PDA

View Full Version : UNH @ Delaware Thread

Pages : [1] 2

UNHFan
December 4th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Lets get it started! and anyone with inside info that can let this thread know game day and time please help :) I am going!

Wildcat80
December 4th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Toman AND Deck will be 100%!!

UNHFan
December 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Great start to thread thanks!

R3TRO
December 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
How about Peters and Jeannot?

Wildcat80
December 4th, 2010, 05:55 PM
There's no doubt in my mind if UNH comes to play we can beat the Blue Hens!! Gotta stop the run, get QB pressure and play like we have all year in pass defense. UDel is easier than other teams cause Devlin is not a run threat. We still need everyone healthy....RJ, Dontra, Jeannot, Evans etc. Just Do It Cats!

Blue Hen Nation
December 4th, 2010, 05:57 PM
UNH has given Delaware all it can handle over the last 10 years (or so). This is going to be a classic CAA matchup and will surely be close. Good luck boys!

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2010, 06:04 PM
good to see all the UNH fans onboard already

UNHFan
December 4th, 2010, 06:05 PM
UNH has given Delaware all it can handle over the last 10 years (or so). This is going to be a classic CAA matchup and will surely be close. Good luck boys!

Thanks Blue Hen Nation.. I am going! Please try and get non Student people to go. This is the biggest problem with FCS Play-offs. Students go home ect.. I never went to UNH but moved here 15 years ago and fell in love. and Have traveled 1000's of miles for this team. FCS Schools need more non student support!

Nebuta
December 4th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Good luck to both teams. Lets hope both teams come out of this game healthy. No injuries. The winner will carry the CAA banner to the NC title game imho.

GannonFan
December 4th, 2010, 06:12 PM
There's no doubt in my mind if UNH comes to play we can beat the Blue Hens!! Gotta stop the run, get QB pressure and play like we have all year in pass defense. UDel is easier than other teams cause Devlin is not a run threat. We still need everyone healthy....RJ, Dontra, Jeannot, Evans etc. Just Do It Cats!

Huh? Devlin had 39 yards rushing this week and has had 250 some this year, before sacks get counted in. He'll pull the ball down every now and then, especially if ignored.

UNHFan
December 4th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Wow I think its official NCAA.com now saying game is Saturday when earlier poster Friday/Saturday

Old Cat Fan
December 4th, 2010, 06:19 PM
UNH had something like 17 penalties against Cookman, no way in hell will they get away with that against the Hens. UNH will have to have a perfect game (turnovers- penalties) to keep it close

rcny46
December 4th, 2010, 06:23 PM
How about Peters and Jeannot?

..... and Jellison.

bluehenbillk
December 4th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Supposedly NCAA is announcing game dates/times tomorrow afternoon.

UNHFan
December 4th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Supposedly NCAA is announcing game dates/times tomorrow afternoon.

yeah I agree its just when game ended it said 12... 10/11 but I am sure you are right it was probably a software default for all the games

wmmii
December 4th, 2010, 07:10 PM
This should be an epic CAA battle, we played both teams and either could win depending on which QB gets th hot hand. Hope you ahve no injuries as the winner hoepfully will play for in Frisco if they can get by the next SOCON foe

VUCats02
December 4th, 2010, 10:17 PM
The big question is....Can UNH finally get past the quarterfinals?

Pretty interesting that this is a CAA throwdown, yet not a rematch of a regular season game.

cowboy91
December 4th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Would gladly welcome 19 more penalties called on UNH.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 4th, 2010, 10:36 PM
The big question is....Can UNH finally get past the quarterfinals?

Pretty interesting that this is a CAA throwdown, yet not a rematch of a regular season game.

UNH and UD haven't met since '07. This is a long overdue match, and one that I am more than a little bit worried about. UNH, like 'Nova, seems to find ways to win even when UD has the better team on paper. I'm glad the game is in Newark, I just hope we come up with a big enough crowd to throw some advantage our way.

Delaware leads the series vs. UNH 19-10 all time, but the last win was in 2003. It's time to scratch that seven year itch and finally beat some Wildcats in Newark.

The key to winning this one for Delaware is going to be coming out strong and establishing at least a two score lead early on. If Devlin can stretch the defense and allow AP to break some runs and keep the UNH defense guessing, we should be able to control the clock and let our defense hold UNH back enough to win this one out. If we allow UNH to establish the early momentum and have to play catch up, the game could get ugly fast.

I imagine that this week in practice AP will be working ball control over everything else. He's become a bit fumble prone lately, and we can't afford that to cost us this game like it did 'Nova.

art vandelay
December 4th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Delaware always struggles with NH. Since their near loss in 2003 they have dropped three strait to UNH, but this UNH team does not have Santos.

UNH cant seem to get over the quarter final hump, but UNH has a very good defense as opposed to their past teams... somethings got to give.

