PDA

View Full Version : Watch GSU Spring Game online

Baldy
April 12th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Watch it here if you wanna:

2005 Blue/White Game (http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/marketing/mtgfbtv.php)

Baldy
April 12th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Check out Chaz' successor, #4 Jayson Foster. He had 112 yards on 12 carries...all with a noncontact jersey. For a preview, go the the 4:30 mark of the clip. Enjoy!!! :)

GreatAppSt
April 12th, 2005, 10:49 PM
:doh: I missed it. :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :p :p

Baldy
April 13th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Don't worry, you'll see plenty of him in Boone. That is unless you're too busy watching the Hens in Delaware. ;) :p

OL FU
April 13th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Is he as fast as Chaz?
I hope not.

Baldy
April 13th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Faster...well a little according to the watches, but to the naked eye, Chaz can't hold Fosters jock as far as the "overall package" is concerned...speed, quickness, elusiveness, etc. Chaz' downfield speed is fast, but at right at 6 ft. and 215-220 lbs. Chaz was more of a bruiser as far as option QB's go. If (and it's still an if right now) Foster wins the job, he will make some very good defensive football players look very bad.

ChickenMan
April 13th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Everyones knows GSU QBs can run... the real question is... can they pass...??? ;)

eaglefan452
April 13th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Everyones knows GSU QBs can run... the real question is... can they pass...??? ;)

The REAL question is... will they have to?... ;)

GannonFan
April 13th, 2005, 09:28 AM
The REAL question is... will they have to?... ;)
For their sake they better hope not - UNH last year was not pretty for GSU in the 4th quarter.

Gort
April 13th, 2005, 10:07 AM
If GSU has to pass, they lose!

blueballs
April 13th, 2005, 10:12 AM
For those familiar with GSU football and the SoCon in general Foster will remind you of Greg Hill with his speed and elusiveness. Foster has one of the fastest 40 times in the history of the program. The question remains whether he will be the leader and become as proficient in the offense as Hill or Chaz was.

IMO and I'm sure Baldy agrees w/me because we talked about it Saturday, Foster almost has to be the starter because he is such a home run threat. If he runs 20 times per game he will get over 100 yds., and yes he is faster than Chaz, no doubt about it. With the o-linemen GSU has coming back along with Austin, Andrews and the two slots, if Foster can make the correct reads and not fumble GSU will score big again in 2005. I think it will be hard to match the 2004 team's average of 47/game but 35+/game should be a given.

As for the UNH playoff game, the problem wasn't so much the lack of a passing offense, it was a lack of the pitch. There were numerous times when the pitch was wide open for big plays and the execution was lacking by either the QB or SB or both. The weather was the obvious excuse but it looked like they'd all of a sudden forgotten what had worked all year, maybe even thinking instead of just playing.

Anytime GSU gets behind late and has to pass it is a sign of problems with the option. GSU isn't going to win games late with a 2 minute offense, it wins games with 60 minutes of option precision, and if that precision is lacking for whatever reason, they'll probably lose.

Eagle_77
April 13th, 2005, 11:42 AM
With this great QB race everyone is forgetting the Slot Backs. If Foster wins the spot it will be the overall fastest offense in several years. To put it to perspective for fans that have not been paying attention or for knowledgeable foes this team will resemble Gregg Hill running the offense with Walden and Myers at the A-backs. Add in a healthy Austin and improving passing game and defenses need beware. This situation reminds me of JR's first year running the offense. I’m getting excited just thinking about it.

DemiGS
April 13th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I’ve been watching Georgia Southern football since I started at GSU in 1998. It seems perfectly apparent to me that GSU has one HUGE achilles heel. That heel is bad weather. Our option simply does not work in pouring ran and the like. Unfortunately bad weather seems to be common in the latter weeks of the season here in the South East. Please don’t take this as an excuse, because I know football is an all weather sport, and the inability to play in rain is the Eagle’s fault. Allow me to point out a few examples: UMASS ’98. I was at that game and the weather was nasty. We could not run the option we are known for. We fumbled, UMASS was able to run their game and take advantage. This past year here in the ‘boro UNH took advantage of GSU’s inability to play in the rain. For any follower of GSU football you know that offense was not the same offense that had been run all year long. The wet field and wet ball hinder the speed option so completely because of the lateral nature of the offense. How many true option tosses did GSU attempt or complete during that UNH game? I bet you can count them on one hand. Again, credit is to the teams that are able to play in all of the conditions the game of football requires. UNH was the better team just as UMASS was. I was just wondering if any of the other GSU faithful have noticed the same phenomenon? That being, that if GSU is playing a closely matched opponent, and it is raining significantly….we will not be able to run our offense and lose the game.

Baldy
April 13th, 2005, 05:53 PM
IMO, the need of a passing "threat" is minimized with Foster. He is that dangerous. When he drops back to pass with the defensive line pushing up field and the LB's dropping back into coverage, it just opens up more running lanes and more space...a very dangerous combination for any defense.

I saw all the scrimmages and the Spring game and Foster went from being a very raw and confused talent in scrimmage #1 to (looking like) a much more seasoned and controlled veteran who has a firm grasp on this offense. No doubt, there are areas of his game he needs to work on for sure....pitching, reads, and passing, but his margin for error is much greater than any other QB we've had in a loooong time.

77, you are very correct about the slots. We could possibly rotate 6+ guys at that position with Maynard, Jefferson, Steve Steele, Smiley, (if he doesn't win the QB position), Covington, Adamson, Andrews....not to mention Chris Riffey who had a 95 yard TD run in one of the scrimmages.

Offensively, this could be the most dangerous team we've had in many many years.

Down with the Foe!
April 13th, 2005, 11:50 PM
wow- I'm gonna watch some more of that....course I had plans to be in Jooooe....Juh for the Griz/Blue boyz match-up in the playoff's last year, but......we all know what happened that day

ooooooppppssssey!

:eek:

Gidddddyyyyyyyy up!

Baldy
April 14th, 2005, 12:06 AM
uh oh, not that GaSU is ever NOT dangerous offensively. I love the way the Eagles are so quick and run-oriented. :bow:

Me too! :D

Are you coming down for a game again this season?

Eagle_77
April 14th, 2005, 07:40 AM
What program did you open the game in. I tried in media player but couldnt get into it.

Down with the Foe!
April 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM
What program did you open the game in. I tried in media player but couldnt get into it.

Real Player free version. Good to have, just don't let it make itself the defauslt player when you set it up at download time.

Giddy....up!

blueballs
April 14th, 2005, 01:17 PM
For sure coming down but not sure where yet. Last year was such an epiphany that I may have to temper it with visiting another SoCon site this year. Maybe October 01, 2005 at Elon?

If it were me coming to Statesboro and I could come to only one GSU home game it would be either the Furman game or the McNeese game. Both should be good games and the tailgate will be rocking.