PDA

View Full Version : FCS Title Game will be invisible

TypicalTribe
December 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Not sure if this has already been hashed out previously, but as I was looking at the bowl schedule, one game jumped out at me:

Cotton Bowl - LSU vs. Texas A&M - January 7th

How did it make sense to move the championship game from Chatty to Frisco if it's going to be played in the shadow of a bowl game 30 miles away. How are these two games going head-to-head anyway? No way the local community supports this with LSU and A&M playing the same night. Can't help but think the ratings will be miniscule.

Hard to imagine how the FCS could get screwed any worse.

biggie
December 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Yep, has been discussed. Won't help that there won't be anyone there either.

AppMan
December 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM
The Cotton Bowl picked the date after the NCAA. This is the 75th anniversary of the Cotton Bowl and it was switched to the date of the inaugural game.

AppMan
December 6th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Yep, has been discussed. Won't help that there won't be anyone there either.

Did you actually intend to put that out there and open yourself up for ridicule the day after the game?

biggie
December 6th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Did you actually intend to put that out there and open yourself up for ridicule the day after the game?
I know what will be true. What school with a chance to play there will bring more than 3k fans? Since all the ones left are more than 13 hrs drive. There aren't too many left in the playoffs that would bring over 5k if the game was played at their own stadium.

There may be some locals who come out, but that can't be over 2-3k itself. Right now on the high side of guessing 3k per team and 3k of locals is 9k. I'm much more inclined to guess 6-7k.

NHwildEcat
December 6th, 2010, 03:00 PM
All that has been mentioned is true...I will say that no matter who is playing I will be watching the Title game...As much as I enjoy the Cotton Bowl and the potential for a good game inside of it, I plan on watching hopefully UNH, but if not them then fellow FCS competitors because at the end of the day this is the HIGHEST level of sanctioned NCAA football. This is the National Championship game and these are teams all of us grow familier with throughout the course of our seasons. Its on TV, I will watch it. I use to not be able to guarantee that previously because when it is in December, I tend to get stuck with Christmas related things and am lucky to catch even a little bit of the game...

bluehenbillk
December 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM
This same thread is going on over on CS.com as well. If the Cotton Bowl was played in Chatty & the NC game was still there you'd have more of a point. The Dallas /Fort Worth metro area is huge, and so many people that live there aren't from there originally. TX A&M has a decent # of fans/alums there but the Dallas area is more of a UT & Oklahoma kinda crowd. Regardless, playing in January when the BCS games are going on (I know the Cotton is not a BCS game), the FCS NC is going to be overshadowed anyway. They've been hawking tix since the beginning of FB seasonso it's not for a lack of trying. The bottom line is, and they said it again on the selection show on ESPNU - they moved the game for one reason - $$ - the NCAA will come out financially better by playing the game in Frisco before the 1st ticket was actually sold, so for them, I don't know if they care that much if there is 13K vs 20K at Pizza Hut Park.

DFW HOYA
December 6th, 2010, 03:04 PM
The other liability is ticket fatigue. Between Dec. 30-Jan. 7, the local area hosts the Armed Forces Bowl, TicketCity Bowl, and Cotton Bowl in addition to the championship.

Armed Forces (Army-SMU) should be close to sold out (30,000). Ticket City (Northwestern-Texas Tech) probably draws 40,000. Jerry's Cotton Bowl tops 80,000. How many college football fans in the area will be left to see this as a destination event, weather permitting?

Disclosure: I'll probably go, but if I find a cheap ticket to TAMU-LSU, er, no guarantees.

biggie
December 6th, 2010, 03:15 PM
True that DFW area is big, but how many in that area even know about FCS? Much less care about it?

Wildcat80
December 6th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Saturday during the games how many of you watched auburn-sc instead of an FCS playoff game? Not me. Watched UNH, asu then sfa then ewu......but I know we are a small group. No way do I watch the cotton bowl. does not interest me. Now UNH vs ASU that's a game!!

