PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern @ Delaware

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

GSUwinsagain
December 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Looking forward to another hard fought game with you guys. Everytime that we have met, it's been a tough game.
I think it will be low scoring and hope the weather cooperates.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I'll take UD by 10-14.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Delaware sports reporter tweeted that if Eastern Washington wins UD/GSU will play Saturday at 12 noon. If NDST wins, UD/GSU will play Friday night

http://twitter.com/kevintresolini

GATA
December 11th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'll take UD by 10-14.

So what you're saying is that you're so confident that Delaware will win by 10 or more that you are willing to put "I AM A ******" in your signature if you're wrong?...that's what you're saying right?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 04:54 PM
So what you're saying is that you're so confident that Delaware will win by 10 or more that you are willing to put "I AM A ******" in your signature if you're wrong?...that's what you're saying right?

It's going to take a team with great balance to beat UD. I don't see GSU having that balance.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Delaware sports reporter tweeted that if Eastern Washington wins UD/GSU will play Saturday at 12 noon. If NDST wins, UD/GSU will play Friday night

http://twitter.com/kevintresolini

let's go Bison!

GATA
December 11th, 2010, 04:56 PM
It's going to take a team with great balance to beat UD. I don't see GSU having that balance.

...great balance...go figure. That's the key to success...

Why on earth would anybody think running the ball over and over would be effective?

GSUwinsagain
December 11th, 2010, 04:58 PM
We need a Sat. game in a bad way. GO EW !

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 05:03 PM
As a Georgia Southern fan I have to say that my heart tells me Southern wins by 10 in a late game rally... but my gut says this goes down to a 3 point in any direction.. I'm thinking Delaware could win easily but Southern has proved time and time again that we can pull out a W when needed, no matter how ugly. We've been swimming upstream the entire year and I think we have more heart than any team left in the bracket.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 05:03 PM
...great balance...go figure. That's the key to success...

Why on earth would anybody think running the ball over and over would be effective?

Then why hasn't a triple option team won a title since you guys in 2000? The last time i checked AP doesn't have any eligibilty left.

UD's defense is very, very good against the run. They can be thrown on however.

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Then why hasn't a triple option team won a title since you guys in 2000? The last time i checked AP doesn't have any eligibilty left.

Southern can throw when needed... certainly not our strong point by a long shot but that's the beauty of the TO.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 05:07 PM
The Bob Carpenter Center (next to the Tub) will be host to the Beast of the East wrestling tourney this weekend. 105 high school teams + families will arrive Friday night and not leave until Sunday night. I wonder what type of planning will go into traffic, parking, etc. That's a ton of people to be getting to Newark the same time as fans are to tailgate and watch the game.

GSUwinsagain
December 11th, 2010, 05:10 PM
We could always move the game to the boro !

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 05:14 PM
We could always move the game to the boro !

Naaa...since UD is just playing host and not actually involved they will control whatever they like. Although much can be avoided with a NDState victory

gsu6trophies
December 11th, 2010, 05:17 PM

Hmmm!!! dumn post. So I guess Football has changed dramatically in the last ten years. And it probably has nothing to do with the fact that the only teams I can think of who have ran the TO in the last 10 are Woff, GSU, VMI, Citadel and Rhode Island. Rhode Island and VMI hav never been great teams. Citadel just began running the TO this year. Southern just returned to it after 4 years of bubble screens and missing the playoffs. So I would say that considering how few teams run the TO and that two teams that do just faced off in the quarters just proves that your argument is dumb. Just dumb.

If Delaware wins, even if it its because they just totally shut down our offense, I doubt that it will have much to do with the fact that we run the TO. Probably will be because they are more experienced, are playing at home, and play a better game.

We have a big challege, but I really don't think the triple option will be a detriment in this game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 05:20 PM
6 Trophies, you said yourself if UD wins it will because they totally shut down your offense. All i said is they will.

gsu1moretime
December 11th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Just saying we have both played W& M and who beat them?

gsu6trophies
December 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
6 Trophies, you said yourself if UD wins it will because they totally shut down your offense. All i said is they will.

You should work on your reading comprehension. I just think your opinion that a team that runs the TO can't win the NC is pretty ludicrous. I'm not going to argue this. Just keep thinking what you want.

gannonchokedagain
December 11th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I haven't been down to Newark since the University started tearing down the Chrysler assembly plant. How far along are they & how bad is the traffic down by south campus?
If the game is Saturday afternoon, I might come down for the game.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM

Never liked those camparisons....A + B must = C. Clearly both teams are totally different teams than earlier in the year. I'm not going to even bring up Chatty or Samford because you are a much better team now than you were then...just goes to show you previous games mean nothing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 05:33 PM
You should work on your reading comprehension. I just think your opinion that a team that runs the TO can't win the NC is pretty ludicrous. I'm not going to argue this. Just keep thinking what you want.

Did i say they couldn't? Might want to work on your reading comprehension. All i said is it's been 10 years since a team has. Which is a fact. I also alluded to the fact it would take a dynamic player within the TO to win a championship.

"Then why hasn't a triple option team won a title since you guys in 2000? The last time i checked AP doesn't have any eligibilty left.

UD's defense is very, very good against the run. They can be thrown on however."

What i said is UD is very, very good against the run and it would take a team with balance to beat them. You might not like what i said because i'm picking against your team. Fine. Are you going to attack the odds makers when they make the Hens the favorite?

gsu6trophies
December 11th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Did i say they couldn't? Might want to work your reading comprehension. All i said is it's been 10 years since a team has. Which is a fact.

"Then why hasn't a triple option team won a title since you guys in 2000? The last time i checked AP doesn't have any eligibilty left.

UD's defense is very, very good against the run. They can be thrown on however."

What i said is UD is very, very good against the run and it would take a team with balance to beat them. You might not like what i said because i'm picking against your team. Fine. Are you going to attack the odds makers when they make the Hens the favorite?

I don't care who you pick to win the game. Everyone's got a right to an opinion.

Just explain what this quote means since it apparently I misinterpreted it to mean that you don't think an option team can win the NC?
"Then why hasn't a triple option team won a title since you guys in 2000? The last time i checked AP doesn't have any eligibilty left."

I guess that doesn't mean that you think the only reason we won the NC in 99 and 00 is because we had Peterson, and that an option team can't win the NC unless they have a phenomenal athlete. So what does it mean? You wrote it. I guess I just don't get it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I don't care who you pick to win the game. Everyone's got a right to an opinion.

Just explain what this quote means since it apparently I misinterpreted it to mean that you don't think an option team can win the NC?
"Then why hasn't a triple option team won a title since you guys in 2000? The last time i checked AP doesn't have any eligibilty left."

I guess that doesn't mean that you think the only reason we won the NC in 99 and 00 is because we had Peterson, and that an option team can't win the NC unless they have a phenomenal athlete. So what does it mean? You wrote it. I guess I just don't get it.

Exactly. I believe in order to win a title with the TO you need a dynamic player to make it happen. GSU does not have that player, yet.

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Exactly. I believe in order to win a title with the TO you need a dynamic player to make it happen. GSU does not have that player, yet.

I'm not going to say we have a stand out player like an AP or a Jayson Foster. We have a great defensive line and some solid linebackers along with great special teams and if Brown can hold onto the ball he's hard to stop. I think this game, like every other game so far, will be a surprise to most and a testament to our program this year.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
An option team presents some unique challenges. You have to stay extremely discipline in your assignments or GSU could bite off yards in bunches. Creep up too much and you get hit with a playaction pass over the top. I like that every member of UD has faced the TO vs Navy at least once so it's not entirely foreign. Also we have a very experienced team and defense has been our strength. I like our passing attack vs GSU, not big plays but methodical drives that will hopefully give our defense some rest. We get our best defensive player back this week (missed the UNH game) in our middle linebacker Matt Marcorelle.

I hope we can have good football conversation and not say, "you lost to W&M, we beat W&M" or "We stuff TO teams". Should be a fun game and I definitely look forward to this matchup

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 05:52 PM
An option team presents some unique challenges. You have to stay extremely discipline in your assignments or GSU could bite off yards in bunches. Creep up too much and you get hit with a playaction pass over the top. I like that every member of UD has faced the TO vs Navy at least once so it's not entirely foreign. Also we have a very experienced team and defense has been our strength. I like our passing attack vs GSU, not big plays but methodical drives that will hopefully give our defense some rest. We get our best defensive player back this week (missed the UNH game) in our middle linebacker Matt Marcorelle.

I hope we can have good football conversation and not say, "you lost to W&M, we beat W&M" or "We stuff TO teams". Should be a fun game and I definitely look forward to this matchup

Like I said before, I see this being harder than the National Championship game if we somehow make it past.. exceptions being if we play Nova and they play as good as they did today.

gsu6trophies
December 11th, 2010, 05:55 PM

I disagree, but fair enough. I guess to me if you have solid, expereinced team it doesn't matter what scheme you run on either side of the ball, and you don't necessarily have to have a phenom on the field to win. And I also think shaw has been a dynamic player. Not a whole lot of flashy numbers but he has done a hell of a job leading this team. We're young and probably have no business being on the field with Delaware, but somehow we've got to this point.

GSUEagle08
December 11th, 2010, 05:56 PM
It will be a fun game to watch. I hope it is an exciting, hard-hitting game.

I'm gonna make my first trip up to UD. One thing I do know is Delaware has the best welcome center in the nation after stopping at it when I drove to Philly and Atlantic City this past summer.

Good Luck Hens.

GATA!

BlueHenSinfonian
December 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
It will be a fun game to watch. I hope it is an exciting, hard-hitting game.

I'm gonna make my first trip up to UD. One thing I do know is Delaware has the best welcome center in the nation after stopping at it when I drove to Philly and Atlantic City this past summer.

Good Luck Hens.

GATA!

I think you'll be fond of the Newark hospitality. If you come up the night before, Iron Hill Brewery on Main St is one of the best places in town to grab some great food and great beer. You can also get the best subs on the east coast at Cappriotti's at the other end of Main St. I'm getting homesick, wish I could make it up for the game.

EagleTrump
December 11th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I'm looking forward to a good game. Not all TO teams are the same. While what Navy and GSU run are very similar, execution is the key to that offense. And I would like to think GSU executes a little bit better even though they don't have athletes with the same experience or a deep depth chart. Don't think that just because UD's defense can hold GSU to 10 points they could win. That means UD would have to score 11 on a stout GSU defense. Agnew, Tinsley, and Russell have been on fire and Laron Scott is due for a pick six any game now... This game will be close. I say Eagles 20-16. And it will come down to the last possession just like the Wofford game.

EagleTrump
December 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Btw, GSU fans, Southern Pride is sending a 75 piece pep band. Hope we won't be the majority of GSU in the stands.

And Delaware fans, once I find where SP is staying, could you recommend a place that serves a nice cold beer within walking distance of the hotel? (hotel probably will be made known once our director works out the logistics.)

GATA
December 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I'm looking forward to a good game. Not all TO teams are the same. While what Navy and GSU run are very similar, execution is the key to that offense. And I would like to think GSU executes a little bit better even though they don't have athletes with the same experience or a deep depth chart. Don't think that just because UD's defense can hold GSU to 10 points they could win. That means UD would have to score 11 on a stout GSU defense. Agnew, Tinsley, and Russell have been on fire and Laron Scott is due for a pick six any game now... This game will be close. I say Eagles 20-16. And it will come down to the last possession just like the Wofford game.

...you may like to think that...but if you did you would be wrong sir.

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 06:43 PM
...you may like to think that...but if you did you would be wrong sir.

I would love to say the Southern executes better. Honestly, in two years we might. It's amazing to see all these guys Monken could assemble without any real recruiting ability. Given two years, who knows? I'm sure we'll be back here to discuss it then.

turn1979
December 11th, 2010, 06:50 PM

UNH beat Nova
Nova beat UD
UD beat UNH

=

Your win over Bill and Mary means nothing.

EagleTrump
December 11th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Woffy beat us, we beat App, App destroyed Woffy. We should then have lost to Woffy, but we didn't. We learned from mistakes, got some players back, and got our heads in the game. "Any given Saturday" the team that is firing on all cylinders and plays like they mean it will be the team that walks away from the victory. Lately, GSU has been the team that's been doing that. They kind of faltered in the second half against Wofford, but hopefully we keep a good thing going.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 07:21 PM

We've got a premature score prediction on the newbie, putting his score out on Saturday evening when the game is still 7 days away...10 yard penalty, and back to the debate. xsmiley_wix

jmufan
December 11th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Should be an interesting game. I can really see UD have trouble with GA Southern, so we'll see if UD can contain them like 'Nova contained ASU. Not a UD fan at all, but even so, I must pull for the conference, so go UD-CAA.

EagleTrump
December 11th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Premature? I wasn't aware that we were gonna see either team play against anyone other than themselves until Friday/Saturday. Isn't there also a thread on this site about predicting the Championship game? How's that for premature? Btw, I was wrong on that thread. I thought App State could go all the way.

heath
December 11th, 2010, 07:47 PM
RUN vs PASS? Mother Nature will have much to say with who does better.Cold and "dry" UD has the upper hand.Mix in some elements and a whole different ball game>

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Premature? I wasn't aware that we were gonna see either team play against anyone other than themselves until Friday/Saturday. Isn't there also a thread on this site about predicting the Championship game? How's that for premature? Btw, I was wrong on that thread. I thought App State could go all the way.

It's a joke...hahaha...usually everyone makes their 1000 opinions be known then ends with a prediction. I don't mind the way you did it at all. BTW, usually the smiley wink is showing how I was messing around

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 08:03 PM
As the threads go on and I read more and more I'm getting more confident in a win for Southern again.. I'm seeing Southern down by at least two scores in the half and squeaking a win out in the final seconds. We have the clock chewing ability to benefit us if we ever do get out to a big lead but I don't see that happening. Special teams and defense will win this game for us again.

straightshooter
December 11th, 2010, 08:04 PM
RUN vs PASS? Mother Nature will have much to say with who does better.Cold and "dry" UD has the upper hand.Mix in some elements and a whole different ball game>
Long range weather right now calls for about the same weather GSU faced at WM.

