PDA

View Full Version : Elite Eight Playoff Attendance

superman7515
December 10th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Figured I'd get an early jump on it as I just got home from the Delaware-UNH game.

Delaware vs New Hampshire at Delaware .... 8,770 - Lowest attended game at Delaware Stadium since Oct 1968. xsmhx

Twentysix
December 11th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Figured I'd get an early jump on it as I just got home from the Delaware-UNH game.

Delaware vs New Hampshire at Delaware .... 8,770 - Lowest attended game at Delaware Stadium since Oct 1968. xsmhx

:(

JBB
December 11th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Maybe the bowels are better? There wont be 8,000 in EWarshington tomorrow.

Twentysix
December 11th, 2010, 01:32 AM

Over 10,400 tickets have been sold for the NDSU vs UND basketball game tomorrow at the Fargodome. (Keep in mind our fanbase is divided right now between football and basketball, and ND is tiny, and we usually get 3k? to a basketball game.)

That makes the playoff game sad.

If the EWU game was in fargo tommorow i would predict 19,287 for football, 12000+ for basketball.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 11th, 2010, 07:08 AM

Everyone is majorly underreporting attendance this year. I watched the game on TV, and while the stands weren't full, they were at least half full, and the student stands were packed. Actual attendance has to have been around 12,000 - 13,000 for that game.

HailSzczur
December 11th, 2010, 07:43 AM
well i heard a rumor last year during the playoffs that schools tend under report attendence for playoff games, becuase the NCAA take a cut of the money based on attendence. not that i think that anyone is fudging the numbers by 5000 or anything, but it certainly doesnt help.

Someone pointed out in th Nova App thread last night...its is 2 weeks before christmas, still not the best of economic times, and some people only had a about 5 days notice for travel plans

cowboy91
December 11th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I find it hilarious how often those the most critical of playoff attendance (don't believe the 8K for UD/UNH - fabricated number) are those who's teams aren't even in the playoffs.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Everyone is majorly underreporting attendance this year. I watched the game on TV, and while the stands weren't full, they were at least half full, and the student stands were packed. Actual attendance has to have been around 12,000 - 13,000 for that game.

The student stands hold between 2,500 and 3,000 depending if you count the band seats. They were almost completely full. Both the east and west stands were a little less than half full each (with each side holding around 9k) So 8,000 (east/west) plus the 2,500 students would give you anywhere between 10,000-11,000. So there was some definite under-reporting.

superman7515
December 11th, 2010, 11:14 AM
The student stands hold between 2,500 and 3,000 depending if you count the band seats. They were almost completely full. Both the east and west stands were a little less than half full each (with each side holding around 9k) So 8,000 (east/west) plus the 2,500 students would give you anywhere between 10,000-11,000. So there was some definite under-reporting.

I was there. The student section was not almost completely full. O was almost completely empty & P was maybe 3 full rows if they had all sat together. A, G, & N were almost completely empty. B, F, & M were mostly empty, well under half full. 8700 is right.

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Well the Wofford/GSU game was packed out like crazy today and it looked like a good showing in Boone as well.

turn1979
December 11th, 2010, 07:01 PM
App vs. Nova 15,706
Woff vs. GSU 11,823
UD vs. UNH 8,770
EWU vs. NDSU 4,060

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 07:03 PM
App vs. Nova 15,706
Woff vs. GSU 11,823
UD vs. UNH 8,770
EWU vs. NDSU 4,060

I'm surprised the Wofford game was only at 11k.. but considering our school bought up at least half if not more of those tickets then I guess I'm not surprised.

heath
December 11th, 2010, 07:41 PM
App vs. Nova 15,706
Woff vs. GSU 11,823
UD vs. UNH 8,770
EWU vs. NDSU 4,060
Pathetic! The 4 hosting teams ought to be EMBARRASSED. EWU?

BlueHenSinfonian
December 11th, 2010, 07:44 PM

As I mentioned, Delaware had at least 10,000 there, probably 12,000 - 13,000, but still embarassing considering we almost always top 20K per game in the regular season. If our own teams fans can't take FCS football seriously enough to show up for the playoffs, what hope does the FCS have of becoming as big of a household name as the BCS?

theasushow
December 11th, 2010, 07:45 PM
wow, a grand total of 38,000 people at 4 playoff games....and we wonder why we dont get more ESPN coverage. I think Michigan has 30k in their student section alone.

henfan
December 11th, 2010, 07:50 PM

Look, it's easy to dismiss the facts that UD had a short week to sell tickets, Friday at 8 pm is not the most attractive start time, we were facing an opponent whose fans are mostly traveling from 7 hours away, the weather was bitter cold, and the game was on television. The reality is that Friday's attendance was the lowest at DE Stadium in 42 years and we won't soon be duplicated.

Embarrassed? Hardly. Glad we're advancing to the semis and happy to be seeing another home game next week? You betcha.

