PDA

View Full Version : APP adding 1,500 endzone seats

tarmac
December 17th, 2010, 06:49 AM
http://highcountrypress.com/weekly/2010/12-16-10/asu-to-add-student.htm

DECEMBER 16, 2010 ISSUE
ASU To Add Student Seating in Kidd Brewer’s North Endzone

Story by Anna Oakes

On December 10, the ASU Board of Trustees approved a recommended increase of $70 to student athletic fees. The increase, which must be approved by the University of North Carolina system Board of Governors, would in part fund a $200,000 addition of student seating to Kidd Brewer Stadium.

Charlie Cobb, ASU Athletics director, said the additional seating would provide “temporary seating in the end zone to introduce the concept of additional seats.” The plan is subject to design changes and approvals, but ideally, it would include bleachers to be positioned in the north end zone and partially on the track, Cobb said, providing 1,500 additional seats.

The addition is to meet demand from students and will not supplant any current student seating in the stadium. The bleachers would be set up in late summer 2011.

sounds like they may be similar to the 1,500 at Boise State
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/dmanuhone/boiseseats.jpg

Blue Hen 53
December 17th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Time for my beloved Hens to keep up with the Jones' and spend some dough on stadium/facility upgrades! Enough talk about what we're gonna do...DO IT!

bostonspider
December 17th, 2010, 09:08 AM
That looks like a lot more than 1500 seats at BSU. UR has 1600 seats in their endzone, which looks like this.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f204/SarasotaFlorida/rs.jpg

blueballs
December 17th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Time for Georgia Southern to bust a move with their seating too.

proasu89
December 17th, 2010, 02:09 PM

Paulson seems to be one of the easiest to expand. Just wrap around.

Blue Hen 53
December 17th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Horseshow The Tub!

Blue Hen 53
December 17th, 2010, 03:44 PM
http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/facilities/2010DEStadium.jpg

Horseshow The Tub!

seantaylor
December 17th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Not gonna happen until the biggest rube AD in the country is fired. Forget the fact that we haven't expanded since he got here in 95, even though enrollment has went up almost 10,000 and we are 130% over capacity.

tarmac
December 20th, 2010, 07:57 PM
latest word

http://www.news.appstate.edu/2010/12/20/tuition-increase/

The increased athletics fee will offset the cost of scholarships for out-of-state student athletes and to add metal bleachers to a section of Kidd Brewer Stadium. Legislation granting tuition waivers to out-of-state student-athletes was repealed in this year’s legislative session. The bleachers, which would be placed in a grassy area near Owens Field House, would add 2,000 to 3,000 seats to the stadium.

SoCon48
December 20th, 2010, 08:11 PM
latest word

http://www.news.appstate.edu/2010/12/20/tuition-increase/

The increased athletics fee will offset the cost of scholarships for out-of-state student athletes and to add metal bleachers to a section of Kidd Brewer Stadium. Legislation granting tuition waivers to out-of-state student-athletes was repealed in this year’s legislative session. The bleachers, which would be placed in a grassy area near Owens Field House, would add 2,000 to 3,000 seats to the stadium.

Where is the grassy area?

tarmac
December 20th, 2010, 10:21 PM
north endzone Owens FH

fake grassy area

walliver
December 20th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Where is the grassy area?

It's where JFK's assassins hid in Dealy Plaza.

biggie
December 21st, 2010, 08:04 AM
This should add some interest on where/how the visiting team will come out of the FH.

Rekdiver
December 21st, 2010, 08:24 AM
Yeah they can come behind the bleachers and we can throw stuff at them........

asknoquarter21
Yea maybe no one will see them as they come out anymore.

Nothing I hate more than booing the other team as our team is about to come out on the field.

superman7515
Yeah they can come behind the bleachers and we can throw stuff at them........