EagleTrump
December 11th, 2010, 08:14 PM
It's a joke...hahaha...usually everyone makes their 1000 opinions be known then ends with a prediction. I don't mind the way you did it at all. BTW, usually the smiley wink is showing how I was messing around

LOL Oh ok. I'm a GSU fan and usually go up in arms at the mention of a penalty. It's been nice without those pesky SOCON refs. But I'm really looking forward to this game. The UD fans seem nice only and look forward to a great atmosphere next weekend. Hope it's close and exciting!

bluehenbillk
December 11th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Straight shhoting:

Devlin played maybe his worst game of the year Friday vs UNH and still look at his #'s.

GSU's secondary is going to have a load of issues with UD's passing game.

UD is averaging right around 100yds of opponents rush D per game and leads the country in points against. The triple option isn't new and UD has an experienced D - seven seniors and they tacke very well.

I don't see it that close, 24-10, 27-10 something in that ballpark. Looking forward to it. Keeler has never lost a home playoff game.

Go Hens!!

EagleTrump
December 11th, 2010, 08:57 PM
GSU's secondary is going to have a load of issues with UD's passing game.

You're right. GSU has a lot of trouble stopping the pass. Just ask Walter Payton Finalist Scott Riddle....oh wait...he was kinda shut down that game...

jlcharles
December 11th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I will, as usual, be rooting against Delaware. Although, I wouldn't mind beating them for a title should we make it past EWU.

bluehenbillk
December 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Point made. If you want to compare Elon's QB to Pat Devlin, you'll see on Saturday what the difference is and why Devlin will play on Sundays.

Key on Devlin too much and we have the best RB in the CAA who just happens to have the initials AP.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 09:24 PM
You're right. GSU has a lot of trouble stopping the pass. Just ask Walter Payton Finalist Scott Riddle....oh wait...he was kinda shut down that game...

Wait, the same Scott Riddle that threw for 322 and 3 TDs, 2 INTs vs GSU?...btw Elon sucks.

straightshooter
December 11th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Point made. If you want to compare Elon's QB to Pat Devlin, you'll see on Saturday what the difference is and why Devlin will play on Sundays.

Key on Devlin too much and we have the best RB in the CAA who just happens to have the initials AP.

Riddle threw for 320 and 3 TDs against Richmond and Devlin managed 240 and 0 TD, so what's your point.

Oldhen
December 11th, 2010, 09:34 PM
A lot of this game will come down to #11 vs. #5.

W&M had no answers for Brown... their MLB is athletic, but very small. MM is an entirely different force in the middle, and one of the reasons nobody has really run on us inside. Brown gets to the hole very quickly, and against W&M was just bouncing off guys and going another 7-10 yards. If #11's at full strength, that'll really help against the FB game. UD's depth on D is going to pay off, with fresh ponies helping to offset the grind of defending the inside run. I expect GSU to get some yards and score some points, but UD's D is going to acquit themselves well. I doubt GSU will ever get to the point where the TO has the D back on their heels and everything looks downhill.

GSU's front four is as good as we'll ever see, but their secondary looks suspect, and I think Devlin can throw on them. The trick is going to be handling #66 without giving the other three a free pass. The OL has adjusted to some pretty extreme blitz/rush packages, and I guess they'll figure this one out, too. I'd be surprised if UD didn't give up some sacks to these guys, but I'd also be surprised if the the OL didn't figure this out by halftime.

I expect a real good game. I doubt Devlin will play as badly as Callahan did for W&M. I doubt we'll get as tired as they did, largely due to our depth. I have a hard time seeing a high scoring game... high teens to low twenties wins it? I like UD in a slugfest... something like 20-16 or 24-18.

GoGSU
December 11th, 2010, 09:36 PM
all this is neither here nor there.....UD will lose this weekend...end of story.

Oldhen
December 11th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Riddle threw for 320 and 3 TDs against Richmond and Devlin managed 240 and 0 TD, so what's your point.

LOL... could be because we ran for 230+ yards against UR and really didn't throw much.

Oldhen
December 11th, 2010, 09:38 PM
all this is neither here nor there.....UD will lose this weekend...end of story.

Well... can't argue with that logic.

EagleTrump
December 11th, 2010, 09:41 PM
My mistake, I just realized that Riddle did not make the finalists. He was just on the watch list.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Very often that Award has some suspect finalist. Flacco was like the 17th best FCS player in 2007 judging by that award.

eaglesrback
December 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM

You dont know the difference between your a$$ and a hole in the ground.

eaglesrback
December 11th, 2010, 09:54 PM

The answer to your ? is , NOBODY RUNS THE TRIPLE OPTION LIKE GEORGIA SOUTHERN. BANK THAT!

GSUwinsagain
December 11th, 2010, 09:55 PM

What is the point of this post ? this type of post makes all GSU fans look bad. We are not very balanced. We can pass, but we are far from balanced. This is his opinion, you don't have to insult people. If you can post a decent argument on why We are going to win, that's fine, but please keep this as clean as possible. Thanks

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 10:05 PM

I expect you'll be getting an infraction. Thank you.

BTW, you are a run heavy team so my statement was correct.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 10:05 PM
All kidding aside this should be a great game. Can't wait to see how UD responds to the TO and how GSU handles Devlin and company.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 11th, 2010, 10:07 PM
The answer to your ? is , NOBODY RUNS THE TRIPLE OPTION LIKE GEORGIA SOUTHERN. BANK THAT!

I'm intrigued by why all of the GaSou fans think that the triple option is some sort of magical undefeatable offensive philosophy. I haven't had the chance to see GaSou play this year, so many someone more familiar with them can answer this for me, but is GaSou's interpretation more of a traditional 90% run based approach, or is it more of a spread option from the shotgun with a pass attack variety?

The option has been around for a long time, and while once the dominant college football offensive philosophy, in its pure form it's a bit dated now - any coach who knows that they are going up against and is fairly familiar with it should be able to get a team ready for it. Every modern offense is based on making the defense guess where the offense is going to go. In the option the deception comes from the multiple run threats, but in a spread offense or a balanced run/pass attack, the defense has to worry about covering multiple possible receiver routes, mismatched coverage, and finding the right balance of stacking the box against the run vs. limiting susceptibility to a big pass play.

Delaware and GaSou have both made it this far because their offenses have found a way to outplay opposing defenses, and because they defenses have been about to outsmart opposing offenses - an oversimplification, yes, but true when you boil it all down. This should be a great game, I remember watching GaSou ruin our NC hopes inside of Delaware Stadium back in '00, as well as enjoying our sweet revenge when they came back in '02. This will be a fun one to watch.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 10:12 PM

Umm, Navy? Georgia Tech? Air Force?

The comment about not knowing anything i find ironic. I likely know more about cfb in general than you could ever dream about knowing.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 11th, 2010, 10:19 PM
This will be yet another serious challenge to a Ga Southern team playing 16 true freshmen on the year. The coaches have them playing as a TEAM, which is a good thing because we don't have any "super stars". The Eagles are the under dog and we'll all just have to see how we match up.

One thing I can't figure out is the, uh, "affection" you CAA people have for each other. UD has good tradition and will be a tough place to play. It's like 1985 all over again for Ga Southern after the self-imposed "death penalty" of 2006. See ya'll Saturday.

GSUwinsagain
December 11th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I'm intrigued by why all of the GaSou fans think that the triple option is some sort of magical undefeatable offensive philosophy. I haven't had the chance to see GaSou play this year, so many someone more familiar with them can answer this for me, but is GaSou's interpretation more of a traditional 90% run based approach, or is it more of a spread option from the shotgun with a pass attack variety?

The option has been around for a long time, and while once the dominant college football offensive philosophy, in its pure form it's a bit dated now - any coach who knows that they are going up against and is fairly familiar with it should be able to get a team ready for it. Every modern offense is based on making the defense guess where the offense is going to go. In the option the deception comes from the multiple run threats, but in a spread offense or a balanced run/pass attack, the defense has to worry about covering multiple possible receiver routes, mismatched coverage, and finding the right balance of stacking the box against the run vs. limiting susceptibility to a big pass play.

Delaware and GaSou have both made it this far because their offenses have found a way to outplay opposing defenses, and because they defenses have been about to outsmart opposing offenses - an oversimplification, yes, but true when you boil it all down. This should be a great game, I remember watching GaSou ruin our NC hopes inside of Delaware Stadium back in '00, as well as enjoying our sweet revenge when they came back in '02. This will be a fun one to watch.

Coach Monken stated that the T.O. is not a magic potion that fixes all problems. The success of any offense is execution.
We are under center, not the gun. Navy and GT run the same flex bone offense that we do, but each team has tweeked it to suit their strengths. We run 85 % of the time. What your defense will have trouble adjusting to is our blocking angles and shoot blocking. Our OL is small but very athletic and gets to the 2nd level quickly. We rarely block someone mono/mono.
It is an intriguing game for sure.

blueballs
December 11th, 2010, 11:10 PM
A lot of this game will come down to #11 vs. #5.

W&M had no answers for Brown... their MLB is athletic, but very small. MM is an entirely different force in the middle, and one of the reasons nobody has really run on us inside. Brown gets to the hole very quickly, and against W&M was just bouncing off guys and going another 7-10 yards. If #11's at full strength, that'll really help against the FB game. UD's depth on D is going to pay off, with fresh ponies helping to offset the grind of defending the inside run. I expect GSU to get some yards and score some points, but UD's D is going to acquit themselves well. I doubt GSU will ever get to the point where the TO has the D back on their heels and everything looks downhill.

GSU's front four is as good as we'll ever see, but their secondary looks suspect, and I think Devlin can throw on them. The trick is going to be handling #66 without giving the other three a free pass. The OL has adjusted to some pretty extreme blitz/rush packages, and I guess they'll figure this one out, too. I'd be surprised if UD didn't give up some sacks to these guys, but I'd also be surprised if the the OL didn't figure this out by halftime.

I expect a real good game. I doubt Devlin will play as badly as Callahan did for W&M. I doubt we'll get as tired as they did, largely due to our depth. I have a hard time seeing a high scoring game... high teens to low twenties wins it? I like UD in a slugfest... something like 20-16 or 24-18.

Gawd... it took five pages for a Delaware fan who has some sense to post. Nice job in your analysis Old Hen.

blueballs
December 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM

The option works well because very few teams run it, opponents have to change their philosophies to defend it, it is hard to simulate in practice, and the option team relies on their season(s) of running it being a better prep than 4 or 5 days of practice against a scout team running something they have no clue about.

When you get a program that can recruit top flight talent that runs the option- and they are among the few running it- you get some ugly results for opponents like the 1986, 1990, 1999 title games where GSU steamrolled Ark St, Nevada, and YSU.

Delaware on paper has some advantages but GSU is going to throw something at them they ain't seen this year while GSU has seen what UD is going to run. That is why the system is such an equalizer.

GSU1-A
December 11th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I just hope our boys learned their lesson in that 2nd half of the Wofford game.. (We got spanked in that half but came out with a W!)

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Not sure if anyone has posted each teams schedule

Georgia Southern 10-4
Sat, Sept 4 vs Savannah State W 48-3
Sat, Sept 11 @ Navy L 13-7
Sat, Sept 18 @ Coastal Carolina W 43-26
Sat, Sept 25 vs Elon W 38-21
Sat, Oct 9 vs Wofford L 33-31
Sat, Oct 16 @ Chattanooga L 35-27
Sat, Oct 23 @ Citadel W 20-0
Sat, Oct 30 vs Samford L20-13
Sat, Nov 6 vs Appalachian State W 21-14 OT
Sat, Nov 13 @ Western Carolina W 28-6
Sat, Nov 20 @ Furman W 32-28
Sat, Nov 27 vs South Carolina State W 41-16
Sat, Dec 4 @ William & Mary W 31-15
Sat, Dec 11 @ Wofford W 23-20

Delaware 11-2
Thu, Sept 2 vs West Chester W 31-0
Sat, Sept 11 vs South Dakota State W 26-3
Sat, Sept 18 vs Duquesne W 30-6
Sat, Sept 25 @ Richmond W 34-13
Sat, Oct 2 @ James Madison W 13-10
Sat, Oct 9 vs Maine W 26-7
Sat, Oct 16 vs Rhode Island W 24-17
Sat, Oct 23 @ William & Mary L 17-16
Sat, Nov 6 vs Towson W 48-0
Sat, Nov 13 @ Massachusetts W 45-27
Sat, Nov 20 vs Villanova L 28-21 OT
Sat, Dec 4 vs Lehigh W 42-20
Fri, Dec 10 vs New Hampshire W 16-3

Achilles Return
December 11th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Umm, Navy? Georgia Tech? Air Force?

The comment about not knowing anything i find ironic. I likely know more about cfb in general than you could ever dream about knowing.

Three FBS schools, lol?

We had better stop talking guys, this guy clearly already knows everything there is to know about football.

Baldy
December 12th, 2010, 12:11 AM

Ironically, it doesn't matter how good a team's rush defense is when it faces the spread option GSU runs.

You used the 2000 season as an example, so will I.
In 2000, I vividly remember UD fans beating their chests screaming from the top of their lungs how great their defense was against the run before our matchup in the 2000 semifinals. I remember them telling us how their D shut down the Triple Option run at URI by our former head coach and how they didn't allow a 100 yard rusher that entire season. There were endless comments made that AP would never continue his 100 yard per game streak against the mighty Blue Hen run defense. If you remember correctly, AP rushed for 198 yards that day and Andre Weathers tacked on another 120+.