Mattymc727
December 4th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I am very nervous about the game. I think Devlin is one of the best QB's in the FCS. It should be interesting on my end because my college roommate and best friend is from Wilmington, Delaware and a UD supporter, I am from Concord, NH and a big UNH fan but neither of us go to their respective state schools. I like the UNH defense against the UD offense even with Deviln, we play a 4-2-5 with a very veteran secondary and an outstanding coach on the fly. The interesting battle shall be the UNH offense against the Del D. I feel like Toman on 3 weeks rest is a big iffy and I think Ud's D is underated. Honestly, both defenses are underated but UD has the better QB and has homefield. If UNH can squeek out a win, I like our chances for the NC trophy lift.

cowboy91
December 4th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Dumb question.

How can the team that finished the regular season as the #1 scoring defense in not only the league but also in the country and the #2 rush D, #1 pass D, and #1 overall D in the CAA be considered underrated?

Maroon&White
December 4th, 2010, 11:32 PM
. UDel is easier than other teams cause Devlin is not a run threat.

He sure as hell was against UMass.xlolx

Mattymc727
December 4th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Dumb question.

How can the team that finished the regular season as the #1 scoring defense in not only the league but also in the country and the #2 rush D, #1 pass D, and #1 overall D in the CAA be considered underrated?

Is this referring to my post?

cowboy91
December 4th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I I think Ud's D is underated. Honestly, both defenses are underated

Yes. How can you be underrated if you're rated at the top?

Mattymc727
December 4th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Yes. How can you be underrated if you're rated at the top?

haha, you caught me. Honestly I think people wory too much about Devlin/the UNH offense. The question is, how well can the defenses play against eachother? I like UNH's chances on defense (containing BCU today was not easy, they were extremely fast), but i still fell like UD's defense can handle the UNH offense, it should be an excellent game( I have had quite a few beers so if it isnt easy to understand, let me know and I will try to clarify)

Old Cat Fan
December 5th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Delaware always struggles with NH. Since their near loss in 2003 they have dropped three strait to UNH, but this UNH team does not have Santos.

UNH cant seem to get over the quarter final hump, but UNH has a very good defense as opposed to their past teams... somethings got to give.

We lost Santos in the 2007 win, picture below was the play #4 hen busted up his shoulder. Toman came off the bench and secured the win.
You guys broke Santos xnonono2x not nice. Not forgotten

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/SANTOSSHOLDERINJURYPLAY.jpg

cowboy91
December 5th, 2010, 12:43 AM
If it wasn't for Delaware nobody would have ever known who Ricky Santos was.

AAadict
December 5th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Prediction:

UNH - 48
Delaware - 30

why, you ask?

take a look at the porous Delaware Defense

Delaware Defense against Lehigh (A team from the weak Patriot League):
allowed 391 yards Total Offense
allowed 362 yards Passing
allowed 35 pass completions
allowed 2 passing TD's
allowed 25 First downs
allowed 20 Points

and all of the above happened in only ONE game today

Enjoy the rest of the playoffs on TV Lehigh. You went one game too far in the playoffs and got whipped for it (42-20). It was nice of KC to not run up the score on you as the Hen's could have. Take your lumps. You certainly deserve them for all the posting you did before the game. Your insight was wrong when they actually met on the field.

cougarpines
December 5th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Would gladly welcome 19 more penalties called on UNH.

Get the MEAC refs and UD/UNH will both have all we can handle. They are an embarresment to the game.

WrenFGun
December 5th, 2010, 07:23 AM
On the 19 penalties, if you go back and watch the game, you'll see quite clearly the fix was in. They called two unsportsmanlike penalties on Ryan McGuiness when he pushed a guy attempting to catch a TD pass done right as as he was catching it. It was brutal. We got whistled for offsides numerous times despite being back before the snap, and we got a brutal lead with the head call on us as well.

IMO, Devlin's going to have to have success throwing the ball to best UNH's defense. Seems a pretty even matchup to me, but certainly a great one. Hoping for a Saturday game.

cougarpines
December 5th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Where were the refs from? UNH scares the you know what out of me. You don't have another Santos do you?

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 5th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Where were the refs from? UNH scares the you know what out of me. You don't have another Santos do you?

I don't think there is one.

This years UNH team is much stronger on the other side of the ball.

cougarpines
December 5th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I think we are 0 & 3 with UNH the last three times we met.

WrenFGun
December 5th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Believe the refs were from the Big South.

cowboy91
December 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Since there are two CAA teams playing each other will they have CAA officials?