Tool

ThompsonThe
December 21st, 2010, 08:54 AM
Well, it started at 1500 then went to 2000 to 3000 in the student newspaper quote. I am waiting for it to go on up to 10,000 additional before I get really interested. Even with 10,000 there would have been no seats for some games except the opposite grassy bank on the other end zone. At least some people will not give up on getting seats with 10,000 if they put that many on the North side since they averaged almost 30,000 during the regular season.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2010, 12:04 PM
Well, it started at 1500 then went to 2000 to 3000 in the student newspaper quote. I am waiting for it to go on up to 10,000 additional before I get really interested. Even with 10,000 there would have been no seats for some games except the opposite grassy bank on the other end zone. At least some people will not give up on getting seats with 10,000 if they put that many on the North side since they averaged almost 30,000 during the regular season.Wait, it's already up to 3,000 we're adding? Great! We C-USA now? THAT'S ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS, lol.

asknoquarter21
December 21st, 2010, 01:44 PM
Can you keep a secret......

Smitty
December 22nd, 2010, 09:09 AM
Wait, it's already up to 3,000 we're adding? Great! We C-USA now? THAT'S ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS, lol.

So you want to go to C-USA? What school has ever done anything in that division?

SideLine Shooter
December 22nd, 2010, 09:12 AM
So you want to go to C-USA? What school has ever done anything in that division?

not me.

look at the source.

AppAlum2003
December 22nd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Can you keep a secret......

No, but spill the beans anyway.

WUTNDITWAA
December 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM

What has Western ever done in the Southern Conference? But yet, here we are having this conversation.

Smitty
December 22nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
What has Western ever done in the Southern Conference? But yet, here we are having this conversation.

Okay? I was just saying that C-USA is one of the lowest teirs of the FBS that doesn't get much recognition other than the bottom half of the Rivals 120 list. Why would you like to leave national attention of the FCS to go to a nobody in FBS.

superman7515
December 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Like it or not, the bottom half of the Rivals 120 list gets more recognition than FCS. And I'm not saying that anyone should or shouldn't move anywhere, but strictly speaking to the "national attention" of the FCS... there's very little national attention for FCS.

Skjellyfetti
December 22nd, 2010, 03:39 PM

TCU, Louisville, and Cincinatti did very well in C-USA. TCU was an epic-meltdown-against-Southern-Miss away from going to the Fiesta Bowl while in C-USA.

WUTNDITWAA
December 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Okay? I was just saying that C-USA is one of the lowest teirs of the FBS that doesn't get much recognition other than the bottom half of the Rivals 120 list. Why would you like to leave national attention of the FCS to go to a nobody in FBS.

What national attention? Please tell me, because I've run out of places to look.

dakotadan
December 22nd, 2010, 08:05 PM

xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx xlolx

Saint3333
December 22nd, 2010, 08:14 PM

I don't think CUSA is beating down ASU's door, but if they were it would be a no brainer from a football perspective.

Sample CUSA regular season home schedule:

VA Tech
Ohio
Tulane
UAB
UTEP
ECU

Yeah I'd take that over NC Central, Jacksonville, Elon, Wofford, Furman, and Citadel.

ThompsonThe
December 22nd, 2010, 10:22 PM

Right now, the WAC would be the lowest FBS, the MAC the 2nd lowest, SunBelt the 3d lowest conference, and maybe C-USA after that. So the lowest tier FBS conference, I don't think so. The WAC may not even exist soon they are in such dire straights.
Doesn't really matter so much. Would be great to form a WAC East consisting of about 9 FCS teams, so that everyone could play regionally. Could work, but will probably never happen.

Smitty
December 23rd, 2010, 02:04 PM
What national attention? Please tell me, because I've run out of places to look.

