PDA

View Full Version : App State AD sabotages GSU's playoff bid

GSU EAGLES
December 9th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Appears App State's AD forgot to send out the "reminder e-mail" to GSU's AD. Our AD should have been on top of things and never let it get this far, but it is odd the NCAA would have a rival's AD responsible for reminding everyone.

http://www.gadaily.com/images/baker-cobb%20email.pdf

http://www.gadaily.com/index.php/news/1-local-news/2325-extenuating-circumstances-surrounding-playoff-bid-explained

BossEagle
December 9th, 2010, 08:51 PM
xbangx Smh, Damn Appy's..!!!

No excuses for Sam still.. xnottalkingx

Skjellyfetti
December 9th, 2010, 09:11 PM
So your AD blames it on App's AD for not reminding him about it?

Your AD should probably act like a grown man and accept responsibility... not leak private emails to the press.

JSUBison
December 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM
This should get interesting.

xpopcornx

Gringer1
December 9th, 2010, 09:19 PM

Your AD should probably act like a grown man and accept responsibility... not leak private emails to the press.

The emails were obtained by the campus newspaper through the Freedom of Information Act. Baker still should have taken more ownership of this issue rather than relegate the job to someone with a family emergency. I would have to say that both ADs dropped the ball on this one.

gsugt1
December 9th, 2010, 09:23 PM

Here you go. Charlie Cobb apologizes for leaving us off initial email sent on 27th. That email came in on Nov 11th. Bids were due the 12th.

http://www.gadaily.com/index.php/new...-bid-explained

Baldy
December 9th, 2010, 09:25 PM

Leaked emails? They were obtained via FOIA request. If you actually took the time to read the article instead of running off at the mouth, you would have known that.

Reminder? The bid packet itself was included as an attachment in Cobbs' email. The truth is Cobb is just as negligent as Baker. Couple this with his monumental Tennessee Tech basketball blunder, and Cobb is as incompetent as Sam Baker...and that's something I didn't think was possible. xsmhx

Yank
December 9th, 2010, 09:25 PM

The emails were obtained by a Freedom of Information Act request. They were not "leaked" by anybody.

SideLine Shooter
December 9th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Don't you really think it is the responsibility of the AD of said institution to be aware of the process and be on top of the situation. Sounds to me as though someone is trying to pass the buck for their own mishandling of the process. But then again it is so easy to pass the blame and not accept the responsibility for your mistakes.

Personally I would think a school that has 6 National Championships would be aware of how the process works.

Mr. C
December 9th, 2010, 09:35 PM
The emails were obtained by a Freedom of Information Act request. They were not "leaked" by anybody.
Since when are private emails part of the Freedom of Information Act? Sam the spin doctor strikes again.

BlueHenSinfonian
Leaked emails? They were obtained via FOIA request. If you actually took the time to read the article instead of running off at the mouth, you would have known that.

Reminder? The bid packet itself was included as an attachment in Cobbs' email. The truth is Cobb is just as negligent as Baker. Couple this with his monumental Tennessee Tech basketball blunder, and Cobb is as incompetent as Sam Baker...and that's something I didn't think was possible. xsmhx

I wouldn't say this is on Cobb at all. Bidding on a playoff game isn't like a snow day phone tree - he should have known the deadlines and been on top of his game, after all, that's his job as AD to cover the logistical concerns of the schools athletic teams.

Gringer1
Don't you really think it is the responsibility of the AD of said institution to be aware of the process and be on top of the situation. Sounds to me as though someone is trying to pass the buck for their own mishandling of the process. But then again it is so easy to pass the blame and not accept the responsibility for your mistakes.

Personally I would think a school that has 6 National Championships would be aware of how the process works.

Cobb had a job to do, but failed. Baker should have been better prepared and handled the situation better once it occurred. They're both responsible.

SideLine Shooter
December 9th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Cobb had a job to do, but failed. Baker should have been better prepared and handled the situation better once it occurred. They're both responsible.

OK.

Skjellyfetti
December 9th, 2010, 09:40 PM
The emails were obtained by the campus newspaper through the Freedom of Information Act.

They were obtained via FOIA request.

