PDA

View Full Version : NCAA: African-Americans gain first majority in Division I football

TexasTerror
December 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM
FYI... thought this would be of some interest....

For the first time since the NCAA began tracking student-athlete ethnicity data 11 years ago, African-Americans compose the highest percentage of the players in Division I football.

According to the 2009-10 NCAA Student-Athlete Race and Ethnicity Report, 45.8 percent of student-athletes in Division I football (including the Football Bowl Subdivision and the Football Championship Subdivision) were African-American, followed closely by white football players at 45.1 percent.

African-Americans had composed the highest percentage of football student-athletes in the Football Bowl Subdivision the two previous years, but it is the first time that they have been the dominant demographic in all of Division I football.

The percentages represent a significant jump from the first report in 1999-2000 when African-Americans composed 39.5 percent of the football players in Division I (40.3 percent in what then was known as Division I-A).

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2010+news+stories/december/african+americans+gain+first+majority+in+division+ i+football

MplsBison
December 8th, 2010, 02:51 PM

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2010+news+stories/december/african+americans+gain+first+majority+in+division+ i+football

I think NDSU hovering somewhere around 15-20% black players. Definately one of the "BYUs of FCS".

Sec310
December 8th, 2010, 03:59 PM
But there is still a huge lack of African-American head coaches, DC and OC's. When will that ever change?

UNHFan
December 8th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Where is D1 Hockey Stats??

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 8th, 2010, 04:19 PM
So African-Americans are overrepresented as DI football players when compared to their overall population, that's probably a violation of some Title IX provision.

TypicalTribe
December 8th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I believe the equality of outcomes concept could be argued, although that usually is invoked with regards to testing standards.

Panther88
December 8th, 2010, 05:06 PM
So African-Americans are overrepresented as DI football players when compared to their overall population, that's probably a violation of some Title IX provision.

While only 10-11% of the total USofA popolous. Sure, there's absolutey nothing wrong looking @ 110,000 screaming white folx yelling @ 18-20 black kids on the gridiron @ one time. :) Would you not agree?

Look the bowl games over and tell us what you see. Just... amazing. ::insert retarded smiley here:: Talk about exploitation. *SMH*

bonarae
December 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I think NDSU hovering somewhere around 15-20% black players. Definately one of the "BYUs of FCS".

The Ivies are at around 20%-40% depending on the school. Also remember, Fritz Pollard, one of the first African-Americans in the NFL, got his start at Brown.

But there is still a huge lack of African-American head coaches, DC and OC's. When will that ever change?

Sad fact. xsmhx

I believe the equality of outcomes concept could be argued, although that usually is invoked with regards to testing standards.

xchinscratchx

JSU02
December 8th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Wouldn't that be a plurality, and not a majority?

heath
December 8th, 2010, 06:38 PM

when you look at % of population,are they lacking. Minorities are that by defenition,but like a wife going thru a divorce want at least half,IS that FAIR?

Panther88
December 8th, 2010, 09:01 PM
There won't be too many responses to this thread TT. lol Esp by folx in the good olddddddddd "dirty-south." :)

parr90
December 8th, 2010, 09:14 PM

Does it have to change just because of the statement you just made. Maybe the fact of the matter is that there are just many more white coaches coaching at the college and pro level and teams hire the best person they think for the jobs. The fact that there are many more whites in coaching at those levels means that the chances of a white coach being hired are greater. This idea that there needs to be more black coaches because there isnt enough is rediculous to me. People shouldnt be getting hired just because of color, and I know there are many who probably think that many white coaches are hired over black coaches because they are white. I just dont believe that. It may happen and have happend at some point and time but it is not by any way close to a majority of how hires are made.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 8th, 2010, 11:17 PM

Almost all coaches are former players. As more African-American players graduate, there will be a greater potential pool for them to go into coaching, and you will eventually see more African-American coaches. As far as the figures go, I wonder how the changing definitions for Hispanic play into it. At one point Hispanic was considered a separate race from Caucasian, African-American, Asian, etc, but now you can be both Hispanic and white, or Hispanic and black, without being 'mixed-race', it's all very confusing.

It would also be interesting to see the ethnic breakdown of players by position. Off the top of my head, while there are certainly exceptions, most of the star QBs and Kicker/Punters I can think of are white, while most of the star RBs and WRs are black. I wonder if players from certain positions are more likely to go into coaching than others, and if that perhaps affects the numbers.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Almost all coaches are former players. As more African-American players graduate, there will be a greater potential pool for them to go into coaching, and you will eventually see more African-American coaches. As far as the figures go, I wonder how the changing definitions for Hispanic play into it. At one point Hispanic was considered a separate race from Caucasian, African-American, Asian, etc, but now you can be both Hispanic and white, or Hispanic and black, without being 'mixed-race', it's all very confusing.

It would also be interesting to see the ethnic breakdown of players by position. Off the top of my head, while there are certainly exceptions, most of the star QBs and Kicker/Punters I can think of are white, while most of the star RBs and WRs are black. I wonder if players from certain positions are more likely to go into coaching than others, and if that perhaps affects the numbers.

derk derk, not at you bluehen, but at anyone else who didnt realize this before you posted it.

I was about to say the same thing in a different way. You beat me too it. Kudos.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2010, 11:30 PM
This is how it starts.....I was watching disney channel the other day in a drunken stooper and saw a comercial about a girl who is a kicker. Looked like she was pounding some in from quite ways back.

It wont be long.

Give it 60 years, 90% of the NFL kickers will be women.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 8th, 2010, 11:42 PM
This is how it starts.....I was watching disney channel the other day in a drunken stooper and saw a comercial about a girl who is a kicker. Looked like she was pounding some in from quite ways back.

It wont be long.

Give it 60 years, 90% of the NFL kickers will be women.

I have no problem with female kickers. If nothing else, it will make title IX compliance easier.

Twentysix
December 9th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I have no problem with female kickers. If nothing else, it will make title IX compliance easier.

Cant wait for female OL

art vandelay
December 9th, 2010, 07:54 AM

#1 a greater percentage of black football players go into the NFL therefore don't typically go through the ranks of GA and such to become college coaches because they are playing in the NFL.
#2 just because there are more at the D1 level that does not speak for all of college football. many coaches at the D1 level played D3 or D2 football but are great football coaches.
#3 Oregon just passed a law that makes it so you have to interview minorities for any coaching position so this means college institutions actually have to seek out minorities to apply for jobs meaning they simply don't want to be in coaching positions.