You can tell when fans are spoiled when 3 National Championships don't mean anything any more. I can't get anywhere in NC without hearing or seeing billboards about App and their championships.

tractorapp
December 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
The championships are very, very special. But, I think from a football standpoint, App needs another challenge to build on the momentum we have. Hard for the average App fan to get very excited about a confence schedule that includes Sanford, Elon, Citadel, etc. As Saint said earlier, conference games against ECU, Marshall, UAB, etc would generate a lot of excitement. I only hope that Georgia Southern gets it together and moves up with us.

superman7515
December 23rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
You can tell when fans are spoiled when 3 National Championships don't mean anything any more. I can't get anywhere in NC without hearing or seeing billboards about App and their championships.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying because App St is well known throughout North Carolina they have the national attention others are speaking of?

boonegoon
December 23rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
The championships are very, very special. But, I think from a football standpoint, App needs another challenge to build on the momentum we have. Hard for the average App fan to get very excited about a confence schedule that includes Sanford, Elon, Citadel, etc. As Saint said earlier, conference games against ECU, Marshall, UAB, etc would generate a lot of excitement. I only hope that Georgia Southern gets it together and moves up with us.

First, for the record, I love the playoff system. However, I'm starting to get behind the move up too. If, for nothing else, for what you bring up. How cool would it be for North Carolina in general to have ECU, NCSU, even UNC come to Boone ?! It may be a stretch but having even also ran FBS schools actually make the journey to your stadium would be great.

AppMan
December 23rd, 2010, 05:07 PM
ASU isn't a five year phenomenon. Over the past 15 years ASU is 82-19 (81%) in SoCon play and 137-37 (79%) vs all 1-aa / FCS teams. With the exception of GSU (7 of the 19 league losses), the Apps have clearly dominated the conference and division. In terms of facilities, attendance, support, and winning percentage there are only 2-3 FCS programs which compare. This isn’t based on arrogance or braggadocio, but solid facts. It is obvious ASU has outgrown the FCS and needs some new challenges.

GSU EAGLES
December 23rd, 2010, 05:36 PM

I am with you there. We have a new President in the past year and he appears to be Very pro-athletics. In fact he stormed the field with the fans when we beat you guys in Paulson this year and went to all the road games during the playoff run. There appears to be an announcement coming in January regarding improvements to Paulson so hopefully we are heading toward facility improvements that will put us in position to move up. We appear to be in position to make a run and make a surge in fan base growth similar to what App has done. I hope the App and GSU's President have discussed moving up and would do so as a package deal to maintain the rivalry.

The question is the conference. GSU fans are lukewarm about the Sun Belt and I am sure App fans would be against it even more with the travel issues. I would love to see the teams in the CAA (Delaware, ODU, Ga State) combine with App, GSU and perhaps UNC charlotte, ECU, UAB, MTSU, Marshall etc. Could you ever see Marshall and ECU leaving the CUSA for that though?.....I doubt it

I-16Bandit
December 23rd, 2010, 10:51 PM

Agreed.

asknoquarter21
December 24th, 2010, 09:08 AM
ASU, GSU, and JMU all make so much sense to join the C-USA together.

They would need one more team (ODU) to go with them in order to make the C-USA a 16 team conference and have 2 8 team divisions.

Leaders division: ASU, GSU, JMU, ODU, Marshall, ECU, Memphis, UCF
Legends division: Tulane, Tulsa, UTEP, SMU, Southern Miss, Hou, UAB, Rice

wr70beh
December 25th, 2010, 12:08 PM
ASU, GSU, and JMU all make so much sense to join the C-USA together.

They would need one more team (ODU) to go with them in order to make the C-USA a 16 team conference and have 2 8 team divisions.

Leaders division: ASU, GSU, JMU, ODU, Marshall, ECU, Memphis, UCF
Legends division: Tulane, Tulsa, UTEP, SMU, Southern Miss, Hou, UAB, Rice

Leaders and Legends? In that group?

UCF will probably move to Big East in all sports, anyway. Orlando market is very desirable, and will have a rival in USF.

Mr. C
December 26th, 2010, 12:17 AM

Wow, another challenge? Which Piece of Crap Bowl do you think offers that? The moment you move to FBS that is all of the challenge you will EVER have. Appalachian State has the opportunity to be a little fish that has the chance to take on an occasional big fish and make some noise. Almost nobody will care about ASU football if the Mountaineers move to FBS, you won't see any of your players recognized on All-American teams and you will be a part of conferences like the Sun Belt, C-USA, the MAC and the WAC that will never matter in the larger scheme of FBS. And you are not going to find any significant teams willing to bus it up the mountain to play in Boone. I've heard all of the ego-centric arguments from a certain group of ASU fans that want to move up and I've yet to hear even one that makes any logical sense.