The emails were obtained by a Freedom of Information Act request.
xlolx

Ok. I get it. I only clicked the first link with the e-mail, I didn't see the other link.

But, it's Sam Baker's responsibility to bid. It's not Charlie Cobb's. Quit your *****ing.

Skjellyfetti
December 9th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Cobb had a job to do, but failed.

Sorry, but it's not Cobb's job to send out reminders to other teams' athletic departments.

Baldy
December 9th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Since when are private emails part of the Freedom of Information Act? Sam the spin doctor strikes again.
Coulson wrong, again.

There is no such thing as "private emails" when said emails are from a government email account discussing university business.

Since you and jellybelly aren't able to read the article (where it clearly states that the emails were obtained through a FOIA request), have someone read it to you. xnutsx

Baldy
December 9th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Sorry, but it's not Cobb's job to send out reminders to other teams' athletic departments.
Again...I'll type it slowly for you.

It wasn't a "reminder", it was the actual bid packet that Cobb was suppose to email to the GSU athletic department. Yes, Baker should have contacted Cobb to remind him to do his job and send the packet.

Both are incompetent and dropped the ball.

ButlerGSU
December 9th, 2010, 10:03 PM

I don't know if it was Cobbs 'job' to remind us but it is a little, just a little, interesting that he sent it out to everyone except Sam Baker and Georgia Southern. That's an interesting 'oops.' Not to lay blame because I don't and as a fan I'm excited just to be in the playoffs, especially with such a young team and coaching staff. Go Eagles!

Cincy App
December 9th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Both are incompetent and dropped the ball.

Cobb did mess up. However, it is ultimately Baker's responsibility to submit bids for his school. Baker and GSU need to look in the mirror as they are primarily responsible. GSU has regularly played in the playoffs under Baker. If I were GSU's AD, I would followed up knowing that deadlines were approaching. And they surely knew that bids were due soon.

Does this mean that UNH would also host GSU if those teams win this weekend?

Regardless, good luck to the Eagles. Hope they make it to Frisco.

McNeese75
December 9th, 2010, 10:10 PM

xeyebrowx HOLY **** !!!! I guess I need to burn the server tomorrow if emails are subject to the FIA xlolx

Gringer1
December 9th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Cobb did mess up. However, it is ultimately Baker's responsibility to submit bids for his school. Baker and GSU need to look in the mirror as they are primarily responsible. GSU has regularly played in the playoffs under Baker. If I were GSU's AD, I would followed up knowing that deadlines were approaching. And they surely knew that bids were due soon.

Does this mean that UNH would also host GSU if those teams win this weekend?

Regardless, good luck to the Eagles. Hope they make it to Frisco.

I think this is a good place to end things. I think we can all agree that both guys messed up and the NCAA showed no heart.

Skjellyfetti
December 9th, 2010, 10:24 PM
It wasn't a "reminder", it was the actual bid packet that Cobb was suppose to email to the GSU athletic department. Yes, Baker should have contacted Cobb to remind him to do his job and send the packet.

Something like this?

PROPOSED BUDGET/BID PACKET CHECKLIST

Bid materials and supporting documentation must be received at the NCAA national office not
later than Friday, November 12.

A separate budget and key contact form must be submitted for each round you are interested in hosting. You are not required to bid for all rounds of competition; they are listed on this checklist for ease of reference.

Please submit the following items if you are interested in hosting any round:

 Facility Evaluation Form (submitted online only)
 Certificate of Insurance Form (or proof of self-insurance)
 Professional lighting survey (completed within the last 12 months)
 Official document verifying your football facilities power supply.
First Round (November 27)
 Completed Proposed Budget and Financial Report Form (submitted online only)
 Key Contact Form (submitted online)
Second Round (December 4)

Quarterfinal Round (December 10-11)

Semifinal Round (December 17-18)
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/4a7fed00447831d68171b7c8c7999200/2010+Bid+Packet+Checklist2.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=4a7fed00447831d68171b7c8c7999200

It's not exactly classified intel or something. Why did Baker need Cobb to hold his hands through this? Why is it Cobb's job to email something to Baker that is easily googleable (xlolx)?

