PDA

View Full Version : Frisco Updates - Leading Up To Game

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM
The FCS Summit will be packed!

FRISCO, Texas - More than 100 stakeholders in the Football Championship Subdivision have registered for the first of-its-kind FCS Summit, to be held in conjunction with the 2011 NCAA Division I Football Championship Game in Frisco on January 7, 2011.

Supported by the NCAA, the 13 Division I FCS conferences, NACDA and its affiliated FCS Athletic Directors' Association, and NCAA Football, the FCS Summit will serve as a day-long opportunity to review the important issues within the subdivision, including its championship playoff.

FCS athletic directors and conference commissioners from around the country, as well as NCAA staff, television executives and other key football stakeholders are scheduled to attend the Summit. Among the guests will be new NCAA President Mark Emmert, who will speak at the event's luncheon.

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205057009

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Going up around FRISCO!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/209644584.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1292617145&Signature=31bdhV0WrwQ%2F59OyWE4lhERTJjY%3D

http://twitpic.com/3gteso

Panther88
December 17th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I'm there, along w/ quite a few of our coaches. Thx 4 D reminder TT.

Blue Hen 53
December 17th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Has a football game been played at Pizza Hut Park?

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/ncaa/graphics/ncaa-10-6-champ-main-img-m-footbl.jpg

LouiseBFree
December 17th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Yes! xnodx

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/ncaa/graphics/ncaa-10-6-champ-main-img-m-footbl.jpg

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2010, 04:30 PM
The stadium... looking good!

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg614/scaled.php?tn=0&server=614&filename=kq3fw.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

http://yfrog.com/h2kq3fwj

eaglesrback
December 17th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Is that a soccer field? Is it flat or does it have a crown on it?

apaladin
December 17th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Any word on how ticket sales are going. Looks like the closest school left is something like 1,000 miles away?

GaSouthern
December 18th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Any word on how ticket sales are going. Looks like the closest school left is something like 1,000 miles away?

It should have been on the east coast, i'm sorry thats just the way it is :(

With the CAA and SoCon bringing tons of fans over the last 10 years I can't see the logic... i'm happy for EWU though, it will save them a ton of fuel and expense to not go to chatty.

GrabbAnAxe
December 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM

Not sure if a collegiate game has ever been played there, but Texas HS playoff games are played there pretty much every year. It really is a very, very nice facility but it is primarily used for soccer and conerts (notice the big stage on one end).

The surface is pristine, but I couldn't tell you if there was a crown on it. I've been there once and sat basically on top of the field and I didn't notice one, but that was about five years ago.

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2010, 06:25 PM
The attendance will either quiet the critics or ramp things up to a whole new level...

With the teams coming from the 'far reaches' of the FCS map (Washington in the west and Delaware in the east) and conceivably meeting in "the middle" - should be intriguing to see what the final total is!

Blue Hen 53
December 18th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Can't wait for Jan 7th!

Poly's Brutality
December 19th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Definitely very nice field and surrounding environs. No bad seats in the house. My recollection is that the field pitch sits below ground level. Restrooms new and clean, eateries abound, place is spread out, great parking areas. The British pub place in the parking lot (yes, believe it or not, that's what you have there, places close like that) is very good food.

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2010, 06:19 PM
The attendance will either quiet the critics or ramp things up to a whole new level...

With the teams coming from the 'far reaches' of the FCS map (Washington in the west and Delaware in the east) and conceivably meeting in "the middle" - should be intriguing to see what the final total is!

hope your going to the game Tex

bluehenbillk
December 19th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Let's ask the important questions: What time do the lots open for tailgating on Friday??

100%GRIZ
December 19th, 2010, 06:59 PM

With the CAA and SoCon bringing tons of fans over the last 10 years I can't see the logic... i'm happy for EWU though, it will save them a ton of fuel and expense to not go to chatty.

Heaven forbid the East Coast has to travel!