Saint3333
December 26th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I'm pretty sure every FBS program will host a BCS program at home within the next five years.

I believe you may be ignoring some of the facts just as most of the pro-FBSers are. This is a classic case of pot and kettle.

The main discussion point is regular season vs. postseason or (big fish-little pond).

I've been a fence sitter in the past but I'm not excited the direction of the FCS, is winning the national title without programs like Nova, UMass, etc. while programs like South Alabama, Texas St. and potential other startup programs headed to the FBS really saying much. The external factors more so than internal may force ASU to make the move.

AppMan
December 26th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Wow, another challenge? Which Piece of Crap Bowl do you think offers that? The moment you move to FBS that is all of the challenge you will EVER have. Appalachian State has the opportunity to be a little fish that has the chance to take on an occasional big fish and make some noise. Almost nobody will care about ASU football if the Mountaineers move to FBS, you won't see any of your players recognized on All-American teams and you will be a part of conferences like the Sun Belt, C-USA, the MAC and the WAC that will never matter in the larger scheme of FBS. And . I've heard all of the ego-centric arguments from a certain group of ASU fans that want to move up and I've yet to hear even one that makes any logical sense.

Yes another challenge. You can ridicule the bowls ‘til doomsday and it won't change the fact teams playing in them receive more publicity than the entire FCS playoff field. You make wild accusations like “nobody will care about ASU if the Mountaineers move to FBS.” Do you actually mean to infer many of the nearly 30,000 people who come to Boone to see such powerhouses as NC Central, Jacksonville, and the majority of SoCon schools will suddenly stop attending when the competition on the field is better? That is an interesting concept. You also make the impetuous comment, "you are not going to find any significant teams willing to bus it up the mountain to play in Boone?" First you need to define what a “significant team” is. If you mean BCS level teams you may be right, but one never knows. If you are referring to all FBS teams I suppose we are to assume you have personally spoken to every FBS AD east of the Mississippi River and they have gone on record saying they will not play in Boone. Add 10,000 more seats to KBS (which can easily be done) and a lot of teams will fly into Hickory and make the 45 minute drive up to Boone. When people make such outlandish remarks it clearly indicates their position is based on emotion and ignorance, not fact.

You denigrate those who desire to see the Apps in FBS for using ego based arguments to support their position. Yet the evidence clearly shows it is the pro FCS people who are the ego maniacs. All the alarmist talk of no longer seeing players on All American teams, receiving player of the week recognition, their school not being ranked in national polls, or listed among national statistical leaders is about as egotistic as it can get. ASU fans who favor FBS do so because they want to see the Mountaineers play at a higher level of competition. I carry no illusion ASU is on par with BCS level schools, but the program has grown far beyond the scope of FCS football. Anyone who refuses to admit that has their head buried deeply in the sand.

Unfortunately there are a lot of experts out there who have zero knowledge of what is happening behind the scenes in Boone and other places around the country. I understand this is an open forum where people are free to express their opinions. My problem is when they state opinion as fact without any evidence to back up their words.

SideLine Shooter
December 26th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Wow, another challenge? Which Piece of Crap Bowl do you think offers that? The moment you move to FBS that is all of the challenge you will EVER have. Appalachian State has the opportunity to be a little fish that has the chance to take on an occasional big fish and make some noise. Almost nobody will care about ASU football if the Mountaineers move to FBS, you won't see any of your players recognized on All-American teams and you will be a part of conferences like the Sun Belt, C-USA, the MAC and the WAC that will never matter in the larger scheme of FBS. And you are not going to find any significant teams willing to bus it up the mountain to play in Boone. I've heard all of the ego-centric arguments from a certain group of ASU fans that want to move up and I've yet to hear even one that makes any logical sense.

xoutofrepx

SoCon48
December 26th, 2010, 04:26 PM
At least we pick our easy opponents from our "division" unlike FBS programs.

