PDA

View Full Version : The argument is over, it is now official.

AppMan
December 4th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Montana has better fans than ASU.

Many who did show up bolted at the half and a lot more cleared out bigtime in the 3rd quarter. Sad. Very, very sad. DeAndre called out the fans on post game. Said he was disappointed in the crowd when the team went out for warm ups, but thought everyone was just trying to keep warm until the game started. He was really disappointed when they took the field for the game. Good for you DeAmdre!!

VUCats02
December 4th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Or maybe App St has smarter fans. Just because you bolt early doesn't make you not as good of a fan. When you bolt early when the game is already over anyways, not only do you get out of the freezing cold, but you beat all of the traffic and get home fast.

SideLine Shooter
December 4th, 2010, 07:11 PM

Many who did show up bolted at the half and a lot more cleared out bigtime in the 3rd quarter. Sad. Very, very sad. DeAndre called out the fans on post game. Said he was disappointed in the crowd when the team went out for warm ups, but thought everyone was just trying to keep warm until the game started. He was really disappointed when they took the field for the game. Good for you DeAmdre!!

Amen to that.

Dblue
December 4th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Montana has great fans, but so does App. The QB should hope the stands are filled next week, it'll be a tough game.

OldFootballGuy
December 4th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I think it's sad someone would choose to post something like that. I lost a family member in a car wreck traveling from a football game in bad weather. Maybe you'd like to call the family up and tell them how great it was that their son stayed for the whole game and died on the way home.

UNHFan
December 4th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I love this thread!!!! APP STATE!!!! DISGRACE!!!! THough I sit and have a beer or 2 watching you beat Mich.... But today attendance you guys need to get the non student base going

Block-A
December 4th, 2010, 07:35 PM
It's one thing to leave just because you want to beat the traffic, it's another to leave because you know what trying to get from BR to Lenoir in crappy weather is all about...

UNHFan
December 4th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I think it's sad someone would choose to post something like that. I lost a family member in a car wreck traveling from a football game in bad weather. Maybe you'd like to call the family up and tell them how great it was that their son stayed for the whole game and died on the way home.

why do you exist? Sorry for your loss but are you really an adult? I am 47 and enjoy this board? and I know its mostly younger people but you just really made a bad post...call it a night and come back in the AM I think for you

Uncle Rico's Clan
December 4th, 2010, 07:37 PM
App St has great fans and is one of the flagship programs in the FCS. As a Montana fan I know we have great atmosphere most games, but on occasion, for whatever reason, there are games where I feel like the crowd isn't into the game and the atmosphere is lacking. I'm sure the excitement will build each game and the stadium will feel electric as the post season progresses. I can tell you this Griz fan adopted App St. for this postseason and hopes to see you do well.

AppAlum2003
December 4th, 2010, 07:41 PM
It's one thing to leave just because you want to beat the traffic, it's another to leave because you know what trying to get from BR to Lenoir in crappy weather is all about...

Yeah, we left with about 4:00 left in the game because my brother-in-law called me to tell me there were 2 - 3 wrecks on 321 and it was backed up pretty bad. Luckily most of it was cleaned up by the time we got through that area.

AppMan
December 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM
OldFootballGuy I am very sorry for your loss. As a father I can not begin to even comprehend what you must have gone through. Sadly, there are tragic accidents following games played in good weather as well. One can not live their life out of the fear of what might happen. Bad weather games are played each year across this country in packed stadiums. People show up early, stay and enjoy the games to completion and get back to their homes safely. I realize this is an emotional issue for you and completely understand your reaction, but believe your anger is misplaced.

Block A we stayed until the clock struck 0:00 then had dinner before driving almost 2 hours home down 321. The roads were not bad and 20 miles out of Boone they were just wet from rain. My issue has to do with our "fans" who simply do not want to deal with adverse weather conditions. They talk a good game, but many times don't back it up. About 2/3 of the students who normally show up stayed in their dorms today and the reserved section was equally as empty. Pitiful, just pitiful.

SoCon48
December 4th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I thought CC fixed these problems.

PhoenixMan
December 4th, 2010, 09:03 PM
App has great fans, regardless of who did or didn't leave early. If students weren't there, especially those on campus, they should have been. If the game had been close fewer would have left. App was expected to kick WIU's butt, did it, and was in command. Good luck next week...and students, get your butts out there!

