PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Take Sheridan HBCU Natl' Title?

TexasTerror
December 11th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Which school do you think should be crowned the Sheridan HBCU College Football national champion?

Albany State
Bethune Cookman
Grambling
South Carolina State
Texas Southern

Bethune Cookman is probably the best choice amongst FCS, but Albany State reached the Div II quarterfinals, where they lost to finals bound Delta State. I'm going with Albany State.

They dominated Tuskegee (who beat Texas Southern and can 'claim' the SWAC title by virtue of wins over both SWAC title game foes) and doubled up Savannah State on the road. Not too shabby...

While I do not think they could go through a MEAC schedule unscathed, they seem to be the 'team to beat'.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 07:59 PM
So a DII quarterfinalist is greater than an FCS 1st round exit team in BCU? I don't know all that much about the other teams but at least BCU and SCST were playing better competition

TexasTerror
December 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM
So a DII quarterfinalist is greater than an FCS 1st round exit team in BCU? I don't know all that much about the other teams but at least BCU and SCST were playing better competition

Division II teams have been named Sheridan HBCU national champion. In fact, 2007 featured Tuskegee winning the title while 2006 had North Carolina Central.

In a year when there was no clear favorite amongsts Div I HBCUs while there was a dominant Division II HBCU, I'll go to the Div II team - especially since they drubbed a Tuskegee team that could claim the de-facto SWAC championship.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the info...btw I enjoyed your weekend playoff brackets

JU_Dolphin
December 11th, 2010, 08:51 PM
First off let me say hello to all of you here at AGS. Looks like a great community for FCS football with some great fans. Anyways, no disrespect to Albany State, they're a very good program in their own right, but Bethune Cookman deserves the honor this year.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 11th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Which school do you think should be crowned the Sheridan HBCU College Football national champion?

Albany State
Bethune Cookman
Grambling
South Carolina State
Texas Southern

Bethune Cookman is probably the best choice amongst FCS, but Albany State reached the Div II quarterfinals, where they lost to finals bound Delta State. I'm going with Albany State.

They dominated Tuskegee (who beat Texas Southern and can 'claim' the SWAC title by virtue of wins over both SWAC title game foes) and doubled up Savannah State on the road. Not too shabby...

While I do not think they could go through a MEAC schedule unscathed, they seem to be the 'team to beat'.

I find it amusing that a DII team has wins over the top two teams in the SWAC this year. I'm not familiar with the Sheridan award, I take it that it's an honorary thing, and no actual game is played?

I'd give it to BC-U, yes, they fizzled in the playoffs, but at least they made the playoffs and don't live in a segregated dreamworld like the SWAC teams do. The MEAC might not be the strongest conference in the FCS, or a playoff threat yet, but at least they are trying and improving, and that trumps anything any of the SWAC teams have done. I also think BC-U could likely take most Div-II teams pretty easily.

WestCoastAggie
December 11th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Albany State should win the HBCU National Title. Albany State won a playoff game against a PWC and beat a team, Tuskegee, who beat the teams in the SWAC Champ. Game.

BTW: it is quite sad when the talent & coaching levels between the MEAC/SWAC vs. the CIAA/SIAC are blurred.

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I find it amusing that a DII team has wins over the top two teams in the SWAC this year. I'm not familiar with the Sheridan award, I take it that it's an honorary thing, and no actual game is played?

Correct. It is not played out on the field and even with a Legacy Bowl/Classic - it still wouldn't be, since Div II teams are eligible. And yes, Tuskegee beat both SWAC championship game entrants this year.

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2010, 07:43 AM
TSU head coach makes his case after playing the "toughest schedule" amongst HBCUs... throws in Tuskegee with defending SWAC champ PVAMU and Big East champ UConn... same Tuskegee that beat both SWAC title game contenders...

The Tigers, who close the season with eight consecutive wins, would probably have been in better position had they not lost to Division II program Tuskegee (ranked seventh) on Sept. 25.

But Cole said TSU, which claimed its only black college national championship in 1952, shouldn’t be penalized too harshly for losing to previous SWAC champion Prairie View A&M (7-4) and Big East co-champion Connecticut (8-4).

"We played the toughest schedule in the country when it comes to black colleges," Cole said. "We played the Big East champs, a 9-2 Tuskegee, a 7-4 Prairie View and we beat Grambling. We played more teams with winning records than anybody in black college football."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7336527.html

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2010, 07:35 AM
We got our answer... ALBANY STATE.

On the heels of its first SWAC championship in 42 years, Texas Southern wound up third in the final Sheridan Broadcasting Network poll, with Albany State capturing the national title among the country’s predominantly black colleges.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7338037.html

WileECoyote06
December 14th, 2010, 08:42 AM
And they are deserving. They didn't lose to an HBCU this year.