Wildcat80
December 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Nooo...but we got a kid named Fox! And another named Evans....Vasso, McNally, Young, Souza, Toman, Orlando,Peters.....I'm getting excited!!

cowboy91
December 5th, 2010, 09:10 AM
But you don't have Devlin. :)

charliej
December 5th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Since there are two CAA teams playing each other will they have CAA officials? Doubt it. I would imagine that refs were scheduled for the games in advance. No way of knowing that it would be two CAA teams. (even though most here knew it would be ;) )

cowboy91
December 5th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Anyone but the MEAC, please.

CAA officials in the SoCon game and SoCon officials in the CAA game would be pretty interesting - but you're probably right.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 5th, 2010, 09:58 AM
But you don't have Devlin. :)

We didn't have Flacco either....see you saturday!

NHwildEcat
December 5th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks Blue Hen Nation.. I am going! Please try and get non Student people to go. This is the biggest problem with FCS Play-offs. Students go home ect.. I never went to UNH but moved here 15 years ago and fell in love. and Have traveled 1000's of miles for this team. FCS Schools need more non student support!

Right there with ya UNHFAN...I grew up 15 minutes outside campus choice to not go to school at UNH because I wanted to experience something different (and not go to college with all of my HS). I love all that is UNH...all sports I support, especially football and hockey. I have gotten my wife into UNH as well even though she also didn't go but I feel a sense of pride when the U does well on a larger stage. It can be a real bragging point and a way for people from all over the state to feel a sense of together-ness!

Gordon Shumway
December 5th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Prediction:

UNH - 48
Delaware - 30

why, you ask?

take a look at the porous Delaware Defense

Delaware Defense against Lehigh (A team from the weak Patriot League):
allowed 391 yards Total Offense
allowed 362 yards Passing
allowed 35 pass completions
allowed 2 passing TD's
allowed 25 First downs
allowed 20 Points

and all of the above happened in only ONE game today

http://members.cox.net/rupa78/meanwhile_in_australia-1.jpg

UNHFan
December 5th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Its official UNH @ Delaware ESPN2HD Friday 8PM

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM
what time will the tail gate lots open up?

charliej
December 5th, 2010, 01:19 PM
what time will the tail gate lots open up?

Be willing to bet there are some there at sunrise xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 5th, 2010, 01:22 PM
last time I was there thay had some 3 or hour hours before kick off rule

AAadict
December 5th, 2010, 02:50 PM
last time I was there thay had some 3 or hour hours before kick off rule

Used to be 3 hours before but changed to 4 hours when the donation requirement was added to the stadium lots. 4pm start to tailgating on Fri.

Wildcat80
December 5th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Isn't Toman 1 & 0 vs UDel?

UNH72Plus
December 5th, 2010, 07:09 PM
On the 19 penalties, if you go back and watch the game, you'll see quite clearly the fix was in. They called two unsportsmanlike penalties on Ryan McGuiness when he pushed a guy attempting to catch a TD pass done right as as he was catching it. It was brutal. We got whistled for offsides numerous times despite being back before the snap, and we got a brutal lead with the head call on us as well.

IMO, Devlin's going to have to have success throwing the ball to best UNH's defense. Seems a pretty even matchup to me, but certainly a great one. Hoping for a Saturday game.

I agree with you on the off side calls and the helmut to helmut call, but McGuiness clearly shoved the receiver after he had made the reception and took a couple of steps, and who knows what he said after the play. Even with the bad calls, there were too many dumb penalties, like Setian's attempted assasination of the punter. They've cost us all year. I seem to remember a chop block that negated a first down at the end of the URI game and led to Toman's fumble and 70+ yard run back for the winning TD. We can't afford to do that against UD.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Ryan Carty... factor in this game or not

SOCAL
December 5th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Isn't Toman 1 & 0 vs UDel?

As a redshirt freshman toman relieved an injured Ricky Santos late in the first quarter of a scoreless game and threw for 2 touchdowns to lead UNH to a 35-30 victory over the Joe Flacco led Delaware Hens---that is the last time they have played

bluehenbillk
December 6th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Ryan Carty... factor in this game or not

Different offensive coordinator, I don't see him as much of a factor.

Wildcat80
December 6th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I hope UNH steals a WIN Friday night too!!!!

"Last time we played them in '07 they stole every single signal [used to relay offensive plays]. I didn't forget that. ... We'll have to make sure we safeguard against that. But it should be fun playing an old foe."
New Hampshire won 35-30 in that 2007 game in Durham, N.H., where Delaware needed 20 fourth-quarter points to make it that close.
Delaware had altered its sideline hand signals for that game because Ryan Carty, a backup quarterback at Delaware from 2002 through 2006, was in his first year as a UNH assistant coach. Quarterback Joe Flacco and other offensive players had also worn wristbands with play information. Carty is still on the UNH staff, coaching wide receivers.
New Hampshire has won three straight over the Hens, the other two at Delaware Stadium -- 52-49 in 2006 and 24-21 in 2004. New Hampshire also won here in 2000 -- 45-44 in OT.

