PDA

View Full Version : Well done Lehigh

Fordham
December 5th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Way to represent the PL!

Rooting for UD from here on out.

carney2
December 6th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I was a bit conflicted about the ChickenSquawks' playoff performance until I finally concluded that conflicted is exactly what I/we need at this point. I begin by pointing out that by conflicted, I do not intend any anti-Squawks bias, although I have plenty of that. What I mean is that the Patriot League desperately needed a playoff win and the Brown-Waste-Material provided one - and over one of the generally acknowledged FCS big kids. What the Patriot League also needed was another domination by a top FCS team so that the anti-scholarship crowd could not acquire some last minute ammunition to argue that the status quo is good enough. The Squawks also provided that, as Delaware made it an unwatchable non-contest sometime in the second quarter. Thank you, FeatherHeads. You gave us our cake and we got to eat it too.

Side Judge
December 6th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I was a bit conflicted about the ChickenSquawks' playoff performance until I finally concluded that conflicted is exactly what I/we need at this point. I begin by pointing out that by conflicted, I do not intend any anti-Squawks bias, although I have plenty of that. What I mean is that the Patriot League desperately needed a playoff win and the Brown-Waste-Material provided one - and over one of the generally acknowledged FCS big kids. What the Patriot League also needed was another domination by a top FCS team so that the anti-scholarship crowd could not acquire some last minute ammunition to argue that the status quo is good enough. The Squawks also provided that, as Delaware made it an unwatchable non-contest sometime in the second quarter. Thank you, FeatherHeads. You gave us our cake and we got to eat it too.

I was at the game - Chris Lum had a great game against one of the best secondaries in FCS football. Lehigh's lack of defensive speed and ultimately lack of defensive depth allowed the Hens to run away with the game in the 2nd half, but up until Walter's interception at the end of the 1st half it was a well-played tight game.

But yes, those brown uniforms - yeesh...

Kramden
December 6th, 2010, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=carney2;1596249]I was a bit conflicted about the ChickenSquawks' playoff performance until I finally concluded that conflicted is exactly what I/we need at this point. I begin by pointing out that by conflicted, I do not intend any anti-Squawks bias, although I have plenty of that. What I mean is that the Patriot League desperately needed a playoff win and the Brown-Waste-Material provided one - and over one of the generally acknowledged FCS big kids. What the Patriot League also needed was another domination by a top FCS team so that the anti-scholarship crowd could not acquire some last minute ammunition to argue that the status quo is good enough. The Squawks also provided that, as Delaware made it an unwatchable non-contest sometime in the second quarter. Thank you, FeatherHeads. You gave us our cake and we got to eat it too

I was proud of Lehigh but have to admit, selfishly I did not want them to play too competitive a game until the Shollies decision is completed.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2010, 01:27 PM
TheFan, how could you only have 337 posts in a week? xlolx

carney2
December 6th, 2010, 06:19 PM
carney2, could you possibly remind us at what point in the second quarter the game became an "unwatchable non-contest" with Delaware?

The part where it was 14-13 or the part where it was 21-13 with Lehigh driving close to the Delaware 20 yard line with about a minute left in the half?

For those of you who only watch the scoreboard, I'm sure it was a competitive game at the half. For those of us who actually watched the game, the inequities in the trenches were obvious long before the final whistle. Even Rackley had his hands full most of the time.

cowboy91
December 6th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Even Rackley had his hands full most of the time.

Full of a defensive end's jersey, yes.

Attila the Hen
December 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM
You PL fans keep talking about scholarships but I think you're missing an even bigger disadvantage-- redshirting. Other than a few medical exceptions you are effectively trying to compete with no 5th yr seniors. Most of your players might play special teams as a true frosh but are essentially leaving a year of eligibility on the table. Huge problem there.

Bogus Megapardus
December 6th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Three hands tied behind PL backs - no scholarships, redshirting prohibited, and restrictive academic index. I doubt they'll untie more than one of those hands at a time.

The financial rationale for the redshirting prohibition (making a kid pay for a fifth year) will disappear with scholarships. I know that the schools wish to maintain their four-year graduation statistics, however, so I suspect the rule will remain. The academic index, of course, will never go away.

ngineer
December 6th, 2010, 10:33 PM
You PL fans keep talking about scholarships but I think you're missing an even bigger disadvantage-- redshirting. Other than a few medical exceptions you are effectively trying to compete with no 5th yr seniors. Most of your players might play special teams as a true frosh but are essentially leaving a year of eligibility on the table. Huge problem there.