Defensive statistics can be thrown away when facing spread option teams like GSU. We also faced McNeese State in the 2000 playoffs, and according to the statistics, the Cowboys had a much better run defense than the Hens. GSU just happened to torched them with over 480 yards on the ground that day. In 1998, WIU came into Paulson with the #1 defense in all of I-AA. If I remember correctly, I don't think they even allowed a single passing TD the entire season. When the day was over, GSU racked up 42 points, 400 yards of offense and threw for 4 TD's in the game. The Leathernecks stuffed the box with 9 guys, and put their all everything corners on islands. Needless to say, they were burned.

The 2010 version of the GSU offense is not as dynamic or prolific as the 1998 and 2000 teams, but don't think for one minute that they don't have the ability to roll up 400+ yards on a "great" defense...especially ones whose only experience seeing it is on game film.

To tell you the truth, I feel MUCH better about this matchup than I did about having to face Wofford again.

blueballs
December 12th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Not sure if anyone has posted each teams schedule

Georgia Southern 10-4
Sat, Sept 4 vs Savannah State W 48-3
Sat, Sept 11 @ Navy L 13-7
Sat, Sept 18 @ Coastal Carolina W 43-26
Sat, Sept 25 vs Elon W 38-21
Sat, Oct 9 vs Wofford L 33-31
Sat, Oct 16 @ Chattanooga L 35-27
Sat, Oct 23 @ Citadel W 20-0
Sat, Oct 30 vs Samford L20-13
Sat, Nov 6 vs Appalachian State W 21-14 OT
Sat, Nov 13 @ Western Carolina W 28-6
Sat, Nov 20 @ Furman W 32-28
Sat, Nov 27 vs South Carolina State W 41-16
Sat, Dec 4 @ William & Mary W 31-15
Sat, Dec 11 @ Wofford W 23-20

Delaware 11-2
Thu, Sept 2 vs West Chester W 31-0
Sat, Sept 11 vs South Dakota State W 26-3
Sat, Sept 18 vs Duquesne W 30-6
Sat, Sept 25 @ Richmond W 34-13
Sat, Oct 2 @ James Madison W 13-10
Sat, Oct 9 vs Maine W 26-7
Sat, Oct 16 vs Rhode Island W 24-17
Sat, Oct 23 @ William & Mary L 17-16
Sat, Nov 6 vs Towson W 48-0
Sat, Nov 13 @ Massachusetts W 45-27
Sat, Nov 20 vs Villanova L 28-21 OT
Sat, Dec 4 vs Lehigh W 42-20
Fri, Dec 10 vs New Hampshire W 16-3

Wow... UD has only two wins over playoff teams, is 2-2 against the field of 20, and didn't play a FBS. GSU is 5-1 against the field of 20 including wins over the #1 and 2 seeds, and played a FBS. Interesting...

GSUISBACK
December 12th, 2010, 12:36 AM
GSU 22
UD 17

AAadict
December 12th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Wow... UD has only two wins over playoff teams, is 2-2 against the field of 20, and didn't play a FBS. GSU is 5-1 against the field of 20 including wins over the #1 and 2 seeds, and played a FBS. Interesting...

Strength of schedule in (#). Your FBS loss is to a program we have beat 2 of the last three games. We certainly did not lose to teams like Chatty or Samford. Congrats on your hot streak. It ends in Newark, DE,

51 Delaware AA = 73.38 11 2 59.11( 135) 0 0 | 0 0 | 71.98 59 | 74.39 49
71 Georgia Southern AA = 69.17 10 4 58.55( 141) 0 0 | 0 0 | 68.29 77 | 69.57 69

Tubby Raymond
December 12th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Any team that can run the ball at the clip that GSU has been able to run the ball, is in the game if they don't have a significant deficit to overcome.

Stout run defense and the socon stats demonstrate some very effective special teams.

Special team could be UD's achilles heel. Kicker didn't get it done vs UNH.

Oldhen
December 12th, 2010, 04:21 AM
The option works well because very few teams run it, opponents have to change their philosophies to defend it, it is hard to simulate in practice, and the option team relies on their season(s) of running it being a better prep than 4 or 5 days of practice against a scout team running something they have no clue about.

I've watched UD prepare for and play TO teams a number of times.... and the other team's first few possessions can be pretty ugly for us while the defense tries to adjust to the speed of execution that the scout team can't reproduce. After that, they settle in, and it usually comes down to execution and personnel, rather than scheme. When we've been beaten by TO teams, they were usually just better teams with better personnel, and executed well. They could have been running the I and it wouldn't have mattered much. They typically had a player or three we just struggled to contain.

Then there's always the issue of offensive adjustments... I remember when Paul Johnson was at USNA, and he had Kyle Eckel at FB. Eckel was a real load (ended up playing a few years in Denver) but we were able to stop the inside game pretty well. We come out for the second half, and we start seeing Eckel getting pitches on the option out at the edge. Huge mismatch against our DB's, and ended up being the difference in an otherwise even match-up. Bottom line is, those pitches could have come out of an I set, the TO wasn't the issue. The problem was Johnson creating mismatches and exploiting them.

Ud1Hens
December 12th, 2010, 05:11 AM
What I saw yesterday in the GSU/WOF matchup was GSU looked so much cleaner and crisp at running their TO. Aside from the fumble by Brown (which had nothing to do with the TO, just a guy who fumbled) they were quick in sliding off the first defender and getting to the LBers. I saw Wofford players knocking each other down, fumbling pitches, running into each other, and the timing just didn't seem there. I imagine that had to do with GSU's familiarity of the system and being a conference rival. It was also clear that you DT (#66?) flat out changed the line of scrimmage on some plays and just blew up the play before it began.

UD's OL gave up some sacks last game mostly to Devlin holding onto the ball. I think GSU will get some sacks (3 to 4) but I wonder how they respond to the short but effective passing game that UD brings. Often 8 to 9 WR/TE/RBs catch the ball a game and cycle in new WRs almost on a play by play rotation. #19 White is our best WR who catches everyting...sometimes especially early on our WRs get the dropsies. But they do get 5-7 per catch and Devlin is the most accurate QB I've ever seen and goes through his progressions before picking his spot. I'm terrified of our kicker, both on XPs and FGs.

This game will be a classic, "You know what we do, can you stop it enough times." In our 2007 title run we didn't have the leadership or talent on D that we do now. So I'm confident in our D's ability to makes some plays. A turnover can and usually decides the game. A missed pitch that gives UD a short field or a WR fumbling for UD and GSU cashing in could be the difference. I see both teams moving the ball but getting really stingy in the Red Zone. I, like OldHen, see a game in the low 20s. For UD's sake I hope there's little wind and no precipitation.

Baldy
December 12th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Strength of schedule in (#). Your FBS loss is to a program we have beat 2 of the last three games. We certainly did not lose to teams like Chatty or Samford. Congrats on your hot streak. It ends in Newark, DE,

Correction: UD has lost to Navy 2 of the last 3 times they have played, and the best the Hens could do defensively in those 3 games was hold Navy to 34 points (in a loss).

The Hens won't even come close to scoring 34 points next week.

Good luck. xthumbsupx

Ud1Hens
December 12th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Correction: UD has lost to Navy 2 of the last 3 times they have played, and the best the Hens could do defensively in those 3 games was hold Navy to 34 points (in a loss).

Good luck. xthumbsupx

I don't know what Navy scoring 34 points on bad UD defenses has tro do with anything. THis is 2010 vs GSU. Do you think GSU will come close to scoring 34 points?

cougarpines
December 12th, 2010, 06:27 AM

Good luck. xthumbsupx
How about 7 & 8 all time and 2 & 2 the last four with Keeler. Can you say cherry pick?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 12th, 2010, 07:43 AM

The team that played Navy was completely different than the team we have now. The guys have now have a better grasp of the offense, especially on the OL where the learning curve can be steep.

By the way, you lost two of the last 3 to Navy. And we only gave up 13 to Navy while you guys gave up 34, 52, and 35 points to them in the last 3.

Yeah...it's a good thing we're not playing USNA... we're playing GSU, who has averaged a mighty 17.6 points against UD in previous meetings... and I expect right around that on Saturday.

You did well on defense against GSU in 1997. In 2002 we were breaking in a new QB, a freshman fullback, and some new A-backs. But in 2000 and 2001 we had no problem scoring.

boonegoon
December 12th, 2010, 08:24 AM
The team that played Navy was completely different than the team we have now. The guys have now have a better grasp of the offense, especially on the OL where the learning curve can be steep.

By the way, you lost two of the last 3 to Navy. And we only gave up 13 to Navy while you guys gave up 34, 52, and 35 points to them in the last 3.

You did well on defense against GSU in 1997. In 2002 we were breaking in a new QB, a freshman fullback, and some new A-backs. But in 2000 and 2001 we had no problem scoring.

I think it's so funny that people call stats from the NINETIES to make points about today's teams. I mean, if you did that with App all comparisons to us would be absurd. This GSU team is not the same one from then or even September. Go GSU, beat Delaware!

AAadict
December 12th, 2010, 08:34 AM
By the way, you lost two of the last 3 to Navy.

You are correct. We beat them in 2003 & 2007. The beat us in 04 & 09. This Hens team is better than any of those teams with the exception of 03. When/who was GSU's last FBS win?

gsu6trophies
December 12th, 2010, 09:09 AM
None of this mess about Navy and 1997 and 2001 or whatever really matters. It's not like these are the same teams that played those games.

To anwer the question about the TO being a magic wand: IMO, the TO is just an offense that we employ. I truely believe that when this year's team and past teams have had success it hasn't been because they run the TO. It's because they've ran the TO well. Stop taking credit away from the players and giving it to a system. It's like those infomercials where people give some self help book all the credit for their success. I love watching run based, option teams. It does have it's advantageous if you run it correctly. However, it can be, and has been stopped before. The team that executes the best, and possibly gets a couple of extra breaks, will win this game. I see nothing in Delaware's schedule that indicates that they are helpless agaisnt our TO, and nothing that says that we wont have success. It all come down on the field. We are very young and have made it further than anyone thought at the beginning of the season. I think if anything our D is really going to be the game changer. Can we get into the backfield quick enough to keep Devlin from picking us apart? Can our secondary keep their recievers under tabs long enough to allow us to get back there? IF we can do those things, then our offense just has to be effective.

GSUEagle08
December 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM
We stand no chance. I hope we don't have to really play this game.

OL FU
December 12th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Quick somebody poke a sharp stick in my eyexoopsx

But Go Eaglesxbangxxlolx

Oldhen
December 12th, 2010, 10:21 AM
The team that executes the best, and possibly gets a couple of extra breaks, will win this game.... Can we get into the backfield quick enough to keep Devlin from picking us apart? Can our secondary keep their recievers under tabs long enough to allow us to get back there? IF we can do those things, then our offense just has to be effective.

You have exactly the right perspective and are asking awfully good questions.

AAadict
December 12th, 2010, 10:29 AM
FBS teams like Navy and Temple are no better than FCS teams like Villanova and UNH most seasons. Bigger but not better.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 12th, 2010, 10:35 AM
You are correct. We beat them in 2003 & 2007. The beat us in 04 & 09. This Hens team is better than any of those teams with the exception of 03. When/who was GSU's last FBS win?

You're right. Please be nice to us when we come to formally forfeit next Saturday. I'm sure a mighty CAA team and flagship state university like Delaware should have no problem with a teachers college from rural Georgia.

As for FBS wins, well you've got us there too. We have Zero FBS wins over Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Florida St., North Carolina, Miami, Oregon St., and Colorado St. We've only played the FBS Powerhouse Navy once, and are too afraid to even walk on the field against the mighty Temple Owls.

About the only thing we have going for us against Delaware is that Sports Illustrated voted us the 8th best uniformhttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/campus.bestuniforms/content.3.html while voting UD the 5th ugliesthttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/campus.ugly.uniforms/content.6.htmlxsmiley_wix

See ya next week, I'll be the one yelling Southern, when someone else yells Georgia.

GSUEagle08
December 12th, 2010, 10:42 AM
You're right. Please be nice to us when we come to formally forfeit next Saturday. I'm sure a mighty CAA team and flagship state university like Delaware should have no problem with a teachers college from rural Georgia.

As for FBS wins, well you've got us there too. We have Zero FBS wins over Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Florida St., North Carolina, Miami, Oregon St., and Colorado St. We've only played the FBS Powerhouse Navy once, and are too afraid to even walk on the field against the mighty Temple Owls.

About the only thing we have going for us against Delaware is that Sports Illustrated voted us the 8th best uniformhttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/campus.bestuniforms/content.3.html while voting UD the 5th ugliesthttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/campus.ugly.uniforms/content.6.htmlxsmiley_wix

See ya next week, I'll be the one yelling Southern, when someone else yells Georgia.

Before anyone trashes that picture of our uniform/player, the player wearing it is Teddy Craft who passed away in a motorcycle accident in 2006. I would argue he would have been one of the great WRs at GSU if not for the accident.

Baldy
December 12th, 2010, 11:21 AM
How about 7 & 8 all time and 2 & 2 the last four with Keeler. Can you say cherry pick?
Pay a little closer attention. Your fellow Hen fan incorrectly claimed UD won 2 of the last 3 against Navy. All I did was correct his mistake. You might need to discuss with him about "cherry picking" the numbers.

Baldy
December 12th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I don't know what Navy scoring 34 points on bad UD defenses has tro do with anything. THis is 2010 vs GSU. Do you think GSU will come close to scoring 34 points?
GSU has a much better chance than UD to score 34+ points.

DSPSelym
December 12th, 2010, 11:55 AM
With Manbearpig and Tinsley we should be able to keep the pressure on the QB to keep the score down. What was alarming to me is that Jaybow was only averaging 7.5 PPG.

Ud1Hens
December 12th, 2010, 12:16 PM

Care to ellaborate? I don't think either team gets close to 34+ points but how is GSU more likely to do so.

State Line Liquors
December 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Hopefully the game lives up to the chatter already popping up. All the history we love to dredge up aint got nothing to do with Saturday.

I'm just glad we've got plenty of experience playing against the TO and that it's a home game.

Weather forecast looks pretty good for Sat.