Tubby Raymond
December 6th, 2010, 11:13 AM
What's the QB situation?

Was Toman hurt? If not, why the switch?

Wildcat80
December 6th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Toman had an ankle sprain vs Towson. He was still not 100% saturday so Decker started. With another week he should be darn close to 100% but probably half the UNH fans think Decker is just as good. IMO either can BEAT DELAWARE!!

UncleSam
December 6th, 2010, 12:10 PM
QB is is the one area where UD has a major advantage, as Devlin is far better than either UNH QB. That said, I hope Toman is back and starting for UNH, since he hasn't yet been able come up big vs a tough playoff opponent.

NHwildEcat
December 6th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I don't know if I really care which QB plays on Saturday...Decker will be doing it for us next year anyways so might as well get used to seeing him out there. I also think the offense seems to flow bette with him and he has a better deep arm IMO. Althought, I do think Toman can be just as effective, in fact Toman might be better at chewing up clock to keep da Hens offsense off the field. A well rested defense for UNH can lead to a massive amount of problems for UD...I think our defense will carry us to victory and this team will accomplish something no other UNH team has ever been able to...a trip to the National Semi-Finals! GO CATS!

blukeys
December 6th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I don't know if I really care which QB plays on Saturday..
I am with you 100%. Especially as the game is on Friday Night.

Ivytalk
December 6th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I say UD breaks the UNH home field jinx and wins by 8.

UNH72Plus
December 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM
QB is is the one area where UD has a major advantage, as Devlin is far better than either UNH QB. That said, I hope Toman is back and starting for UNH, since he hasn't yet been able come up big vs a tough playoff opponent.

I would agree that Toman has not played well in post season, but to say that Devlin is a far better QB is a bit of an exageration if you compare the stats against common opponents this year:

% Completions - Devlin 68.3 - Toman 62.9 - Decker 70.0
Total Yards Passing - Devlin 1756 - Toman 1745 - Decker 97
TD Passes - Devline 10 - Toman 10 - Decker 2
Interceptions - Devlin 2 - Toman 6 - Decker 0
Rushing yards - Devlin 110 - Toman 95 - Decker 22
Rushing TDs - Devlin 1 - Toman 4 - Decker 1

Interceptions are the most obvious difference and Toman has had only 2 in his last 5 games. Another factor is that Toman has been playing behind an inexperienced line and has had to rush many of his throws. Bottom line is we'll see on Friday night (assuming that Toman plays). Oh. and by the way, last week Decker was 23 of 35 for 289 yards, 3 touchdowns, and 1 interception.

cowboy91
December 6th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I don't think Devlin's stats are going to blow anyone away, but he's like Andy Hall, he's just a ball player.

GannonFan
December 6th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I would agree that Toman has not played well in post season, but to say that Devlin is a far better QB is a bit of an exageration if you compare the stats against common opponents this year:

Interceptions are the most obvious difference and Toman has had only 2 in his last 5 games. Another factor is that Toman has been playing behind an inexperienced line and has had to rush many of his throws. Bottom line is we'll see on Friday night (assuming that Toman plays). Oh. and by the way, last week Decker was 23 of 35 for 289 yards, 3 touchdowns, and 1 interception.

Again, people who say that Devlin isn't a superior QB just haven't seen the guy play. He's going to be playing on Sundays, he could be as a high as a 3rd rd pick. Toman is agood QB and all, but Devlin is a different level. Stats are great, but Devlin didn't even play 2 games this year. From actually seeing Devlin play, I'd pick him over any QB in the country right now.

Chemhen
December 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Yeah, Devlin doesn't have the stats, but he throws a great ball, does a great job of going through progressions and finding the open guy. He can scramble a little bit in the pocket to make things happen, and is a threat to run, and when he does he knows where the 1st down marker is. If Delaware wasn't ahead in the 3rd quarter in so many of the regular season games or we didn't have a 1000 yard rusher, he'd have better stats. I'm not denigrating Toman or Decker, as I haven't seen them play, but if they're as good as Devlin, they're pretty special.

UNH Fanboi
December 6th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Focus people! The winner of this game will not be decided by an NFL scouting combine or QB skills competition between Devlin and Toman/Decker. The relevant comparison is (i) Devlin vs. UNH Defense and (ii) Toman/Decker vs. Delaware defense.

Gordon Shumway
December 6th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Focus people! The winner of this game will not be decided by an NFL scouting combine or QB skills competition between Devlin and Toman/Decker. The relevant comparison is (i) Devlin vs. UNH Defense and (ii) Toman/Decker vs. Delaware defense.

Does anyone know how Lum did against the Delaware defense...http://members.cox.net/rupa78/leaving.gif

UncleSam
December 6th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Does anyone know how Lum did against the Delaware defense...http://members.cox.net/rupa78/leaving.gif

Good enough to get whipped by 22 points.. ;)

UNHFootballAlum
December 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I say UD breaks the UNH home field jinx and wins by 8.

didn't you pick UNH to beat Del on another thread?