BlueHenSinfonian
December 9th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I don't know if it was Cobbs 'job' to remind us but it is a little, just a little, interesting that he sent it out to everyone except Sam Baker and Georgia Southern. That's an interesting 'oops.' Not to lay blame because I don't and as a fan I'm excited just to be in the playoffs, especially with such a young team and coaching staff. Go Eagles!

From the article it sounds like GSU already had the info, but the man in charge of acting on it had a family emergency and didn't have time to finish the process for the later games. GSU should have had a better system in place to cover that type of situation, so that they wouldn't have to rely on another AD to send them the info again.

AppChicago
December 9th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Is the issue that no one from gsu was on the earlier email? Or that the guy who was on the email had a family emergency and was out of the loop? Either way, there's no way this ever should have been Cobb's responsibility...

theasushow
December 9th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Call me crazy...but it seems to me that GSU football should have been at the top of every priority list in every GSU athletic office, especially when they realized they had a chance to make the playoffs. You would think there would be 10-15 people all dotting their i's and crossing their t's to make sure all the paperwork is in order to submit a bid. There shouldn't be one person responsible for taking care of such a serious matter, we are talking about the FCS playoffs here and a chance to win the national championship....it's almost like a school like Florida or Texas forgetting to make travel arrangements to a future away game. This shouldn't have come down to a single "oops" email, it should have been a major emphasis at the athletic dept.

Baldy
December 9th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Something like this?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/4a7fed00447831d68171b7c8c7999200/2010+Bid+Packet+Checklist2.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=4a7fed00447831d68171b7c8c7999200

It's not exactly classified intel or something. Why did Baker need Cobb to hold his hands through this? Why is it Cobb's job to email something to Baker that is easily googleable (xlolx)?
What? xlmaox

Nice try, but all you did was google the checklist.
Cobb was late in emailing the actual .doc or .pdf forms inside the bid submission packet. What part of that do you find so difficult to understand?

Looks like both Cobb and Baker aren't very good at dong their jobs and need someone to hold their collective hands. xsmhx

Baldy
December 9th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Is the issue that no one from gsu was on the earlier email? Or that the guy who was on the email had a family emergency and was out of the loop? Either way, there's no way this ever should have been Cobb's responsibility...
Being the SoCon's championship committee representative, Cobb was responsible for getting the bid submission packets to the required conference members in a timely matter. By sending the packet at 2pm the day before the deadline, he failed.

I'm sure Baker was aware of the deadline, and he failed to stay on top of the situation. I have no doubt that if Cobb didn't send the packet, we would have failed to place a bid for any of the playoff games.

seantaylor
December 9th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Amazing the amount of smokescreens Sammy is laying. This is still all his fault. This ain't GSU's first rodeo in the playoffs, so nothing is sneaking up on him or new. The guy is just a complete moron. And lazy mfer.

ThompsonThe
December 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Exactly. GaSo made a bid for the first round game and got it. That was the same package as for the 3d round game. So how could Cobb be responsible for GaSo missing out on the 3d round bid then.
Also, how could you get a Freedom of Information act done so fast. Never heard of it being done in a couple of days. This all sounds bogus.

gsufan
December 10th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Georgia Law requires that all Georgia Open Records Act requests be responded to within three days.

seantaylor
December 10th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Just so we are clear on the excuse today, it was Appy's fault that we bid on the first and second round games, but not the third? Three days ago it was the SID's fault for not bidding. Now, I'm hearing Sammy is blaming it on child labor in the athletic department.

Old Cat Fan
December 10th, 2010, 01:28 AM
All I can say if UNH upsets Delaware tonight, dress warm because Dec in New Hampshire can be a real numbing good time xnodx

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/freezing_cold.jpg

Saint3333
December 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM
BS. GSU knows the process for the playoffs, nice try Sam. I too find it laughable that GSU bid on prior round but not this one.

gsugt1
December 10th, 2010, 07:59 AM
BS. GSU knows the process for the playoffs, nice try Sam. I too find it laughable that GSU bid on prior round but not this one.