WileECoyote06
December 6th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Was there any reason given why the championship game is being played on a Friday instead of a Saturday?

srgrizizen
December 6th, 2010, 04:25 PM
All that has been mentioned is true...I will say that no matter who is playing I will be watching the Title game...As much as I enjoy the Cotton Bowl and the potential for a good game inside of it, I plan on watching hopefully UNH, but if not them then fellow FCS competitors because at the end of the day this is the HIGHEST level of sanctioned NCAA football. This is the National Championship game and these are teams all of us grow familier with throughout the course of our seasons. Its on TV, I will watch it. I use to not be able to guarantee that previously because when it is in December, I tend to get stuck with Christmas related things and am lucky to catch even a little bit of the game...

I agree completely. As long as the game is televised, I'll either watch it live or record it. I don't understand the obsession some people have with somehow being validated by national attention. Fans of BCS teams will never care about FCS football. So what? People on this board do, it's our championship, so let's just enjoy it and let the others argue endlessly about whether the right two teams are in the "NC invitational" farce the BCS clings to. (even if they probably got it right this year).

danefan
December 6th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Was there any reason given why the championship game is being played on a Friday instead of a Saturday?

ESPN's choice probably.

james_lawfirm
December 6th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I agree completely. As long as the game is televised, I'll either watch it live or record it. I don't understand the obsession some people have with somehow being validated by national attention. Fans of BCS teams will never care about FCS football. So what? People on this board do, it's our championship, so let's just enjoy it and let the others argue endlessly about whether the right two teams are in the "NC invitational" farce the BCS clings to. (even if they probably got it right this year).

I agree with your agreement.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 6th, 2010, 08:26 PM
True that DFW area is big, but how many in that area even know about FCS? Much less care about it?

Texans do seem to have an abnormally large appetite for football. Don't they have high scools in TX that draw close to 20,000 fans for games? I think the newness of having the FCS playoffs might help as well, a bunch of people might show up just to check it out and see what it's about. Any combination of UD, 'Nova, UNH, GaSou, or App State should make for one hell of a game, and it might just make some FCS converts.

Of course, a lot of it could come down to how well it is being marketed in Frisco. Sure, the Cotton Bowl will be gettings lots of publicity, but if this game gets enough hype, I could see 10,000 random DFW people showing up.

biggie
December 6th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Texans do seem to have an abnormally large appetite for football. Don't they have high scools in TX that draw close to 20,000 fans for games? I think the newness of having the FCS playoffs might help as well, a bunch of people might show up just to check it out and see what it's about. Any combination of UD, 'Nova, UNH, GaSou, or App State should make for one hell of a game, and it might just make some FCS converts.

Of course, a lot of it could come down to how well it is being marketed in Frisco. Sure, the Cotton Bowl will be gettings lots of publicity, but if this game gets enough hype, I could see 10,000 random DFW people showing up.Do think that we'd have some Texans exploring fcs except for the Cotton bowl now. Maybe if the CB is a blowout then some will flip channels, but don't see anything bringing a big crowd of local non-fcs fans.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 6th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Do think that we'd have some Texans exploring fcs except for the Cotton bowl now. Maybe if the CB is a blowout then some will flip channels, but don't see anything bringing a big crowd of local non-fcs fans.

How fast does the CB sell out? Maybe we'll get some people who can't get tickets to the Cotton Bowl deciding to check out the FCS Championship instead (and yes, it's embarrassing that the only legitimate Div I football championship might be a fallback plan to a meaningless bowl game, but I'm for anything that gets butts in the seats and spreads FCS awareness).

Side Judge
December 6th, 2010, 09:12 PM

Of course, a lot of it could come down to how well it is being marketed in Frisco. Sure, the Cotton Bowl will be gettings lots of publicity, but if this game gets enough hype, I could see 10,000 random DFW people showing up.

So how many show up for, say, Wofford v. Nova? How many would even be able to place either one of these teams on the map?

biggie
December 6th, 2010, 09:16 PM
So how many show up for, say, Wofford v. Nova? How many would even be able to place either one of these teams on the map?
I'd go over/under of 3k on that one. Right now PHP owner is trying to curse both of them to lose.

ud_hens
December 6th, 2010, 09:17 PM
How fast does the CB sell out? Maybe we'll get some people who can't get tickets to the Cotton Bowl deciding to check out the FCS Championship instead (and yes, it's embarrassing that the only legitimate Div I football championship might be a fallback plan to a meaningless bowl game, but I'm for anything that gets butts in the seats and spreads FCS awareness).