ATX_EWUGrad
December 11th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Not to be an EWU apologist, but if you didn't go to the school or weren't affiliate with the school, there's a pretty good chance you didn't even know about the game at all as they get next to Zero play from the local media. The Spokesman Review hardly covers them. They'd rather cover a sorry *** WSU team that's 90 miles away and have apparently already moved on to basketball season as they're already fawning over Gonzaga. Oh well, it is what it is, so why apologize. We got another home game to get ready for on Friday I presume.

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
wow, a grand total of 38,000 people at 4 playoff games....and we wonder why we dont get more ESPN coverage. I think Michigan has 30k in their student section alone.

I'm fairly certain the numbers would've been vastly different if some locations were changed around.

EagleTrump
December 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM
It's sad that none of the teams are getting the desired numbers. The FCS playoffs are games that are gonna be as good, if not better than those BCS bowls. While it's great to watch Cam Newton walk all over whoever in a 40-12 rout, I would much rather watch a late game nail biter with GSU-Wofford, or a great back and forth with NDSU-EWU. If any of the fans of these teams would like for their school to advance to a higher division or even advance as an educational institution (which is the primary goal) they need to buy tickets, donate, etc. Whether your team is 11-2 advancing to the semis or 2-9 and struggling, there are kids on that field sweating it out and students in the classroom busting their @ss for an A. Show up and support. Education isn't free and more money towards it only means better experiences and opportunities for those enrolled at those institutions.

jlcharles
December 11th, 2010, 08:54 PM
And we've been hearing for a year about our exceptionally bad attendance during the playoffs. Good to see it isn't just us. BlueHenSinfonian is the biggest homer on this board. There were not 12k fans there last night. The East and West stands were barely half full. There was definitely under 10k.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
And we've been hearing for a year about our exceptionally bad attendance during the playoffs. Good to see it isn't just us. BlueHenSinfonian is the biggest homer on this board. There were not 12k fans there last night. The East and West stands were barely half full. There was definitely under 10k.

The vast bulk of the stadium is the east and west stands, the north end zone holds a couple hundred max, and the south end zone (student section and band) was very full. So half full on the big stands (probably 10,000 each capacity) plus another 1,000 - 2,000 between the two end zones, you have 12,000 there.

DFW HOYA
December 11th, 2010, 09:50 PM
App vs. Nova 15,706
Woff vs. GSU 11,823
UD vs. UNH 8,770
EWU vs. NDSU 4,060

SWAC Playoff: Texas Southern vs. Alabama State: 22,350

With numbers like this, it's no wonder the SWAC prefers to stay out of the picture.

superman7515
December 12th, 2010, 11:39 AM
The vast bulk of the stadium is the east and west stands, the north end zone holds a couple hundred max, and the south end zone (student section and band) was very full. So half full on the big stands (probably 10,000 each capacity) plus another 1,000 - 2,000 between the two end zones, you have 12,000 there.

Again...

I was there. The student section was not almost completely full. O was almost completely empty & P was maybe 3 full rows if they had all sat together. A, G, & N were almost completely empty. B, F, & M were mostly empty, well under half full. 8700 is right.

I wasn't watching it on tv. If you think that stadium was half full, you're delusional.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 12th, 2010, 12:57 PM
There's something very fishy about the way playoff game attendance is counted. No way was there more people at the GSU/Wofford game than there was at the GSU/SCSU game.

No. Freakin. Way.

Ivytalk
December 12th, 2010, 01:45 PM

But that's , what, two home crowds for Nova in midseason?xlolxxpeacex

HailSzczur
December 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
But that's , what, two home crowds for Nova in midseason?xlolxxpeacex

Nova's average home attendence was 8,573 this year, 213 less then the "reported" attenance at Udel on friday and double what was at EWU

TrueBlueHen
December 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Nova "reported" 7,103 when they LOST to UNH on November 13, 2010. The game was carried on Comcast in Philly & NO way was there that many "fans" in attendance, unless they counted janitors, officials, players, coaches, radio & tv crews, snack bar workers, police, etc, etc, etc.......

Saint3333
December 12th, 2010, 04:15 PM
App vs. Nova 15,706
Woff vs. GSU 11,823
UD vs. UNH 8,770
EWU vs. NDSU 4,060

Anyone concerned what the attendance will be in Frisco?

GunsAndGuitars
December 12th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Well....at least it will be a neutral crowd (if there is one) no matter who plays in the NC game.

HailSzczur
December 12th, 2010, 05:09 PM

yes, cause i know we wont bring more then maybe 500 people if we make it. the nova EWU side of the bracket i dont think will bring to many fans. hopefully alot of locals there

TrueBlueHen
December 12th, 2010, 06:27 PM
yes, cause i know we wont bring more then maybe 500 people if we make it. the nova EWU side of the bracket i dont think will bring to many fans. hopefully alot of locals there

Why the Hell did they move the game to TX - What a JOKE!!!

superman7515
December 12th, 2010, 06:44 PM
West Coast bias.

wmmii
December 12th, 2010, 06:56 PM
The cold weather was bad at UD but really the stands were 55% empty-If VP Biden could sit thru the game the turnout should have been better

Better have your A game for GSU they played us tough

superman7515
December 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM
The weather was better Friday night than it was against Lehigh. There wasn't any wind with the UNH game. It was cold watching Delaware vs UPS. L is for Logistics.

wmmii
December 12th, 2010, 06:59 PM
The weather was better Friday night than it was against Lehigh. There wasn't any wind with the UNH game. It was cold watching Delaware vs UPS. L is for Logistics.