It's a timimg thing. If we had the bid package on the 27th like everyone else this mistake wouldn't have happen. Having one day to respond is crazy when others had over two weeks. Then the NCAA realizes it , Charlie Cobb apologizes for it yet we still have to get it done in a day.

gsugt1
December 10th, 2010, 08:03 AM
From the article it sounds like GSU already had the info, but the man in charge of acting on it had a family emergency and didn't have time to finish the process for the later games. GSU should have had a better system in place to cover that type of situation, so that they wouldn't have to rely on another AD to send them the info again.

We got the info on Nov 11th.

gsugt1
December 10th, 2010, 08:11 AM

The process had changed since we were in the playoffs in 2005. Then the packages were sent FedEx for an example.

SouthernMan
December 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM
conversation:

Cobb - Hello App State athletic department
Baker - Hey Chuck its Sammy....I need some help, the natives are restless
C - Sure Sammy whats up (all the while thinking he would do ANYTHING for SAM to keep the inept SOB at GSU)
B - The bid problem that I have, you think you could help me out, people are pissed, none of my excuses are working
C - Sure Sam, how about you just blame it on me we really did not expect you guys in the game and even though it was the most IMPORTANT ITEM OF THE DAY, lets blame it on me sending it to you late....heck who would GSU rather hate between us, the goat or the goat effer?? (Gotcha Sam, its a great idea, please go for it so that they do not get rid of you, your ineptness is the best thing to ever happen to us)
B - Thanks Chuck that would be great. I am really alone on this one.
C - NO PROBLEM (Anything for the one person who has actually done more harm to GSU than App EVER could)

Side Judge
December 10th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Sounds like GSU needs a new AD. I believe Edgar Johnson's available...

SideLine Shooter
December 10th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Sounds like GSU needs a new AD. I believe Edgar Johnson's available...

They should go after Van Goober.

MorgantonAPPAlum
December 10th, 2010, 08:49 AM
conversation:

Cobb - Hello App State athletic department
Baker - Hey Chuck its Sammy....I need some help, the natives are restless
C - Sure Sammy whats up (all the while thinking he would do ANYTHING for SAM to keep the inept SOB at GSU)
B - The bid problem that I have, you think you could help me out, people are pissed, none of my excuses are working
C - Sure Sam, how about you just blame it on me we really did not expect you guys in the game and even though it was the most IMPORTANT ITEM OF THE DAY, lets blame it on me sending it to you late....heck who would GSU rather hate between us, the goat or the goat effer?? (Gotcha Sam, its a great idea, please go for it so that they do not get rid of you, your ineptness is the best thing to ever happen to us)
B - Thanks Chuck that would be great. I am really alone on this one.
C - NO PROBLEM (Anything for the one person who has actually done more harm to GSU than App EVER could)

xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

Saint3333
December 10th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Any GSU fan that blames Cobb for this doesn't realize that Baker is the biggest problem with GSU athletics. So much potential and you guys continue to let that clown run the show.

GSU EAGLES
December 10th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Any GSU fan that blames Cobb for this doesn't realize that Baker is the biggest problem with GSU athletics. So much potential and you guys continue to let that clown run the show.

You are right there......let's see if our new President that seems to be very pro-athletics, unlike the last president, will make the much needed change. We could be much like App in 2004? when you guys got a new President and AD.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 10th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I look forward to hearing more about this next October xthumbsupx

The Other GSU could have simply filled out their playoff forms from the last 4 years and submitted them for the third round on a timely basis ....

xwhistlex

AppIAA
December 10th, 2010, 12:33 PM
What? xlmaox

Nice try, but all you did was google the checklist.
Cobb was late in emailing the actual .doc or .pdf forms inside the bid submission packet. What part of that do you find so difficult to understand?

Looks like both Cobb and Baker aren't very good at dong their jobs and need someone to hold their collective hands. xsmhx

Yes, but from that checklist, Baker could have seen the deadlines were approaching and acted sooner.. this is in no way the fault of Cobb

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 10th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Eagle22 (administrator of the GSU board) made a good point.

I'm trying right now to stay out of these threads ... I really don't want to write what I'm thinking .... but I will say that Charlie Cobb might be one of the few remaining advocates (despite being a conference opponent) that we have in the world of FCS football. I have several reasons for thinking this, but our playoff prospects potentially bouyed ASU more than any other team save ours. I can realistically see a scenario where Charlie Cobb would go to bat to have a 7-4 GSU team included in the playoffs, if not just to limit the number of CAA teams potentially in the field. Keep in mind most of this lobbying would have to occur prior to the last weekend's games being played .. If GSU had ended up 6-5, out of the playoffs, that could have had an impact on ASU's securing either the #1 or #2 seed.