SFA 71
December 19th, 2010, 08:59 PM
hope your going to the game Tex

I'm going. I already have my tickets. I would NEVER have never gone to Chattanooga for the game. For me it's only a 5 hour drive to Dallas. I know because I just got back from the UIL State Championship games, held in Dallas, this weekend.

Have you ever been to the FCS finals. If you have, you might have some credence, if not, what you have to say is immaterial.

Mr. C
December 19th, 2010, 09:10 PM
The FCS Summit will be packed!

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205057009

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be allowing ANY FCS media presence in this. Very bad PR on the part of the sponsoring Southland Conference in that regard.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 19th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I'm going. I already have my tickets. I would NEVER have never gone to Chattanooga for the game. For me it's only a 5 hour drive to Dallas. I know because I just got back from the UIL State Championship games, held in Dallas, this weekend.

Have you ever been to the FCS finals. If you have, you might have some credence, if not, what you have to say is immaterial.

I would definitely be going if it was in Chattanooga. It's an eleven hour drive for me, which is long, but doable. Frisco is over a 20 hour drive, so it would have to be a flight, and then the added cost of a rental car once I get into town, so that makes it a harder decision. I still may go, I'm weighing my options, but it would have been as easy decision if the game were still at Finely.

tarmac
December 19th, 2010, 09:46 PM
wow sold out already

ATX_EWUGrad
December 19th, 2010, 10:15 PM
wow sold out already

What's sold out? The game isn't sold out. There will be plenty of tickets from EWU that will go on sale once they turn in what's left from their allotment and I'm sure there will be a fair share from Delaware's allotment as well. I you want to be able to be at the game, fear not, it just might take a little bit to get your tickets. I already know I'm getting my tickets from Eastern's allotment.

tarmac
December 19th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I was just joking because of the NCAA ad at the first of the thred.

SFA 71
December 19th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I would definitely be going if it was in Chattanooga. It's an eleven hour drive for me, which is long, but doable. Frisco is over a 20 hour drive, so it would have to be a flight, and then the added cost of a rental car once I get into town, so that makes it a harder decision. I still may go, I'm weighing my options, but it would have been as easy decision if the game were still at Finely.

For me it's a 14.5 or 15.5 hour drive to Chattanooga, depending on which way I go, vs. 5.5 hrs to Frisco. It's about time the middle of the country catches a break.
Yep, it's a easy decision if the game was in Finely ... I wouldn't be going!

TexasTerror
December 20th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Unfortunately, they don't seem to be allowing ANY FCS media presence in this. Very bad PR on the part of the sponsoring Southland Conference in that regard.

What do you think the media would get out of this? Do they allow media into NACDA to figure out what the ADs are discussing?

Not saying you are wrong - but isn't there some precedence for blocking out media at similar events?

LouiseBFree
December 20th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I'm sure legitimate media will be allowed in. I stress "legitimate."

henfan
December 20th, 2010, 10:23 AM
It would be nice if the NCAA had a website that worked for those interested in buying tickets to the game. Very bad first impression.xsmhx

danefan
December 20th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Not sure if this was posted anywhere else - Official Championship Game Travel Packages

http://www.primesport.com/sports/division-1-football-championship.asp

You might be able to piece it together for cheaper, but at least it has information specific to both EWU and Delaware fans.

SFA 71
December 20th, 2010, 06:16 PM
This is where I got my tickets. No problems whatsoever.

http://www20.ticketingcentral.com/V2/Quantity.aspx?8CD6E88F718902C

Mr. C
December 20th, 2010, 08:34 PM
What do you think the media would get out of this? Do they allow media into NACDA to figure out what the ADs are discussing?

Not saying you are wrong - but isn't there some precedence for blocking out media at similar events?
There is plenty to be gotten out of this, including having input from the national FCS media on FCS-related issues. There have been FCS summits in the past that were very productive. The Southland Conference made a huge deal out of this with their press releases, which they wanted us to run for them and then basically told us we were not invited. FCS hasn't been like other organizations in the past. There has been plenty of thoughtful interchange between various parties in the past. If you don't think there is anything for the national media to get out of these sessions, you are truly CLUELESS!!!