So why the poor turnout?

HailSzczur
December 12th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Why the Hell did they move the game to TX - What a JOKE!!!

i think it will be funny if end up being Del Nova...2 schools seperated by 35 miles or so traveling 1500 miles to play eachother

BlueHenSinfonian
December 12th, 2010, 07:52 PM
i think it will be funny if end up being Del Nova...2 schools seperated by 35 miles or so traveling 1500 miles to play eachother

At least we could share a plane to save travel costs.

Henbychoice
December 12th, 2010, 08:53 PM
So why the poor turnout?

Too late a start for a lot of people(heck I was there and it ended way too late for me); game on TV so you could sit in the warm comfort of your preferred viewing place. Also I believe it was the last day of finals at UD and if so I'm sure a fair amount of the student body wanted to do something else than sit out in the cold and watch football.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Too late a start for a lot of people(heck I was there and it ended way too late for me); game on TV so you could sit in the warm comfort of your preferred viewing place. Also I believe it was the last day of finals at UD and if so I'm sure a fair amount of the student body wanted to do something else than sit out in the cold and watch football.

It was the first day of finals. The campus culture certainly differs from school to school, but the big BCS schools always have major student turnout, why can't the FCS schools? The game ended plenty early for the students to still go out after the game to the parties and bars. In all fairness, the student section was pretty well packed, it was mainly the non-student fans who didn't show up in numbers.

I was grateful for the Friday night game because I was able to watch it on TV all the way through in real time, and not have to catch glimpses on a web feed between doing work related things like I've had to do for every single mid-day Saturday game so far this year. For this Saturday's game, I guess I'll have to DVR it, and resist the urge to read AGS or check ESPN on my phone until I get home and can watch.

JMU1992
December 14th, 2010, 04:17 AM

There won't be much of a local turnout. Don't forget that the LSU/TA&M Cotton Bowl is the same night (I still do not understand how the NCAA alows that to happen). I was actually open to the idea of a different city for the NC game, but attendance at this year's game is going to be a disaster

UD77
December 14th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Not making excuses because I think the attendance to the UD / UNH game was poor. My thoughts.

1. There are about 11,000 season tickets sold this year. Some of those folks are really old and I know of some of them that didn't go to the game because of the cold. I went but really debated being out in the cold for something like 5 hours - nice warm home and big screen tv, beer in easy reach - naah go to the game. Luckily the wind didn't blow so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I am not sure how many extra folks are going to show up above that base of season ticket holders. I usually ask around in my work group to see if anyone is interested in a ticket. I usually get one or two extra folks but they go mostly for the tailgate. Also, I know that many of the folks left the little ones home because of the late night and the expected COLD.
2. My son goes to UD - he actually had a final that took place from 7-9PM. He couldn't attend the game. Don't think that was the norm for the kids but it happened to him. The students actually looked to have the biggest crowd I saw all year and they stayed in the stands for the entire game.
3. Friday night game - cuts into the tailgating for the normal groups, need to take off early from work, etc. Also - it was on TV.
4. Our local newspaper that had been doing a pretty good job covering the football team - kind of stopped doing that the last two weeks. Might not have known that the game was going to be played. This week they are doing a better job with the coverage. I think the school should also take out adds in the paper but apparently that type of communication is too advanced for them.
5. I would expect that it will be worse for the GSU and UD game in the fact that the dorms are closed on Friday. Only locals or kids in appartments will be going. Two things that might improve on the attendence is that it is a Saturday day time game and it is not on a TV station that most everyone gets.

Walkon79
December 14th, 2010, 09:31 AM
If any of these games were in Fargo, Bozeman or Missoula. Either Friday or Saturday, Sunny or Blizzard....

Near Sellouts!!

I just don't get it. THIS IS PLAYOFF FOOTBALL!!

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2010, 09:58 AM
If any of these games were in Fargo, Bozeman or Missoula. Either Friday or Saturday, Sunny or Blizzard....

Near Sellouts!!

I just don't get it. THIS IS PLAYOFF FOOTBALL!!

I expect statesboro would have sold out the stadium seats as well.

ccharlie
December 14th, 2010, 10:13 AM
We have attendance for all games all rounds at
http://www.collegecharlie.com/fcs.html

Villanova at Appalachian St. 15,706

Ga. Southern at Wofford 11,823

ND State at E. Washington 4,060

bluehenbillk
December 14th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Not making excuses because I think the attendance to the UD / UNH game was poor. My thoughts.

2. My son goes to UD - he actually had a final that took place from 7-9PM. He couldn't attend the game.

I don't understand that one: Even if he used the full two hours to take the exam - the game started just after 8 - he could've been in a seat yelling his head off before halftime. Not a bad deal for 5 bucks!