Saint3333
December 4th, 2010, 09:07 PM
A night game will help the student turn out. KBS at night under the lights is a thing of beauty

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2010, 09:08 PM
This is the stupidest thread EVER!

And, yes, I was there for the entire game.

Cincy App
December 4th, 2010, 09:10 PM
The roads were not bad and 20 miles out of Boone they were just wet from rain.

The roads were rough today. US 321 towards TN was awful (very icy). In fact, there was a bad accident for someone heading home from the game just in front of me. Boone may get a lot of snow but most of our alumni rarely drive in it. I'll give our fans a pass today. Hopefully weather is better next weekend.

GreatAppSt
December 4th, 2010, 09:10 PM

Hell, I packed up my cold wet stuff and left my seats with 8 mins to play. What do ya got to say about that AppMan?xeyebrowx

But, then it was just the right amount of time I needed to go to the other side of the stadium and high five all the ASU players coming off the field after 00:00.xsmiley_wix

GlassOnion
December 4th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I left with 4 min to go. Im glad I did, because I saw 6 cars wrecked in the 60 miles I drove home, and the snow was coming down as hard as ever. It took me 2 hours 15 min to drive those 60 miles, on roads some wont drive in the best of weather. I sat for 3 1/2 hours in that freezing slop, and yelled myself hoarse, my conscience is clear.

ASU_Fanatic
December 4th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Yeah I sadly agree, I was being called stupid for going and I'm like "That's just football!" I bundled up but really never got miserably cold, my feet got cold but that's because I didn't have any boots lol, definitely picking some up this week for 'Nova. Hopefully we'll have better weather this week and we can get 30,000+ to make up for it, be awesome if it was on ESPN2 as well, FCS needs it. You do have to remember that Montana is used to it more than our fans are, but still there ws no excuse for us to not at least have 20,000 there.

KiddBrewer
December 4th, 2010, 09:43 PM

.....that kind of pisses me off.....i thought we were pretty loud today.....

.....actually, this whole thread kind of pisses me off.....

yea, people left early today, but many had good reasons (as has been mentioned, and apparently some things you didn't consider). i usually do get upset when i see people leaving at halftime on gamedays when the weather is perfect, but today the weather was not perfect, and neither were the roads. the roads would not have been a big problem if there weren't that many people trying to travel on them, and if you haven't noticed, theres a lot of idiots who have driver's licenses and think just cause the roads are slick they don't need to many slow the hell down a bit. if you think about it, leaving a couple minutes early to avoid some of that mess isn't crazy, and doesn't make you a bad fan. safety, IMO was more important today than staying until 'there was 0:00 left' in a 42-14 game just so you can tell everybody you stayed until 'there was 0:00 left' and tell them how their not dedicated to appalachian football.

but, for what its worth (with IMO, isn't much today) i did stay for whole game.

appdude
December 4th, 2010, 09:43 PM

I enjoy reading everyone's post but never provide input myself. This post however motivated me to give my two cents. I think this is so far off base and not well thought out. Consider, the campus is 'on the mountain', the town of Boone has a total of 10,000 people, and most of the people that come to the games make a drive up the mountain. The roads were not only bad in Boone, but quite nasty off the mountain as well. It makes sense that such bad weather and bad driving conditions would have a significant impact on attendance for AppState, a bigger impact than on most other teams. Indeed, you could argue that the fact that our fans make that drive is a sign they are better than others. I know it is disappointing, but let's not make it something that it isn't.

KiddBrewer
December 4th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah I sadly agree, I was being called stupid for going and I'm like "That's just football!" I bundled up but really never got miserably cold, my feet got cold but that's because I didn't have any boots lol, definitely picking some up this week for 'Nova. Hopefully we'll have better weather this week and we can get 30,000+ to make up for it, be awesome if it was on ESPN2 as well, FCS needs it. You do have to remember that Montana is used to it more than our fans are, but still there ws no excuse for us to not at least have 20,000 there.

when's the last time you think we had 20K for a first or second round playoff home game? go ahead, take a guess.....