GaSouthern
December 9th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Cant wait for female OL

Bertha is coming for you!

UAalum72
December 9th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Responses here remind me so much of Dodger's GM Al Campanis only 23 years ago

On April 6, 1987, "Nightline" devoted its half hour to the 40th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's major league debut. Who better to discuss the topic than L.A. Dodger VP and GM Al Campanis, who'd been part of the Dodger organization since 1943 and Robinson's teammate on the Montreal Royals in 1946?

In retrospect, the real question should have been, who worse? This is how part of the exchange went between "Nightline" host Ted Koppel and Campanis:
KOPPEL: Mr. Campanis ... you're an old friend of Jackie Robinson's, but it's a tough question for you. You're still in baseball. Why is it that there are no black managers, no black general managers, no black owners?
CAMPANIS: Well, Mr. Koppel, there have been some black managers, but I really can't answer that question directly. The only thing I can say is that you have to pay your dues when you become a manager. Generally, you have to go to the minor leagues. There's not very much pay involved, and some of the better known black players have been able to get into other fields and make a pretty good living in that way.
KOPPEL: Yeah, but you know in your heart of hearts ... you know that that's a lot of baloney. I mean, there are a lot of black players, there are a lot of great black baseball men who would dearly love to be in managerial positions, and I guess what I'm really asking you is to, you know, peel it away a little bit. Just tell me, why you think it is. Is there still that much prejudice in baseball today?
CAMPANIS: No, I don't believe it's prejudice. I truly believe that they may not have some of the necessities to be, let's say, a field manager, or perhaps a general manager.
KOPPEL: Do you really believe that?
CAMPANIS: Well, I don't say that all of them, but they certainly are short. How many quarterbacks do you have? How many pitchers do you have that are black?

Two days later, the Dodgers fired Campanis.

I wish there was Youtube of this interview, because I saw it live and it was painful to watch. And Campanis and the Dodgers had been leaders in increasing the number of minority players.

Within six years a black manager had won the world series.

charliej
December 9th, 2010, 08:52 AM

We had a female kicker on the team during my youngest sons senior year in HS. Also saw a few females wrestling that year as well,some of them were quite good too.

darell1976
December 9th, 2010, 09:10 AM

I would like to know what the number is at NDSU as well as UND. Since we live in a state where black people aren't very numerous around here. I think we have more native americans than african americans..especially in the little "farm" towns.

Terrierforlife
December 9th, 2010, 09:18 AM

On April 6, 1987, "Nightline" devoted its half hour to the 40th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's major league debut. Who better to discuss the topic than L.A. Dodger VP and GM Al Campanis, who'd been part of the Dodger organization since 1943 and Robinson's teammate on the Montreal Royals in 1946?

In retrospect, the real question should have been, who worse? This is how part of the exchange went between "Nightline" host Ted Koppel and Campanis:
KOPPEL: Mr. Campanis ... you're an old friend of Jackie Robinson's, but it's a tough question for you. You're still in baseball. Why is it that there are no black managers, no black general managers, no black owners?
CAMPANIS: Well, Mr. Koppel, there have been some black managers, but I really can't answer that question directly. The only thing I can say is that you have to pay your dues when you become a manager. Generally, you have to go to the minor leagues. There's not very much pay involved, and some of the better known black players have been able to get into other fields and make a pretty good living in that way.
KOPPEL: Yeah, but you know in your heart of hearts ... you know that that's a lot of baloney. I mean, there are a lot of black players, there are a lot of great black baseball men who would dearly love to be in managerial positions, and I guess what I'm really asking you is to, you know, peel it away a little bit. Just tell me, why you think it is. Is there still that much prejudice in baseball today?
CAMPANIS: No, I don't believe it's prejudice. I truly believe that they may not have some of the necessities to be, let's say, a field manager, or perhaps a general manager.
CAMPANIS: Well, I don't say that all of them, but they certainly are short. How many quarterbacks do you have? How many pitchers do you have that are black?

I wish there was Youtube of this interview, because I saw it live and it was painful to watch. And Campanis and the Dodgers had been leaders in increasing the number of minority players.

Awesome post!

WileECoyote06
December 9th, 2010, 09:37 AM

Great post. I wish this was on youtube as well. Good ole Cito Gaston. For that accomplishment, I briefly became a Toronto Blue Jays fan.

WileECoyote06
December 9th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Does it have to change just because of the statement you just made. Maybe the fact of the matter is that there are just many more white coaches coaching at the college and pro level and teams hire the best person they think for the jobs. The fact that there are many more whites in coaching at those levels means that the chances of a white coach being hired are greater. This idea that there needs to be more black coaches because there isnt enough is rediculous to me. People shouldnt be getting hired just because of color, and I know there are many who probably think that many white coaches are hired over black coaches because they are white. I just dont believe that. It may happen and have happend at some point and time but it is not by any way close to a majority of how hires are made.

Blacks just aren't going to be given a shot at some universities (especially in the south); due to the good ole boy network or other factors. There are plenty of eligible candidates. And it's bad in FBS, and even worse in FCS (and the lower divisions). Besides the HBCU conferences, I'm only aware of one black head coach; (big shout out to Latrell Scott); and I've read there are seven overall.

I bring this up as we search for a new coach. It would be great to hire a minority coordinator from one of the playoff-successful conferences; but the pickings are slim.

Sidebar: I don't care who gets the job as long as they are the best qualified candidate. I'm just pointing out the lack of diversity in coaching hires. And it's not just blacks; Clifford Yoshida and Norm Chow should have been sought out to run a program.

Panther88
December 9th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I wonder how universities, FBS and FCS alike :), would fare if a lot of kids of color developed the RIGHT attitude, and not the WHITE attitude ;), I had when I was a somewhat recruited blue-chip senior leaving HS? I literally, and I mean VERBALLY LITERALLY :) lol, told a lot of FBS and a few FCS school recruiters to kiss my a$$ xlolx and "let some other IDIOT run your ball...." while I accepted an academic scholarship. xlolx I've been following this "game" away from the game for a while now and it's quite sickening. But, it's not my job to disallow an idiot to be an eye-dee-ten-tee. :)

I'd think most universities athletic programs would crumble back to the nothingness they once were if quite a few kids of color told them to step. What a WONDERFUL country this would then be. xlolx ::insert handclapping smiley here::

BTW, if you're going to use them, seems like one should @ least make a realistic attempt to graduate them. The dumb ncaa and it's now evident "apr" is a slap in the face. The apr process should've been implemented in 1970, @ the latest, IMO.