Mr. C
December 20th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I'm sure legitimate media will be allowed in. I stress "legitimate."

And what do you consider LEGITIMATE media? Apparently ESPN will have some presence. In the FCS world, you have College Sporting and The Sports Network as the major national media. If you shut those outlets out, you are shutting out some good resources.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 20th, 2010, 10:04 PM
And what do you consider LEGITIMATE media? Apparently ESPN will have some presence. In the FCS world, you have College Sporting and The Sports Network as the major national media. If you shut those outlets out, you are shutting out some good resources.

Bloggers are still in a no man's land when it comes to official recognition as members of the press. I like some of the articles coming from CSN and TSN, but compared to ESPN they're two podunk websites. Harkening back to the thread about the last CAA Today article, CSN has a lot of room to improve. Some things are going well, but if CSN wants to be taken seriously ala ESPN, the overall quality, consistency, and frequency of coverage needs to improve.

chrisattsu
December 20th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Like 71,

I am only a few hours from Frisco. I convinced my family that we should go a couple months back. Even though my Cats are not in the game, I am ready for some football.

TexasTerror
December 21st, 2010, 09:29 AM
Several events... perhaps Mr. C will partake in some BBQ! ;)

Great Texas Barbecue Bowl
Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2011 / Frisco Conference Center / 7-9 p.m.
Honoring Eastern Washington and Delaware for earning berths to the NCAA Division I Football Championship Game in Frisco! Entertainment by Lone Star Attitude and great barbecue provided by Randy White's Hall of Fame BBQ, all surrounded by a great western feel. Tickets are $15 for adults, and $10.95 for children 12 and under, and include dinner and a complimentary team bandana. For tickets, go to www.friscochamber.com. Tickets go on sale December 21, 2010.

Champions Luncheon
Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011 / Frisco Conference Center / 11:30 a.m. doors open / Noon-1:30 p.m.
Salute the two teams at the Champions Luncheon! Hear comments from both head coaches about the national championship game, view exciting video highlights, and enjoy a special luncheon guest speaker! Also, the NCAA Elite 88 Award for athletic and academic achievement will be presented to one of the national championship game's participants. Tickets are $50 and a table of eight is $360. www.friscochamber.com.

Tailgate Town
Friday, Jan. 7, 2011 / Pizza Hut Park Gold Parking Lot / Noon-6 p.m. / Admission is Free
Tailgate Town will feature: the Capital One Cup Tour and sport interactives, other NCAA Corporate Champion and Partner activities, a food and beverage area, live music and deejay's, team band performances, youth clinics, autograph sessions, football interactive games, a mechanical bull, children's inflatables, face painters, photo opportunities, tailgate games, live sports talk radio remotes, souvenir sales, contests, prizes and more.

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205058150

bluehenbillk
December 21st, 2010, 09:58 AM
Cool event on Wednesday - Randy White is a native Delawarean - McKean HS grad.

Mr. C
December 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM
Bloggers are still in a no man's land when it comes to official recognition as members of the press. I like some of the articles coming from CSN and TSN, but compared to ESPN they're two podunk websites. Harkening back to the thread about the last CAA Today article, CSN has a lot of room to improve. Some things are going well, but if CSN wants to be taken seriously ala ESPN, the overall quality, consistency, and frequency of coverage needs to improve.

CSN has been covering FCS for over a decade. There are major differences between a news service and a "blogger." I have over 30 years in the journalism business, have covered FCS since 1993 for a variety of agencies and get credentials to almost every event I ask to cover. Most people in FCS take CSN seriously. TSN has some pretty major clients as a news service. I would call either one of them "podunk." ESPN doesn't give a rip about FCS. You might want the outlets like CSN and TSN having more influence.