ASU_Fanatic
December 4th, 2010, 09:49 PM
when's the last time you think we had 20K for a first or second round playoff home game? go ahead, take a guess.....Well good point but that was Thanksgiving and all the students were home. But this was just a smuch of a reason to miss lol

KiddBrewer
December 4th, 2010, 09:52 PM
not just the thanksgiving games...we haven't had 20k at a second game (the week after thanksgiving) either....

AppMan
December 5th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Hell, I packed up my cold wet stuff and left my seats with 8 mins to play. What do ya got to say about that AppMan?xeyebrowx

But, then it was just the right amount of time I needed to go to the other side of the stadium and high five all the ASU players coming off the field after 00:00.xsmiley_wix

You Da Man! Can always count on you to be LOUD & PROUD in the stands. Still can't believe you made it as much as you did whiLe living in Texas! AWESOME!

AppMan
December 5th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Some of you guys are completely missing the point. ASU "fans" like to brag about our rabid fan base and how intimidating The ROCK is. When the weather is fine our "fans" flock to the games. But even then for some unknown reason many leave at the half. The ROCK is intimidating for about the first 30-40 minutes of the game. When the weather gets a little bad (not like yesterday) it's an entirely different story. I am 56 years old, live almost 2 hours from Boone, have been a season ticket holder for 31 years, have never missed a home playoff game, and only left early one time in my life (and only because I was coming down with the flu). I only point that out to prove I not only talk the talk, but walk the walk. I don't expect everyone to be as die hard as me. I simply love Mountaineer Football and want to get all I can during the season. ASU has some great fans, especially the students between the 20's, but we have plenty of whimps as well. Please do not turn this into a "sometimes you have other committments" or I sometimes leave with 4 minutes to go during a blow out deal. I get that. This is about the so called rabid fan base we have. From what I have seen over the years, it is somewhat of a myth.

I am growing weary of all the talk from you ASU FCS diehards about how wonderful and special the playoffs are. Attendance simply does not back it up.

2010: Reg Season Ave 29,450 - 1st round 13,330
2009: Reg Season Ave 25,965 - 1st round 12,216
2008: Reg Season Ave 28,727 - 1st round 13,712, 2nd round 15,215
2007: Reg Season Ave 27,140 - 1st round 14,040, 2nd round 16,947, semi finals 21,140
2006: Reg Season Ave 22,589 - 1st round 16,223, 2nd round 15,116, semi finals 18,040
2005: Reg Season Ave 23,169 - 1st round 6,327, 2nd round 11,108, semi finals 15,307 (for our most hated rival at the time Furman)

In the 9 home playoff games from 1986 until 2002 ASU only broken the 10,000 figure once. That was in 1987 when 14,621 showed up for the semi-finals against Marshall (thanks mostly to Marshall bringing around 5,000 fans). Of course there was the whopping 3,885 that crammed into KBS for the 1st round game against Tenn State in 1998 on a perfect day.

ncguitarplyr
December 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM
If Montana has better fans then why do we have the attendance record...AGAIN

dude it was snowing and for most people it's a several hr drive to the game, can't blame them for not wanting to drive on a mountain in the snow and from what I hear we still had the highest attendance of the day

The Moody1
December 5th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I am glad it is now official because I have spent all my waking hours worrying about our playoff attendance. I guarantee you we outdraw Montana this year. By the way, the roads were really bad heading out 105 toward Banner Elk.

AppMan
December 5th, 2010, 04:53 PM
One reason we outdraw Montana during the regular season is their students pay for tickets and are limited to around 5,000 per game while ASU's students get in free and there is no limit to how many get in. Another reason is Montana's stadium has seating for 25,217. In addition to seating for 21,650 KBS has a bank people cram on to. We announce many regular season games way over capacity, but sitting on the East Side I can tell you there is usually a lot of metal showing in the upper level of the West Side.

One reason so many students leave at the half during the regular season is they have no skin in the game. Please don't preach to me about fee's. The overwhelming majority of students are on scholarships, grants, or their parents are pickjing up the tab.