Panther88
December 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM
The "non-qualified" excuse is very old and has nil foundation for a valid reason WHY hirings of minorities @ specific levels aren't occurring. Too bad a parent or parents aren't as mentally astute as Mr Kellen Winslow, who made certain demands known PUBLICLY and via the media as to where his own seed would attend and WHY he chose the "U" over every other university that was recruiting his seed. Like he, I did likewise w/ my former blue-chipper. :-)

So, today we have uncaring and uninformed guardian(s-ship)/parent(s) who relegate their children to these athletic whoremongers lol that use them for their athletic prowess and offer them nothing ELSE in return outside of an opportunity to succeed academically while the student-athlete brings in millions of $$$$ to that respective university. My stance isn't popular among the majority, I'm sure, but it's certainly the truth.

Franks Tanks
December 9th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I wonder how universities, FBS and FCS alike :), would fare if a lot of kids of color developed the RIGHT attitude, and not the WHITE attitude ;), I had when I was a somewhat recruited blue-chip senior leaving HS? I literally, and I mean VERBALLY LITERALLY :) lol, told a lot of FBS and a few FCS school recruiters to kiss my a$$ xlolx and "let some other IDIOT run your ball...." while I accepted an academic scholarship. xlolx I've been following this "game" away from the game for a while now and it's quite sickening. But, it's not my job to disallow an idiot to be an eye-dee-ten-tee. :)

I'd think most universities athletic programs would crumble back to the nothingness they once were if quite a few kids of color told them to step. What a WONDERFUL country this would then be. xlolx ::insert handclapping smiley here::

BTW, if you're going to use them, seems like one should @ least make a realistic attempt to graduate them. The dumb ncaa and it's now evident "apr" is a slap in the face. The apr process should've been implemented in 1970, @ the latest, IMO.

African-American athletes aren't being used any more than white, asian, or hispanic athletes are being used. It is the player's responsibility to graduate, the responsibility of the school is to recruit athletes who are capable of graduating.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 9th, 2010, 02:54 PM
So, today we have uncaring and uninformed guardian(s-ship)/parent(s) who relegate their children to these athletic whoremongers lol that use them for their athletic prowess and offer them nothing ELSE in return outside of an opportunity to succeed academically while the student-athlete brings in millions of $$$$ to that respective university. My stance isn't popular among the majority, I'm sure, but it's certainly the truth.

I'm a bit confused by this statement. Are you implying that the schools should be paying or otherwise compensating the student athletes? That goes against the entire concept of college athletics. The student athletes are given given the opportunity to get an education that they otherwise might have missed out on and in return they help elevate the profile of the school through their play, what's wrong with that?

Panther88
December 9th, 2010, 03:17 PM
African-American athletes aren't being used any more than white, asian, or hispanic athletes are being used. It is the player's responsibility to graduate, the responsibility of the school is to recruit athletes who are capable of graduating.

I don't disagree w/ that statement and I certainly agree that it's personal responsibility. But, for myself and even my youngers, I (& they) see the bigger picture. And only speaking for self, I didn't want to be used any more than anyone else. That's why a former all-state fball player told quite a few schools to choke and die, as a 17 y/o. :D It still gives me a warm feeling all over to recall that day in Feb. :)

Panther88
December 9th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I'm a bit confused by this statement. Are you implying that the schools should be paying or otherwise compensating the student athletes? That goes against the entire concept of college athletics. The student athletes are given given the opportunity to get an education that they otherwise might have missed out on and in return they help elevate the profile of the school through their play, what's wrong with that?

What type of impact has the Cameron Newton made @ Auburn? Financial only. For his... paultry "free" ride academically. lol

BlueHenSinfonian
December 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM
What type of impact has the Cameron Newton made @ Auburn? Financial only. For his... paultry "free" ride academically. lol

I don't know if you want to use Cam Newton as an example for how players should be recruited. He has certainly helped Auburn a great deal this year on the field, but I think Auburn might have thought twice about recruiting him if they would have known about the storm of controversy that has come with it.

Cam Newton is almost certainly NFL bound, but if he fizzles out or suffers a career ending injury, he will have his degree from Auburn to fall back on, Auburn doesn't owe him anything more.

It isn't just in athletics that schools receive benefits for the successes of their students. In most academic and scientific fields breakthroughs in thought or resarch benefit the university as much as the scientist or scholar responsible. The university supplies the time, funding, and other infrastructure concerns needed and in return gets to share in the rewards. It's no different for a student athlete who is provided an education, facilities, coaching staff who develop his talents, and exposure so that when his time at the school is done he can strike it out on his own.

Franks Tanks
December 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I don't know if you want to use Cam Newton as an example for how players should be recruited. He has certainly helped Auburn a great deal this year on the field, but I think Auburn might have thought twice about recruiting him if they would have known about the storm of controversy that has come with it.

Cam Newton is almost certainly NFL bound, but if he fizzles out or suffers a career ending injury, he will have his degree from Auburn to fall back on, Auburn doesn't owe him anything more.It isn't just in athletics that schools receive benefits for the successes of their students. In most academic and scientific fields breakthroughs in thought or resarch benefit the university as much as the scientist or scholar responsible. The university supplies the time, funding, and other infrastructure concerns needed and in return gets to share in the rewards. It's no different for a student athlete who is provided an education, facilities, coaching staff who develop his talents, and exposure so that when his time at the school is done he can strike it out on his own.

No way that kid graduates from Auburn. He can leave for the NFL after this year and will.

Student-Athletes know what they are getting into when they decide to play college athletics. I understand professional opportunities are limited for 18 year old athletes, but if they don't like what the NCAA offers they don't have to participate.

parr90
December 9th, 2010, 04:49 PM

You got me interested.......what is the White attitude?

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I am actually more surprised that there are 9% that aren't black or white (I figured black and white would equal out to be about 98%).

