PDA

View Full Version : LEHIGH ANNOUNCES CLASS OF 2010

ngineer
February 20th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Announced at www.lehighsports.com the new recruiting class of new HC Andy Coen. Just stopped home at lunch and no tme to review, but thought I'd post it (if my cut and pasBETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh head football coach Andy Coen has announced the addition of 29 players to the Lehigh program that comprise the Class of 2010. The incoming group looks to make an impact on a Mountain Hawks program that has captured more Patriot League titles than any other member institution, and help carry on the strong tradition of a program that has won eight or more games in each of the last eight seasons.

“I am very pleased with the way this class wound up," said Coen, set to begin his first season in Bethlehem as Lehigh’s head coach. “We had a late surge and were able to attract quality student-athletes and get good numbers.”

In all, over 60% of student-athletes who took part in on-campus visits ended up committing to the program. “Our success rate [this year] is a tribute to Lehigh’s tradition of success,” said Coen. “Tradition doesn’t graduate; it perpetuates with every class every year.”

Once again, Lehigh has focused a great deal on ensuring that local talent remains in the area. Four newcomers to the Lehigh program played high school ball within minutes of Lehigh’s Goodman Stadium. “When I was here [previously as offensive coordinator], I coached some future Lehigh Hall of Famers that were Lehigh Valley guys,” Coen explained. “Because of the quality of play here, it is important to focus recruiting efforts in the area.”

Although Lehigh’s staff spent significant time recruiting in the Valley, this year’s class has a nationwide feel. Eight states are represented amongst the group. “We are committed to recruiting in Pennsylvania and New Jersey,” Coen points out, “yet it’s important to expand our reach and be able to recruit further from campus, too. This year, we went back into California and maintained our strong ties to Georgia, where we have experienced success in the past.”

In terms of positional help, Lehigh has added a bit of everything. “We needed to address the linebacker postions, and we have done that, both inside and out,” Coen points out. The Lehigh Class of 2010 is comprised of six linebackers, including Heath Brickner (Jefferson Hills, Pa.), Matt Cohen (Slatington, Pa.), Al Pierce (Moorestown, N.J.), Darrell Ray (Philadelphia, Pa.), Tobi Showunmi (Langhorne, Pa.), and James Tyree (Philadelphia, Pa.).

Lehigh also needed to bring in some help at both offensive and defensive line, and Coen believes the Mountain Hawks’ coaching staff has done that. “On both sides of the lines, we were able to bring in some big and athletic linemen,” he explained. In all, Lehigh will welcome four new linemen on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. Offensive linemen Chris Aaron (Palos Verdes, Calif.), Ben Harden (Westerville, Ohio), Aaron Jones (Springfield, Ohio), and Sean Lezgus (Denville, N.J.) will join the squad this fall. On the defensive side of the ball, linemen B.J. Benning (Ellicott City, Md.), Steve Brown (Norcross, Ga.), Joe Dancho (Nazareth, Pa.), and Frank Giacalone (Cranbury, N.J.) will all don the Brown and White in August.

Lehigh also made inroads in bringing in talent at the skill positions, helping to replace a large graduating class following the 2005 season. Wide receivers Kevin Ackler (Newtown, Pa.), Evan Johnson (Monrovia, Calif.), Adam Mancino (Wall, N.J.), Jim Potocnie (Whitehall, Pa.), Brien Ruyak (Bethlehem, Pa.), and Dane Trotter (Danbury, Vt.), along with tight end Connor Crawford (Haddonfield, N.J.), have joined the program and will look to help replenish a wide receiver corps that was hard-hit by graduation following the 2005 campaign.

Other skill position players joining the program this fall include quarterbacks Chris Bokosky (Birdsboro, Pa.) and Jesse Sanchez (Saddle Brook, N.J.), and running backs Anthony Fossati (Upper Saddle River, N.J.), Sean Parrott (Loney, Md.), and Mike Rodriguez (Fairfield, Conn.).

The other areas of the program will be strengthened as well thanks to new additions, including special teams (punter/kicker Angel Lazo of Green Brook, N.J.) and the defensive secondary. New defensive backs joining the program include Femi Ajewole (Baltimore, Md.) and Dan Parris (Pottstown, Pa.).

Lehigh will open its 2006 season on September 2, when the Mountain Hawks host Albany at Goodman Stadium in Bethlehem.