Mr. C
December 21st, 2010, 10:45 AM
Several events... perhaps Mr. C will partake in some BBQ! ;)

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205058150

Can you write that with a straight face? Those are fan events, not events that are part of this overblown "summit."

Tribe4SF
December 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM
Can you write that with a straight face? Those are fan events, not events that are part of this overblown "summit."

If it's "overblown", why do you want to go?

TexasTerror
December 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM

I'm a big fan of BBQ and figured that those visiting from outside of the state would like to partake in BBQ. Quite frankly, the best BBQ I've ever eaten actually is in NOLA at a place called 'The Joint'.

biggie
December 21st, 2010, 01:58 PM
Let's make sure of something. Beef is not BBQ.

srgrizizen
December 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM

According to my atlas, it's 1870 miles from Spokane to Dallas and 2167 from Spokane to Chatanooga. That's not a significant difference in my opinion. I just hope EWU fans take advantage of this opportunity and turn out, but they don't do so hot even at home. As to the so-called tons of fans from the CAA, I wouldn't be surprised if UM fans equaled or exceeded those from Richmond, JMU or Villanova in Chatanooga in spite of the vast difference in mileage. If anybody has those numbers, feel free to refute this if I'm wrong. However, I don't doubt that Delaware will have more supporters in Frisco than EWU.xtwocentsx

srgrizizen
December 21st, 2010, 03:27 PM
And a mere 1500 miles or so from Dallas to Delaware. The NC game should be in the West half the time! Las vegas would be good.

chrisattsu
December 21st, 2010, 09:52 PM

Thems fighting words around here. Pig/slaw sandwiches just don't do it for me.

SFA 71
December 21st, 2010, 11:36 PM

Oh my God! You are wrong on so many levels! You must be a vegetarian. It's probably best you don't come to the game.xscanx

Rekdiver
December 22nd, 2010, 08:38 AM
Beef is not BBQ. there might be BBQ'd beef but that is not BBQ. The only reason that people started that is because they ddn't have pigs to make real BBQ so they substituted with cattle. That would be like calling pork chops steak...... Slathering all that sauce over Beef to hide the fact thati it is not real BBQ doesn't fool the purists....We Know!

Rekdiver
December 22nd, 2010, 08:44 AM
Besides the mountain man didn't ask Ned Beaty to squeal like a cow......Maybe that was broke back something or other...........

superman7515
December 22nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
And a mere 1500 miles or so from Dallas to Delaware. The NC game should be in the West half the time! Las vegas would be good.

They can't have any NCAA playoff games in Vegas because they allow college sports betting. If Delaware would have been allowed to have college sports betting (even if they agreed not to take bets on Delaware, Delaware State, or Wesley) the NCAA said Delaware would not be allowed to host anymore playoff games.

MaximumBobcat
December 22nd, 2010, 11:10 AM

So wrong.

xpeacex

MaximumBobcat
December 22nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Beef is not BBQ. there might be BBQ'd beef but that is not BBQ. The only reason that people started that is because they ddn't have pigs to make real BBQ so they substituted with cattle. That would be like calling pork chops steak...... Slathering all that sauce over Beef to hide the fact thati it is not real BBQ doesn't fool the purists....We Know!

Obviously you've either never had some good real slow-smoked brisket or all that vinegar in your pork has gone to your head.

xlolx xpeacex

Rekdiver
December 22nd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Exactly.....slow cooked brisket with some sauce all over it.. Might as well be tofu...........

Skjellyfetti
December 22nd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Obviously you've either never had some good real slow-smoked brisket or all that vinegar in your pork has gone to your head.

xlolx xpeacex

I went to school in Texas my freshman year and had platefulls of brisket as often as I could get it. It's delicious.

But, it's not barbecue.