I assume the rest would be comprised mainly of Pacific-Islanders, Mexican-Americans and Native Americans.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2010, 05:29 PM
45.8 Black/African American
45.1 White/Non Hispanic
02.9 Other
02.4 Hispanic/Latino
01.3 Two Races or More
01.0 Asian
00.9 Native Hawiian/Pacific Islander
00.4 American Indian/Alaska Native

MountaineerMania54
December 9th, 2010, 05:45 PM

A lot of negative publicity to boot. Are you trying to say that black player's are used for their athletic prowess? If thats the case, what should be done to make sure athletes are receiving the education that they are getting for free? If more stringent academic standards were required, then cries of racism would be heard all across the land. Many of today's athletes would not be getting a college education if it was not for there sport. They should be thankful a system exists that allows them to showcase their athletic abilities, and also get the chance to get a college education.

heath
December 9th, 2010, 06:55 PM
A lot of negative publicity to boot. Are you trying to say that black player's are used for their athletic prowess? If thats the case, what should be done to make sure athletes are receiving the education that they are getting for free? If more stringent academic standards were required, then cries of racism would be heard all across the land. Many of today's athletes would not be getting a college education if it was not for there sport. They should be thankful a system exists that allows them to showcase their athletic abilities, and also get the chance to get a college education.

I think when you said CHANCE you got it right.When you talk FBS and top teams,most black kids with talent have their eyes on the prize-NFL. A degree for most is not in the plans,unless by year 3 they see the writing on the wall. Hopefully,their grades and credit hours are still in place to earn a degree.I wish NCAA basketball would take the same course as football and not allow kids to use a school and leave after 1 year. They all want to showcase their talent and abilities,but at who's expense?

MountaineerMania54
December 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I think when you said CHANCE you got it right.When you talk FBS and top teams,most black kids with talent have their eyes on the prize-NFL. A degree for most is not in the plans,unless by year 3 they see the writing on the wall. Hopefully,their grades and credit hours are still in place to earn a degree.I wish NCAA basketball would take the same course as football and not allow kids to use a school and leave after 1 year. They all want to showcase their talent and abilities,but at who's expense?

I agree with that statement. In basketball, many times its the player using the university as a merely a spring board to the NBA. Student athletes basically have the key to success with their future. Players like Christian Ponder who make the most of their careers are absolute admirable. He will graduate with an MBA from Florida State. Several of App's players have taken advantage of their access to education and received degrees (debt free) that many other students would love to have. I just wish more athletes overall would take advantage of what's being given to them.

Panther88
December 9th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Are you trying to say that black player's are used for their athletic prowess? (primarily)

Basically. :) At May '09 grad, my son topped out @ 6'5" 242lbs of 425lbs of triple-sport (fball, bball, and track/field) bench pressing machine w/ a 4.62 40 yd time when leaving HS. I'm sure funky ohio st, unc, bc, univ of md, univ of fla, fla st, et al wanted him there JUST because he was ranked #37 academically w/ a then final gpa of 3.4 something of a graduating class of 282 kids from a pretty decent private school in NC, i.e. strictly academics. xlolx

I have swamp land in Canada to sell ya'. Watch the "bowl" fest that's coming up and LOOK w/ your EYES. Don't even visit the #s (ratio of minorities on campus VS total makeup of minority count on campus). Just look @ the crazed "fans" and who the major players are. I guess Kellen Winslow and I are stuck on a special kind of stupid.

Panther88
December 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM
You got me interested.......what is the White attitude?

Right vs White. What's the diff? :)

heath
December 9th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Basically. :) At May '09 grad, my son topped out @ 6'5" 242lbs of 425lbs of triple-sport (fball, bball, and track/field) bench pressing machine w/ a 4.62 40 yd time when leaving HS. I'm sure funky ohio st, unc, bc, univ of md, univ of fla, fla st, et al wanted him there JUST because he was ranked #37 academically w/ a then final gpa of 3.4 something of a graduating class of 282 kids from a pretty decent private school in NC, i.e. strictly academics. xlolx

I have swamp land in Canada to sell ya'. Watch the "bowl" fest that's coming up and LOOK w/ your EYES. Don't even visit the #s (ratio of minorities on campus VS total makeup of minority count on campus). Just look @ the crazed "fans" and who the major players are. I guess Kellen Winslow and I are stuck on a special kind of stupid.

Panther has an attitude,showing his true colors.Hope your son graduates and does extremely well in the future so he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder later in lifexprayx

BlueHenSinfonian
December 9th, 2010, 07:36 PM

So your son is solid academically and athletically, what's the issue of him being recruited by schools like UF, UNC, BC, Miami, MD, etc, that are strong in both areas? Ranking 37th out of a class of 282 with a 3.4 GPA is good enough to be accepted into most top tier schools, but it isn't going to get anyone a full boat ride for academics to any of them. If a great school wants to give him the opportunity of a debt free education as long as he plays football for them, what's the problem with that? Are you saying you'd rather see him go somewhere like Southern, Grambling, or FAMU which doesn't have nearly the same academic or athletic reputation just to prove some (not clearly defined) point about racial balance?

MountaineerMania54
December 9th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Using someone would require that these black athletes are not receiving anything in return. If they are not taking advantages of the opportunities given to them, then thats their prerogative. Ask Myron Rolle, if FSU used him for his athletic ability only. Ask Armanti Edwards if App only used him for athletic ability. Athletes that are claiming they are being used are the same ones who are not taking advantage of the opportunities given to them. As I mentioned earlier, many athletes don't have the grades to normally get into some of the top-tier universities. Why would they complain about the chance to get a degree they could not normally receive?

WestCoastAggie
December 9th, 2010, 08:04 PM
What many fail to realize is that there is a considerable number of A-A student athletes that are, rather unfortunately, unprepared for the rigors of collegiate classroom. Some of these students can not even read at a High School level. When they step into the classroom they are already behind. Add to that the fact that college football sucks up most of their time, the allure of being the man on campus with the ladies, Agents & Booster beamin their heads up and a beavy of other reasons, they simply fall through the cracks when their eligiblity is up.

For example, remember the OTL Segment regarding Florida St and their cheating scandal? that's just one of many instances. Heck, many "star" athletes simply have their tests taken for them and papers written by tutors.

But this is really no easy fix but it needs to be addressed. The APR is a good start but there still needs to be better oversight of collegiate athletes and how their academics are handled.

BTW: As addressed by Kevin Dunnavant in his book, The 50 Year Seduction, in the 70's the NCAA lowered the min. admission standards for High School Srs, thus allowing for the climate we have today.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 9th, 2010, 08:13 PM
What many fail to realize is that there is a considerable number of A-A student athletes that are, rather unfortunately, unprepared for the rigors of collegiate classroom. Some of these students can not even read at a High School level. When they step into the classroom they are already behind. Add to that the fact that college football sucks up most of their time, the allure of being the man on campus with the ladies, Agents & Booster beamin their heads up and a beavy of other reasons, they simply fall through the cracks when their eligiblity is up.