Andy Coen stressed this in the interview when asked about scholarships. I think, if given a choice, some of the HC's would take redshirting over schollies, or at least take less schollies in exchange for some redshirting. It is amazing how some guys can grow in that extra year (both physically and maturity wise).

ngineer
December 6th, 2010, 10:34 PM
For those of you who only watch the scoreboard, I'm sure it was a competitive game at the half. For those of us who actually watched the game, the inequities in the trenches were obvious long before the final whistle. Even Rackley had his hands full most of the time.

Keeler called Rackley one of the best Offensive Linemen they faced all year.

Franks Tanks
December 7th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Keeler called Rackley one of the best Offensive Linemen they faced all year.

Rackley is good, but he did have a bit of trouble with the outside rush at times by the Hens DE. It will be interesting to see if he will get drafted.

cowboy91
December 7th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Lum's protection broke down enough to have him throw some incomplete passes.

Not getting sacks doesn't necessarily mean you didn't get any pressure on the QB and force him into some bad decisions.

carney2
December 7th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Rackley is good, but he did have a bit of trouble with the outside rush at times by the Hens DE. It will be interesting to see if he will get drafted.

The TV guys mentioned that he is projected as a 6th or 7th rounder.

Franks Tanks
December 7th, 2010, 03:45 PM
The TV guys mentioned that he is projected as a 6th or 7th rounder.

One site I looked up said 6th or 7th round and another said free agent. He will be in a NFL camp either way.

ngineer
December 7th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Just an aside. I saw Matt Cohen at the Tub last Saturday. He will be playing for the new arena football team that will be playing at Stabler Arena next year. Still hoping to get noticed. I guess as along as he is physically able to do so, chasing the brass ring of the NFL, he will keep his dream alive. I just think he's too small at that level. Tis a shame, because he certainly has the heart.

heath
December 7th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Just an aside. I saw Matt Cohen at the Tub last Saturday. He will be playing for the new arena football team that will be playing at Stabler Arena next year. Still hoping to get noticed. I guess as along as he is physically able to do so, chasing the brass ring of the NFL, he will keep his dream alive. I just think he's too small at that level. Tis a shame, because he certainly has the heart.

Needs to take his LU degree and put it to work rather than chasing a dream,unless he can't find a job in this economy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Hopefully Rackley gets drafted. My guess is that he and the OT from 'Nova will end up being the 1st team AA tackles?

Already looking forward to next year. There's a lot of young talent on this team that should begin to flourish next year. Hopefully this season will bring back those who have lost interest in the program the last few years. Next years home schedule is great which should help as well.

The biggest losses are going to be Rackley, Pierce, Kennedy and Clerge imo. Pierce might be the fastest LB i've seen at Lehigh.

MplsBison
December 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM

Excuse me for butting into an academic elite discussion, but NDSU has been playing quite well in the playoffs so far with some pretty big time help coming from not only 2nd year players, but true freshmen (two on the starting OL!!!). Obviously that's the pendulum swinging the other way and is quite rare, even for the best recruiting football teams in the college football nation. But...this year, they are what they are.

Guess the point is, after this season I don't buy into the whole "wait until he's been in the system for a few years" philosophy as much as I did. If a player is a player, it should be fairly evident even right out of high school. 'Play em' early' is my new motto.

xtwocentsx

MplsBison
December 7th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Three hands tied behind PL backs - no scholarships, redshirting prohibited, and restrictive academic index. I doubt they'll untie more than one of those hands at a time.

The financial rationale for the redshirting prohibition (making a kid pay for a fifth year) will disappear with scholarships. I know that the schools wish to maintain their four-year graduation statistics, however, so I suspect the rule will remain. The academic index, of course, will never go away.

Never is a strong word and the PL schools aren't as strong, academically, as some schools that don't have such a thing (UAA schools, for example).

fball27
December 7th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Never is a strong word and the PL schools aren't as strong, academically, as some schools that don't have such a thing (UAA schools, for example).

UAA is division III.

MplsBison
December 8th, 2010, 02:07 AM
UAA is division III.

So you're telling me that the PL presidents wouldn't think twice about throwing the AI to the wind, so long as the conference was DIII? Come on now...

ngineer
December 8th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Needs to take his LU degree and put it to work rather than chasing a dream,unless he can't find a job in this economy.

Actually, Cohen is using his degree in Accounting working for a Lehigh Valley firm. He's still working out, however, and has signed a contract with the Steelhawks for 2011. I would imagine he has flexibility in his schedule to do both.

ngineer
December 8th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hopefully Rackley gets drafted. My guess is that he and the OT from 'Nova will end up being the 1st team AA tackles?