McNeese72
December 22nd, 2010, 11:31 AM

From dictionary.com:

bar·be·cue   /ˈbɑrbɪˌkyu/ Show Spelled
[bahr-bi-kyoo] Show IPA
noun, verb, -cued, -cu·ing.
–noun
1. pieces of beef, fowl, fish, or the like, roasted over an open hearth, esp. when basted in a barbecue sauce.
2. a framework, as a grill or a spit, or a fireplace for cooking meat or vegetables over an open fire.
3. a dressed steer, lamb, or other animal, roasted whole.
4. a meal, usually in the open air and often as a political or social gathering, at which meats are roasted over an open hearth or pit.

Doc

MaximumBobcat
December 22nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Exactly.....slow cooked brisket with some sauce all over it.. Might as well be tofu...........

If you go to the right places, brisket needs no bbq sauce.

Big Al
December 22nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
They can't have any NCAA playoff games in Vegas because they allow college sports betting. If Delaware would have been allowed to have college sports betting (even if they agreed not to take bets on Delaware, Delaware State, or Wesley) the NCAA said Delaware would not be allowed to host anymore playoff games.

The gaping hole in the NCAA's thinking is that they certify a bowl game (MAACO Las Vegas Bowl) in Las Vegas every year.

Big Al
December 22nd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Everyone in the midwest knows that throwing some burgers and brats on the grill is barbecueing.

Now that oughtta get some of you purists worked up!

Rekdiver
December 22nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
A Dictionary? You have to be kidding me..........That is a PC "definition" pandering to the Beef industry. We know the TRUTH.

As far as the playoff location. I've suggested time and time again to put it somewhere that is a destination, especially a warm one in January. Florida, Southern California or a fun city with a dome. (a big dome). Give people a reason to bring the family for a vacation while we are at the game.

Bogus Megapardus
December 22nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
From a northeastern perspective:

Barbecue as a verb - to cook just about any kind of meat on an open-fire grill. Vegetables can't be barbecued even if they are cooked on the same grill at the same time.

Barbecue as a noun - slow-cooked pork, either pulled or on ribs. Does not necessarily need sauce.

In the northeast, Piggy Pat's in Utica, NY, for example, serves "barbecue" as a noun. I'll stop there if I'm withing 50 miles. It's a short little road trip for our lucky friends at Colgate and Cornell.

http://www.piggypats.com/

bluehenbillk
December 22nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
uh-oh, here we go, kansas city vs memphis vs texas vs carolina when it comes to bbq

Having been at all those places I'd say Kansas City is the winner IMO.

LouiseBFree
December 22nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
Huh?!?!?! "Overblown"??? Kinda like an anonymous blogger proclaiming himself as a "media" member???

danefan
December 22nd, 2010, 03:37 PM
Huh?!?!?! "Overblown"??? Kinda like an anonymous blogger proclaiming himself as a "media" member???

In fairness to Mr. C he's not really an anonymous blogger. CSN does blog using real names and he's never actually been one to hide his identity like some others have.

danefan
December 22nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Back on the target of the thread - 'best available' tickets are now down between the goal line and 10 yard line up in Row 19.

Apparently word from the ticket office is tickets are being scooped up at a pace quicker then expected.

Hopefully that bodes well for attendance.xsmileyclapx

blukeys
December 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Is there any media coverage going on in the D-FW area???

SFA 71
December 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Everyone in the midwest knows that throwing some burgers and brats on the grill is barbecueing.Now that oughtta get some of you purists worked up!

Nahhh. that's grilling. Go get your Weber! xscanx

Panther88
December 23rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Is there any media coverage going on in the D-FW area???

Haven't seen anything since returning yesterday from Waikiki. It's going head to head for coverage on the same day w/ the 1st annual cotton bowl to be held @ 80,000 seat/110,000 SRO Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Since it's a local-type aTm vs LSU matchup, I'm sure media coverage for those two will dominate the airways as the cb committee attempts to drum up even more interest for their game.

I'll be in Frisco (~30-40min drive from Southlake::114 construction), weather permitting, to see what the hoopla is regarding the FCS nat'l champ game.