PDA

View Full Version : Officials for semi-finals

GSUAlumniEagle
December 15th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Was told that the officials for the Villanova @ Eastern Washington contest will be from the OVC. No reply yet about the GSU @ Delaware game. Will let you guys know if I get word back.

If it's the same OVC crew that had the SC State @ Georgia Southern -- Lord help you guys. I always back the officials but that was a mess. Had multiple issues -- including a pretty severe rule misinterpretation (and another near big rules error that was only corrected after SC State took a timeout).

stevdock
December 15th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Well I'm pretty confident that since their are two CAA teams left, neither game will get the crew we got last week. Although it's possible that you do get the same replay official as last week though. Good luck to all 4 teams this weekend. Hope they put up a great showing for what FCS football is all about.

cougarpines
December 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Was told that the officials for the Villanova @ Eastern Washington contest will be from the OVC. No reply yet about the GSU @ Delaware game. Will let you guys know if I get word back.

If it's the same OVC crew that had the SC State @ Georgia Southern -- Lord help you guys. I always back the officials but that was a mess. Had multiple issues -- including a pretty severe rule misinterpretation (and another near big rules error that was only corrected after SC State took a timeout).

Oh yeah, I'll raise you one MEAC crew if you want to talk about bad

Rob Iola
December 15th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Oh yeah, I'll raise you one MEAC crew if you want to talk about bad

At least that crew at the UD/Lehigh game for the most part let them play. And ground. And hold. And mug...

VUCats02
December 15th, 2010, 12:56 PM

When is any fan ever satisfied with officiating? Why would Nova and EWU need help? If they're bad, they'll be bad for both teams. The best team still should win.

GSUAlumniEagle
December 15th, 2010, 01:29 PM
When is any fan ever satisfied with officiating? Why would Nova and EWU need help? If they're bad, they'll be bad for both teams. The best team still should win.

The posters over at GSUFans.com would snicker at this. I'm a self-proclaimed officiating and rules dork and I always at least try to back the officials. I'm by no means an officials basher.

JBB
December 15th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Well I'm pretty confident that since their are two CAA teams left, neither game will get the crew we got last week. Although it's possible that you do get the same replay official as last week though. Good luck to all 4 teams this weekend. Hope they put up a great showing for what FCS football is all about.

Unfortunately unless the FCS starts to take some action about what is clearly becoming a wide-spread issue the FCS may become known for terrible officiating. It is undermining the meaning of the games.

Professor Chaos
December 15th, 2010, 06:33 PM

Was the CAA crew in Cheney last weekend aware of this standard?

Ud1Hens
December 15th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Was the CAA crew in Cheney last weekend aware of this standard?

Replay crews are different than those on the field.

Professor Chaos
December 15th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Replay crews are different than those on the field.

I understand, just giving crap and still trying to finish off my sour grapes. Although with the way the alleged replay crew was reviewing plays that day any call by the officials on the field wasn't getting overturned unless my blind grandma could see it was wrong.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 15th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I understand, just giving crap and still trying to finish off my sour grapes. Although with the way the alleged replay crew was reviewing plays that day any call by the officials on the field wasn't getting overturned unless my blind grandma could see it was wrong.

Which is the way that it should be. According to the rules, the original call is assumed to be correct, and unless the evidence is absolutely conclusive that the call on the field was not correct, the play stands. If there is any inkling of doubt that the call on the field might have been right, the original call is supposed to take precedence.

Ud1Hens
December 15th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Horrible call. You have every right with the sour grapes

Professor Chaos
December 15th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Which is the way that it should be. According to the rules, the original call is assumed to be correct, and unless the evidence is absolutely conclusive that the call on the field was not correct, the play stands. If there is any inkling of doubt that the call on the field might have been right, the original call is supposed to take precedence.

My point is that it's not the replay booth's obligation to blindly follow whatever the call on the field was and let that weight their decision but to objectively make a decision irregardless of the call of the field. IMO, the call on the field should have no bearing on the replay booth's judgement. Regardless of it, that official should be able to say either it was call A, call B, or inconclusive. There's no point in arguing semantics of specific calls, bygones are bygones but that is how the replay system should work IMO.

fball27
December 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM

Exactly, a call is not going to be over-turned unless it is absolutely conclusive that the original call was incorrect.

GSUAlumniEagle
December 16th, 2010, 10:39 AM
The officials for the Georgia Southern @ Delaware game have been assigned from the Southland Conference.

EdubAlum
December 16th, 2010, 11:25 AM
where is the beating a dead horse emoticon when i need one?

GSUhooligan
December 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM
The officials for the Georgia Southern @ Delaware game have been assigned from the Southland Conference.

Isn't the general consensus that Southland refs are worse than OVC?

GannonFan
December 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Seriously, they're not MEAC refs so it's fine. The gap of competency between the MEAC refs and the rest of the FCS world is so big that minor differences among the other conferences are pretty inconsequential. Everyone everywhere breathed a sigh of relief to know there wouldn't be MEAC refs this weekend.

blueballs
December 16th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Seriously, they're not MEAC refs so it's fine. The gap of competency between the MEAC refs and the rest of the FCS world is so big that minor differences among the other conferences are pretty inconsequential. Everyone everywhere breathed a sigh of relief to know there wouldn't be MEAC refs this weekend.

true dat

TTUEagles
December 16th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I think the OVC refs are fine - never have thought that collectively they were bad...I don't think you can "rank" referee groups like you can the coference (I can't imagine the CAA refs would be better than OVC, like we all know the actual teams are, e.g.). They may not make every call right, who does?, but, they are fair - that's all you can ask for.

seantaylor
December 16th, 2010, 10:45 PM
ACC officials were the worst I've ever encountered. Southland has to be better.

Blue Hen 53
December 17th, 2010, 09:02 AM
MEAC = weak teams & weak officials

LouiseBFree
December 17th, 2010, 04:47 PM
You'll have no issues with the Southland crew, so if you lose, you'll need another excuse.