For example, remember the OTL Segment regarding Florida St and their cheating scandal? that's just one of many instances. Heck, many "star" athletes simply have their tests taken for them and papers written by tutors.

But this is really no easy fix but it needs to be addressed. The APR is a good start but there still needs to be better oversight of collegiate athletes and how their academics are handled.

I'd say overall the FCS doesn't have a 'football factory' problem like the FBS world does, but it probably exists to a degree. The NCAA should address it as a serious problem, and hurt these schools where it counts - in their pocketbooks. Proven academic malfeasance, whether it be putting students on the field who are in the process of failing out of school, or having others do their work for them, should be punished at the school level with bowl ineligibility for FBS teams, and playoff ineligibility for FCS teams.

If Alabama were told they couldn't play in the Capitol One, or any other bowl this year, due to allowing their student athletes to have others take their tests for them, you could guarantee it wouldn't be a problem the next year.

WestCoastAggie
December 9th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I'd say overall the FCS doesn't have a 'football factory' problem like the FBS world does, but it probably exists to a degree. The NCAA should address it as a serious problem, and hurt these schools where it counts - in their pocketbooks. Proven academic malfeasance, whether it be putting students on the field who are in the process of failing out of school, or having others do their work for them, should be punished at the school level with bowl ineligibility for FBS teams, and playoff ineligibility for FCS teams.

If Alabama were told they couldn't play in the Capitol One, or any other bowl this year, due to allowing their student athletes to have others take their tests for them, you could guarantee it wouldn't be a problem the next year.

It's not as simple as that but I really wish it was. Improvents need to come from all across the board and preventing Ala. from a single bowl appearance this season isn't strong enough to really merit Ala to change their ways. And we also can't forget about the Regents Case] and the results of that TV money really infulences big school decisions with athletics. But the students coming into college need to improve as well.

A-A students still need improvements in grade schools to better prepare them for college. this way, they can take advantage of the opportunity of a "free" education. But that is a definite thread for another day.

Panther88
December 9th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Panther has an attitude,showing his true colors.Hope your son graduates and does extremely well in the future so he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder later in lifexprayx

A severe attitude that augments success, like I've passed on to the young ones. He'll graduate and do well. He's guaranteed to do so, like I.

I've started a trend that I hope is passed on through my younger generations. I cannot explain the feeling of elation watching the look of total dismay as I turned down athl schollie after athl schollie after athl schollie to some of Tx and Ok's alleged "fball factories." lol The alums of those schools @ my old HS w/ those looks of elation on their faces turning a deep violet, more like violent lol, red were just totally priceless. xlolx I enjoyed every single second of it.

At any rate, I see the game. Others see the game. Too bad most parents and children of color don't see the game.

Panther88
December 9th, 2010, 09:16 PM
So your son is solid academically and athletically, what's the issue of him being recruited by schools like UF, UNC, BC, Miami, MD, etc, that are strong in both areas? Ranking 37th out of a class of 282 with a 3.4 GPA is good enough to be accepted into most top tier schools, but it isn't going to get anyone a full boat ride for academics to any of them. If a great school wants to give him the opportunity of a debt free education as long as he plays football for them, what's the problem with that? Are you saying you'd rather see him go somewhere like Southern, Grambling, or FAMU which doesn't have nearly the same academic or athletic reputation just to prove some (not clearly defined) point about racial balance?

What's so "greater" about those FBS schools you refer to? They aren't that "great" IMO. That's why I chose not to attend any BCS buster back in the early 80s.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 9th, 2010, 09:32 PM
What's so "greater" about those FBS schools you refer to? They aren't that "great" IMO. That's why I chose not to attend any BCS buster back in the early 80s.

I'm not saying that FBS schools are necessarily better, obviously top level FCS programs have a lot to offer as well, and school like William and Mary, Delaware, or even UNI (which is apparently the 15th best regional midwest university according to USNews, which I guess isn't bad) have a lot to offer too. I really don't know what point you were trying to make earlier, which makes it a bit harder to respond to your argument. What school did you recommend for your son, and what makes it better than the traditional BCS or FCS choices?

Panther88
December 9th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I'm not saying that FBS schools are necessarily better, obviously top level FCS programs have a lot to offer as well, and school like William and Mary, Delaware, or even UNI (which is apparently the 15th best regional midwest university according to USNews, which I guess isn't bad) have a lot to offer too. I really don't know what point you were trying to make earlier, which makes it a bit harder to respond to your argument. What school did you recommend for your son, and what makes it better than the traditional BCS or FCS choices?

Air Force Academy. :) Redshirt-frosh. 2yr post grad commit. Following his grandfather's footsteps, obviously, outside of the sports participation.

Franks Tanks
December 9th, 2010, 10:29 PM
A severe attitude that augments success, like I've passed on to the young ones. He'll graduate and do well. He's guaranteed to do so, like I.

I've started a trend that I hope is passed on through my younger generations. I cannot explain the feeling of elation watching the look of total dismay as I turned down athl schollie after athl schollie after athl schollie to some of Tx and Ok's alleged "fball factories." lol The alums of those schools @ my old HS w/ those looks of elation on their faces turning a deep violet, more like violent lol, red were just totally priceless. xlolx I enjoyed every single second of it.

At any rate, I see the game. Others see the game. Too bad most parents and children of color don't see the game.

Nobody cares that you turned down a football scholarship. If you don't want to play college football it is no heroic act to decline a scholarship. There were a dozen other guys that were more than happy to accept that scholarship and nobody cares or remembers.

Also what the hell is your point anyway? Is it that colleges use african-american athletes?

Panther88
December 9th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Nobody cares that you turned down a football scholarship. If you don't want to play college football it is no heroic act to decline a scholarship. There were a dozen other guys that were more than happy to accept that scholarship and nobody cares or remembers.

Also what the hell is your point anyway? Is it that colleges use african-american athletes?

Like I begin to start caring about a bunch of internet "geeks" opinions regarding the matters. xlolx

Enjoy your "bowl season," mafree'. :)

Sec310
December 10th, 2010, 12:26 AM
All these BS excuses about why blacks aren't head coaches, fail to answer the question, when blacks graduate, become coaches, but get stuck at being RB, DB, or WR coach, but never get moved up to OC or DC or never get a shot at being a head coach. Why?

Karl Dorrell, got one shot at UCLA, he was terrible. But the current UCLA coach isn't doing any better and he maybe fired if he doesn't improve next year. This is that coach's THIRD FCS head coaching job. He has shown a pattern of violating NCAA rules, and at Colorado he didn't do well, after the old coach's recruits left.