As far as the playoffs go, in 23 home playoff games our largest crowd EVER was 24,140. Because the NCAA does an accounting of each playoff game and actual PAID attendance is announced. No way to play games or fool with the numbers to make it sound better than it is. As far as students and the playoffs are concerned, I seriously doubt $5 is an excessive price if they really want to go Those kids spend far more than that on a pizza and a six pack of beer. BTW, ever pay attention to the types of cars these kids drive today? Geeez. The point I have been trying to make, but evidently nobody has picked up on yet, is ASU has a lot of fans. We simply have very few die hard fans and the historical lack of playoff attendance is the proof of it. Montans has die hard fans and the historical playoff attendance proves it.

GlassOnion
December 5th, 2010, 05:31 PM
One reason we outdraw Montana during the regular season is their students pay for tickets and are limited to around 5,000 per game while ASU's students get in free and there is no limit to how many get in. Another reason is Montana's stadium has seating for 25,217. In addition to seating for 21,650 KBS has a bank people cram on to. We announce many regular season games way over capacity, but sitting on the East Side I can tell you there is usually a lot of metal showing in the upper level of the West Side.

One reason so many students leave at the half during the regular season is they have no skin in the game. Please don't preach to me about fee's. The overwhelming majority of students are on scholarships, grants, or their parents are pickjing up the tab.

As far as the playoffs go, in 23 home playoff games our largest crowd EVER was 24,140. Because the NCAA does an accounting of each playoff game and actual PAID attendance is announced. No way to play games or fool with the numbers to make it sound better than it is. As far as students and the playoffs are concerned, I seriously doubt $5 is an excessive price if they really want to go Those kids spend far more than that on a pizza and a six pack of beer. BTW, ever pay attention to the types of cars these kids drive today? Geeez. The point I have been trying to make, but evidently nobody has picked up on yet, is ASU has a lot of fans. We simply have very few die hard fans and the historical lack of playoff attendance is the proof of it. Montans has die hard fans and the historical playoff attendance proves it.

Yep, we've got a rabid fanbase alright. We even eat our own.

Skjellyfetti
December 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM
AppMan, you complain about anything and everything. You complain music over the PA system, you complain about our fans, you complain about the teams we play and how you're "bored" with them. Why are do you come to the games? It sounds like you're miserable. Go grab some UGA season tickets and be happy.

phan
December 5th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Honestly, I think montana people are used to the cold and even though Boone is cold it is still the south. Southern people are a different breed (interesting term here) from people from Montana. Southerners hate the cold and people from Montana live for the cold. It has nothing to do with who is the better fan!

KiddBrewer
December 5th, 2010, 07:19 PM

stereotype much?xscanx

james_lawfirm
December 5th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Honestly, I think montana people are used to the cold and even though Boone is cold it is still the south. Southern people are a different breed (interesting term here) from people from Montana. Southerners hate the cold and people from Montana live for the cold. It has nothing to do with who is the better fan!

You don't know what you're talking about. Not only that, but you are generalizing about something you know little about. Southerners hate the cold? Really? Have you ever actually been to the NC mountains?

The "cold" out in Montana is COMPLETELY different than the cold in Boone. I was at the App/Montana game last year and the App/WIU game yesterday. No question in my mind that was colder in Boone - even though the thermostat probably said it was 20 degrees warmer yesterday than in Missoula last year. I was dressed similarly in layers. In Montana it is a very dry cold - even if its snowing & windy, it is very dry. But, in Boone there is a dampness that permeates everything. The snow is wetter, the sleet is wetter & I got wetter. Because of that dampness, I got colder.

I ALMOST left at the beginning of the 4th qtr. due to the cold. But, I did not. I did not consider leaving the Montana game.

Come to think of it, one of the coldest nights I can remember was spent in a house with no heat on the coast near Wilmington, NC many winters ago. If Boone can be damp, even in the Winter, Wilmington, NC can be unbelievably humid & at 40 degrees, it feels frigid.

Oh, BTW, I enjoy the cold weather.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2010, 08:13 PM
appy state fans showed what fair weather is all about

GlassOnion
December 5th, 2010, 08:37 PM
appy state fans showed what fair weather is all about

Yep, God and the safety of my family are my first priority, asu football lags behind at #2, you got me. Till you know what youre talking about, shut up.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Yep, God and the safety of my family are my first priority, asu football lags behind at #2, you got me. Till you know what youre talking about, shut up.

did you cut and paste that definiton of fair weather fan from Websters? :p

GlassOnion
December 5th, 2010, 08:54 PM
did you cut and paste that definiton of fair weather fan from Websters? :p

Nope, just brimming with creativity today.

