apaladin
December 12th, 2010, 08:09 PM
http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2010-11/releases/20101212bmplrb

TTUEagles
December 12th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Bruce Fowler?

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2010, 07:31 AM
While it isn't 100% confirmed until the press conference, all signs seem to indicate Fowler.

Fowler is another coach with longtime Furman ties and apparently was one of the finalists for the job the last go around. He has been the defensive coordinator at Vanderbilt under Johnson and then assistant head coach.

As is typical for the Paladins, they are keeping the job "in-house" with a former player/coach. Fowler is a strong defensive coach that will inherit a program with a good bit of talent on the roster. He put together a number of good units at Vanderbilt (some of the best defenses in their program's history) and had some very good units during his time at Furman.

I like the move from the aspect that Furman seems to be going "back to its roots," that is, defensive, ball control football.

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Press Conference makes it official. http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2010-11/releases/20101213ryna43

Didn't realize this, but during Fowler's stint as Furman's Defensive Coordinator (1999-2001) the Paladins had a 30-9 record. I'd love to see that kind of success again.

Welcome back to Greenville, Coach Fowler.

GaSouthern
December 13th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Hopefully Furman returning an old assistant will work as well as GSU's old assistant did this season! The Big 3 is more complete with Furman rather than Wofford! Good luck this off season guys!

gophoenix
December 13th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Hopefully Furman returning an old assistant will work as well as GSU's old assistant did this season! The Big 3 is more complete with Furman rather than Wofford! Good luck this off season guys!

Essentially, the big 3 should be Furman, App and GSU so you guys can cry about how everyone else sucks because they never do anything.

Elon, Wofford or Chatty do well, its because the conference is down.

Big 3 on top, then the conference is top heavy.

Typical.

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2010, 02:50 PM

I don't think Furman is that far away from being "back," quite frankly. Furman lost close matchups to several playoff teams, including having the Eagles dead to rights in Greenville. We've seen how they've done on the national stage.

Fowler inherits a winning program that still has a lot of young talent on roster. Furman is losing only ten players to graduation and will return virtually the entire defense. Personally, I think the cupboard is far less bare than it was at Elon, the Citadel, UTC, Samford, and WCU when those schools brought on their current coaches. Good coaching can take you places.

Kramden
December 13th, 2010, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=PaladinFan;1599980]I don't think Furman is that far away from being "back," quite frankly. Furman lost close matchups to several playoff teams, including having the Eagles dead to rights in Greenville. We've seen how they've done on the national stage.

Fowler inherits a winning program that still has a lot of young talent on roster. Furman is losing only ten players to graduation and will return virtually the entire defense. Personally, I think the cupboard is far less bare than it was at Elon, the Citadel, UTC, Samford, and WCU when those schools brought on their current coaches. Good coaching can take you places.

Furman is a first class school and team. I wish you guys all the best in your next chapter. I am sure you'll be back in the playoffs real soon.

citdog
December 13th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I don't think Furman is that far away from being "back," quite frankly. Furman lost close matchups to several playoff teams, including having the Eagles dead to rights in Greenville. We've seen how they've done on the national stage.

Higgins did just fine with Ellis Johnsons and John Zernhelts recruits as the 7-4 record in 2007 shows. How he has done with his own recruits is what is up in the air. The switch in offenses is what led to the bad year this year.