Tubby Raymond
December 6th, 2010, 07:59 PM

I'm guessing you haven't seen Devlin play. I've seen Toman 3/4 times on TV, he can't carry Pat's jock.

R3TRO
December 6th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Luckily Devlin doesnt need a jock cause every Delaware fan in here already has Devlin's nuts in their mouth.

LOLz

BlueHenSinfonian
December 6th, 2010, 08:20 PM

UD's offense is a lot more than just Devlin. If UNH keeps their DBs back to protect the pass, AP will pound it out up front. If they pull the DBs up to protect the run, then Devlin can pick the defense apart play by play with pinpoint medium range passes, even if the safeties are cheating back for the long ball. It's the balanced multifaceted attack that makes the Delaware O so dangerous.

UNH Fanboi
December 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM
UD's offense is a lot more than just Devlin. If UNH keeps their DBs back to protect the pass, AP will pound it out up front. If they pull the DBs up to protect the run, then Devlin can pick the defense apart play by play with pinpoint medium range passes, even if the safeties are cheating back for the long ball. It's the balanced multifaceted attack that makes the Delaware O so dangerous.

I agree that you need to take the whole offense into account. I was merely pointing out the QBs don't line up against each other, they line up against the other team's defense. So comparing Devlin and Toman directly isn't really relevant.

UNH has a very good secondary and leads the FCS in INTs. It will be very interesting to see what Devlin can do against them.

heath
December 6th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Again, people who say that Devlin isn't a superior QB just haven't seen the guy play. He's going to be playing on Sundays, he could be as a high as a 3rd rd pick. Toman is agood QB and all, but Devlin is a different level. Stats are great, but Devlin didn't even play 2 games this year. From actually seeing Devlin play, I'd pick him over any QB in the country right now.

Never draft a QB,wait until after their 3rd year and pick them up as a free agent, a Matt Ryan or Big Ben does come around,but use Matt Schaub as the perfect example.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 6th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Never draft a QB,wait until after their 3rd year and pick them up as a free agent, a Matt Ryan or Big Ben does come around,but use Matt Schaub as the perfect example.

Or Eli Manning or Joe Flacco... plenty of good QBs have been early draft picks.

smcwildcat
December 6th, 2010, 09:06 PM
either way i think pat is a great qb but we do things the right way......actually recruiting players to come to our school not go to D1's and ask if they want to transfer....fyi seems like you guys might get brantley from uf? keep it going i'd rather do things through hard work and dedication

cowboy91
December 6th, 2010, 09:15 PM
That whole offense averaged over 400 yards a game, and it wasn't all Devlin.

Not saying this means Delaware wins on Friday though.

pitpen
December 6th, 2010, 10:06 PM
either way i think pat is a great qb but we do things the right way......actually recruiting players to come to our school not go to D1's and ask if they want to transfer....fyi seems like you guys might get brantley from uf? keep it going i'd rather do things through hard work and dedication

1. Who is to say that accepting a transfer is not "doing things the right way"?
2. Delaware does recruit players to their school
3. I'm confident that Delaware has never once approached a school regarding a transfer
4. Brantley...no
5. I'm troubled by the assertion that New Hampshire players works any harder than Delaware's high school recruits or collegiate transfers

BlueHenSinfonian
December 6th, 2010, 10:13 PM
1. Who is to say that accepting a transfer is not "doing things the right way"?
2. Delaware does recruit players to their school
3. I'm confident that Delaware has never once approached a school regarding a transfer
4. Brantley...no
5. I'm troubled by the assertion that New Hampshire players works any harder than Delaware's high school recruits or collegiate transfers

He's baiting. Recruiting students to transfer before the student makes the first move would have to break some pretty major NCAA regulations, and there is no way it could be kept quiet if anyone was trying to poach athletes already enrolled in FBS programs.

cowboy91
December 6th, 2010, 10:20 PM
UNH has a very good secondary and leads the FCS in INTs. It will be very interesting to see what Devlin can do against them.

Luckily for us Devlin isn't a punter.

jlcharles
December 6th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Rooting big time for UNH.

jlcharles
December 7th, 2010, 12:04 AM

Has KC had a QB that he's recruited from HS start any games?

AAadict
December 7th, 2010, 01:02 AM
So coaches at W&M, JMU, and UD should tell QB's from UNC, Louisville, Pitt, Penn State, etc. "Thanks for your interest but we are trying to work harder as a program and stick with QB's FBS schools did not recruit." That may sound good on some planets but let's be smarter than that. UD, JMU, and W&M have football programs that appeal to these QB's. Playing in front of HS crowds/stadiums such as UNH or Villanova does not.
Your programs are well coached, as is ours, and you have put NC caliber teams on the field. Villanova might be on the verge of following UConn and going much bigger than UD but to this point I think we should honor the Pat Devlin, Sonny Riccio, an Joe Flacco requests and give them a Hen's jersey. We.don't want to play against them as Tubby would say.

