PDA

View Full Version : Boone weather

Bossanova
December 8th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Break out the summer clothes. High 41 degrees on both Friday and Saturday in Boone. Not much wind either.

Looks like fans attending the game ( including myself) might have caught a break as weather turns bad again on Sunday.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM
The issue on game day is that the high temperature will be early in the AM, a front comes thru and temps fall during the day throughout the game.

Check out one of the weather centers at Appalachian Ski Mtn, Sugar Mtn or Ski Beech for much more detail. Ray's Weather is also good.

The ski areas monitor changing conditions to optimize snow making. Projecting weather changes helps predict water, electricity and staff demands. 35 years ago the snow-makiers shack was the high-tech hub of the operation - LOL - I imagine it's quite the same today.

HappyAppy13
December 8th, 2010, 01:28 PM
http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone

make sure you wath this closely...he's usually the most reliable and most acurate. The ski one's are also good, just don't know where they can be found...plus, they are at higher elevation.

And 'Nova fans...if you're planning on staying the night Saturday, watch this even more careful, Sunday it will be much worse

proasu89
December 8th, 2010, 01:29 PM
http://booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone

Bossanova
December 8th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the info, guys.

pbr1893
December 8th, 2010, 03:30 PM
no, he's not the most accurate. simply put, he sucks! too much cute-sy mumbo jumbo one liners in his forecast. just predict the weather without all the schtick and be done with it! don't try to defend him also. i'm a guy who works in the snow removal business...the little boy who cried wolf has nothing on ray!

boonedocks
December 8th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I agree, Ray is no better than anyone else, he just has the most popular website. Photo of the day is great though!

Nobody can predict the weather in Boone with any certainty. Usually late thursday or friday is close enough for a good guess.

AppChicago
December 8th, 2010, 04:12 PM
no, he's not the most accurate. simply put, he sucks! too much cute-sy mumbo jumbo one liners in his forecast. just predict the weather without all the schtick and be done with it! don't try to defend him also. i'm a guy who works in the snow removal business...the little boy who cried wolf has nothing on ray!

Over my time in Boone, I found Ray to be as or more accurate than any of the other sites. High country weather is hard to predict. I paid pretty close attention, as I delivered pizzas (which meant crap weather MADE me money) in a Honda Accord (which meant OVERLY crap weather COST me money), and a few bum calls notwithstanding, I found Ray to be better than, say, Weather.com or Accuweather.

Then again, if your beef is with his style over his accuracy, you certainly can get your weather elsewhere, and I don't know why you wouldn't. I, for one, like the fact that he spends a little time writing and has a little fun with it, but I get that this is just dollars and cents to someone in snow-removal. Maybe they'll come up with a way to inject a month's worth of weather updates into your neck so you don't even have to look anything up.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I like Ray's because the Rich Mtn weather station is beside my knob xeyebrowx

Elevations around Boone range from 2,400 to 5,700 feet. Boone is at 3,330 ft. Above 4,000 ft it will be snowing beginning Friday night. Saturday morning the freeze level will begin to drop throughout the day.

Now ... without yer basic temperature inversion (can happen) .... the freeze level at The Rock (elevation 3,340) will occur at the start of the third quarter, more or less. Wind speed will double, dropping the wind chill 10 degrees. Barometric pressure will drop and your heart will have to work a little harder.

There are mostly bad things that can only happen from here. If the freeze level continues to drop in Boone it will be either snow or ice. Temperature changes at various higher elevations will also have an impact in Boone. Worse thing that happens is a wacky freeze level with freezing rain. Major suckage.

And if the cloud ceiling drops along with the freeze level yah could have yer basic ice fog - LOL - bet ESPN will love that.

Don't know the size of your group but there are major deals on accommodations at the ski areas. Six bedroom town-home type stuff with kitchens for weekend rental. They're dealin'. Big rush starts at Christmas. Probably some nice 2 and 3 bedroom deals. We are all about accommodation.

We like to send yah home happy, but sad at the same time. xlolx