PDA

View Full Version : SBU Adds Second FBS Opponent: Will Play UTEP and Buffalo in 2011

Redwyn
December 10th, 2010, 03:43 PM
http://www.goseawolves.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121010aaa.html

Gotta think both games (one vs. MAC, the other vs. Conf USA) are much better matchups for SBU than South Florida. It's also not impossible to consider the idea that we might go on to win one of them. Buffalo's a mediocre MAC program (despite gains in recent years), and UTEP was a .500 Conf USA team.

SBU in turn will return a trio of top rushers (including pre-season All American Gowins), Coulter - a much improved QB through this season, and pretty much every major defensive starter except for Arin West.

Thoughts?

danefan
December 10th, 2010, 03:46 PM
http://www.goseawolves.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121010aaa.html

Gotta think both games (one vs. MAC, the other vs. Conf USA) are much better matchups for SBU than South Florida. It's also not impossible to consider the idea that we might go on to win one of them. Buffalo's a mediocre MAC program (despite gains in recent years), and UTEP was a .500 Conf USA team.

SBU in turn will return a trio of top rushers (including pre-season All American Gowins), Coulter - a much improved QB through this season, and pretty much every major defensive starter except for Arin West.

Thoughts?

Congrats. Both definitely winnable. I'd love see you guys take it to Buffalo. That'd be some great message board material.

Wildcat80
December 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Beat Buffalo Bulls!!

downbythebeach
December 10th, 2010, 09:03 PM
They really want to become FBS

Seawolf97
December 10th, 2010, 09:52 PM

Someday - but still quite a way down the road.

nwFL Griz
December 10th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Someday - but still quite a way down the road.

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't think either of those games are winnable? Sure, any given saturday, but realistically, these are both losses, IMO.

Redwyn
December 10th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't think either of those games are winnable? Sure, any given saturday, but realistically, these are both losses, IMO.

Buffalo only had 2 wins this season, and they were against Rhode Island and Ball State (who lost to Liberty). They also lost to Akron (who went winless otherwise, including a loss to G-Webb, who we routed in substantial fashion). I'd say we have a VERY good chance against this low tier MAC opponent, especially given that we bring back an overwhelming percentage of our starting lineup and get our All American RB back.

Now do FBS teams win most of the time - sure. However, that doesn't mean the game isn't "winnable". Such a stance would indicate very little knowledge about the SBU team in general.

Redwyn
December 10th, 2010, 11:41 PM

They do, and likely will. However, we won't move without a conference opportunity that will give us a regional rival and an increase in both basketball and lacrosse. Lacrosse is the tricky one, and really limits us to just the Big East. Frankly, I see them (with Rutgers and U Conn as good demographic matches for a tri-state rivalry and Syracuse up state) as the only match, and we're decades away.

That being said, expect these matchups to be only the "tip of the iceberg" of the demonstration of commitment SBU is making to football. We've grown leaps and bounds in the past 5 years. I expect similar exponential growth in the future too. We have the new conditioning center, the new practice field. Next up is a marketing push and stadium expansion.

nwFL Griz
December 11th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Buffalo only had 2 wins this season, and they were against Rhode Island and Ball State (who lost to Liberty). They also lost to Akron (who went winless otherwise, including a loss to G-Webb, who we routed in substantial fashion). I'd say we have a VERY good chance against this low tier MAC opponent, especially given that we bring back an overwhelming percentage of our starting lineup and get our All American RB back.

Now do FBS teams win most of the time - sure. However, that doesn't mean the game isn't "winnable". Such a stance would indicate very little knowledge about the SBU team in general.

Sure, Buffalo had only two wins, but they were under a first year coach, and are a very young team. I understand that you think your team could win. Of course they could win. But if I were betting, based on what I know now, I'm picking Buffalo. And UTEP.