AppChicago
December 5th, 2010, 10:03 PM

Pay the guy no mind. He's just winding you up. Fact is, Delaware has several thousand more students, a larger living alumni base (presumably), is more conveniently located, and still draws 4k less, per game, based on the most recent NCAA numbers available (2009).

3rd Coast Tiger
December 6th, 2010, 07:40 AM

They left after the band performed at halftime! DUH!!! j/k

gophoenix
December 6th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I drove up for a Christmas tree for teh family, weather was worse down the Triad way, which could have turned a lot of people back that were coming from the east through Greensboro.

However, once there, I was surprised at the number of people leaving early down 421 as we were heading back in mid-afternoon. The roads were slushy but not terrible by any means.

Silenoz
December 6th, 2010, 02:19 PM
If Montana has better fans then why do we have the attendance record...AGAIN

dude it was snowing and for most people it's a several hr drive to the game, can't blame them for not wanting to drive on a mountain in the snow and from what I hear we still had the highest attendance of the day
Limited standing room capability

I didn't really want to get involved with this thread, but I will say that I was pretty shocked that Montana State outdrew Delaware and App State, and even more shocked when I saw ASU's playoff attendances from the last 20 years

AppAlum96
December 6th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Normally I agree, but considering the weather, I will give our fans a mulligan on this one.

Silenoz
December 6th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I'll also point out that App needs to draw about 20,000 for each of the next two playoff games to keep the attendance title from Montana. So if you don't manage that we can at least win something this year xlolx :D

AshevilleApp2
December 6th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I'll also point out that App needs to draw about 20,000 for each of the next two playoff games to keep the attendance title from Montana. So if you don't manage that we can at least win something this year xlolx :D

You can have that one. xlolx

AppMan
December 6th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Normally I agree, but considering the weather, I will give our fans a mulligan on this one.

That is our problem. The fans always get a pass from somebody. I'm so tired of hearing it was cold, raining, it's a long way home, the roads aren't great, not many resturants, on and on and on it goes. I've been coming to ASU games since 1977 as an alumnus. Season ticket holder since 1979, never missed a home playoff game (only 5 away) and have only left one game early in my life (coming down witht he flu). I have never had an issue getting to or home from a game and live 2 hours away. Now I'm sure someone will start chirping in with other priorities, family matters, yada, yada, yada. As my 28 year old son (2005 ASU grad) often says; Don't make excuses why you can't get to games and stay the entire time. Just admit it isn't that important to you and move on! ASU has a big fan base, just not a big rabid fane base.

ASU_MBA
December 6th, 2010, 03:09 PM
If/when we (ASU) stop winning games the attendance will once again drop to 15K we have a lot of fair weather fans...

get ready for those numbers when we move up to FBS unless we start winning soon...this Sat. the weather should be better and Nova should be a better draw..but I would still be shocked if more than 18K show up....

for the Western Ill. game the student section was not even close to full....

ASUG8
December 6th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Marion, NC - elevation 1,404 ft, 53 miles away - the best route from Asheville market, two lane road
Hickory, NC - elevation 910 ft, 45 miles away - best route for Charlotte market - under construction to go four lanes, but still partially two lanes
Wilkesboro, NC - elevation 1,047 ft, 32 miles away - best route for Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Raleigh - mostly two lane road

With the exception of Marion you're looking at ~ 2,000 ft. of elevation to negotiate coming and going to get to Boone at 3,333 ft. Given the forecast and difficulty of some of the roads I'm surprised we put 13K in the seats. We ended up staying overnight and still had some rough spots Sunday with high wind gusts and 21* at noon.

Apps03
December 6th, 2010, 03:41 PM
That is our problem. The fans always get a pass from somebody. I'm so tired of hearing it was cold, raining, it's a long way home, the roads aren't great, not many resturants, on and on and on it goes. I've been coming to ASU games since 1977 as an alumnus. Season ticket holder since 1979, never missed a home playoff game (only 5 away) and have only left one game early in my life (coming down witht he flu). I have never had an issue getting to or home from a game and live 2 hours away. Now I'm sure someone will start chirping in with other priorities, family matters, yada, yada, yada. As my 28 year old son (2005 ASU grad) often says; Don't make excuses why you can't get to games and stay the entire time. Just admit it isn't that important to you and move on! ASU has a big fan base, just not a big rabid fane base.