Franks Tanks
December 10th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Like I begin to start caring about a bunch of internet "geeks" opinions regarding the matters. xlolx

Enjoy your "bowl season," mafree'. :)

You haven't made a lucent point on this whole thread. You just relayed some story of turning down a scholarship offer, and made some assertions.

I asked if you had a point and you didn't respond so I guess you don't.

Panther88
December 10th, 2010, 08:55 AM
You haven't made a lucent point on this whole thread. You just relayed some story of turning down a scholarship offer, and made some assertions.

I asked if you had a point and you didn't respond so I guess you don't.

My point was very valid and prolly pretty straight forward w/out the "kum bah yah" some would seek. I wouldn't expect you or others of your ilk to understand. That's why the status quo is still proceeding, unfortunately.

Good job. ::thumbsup::

Franks Tanks
December 10th, 2010, 09:12 AM
My point was very valid and prolly pretty straight forward w/out the "kum bah yah" some would seek. I wouldn't expect you or others of your ilk to understand. That's why the status quo is still proceeding, unfortunately.

Right, I don't understand why turning down an athletic scholarship is some sort of badge of honor. Many very smart and successful people attend college on athletic scholarships, and that in no way impacts their work in other facets of life.

Panther88
December 10th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Right, I don't understand why turning down an athletic scholarship is some sort of badge of honor. Many very smart and successful people attend college on athletic scholarships, and that in no way impacts their work in other facets of life.

Understand my point: There's NOTHING wrong w/ accepting and using an athl schollie to further one academically. MY issue is THOSE who seek to USE them for their athletic prowess and do NOT graduate them.

I can't wait for the infamous YEARLY list of bowl participants and the listing of grad rates, esp as it relates to African-Americans. The ncaa (natl' crooked allegiance association) should be ashamed of itself for implementing the "apr" (what a farce lol) so recently. Universal guidelines should've been implemented in the late 1960s, IMO. THAT is when the problem/issue started. Would you not agree? Integration of the playing fields first and foremost. THAT is what the former "majority" universities were seeking, eh?

I'm still trying to find that one school that fudges it's admission criteria for someone, who isn't sports or athletic related, just out of the goodness of its heart. lol You can lol here====> xlolx

WileECoyote06
December 10th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I'm still trying to find that one school that fudges it's admission criteria for someone, who isn't sports or athletic related, just out of the goodness of its heart. lol You can lol here====> xlolx

That's my problem with the current system. Yesterday I forgot to post my reply, but it echoed the same sentiment.

Here's a scenario:

Student 1: 2.7 GPA 1050 SAT; works at Burger king on the weekend; volunteers at an old folks home
Student 2: 2.3 GPA 950 SAT; star football offensive lineman; doesn't volunteer or work because of his committment to sport

Now who would a flagship public institution choose for admittance?

Panther88
December 10th, 2010, 10:00 AM
That's my problem with the current system. Yesterday I forgot to post my reply, but it echoed the same sentiment.

Here's a scenario:

Student 1: 2.7 GPA 1050 SAT; works at Burger king on the weekend; volunteers at an old folks home
Student 2: 2.3 GPA 950 SAT; star football offensive lineman; doesn't volunteer or work because of his committment to sport

Now who would a flagship public institution choose for admittance?

Surely it would be Student#1, eh? xlolx

I'd hasten to believe if Student#2 had a 650 SATand was star football player, they'd get the nod for admittance. I'm sure all would agree.

WileECoyote06
December 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Surely it would be Student#1, eh? xlolx

I'd hasten to believe if Student#2 had a 650 SATand was star football player, they'd get the nod for admittance. I'm sure all would agree.

I used 950, because I believe students have to get at least a 900 to be admitted to a DI program.

Panther88
December 10th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I used 950, because I believe students have to get at least a 900 to be admitted to a DI program.

I guess we're speaking on initial admittance and not those who skirt it w/ the lower scores, going JUCO, and THEN txferring back to the factory (fball or bball). Also, it's my understanding that certain D-1 "schools," give "special consideration for admission" extended to certain folx who don't meet their admittance criteria. Wanna' guess how many of those are student-athletes in certain instances? I did grad school @ Ohio St for a few and again, witnessed this in motion via a cousin (played on their bball team during the old Jim Jaxon/Treg Lee days). :)

Lastly, I wonder how Blinn Jr College is able to get all those superstars every single year? It's amazing to be like the former Cleveland Cavalier fans and witness this game in motion. :)

MountaineerMania54
December 10th, 2010, 10:14 AM
So you are saying that these schools shouldn't even offer these young men scholarships? Where would that put these young men after high school? At least the "factories" give these young men an opportunity to do something with their life. I believe that the University to some extent should be responsible for the athlete's academics, but at the end of the day, a young man is his own ruler.

Panther88
December 10th, 2010, 10:43 AM
At least the "factories" give these young men an opportunity to do something with their life. I believe that the University to some extent should be responsible for the athlete's academics, but at the end of the day, a young man is his own ruler.

I don't disagree w/ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. When that infamous list comes out, as it historically has during this time lol, look those #s over and see the premise for a lot of what's occurring during bowl season===> $$$$$ making potential.

Okay, it's ncaa basketball season and this gets overlooked quite a bit. Having an 8% grad rate of African-Americans on your basketball squad, mens and womens lol, and your school is in the sweet-16 almost every year is not a good look univ of kentucky and unv of louisville. :-|

Twentysix
December 10th, 2010, 10:45 AM
All these BS excuses about why blacks aren't head coaches, fail to answer the question, when blacks graduate, become coaches, but get stuck at being RB, DB, or WR coach, but never get moved up to OC or DC or never get a shot at being a head coach. Why?

Karl Dorrell, got one shot at UCLA, he was terrible. But the current UCLA coach isn't doing any better and he maybe fired if he doesn't improve next year. This is that coach's THIRD FCS head coaching job. He has shown a pattern of violating NCAA rules, and at Colorado he didn't do well, after the old coach's recruits left.

Leslie fraiser, turner gill, just off the top of my head. Maybe the guys your talking about aren't good enough to hc.

SouthernMan
December 10th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I don't disagree w/ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. When that infamous list comes out, as it historically has during this time lol, look those #s over and see the premise for a lot of what's occurring during bowl season===> $$$$$ making potential.