AAadict
December 7th, 2010, 01:07 AM

No. I don't believe so. Transfers from Ga. Tech, Missouri, Pitt, Ohio State, and Penn State. The pattern is pretty clear.

AAadict
December 7th, 2010, 01:10 AM

I, and the tailgate gang, are rooting for Villanova...but I understand why VU fans are probably rooting for UNH in this one.

fball27
December 7th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Even with his big transfer QB, he still lost to Nova. Good Luck Sat.

cougarpines
December 7th, 2010, 05:06 AM

Sasek & Ritacco are two that come to mind. By the way. Do you think there might be a reason these QB's seek out UD? I would love to get a Flacco/Devlin/Ricco/Hall every year. Why try and rebuild a Camry when I can have a Porsche?

cougarpines
December 7th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Even with his big transfer QB, he still lost to Nova. Good Luck Sat.

Yeah, we got blown out

R3TRO
December 7th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Sasek & Ritacco are two that come to mind. By the way. Do you think there might be a reason these QB's seek out UD? I would love to get a Flacco/Devlin/Ricco/Hall every year. Why try and rebuild a Camery when I can have a Porche?

What the heck is a Camery and a Porche?

cougarpines
December 7th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Fixed it for you.

UncleSam
December 7th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I think the key to the game will be UD's ability to run the ball. UNH's run defense is pretty modest, ranking 7th in the CAA giving up over 150 yrds a game on the ground, if the Hens are able to run for 150+ I think it will be a tough night for the UNH defense. Opponents who have has success vs the UD offense have been able to shut down the Hen's running game, Nova held UD to 66 yrds and W&M 47. If UD gets the running game going, the UD offense will likely score a lot of points as Devlin's passing will become even more effective. If UNH can shut down the ground game their chances will improve dramatically.

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2010/confonly.htm

bluehenbillk
December 7th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Good point on UD's run game - if we can stay two dimensional to a point that's good for our offense & it should slow down UNH's pass rush.

Question for UNH fans: The game against W&M, how did they shut your offense down?

henfan
December 7th, 2010, 07:51 AM

I would hope so. It's a given that any self-respecting UD fan would root against Villanova.

Go Apps!xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
December 7th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Good point on UD's run game - if we can stay two dimensional to a point that's good for our offense & it should slow down UNH's pass rush.

Question for UNH fans: The game against W&M, how did they shut your offense down?

Their defensive line just owned our offensive line. That simple. They were simply better and wanted it more than we did.

Here's another thing. Dontra Peters didn't really play v. BCU or Towson, but here are his other game performances:

In wins:

19 carries, 197 yards
19 carries, 93 yards
9 carries, 11 yards
11 carries, 60 yards
23 carries, 98 yards
12 carries, 157 yards

In losses:

11 carries, 15 yards
7 carries, 9 yards
12 carries, 33 yards
10 carries, 11 yards

With the exception of one 9 carry, 11 yard performance v. Richmond (a game we would have lost had Richmond had a semblance of QB play), if Peters averaged 4+ yards per carry, UNH won. If he didn't, UNH lost. It's a real good measure of performance and likelihood of winning. In the BCU game, Chris Setian picked up the slack for Peters. In the Towson game, it was out of hand real early. The games to focus on, IMO, are 'Nova, JMU and UMass. Peters had a big day, UNH won. Against W&M, Maine, URI and Pitt, Peters was terrible and UNH lost. That's the key to the game.

Mattymc727
December 7th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Peters will likely be 75% though, so Setian will likely fill in most of the void. I doubt Peters gets more than 10 carries so in that case, if you stop the UNH run game as a whole, and get Toman to feel uncomfortable in the pocket, then you can easily handle the UNH offense. I read this morning also that UNH has given up 35 sacks which is most in the CAA, which proves how young and vulnerable our offensive line can be.

Mattymc727
December 7th, 2010, 09:36 AM
to summerise about the UNH offense, if it is clicking on all cylinders, it can be a juggernaut. If the run game is taken away and we become one dementional, Toman really isnt the quarterback to dominate the passing game like Santos was. Under pressure he can make some boneheaded passes sometimes.

UD77
December 7th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Peters will likely be 75% though, so Setian will likely fill in most of the void. I doubt Peters gets more than 10 carries so in that case, if you stop the UNH run game as a whole, and get Toman to feel uncomfortable in the pocket, then you can easily handle the UNH offense. I read this morning also that UNH has given up 35 sacks which is most in the CAA, which proves how young and vulnerable our offensive line can be.