In other words, I wouldn't be so sure Charlie Cobb had alterior motives. The emails are chaff, IMO. Relevant, but chaff.

There's no conspiracy, and I agree with him.

This was caused by a small mistake by Cobb coupled with the fact that GSU's Assistant Athletic Director (who Sam delegated the task to) had a family emergency come up and wasn't able to get the job done. Don't think it really constitutes a big blunder by Sam or Cobb, it's just one that slipped through the cracks.

Let's have a GSU/ASU rematch in Frisco and make all of this a moot point.

Waco Kid
December 10th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I guess you guys shouldn't have beaten us...

I do hate it for the GSU fans no matter who screwed up. Luckily for the Eagles they'll basically have a home game with their fans buying up all the tickets at Wofford.

seantaylor
December 10th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Again, it is all Sammy's fault. Does anyone else find it absolutely hilarious that Sammy's excuse at one point was that "he delegated it to an underling."? Bidding for the playoffs is the most important job of an FCS AD, arguably, outside of securing payoffs from FBS games, which we know how Sammy is at that.

This guy is just bulletproof. He's the only AD in the country that has made at least 6 crucial mistakes/f-ups that have set the program back years, and still some find excuses for him. My theory is he has the Georgia Board of Regents on film with some 12 year old asian kids.

james_lawfirm
December 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Let's have a GSU/ASU rematch in Frisco and make all of this a moot point.

YEAH! I'll go for that. Just take care of business at Wofford tomorrow & we'll do likewise.

EagleTrump
December 12th, 2010, 01:24 PM
YEAH! I'll go for that. Just take care of business at Wofford tomorrow & we'll do likewise.

Well that didn't work out... (and yes I wanted it to...)

In this situation, Cobb is like that guy who is doing you a favor and really doesn't have to. Sammy is being too relient (or just plain ignorant) on Cobb to help him out. Yeah, maybe Cobb was supposed to send the packet to Baker, but Baker should have his ducks in a row. There is no excuse for missing such a huge part of that process. As soon as I realized that we had a shot into the playoffs I would have been putting that stuff together and if I didn't have it, I would be asking someone in the NCAA where it was. Even though we could only really have 2 of our games be home, the first we did get, and given our home record against Woffy it's probably best that we didn't play them in the boro. And unfortunately our Dummy of an AD will probably spin that to his favor...And while Cobb certainly didn't help in the matter, Baker can only hold Baker accountable. Soooo...please President Keel, fire Sam Baker...

blukeys
December 12th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Give Baker a break. So he made a mistake. It's not like he has been there for years and has gone thru multiple football coaches.xeyebrowxxeyebrowx

Don't forget all of the athletic success for GSU outside of football. Quit trying to make it look as if Baker is some kind of Van Goober. xxpicx

EagleTrump
December 12th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I agree with you blukeys. I think we should give Baker a break. A break from income and responsibility to our institution.

Rekdiver
December 12th, 2010, 09:16 PM
It's understandable that The Stink would not know about this since its been so long since they've been here.....

Having said that I wish you luck with the Hens.....

elon77
December 13th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Whew, I'm just glad all this wasn't blamed on Elon.

EagleTrump
December 13th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Whew, I'm just glad all this wasn't blamed on Elon.

No and I don't think it should be blamed on App either. Baker has a tendency to neglect his duties and then blame someone else. Look at the situation our basketball team is in. Underhanded things were going on with some of the coaching staff, a parent tried to point it out to Baker, he ignored him, said parent went to NCAA. Baker blamed Price for what happened even though he had or should have had full knowledge. Price is no longer with us (I can't remember if he was fired or forces to resign). This is just one link in the chain of irresponsibility and unnaccountability by Sam Baker. We are now suffering NCAA sanctions on our basketball team. None of the students like him and none of the fans like him. If you don't know what he looks like, come to a GSU athletic event. He's the weasle looking guy that nobody wants to talk to.