(from Wiki) The stadium seats 80,000, The maximum capacity of the stadium, including standing room is 110,000.

NHwildEcat
December 6th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I think people are getting confused on this topic...The game that is occurring during the National Championship game is being played at the Cotton Bowl...however, it is not the Cotton Bowl game...The Cotton Bowl game is played at Cowboys Stadium...so the last post shows the seating capacity for Cowboys Stadium...just to clarify.

Black and Gold Express
December 6th, 2010, 09:48 PM

I got an easy one. An ASU/GSU final. That would have crushed all attendance records in Chattanooga. It would draw maybe 10-15k in Frisco.

NHwildEcat
December 6th, 2010, 09:51 PM
UNH/Nova final would be ideal...

BlueHenSinfonian
December 6th, 2010, 09:53 PM

'Nova at least is a nationally known basketball power, so there could be some name recognition there.

TypicalTribe
December 6th, 2010, 10:11 PM
'Nova at least is a nationally known basketball power, so there could be some name recognition there.

Just not any fans

texcap
December 6th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I think people are getting confused on this topic...The game that is occurring during the National Championship game is being played at the Cotton Bowl...however, it is not the Cotton Bowl game...The Cotton Bowl game is played at Cowboys Stadium...so the last post shows the seating capacity for Cowboys Stadium...just to clarify.

No the game that will be in conflict with the FCS Championship is "The Cotton Bowl Classic" and it will be played at Cowboys Stadium between Texas A&M and LSU.

The game being played at the actual Cotton Bowl Stadium is the inagural Ticketcity Bowl, with Texas Tech vs. Northwestern. This game will be played on January 1.

beanburrito
December 6th, 2010, 10:19 PM

No, it's the actual Cotton Bowl game at Cowboys Stadium that is being played that night: http://goo.gl/hfikO

NHwildEcat
December 6th, 2010, 10:26 PM

My bad...I am the confused one haha...

glsjunior
December 6th, 2010, 11:22 PM
It should be moved to the Georgia Dome. Atlanta has experience hosting big college football games, it is geographically in a good location with a first class airport, and most importantly, when games are played in Domes, it just feels bigger. No offense to Chat, but when I see the Champ game on TV it just looks minor league.

WileECoyote06
December 6th, 2010, 11:53 PM
It should be moved to the Georgia Dome. Atlanta has experience hosting big college football games, it is geographically in a good location with a first class airport, and most importantly, when games are played in Domes, it just feels bigger. No offense to Chat, but when I see the Champ game on TV it just looks minor league.

The MEAC and the SWAC got dibs on it. xoopsx xcoffeex

NHwildEcat
December 7th, 2010, 07:10 AM

But this year it is in Frisco.

TSUalum05
December 7th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Texans do seem to have an abnormally large appetite for football. Don't they have high scools in TX that draw close to 20,000 fans

There was a high school game this past weekend of two Houston area high schools that had a reported attendance of just over 41k.

SideLine Shooter
December 7th, 2010, 08:12 AM
But this year it is in Frisco.

!@#$%^&!!!!

danefan
December 7th, 2010, 08:37 AM
This may just be a mere anecdote, but I had dinner with a colleague the other night who happens to live in Frisco. Huge college football fan. He told me that he was planning on the FCS NC game instead of the Cotton Bowl because he's got a family of 4 and doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg at Cowboys Stadium. He said that appears to be the sentiment of a lot of his friends with families as well. Maybe that will be the NCAA's saving grace.

Cotton Bowl Tickets (sold out) - Stubhub - 4 tickets together will cost you at least $900 (upper upper deck - which is really high up at the new Cowobys stadium)
FCS National Championship Game - $127

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2010, 09:28 AM
This may just be a mere anecdote, but I had dinner with a colleague the other night who happens to live in Frisco. Huge college football fan. He told me that he was planning on the FCS NC game instead of the Cotton Bowl because he's got a family of 4 and doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg at Cowboys Stadium. He said that appears to be the sentiment of a lot of his friends with families as well. Maybe that will be the NCAA's saving grace.