SoCon48
December 26th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Unfortunately there are a lot of experts out there who have zero knowledge of what is happening behind the scenes

And you always know what's happening behind the scenes??

SoCon48
December 26th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Yes another challenge. You can ridicule the bowls ‘til doomsday and it won't change the fact teams playing in them receive more publicity than the entire FCS playoff field. You make wild accusations like “nobody will care about ASU if the Mountaineers move to FBS.” Do you actually mean to infer many of the nearly 30,000 people who come to Boone to see such powerhouses as NC Central, Jacksonville, and the majority of SoCon schools will suddenly stop attending when the competition on the field is better? That is an interesting concept. You also make the impetuous comment, "you are not going to find any significant teams willing to bus it up the mountain to play in Boone?" First you need to define what a “significant team” is. If you mean BCS level teams you may be right, but one never knows. If you are referring to all FBS teams I suppose we are to assume you have personally spoken to every FBS AD east of the Mississippi River and they have gone on record saying they will not play in Boone. Add 10,000 more seats to KBS (which can easily be done) and a lot of teams will fly into Hickory and make the 45 minute drive up to Boone. When people make such outlandish remarks it clearly indicates their position is based on emotion and ignorance, not fact.

You denigrate those who desire to see the Apps in FBS for using ego based arguments to support their position. Yet the evidence clearly shows it is the pro FCS people who are the ego maniacs. All the alarmist talk of no longer seeing players on All American teams, receiving player of the week recognition, their school not being ranked in national polls, or listed among national statistical leaders is about as egotistic as it can get. ASU fans who favor FBS do so because they want to see the Mountaineers play at a higher level of competition. I carry no illusion ASU is on par with BCS level schools, but the program has grown far beyond the scope of FCS football. Anyone who refuses to admit that has their head buried deeply in the sand.

Unfortunately there are a lot of experts out there who have zero knowledge of what is happening behind the scenes in Boone and other places around the country. I understand this is an open forum where people are free to express their opinions. My problem is when they state opinion as fact without any evidence to back up their words.

1. Do you have to flame everyone who disses a move to FBS with condesending posts?
2. Is the FCS board the right place to denigrate FCS?

MountaineerNation
December 26th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I like how this thread started when it was "Oh hey cool, we're adding some temporary bleachers!"

AppMan
December 26th, 2010, 10:19 PM

Please explain.

"And you always know what's happening behind the scenes??

Did I say that?

"1. Do you have to flame everyone who disses a move to FBS with condesending posts?"

When the statements are presented as fact, when they are merely opinion with no factual support, I will call attention to them. You say my response was condesending, but what about the post which elicited my rebuttal? Do you not think statements like; "Which Piece of Crap Bowl do you think offers that?", or "Appalachian State has the opportunity to be a little fish that has the chance to take on an occasional big fish and make some noise", and "I've heard all of the ego-centric arguments from a certain group of ASU fans that want to move up", contain no condescension at all? The tone of my response was very much in line with the initial comments.

"2. Is the FCS board the right place to denigrate FCS?"

Please quote where I made a derogatory statement towards FCS football? Wonder if the board administrator thinks I am putting down FCS?

WUTNDITWAA
December 27th, 2010, 11:48 AM

You're confusing championships with championship tradition. We've won championships in the past, and thus, have a healthy championship tradition, with an overall record that's among the top 30 in both divisions of college football. What more is there to prove that ASU is ready for the next level? Win another championship? Beat another top-five team? I'd love to. But the fact is that we're going to reach a critical mass problem, and if we don't do something toward moving up, we'll start to fall from our perch. Some would argue that we're starting to slip now.

WUTNDITWAA
December 27th, 2010, 11:52 AM

In name only. NC Central is transitioning to Division I FCS status, and Jacksonville plays non-scholarship football, which means if the NCAA would let them, the Dolphins would play football as a Division III. Hardly "our division".