Already looking forward to next year. There's a lot of young talent on this team that should begin to flourish next year. Hopefully this season will bring back those who have lost interest in the program the last few years. Next years home schedule is great which should help as well.

The biggest losses are going to be Rackley, Pierce, Kennedy and Clerge imo. Pierce might be the fastest LB i've seen at Lehigh.

Obviously the theme of another thread in the future, but I think being able to reload the OL will be #1 priority with an eye toward strengthening the running game. We have two very good RBs next year in Barket and Sherman. Just need some hole-openers. Defense not as big a problem. 3 LBs return and an entire 3 upfront who saw starting time. Secondary is totally replaced, but the likely successors saw significant playing time. D is a lot easier to reload than O.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Obviously the theme of another thread in the future, but I think being able to reload the OL will be #1 priority with an eye toward strengthening the running game. We have two very good RBs next year in Barket and Sherman. Just need some hole-openers. Defense not as big a problem. 3 LBs return and an entire 3 upfront who saw starting time. Secondary is totally replaced, but the likely successors saw significant playing time. D is a lot easier to reload than O.

I'll probably have an "off-season needs" blog posting up real soon, but I'm not as concerned about the secondary either as you might think. I think CB Bryan Andrews has a chance to be an all-Patriot League player next year - he'll step right in at starting corner without a problem - and there's surprising depth there, too, with Littlejohn stepping in as well at safety.

I think the biggest need area is unquestionably in special teams. The No. 1 PL kickoff return guy, the No. 1 PL punt return guy, the starting kicker and even the long snapper (John Venerio) graduate. It will be a near-clean slate on special teams, which is scary.

Franks Tanks
December 8th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Actually, Cohen is using his degree in Accounting working for a Lehigh Valley firm. He's still working out, however, and has signed a contract with the Steelhawks for 2011. I would imagine he has flexibility in his schedule to do both.

Man those Steelhawks are a joke. They advertised that they signed some reciever with some crazy 40 time-- his 40 would have been faster than Bolt. I am sure that was legit. They also advertised team try outs and actually charged people to try out for the team. I have never heard of such a thing. Cohen was a very good players and may be the best player on that sorry team. They also signed a Lafayette LB who graduated last year (I can't remember his name). Hopefully these young men don't let this get in the way of their day jobs.

Lehigh74
December 8th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Does anyone know if Phil Winnett is considering returning for a 5th year? He is certainly eligible since he missed two full seasons with injuries.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Does anyone know if Phil Winnett is considering returning for a 5th year? He is certainly eligible since he missed two full seasons with injuries.

Last I heard, I thought he was, but I'm not sure. FB Bryce Arruda is definitely coming back. Not sure of anyone else, though.

fball27
December 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM
So you're telling me that the PL presidents wouldn't think twice about throwing the AI to the wind, so long as the conference was DIII? Come on now...

How you came to interpret my post this way is mind boggling. Division III isn't Division I, the PL presidents aren't getting rid of the AI.

MplsBison
December 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
How you came to interpret my post this way is mind boggling. Division III isn't Division I, the PL presidents aren't getting rid of the AI.

That's the only way your response could be interpreted, with the constraint that your response had to be a logical sequitor to my post.

Obviously then, you intended a non-sequitor response - as is so typical of most AGS responses.

The point was that PL presidents blindly believe that an AI makes right - perhaps they believe they'll be vindicated in the afterlife? Who knows. I contend that it would not matter if the PL was DIII, DII, DI, NAIA, NJCAA or perhaps even if they belonged to some Canadaian association...they would force an AI on their members out of tradition and faith to such principles.

I then provided an example of a conference, whose schools are academic superiors to the PL schools, that does not institute an AI. Yet, do you suppose some thug moron is being admitted to the Univ of Chicago or Washington-St Louis because he can run a 4.2 40? Laughable.

Bogus Megapardus
December 8th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I never heard of the Steelhawks until now. If they outdraw Lafayette & Lehigh, we're definitely doing something wrong in local marketing (notwithstanding the stand-up lifelike Coach Tavani cutouts in the supermarket). What's the capacity of Stabler for indoor football?

Franks Tanks
December 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I never heard of the Steelhawks until now. If they outdraw Lafayette & Lehigh, we're definitely doing something wrong in local marketing (notwithstanding the stand-up lifelike Coach Tavani cutouts in the supermarket). What's the capacity of Stabler for indoor football?

