PDA

View Full Version : Trouble In Harrisonburg

superman7515
December 9th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I meant Harrisonburg... Why do I always type Williamsburg? Sorry about that...

Four JMU Football Players Arrested (http://www.dnronline.com/news_details.php?AID=52905&CHID=64)

Peter Rose originally committed to Virginia Tech while at Amherst County High School. But he was arrested in May 2008 and convicted of two felony counts of selling drugs within 1,000 feet of a school and two misdemeanor charges of selling marijuana. In April 2009 a judge set aside the two felony convictions, but not before Virginia Tech withdrew its scholarship offer to the speedy, athletic Rose.

Matthews went to JMU president Linwood Rose - no relation - and Bourne to lobby for Peter Rose to be admitted to the school.

In an interview with the Daily News-Record in September, Peter Rose expressed his gratitude to Matthews.

"I love Coach Matthews, absolutely love him," Rose said at the time. "Not like. Love. Coach Matthews, man, he sat me down and told me he would give me a second chance. You can't screw a guy over that gives you a second chance after a situation like mine. I think about that all the time."

mcveyrl
December 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I meant Harrisonburg... Why do I always type Williamsburg? Sorry about that...

Four JMU Football Players Arrested (http://www.dnronline.com/news_details.php?AID=52905&CHID=64)

Pretty sure you mean Harrisonburg. But yea, this is not good.

superman7515
December 9th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I think we should all just agree to never allow anyone with the name Pete Rose on our favorite sports teams, pro or amateur.

Anovafan
December 9th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hmm, Nov. 15th, did these boys play the rest of the season?

Gordon Shumway
December 9th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Felony arrests never turn out good. Looks like JMU might not have the market cornered on players named Rose much longer.

HappyAppy13
December 9th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hmm, Nov. 15th, did these boys play the rest of the season?

http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2010/teamcume.htm

superman7515
December 9th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hmmm... Jon Rose played in all 11 games. Pete Rose played in 10. Anthony was a redshirt, so no matter there.

heath
December 9th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Saw the Rose brothers dominate the seminole district and win or compete for state titles over the last 5 years.When kids in high school are treated like young gods and catered to,even the so-called nicest kids will sruggle when they become just another player on a college team. Probably made the mistake of attending the SAME school.

ur2k
December 9th, 2010, 07:48 PM
The same guy that Mickey stuck his neck out for

http://www2.newsadvance.com/sports/2010/sep/09/peter-rose-gets-second-chance-brothers-jmu-ar-496145/

kdinva
December 9th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I believe you can edit your original post, to make corrections, etc.

jmufan999
December 9th, 2010, 09:26 PM
not. good.

Seawolf97
December 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM
These stories will never end at any school. The good news is there are thousands of kids playing college sports that never cross the line-these are only four. Has to be tough on JMU fans and coaches.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 9th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Questionable call by the coach to go after a kid arrested for selling drugs in the first place. Simple possession I could see being willing to look over, but if he'd already gone as far as trafficking, Matthews had to know there was a risk bringing him in.

Anovafan
December 9th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I am rather disappointed JMU let these guys play after the arrests. Nova has had a few incidents over the years and have kicked kids off the team for far less than this.

jmufan
December 9th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I am rather disappointed JMU let these guys play after the arrests. Nova has had a few incidents over the years and have kicked kids off the team for far less than this.

Who says that JMU knew? They weren't arrested until December. Very easy to keep something secret until they are officially arrested.

Wildcat80
December 10th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Three strikes......

Tribe4SF
December 10th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Who says that JMU knew? They weren't arrested until December. Very easy to keep something secret until they are officially arrested.

Got to suspect they didn't tell the coaches about this incident. That could be a violation of team rules by itself. Most coaches are clear that they are to be informed of any incident of trouble immediately.