KiddBrewer
December 28th, 2010, 08:34 PM
so, about those bleachers......xeyebrowx;)

AppMan
December 29th, 2010, 09:50 AM
so, about those bleachers......xeyebrowx;)

Most interesting comment in the release:

Charlie Cobb, ASU Athletics director, said the additional seating would provide “temporary seating in the end zone to introduce the concept of additional seats.”

I were a betting man I'd say a new location for the track has been found. Keep in mind the Irwin Belk Foundation gave around $1 million for naming rights to the track. That goes a long ways towards having it moved to another location. I have to think permanent end zone seats are in the not so distant future.

SoCon48
December 29th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Most interesting comment in the release:

Charlie Cobb, ASU Athletics director, said the additional seating would provide “temporary seating in the end zone to introduce the concept of additional seats.”

I were a betting man I'd say a new location for the track has been found. Keep in mind the Irwin Belk Foundation gave around $1 million for naming rights to the track. That goes a long ways towards having it moved to another location. I have to think permanent end zone seats are in the not so distant future.

What he meant was "introduce the concept of end zone seats."

SoCon48
December 29th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Wonder if the board administrator thinks I am putting down FCS?

He should.

AppMan
December 30th, 2010, 12:40 PM
What he meant was "introduce the concept of end zone seats."

Did ever dawn on you that might have been the reason I highlighted that part of his quote?

grayghost06
December 30th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Do you Mountaineer fans think if they were to move the track, you all would lower the field and add a ring of seats where the track used to be? Or perhaps instead, reconstruct the whole lower levels with a grade( steepness) more in line with the upper portion of the stadium? It looks like your lower stands rise at a shallow angle which would create a lot of blocked views.

BlackNGold
December 30th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Do you Mountaineer fans think if they were to move the track, you all would lower the field and add a ring of seats where the track used to be? Or perhaps instead, reconstruct the whole lower levels with a grade( steepness) more in line with the upper portion of the stadium? It looks like your lower stands rise at a shallow angle which would create a lot of blocked views.

Cant be lowered... there's an undergrownd creek that runs directly beneath the field.... who knows... 50 foot hole could do some big damage to the field.. who knows?

grayghost06
December 31st, 2010, 07:35 AM
Well if that's the case, there really isn't much incentive to do away with the track. All you would have is an opportunity to build end zone seating, but you'd still have that big gap from sideline to field. Put your engineers to work and re-route that stream!

Saint3333
December 31st, 2010, 07:56 AM
I'd like to see the track removed and something like UD is proposing in the North endzone. The 3K temp bleachers there will help. KBS will be close to 25K seats with capacity close to 34K next year.

AppMan
December 31st, 2010, 08:21 AM
A close friend who has been in the heavy earth moving equipment business for 30 years tells me that stream can be contained quite easily and is done on construction sites every day. One example is right on campus as a very large stream is routed directly beneath our basketball arena. The issue is money and time. The real issue is, as I understand it, the bedrock under that field. To remove it would require lots of money and time. Many stadiums have large sideline areas, the issue with KBS is end zone seating. A spot on the bank at KBS is a mile from the action. Without the track there is a lot of room to accomodate a ton of seating in those endzones.

BlackNGold
December 31st, 2010, 08:51 AM
The bank will never be touched (well there will never be seats there)..... If the track is removed and field lowered seats will be added to the east and west getting fans closer to the action near the sidelines... The North endzone will get permanent seating (all but knocking out the old field house)... but the bank side will always remain a bank. They may make it less steep extending it close to the endzone but they'll never put in seats on that side... for one its tradition.. and two their not gonna wanna block that backdrop.

AppMan
January 2nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
The bank will never be touched (well there will never be seats there)..... If the track is removed and field lowered seats will be added to the east and west getting fans closer to the action near the sidelines... The North endzone will get permanent seating (all but knocking out the old field house)... but the bank side will always remain a bank. They may make it less steep extending it close to the endzone but they'll never put in seats on that side... for one its tradition.. and two their not gonna wanna block that backdrop.