GaSouthern
December 12th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I think Del is gonna come away with the Win in this game, this is the game and result I predicted when I heard GSU announced in the playoffs. I expect Del to win in January as well.

AAadict
December 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I think Del is gonna come away with the Win in this game, this is the game and result I predicted when I heard GSU announced in the playoffs. I expect Del to win in January as well.

That's no fun! How are we going to get to 50+ pages? Let me help you out a little...Our kicker is shell shocked after the UNH game and has fans on the sidelines ducking when he attempts a field goal (only a recent issue and some say KC kicked a worthless extra point on Fri. to help him recover)...Our best defensive player got hurt warming up on Friday and is ALWAYS Questionable (6th year Senior)...W&M beat us and you beat W&M...that kinda stuff makes if fun and fills the void until Fri./Sat.(?).

Ud1Hens
December 12th, 2010, 01:05 PM
That's no fun! How are we going to get to 50+ pages? Let me help you out a little...Our kicker is shell shocked after the UNH game and has fans on the sidelines ducking when he attempts a field goal (only a recent issue and some say KC kicked a worthless extra point on Fri. to help him recover)...Our best defensive player got hurt warming up on Friday and is ALWAYS Questionable (6th year Senior)...W&M beat us and you beat W&M...that kinda stuff makes if fun and fills the void until Fri./Sat.(?).

Ding ding ding...We need the football chatter now that we are playing Sat vs Fri. Come on GSU I know you Southern boys love your football

EagleTrump
December 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Game is Sat at noon.

Ivytalk
December 12th, 2010, 01:46 PM
UD by a FG.

ud_hens
December 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM
FWIW (from 5dimes)
UD -7
nova -6

gsu6trophies
December 12th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I've watched UD prepare for and play TO teams a number of times.... and the other team's first few possessions can be pretty ugly for us while the defense tries to adjust to the speed of execution that the scout team can't reproduce. After that, they settle in, and it usually comes down to execution and personnel, rather than scheme. When we've been beaten by TO teams, they were usually just better teams with better personnel, and executed well. They could have been running the I and it wouldn't have mattered much. They typically had a player or three we just struggled to contain.

Then there's always the issue of offensive adjustments... I remember when Paul Johnson was at USNA, and he had Kyle Eckel at FB. Eckel was a real load (ended up playing a few years in Denver) but we were able to stop the inside game pretty well. We come out for the second half, and we start seeing Eckel getting pitches on the option out at the edge. Huge mismatch against our DB's, and ended up being the difference in an otherwise even match-up. Bottom line is, those pitches could have come out of an I set, the TO wasn't the issue. The problem was Johnson creating mismatches and exploiting them.

I wonder if having played similar offenses in the past is really that much of a benefit. While it means you have experience against it, it also means there is tape out there of how your DC defended it. Not claiming anything, just wondering if that helps the GSU O staff to see the tape and know the DC's tendencies and strategies. Also to be able to talk to those coaches that they are familiar with at Navy and get some insight into what worked and what didn't. I guess it could go either way.

Oldhen
December 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I wonder if having played similar offenses in the past is really that much of a benefit. While it means you have experience against it, it also means there is tape out there of how your DC defended it. Not claiming anything, just wondering if that helps the GSU O staff to see the tape and know the DC's tendencies and strategies. Also to be able to talk to those coaches that they are familiar with at Navy and get some insight into what worked and what didn't. I guess it could go either way.

I think the chief advantage of having played against a TO is remembering the speed with which everything develops and how the reads and blocking works... I'm sure practicing against it regularly helps... as nobody defends against the TO as effectively as folks who use it in their offense, personnel being equal.

We've played good TO teams and did well against the when we had the right people. It's gone the other way, too. I'm pretty convinced the biggest advantage a TO gives you is pretty short lived, and the bulk of the game is about personnel and execution.... on both sides of the ball.

Milktruck74
December 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM
One HUGE benefit of the TO is the ability to eat the clock. Keeping the Hens O off the field is a good thing. I think UD has a better team, but I wouldn't be shocked to see GSU on top at the end. After all, IT IS THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

VUCats02
December 12th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Very off topic here, but if Nova was on Delaware's side of the bracket, and we were playing you guys this Saturday, that would mean we would be playing you in football and basketball on the same day! This was so close to happening haha. When is the last time two schools played each other in football and basketball the same day??

HailSzczur
December 12th, 2010, 05:16 PM
my gut reaction to this (with delawares resume and the hopes of nova beating udel again) is to say delaware hands down will win

but after watching them on friday, and what i saw of GSU, i think GSU has a very strong chance of making it to Frisco.

should be a great game. ah the beauty of playoff football

GSC75
December 12th, 2010, 05:38 PM
for those of you not familiar with the last 5 years at GSU - we have gone through the ringer - GSU football died (or was killed) and is now going through a rebirth.....these kids are absolutely unbelieveable - no-one with the exception of Shaw has had any previous experience with the TO... it's amazing to see them go from lost to the beginnings of a TO team... we are not there yet. We will now begin recruiting specifically for the TO. next year SHOULD be even better as we are playing many sophmores and freshmen...

BlueHenSinfonian
December 12th, 2010, 05:41 PM
for those of you not familiar with the last 5 years at GSU - we have gone through the ringer - GSU football died (or was killed) and is now going through a rebirth.....these kids are absolutely unbelieveable - no-one with the exception of Shaw has had any previous experience with the TO... it's amazing to see them go from lost to the beginnings of a TO team... we are not there yet. We will now begin recruiting specifically for the TO. next year SHOULD be even better as we are playing many sophmores and freshmen...

What happened that caused GaSou to drop off of the map? I remember when I was at UD at the turn of the millennium that GaSou was the program to beat, Appy wasn't even on the radar. The tide turned pretty rapidly in the SoCon and suddenly Appy had all of the thunder and GaSou was nowhere to be found, why?

UncleSam
December 12th, 2010, 05:48 PM
FWIW (from 5dimes)
UD -7
nova -6

I think this is more realistic;

Nova -8
UD -3

BlueHenSinfonian
December 12th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I think this is more realistic;

Nova -8
UD -3

I'd go as far as to put it as:

Nova -> -14
UD -> 0

We have what will easily be the toughest game of the season on our hands this week, while Nova should be able to walk all over EWU blindfolded after what they did to Appy.

GSU1-A
December 12th, 2010, 05:55 PM
What happened that caused GaSou to drop off of the map? I remember when I was at UD at the turn of the millennium that GaSou was the program to beat, Appy wasn't even on the radar. The tide turned pretty rapidly in the SoCon and suddenly Appy had all of the thunder and GaSou was nowhere to be found, why?

Sam Baker's Hire of Van Goober... Who came in to town taking away the TO, traditions, and the most important tradition: Winning!

The Eagle's Cliff
December 12th, 2010, 06:02 PM

Without getting into "why's", we fired Mike Sewak in 2005 and hired Brian Van Gorder (defensive coordinator at UGA, linebacker coach Jacksonville Jaguars, current Falcons D-coordinator) who tried to change us into a "regular" team with big lineman, pocket QB, etc. He left without warning in Feb 2007 after going 3-8 in 2006.

2007, hired Chris Hatcher from Valdosta St (D-II) where he won Nat'l Championship. Hatch is current Coach at Murray St. Great guy and I think a good coach, but it didn't work out. 2009, he was fired after a win against The Citadel in final home game and Jeff Monken was hired.

To put it into perspective: A redshirt Senior at the football banquet in 2010 had Jeff Monken presiding, who would be the 4th head coach the kid listened to in his 5 years as a player.

We're all glad to have Monken, who comes from Paul Johnson's Triple Option coaching tree. "We're Ga Southern, this (option football) is what we do." - Jeff Monken

straightshooter
December 12th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Without getting into "why's", we fired Mike Sewak in 2005 and hired Brian Van Gorder (defensive coordinator at UGA, linebacker coach Jacksonville Jaguars, current Falcons D-coordinator) who tried to change us into a "regular" team with big lineman, pocket QB, etc. He left without warning in Feb 2007 after going 3-8 in 2006.

2007, hired Chris Hatcher from Valdosta St (D-II) where he won Nat'l Championship. Hatch is current Coach at Murray St. Great guy and I think a good coach, but it didn't work out. 2009, he was fired after a win against The Citadel in final home game and Jeff Monken was hired.

To put it into perspective: A redshirt Senior at the football banquet in 2010 had Jeff Monken presiding, who would be the 4th head coach the kid listened to in his 5 years as a player.

We're all glad to have Monken, who comes from Paul Johnson's Triple Option coaching tree. "We're Ga Southern, this (option football) is what we do." - Jeff Monken

Eagles Cliff is being too kind. Basically the program was totally decimated when the administration decided to can the GSU option that put those six flags on that pole in Paulson. The new guy came in and did away with virtually every tradition at the school, pretty much ran off about half of the team that was assembled to run the option and professed to the Eagle Nation that he was here to save them. It was a complete disaster, as he made the program all about him and constantly blamed the players when GSU didn't win. His wife didn't like Statesboro after coming from a NFL city and environment. He coached one season, had the worst record in the history of the program, and two weeks before recruiting signing day - he quit.

GSU brought in a young coach with a great winning record. He installed a TX Tech spread passing option and recruited specifically for it. He did recruit some really good defensive players and some excellent offensive skill players. After three seasons, GSU was winning close and losing close for the most part, and the natives were restless in Statesboro. They wanted their offense back. After a win in his final game in 2009, his contract was not renewed.

Enter Jeff Monken, a former GSU assistant under Paul Johnson and the GSU option attack. He assembled the kids and told them that this is our offense and this is our defense. If they wanted to win championships, get on board. If not, he'd help them find other places to play. Of the 100+ kids on the team at Fall camp, only QB Jaybo Shaw had ever played in this option offense, and he was a backup at Georgia Tech. The team was loaded with young players (only 2 Seniors that get any playing time). 16 true freshmen are playing significant minutes and six of them are starters. GSU is by no means back to the level they were at 10 years ago, but they are way ahead of schedule.

As former Furman HC, Bobby Lamb said, "this will be the worst GSU team we'll see in the next five to 10 years." He knows that GSU will get much better as they recruit players for the offense. That will mean speed, speed and more speed.

So now you know......

wmmii
December 12th, 2010, 06:30 PM
The Tribe played both teams this year. If UD gets off to a slow start from the QB position then GSU could put the hurt on them with the TO. My guess is this will be one hell of a game with the final score UD 24 GSU 21.

bluehenbillk
December 12th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Wow, I LOVE both of those lines. I saw UD about an 8.5 to 10 point favorite and Nova double digits, gotta jump on both before they move.

I disagree with the earlier post on UD's early feeling out of the TO. Sure.that's happened before but last year in Annapolis we confused the heck out of Navy early. They beat ND in South Bend the week before by running the FB down their throat. Rapone took that away and put 2 LB's in the 0/9 gaps and dared them to go outside.

Took a look at all of GSU's boxscores tonight. What makes UD so dangerous is they bring both the run and pass to a defense. I see that as the difference on Saturday. If you're going to beat our D, you have to keep them off-balance and guessing. If you're going to run 85-90 percent of the time, they'll swallow it up, too much speed and too good tackling. One area GSU looks to have an edge is placekicking, Perry is a head case right about now.

Henbychoice
December 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Looking forward to another hard fought game with you guys. Everytime that we have met, it's been a tough game.
I think it will be low scoring and hope the weather cooperates.

The long range forecast says a high of 37 and 15mph wind. They're also calling for rain/snow on Sunday and a high of 36, hope this stays away until at least Sunday.
I'm looking forward to a good, hard fought football game, and of course I'm anticipating a Blue Hen victory, so I don't want to see the weather play a factor in the outcome. I want the guys on the field (players and coaches, NOT the officials) to decide the game

bleedblue
December 12th, 2010, 07:34 PM
GSU won't score 34 and neither will UD. GSU will rush for a lot of yards, perhaps 220, but will have hard time getting rusing TD's. I am more concerned with their D Line. You put pressure on Pat and this game goes down to the last drive. But if he's comfortable in the pocket he will pick you apart. If he gets 2 or 3 drives where he has time it will result in 10-21 points. I just wonder if GSU beats us up with rushing yards and then as we sell out to stop the run we get burnt for one big pass play. All in all I see a 20-19 win for UD. I do see GSU getting 220-250 rushing yards with a few field goals in the mix. But UD defense will bend and more times than not they will not break. I do see this game coming down to the last drive. Good luck HENS!

parr90
December 12th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I expect you'll be getting an infraction. Thank you.

BTW, you are a run heavy team so my statement was correct.

You may be right on the balance thing but the fact that many teams we face in the playoffs dont ever face this offense makes it very difficult to defend. Most defenses are some what shocked when they line up the first play against this offense. The splits are so wide you line up and say what the ****. This is I would say a big advantage for us in the playoffs. I think Deleware is very good. I think it will come down to whos D plays the best. Both offenses will move the ball I would think.

parr90
December 12th, 2010, 08:27 PM
The long range forecast says a high of 37 and 15mph wind. They're also calling for rain/snow on Sunday and a high of 36, hope this stays away until at least Sunday.
I'm looking forward to a good, hard fought football game, and of course I'm anticipating a Blue Hen victory, so I don't want to see the weather play a factor in the outcome. I want the guys on the field (players and coaches, NOT the officials) to decide the game

If this weather report stays true it will benefit UD. GSU doesnt do well in cold, wet, or snowy weather.

straightshooter
December 12th, 2010, 08:35 PM
The temperature at the WM game pretty close to what's forecast for Saturday, and it didn't phase GSU a bit. Now, add the wet or snow Parr mentioned, and that's a different story.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 12th, 2010, 09:04 PM
The temperature at the WM game pretty close to what's forecast for Saturday, and it didn't phase GSU a bit. Now, add the wet or snow Parr mentioned, and that's a different story.

Unfortunately the fieldturf at Delaware Stadium negates a lot of the effects of the weather. If we still had our natural grass, the field would have a nice slimy slipper mudpatch developing through the center by now.

