PDA

View Full Version : Three I-A Games, Wave of Near Future

TexasTerror
February 19th, 2006, 08:12 PM
We have two I-AA schools here in the SLC that have three I-A games this year. Southeastern Louisiana and Northwestern State. Leads me to believe that if we had 12 game schedules, some teams that have had two I-A games consistently (SHSU for instance who had two in 2003, 2005 and 2006) may go to three teams.

Besides the $$$$ factor, what do you think would be the biggest reason for going to three I-A games for the SLC and in general, for the rest of I-AA, which could very well happen?

Here are some reasons, but which do you feel is the most dominant for the SLC and in general?

1) More I-AA schools are playing I-A games that would not in the past and multiple ones at that, meaning less OOC spots.

2) The SWAC, a geographically obvious scheduling partner of the SLC, has a nine-game mandate. They have two OOC spots, which in most cases is only one because of 'Classics' that occur yearly and/or rivalry games.

3) Geographically speaking, most I-AAs (non-schollies included) are on the east coast. Seen the I-AA map lately? East coast I-AAs are less likely to play the SLC, GWFC and Big Sky. Why should they when they can get a nice mix of I-AAs and even I-As or Div IIs from their side of the world?

4) Conference expansion. The SLC is going to have one less OOC game because of UCA which limits flexibility more. The Big Sky, a conference which has played the SLC a great deal (Montana St vs SFA, Montana vs SHSU, NoCo vs TxSt, etc) is adding Northern Colorado this year, one less OOC game for them.

5) Guaranteed dates. More schools are having non-conference schedulingissues so they'd rather settle on one or two sub-Div I games where they can bring in an opponent. (I remember the Montana fans griping that they had a sub-Div I opponent for once).

Any others I'm forgetting? What's the big issues here?

blackfordpu
February 19th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I think the money factor is the driving factor. SHSU for instance has been scheduling the I-As to gain $ so we can upgrade our facilities.

Second is the exposure. This season we play Texas, though it will be a blowout, it will get some media exposure because it is Texas. I think the Athletic Department is hoping that future recruits sees these games as stepping stones to a more dominent future in the SLC.

blukeys
February 19th, 2006, 08:50 PM
3) Geographically speaking, most I-AAs (non-schollies included) are on the east coast. Seen the I-AA map lately? East coast I-AAs are less likely to play the SLC, GWFC and Big Sky. Why should they when they can get a nice mix of I-AAs and even I-As or Div IIs from their side of the world?

Any others I'm forgetting? What's the big issues here?

You are right on target on this one TT. I don't know about the others but Delaware really only has 2 games OOC to worry about every year (we are locked into a deal with D-2 WCU till the next decade. PLEEEEASE don't bring this point up I as already know.) Our OOC schedule is locked in till 2010. That being said we can schedule MEAC, PL, NEC, Pioneer, MAAC teams that are within 200 miles of us with no problem. We can make money and offer the visitors a gurantee that makes it worth their while.

There would be a huge interest in scheduling McNeese St. in Newark (for competitive and historic reasons) but financially it makes more sense to have Monmouth or Albany. I have looked at the numbers and in the end Dollars make the decisions. What avid fans would like to see does not cause a ripple.

Dallas Demon
February 19th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Northwestern State, while never shy of playing 1A's, simply needs the money post Katrina/Rita. The state of Louisiana is really suffering right now, budget cuts galore. The school recently lost 1-2 million in state funding, a very significant amount. I don't think people across the nation realize how bad the situation is (still).

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Northwestern State, while never shy of playing 1A's, simply needs the money post Katrina/Rita. The state of Louisiana is really suffering right now, budget cuts galore. The school recently lost 1-2 million in state funding, a very significant amount. I don't think people across the nation realize how bad the situation is (still).

And it also allows Coach Stoker to give his annual, "we have one of the toughest schedules in I-AA" schpiel...

wannabegaucho
February 20th, 2006, 09:40 AM
And this is why Cal Poly is playing two I-As as well as Savannah State. I hope they make the playoffs, as the Mustangs will be battle tested.

Lionsrking
February 20th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I think the money factor is the driving factor. SHSU for instance has been scheduling the I-As to gain $ so we can upgrade our facilities.

Second is the exposure. This season we play Texas, though it will be a blowout, it will get some media exposure because it is Texas. I think the Athletic Department is hoping that future recruits sees these games as stepping stones to a more dominent future in the SLC.

Obviously money is the major driving force behind three I-A games but a side benefit for us was recruiting. The fact that we're playing a quarter of our schedule against I-A teams was a major factor in helping us land several of our signees who had one or more I-A offers. No doubt it will be tough sledding for us with no open date but if the schedule helps us attract better players, it may be worth it in the long run.