Please tell me more of this proclimation which guarantees the bank will never be touched. I've been around since the late 70's and would love to see it.

tarmac
January 2nd, 2011, 10:55 AM
if the old field house ever goes because of seating something will be needed to replace the lost office, meeting spaces, old weight room, visitors locker room.

I am assuming that the old home locker room and other spaces are used by track amd field hockey. If we go FBS we will need a larger visitors locker room,right?

Do football visitors still use the old visitors locker room or have the been moved to the old home locker room?

AppMan
January 2nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Visiting team locker room is still being used. I'm not sure if FH and track use the other space. Most of the upper floor is vacant. All strength & conditioning personnel are in the new building, so the old weight room is not being used. Plenty of space in front of Owens for new seats wihout disturbing it. Personally I would have rather seen Owens expanded / remodeled with new seating in front of it over the monster we built. Still needed the new press box and suites, but the other could have been done for a lot less money and just as nice.

bigCasu
January 3rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
AppMan,

Surely you heard that the cost of expansion and remodeling of Owens would have included basically decking the entire building and starting from scratch. Would have probably cost the same, wouldnt have looked as nice, and been much smaller, and of course wouldnt have set up perfectly for the future like the current AAC has.

AppMan
January 3rd, 2011, 03:12 PM
AppMan,

Surely you heard that the cost of expansion and remodeling of Owens would have included basically decking the entire building and starting from scratch. Would have probably cost the same, wouldnt have looked as nice, and been much smaller, and of course wouldnt have set up perfectly for the future like the current AAC has.

Nope did not hear that. After 30+ years I do know a little about construction and I'm telling you we could have had a better facility, plus additional seating at a much lower cost. But the track had to be moved. Would not have been necessary to tear down Owens, but if they elected to do so it would have cost far less than the $1.5 million excavation, site prep and slurry wall for the AAC.

bigCasu
January 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Nope did not hear that. After 30+ years I do know a little about construction and I'm telling you we could have had a better facility, plus additional seating at a much lower cost. But the track had to be moved. Would not have been necessary to tear down Owens, but if they elected to do so it would have cost far less than the $1.5 million excavation, site prep and slurry wall for the AAC.

I think that was the key. At that point in time, moving the track just wasnt in the cards. Although I am not as big of a proponent as you are in moving it, I think it is starting to become more and more likely. We just cant cram any more people into what we currently have, and we know the demand is there. Do you think the Chancellors suite, and Luxury boxes were unneccessary?

Saint3333
January 4th, 2011, 10:13 AM
At the current rates, over the next 30 years the boxes (with an average of 16 of 18 used) and club seats will generate $12M and $10M respectively. I think more club seats could be sold.

AppMan
January 5th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I think that was the key. At that point in time, moving the track just wasnt in the cards. Although I am not as big of a proponent as you are in moving it, I think it is starting to become more and more likely. We just cant cram any more people into what we currently have, and we know the demand is there. Do you think the Chancellors suite, and Luxury boxes were unneccessary?

No I think the suites, club seats and new press box are a good thing. It's the five floors holding them up I have an issue with. The building is great to look at, but in a lot ways is not very functional. The weight room on the second floor is directly over the training room amd the sound of those weights hitting the floor is deafening. I thought they were coming through the ceiling a couple of time. You can hear them throughout the entire building. Putting the locker room where it is cost an additional $150,000 to build the "ditch" (as Armanti called it) to get players to the field. Not to mention the disruption of having the players come through the crowd. I think the rush to get the suites and club seats built (for the reasons Saint outlined) took precedence over the building itself. Plus, we have an architect who just happens to be in the process of building a facility at Wake Forest that will work quite nicely for ASU and save some cash on designing of a new structure. Apparently Cobb forgot about the north end zone facility which had already gone through the design phases. Personally, I thought it looked great and would have really enhanced the stadium.