It will have to be. The game's one shot at a large partisan crowd went out the door when SFA imploded last week. There are exactly two proven rabid fan bases with a history of packing the title game left, and that was in no small part because it was an easy drive for a large majority of their fans to the old venue. ASU and GSU would still bring more fans than any other team left, but giving fans 3 weeks to plan still is not going to offset the much higher travel costs. Next tier is UD and NDSU I am imagining. Nova, UNH, Wofford, and EWU won't bring anyone.

God help them if it's EWU against either Wofford or UNH. There might be a total of 2000 fans there from both schools combined.

Gil Dobie
December 7th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Not sure if this has already been hashed out previously, but as I was looking at the bowl schedule, one game jumped out at me:

Cotton Bowl - LSU vs. Texas A&M - January 7th

How did it make sense to move the championship game from Chatty to Frisco if it's going to be played in the shadow of a bowl game 30 miles away. How are these two games going head-to-head anyway? No way the local community supports this with LSU and A&M playing the same night. Can't help but think the ratings will be miniscule.

People don't pay attention to the bowl games like they used to. The biggest day in FBS football now is the conference championship weekend, then the big lull until the BCS Championship game. The FCS game will be fine and won't miss out on non-FCS fans anymore than usual.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2010, 09:58 AM
It will have to be. The game's one shot at a large partisan crowd went out the door when SFA imploded last week. There are exactly two proven rabid fan bases with a history of packing the title game left, and that was in no small part because it was an easy drive for a large majority of their fans to the old venue. ASU and GSU would still bring more fans than any other team left, but giving fans 3 weeks to plan still is not going to offset the much higher travel costs. Next tier is UD and NDSU I am imagining. Nova, UNH, Wofford, and EWU won't bring anyone.

God help them if it's EWU against either Wofford or UNH. There might be a total of 2000 fans there from both schools combined.

The folks in Frisco will absolutely be rooting for an ASU/Delaware final. No other combination will come close to matching that for combined attendance.

But there are some good fan bases left that I think would still pack the house - Georgia Southern and NDSU. They'll be praying that all four games go ASU, Delaware, Georgia Southern, NDSU. That would guarantee a good gate at the final, and also set up some damned interesting semifinals too.

danefan
December 7th, 2010, 10:11 AM
There are 4 teams with solid fanbases left and coincidentally they're all in different regions of the bracket. Any combination of these 4 teams will do just fine with attendance:

App State (avg. attendance 27,145)
Delaware (19,805)
NDSU (15,944)
GSU (17,627)

I'd also venture to say that in my eyes, all of the above 4 teams are the likely winners this weekend.

biggie
December 7th, 2010, 11:00 AM
There are 4 teams with solid fanbases left and coincidentally they're all in different regions of the bracket. Any combination of these 4 teams will do just fine with attendance:

Delaware (19,805)
NDSU (15,944)
GSU (17,627)

I'd also venture to say that in my eyes, all of the above 4 teams are the likely winners this weekend.
Not really a sure thing on attendance. Its just too far away. I know that 80% of the fans that I personally know of App that would be in Chatty for a NC game will not make it to TX.

Catsfan2
December 7th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I'm coming out of Baltimore -- as of right now (will definitely get more expensive as day approaches) -- 2 people -- airfare, decent hotel 2 nights, rental car 2 days (including fees and taxes for all) and game tickets is going to be around $1200. Just can't swing it this year. Those would be non-refundable airline ticket prices by the way.

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
The folks in Frisco will absolutely be rooting for an ASU/Delaware final. No other combination will come close to matching that for combined attendance.

But there are some good fan bases left that I think would still pack the house - Georgia Southern and NDSU. They'll be praying that all four games go ASU, Delaware, Georgia Southern, NDSU. That would guarantee a good gate at the final, and also set up some damned interesting semifinals too.

I completely disagree with that first statement. ASU/GSU would still be #1 of all the remaining combos. GSU fans travel, better than just about any other team I've seen. And that includes Delaware. I was at the 2007 title game and really thought UD would have brought more than they did. It was always going to be a heavily partisan ASU crowd there, but I thought it would have been a little more balanced than it was.

