PDA

View Full Version : Payton Finalists

Saint3333
December 5th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Yesterday:

2 TD, 8 INTs

Rough day.

Yes I know ballots were in before these games, but all three had subpar passing days. DP did have his best rushing performance of the season.

TrueBlueHen
December 5th, 2010, 08:57 AM
The BEST QB in the FCS & REAL WINNER of this Award had a FINE day!! 19 of 26 for 256 yards with 4 TD & NO INTS!!!

Good Job Pat Devlin!!!

ChattTown Mountaineer
December 5th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I love how putting things in ALL CAPS makes it TRUE. Everyone should TRY IT. I want a PONY FOR CHRISTMAS.

he he.

theasushow
December 5th, 2010, 07:52 PM
to be fair, the weather in Boone made for horrible passing conditions...so DP took over with his legs, Barr doesn't have the mobility to do that. Plus, WIU got so far down that they HAD to try and pass the ball to get back in the game.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 5th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Yesterday:

2 TD, 8 INTs

Rough day.

Yes I know ballots were in before these games, but all three had subpar passing days. DP did have his best rushing performance of the season.

Moses looked great early on. If he could keep that pace through an entire game against a skilled opponent he'd be an NFL draft pick easily. Whatever happened in the second quarter completely took the wind out of SFA's sails though, and the team that played the second half didn't look anything like the team that played the first quarter.

smallcollegefbfan
December 5th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Moses looked great early on. If he could keep that pace through an entire game against a skilled opponent he'd be an NFL draft pick easily. Whatever happened in the second quarter completely took the wind out of SFA's sails though, and the team that played the second half didn't look anything like the team that played the first quarter.

Moses is too small and lacks the arm strength to be a draft pick. Devlin however is going to be a 3rd-5th round based on what I'm hearing now.

Mr. C
December 6th, 2010, 08:27 PM
The BEST QB in the FCS & REAL WINNER of this Award had a FINE day!! 19 of 26 for 256 yards with 4 TD & NO INTS!!!

Good Job Pat Devlin!!!

Have to agree Pat Devlin is BY FAR the top QB in FCS (hey, even K.C. Keeler thinks so). Unfortunately, what is left of the voting panel is mostly concerned with stats than performance. I wonder how many of the voters even saw all 20 candidates play this season?

Mr. C
December 6th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Moses is too small and lacks the arm strength to be a draft pick. Devlin however is going to be a 3rd-5th round based on what I'm hearing now.

Moses also has poor mechanics (he throws the ball from a very low arm-slot, for one thing). He also has arm strength that is typical of a lot of FCS QBs who have been stars in the past decade. He isn't likely to even get in an NFL tryout camp from what my sources are telling me.

'Gate93
December 6th, 2010, 09:05 PM
to be fair, the weather in Boone made for horrible passing conditions...

I suppose the same thing happened to WIU in 2003 :p

PhoenixMan
December 7th, 2010, 03:23 PM
When I read your post, my immediate thought was BS...3rd-5th round? However, what I read said 3rd round or possibly higher. First FCS QB taken without a doubt. Didn't know he was that good to be honest.

smallcollegefbfan
December 7th, 2010, 03:27 PM
When I read your post, my immediate thought was BS...3rd-5th round? However, what I read said 3rd round or possibly higher. First FCS QB taken without a doubt. Didn't know he was that good to be honest.

Yes 3rd-5th round. NFL teams have taken notice. I believe he ends up in the 4th or 5th round when all is said and done but wouldn't be shocked if he climbed a little higher. He is better than Skelton from last year as far as skills. If he had Skelton's arm strength he would be a top 40 pick.

smallcollegefbfan
December 7th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Moses also has poor mechanics (he throws the ball from a very low arm-slot, for one thing). He also has arm strength that is typical of a lot of FCS QBs who have been stars in the past decade. He isn't likely to even get in an NFL tryout camp from what my sources are telling me.

I think your sources are right. I talked to one regional scout who told me Moses was a complete reject as a prospect and likely won't get any looks in the postseason. Where on the other hand eyes will be on Riddle and Devlin to see what they can really do up close and in person.

Mr. C
December 7th, 2010, 09:12 PM
The things that are impressive about Devlin are his touch (one of the best QBs in this regard that I have ever seen at FCS), his character and his leadership ability. He is a real nice kid and made a huge impact very quickly at Delaware, as much off the field as one it. He is also very smart and will pick up NFL stuff quickly. And to be honest, there are not many NFL-caliber QBs at the FBS level again this year.

Mr. C
December 7th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I suppose the same thing happened to WIU in 2003 :p

Actually, I remember Russ Michna playing his butt off for WIU in that blizzard game against Colgate. What a warrior he was. Michna is still playing pro ball, BTW, something I'd be surprised if Matt Barr does.

ChattTown Mountaineer
December 8th, 2010, 08:44 AM
He isn't likely to even get in an NFL tryout camp from what my sources are telling me.

Man, I wish I had sources.

Mr. C, forgive my ignorance, but what team wears your red and black helmet?

smallcollegefbfan
December 8th, 2010, 09:08 AM
The things that are impressive about Devlin are his touch (one of the best QBs in this regard that I have ever seen at FCS), his character and his leadership ability. He is a real nice kid and made a huge impact very quickly at Delaware, as much off the field as one it. He is also very smart and will pick up NFL stuff quickly. And to be honest, there are not many NFL-caliber QBs at the FBS level again this year.

Funny thing is there are a lot of really good QBs in FBS this year but not many that will last in the NFL. In fact, mark my words one or more of this group will be a complete bust in the NFL: Cam Neton, Ryan Mallett, and Colin Kaepernick. I will guarantee it. I actually believe two of the three will likely be a bust more than just one. Devlin should do fine in the NFL. Doubtful he is a starter, especially early on, but he will be a very good backup who might develop into a starter after three or four years.

PhoenixMan
December 8th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Funny thing is there are a lot of really good QBs in FBS this year but not many that will last in the NFL. In fact, mark my words one or more of this group will be a complete bust in the NFL: Cam Neton, Ryan Mallett, and Colin Kaepernick. I will guarantee it. I actually believe two of the three will likely be a bust more than just one. Devlin should do fine in the NFL. Doubtful he is a starter, especially early on, but he will be a very good backup who might develop into a starter after three or four years.

Newton is the best COLLEGE QB I have seen in a long time. However, I don't know that he will be successful as an NFL QB. I doubt it. I hope some of these FCS QBs get good looks in training camps. Devlin is for real, and although I'm certainly biased, I have seen Scott Riddle do some amazing things with arm strength and touch. I know one thing...some of the NFL QB's playing on Sundays right now suck, so there should be some opportunities for rookies.