Name
Pos.
Ht.
Wt.
Hometown/High School
Major

Chris Aaron
OL
6-3
Palos Verdes, Calif./Palos Verdes
Business

Kevin Ackler
WR
6-2
Newtown, Pa./Council Rock
Engineering

Femi Ajewole
DB
5-9
Baltimore, Md./Woodlawn
Arts and Sciences

B.J. Benning
DL
6-0
Ellicott City, Md./River Hill
Arts and Sciences

Chris Bokosky
QB
6-0
Birdsboro, Pa./Daniel Boone
Business

Heath Brickner
LB
6-3
Jefferson Hills, Pa./Thomas Jefferson
Engineering

Steve Brown
DL
6-4
Norcross, Ga./Wesleyan School
Engineering

Matt Cohen
LB
6-2
Slatington, Pa./

Allentown Central Catholic
Business

Connor Crawford
TE
6-3
Haddonfield, N.J./Camden Catholic
Business

Joe Dancho
DT
6-1
Nazareth, Pa./Bethlehem Catholic
Arts and Sciences

Anthony Fossati
FB
6-1
Upper Saddle River, N.J./

North Highlands Regional
Business

Frank Giacalone
DE
6-3
Cranbury, N.J./Princeton H.S.
Engineering

Ben Harden
OL
6-2
Westerville, Ohio/

St. Francis De Sales
Arts and Sciences

Evan Johnson
WR/DB
5-10
Monrovia, Calif./Salisbury
Business

Aaron Jones
OL
6-4
Springfield, Ohio/Springfield South
Business

Angel Lazo
P/PK
6-0
Green Brook, N.J./

Watchung Hills Regional
Arts and Sciences

Sean Lezgus
OL
6-3
Denville, N.J./Morris Catholic
Business

Adam Mancino
WR/DB
5-11
Wall, N.J./Wall
Business

Dan Parris
DB
6-2
Pottstown, Pa./

Valley Forge Military Academy
Business

Sean Parrott
RB
5-8
Loney, Md./Good Counsel
Arts and Sciences

Al Pierce
LB
6-1
Moorestown, N.J./

Hargrave Military Academy
Business

Jim Potocnie
WR
6-0
Whitehall, Pa./Whitehall
Arts and Sciences

Darrell Ray
LB
6-1
Philadelphia, Pa./Central
Engineering

Mike Rodriguez
RB
5-9
Fairfield, Conn./Deerfield Academy
Arts and Sciences

Brien Ruyak
WR
6-1
Bethlehem, Pa./Liberty
Arts and Sciences

Jesse Sanchez
QB
6-1
Saddle Brook, N.J./

Bergen County Vocational
Business

Tobi Showunmi
LB
6-2
Langhorne, Pa./Pennsbury
Arts and Sciences

Dane Trotter
WR/DB
6-1
Danby, Vt./Blair Academy
Architecture

James Tyree
LB/FB
6-1
Philadelphia, Pa./Central
Arts and Sciences

|
|

Click here for a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

©COPYRIGHT 2005 LEHIGH UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS

ting worked).

colgate13
February 20th, 2006, 12:20 PM
ngineer - what do you think of the more local flavour to this year than in the past, or am I just not remembering things as well?

ngineer
February 20th, 2006, 12:24 PM
ngineer - what do you think of the more local flavour to this year than in the past, or am I just not remembering things as well?

Actually, it's about the same in terms of the Lehigh Valley. 4-5 I think. Last year we had about the same. This year a little more Pennsylvania focused--especially around the Philly area--likely due to Coen's familiarity while at Penn--maybe we had a few change their minds from Quakers to Mountain Hawks!

Pard94
February 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Let me guess..."best class ever...pulled many prospects from I-A"?

LUHawker
February 20th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Let me guess..."best class ever...pulled many prospects from I-A"?

Try reading the article first before commenting. I'm no expert on recruiting classes, but given the coaching changes that occurred, I am at least pleased with the numbers.

colgate13
February 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Try reading the article first before commenting. I'm no expert on recruiting classes, but given the coaching changes that occurred, I am at least pleased with the numbers.

I believe that was an around-the-way reference to the Lehigh Voy board that said something like:

"Coach said this is the best recruiting year Lehigh ever had.Got to be one of the best in 1AA even better than some D-1A schools."

From an anonymous poster of course.... ;)

Pard94
February 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I believe that was an around-the-way reference to the Lehigh Voy board that said something like:

"Coach said this is the best recruiting year Lehigh ever had.Got to be one of the best in 1AA even better than some D-1A schools."

From an anonymous poster of course.... ;)

It was indeed 13. No doubt...you get around.

colgate13
February 20th, 2006, 02:56 PM
It was indeed 13. No doubt...you get around.

Only to pick up after your sloppy seconds it looks like!

ngineer
February 20th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I'd say from first glance that there's a little bit of everything. Some very big linemen--but size isn't everthing. Quick feet is most important. Some new QB's--one, Sanchez, could be in the mold of Threatt. Number of guys who figure to be in the LB arena, since we will need some restocking there. The Trotter kid has a lot of kudos and was being looked at by UConn and Penn State. Relation may have Lehigh connection. But, overall, getting a 64% yield is considered pretty good, especially in a year with this kind of transition. Some of the coaches leaving I'm sure resulted in some geographical areas not getting 'mined' as in past years. So long as these are good student athletes, the numbers are good and there shouldn't be a any 'drop off' in quality.

carney2
February 20th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Good job. Should assure the Squawks of a 10 - 1 year somewhere along the line.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 21st, 2006, 12:11 AM
I posted my analysis of Lehigh's recruiting class:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com.