Fortunately for UNH - UD doesn't know what a sack is. For our defense being rated as high as it is we get very few sacks. UD needs to keep UNH one dimensional on offense (shut down the run) then I like the chances of our D-backs controling the passing game. We have given up yards (see the Lehigh stats) but very few points in our passing defense. In all my years of watching football I have noticed that the final score is what matters not how many yards are given up.

On the other side of the ball - we have been very balanced and even when we have had problems running we still were in every game this year. We lost to W&M by one point and to Nova in OT. Missed a last second (long) field goal attempt at W&M and fumbled at the one in OT on first down trying to go into the end zone. So there hasn't been any teams that have put a hurting on us. I also like being home on a Friday night after UNH had to just travel back from Florida last week. Traveling is tiring.

jmufan999
December 7th, 2010, 10:21 AM
i'm not going to read thru 10 pages to see if someone has already said this, but....

common opponents for both teams:
UNH 5-3
UD 6-2

and in those games....UNH scoring offense 24.3
UD scoring offense 28.4

UNH scoring defense 15.9
UD scoring defense 14.9

only common loss between the 2 teams was W&M.

i give UNH a small chance to win, maybe 30%. unless UD gives the game away, they should win.

Oldhen
December 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I don't expect UD to do much different on either side of the ball to begin with.

The defense has been solid enough to start out playing straight up. I expect them to give UNH receivers a respectable cushion and UNH to be able to move the ball passing. I don't think they'll be able to run the ball quite as well. If the past few games are anything to judge by, UD will make some adjustments after the first few UNH possessions, and UNH will find it a bit harder to move the ball. UD's D doesn't blitz much, and really puts a premium on controlling/containing the opposition QB with disciplined pressure. Last week, we gave LU way, way too much time. I expect some wrinkles (and the return of our starting DE's) to ratchet that up.

The way W&M and 'Nova played our O was to do their best to make us one-dimensional (thow out JMU... didn't have Devlin so it's not apples-to-apples). We didn't run a lick against either of them, and lost both games. I expect UNH to play it the same way... overplay the run, pressure the QB, and make the WR's beat you. I'd expect UNH to like the matchups they get that way. They'll get some sacks, but I think UD will adjust. I'd also be really surprised if UNH could shut down the run like 'Nova did.... so I'd expect UD to be able to run some regardless.

Turnovers and quarterbacks... that's how I see it. This time of year, I lusually ook for the best combination of defense and quarterbacking. Here, I think both the defenses will play pretty well, and they're a wash. If that proves true, I think the next factor is whether one team or the other fails to protect the ball. If that's all even, it'll come down to which QB plays the best. That proves to be true, I'll have to go with Devlin.

UNHFootballAlum
December 7th, 2010, 11:01 AM

We became 1 dimensional and very conservative and predictable playcalling. We are no longer one dimensional and the playcalling has become unpredictable

UNHFootballAlum
December 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM

Most of those sacks came earier in the year. As of late the sacks per game has decreased greatly

tribefan40
December 7th, 2010, 12:00 PM
In both games this year W&M run because they shut down the run. The only reason UDel had their chances was because of Devlin who we slowed down but could not stop. I think if both running games are limited advantage definitely goes to UDel. xtwocentsx

bluehenbillk
December 7th, 2010, 12:26 PM
UNH guys can tell me I'm wrong - but from what I've seen of UNH on TV or on highlights they seem to throw more underneath passes, screens & quick passes right at the LOS than any other CAA team I've seen this year.

theUofNH09
December 7th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I would agree. The bubble screen to Terence Fox that we run is one of my favorite plays. We do try the deep ball 4 or 5 times a game as well. Receivers were getting open on it in the BC game but Decker was not connecting. Toman does throw a decent deep ball if he plays.

VUCats02
December 7th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I saw Evans went out in the BCU game. Did he end up returning during that game?

Mattymc727
December 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I saw Evans went out in the BCU game. Did he end up returning during that game?

yes he did

bluehenbillk
December 7th, 2010, 01:47 PM
For what it's worth, UD is listed as a 6 point favorite, the largest point spread of any of the 4 quarterfinal games.

theUofNH09
December 7th, 2010, 02:25 PM
For what it's worth, UD is listed as a 6 point favorite, the largest point spread of any of the 4 quarterfinal games.

Is there an Under/Over with that?

VUCats02
December 7th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Is there an Under/Over with that?

I'm pretty sure it was 39

cowboy91
December 7th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Luckily Devlin doesnt need a jock cause every Delaware fan in here already has Devlin's nuts in their mouth.

If he was at UNH they would be where? xlolx

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Delaware will need to play their best game of the season to seal the victory

cowboy91
December 7th, 2010, 04:43 PM
As will New Hampshire

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM
As will New Hampshire

and more so than Delaware xnodx

cowboy91
December 7th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Seems like to me, that Delaware fans think they're in for a tough game, to the point of "fearing" the matchup, but New Hampshire fans for the most part don't seem to have any "fear" facing Delaware. Or seem to think Devlin isn't that good or something.