Dblue
December 12th, 2010, 11:20 PM
........I likely know more about cfb in general than you could ever dream about knowing.

Mods should give you an infraction for that.

GaSouthern
December 12th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Cooking With Brent Russell will air this saturday at noon on ESPNU, here is what he has planned To be served with your best beer. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/neelys/roasted-cornish-game-hens-recipe/index.html)

Man-Bear-Pig eats quarterbacks raw.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs591.ash2/154315_786952129791_33004836_41513938_5593325_n.jp g

Dblue
December 12th, 2010, 11:53 PM
xlolxxthumbsupx

LeadBolt
December 13th, 2010, 07:20 AM
This is going to be a great game! Good luck to both teams, the fans that see it are going to be the real winners in this one.

GaSouthern
December 13th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Two of the greatest teams in FCS history, I wish I could make the trip to see this live but funds just will not support it, i'll be watching from Savannah, GA :(

I expect it to be one from the ages. The series is split 2-2 until this saturday.

GannonFan
December 13th, 2010, 10:14 AM
You may be right on the balance thing but the fact that many teams we face in the playoffs dont ever face this offense makes it very difficult to defend. Most defenses are some what shocked when they line up the first play against this offense. The splits are so wide you line up and say what the ****. This is I would say a big advantage for us in the playoffs. I think Deleware is very good. I think it will come down to whos D plays the best. Both offenses will move the ball I would think.

GSU won't bring anything to the table that UD hasn't seen before. The triple option isn't that rare and UD has played against it against a team that runs it even better than GSU. The schemes aren't going to win the game on Saturday. If GSU wins, it will be because they were better at doing what they do than UD will be at doing what they do. Plain and simple. This is the semifinals of the playoffs, other than EWU, these are the best teams around. No one's going to lose because of a scheme.

jmufan999
December 13th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I'm intrigued by why all of the GaSou fans think that the triple option is some sort of magical undefeatable offensive philosophy.

as a player, it's very difficult to play against it if you haven't seen it yet. and to the best of my knowledge, UD has not seen it this year. trust me when i say there will be an adjustment. the best thing you can do for yourselves is get a lead. if they get in front, they're just going to pound you all day long.

jmufan999
December 13th, 2010, 10:21 AM
GSU won't bring anything to the table that UD hasn't seen before. The triple option isn't that rare and UD has played against it against a team that runs it even better than GSU.

who? and yes, the triple option absolutely is rare.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM

That's what I thought when GA Southern travelled to play the best team in the country (W&M) and not only ran all over them, but shut down the Tribe's offense. Keep in mind the Tribe beat Delaware. I'm not making a pick here, just saying anything can happen. Delaware is going to need some turnovers to keep this game in control.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=Originally Posted by BlueHenSinfonian
I'm intrigued by why all of the GaSou fans think that the triple option is some sort of magical undefeatable offensive philosophy.
.[/QUOTE]

Right, but GA Southern's D is also very good. GA Southern is going to get their points, but if Delaware can't score more, they can't win. I'm just saying.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM
GSU won't bring anything to the table that UD hasn't seen before. The triple option isn't that rare and UD has played against it against a team that runs it even better than GSU. The schemes aren't going to win the game on Saturday. If GSU wins, it will be because they were better at doing what they do than UD will be at doing what they do. Plain and simple. This is the semifinals of the playoffs, other than EWU, these are the best teams around. No one's going to lose because of a scheme.

Speaking as someone with foot-in-mouth, I said the same thing before the W&M game. Tribe defense was in the top few against the run. And I watched it happen right in front of me. Can't underestimate the Triple-Optioin with that Shaw kid running it. And especially not the GA Southern defense. They shut down the Tribe offense the whole game. I'm rooting for Delaware as a CAA homer, but GA Southern has pulled off 3 road upsets in a row.

Side Judge
December 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately the fieldturf at Delaware Stadium negates a lot of the effects of the weather. If we still had our natural grass, the field would have a nice slimy slipper mudpatch developing through the center by now.
or we'd be playing this game at Richmond...

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Pretty amazing what he's done after a 4-4 start including a loss to Samford.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Eagles Cliff is being too kind. Basically the program was totally decimated when the administration decided to can the GSU option that put those six flags on that pole in Paulson. The new guy came in and did away with virtually every tradition at the school, pretty much ran off about half of the team that was assembled to run the option and professed to the Eagle Nation that he was here to save them. It was a complete disaster, as he made the program all about him and constantly blamed the players when GSU didn't win. His wife didn't like Statesboro after coming from a NFL city and environment. He coached one season, had the worst record in the history of the program, and two weeks before recruiting signing day - he quit.

GSU brought in a young coach with a great winning record. He installed a TX Tech spread passing option and recruited specifically for it. He did recruit some really good defensive players and some excellent offensive skill players. After three seasons, GSU was winning close and losing close for the most part, and the natives were restless in Statesboro. They wanted their offense back. After a win in his final game in 2009, his contract was not renewed.

Enter Jeff Monken, a former GSU assistant under Paul Johnson and the GSU option attack. He assembled the kids and told them that this is our offense and this is our defense. If they wanted to win championships, get on board. If not, he'd help them find other places to play. Of the 100+ kids on the team at Fall camp, only QB Jaybo Shaw had ever played in this option offense, and he was a backup at Georgia Tech. The team was loaded with young players (only 2 Seniors that get any playing time). 16 true freshmen are playing significant minutes and six of them are starters. GSU is by no means back to the level they were at 10 years ago, but they are way ahead of schedule.

As former Furman HC, Bobby Lamb said, "this will be the worst GSU team we'll see in the next five to 10 years." He knows that GSU will get much better as they recruit players for the offense. That will mean speed, speed and more speed.

So now you know......

Did GA Southern run the Triple Option before Paul Johnson's tenure? Wasn't he only there for the last 2 of the 6 championships?

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM
The Tribe played both teams this year. If UD gets off to a slow start from the QB position then GSU could put the hurt on them with the TO. My guess is this will be one hell of a game with the final score UD 24 GSU 21.

Agreed. Based on comments by W&M coach Laycock, I'm guessing the Tribe didn't practice enough over the holiday week, and did not prepare much for the Triple Option. If you don't run it or play against it regularly, it must be hard to practice for or simulate. I hope Delaware is preparing specifically for the Triple Option, or this could be similar to the Tribe game. Wofford did a pretty good job on defense, and could have won that game, probably because they run a similar offense. IMO.

GATA
December 13th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Did GA Southern run the Triple Option before Paul Johnson's tenure? Wasn't he only there for the last 2 of the 6 championships?

Yes...all six national titles were won with the flexbone offense.

and people have sworn since the 1980's that the offense has been "figured out."

If there's an offense that's been "figured out" it's the I formation "smash mouth" approach to football aka tressell ball. Every defensive coordinator in the country would love to face that type of garbage offense every week.

bluehenbillk
December 13th, 2010, 10:51 AM
After the JMU debacle where they abandoned the pass & ran all over W&M, you knew they were susceptible to that kind of offense - that's why that game was predicted as close to 50/50 as any Sweet 16 game. UD's defense is a little different - no disrespect to GSU- but if you're going to be one-dimensional UD's defense is extremely tough to beat.

The more interesting battle is on the other side - UD's offense vs GSU's defense. Pat Devlin, AP & Nijha White & Co against the skill people GSU has & even moreso - UD's OL vs GSU's D front. UD was able to hold a good UNH DL off after the 1st 20 minutes - they'll need to do the same or better this week. In the 2nd half they just word down UNH's line and AP & Hayes ran for decent chunks of yardage. UD will use the whole field on O so it'll be interesting.

Going with UD 24 - GSU 10

blueballs
December 13th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Paul Johnson was on Erk Russell's staff during the 1985 & 1986 seasons and is credited with "inventing" this version of the triple option, which is a little bit wishbone and a little bit veer.

GATA
December 13th, 2010, 10:52 AM

While this is true...it applies even more in your case. I wouldn't call your offense "vanilla" by any means, but it certainly won't be the first time this year we've faced a team with a similar scheme...

With that being said...just a quick glance makes it clear that Delaware is a BIGGER team. Speed...might be even (we're not very fast at all compared to our past teams).

Should be a good one.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 10:54 AM
GSU won't score 34 and neither will UD. GSU will rush for a lot of yards, perhaps 220, but will have hard time getting rusing TD's. I am more concerned with their D Line. You put pressure on Pat and this game goes down to the last drive. But if he's comfortable in the pocket he will pick you apart. If he gets 2 or 3 drives where he has time it will result in 10-21 points. I just wonder if GSU beats us up with rushing yards and then as we sell out to stop the run we get burnt for one big pass play. All in all I see a 20-19 win for UD. I do see GSU getting 220-250 rushing yards with a few field goals in the mix. But UD defense will bend and more times than not they will not break. I do see this game coming down to the last drive. Good luck HENS!

I am rooting for Delaware, and I hope you are correct, sir. But as a CAA homer, I have watched every one of GA Southern's playoff games thinking just what you said. They get 3-4 on every run, and a whole bunch of times, 7-10. They keep running it, and eventually work their way down the field. They may get a few TD's and a bunch of FG's, but their clock control and their defense has been winning games.

blueballs
December 13th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Agreed. Based on comments by W&M coach Laycock, I'm guessing the Tribe didn't practice enough over the holiday week, and did not prepare much for the Triple Option. If you don't run it or play against it regularly, it must be hard to practice for or simulate. I hope Delaware is preparing specifically for the Triple Option, or this could be similar to the Tribe game. Wofford did a pretty good job on defense, and could have won that game, probably because they run a similar offense. IMO.

Plus Wofford had already faced GSU and Citadel earlier in the year... so in addition to seeing a variation of the option offense in practice every day they had already faced two option teams and it was their second go 'round against GSU. Nopt only that, but Wofford is pretty good defensively save for their biannual meltdown on the mountain (when they visit App).

GATA
December 13th, 2010, 10:56 AM
After the JMU debacle where they abandoned the pass & ran all over W&M, you knew they were susceptible to that kind of offense - that's why that game was predicted as close to 50/50 as any Sweet 16 game. UD's defense is a little different - no disrespect to GSU- but if you're going to be one-dimensional UD's defense is extremely tough to beat.

The more interesting battle is on the other side - UD's offense vs GSU's defense. Pat Devlin, AP & Nijha White & Co against the skill people GSU has & even moreso - UD's OL vs GSU's D front. UD was able to hold a good UNH DL off after the 1st 20 minutes - they'll need to do the same or better this week. In the 2nd half they just word down UNH's line and AP & Hayes ran for decent chunks of yardage. UD will use the whole field on O so it'll be interesting.

Going with UD 24 - GSU 10

The entire concept of being "one dimensional" appiles to conventional offenses though. When you're committed to what you do (like Texas Tech passing or GSU/Georgia Tech running) you're going to do it no matter what.

If we ran a pro style offense and tried to be "one dimensional" maybe I'd agree with you...but option teams aren't exactly worried about balance...never have been. Last guy who worried about "balance" coached at GSU in 2006 and we went 3-8. "balance" is just a cliche that overpayed NFL TV analysts throw around.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I'm going to toss out a few predictions just for kicks:

1) GA Southern will get 250+ yds on the ground
2) Brent Russell will be involved in at least 1 forced fumble behind the line of scrimmage (see SC State and Wofford games).
3) Robert Brown will have at least 1 fumble
4) 3 GA Southern runners will have greater than 50 yards rushing
5) Delaware will score less than their average per game
6) The winner of the turnover battle will win the game
7) GA Southern will have as many FG's as TD's

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 11:04 AM
The entire concept of being "one dimensional" appiles to conventional offenses though. When you're committed to what you do (like Texas Tech passing or GSU/Georgia Tech running) you're going to do it no matter what.

If we ran a pro style offense and tried to be "one dimensional" maybe I'd agree with you...but option teams aren't exactly worried about balance...never have been. Last guy who worried about "balance" coached at GSU in 2006 and we went 3-8. "balance" is just a cliche that overpayed NFL TV analysts throw around.

Let's just say it's one-dimensional relative to run vs. pass. But it's multi-dimensional from a run perspective, which is what makes it so difficult to defend.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 11:09 AM
my gut reaction to this (with delawares resume and the hopes of nova beating udel again) is to say delaware hands down will win

but after watching them on friday, and what i saw of GSU, i think GSU has a very strong chance of making it to Frisco.

should be a great game. ah the beauty of playoff football

The same could be said about Villanova... holy crap that was a beat-down against a much heralded App State team.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 11:11 AM

That Shaw kid is pretty good at running the offense. Coming in from GA State, I'm guessing he's pretty much as good as they get in this offense.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM

And that Brent Russell kid is only a sophmore... that's crazy talk.

Eaglesrus
December 13th, 2010, 11:16 AM

One of the quotes I've seen many times from coaches that we have beaten is that it's not just hard to simulate, but even when you can simulate it you can't do it at the speed at which we run it. This is not our fastest team by any stretch, but lately the kids have obviously been fast enough to get it done. But again, what's really been winning games for us this year is defense. To me it seems that it's really going to come down to our defense against UD's passing game.

bluehenbillk
December 13th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I'm going to toss out a few predictions just for kicks:

1) GA Southern will get 250+ yds on the ground
2) Brent Russell will be involved in at least 1 forced fumble behind the line of scrimmage (see SC State and Wofford games).
3) Robert Brown will have at least 1 fumble
4) 3 GA Southern runners will have greater than 50 yards rushing
5) Delaware will score less than their average per game
6) The winner of the turnover battle will win the game
7) GA Southern will have as many FG's as TD's

If UD is going to let GSU have more than 250 on the ground they'll be in trouble. UD has only let up around 100 per this year. UD's defense will have some TFL's & sacks but is mainly a vanilla defense with decent speed & great tackling & secondary coverage. When GSU does drive the ball obviously kicking FG's vs getting TD's are crucial in close games. UD forces a lot of turnovers, I believe they led the CAA or were #2 in turnover ratio. Devlin has only thrown 2 picks all year, I belive both were tipped. AP has fumbled a couple times late in the year but otherwise UD protects the ball well. Most important part of the game to me is UD's OL vs GSU's DL. If GSU isn't a clear winner there, well, the game won't be a nailbiter. Still see the hens by 14-17 points in this one. Keeler has also never lost a home playoff game.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
None of this mess about Navy and 1997 and 2001 or whatever really matters. It's not like these are the same teams that played those games.