Okay, it's ncaa basketball season and this gets overlooked quite a bit. Having an 8% grad rate of African-Americans on your basketball squad, mens and womens lol, and your school is in the sweet-16 almost every year is not a good look univ of kentucky and unv of louisville. :-|

Couldn't some of that percentage of graduates be because of so many players going pro early and not graduating? I cannot see how the school is faulted because of that.

Panther88
December 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Couldn't some of that percentage of graduates be because of so many players going pro early and not graduating? I cannot see how the school is faulted because of that.

But SouthernMan, how many of those are actually in the pro ranks? Everyone dropping out isn't going pro, guy.

MountaineerMania54
December 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM
What do you suggest the universities do? Only recruit kids that will excel academically? Or hold the kids' hands to make sure they do their homework?

Panther88
December 10th, 2010, 12:04 PM
What do you suggest the universities do? Only recruit kids that will excel academically? Or hold the kids' hands to make sure they do their homework?

Be realistic. We're all in agreeance regarding the self-accountability. It's never a school's job to baby-sit. lol C'mon now....

BTW, I thought universities were in the business of recruiting the academic best and brightest(?). I could be wrong, so correct me please.

MountaineerMania54
December 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM
That's fine, but that could lead to fewer and fewer minorities being admitted to schools. Don't cry racism if schools decide to say no more minorities because they don't have the grades to get in. Universities are doing many of these kids a favor by admitting them and giving them the chance to get an education, now you are saying they shouldn't admit them? I'm confused...

Panther88
December 10th, 2010, 12:18 PM
That's fine, but that could lead to fewer and fewer minorities being admitted to schools. Don't cry racism if schools decide to say no more minorities because they don't have the grades to get in. Universities are doing many of these kids a favor by admitting them and giving them the chance to get an education, now you are saying they shouldn't admit them? I'm confused...

It's 2010. Not 1910. Darwinism.

Panther88
December 10th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Good lord... look @ those HC FBS salaries.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b7v8y

TypicalTribe
December 10th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I think it would be great if the schools only received a % of the bowl payout or NCAA tournament revenue that corresponded to their graduation rate. That might hit home a bit.

WileECoyote06
December 10th, 2010, 01:26 PM

And that's a double edged sword for many minorities; as common perception among other students is that most minority students get into the university because they can play sports; and not based on their qualifications.

But please don't do the minorities any favors. Don't let them in, and they'll simply go back to attending, HBCU's, HMIs, and Tribal Colleges. xeyebrowx

But God forbid if the quality of play suffers due to exclusion . . .

Sec310
December 10th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Leslie fraiser, turner gill, just off the top of my head. Maybe the guys your talking about aren't good enough to hc.

You're not qualified to even post. Since you do not know the difference between you're and your.

But two coaches is hardly a large sample size. And Frazier has been a NFL coach, not a college coach.

heath
December 10th, 2010, 02:59 PM

and your chip is now a rock and getting bigger,not helping out the problem,only making it worse,nice job

WestCoastAggie
December 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I think it would be great if the schools only received a % of the bowl payout or NCAA tournament revenue that corresponded to their graduation rate. That might hit home a bit.

1. The NCAA has no control over the BCS Payouts.

2. The BCS Conferences (Former CFA, Big 10, Pac-10) will never go for this type of pay structure. It would amount to Revenue Sharing, something they LOATHE.

parr90
December 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Right vs White. What's the diff? :)

Still didnt answer the question......what is the white attitude?

parr90
December 10th, 2010, 03:53 PM

I agree and this is what gets me when something happens like it did at Auburn a few years ago with Ramsey. The guy recorded conversations of them talking about money they were going to give him and then he turned on them. Most likely many guys wouldnt even go to college if they werent offered a college scholarship. Where would they be then. I barely got in to Georgia Southern because my SAT score was so low and I had offers from other schools and couldnt get in but the state of Georgia had then what was called a developmental studies program which let guys in with a lower score but had to pass certain classes first before entering in to freshman classes. But so many guys wouldnt even go to college if the schools didnt offer them an athletic scholarship. Your right they are doing many guys a favor by giving them scholarships. For a guy that wouldnt normaly go to college and gets a football scholarship, even if he doesnt graduate, the 4 years he spent in college probably makes him a better person and more able to get a job.

Panther88
December 10th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Your right they are doing many guys a favor by giving them scholarships. For a guy that wouldnt normaly go to college and gets a football scholarship, even if he doesnt graduate, the 4 years he spent in college probably makes him a better person and more able to get a job.

I'm so thankful I'll never encounter any of you in the real world. Just....sickening.

Read and learn (for once) before you respond w/ more insipidity. Geez man. This is a great piece below.
http://newsone.com/newsone-original/boycewatkins/dr-boyce-how-sports-marginalizes-black-men-from-society/?omcamp=EMC-CVNL
http://newsone.com/entertainment/sports-entertainment/boycewatkins/dr-boyce-march-madness-is-a-billion-dollar-sweatshop/

As it stands, sports becomes the drug that makes us(you) feel good and the bane that destroys us. The NCAA and other institutions designed to encourage black men to pass up education in exchange for athletic pursuits serves to marginalize as many men as the prison system itself. If black mothers, fathers and “the village” doesn’t take a stand to confront this culture and these institutions, they will continue to undermine the progress of our community.

Very telling quote. Like I said earlier, some of us understand this "game" that's being played. As a 17 y/o, I was greatly ahead of most (mentally).

Panther88
December 10th, 2010, 05:10 PM
and your chip is now a rock and getting bigger,not helping out the problem,only making it worse,nice job

It's not my problem to solve, heath. I've done my little part of the greater solution by imparting knowledge to my own and those in my realm.

You're most welcome in advance. xlolx

MountaineerMania54
December 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM
How in the H*** do universities encourage black athletes to give up academic endeavors in pursuit of athletics? Can they not do both? There are plenty of scholar athletes at the major universities. This thread is getting ridiculous, and your attitude reeks of "anti-white establishment." So be it, lets just assume the white man still rules the South to take advantage of the black man and use him for all he's worth. Get real...its 2010. Everybody is equal, everybody athlete black, white, yellow, green, or purple has the same chance to take advantage of whats given to them.

heath
December 10th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Be realistic. We're all in agreeance regarding the self-accountability. It's never a school's job to baby-sit. lol C'mon now....

BTW, I thought universities were in the business of recruiting the academic best and brightest(?). I could be wrong, so correct me please.