What is it that you're after here? Congrats, you're the bestest Mountaineer fan in the whole wide world. I was at the game and haven't missed a game since I graduated, home or away. Since you're such a great fan, I'm sure you can figure out all the places that includes. Control what you can control and don't worry about what someone else does with their time or money. Since you're a vocal FBS'er (not stating my position either way), at least we are still playing football. Otherwise we'd be done or waiting a month for an opportunity to go to Detroit or Mobile.

AppMan
December 6th, 2010, 04:35 PM
What is it that you're after here? Congrats, you're the bestest Mountaineer fan in the whole wide world. I was at the game and haven't missed a game since I graduated, home or away. Since you're such a great fan, I'm sure you can figure out all the places that includes. Control what you can control and don't worry about what someone else does with their time or money. Since you're a vocal FBS'er (not stating my position either way), at least we are still playing football. Otherwise we'd be done or waiting a month for an opportunity to go to Detroit or Mobile.

Come on man slow down a bit. Glad you are a fan who follows the team faithfully. We need many more like you. The only thing I'm "after" is to show if a 56 year old out of shape man can drag his carcass out of bed At 6AM, drive up a coupled hours early, do a little frosty tailgating, sit through the cold and snow until the end of the game, stick around a few hours afterwards for dinner, then drive home, it shouldn't be that big of a deal for people half my age. As far as the FBS thing goes those folks get 1 more get right off the bat, so we would have still been playing as of last week. If we were in a conference with a championship game and made it we would be playing this week. Making it that far surely means there would be a bowl trip which would put us playing only 1 game less than of all but 3 years in ASU history. Winning a NC is neat since that is the division we’re in, but it wouldn’t mean any more to me than beating someone in a bowl game. You can go ahead and tell me how crazy I am for thinking that way and it’s OK. I’d gladly trade a much better regular season schedule for a few playoff games. But, that’s just me.

SoCon48
December 6th, 2010, 04:51 PM
This is the stupidest thread EVER!

And, yes, I was there for the entire game.

It sure is.

bigCasu
December 6th, 2010, 04:52 PM
This has to be the worst weather conditions we have had for a playoff game in the modern ASU playoff era, since 2005. Southern Illinois was awful as well, but I doubt it beats WIU. It sleeted for the final 3 quarters, and not little sleet, big sleet. We have easily received 8 inches of winter weather since saturday morning. It also started about 6 hours ahead of schedule. I was up at 6am in Boone, getting in the truck, heading to tailgate, and the snow started dumping then. Oh yeah, the game was on TV as well. I was surprised there were 13K there. This will rebound, maybe, because the snow is supposed to be coming again this weekend.

proasu89
December 6th, 2010, 05:43 PM
This has to be the worst weather conditions we have had for a playoff game in the modern ASU playoff era, since 2005. Southern Illinois was awful as well, but I doubt it beats WIU. It sleeted for the final 3 quarters, and not little sleet, big sleet. We have easily received 8 inches of winter weather since saturday morning. It also started about 6 hours ahead of schedule. I was up at 6am in Boone, getting in the truck, heading to tailgate, and the snow started dumping then. Oh yeah, the game was on TV as well. I was surprised there were 13K there. This will rebound, maybe, because the snow is supposed to be coming again this weekend.

I thought SIU was worse. Sleet, rain, sleet. Luckily I got to watch the second half of that game from the Owens porch. No more directional Ill. in December please xlolx
Looking for a break this weekend.

Block-A
December 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Don't make excuses why you can't get to games and stay the entire time. Just admit it isn't that important to you and move on!

I only live about 90 minutes away and I usually can only make one game a year. This past Sat. was the first time I ever left a game early, but TBH, I don't feel bad about it. My daughter was miserable & I was worried about getting home safely.

I guess you're right, attending the games is not that important to me.

From now on, I believe I will stay home & listen on the radio or watch TV or online.