To anwer the question about the TO being a magic wand: IMO, the TO is just an offense that we employ. I truely believe that when this year's team and past teams have had success it hasn't been because they run the TO. It's because they've ran the TO well. Stop taking credit away from the players and giving it to a system. It's like those infomercials where people give some self help book all the credit for their success. I love watching run based, option teams. It does have it's advantageous if you run it correctly. However, it can be, and has been stopped before. The team that executes the best, and possibly gets a couple of extra breaks, will win this game. I see nothing in Delaware's schedule that indicates that they are helpless agaisnt our TO, and nothing that says that we wont have success. It all come down on the field. We are very young and have made it further than anyone thought at the beginning of the season. I think if anything our D is really going to be the game changer. Can we get into the backfield quick enough to keep Devlin from picking us apart? Can our secondary keep their recievers under tabs long enough to allow us to get back there? IF we can do those things, then our offense just has to be effective.

I agree with your assessment. The Triple Option is all about making quick decisions, and timing. If it's not executed perfectly, it can be a disaster. But if it's executed well, it will keep the defense guessing all day long, and chewing up yards along the way.

bluehenbillk
December 13th, 2010, 11:21 AM
One of the quotes I've seen many times from coaches that we have beaten is that it's not just hard to simulate, but even when you can simulate it you can't do it at the speed at which we run it. This is not our fastest team by any stretch, but lately the kids have obviously been fast enough to get it done. But again, what's really been winning games for us this year is defense. To me it seems that it's really going to come down to our defense against UD's passing game.

I'll agree with that & as I've said more importantly it's GSU's ability to not give Devlin time. If Devlin has time, he'll pick apart anybody & UD has a number of good WR's, White is the best, Schenaur & Crosby have played well lately & Thaxton is the quickest. Put it this way, if we're going to say it comes down to Devlin, I'd feel really good. In reality, our OL will have more to say. It'll be important for UD to establish AP & Hayes too, to keep GSU from just bull-rushing/blitzing.

Question for GSU fans: Do you guys blitz much or just look for your front to generate pressure?

DaltonLegalEagle
December 13th, 2010, 11:21 AM
To my Cerulean Female Fowl friends: Congratulations on a great season which I hope is about to come to an end.

To my Georgia Southern friends: a little Christmas cheer:

"On the 12th Day of my Georgia Southern Christmas, Coach Monken gave to me:

a 12th man at Our House!,
11 Tacklers tackling,
10 Erks head butting,
9 Runners rushing,
8 Eagles soaring,
7 National titles (I hope),
6 Terrified Terriers,
5 --PLAYOFF -- GAMES--!...(I hope),
4 Mora field goals (or as many as may be needed, mora less),
3 Blue hens,
2 Yellow buses,
And a chance to play just One More Time!"

Go Eagles, GATA! One More Time!

Eaglegus2
December 13th, 2010, 11:27 AM
BTW,

Jaybo Shaw didn't come from Ga. State...........he transferred from Georgia Tech.

I believe (have to check on this) Georgia Southern hasn't lost a semi-final game it played in.

henfan
December 13th, 2010, 11:28 AM
To me it seems that it's really going to come down to our defense against UD's passing game.

Agree with that but UD is also going to have to play great red zone defense, as they have all year. GSU will get their yards on the ground without question. If the Hens minimize Eagle trips to the end zone, they'll be in terrific shape.

I thought UNH was the best defense we've seen all season, until they started to wear down late in the 3rd Q.

tribefan40
December 13th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I think Udel's best, and perhaps only, way to win will be by forcing turnovers. GSU has fumbled in bunches at times this season, and seems to be the only thing that could slow them at this point. UDel will have more than a little trouble getting in to the backfield and will struggle getting any TFL. I think if UDel plays their game and has a couple roll their way, thay should be in great shape. Otherwise, it's gonna be a long day for the Hens.

Baldy
December 13th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I'll agree with that & as I've said more importantly it's GSU's ability to not give Devlin time. If Devlin has time, he'll pick apart anybody & UD has a number of good WR's, White is the best, Schenaur & Crosby have played well lately & Thaxton is the quickest. Put it this way, if we're going to say it comes down to Devlin, I'd feel really good. In reality, our OL will have more to say. It'll be important for UD to establish AP & Hayes too, to keep GSU from just bull-rushing/blitzing.

Question for GSU fans: Do you guys blitz much or just look for your front to generate pressure?

The front four are great on their own for generating pressure. However, it depends on the team we're facing, but we will blitz anyone from anywhere. We'll bring corners (the fumble return for a GSU TD was on a corner blitz), linebackers, zone blitz, you name it. Russell's ability to stuff the middle all by himself and our speed on defense allows us to blitz more.

Delaware will have to establish an effective running game because if Devlin is put into obvious passing situations, he'll be big trouble.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 11:39 AM
To tell you the truth, I feel MUCH better about this matchup than I did about having to face Wofford again.

... I think Baldy is right. GA Southern snuck out of there with a win. Wofford had the momentum. I'm thinking Delaware may have a tougher time than Wofford did.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 11:40 AM
BTW,

Jaybo Shaw didn't come from Ga. State...........he transferred from Georgia Tech.

I believe (have to check on this) Georgia Southern hasn't lost a semi-final game it played in.

Duh.. my typo.

Baldy
December 13th, 2010, 11:40 AM
BTW,

The painful loss to Western Kentucky in 2002. How could you forget that one? xlolx

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I think Udel's best, and perhaps only, way to win will be by forcing turnovers. GSU has fumbled in bunches at times this season, and seems to be the only thing that could slow them at this point. UDel will have more than a little trouble getting in to the backfield and will struggle getting any TFL. I think if UDel plays their game and has a couple roll their way, thay should be in great shape. Otherwise, it's gonna be a long day for the Hens.

Seems all the GA Southern fans point to two things: 1) Jaybo Shaw needs to stay healthy and in the game and, 2) Robert Brown cannot fumble the ball. Seems they have lost games due to one or both of these.

straightshooter
December 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM
GSU is 8-2 in semifinal games. They lost to WKU in 2002 and Furman in 2001 after Paul Johnson announced he was leaving to take the Navy job a few days before.

GSU will blitz from anywhere on the field, and they do it often. Safeties, corners, linebackers - you name it, and they'll come in a hurry. Everyone is talking about having to handle Russell in the middle. You better watch out for the other DT Tinsley. He's having a monster playoff run too. He's 6'3" (plays much taller because of his long arms) 260 and is cat quick.

GaSouthern
December 13th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Seems all the GA Southern fans point to two things: 1) Jaybo Shaw needs to stay healthy and in the game and, 2) Robert Brown cannot fumble the ball. Seems they have lost games due to one or both of these.

Other than the game against Navy, this is dead on.

DaltonLegalEagle
December 13th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Two Feathers, good observations. We need to take the TO to Deleware and it starts with the FB belly dive play. If that is working like it did with W&M, everything opens up, including the runs on the edge. If that is taken away like Wofford did in the second half, then the options become more limited, and the defense can start cheating on the edge against the QB keepers & slot back pitches. Remember that this is the first year back in the TO after 5 horrendous seasons for us, and with the exception of Jaybo Shaw who ran the TO in high school and at Ga. Tech as a backup to Josh Nesbitt for 2 years, none of the kids have run it before, and most of them were recruited for the traditional Pro-style offense of the two previous coaches.

However, the KEY to our success is our defense and it starts with NG Brent Russell. If he blows up the Delaware O-line, then we won't need to blitz much. One KEY stat for us is that in the 20 years that we ran the TO from 1985 to 2005, our offense averaged @ 30 points per game every season, BUT in the 6 years that we won the National Championship, we also had a defense that gave up less than 20 points per game. This year: Offense @28, Defense giving up @17. What's the old addage: Defense wins Championships!?! Our defense made the difference in the App. State upset, the close Navy (13-7) game, the Furman game, and the Wofford game. Because our offense showed a little bit of its old magic and a little more spark in the SC State and W&M games, the defense was overlooked by many observers, but make no mistake, the defense is setting the tone for this season, and the offense with Jaybo, Brown, Wilcox, and others, including a reliable kicker in Mora & a good special teams, is complementing the defensive play. Provided that the offense and special teams do not put the defense in a hole in the Delaware game with turnovers on our side of the field, our defense will keep us in the game imo.

GannonFan
December 13th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Speaking as someone with foot-in-mouth, I said the same thing before the W&M game. Tribe defense was in the top few against the run. And I watched it happen right in front of me. Can't underestimate the Triple-Optioin with that Shaw kid running it. And especially not the GA Southern defense. They shut down the Tribe offense the whole game. I'm rooting for Delaware as a CAA homer, but GA Southern has pulled off 3 road upsets in a row.

As other posters have said, though, W&M's weaknesses against power running games was established when they let a so-so JMU team run all over them for 30 points late in the year. That was clearly a red flag that people were pointing to in the run up to the GSU game - W&M had a very good defense, but they were not equipped to play against an option team and it showed. UD's been prepping for triple option teams almost every year lately with playing Navy - didn't have that opportunity this year, but UD's defense is better suited to defend the triple option than W&M's defense was.

But I agree with most everyone else - this game will be decided on how GSU can defend UD. Devlin will be the best QB they've faced all year and if he gets time in the pocket he won't miss. Should be a good one.

blueballs
December 13th, 2010, 12:40 PM
True dat' legaleagle... GSU's first team defense has only given up one TD in the three playoff games thus far, and has only given up two second half TD's in the last six games.

GaSouthern
December 13th, 2010, 12:55 PM
But I agree with most everyone else - this game will be decided on how GSU can defend UD. Devlin will be the best QB they've faced all year and if he gets time in the pocket he won't miss. Should be a good one.

I've only seen him play in the UNH game and he did not look as good as Chattanooga's QB or Elon's QB in that game.

GannonFan
December 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I've only seen him play in the UNH game and he did not look as good as Chattanooga's QB or Elon's QB in that game.

A lot of people weren't impressed by Flacco either until they got onto the field with him. The proof is in the pudding. NFL guys don't think the Chatty or Elon guys are better, but you're welcome to your opinion.

GaSouthern
December 13th, 2010, 01:06 PM
A lot of people weren't impressed by Flacco either until they got onto the field with him. The proof is in the pudding. NFL guys don't think the Chatty or Elon guys are better, but you're welcome to your opinion.

Well Flacco was someone that I was greatly impressed by, there was no doubt, his motion was awesome from what I remember (I don't follow the NFL to know how he is doing now but I know he is the starter).

Pass defense is something that has been a concern of ours from time to time so he should have a good game.

eaglewithabus
December 13th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I really think this game is going to be a giant battle for field position. I have confidence in our offense to move the ball, but they can sometimes stall with a long field. The benefit we may have more so than UD is charlie edwards. Our defense is extremely tough, but our punter deserves a great deal of credit for pinning the oposition inside the ten yard line over and over again all season long. Seems to me (havent taken the time to look up all the stats) but from being at every game this season, our offense looks much more relaxed and tends to execute much better when we start outside our own 20. All that said, this should be a great game. I expect a turnover from one of the two teams to give someone the edge in this one. Hope Robert Brown can hold onto the rock this weekend and we get to play just one more time in January. Doesnt look like I will be able to make this trip which is killing me.

Eaglesrus
December 13th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Hope Robert Brown can hold onto the rock this weekend and we get to play just one more time in January.

Yeah, Robert's fumble Saturday was a real shame. Seemed like 6 of their guys had a shot at him and couldn't take him down, but the other 5 then surrounded him and one of them pulled the ball away. Not sure that I think that you can try too hard but if it can be done then this was a perfect example.

jlcharles
December 13th, 2010, 01:31 PM

Gordon was better than Tony Romo, but Romo is the one in the NFL because of his size. What's your point?

GannonFan
December 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Gordon was better than Tony Romo, but Romo is the one in the NFL because of his size. What's your point?

Don't seem to remember Gordon winning a Payton Award, do you?

straightshooter
December 13th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Nobody cares about the NFL. It's what he does on the field Saturday that matters. He will see blitzes coming from everywhere from GSU and Russell and Tinsley will be a handful for the UD OL to block all day. GSU will disguise a lot of their coverages, so making the right reads quickly will be a key. If he stays cool and collected under the pressure, the UD probably wins the game. If not, they most likely won't win the game.

jlcharles
December 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Don't seem to remember Gordon winning a Payton Award, do you?

Nope. He should have and probably would have had Westbrook not won the previous year.

Oldhen
December 13th, 2010, 02:38 PM
He will see blitzes coming from everywhere from GSU and Russell and Tinsley will be a handful for the UD OL to block all day. GSU will disguise a lot of their coverages, so making the right reads quickly will be a key. If he stays cool and collected under the pressure, the UD probably wins the game. If not, they most likely won't win the game.

Typical day at the office.... that's been happening much of the second half of the season, since UD started throwing more. I really can't say anybody's shut him down, though he's been sacked four times in two different games... one W, one L. Really can't say anybody's shut him down except our WR's... they've had the dropsies a couple of times this season.

I'd say your assessment is pretty fair, though. If he's rattled and undone by the pass rush, we'd have a real uphill fight. He stays effective under pressure, we'll be right there at the end.

UD77
December 13th, 2010, 02:46 PM

When we beat South Dakota State they were ranked higher than UD. When we beat Richmond, JMU and UMass they were all top 15 teams. One could argue that it was those losses that put those teams in a position to not be one of the 7-4 play-off team.