They are!,they need entertainment,so they lowered standards and allowed minorities into these schools to play sports.(as long as they stay out of trouble)xlolxxnodxBut don't worry,if it doesn't include you or your son,you are in the clear.I've been around 100's of guys just like you,and feel sorry for everyone.If you don't start living the present and forget the past,you will never be HAPPY,or proud of this great country we live in.What a shame!

Panther88
December 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM
They are!,they need entertainment,so they lowered standards and allowed minorities into these schools to play sports.(as long as they stay out of trouble)xlolxxnodxBut don't worry,if it doesn't include you or your son,you are in the clear.I've been around 100's of guys just like you,and feel sorry for everyone.If you don't start living the present and forget the past,you will never be HAPPY,or proud of this great country we live in.What a shame!

100s of guys like me wouldn't be caught around you ever, first of all. xlolx And it doesn't get any more real than what I just intimated. #2, I've seen pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty like you though, unfortunately. ::wavey smiley::

Go buy your "Cam Newton" jersey @ 112$ shipping and handling included. xlolx

heath
December 10th, 2010, 07:53 PM
QUOTE=Panther88;1598214]100s of guys like me wouldn't be caught around you ever, first of all. xlolx And it doesn't get any more real than what I just intimated. #2, I've seen pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty like you though, unfortunately. ::wavey smiley::

Go buy your "Cam Newton" jersey @ 112$ shipping and handling included. xlolx[/QUOTE]
xblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahx YOU have a CAM complex. Sounds like a dad trying to live through his sons eyes and he let you down.You keep doing the right or white thing and things will end up fine. Trust me Bro!

WestCoastAggie
December 10th, 2010, 07:56 PM
http://serialdrama.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b72b69e20133f46957d5970b-320wi

Panther88
December 10th, 2010, 09:26 PM
QUOTE=Panther88;1598214]100s of guys like me wouldn't be caught around you ever, first of all. xlolx And it doesn't get any more real than what I just intimated. #2, I've seen pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty like you though, unfortunately. ::wavey smiley::

Go buy your "Cam Newton" jersey @ 112$ shipping and handling included. xlolx
xblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahx YOU have a CAM complex. Sounds like a dad trying to live through his sons eyes and he let you down.You keep doing the right or white thing and things will end up fine. Trust me Bro![/QUOTE]

Plz don't refer to me as "bro" guy. That's highly HIGHLY offensive. We have ZERO common ground, as far as I'm concerned.

parr90
December 10th, 2010, 09:41 PM
. Just....sickeI'm so thankful I'll never encounter any of you in the real worldning.

Read and learn (for once) before you respond w/ more insipidity. Geez man. This is a great piece below.
http://newsone.com/newsone-original/boycewatkins/dr-boyce-how-sports-marginalizes-black-men-from-society/?omcamp=EMC-CVNL
http://newsone.com/entertainment/sports-entertainment/boycewatkins/dr-boyce-march-madness-is-a-billion-dollar-sweatshop/

Very telling quote. Like I said earlier, some of us understand this "game" that's being played. As a 17 y/o, I was greatly ahead of most (mentally).

Im going to LOL like you say after every sentence or so. Institutions and sports dont make the man, the man himself makes the man. People have choices. And yes it is probably a good thing when a guy that wouldnt go to college gets a ride to play football and at least gets to have a chance to be educated even if he doesnt go on to play pro. I dont know what is so sickening about what I said and Im being honest. I may not be as smart as you so if you could in more stupid man terms explain what Im saying wrong here. By the way you still didnt answer my question......what is the white way?

parr90
December 10th, 2010, 10:29 PM
xblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahx YOU have a CAM complex. Sounds like a dad trying to live through his sons eyes and he let you down.You keep doing the right or white thing and things will end up fine. Trust me Bro!

Plz don't refer to me as "bro" guy. That's highly HIGHLY offensive. We have ZERO common ground, as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

There you go again. What is the white thing? You gonna answer that?

Panther88
December 11th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Im going to LOL like you say after every sentence or so. Institutions and sports dont make the man, the man himself makes the man. People have choices. And yes it is probably a good thing when a guy that wouldnt go to college gets a ride to play football and at least gets to have a chance to be educated (and complete the educational process by GRADUATING; rather than staying elgible for 4-5 yrs just to "run a ball" or "jump") even if he doesnt go on to play pro. I dont know what is so sickening about what I said and Im being honest. I may not be as smart as you so if you could in more stupid man terms explain what Im saying wrong here. By the way you still didnt answer my question......what is the white way?

You're welcome. We're not that far apart in thoughts; it's just that you seem to lack comprehension of the word "completion-successfully." lol (there, I lol'd again because I really am lol'ing LOL!!! xlolx )

parr90
December 11th, 2010, 12:54 PM
You're welcome. We're not that far apart in thoughts; it's just that you seem to lack comprehension of the word "completion-successfully." lol (there, I lol'd again because I really am lol'ing LOL!!! xlolx )

Thats what I thought. LOL

lucchesicourt
December 11th, 2010, 01:13 PM

Cost of Attendance In-state: $21,028/year
Out-of-state: $35,044/year
Tuition and Fees
In-state: $7,900
Out-of-state: $21,916
Room and Board
$9,630
Books and Supplies
$1,100
Other Expenses
$2,398
Payment Plans Credit card, installment plan

Hardly paltry-considering that the education one receives ALLOWS you to earn much more over a LIFETIME. So, explain to me how that is paltry

WileECoyote06
December 11th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Advancing to the championship game is worth approximately 2 million extra dollars from the conference according to the New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/weekinreview/14belson.html Lifetime earnings for a person with a bachelor degree is about 2.1 million dollars. So Auburn made as much in one year as a regular Auburn graduate would make in a lifetime. So considering that return, the 35K+ dollar investment in Newton is kinda miniscule.

But don't get me wrong, the system rewards both players and colleges.

Sycamore51
December 14th, 2010, 12:45 PM
The last two coaches Indiana State has had have both been African American. One brought the program to its lowest point ever, and one is bringing it back. I think I speak for all Sycamore fans when I say I don't care what color our coach is, as long as we win!

WileECoyote06
December 14th, 2010, 02:13 PM
The last two coaches Indiana State has had have both been African American. One brought the program to its lowest point ever, and one is bringing it back. I think I speak for all Sycamore fans when I say I don't care what color our coach is, as long as we win!
xthumbsupx

art vandelay
December 14th, 2010, 03:00 PM
http://serialdrama.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b72b69e20133f46957d5970b-320wi

hahahaha great post and great episode.