I must be ready to "Move on." Thanks for helping me realize how much I can save w/o the hassle; no tickets, no gas, no driving, no parking, no cold, no wet...

GlassOnion
December 6th, 2010, 06:09 PM

So the problem is we're getting a pass from somebody? Where do you get the right to hold other people accountable? I am responsible for myself, no one else. I set my own priorities based on my judgement. You take care of yourself. If you want to encourage others to be like you, whatever, but you have no right to critize others for setting their own priorities. This holier than thou attitude youre sporting here is unbecoming.

ASU_Fanatic
December 6th, 2010, 06:22 PM
We still have great fans, and are at least close to being on par with Montana, I would give them a small edge though. I mean averaging 29,000 a game is great and probably twice as much as 8 of the 13 Mac teams. We should have a big crowd Saturday, or at least hopefully anyway...it would be awesome if we could get in 30,000 but the 12 am start shoots that hope down.

AppMan
December 6th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I thought SIU was worse. Sleet, rain, sleet. Luckily I got to watch the second half of that game from the Owens porch. No more directional Ill. in December please xlolx
Looking for a break this weekend.

I agree SIU was much worse. What was coming down Saturday was nothing compared to that cold, steady rain / ice mix.

About Saturday. Our group consisted of three guys in their early 60's, three in mid 50's, a couple in mid 40's, another couple in early 30's, my 28 year old son, and four early teen kids. We had a ball! The right clothes, shoes and foot warmers kept us pretty toasty the entire game. Including a few pre game cups of hot cherry spiced apple cider. None reported any issues getting home to WS, Greensboro, and Belmont. Just use some common sense and take your time. Had been waiting years for a snow game like that and I wasn't about to miss it.

Never realized we had so many whimpy fans. A man not far from us had his 4 year old son bundled up and he was loving the snow and the game! A man and his wife - who has never sit on our row - came late in the first quarter and made everyone move to make room for them. They left at the half and remarked what a fan the youngster was. It took all I could manage to keep quiet. Sorry if I ruffle some feathers here, but major schools have tons of passionate fans. Judging from the responses I'm getting from ASU people we have a ways to go. Seems like this is getting under the skin of a lot of people. Perhaps it is hitting a little too close to home. Too many people cop an attitude, come out with a bunch of gibberish and a million excuses. That's all well and good, you people can get mad at me, call me names, and make all kinds of threats about staying home if you like. It doesn't bother me one bit. Guess I look at it a little differently. Until she became disabled and unable to attend games my wife sat right there beside me and our son through every bad weather game for 25 years. She misses it so very much and you better believe would loved to have been there Saturday. Life is short and I've seen the other side of the fence. I plan on getting in on all I can before I am no longer able to go.

One thing about the SIU game that has largely gone unnoticed through the years is that was the night a tradition was born. We were sitting in our usual seats in 3A on the West stands when midway in the 3rd quarter we noticed a small group of students in what is now section 108 on the East side chanting something. It wasn't long until another group sitting iacross from them on the West side began answering. At first it was hard to understand, but it soon became evident what they were saying...... App - State, App - State, App - State. The rest is history. Sure would like to meet some of those folks and thank them for starting a Mountaineer tradition.

AppMan
December 6th, 2010, 11:24 PM
So the problem is we're getting a pass from somebody? Where do you get the right to hold other people accountable? I am responsible for myself, no one else. I set my own priorities based on my judgement. You take care of yourself. If you want to encourage others to be like you, whatever, but you have no right to critize others for setting their own priorities. This holier than thou attitude youre sporting here is unbecoming.

Some of you people sure do have issues with reading comprehension. I'm have not attempted to hold anyone accountable for not showing up, nor have I made the slightest attempt to tell people what they should do. I have NO problem what-so-ever with folks setting their own priorities and deciding what is best for them and their families. Just pointing out the fact ASU has a lot of fans who like to talk the talk, but they don't necessarily walk the walk. If that hits a little too close to home, I'm sorry. What’s that old saying about a guilty dog barking? I have no holier than thou attitude. Not even close. What I do have is an issue with people constantly bragging about how rabid the ASU fan base is, but whenever it becomes a little inconvenient for them they spit out the bit. I must not have been the only one who noticed it. Especially considering DeAndre made a point to mention it during the post game press conference. Guess you guys should tell him to mind his own business too.