UD77
December 13th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Did you notice which team had the best uniforms? U of Mich. Look at ours and tell me the differrence between UD and U Mich? Then try to figure out why the difference in the rankings?

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Agreed, he did not put up his normal numbers in the UNH game.

EagleTrump
December 13th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Did you notice which team had the best uniforms? U of Mich. Look at ours and tell me the differrence between UD and U Mich? Then try to figure out why the difference in the rankings?

How about originality?

UD77
December 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM
How about originality?

Don't yours look a lot like Penn States?

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 03:23 PM
That kid Jaybo Shaw can run the offense very well. But he's had a couple of concussions, and a broken clavicle also. How much more punishment can he take? I'm just asking.

GSU&UT
December 13th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Jaybo never actually had a concussion in the SC-State game.

EagleTrump
December 13th, 2010, 03:30 PM
No, ours look like a modified version of the old Statesboro High School's. Since that is were we got our first uniforms. Not much has changed since. Our's also uses a blue helmet all the time and is even plainer that Penn State's.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM
When did Jaybo break his clavicle? Did I miss something?

gsu1moretime
December 13th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Jaybo hasn't had a broken colar bone. That was a slot back Nico Hickey who hasnt played since the sc state game. Also about the uniforms.. Someone must like them since look at the guy on the logo of Any Given Saturday. Looks alot like Georgia Southern ;)

EagleTrump
December 13th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Jaybo hasn't had a broken colar bone. That was a slot back Nico Hickey who hasnt played since the sc state game. Also about the uniforms.. Someone must like them since look at the guy on the logo of Any Given Saturday. Looks alot like Georgia Southern ;)

His number is six on top of that...hmm...

GannonFan
December 13th, 2010, 03:55 PM
How about originality?

Just taking Alabama's uniforms and dying them blue does not make for orginality either. Just saying.

cougarpines
December 13th, 2010, 04:01 PM
That kid Jaybo Shaw can run the offense very well. But he's had a couple of concussions, and a broken clavicle also. How much more punishment can he take? I'm just asking.

Didn't he transfer from Ga. Tech. Sorry just saw the answer. Thought we were the only school that took transfers

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Just taking Alabama's uniforms and dying them blue does not make for orginality either. Just saying.

Bama has different Uni's than us. They have stripes on the pants and bigger numbers. Plus their helmet color doesn't match their jersey color.

Our uniforms have a really great story. Back in the early 80's when we were restarting our football program for the first time since world war 2, we put all of our money into the stadium and into hiring Erk Russell away from UGA (where he was a legendary defensive coordinator).

We didn't have money for uniforms. We didn't even have money for a football for the first press conference. We were broke. So the local high school gave us their spares. We bought practice equipment from a bunch of different high schools in the area.

Our uniforms were plain blue jerseys w/ white numbers (no names, logos, stripes, etc.) with plain white pants and plain blue helmets with white numbers. As simple as it gets.

Well, before the first game Erk threw a roll of athletic tape to our team captain and said something to the effect "You go on and put a stripe down that helmet son, we gotta look classy."

Classic Erk. Classic Georgia Southern. That's why we don't mess with the uniform. That's why it is simple.

Eaglesrus
December 13th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Didn't he transfer from Ga. Tech

Yes, he did, and he was out some due to injury while he was there, but I don't know what the injury was (or injuries were).

GannonFan
December 13th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Bama has different Uni's than us. They have stripes on the pants and bigger numbers. Plus their helmet color doesn't match their jersey color.

Our uniforms have a really great story. Back in the early 80's when we were restarting our football program for the first time since world war 2, we put all of our money into the stadium and into hiring Erk Russell away from UGA (where he was a legendary defensive coordinator).

We didn't have money for uniforms. We didn't even have money for a football for the first press conference. We were broke. So the local high school gave us their spares. We bought practice equipment from a bunch of different high schools in the area.

Our uniforms were plain blue jerseys w/ white numbers (no names, logos, stripes, etc.) with plain white pants and plain blue helmets with white numbers. As simple as it gets.

Well, before the first game Erk threw a roll of athletic tape to our team captain and said something to the effect "You go on and put a stripe down that helmet son, we gotta look classy."

Classic Erk. Classic Georgia Southern. That's why we don't mess with the uniform. That's why it is simple.

I like the story, but you're basically saying that UD and Michigan uniforms are entirely different because we have a stripe on the pants and they don't, and we have a different font for the numbers than they do. Not to mention the color blue is entirely different. Cool.

EagleTrump
December 13th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I like the story, but you're basically saying that UD and Michigan uniforms are entirely different because we have a stripe on the pants and they don't, and we have a different font for the numbers than they do. Not to mention the color blue is entirely different. Cool.

Plain is plain. You can be plain and be similar to 30 different schools. Michigan's uniform is rather unique. When something comes up that looks like theirs, it's a deliberate attempt at it. You don't design that helmet without looking at theirs and thinking, "I want a helmet like that."

gsugt1
December 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM

No concussions, did break his collarbone at Tech though.

gasoutherneagle
December 13th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I'm not worried about talking smack. I'm not gonna argue over who's the better team. I'm not gonna defend the triple option against the non-believers. Quite frankly, I don't give a crap what anyone thinks of Georgia Southern's return to the big time.

I'm just happy as hell to be here. Nobody, and I MEAN NOBODY, thought the Eagles would come this far in one year. This is one of the greatest comeback seasons in football... ever! These kids have made something out of nothing and I couldn't be prouder!

It finally dawned on me Sunday night. Georgia Southern is really and truly back. From here on out, sling all the mud you want... I'm just excited to see the Eagles have made it this far. Win or lose: WHAT A FREAKING RIDE IT'S BEEN!

GATA EAGLES!!! xrotatehxxbowx

BlueHenSinfonian
December 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Plain is plain. You can be plain and be similar to 30 different schools. Michigan's uniform is rather unique. When something comes up that looks like theirs, it's a deliberate attempt at it. You don't design that helmet without looking at theirs and thinking, "I want a helmet like that."

The helmets originated at Princeton under coach Crisler. When he moved from Princeton to Michigan he brought the helmets with him. Legendary Delaware coach Dave Nelson played college ball for Michigan, and when he took the coaching job at Delaware, brought the helmets with him.

Delaware and Michigan's unis just look so similar by virtue of having the same school colors.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
So both schools have a history as to why their uniforms are the way they are.

It's just...

Ours are so much better!xcoolx

blueballs
December 13th, 2010, 05:48 PM
The helmets originated at Princeton under coach Crisler. When he moved from Princeton to Michigan he brought the helmets with him. Legendary Delaware coach Dave Nelson played college ball for Michigan, and when he took the coaching job at Delaware, brought the helmets with him.

Delaware and Michigan's unis just look so similar by virtue of having the same school colors.

Great story... didn't Michigan name its hoops arena for Crisler?

EagleTrump
December 13th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Well, since uniforms don't win games...on another note, Southern Pride will be sending a 75 piece pep band. Just got word. Can't wait to be in Delaware.

citdog
December 13th, 2010, 06:24 PM
think this will be a good game. as much as it pains me to say......Go Eagles from Pigs @ss!

SpiritCymbal
December 13th, 2010, 06:50 PM

I think the key for UD will actually be to plan on using those short passes and only require Devlin to stand back there for 2-3 seconds. One of (if not THE) greatests strengths for GSU's defense is our d-line. If Devlin still has the ball 3 seconds after the snap, he's either going to be on his butt or running for his life. Watching that UNH game right before the half, UD marched right down the field with a bunch of 5-10 yard short passes. That is what will doom our defense. You would take our d-line out of the equation which would be the best thing for your offense.

As for blitzing, we blitz at will on any play at any time. I'm not sure how, but Coach Pry seems to always have an blitz at different moments that rarely gets picked up.

I might be in the minority here, but I see a track-meet ahead of us on Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised if the winning team put up 42+ points and only wins by 1 score.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 06:59 PM
When did Jaybo break his clavicle? Did I miss something?

While he was at Tech.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Yes, he did, and he was out some due to injury while he was there, but I don't know what the injury was (or injuries were).

One concussion and one broken clavicle (as far as I recall) at Tech. Thought it was another concussion vs. SC State, but someone said it was not.

Either way, that kid better watch his 'noggin. Can't take too many of those.

SpiritCymbal
December 13th, 2010, 07:07 PM
If UD is going to let GSU have more than 250 on the ground they'll be in trouble. UD has only let up around 100 per this year.

Just to give you a little something to chew on...

SC St. is the #4 rushing defense in the nation (was #1 when we played them) averaging about 91.5 ypg rushing. We put up 323 against them (with our true-freshman back-up QB).
W&M is the #54 rushing defense in the nation averaging about 147 ypg rushing. We put up 423 against them.

250 is actually probably going to be a low ball number to look for from GSU this Saturday.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 07:29 PM

SC St. is the #4 rushing defense in the nation (was #1 when we played them) averaging about 91.5 ypg rushing. We put up 323 against them (with our true-freshman back-up QB).
W&M is the #54 rushing defense in the nation averaging about 147 ypg rushing. We put up 423 against them.

250 is actually probably going to be a low ball number to look for from GSU this Saturday.

You mean #5 (W&M), right??? ;) #54 is Samford territory... whoops!

mrklean
December 13th, 2010, 07:31 PM
You mean #5 (W&M), right??? ;) #54 is Samford territory... whoops!

we still Beat You!.....................................lol

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 07:34 PM
we still Beat You!.....................................lol

Very observant of you, mrklean. At least tell me you made the trip to the game to support your squad...

bigchocolate
December 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM

GSU is a very strong rushing team but the primary numbers against SC State were more a result of excellent defense by GSU which basically shut of the SC offense and forced 77 defensive plays against a triple option attack. After the first series by GSu which was very impressive, their total mounted primarily late in the game against a worn out defense. If Delaware came move the ball with reasonable frequency, GSU will not dominate rushing the ball.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 08:34 PM
GSU is a very strong rushing team but the primary numbers against SC State were more a result of excellent defense by GSU which basically shut of the SC offense and forced 77 defensive plays against a triple option attack. After the first series by GSu which was very impressive, their total mounted primarily late in the game against a worn out defense. If Delaware came move the ball with reasonable frequency, GSU will not dominate rushing the ball.
Agreed. In that game GA Southern only had one offensive TD until halfway through the 4th. It was mistakes by SC State, and their defense that created the margin of victory. If I recall correctly, both TDs in the 4th came on a very short field too.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Let's not forget that Shaw was knocked out early in that game also, and he is key to that offense.

DaltonLegalEagle
December 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM
The common denominator between this year's Eagle Team and the 6 NCs is the defense. From 1985 to 2005, our Offense averaged @30 points per game. BUT, in our 6 national titles, our Defense has given up less than 20 points per game on average. This year's team: Offense averages 28 ppg; Defense gives up 17 ppg.

Delaware also has a strong defense, particularly against the run, so I don't see a track meet game. Instead, I think a 28-24 game is more likely.

TwoFeathers
December 13th, 2010, 08:54 PM
UNH beat Nova
Nova beat UD
UD beat UNH

=

Your win over Bill and Mary means nothing.

How about this one:

W&M beat both Villanova and Delaware, and GA Southern beat W&M. So go ahead and crown GA Southern champs now...

GSC75
December 13th, 2010, 09:25 PM
uuh... 'scuse me here a moment - we beat SCS with a freshman QB who has only minimal experience in comparison..., he finally settled down in the 3rd and 4th qtr and started making plays - the D was worn out - but worn down by that same kid.... trust me my friend, if Jaybo Shaw had played the whole game, there would have been a huge increase in our rushing yrds. The D kept us in the game and wore down your offense.

bigchocolate
December 13th, 2010, 09:58 PM
uuh... 'scuse me here a moment - we beat SCS with a freshman QB who has only minimal experience in comparison..., he finally settled down in the 3rd and 4th qtr and started making plays - the D was worn out - but worn down by that same kid.... trust me my friend, if Jaybo Shaw had played the whole game, there would have been a huge increase in our rushing yrds. The D kept us in the game and wore down your offense.

Correction, the GSU defense dominated from start to finish. Time of possesion GSU 41:40 SCSU 18:20. Thats getting it done defensively. We will never know the answer to "what if Jaybo played the entire game". What we do know is Delaware must have some success offensively and if they can what is a very good rushing team will not look so dominate. I'm pulling for the Eagles, just keeping it real!

ButlerGSU
December 13th, 2010, 10:48 PM
This will be a tough game for the Eagles with UD's run defense. I hope we can move the ball on them but they have looked strong from start to finish and we will not have the 'Eagle Nation' with us this week. If we are fortunate to pull it off it will be by very little. Here is to another great game between two great schools.

See you on Saturday! Stay warm!

seantaylor
December 13th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I think we will do whatever we want to offensively. Delaware's best shot is to try to make it a shootout.

Henny
December 13th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Just a couple of questions

Do any GSU fans know how well the Eagles execute the TO in temperatures below 35 degrees?

Any concerns about your lack of size and depth on defense?

If you didn't realize, most UD fans know GSU has great football team. You wouldn't still be playing if you didn't.

Baldy
December 14th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Just a couple of questions

Do any GSU fans know how well the Eagles execute the TO in temperatures below 35 degrees?

Any concerns about your lack of size and depth on defense?

If you didn't realize, most UD fans know GSU has great football team. You wouldn't still be playing if you didn't.

I don't believe the temperature is much of a factor in how the TO is executed. Rain and field conditions are very important factors.

The lack of size on defense is by design. The coaching staff decided to go with speed in lieu of size, and it has paid great dividends. The only position where there could be some depth issues in on the DL. Depth was a real concern at the beginning of the season, but there have been some freshmen who have stepped right in and, in some cases, earned starting positions ahead of entrenched upperclassmen.