The Lehigh Vally Outlawz (sic) played in Stabler for a few years and went broke when the economy tanked. Literally nobody went to their games. I was once offered free tickets and declined to stay at home on my couch. The Iron Pigs draw well as a family attraction. The Outlawz and now the Steelhawks choose to promote slutty dance teams and that sort of vibe and seemed to cather more toward the young male crowd. Not sure if that will work, and they may be better served with the family atmosphere strategy.

Franks Tanks
December 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM
That's the only way your response could be interpreted, with the constraint that your response had to be a logical sequitor to my post.

Obviously then, you intended a non-sequitor response - as is so typical of most AGS responses.

The point was that PL presidents blindly believe that an AI makes right - perhaps they believe they'll be vindicated in the afterlife? Who knows. I contend that it would not matter if the PL was DIII, DII, DI, NAIA, NJCAA or perhaps even if they belonged to some Canadaian association...they would force an AI on their members out of tradition and faith to such principles.

I then provided an example of a conference, whose schools are academic superiors to the PL schools, that does not institute an AI. Yet, do you suppose some thug moron is being admitted to the Univ of Chicago or Washington-St Louis because he can run a 4.2 40? Laughable.

UA schools dont give any special breaks for student-athlete admissions. The athletes apply just like every other student so the concept of an AI is totally non-applicable. Despite the AI the PL still give athletes preferential treamment in admissions.

Bogus Megapardus
December 8th, 2010, 03:44 PM
promote slutty dance teams and that sort of vibe and seemed to cater more toward the young male crowd.

Ahh, yes, I see that now, Tanks.

http://lvsteelhawks.com/images/stories/danceteam/Amanda.jpg

Think it will work? xrolleyesx

http://www.lvsteelhawks.com/dance-team.html

MplsBison
December 8th, 2010, 08:40 PM
UA schools dont give any special breaks for student-athlete admissions. The athletes apply just like every other student so the concept of an AI is totally non-applicable. Despite the AI the PL still give athletes preferential treamment in admissions.

This is exactly the post I wanted, thank you. You've (unwittingly) cut the legs off the AI.

The correct and proper way for student-athlete admissions to be handled is...leave it to each school's admissions department! xhurrayx

If an individual school's admissions dept wants to deny any student athlete admission unless they meet the academic standards of the school, then so be it. If another individual school's admissions dept will allow student athletes to be admitted, even though they aren't good enough academically, then so be it. As you so aptly put it, "the concept of an AI is totally non-applicable". Never was in the first place. Thanks for helping to demonstrate that.

ngineer
December 8th, 2010, 09:06 PM

I would estimate the football capacity would be 4,450 as the pullout blue sections, I assume will be rolled in. Those sections, combined are 1,250. The Arena for basketball seats 5,600. More for wrestling as they allow the students out onto the floor up close to the mat.

ngineer
December 8th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Yes, Winnett has indicated he plans to return next year. No question he'll get a medical redshirt when he applies.

ngineer
December 8th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I'll probably have an "off-season needs" blog posting up real soon, but I'm not as concerned about the secondary either as you might think. I think CB Bryan Andrews has a chance to be an all-Patriot League player next year - he'll step right in at starting corner without a problem - and there's surprising depth there, too, with Littlejohn stepping in as well at safety.

I think the biggest need area is unquestionably in special teams. The No. 1 PL kickoff return guy, the No. 1 PL punt return guy, the starting kicker and even the long snapper (John Venerio) graduate. It will be a near-clean slate on special teams, which is scary.

I think Peery can be okay as a kicker. He actually has a stronger leg than Randazza. We also recruited a long snapper last year anticipating Veniero's graduation. Potential KR and PR may well be a couple of super fast frosh who saw very limited time this year. One is listed as a WR. OL is #1 priority for 2011.

Franks Tanks
December 9th, 2010, 08:11 AM
This is exactly the post I wanted, thank you. You've (unwittingly) cut the legs off the AI.

The correct and proper way for student-athlete admissions to be handled is...leave it to each school's admissions department! xhurrayx

If an individual school's admissions dept wants to deny any student athlete admission unless they meet the academic standards of the school, then so be it. If another individual school's admissions dept will allow student athletes to be admitted, even though they aren't good enough academically, then so be it. As you so aptly put it, "the concept of an AI is totally non-applicable". Never was in the first place. Thanks for helping to demonstrate that.

No dumbass you are incorrect again. The AI concept is non-applicable for schools that give no preferential teatment for athletic applications. The admissions department at Chicago doesn't care if the applicant is an athlete. They have to be accepted like every other student.