Here's a teaser:

B. J. Benning, DT, River Hill (MD). Listed as 270 but playing last year at 280, B.J. fought double-and-triple teams on the defensive side of the ball but still was a major factor up front, setting a River Hill record for sacks. He was recruited by James Madison and William & Mary, but coach Coen snagged this talented DT that could be an impact defensive lineman.

Overall, very solid, considering Coen had to pull together recruiting and staff in a short month and a half.

Fordham
February 21st, 2006, 09:04 AM
Looks good to me, engineer fans.

Am I the only one who looks at the other PL schools' classes and thinks 'uh-oh', looks like they had a good one ... pretty much every time? I haven't seen anything on B-nell or HC yet but what I've seen from Laf, G-town (in particular) and what I've heard of Gate and now Lehigh makes me think that we all did pretty well.

It also makes me think that none of us really have any idea what to expect. I understand that this is obvious but, really, who the heck knows? The top BCS schools' kids have been picked apart and rated by every conceivable rating system and they still don't really know what they have. It's that much more of a crapshoot when dealing with kids that have received even less overall scrutiny/publicity. Again, I know alot of the prognostications are just in fun but, wow, is it a crapshoot. I think the only prediction I feel comfortable making is that there will be kids from these PL classes from various schools that we haven't focused on one bit that will be perennial all-PL'ers ... and, more than likely, many of those with the most press/hype will not be heard from much again.

Congrats Lehigh. Given that Coen had an even shorter amount of time to work with than Masella, that's well done.

colgate13
February 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM
It also makes me think that none of us really have any idea what to expect. I understand that this is obvious but, really, who the heck knows?

Agree 100%... but we need something to talk about in February!

ngineer
February 21st, 2006, 12:20 PM
I posted my analysis of Lehigh's recruiting class:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com.

Here's a teaser:

Overall, very solid, considering Coen had to pull together recruiting and staff in a short month and a half.

Much agreed. As I commented on your blog, any truth to the rumor we're also getting a tranfer RB from Kent State? If decent, that may help the loss of Rath, who some were hoping would come back for a 5th year. Backfield will still be strong with Fay returning with a medical redshirt, Thompson back together with McGowan and Copacia showing flashes last year.

carney2
February 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM
... but we need something to talk about in February!

Agreed. Just look at some of these threads. We are getting really desperate. I wish I had more tapes of old games.

trojan5588
April 23rd, 2006, 01:08 AM
I think that Lehighs ability to bring in two recruits from CA, especially the highley touted Lineman, Chris Aaron, who I heard had a D1-A offer from Houston and two walk on offers from Boston College and Virginia. I saw him working out at the Stanford Combine in April, and Lehigh got his stats wrong, he is 6-4.5 and 290 pounds and is incredibly strong and agile for a big man. He should be I think a definite help for the Lehigh O-Line. He was all over the papers in SO CAL. The other recruit from Cali, went to a prep school, so I dont know much about him. But, I can predict that Chris Aaron will be a great asset toward Lehigh. Recruiting states like CA, is extremely important for the program. The ability to recruit NATIONALLY is important because it brings many more options to the table and would hopefully create more talent in the "recruiting pool" so to say. Tell me wat you guys think?

blukeys
April 23rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
Much agreed. As I commented on your blog, any truth to the rumor we're also getting a tranfer RB from Kent State? If decent, that may help the loss of Rath, who some were hoping would come back for a 5th year. Backfield will still be strong with Fay returning with a medical redshirt, Thompson back together with McGowan and Copacia showing flashes last year.

Lehigh taking a transfer "from Kent State" . I thought PL teams only took transfers from really good academic schools, such as the 2 QB transfers Lehigh accepted from Delaware. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2006, 07:36 AM
At least I know that Pastore will actually go to undergrad classes at Lehigh.

;)

ngineer
April 24th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I think that Lehighs ability to bring in two recruits from CA, especially the highley touted Lineman, Chris Aaron, who I heard had a D1-A offer from Houston and two walk on offers from Boston College and Virginia. I saw him working out at the Stanford Combine in April, and Lehigh got his stats wrong, he is 6-4.5 and 290 pounds and is incredibly strong and agile for a big man. He should be I think a definite help for the Lehigh O-Line. He was all over the papers in SO CAL. The other recruit from Cali, went to a prep school, so I dont know much about him. But, I can predict that Chris Aaron will be a great asset toward Lehigh. Recruiting states like CA, is extremely important for the program. The ability to recruit NATIONALLY is important because it brings many more options to the table and would hopefully create more talent in the "recruiting pool" so to say. Tell me wat you guys think?

No question being able to recruit nationally, and especially in California, would be great. The only problem is cost. Very expensive to recruit 3000 miles away. Hence the need for the alums to contribute to the Lehigh Athletics Partnership!;)