You said it Henny...great TEAM.

bluehenbillk
December 14th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I think the key for UD will actually be to plan on using those short passes and only require Devlin to stand back there for 2-3 seconds. One of (if not THE) greatests strengths for GSU's defense is our d-line. If Devlin still has the ball 3 seconds after the snap, he's either going to be on his butt or running for his life. Watching that UNH game right before the half, UD marched right down the field with a bunch of 5-10 yard short passes. That is what will doom our defense. You would take our d-line out of the equation which would be the best thing for your offense.

As for blitzing, we blitz at will on any play at any time. I'm not sure how, but Coach Pry seems to always have an blitz at different moments that rarely gets picked up.

I might be in the minority here, but I see a track-meet ahead of us on Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised if the winning team put up 42+ points and only wins by 1 score.

Good point with the short passing game - UD is very effective doing that. However, we're best when we can throw to all 3 levels & make a defense cover the whole field. Couldn't go downfield early against UNH whic is why in the 2Q we went to the 5-12 yd passes left & right. I'd look for something similar if GSU is getting pressure on Devlin, but for the most part this year our OL has done a decent job in pass protection. I'd be shocked if it's a track meet & I'd be surprised if either team scores 30.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2010, 07:51 AM
not trying to diminish the GSU win at William, but they were more like Mary after the Delaware game.... not sure what happened to them

Delaware wins this game on the leadership of Devlin

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2010, 07:52 AM
The temp wont hurt GSU's offense near as much as Snow does.

GSU @ Montana = Shutout 45-0
GSU @ App State = Shutout 19-0 (I believe)

These were both in the playoffs if my memory is correct.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Biden is already in discussion with Bill Gates about altering the wx forecast

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Biden is already in discussion with Bill Gates about altering the wx forecast

xlolx

Maybe they can call George Bush to use his hurricane machine that he used to create Katrina to come to Del.

UD77
December 14th, 2010, 08:26 AM

That is a great story.

Rekdiver
December 14th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Georgia Southern like Villanova is peaking in the playoffs. The William and Mary victory points to this as well as Nova dismantling of ASU. I thought UD looked slow against UNH (which looked slow too). Based on the big MO, I believe that GSU will claw its way to a final.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2010, 08:28 AM
xlolx

Maybe they can call George Bush to use his hurricane machine that he used to create Katrina to come to Del.

No no, you would think if he had this hurricane created, he would have been a little better prepared to respond

You can blame that one on FEMA and all the residents of NO that ignored the warings to GTFO of town

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Georgia Southern like Villanova is peaking in the playoffs. The William and Mary victory points to this as well as Nova dismantling of ASU. I thought UD looked slow against UNH (which looked slow too). Based on the big MO, I believe that GSU will claw its way to a final.

you might be peaking but William was tanking as well, as far as the speed.... what happend to all the SoCo speed down in Boone, NC on Saturday?

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2010, 08:55 AM
you might be peaking but William was tanking as well, as far as the speed.... what happend to all the SoCo speed down in Boone, NC on Saturday?

GSU is not a fast team, yet. We are faster than we were last year... if you wanna see fast look at the 2000 GSU vs. Youngstown state team on youtube. We have not been fast since 2005.

asknoquarter21
December 14th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Did you watch the game????

VU beat app on the Lines not at the skill positions.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Did you watch the game????

VU beat app on the Lines not at the skill positions.

I did indeed, VU did beat ASU bad on the lines and the Nova skill postions also one up on Appy xnodx

tribefan40
December 14th, 2010, 12:05 PM
not trying to diminish the GSU win at William, but they were more like Mary after the Delaware game.... not sure what happened to them

UNC. Never really recovered from that game.

blukeys
December 14th, 2010, 12:23 PM
GSU is not a fast team, yet. We are faster than we were last year... if you wanna see fast look at the 2000 GSU vs. Youngstown state team on youtube. We have not been fast since 2005.

Well as one who saw the 2000 GSU team I did not see that team as outrageously fast. Delaware had a field goal kicker who missed 3 chip shots and there were some really questionable play calls by the UD OC.

Delaware could have run all day on that 2000 GSU team and they chose to throw when GSU could not stop Antoine Jenkins.

DaltonLegalEagle
December 14th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Well as one who saw the 2000 GSU team I did not see that team as outrageously fast. Delaware had a field goal kicker who missed 3 chip shots and there were some really questionable play calls by the UD OC.

Delaware could have run all day on that 2000 GSU team and they chose to throw when GSU could not stop Antoine Jenkins.

Ga. Southern's success over their 20 year run with the TO from 1985 to 2005 was speed over size. Typically, our South Ga./North Fla. boys would be 40-60 pounds lighter on the lines than our competition from the Appalachian Mtn. schools, like Marshall, MTSU, ETSU, Furman, and App. State., etc. We went away from the TO and from our keys to success the past five years with 2 coaches who had different ideas about how to run our program. One coach was a jerk who in 1 year managed to totally disrupt and destroy our traditions and program and fielded a 3-8 team with 8-3 talent. The other coach was a nice guy who had Div. II success, but couldn't take that to the SoCon successfully in 3 seasons of trying.

The common denominator in our 6 NCs is defense, not offense. In our 20 year run with the TO (85-05), our offense averaged @ 30 points per game, but only in our 6 NC years did we also have a defense that gave up on average less than 20 points per game. This year, Offense averages @28 ppg, and Defenses gives up @ 17 ppg. So, blukeys, I agree with you, that as Delaware also has a top defense, it would surprise me if either team scores more that 30. I'm guessing 28-24 GSU.

Go Eagles! One More Time!

eaglewithabus
December 14th, 2010, 12:52 PM
think this will be a good game. as much as it pains me to say......Go Eagles from Pigs @ss!

never thought I would see this....what a season.

Eagle22
December 14th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Agree with this. On paper, the mismatch across the UD Oline and GSU Dline suggested UD would have a field day ... especially after Furman had exposed some of those weaknesses just a few weeks prior in a 45-10 thrashing of the Eagles, with Louis Ivory running wild (he racked up 300+ yards, still a SoCon record).

Some bad kicking from UD, coupled with a blocked field goal or punt (or was it two) .... and enough offense ... proved to be the right recipe for Georgia Southern that day. It might very well take some herculean special team efforts from GSU to end up on the winning side of the ledger for this game .... I expect tough sledding for the offense.

Fast forward to this game, and it again would appear that GSU is behind the 8-ball. The biggest difference by far is we don't have a veteran offensive group like we did in Y2K, however we have a MUCH better defensive front than we did that year.

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2010, 01:28 PM
E22, you think we were slow in the skill positions in 2000?

Now that i'm thinking about it I meant 1999 anyways, ugh. GSU vs. YSU. Seemed like our 3rd stringers had blazing speed.

blueballs
December 14th, 2010, 01:36 PM
GSU is not a fast team, yet. We are faster than we were last year... if you wanna see fast look at the 1999 GSU vs. Youngstown state team on youtube. We have not been fast since 2005.

FIFY

That team had some serious burners... Greg Hill, Bennie Cunningham, Ant Williams, Andre Weathers, etc.

Baldy
December 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM

Now that i'm thinking about it I meant 1999 anyways, ugh. GSU vs. YSU. Seemed like our 3rd stringers had blazing speed.
We lost like 15-18 starters off the 1999 team. IMO, we had no business winning the 2000 championship, but you won't see me complaining. xlolx

Eagle22
December 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM
We lost like 15-18 starters off the 1999 team. IMO, we had no business winning the 2000 championship, but you won't see me complaining. xlolx

Agreed. I love the effort Gino Tutera put forth at NG during that year, but the guy was hurt and giving up 80 lbs every game, never drew a double team and rarely was in the backfield ... however the opposing team shied away from running up the middle.

Only thing I can figure is they all thought Voncellies Allen was still in the trenches with Freddie Pesquiera !

seantaylor
December 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM
GSU might not be a fast team offensively, but defensively we are the fastest team in the country. Speed everywhere on D.

blueballs
December 14th, 2010, 03:51 PM

That 2000 group had a lot winners on it, just intangibles off the charts, not the least of whom was #3.

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2010, 03:56 PM
GSU might not be a fast team offensively, but defensively we are the fastest team in the country. Speed everywhere on D.

Not trying to pick a fight but who is fast other than EJ and Laron? Brent Russell is fast as heck for a DL but I only think we have about 1 or 2 track stars on D.

blueballs
December 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Not trying to pick a fight but who is fast other than EJ and Laron? Brent Russell is fast as heck for a DL but I only think we have about 1 or 2 track stars on D.

Fast for their position... Eubanks for sure, Tinsley too, certainly Gebhardt and Douglas- both of whom were running backs in HS, Rowe sure ain't slow, Hill is fast, DuBose before he got hurt, Butler is fast, Heyden ain't slow despite the fact he's white... so as a group they are definitely above average speed wise which was why Monken moved so many guys in the spring. He saw it on film and made the (successful) effort to get faster.

But you know what? There ain't a one of them who could even make the scout team at a CAA school. I mean, Southern will show up Saturday because they have to, but they are young, weak, slow, and not from the CAA; which means they have absolutely no shot at winning. We should all hope that it isn't along the lines of 73-0 and the beating isn't so bad Southern doesn't even field a team next year in the aftermath, because after playing and losing by 10+ scores to the almighty, omnipotent, all powerful CAA, there's just really no use in even trying to play a game of football.

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Crap, I forgot about Hill, he has some wheels.

DaltonLegalEagle
December 14th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Fast for their position... Eubanks for sure, Tinsley too, certainly Gebhardt and Douglas- both of whom were running backs in HS, Rowe sure ain't slow, Hill is fast, DuBose before he got hurt, Butler is fast, Heyden ain't slow despite the fact he's white... so as a group they are definitely above average speed wise which was why Monken moved so many guys in the spring. He saw it on film and made the (successful) effort to get faster.

But you know what? There ain't a one of them who could even make the scout team at a CAA school. I mean, Southern will show up Saturday because they have to, but they are young, weak, slow, and not from the CAA; which means they have absolutely no shot at winning. We should all hope that it isn't along the lines of 73-0 and the beating isn't so bad Southern doesn't even field a team next year in the aftermath, because after playing and losing by 10+ scores to the almighty, omnipotent, all powerful CAA, there's just really no use in even trying to play a game of football.

Amazing ignorance from a Cerulean Pullet! Should Ga. Southern pull off the upset Saturday, it will be because of its team speed and "a bad case of the wants!"

Should Southern pull off a blowout victory, however, it will be because of "cockiness" which will leave the Delaware fowl with blue balls by dusk. I don't think hiding behind the "almighty CAA" shield will provide any protection. Just ask William or Mary who find little solace in it after their game with us.

blueballs
December 14th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Amazing ignorance from a Cerulean Pullet! Should Ga. Southern pull off the upset Saturday, it will be because of its team speed and "a bad case of the wants!"

Should Southern pull off a blowout victory, however, it will be because of "cockiness" which will leave the Delaware fowl with blue balls by dusk. I don't think hiding behind the "almighty CAA" shield will provide any protection. Just ask William or Mary who find little solace in it after their game with us.

Aw come on now... you know bill and his beotch were just too full from Thanksgiving turkey and if they played GSU- or any other non CAA team- again the outcome would be a beatdown to the tune of at least 5-7 scores.

Delaware is lean and mean and they're CAA baybee!!!! They don't have to worry about any team in the playoffs except Villanova. If GSU even manages a first down Saturday it will be a miracle.

Shoot, the only "bad case of the wants" you're going to see Saturday is the rest of the football world wanting to be the almighty, all powerful, all knowing, omnipotent CAA.

DaltonLegalEagle
December 14th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Aw come on now... you know bill and his beotch were just too full from Thanksgiving turkey and if they played GSU- or any other non CAA team- again the outcome would be a beatdown to the tune of at least 5-7 scores.

Delaware is lean and mean and they're CAA baybee!!!! They don't have to worry about any team in the playoffs except Villanova. If GSU even manages a first down Saturday it will be a miracle.

Shoot, the only "bad case of the wants" you're going to see Saturday is the rest of the football world wanting to be the almighty, all powerful, all knowing, omnipotent CAA.

all right, I took the bait and got into the mud with a pig who enjoys it...The only speed I ever had heard off coming out of CAA school, though, was the kind that they ban people from taking.

Henzone
December 14th, 2010, 07:11 PM

UD's fourth string RB runs a 4.38. Pierce, our freshman starter is the slowest of the pack but was All CAA. Go figure! Our MLB ran 4.4 at 235 and is now playing around 250.
You are definitely going to be faster overall but the Hens are not Special Olympians.

blueballs
December 14th, 2010, 09:29 PM
UD's fourth string RB runs a 4.38. Pierce, our freshman starter is the slowest of the pack but was All CAA. Go figure! Our MLB ran 4.4 at 235 and is now playing around 250.
You are definitely going to be faster overall but the Hens are not Special Olympians.

Right you are... those guys are faster bigger than the guys who play the same positions for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Tampa Bay Bucs.

See what I told you guys??? This CAA is bigger and faster then NFL teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I ain't talking about poor NFL teams either, I mean NFL playoff contenders.

There ain't no way a bunch of freshmen and sophmore walkons from south georgia gonna' do anything against such elite professional quality talent.

seantaylor
December 14th, 2010, 09:47 PM

Our front 7 by man is fast as hell. Scott, Hill, Heyden, Westbrooks, and Martin all can fly in the secondary.

Henzone
December 15th, 2010, 06:23 AM
[QUOTE=manbearpig;1600407]Right you are... those guys are faster bigger than the guys who play the same positions for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Tampa Bay Bucs.

See what I told you guys??? This CAA is bigger and faster then NFL teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I ain't talking about poor NFL teams either, I mean NFL playoff contenders.

There ain't no way a bunch of freshmen and sophmore walkons from south georgia gonna' do anything against such elite professional quality talent.[/QUOTE

Reading comprehension problem ?......."you are defintely going to be faster." That translates into..y'all be faster then us. My point was that we keep agreeing you win on team speed and you keep whining. No disrespect. I was agreeing but pointing out we've actually got a few people who can run also.