ASU/UD would be #2 on my list, FWIW.

But even with either of those two matchups, it's going to be crickets compared to what it would have been in Chattanooga. Perhaps it's better that way though, I'm not sure that Chatty could have handled an ASU/GSU final, both in terms of attendance and police presence needed. xsmiley_wix

bluehenbillk
December 7th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Well I don't know about ASU, it was a decent car ride before when it was in Chatty, now they'll have to evaluate getting dental insurance versus the price of airfare....

danefan
December 7th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I'm coming out of Baltimore -- as of right now (will definitely get more expensive as day approaches) -- 2 people -- airfare, decent hotel 2 nights, rental car 2 days (including fees and taxes for all) and game tickets is going to be around $1200. Just can't swing it this year. Those would be non-refundable airline ticket prices by the way.

I don't really mean to question you on this, but I had looked from a number of cities recently (close to schools still in it) and was able to put packages together on Kayak much cheaper. So I did it for Baltimore as well:

Flights - $460 ($230 each on American non-stop) - flying in Thursday night and out Saturday.
Cars - $62 total (compact)
Hotel - $200 total ($98 a night at Holiday Inn
Tickets - $75 (with taxes included)
Total cost - $797

Add $200 for food and drink and your still under $1000.

UNH Fanboi
December 7th, 2010, 12:51 PM

I assume you mean $1200 total for a couple? If you stayed only 1 night and/or split a room and car with another couple, you could do the trip for much cheaper. Yes, that's not ideal, but it can be done.

biggie
December 7th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Any of you who think a grand for a football game isn't any issue. Please adopt me somehow.

danefan
December 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Any of you who think a grand for a football game isn't any issue. Please adopt me somehow.

Not saying its not an issue, but its also not going to be very much different than the cost to a lot of fans to get to Chatty. I gaurantee Montana fans spent more than $500 each to get to Chatty.

And BTW, lets just call it it what it is - the move to Chatty really hurts one group of fans - App State. Granted they are probably the biggest fan base in FCS, but still, for the vast majority of fans the move to Chatty does nothing.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Saturday during the games how many of you watched auburn-sc instead of an FCS playoff game? Not me. Watched UNH, asu then sfa then ewu......but I know we are a small group. No way do I watch the cotton bowl. does not interest me.

xnodxxnodx

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM

I bet most people in Frisco wont be rooting for anything because they most are not aware of the game

MaximumBobcat
December 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I live in Fort Worth and I haven't heard a peep from anyone around the office/on the news/advertisements about the FCS NC game.

Quite a bit of buzz about the Aggies and the Tigers in the Cotton Bowl tho.

biggie
December 7th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Not saying its not an issue, but its also not going to be very much different than the cost to a lot of fans to get to Chatty. I gaurantee Montana fans spent more than $500 each to get to Chatty.

And BTW, lets just call it it what it is - the move to Chatty really hurts one group of fans - App State. Granted they are probably the biggest fan base in FCS, but still, for the vast majority of fans the move to Chatty does nothing.
Hurts anyone on the East Coast. Still cheaper and possible from the NE to drive to Chatty, doubt anyone would drive from NE to TX. Any team in GA, NC, SC, VA was a pretty easy drive, not just ASU fans.

henfan
December 7th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I completely disagree with that first statement. ASU/GSU would still be #1 of all the remaining combos. GSU fans travel, better than just about any other team I've seen. And that includes Delaware. I was at the 2007 title game and really thought UD would have brought more than they did.

GSU would NOT bring more to TX than UD. No way, no how. GSU fans travel well to Boone, Chatty and SoCon destinations but they didn't bring crap up to Newark either time they played up here. Frisco is a flight, not a short car ride, from Statesboro.

As for '07 and the number of UD fans there, it would have been difficult to get more at Finley given the lack of tickets available by Saturday prior to the game and the foul up by the UD AD in requesting so few seats.

Should we be lucky enough to make it to Frisco, UD fans will outnumber any of the remaining schools, with the possible exception of ASU.