AppMan
December 6th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I only live about 90 minutes away and I usually can only make one game a year. This past Sat. was the first time I ever left a game early, but TBH, I don't feel bad about it. My daughter was miserable & I was worried about getting home safely.

I guess you're right, attending the games is not that important to me.

From now on, I believe I will stay home & listen on the radio or watch TV or online.

I must be ready to "Move on." Thanks for helping me realize how much I can save w/o the hassle; no tickets, no gas, no driving, no parking, no cold, no wet...

Glad I was able to help clear that up. Hate you are going to miss all the tailgating, fellowship with old friends, the fun and memories with your kids, but it is your decision!

GrizBowl
December 7th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I respectfully disagree with the thread title. App state fans are on par with the other FCS PowerHouse team fans. I can understand if App fans are not used to cold weather play, you have to live in the Montana area to be prepared for cold weather games like that...

KiddBrewer
December 7th, 2010, 12:53 AM
.......i'm pretty sure i just saw AppMan tailgating in raley, wearing only shorts and an appalachian tanktop.......

AppMan
December 7th, 2010, 07:21 AM
.......i'm pretty sure i just saw AppMan tailgating in raley, wearing only shorts and an appalachian tanktop.......

This entire thread is based on your assertion "WE ARE home field advantage". If you amend that to say "during the first half of regular season games" I’ll go along with you. Until our “fans” decide the games are important enough to stay the entire game and then show up in the same numbers for playoffs you need to take that down. BTW, I park in Justice Lot, spaces 1 & 2 if you care to discuss my attire a little more.

AppMan
December 7th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I respectfully disagree with the thread title. App state fans are on par with the other FCS PowerHouse team fans. I can understand if App fans are not used to cold weather play, you have to live in the Montana area to be prepared for cold weather games like that...

You are poorly informed about Winter in Boone. With the average high temp (Dec thru March) around 40 degrees and blizzard-like conditions not unusual, winters are long and cold with frequent sleet and snowfall. It is a climate more like what you would find in New England. Anyone who lives in Boone or attended ASU knows how to dress for cold weather.

AshevilleApp2
December 7th, 2010, 07:57 AM
AppMan, you are correct that our fan base isn't as rabid as Montana's. I'd be willing to wager that you aren't as well. Do you buy season tickets for Georgia Southern when we have a game there, so you can be assured of getting a good seat? Montana fans apparently do for Eastern Washington and Montana State. Unless you can match that passion, please quit your whining.

gophoenix
December 7th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Marion, NC - elevation 1,404 ft, 53 miles away - the best route from Asheville market, two lane road
Hickory, NC - elevation 910 ft, 45 miles away - best route for Charlotte market - under construction to go four lanes, but still partially two lanes
Wilkesboro, NC - elevation 1,047 ft, 32 miles away - best route for Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Raleigh - mostly two lane road

With the exception of Marion you're looking at ~ 2,000 ft. of elevation to negotiate coming and going to get to Boone at 3,333 ft. Given the forecast and difficulty of some of the roads I'm surprised we put 13K in the seats. We ended up staying overnight and still had some rough spots Sunday with high wind gusts and 21* at noon.

The route from Triad and Triangle is all 4 lane divided highway, except from Wilkesboro to the top of the mountain and 65mph. Some of the fans may have seen how bad the roads were in the Triad and thought it would get worse.

It was an inch of snow, the trucks were already out and it wasn't bad on that route. And you have to climb higher than 2000 feet to get to Boone, you have to go over the first ridge and come down to the valley were Boone sits.... I think that lots of people saw how bad it was in Greensboro and Winston and didn't come assuming it would be worse. And like someone said, I was up there for a tree, and the sleet was that big sleet that hurt when it hits and it was that damp cold that chills to the bone.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but come on. People have families, with little kids and wives that don't want to be out in this stuff. And people want to feel like they can get home safely.

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2010, 09:05 AM

Then do something about it. *****ing on a message board probably isn't going to bring about change...or call Obama. I pray every night that God will turn me into the epitome of a great App fan like you and your son. A boy can DREAM!

Side Judge
December 7th, 2010, 09:08 AM
OK guys, let's move on...