PL schools have a different set of admissions standards for athletes, and the AI governs the admissions of athletes. If the PL operated like the University of Chicago with athletic admissions far fewer recruits would get in. The AI is helping kids get into school.

MplsBison
December 9th, 2010, 08:40 AM
No dumbass you are incorrect again. The AI concept is non-applicable for schools that give no preferential teatment for athletic applications. The admissions department at Chicago doesn't care if the applicant is an athlete. They have to be accepted like every other student.

PL schools have a different set of admissions standards for athletes, and the AI governs the admissions of athletes. If the PL operated like the University of Chicago with athletic admissions far fewer recruits would get in. The AI is helping kids get into school.

Too late Franks, the damage was done. I appreciate your desperate attempt to save the AI, but it's over. I never said anything about getting kids into schools. I said that individual school admissions departments should be in complete control over who gets in and who doesn't. If any such department wants to install their own sliding scale or other arbitrary criteria for "helping" student-athletes get admitted, that is their prerogative. The conference has no rightful say in that. Thanks again for helping me make my point, Franks.

Franks Tanks
December 9th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Too late Franks, the damage was done. I appreciate your desperate attempt to save the AI, but it's over. I never said anything about getting kids into schools. I said that individual school admissions departments should be in complete control over who gets in and who doesn't. If any such department wants to install their own sliding scale or other arbitrary criteria for "helping" student-athletes get admitted, that is their prerogative. The conference has no rightful say in that. Thanks again for helping me make my point, Franks.

I really don't care. I don't care about the AI a whole lot, and I don't know why I even respond to you. I am not even arguing with you, just pointing out that your understanding is incorrect.

MplsBison
December 9th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I really don't care. I don't care about the AI a whole lot, and I don't know why I even respond to you. I am not even arguing with you, just pointing out that your understanding is incorrect.

Thanks again

Franks Tanks
December 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks again

You don't even have a point, so for you to imply that I am somehow supporting your point is ludacris.

Seawolf97
December 9th, 2010, 03:57 PM
TheFan, how could you only have 337 posts in a week? xlolx

FCS Football junkie ?xsmileyclapx

RichH2
December 9th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Needs. OL is by far #1 priority followed by DL. After that I do not see major gaps , Hope staff goes for speed and best athlete no matter what position. Special teams sb OK we've taken a K most every year with Andy so I expect he will add another. Doubt Andy will change his recruitig strategy very much. He seems to recruit balanced classes covering all positions for the most part. Early list ( far from set in stone) seems to show a lot of qbs , not many lbs or LM as of yet

MplsBison
December 9th, 2010, 06:53 PM
You don't even have a point, so for you to imply that I am somehow supporting your point is ludacris.

I thought you didn't want to argue? The point you made fully supports my argument, whether you want it to or not.

Per your description, "non-applicable" describes the AI perfectly in the case of the Patriot League.

heath
December 9th, 2010, 07:07 PM

DING<DING<DING.............we now have a winner!.FWIW, the ACC has regulations and standards for ALL recruits,but a UVA may have higher standards for admissions for their student athletes,thus they struggle to compete in football and basketball but not the other sports.

Bogus Megapardus
December 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM
All of this makes perfect sense (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?40233-Official-MplsBison-Rant-and-Re-direct-Page/page6). xnodx

No_Skill
December 9th, 2010, 07:22 PM

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The first is never get involved in a land war in Asia. The second, only slightly less well known, is this: never respond to MplsBison...ever!

Bogus Megapardus
December 9th, 2010, 07:37 PM
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The first is never get involved in a land war in Asia. The second, only slightly less well known, is this: never respond to MplsBison...ever!

I believe Tanks spent the last few years building up an immunity to Bisocane powder.

ngineer
December 9th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Needs. OL is by far #1 priority followed by DL. After that I do not see major gaps , Hope staff goes for speed and best athlete no matter what position. Special teams sb OK we've taken a K most every year with Andy so I expect he will add another. Doubt Andy will change his recruitig strategy very much. He seems to recruit balanced classes covering all positions for the most part. Early list ( far from set in stone) seems to show a lot of qbs , not many lbs or LM as of yet

Definitely needs some new QBs in the mix. While we "appear" to be set for at least the next two years with Lum and Colvin, that "depth" is depleted quite quickly with just on 'bad' sack. Not sure how the frosh from Arizona looked this year in the JV games?

RichH2
December 10th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Last report I could find was Milford. He and Trace split time. BB did very well.