FargoBison
December 7th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I don't really mean to question you on this, but I had looked from a number of cities recently (close to schools still in it) and was able to put packages together on Kayak much cheaper. So I did it for Baltimore as well:

Flights - $460 ($230 each on American non-stop) - flying in Thursday night and out Saturday.
Cars - $62 total (compact)
Hotel - $200 total ($98 a night at Holiday Inn
Tickets - $75 (with taxes included)
Total cost - $797

Add $200 for food and drink and your still under $1000.

On priceline two play can fly to Dallas from DC and stay at a decent hotel(2 nights) and get a rental car for about $550-650 total for two people. So yeah it isn't too bad.

FargoBison
December 7th, 2010, 01:48 PM
GSU would NOT bring more to TX than UD. No way, no how. GSU fans travel well to Boone, Chatty and SoCon destinations but they didn't bring crap up to Newark either time they played up here. Frisco is a flight, not a short car ride, from Statesboro.

As for '07 and the number of UD fans there, it would have been difficult to get more at Finley given the lack of tickets available by Saturday prior to the game and the foul up by the UD AD in requesting so few seats.

Should we be lucky enough to make it to Frisco, UD fans will outnumber any of the remaining schools, with the possible exception of ASU.

I wouldn't count out NDSU if we are lucky enough to make it that far. We brought over 1k to Bozeman and that is just a few hours closer to Fargo than Dallas. We have a decent amount of alumni in Texas as well.

hippy@GSU
December 7th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Delaware (19,805)
NDSU (15,944)
GSU (17,627)

Where did you get those numbers? I'm fairly certain that GSU averaged over 19,000 this year.

biggie
December 7th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Where did you get those numbers? I'm fairly certain that GSU averaged over 19,000 this year.
He may have been averaging in playoff game or something. See as ASU was just under 30k for this year as well.

danefan
December 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

biggie
December 7th, 2010, 02:12 PM
As suspected, those do include playoff games.

hippy@GSU
December 7th, 2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks! Sadly, that takes into account the 10,000 attendance figure from the SC State game. If you were there, you'd see that the actual attendance seemed to match that of some of our bigger games. There was a large discussion on gsufans regarding the apparent fuzzy math used in the figures. Someone mentioned that student tickets only count as a certain percentage of regular tickets, and that may have led to the shockingly low total.

Whatever the case, it doesn't really matter. NDSU, GSU, App, and UD are the top attendance grabbers in the current set of teams. Hopefully, for the sake of FCS, two of those teams will make it to the game.

Biggie, you can get that "Mountain Math" out of here!xlolx

Milktruck74
December 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Delaware (19,805)
NDSU (15,944)
GSU (17,627)

The flaw in you logic is this is home attendance. Home attendance doesn't always translate to traveling well. Appy Boys cant put that many miles on their Mules, and GSU fans have trouble walking on game day, not to mention driving... I'm just sayin'.

danefan
December 7th, 2010, 02:35 PM
The flaw in you logic is this is home attendance. Home attendance doesn't always translate to traveling well. Appy Boys cant put that many miles on their Mules, and GSU fans have trouble walking on game day, not to mention driving... I'm just sayin'.

Of course its not perfect, but the point is the teams you'd expect to have the largest travelling fanbases will also have the largest home attendance.

boonegoon
December 7th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I also think with the down economy and all there may be some travel broke folks out there. The best case scenario for a large crowd is an App/ Delaware final. They have are the highest seeds that wouldn't have to travel before the championship game. Some of us can't go to/ travel to more than one game and IF EWU travels to Boone and wins. That is a hard thing to swing except for the likes of Colin Cowherd.

biggie
December 7th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I also think with the down economy and all there may be some travel broke folks out there. The best case scenario for a large crowd is an App/ Delaware final. They have are the highest seeds that wouldn't have to travel before the championship game. Some of us can't go to/ travel to more than one game and IF EWU travels to Boone and wins. That is a hard thing to swing except for the likes of Colin Cowherd.
Even with App/Del final, I don't see much over 10k at the due to the economy. I plan on trying to make it if App is in, but finding a cheap way is almost impossible. 18 hrs one way with breaking it up is hard, but wouldn't be able to afford the 2 extra hotel nights, sleeping in a car wouldn't be fun.