PDA

View Full Version : Of the final 8 teams...

mcveyrl
December 6th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Which would not have made a 16 team field? POLL COMING

The bottom four at-larges were (alphabetically):

GSU
NDSU
SCSU
WIU

So you really have to look at whether GSU and NDSU would've made it over the other two? I said elsewhere that I think the committee takes a 3rd SoCon over the rest and a second MVFC over SCSU, so the issue, for me, is whether NDSU gets in over WIU.

What say you?

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I think the 4 teams who would've been out of the 16 team field would've been CCU, RMU, NDSU, and SCSU. I think WIU would've been in over NDSU and GSU would've been in over SCSU as the last 2 in and first 2 out.

Milktruck74
December 6th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Wasn't CCU an AQ?

The 16/20 teams that make the playoffs are not always the best 16/20 teams at the end of the year. in a field of 16 GSU and NDSU would have been on the outside looking in, and they are clearly better than many teams (at least 2) in the playoffs.

I can think of several teams that are probably Top 20 teams that didn't make the field of 20... Elon, JMU, maybe Chattanooga too.

mcveyrl
December 6th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Wasn't CCU an AQ?

The 16/20 teams that make the playoffs are not always the best 16/20 teams at the end of the year. in a field of 16 GSU and NDSU would have been on the outside looking in, and they are clearly better than many teams (at least 2) in the playoffs.

I can think of several teams that are probably Top 20 teams that didn't make the field of 20... Elon, JMU, maybe Chattanooga too.

Yea, I think his point was that CCU and RMU as the new AQs would've been left out. The gist of his comment was that the last two ALs would've been GSU and WIU in a 16 team field.

Skjellyfetti
December 6th, 2010, 01:08 PM
GSU would have been in, imo.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Yea, I think his point was that CCU and RMU as the new AQs would've been left out. The gist of his comment was that the last two ALs would've been GSU and WIU in a 16 team field.

What he said xpeacex

emilimo701
December 6th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I think SC State and Western Illinois would have gotten the snub.

heath
December 6th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I think SC State and Western Illinois would have gotten the snub.

Took the words out of my mouth,most said SC state had no business,and Western Illinous got in with their last win

Mr. C
December 6th, 2010, 08:01 PM
The last team in was North Dakota State (straight from a committee member's mouth, by one vote over Liberty). I was led to believe that Western Illinois was the next to last selection.

emilimo701
December 6th, 2010, 08:05 PM
The last team in was North Dakota State (straight from a committee member's mouth, by one vote over Liberty). I was led to believe that Western Illinois was the next to last selection.

Makes sense. WIU beat NDSU after all

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Please don't try to interject facts into this discussion... :)

That's interesting about WIU. I would've thought that a second MVFC would get in over a second MEAC based on SOS, but I would be wrong (although it would be difficult to argue the inclusion of a 9-2 team over a 7-4 team)

HandoEX
December 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Western Illinois would have definately got in before NDSU, imo. They won the head to head, had the same record, and a better spot in the GPI.

Mr. C
December 7th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Western Illinois would have definately got in before NDSU, imo. They won the head to head, had the same record, and a better spot in the GPI.
Like I said, North Dakota State was definitely the 20th team in the field. And it appears Western Illinois was 19.

Mr. C
December 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Please don't try to interject facts into this discussion... :)

That's interesting about WIU. I would've thought that a second MVFC would get in over a second MEAC based on SOS, but I would be wrong (although it would be difficult to argue the inclusion of a 9-2 team over a 7-4 team)

Believe it. I kept telling people all along that South Carolina State was solidly in the field at 9-2. They made an impact with their play the previous two years in the playoffs. The Bulldogs were also ranked higher than WIU by a long shot in ALL polls and were co-champs in the MEAC.

MacThor
December 10th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Believe it. I kept telling people all along that South Carolina State was solidly in the field at 9-2. They made an impact with their play the previous two years in the playoffs. The Bulldogs were also ranked higher than WIU by a long shot in ALL polls and were co-champs in the MEAC.

And still not a quality win for the whole conference since the Clinton administration.