Seems like there's a lot more credit from UD fans to UNH, but maybe I'm missing that.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2010, 05:47 PM
UNH has nothing to lose, Delaware fans fearful of UNH based on the fact they always find a way to beat us, our last win was in 2003 on a disputed FG call..
but this is Delaware's game to win

cowboy91
December 7th, 2010, 05:51 PM
New Hampshire doesn't a have Pat Devlin, though. Luckily we do.

The last year to beat them was the year UD won the title.

Ud1Hens
December 7th, 2010, 06:02 PM
UNH has nothing to lose, Delaware fans fearful of UNH based on the fact they always find a way to beat us, our last win was in 2003 on a disputed FG call..
but this is Delaware's game to win

I think they have a lot to lose. They are one of the few CAA teams that consistently make the playoffs yet haven't been able to bring home a title. Some of it may have to do with them rarely getting a home game and having to travel further than most CAA teams have had to early in the playoffs but they have to eventually get to the semis. This could be their year. UD probably has more pressure but UNH has its fair share.

R3TRO
December 7th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I think by saying we have nothing to lose at this point is exactly right. Its not that UNH fans don't respect Delaware and their product on the field, because we do. We know you are a solid team, we know ALL of the hype about Devlin. Its the fact that we have been playing playoff games since Oct. 2nd. This UNH team has shown a lot of grit this year. There will be no shock and awe. UNH will look to step up and go toe to toe, regardless of who it is. I expect a very good game. Not sure who will win, but I hope its the 'Cats.

Wildcat80
December 7th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Oregon Coach's UNH hiring story. Hope Chip has time to send UNH some special plays to beat UDEL!!!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/How-d-Oregon-uncover-the-best-coach-in-football-;_ylt=AhjYziWJhGfblHLipjiKDlzynYl4?urn=ncaaf-292772

Mattymc727
December 7th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Seems like to me, that Delaware fans think they're in for a tough game, to the point of "fearing" the matchup, but New Hampshire fans for the most part don't seem to have any "fear" facing Delaware. Or seem to think Devlin isn't that good or something.

Seems like there's a lot more credit from UD fans to UNH, but maybe I'm missing that.

I think UNH loses a tough one on Friday night. I love the UNH D, best ever. But the truth is we have yet to face a QB like Devlin and even if we can hold them to less than 30 points, I dont have confidence in our offense enough to be able to score the 30 or so needed. Yes the UNH offense has been great against Towson and BCU, but W&M was not long ago. Unless the coaches decide to do that no huddle that worked beautifully against Nova......

NHwildEcat
December 7th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I think UNH loses a tough one on Friday night. I love the UNH D, best ever. But the truth is we have yet to face a QB like Devlin and even if we can hold them to less than 30 points, I dont have confidence in our offense enough to be able to score the 30 or so needed. Yes the UNH offense has been great against Towson and BCU, but W&M was not long ago. Unless the coaches decide to do that no huddle that worked beautifully against Nova......

UD will not score 30 points on us Friday night...UNH wins a tight one with the score in the mid to low 20's...

cowboy91
December 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM
You might be right but of course I will have to disagree. Actually, if UD doesn't score 30 but wins it's okay with me.

UNH Fanboi
December 7th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I agree with the Vegas O/U of 39. Both teams have good defenses and both offenses have generally not put up a lot of points against the better defenses in the CAA. The cold weather and strong winter winds could make passing difficult.

cowboy91
December 7th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Last I saw the winds won't be a factor, but being able to run the ball. It sounds bad and disrespectful and I have no basis for saying it but I think Delaware wins 35-13. And if UNH wins or does the same it won't be a surprise whatsoever to me.

NHwildEcat
December 7th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Last I saw the winds won't be a factor, but being able to run the ball. It sounds bad and disrespectful and I have no basis for saying it but I think Delaware wins 35-13. And if UNH wins or does the same it won't be a surprise whatsoever to me.

In the game of football you never know...things like that can happen. But UNH's defense is one of the best, I would truely be shocked if they gave up 35...I mean UD is not 'Nova...

cowboy91
December 7th, 2010, 09:59 PM
New Hampshire's defense is one of the best, but, at least statistically, Delaware's IS the best in the CAA. And Delaware's offense is better than Villanova's.

I know stats don't really matter once you kick it off, but,

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2010/confldrs.htm

Again, I freely admit I have no basis for thinking that. Maybe because UNH has lost 3 games on the road and has been mentioned before, have been in that playoff mentality for a while now.

rcny46
December 8th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Do any UNH fans know the status of Sean Jellison? He was injured last week in the first half,and I haven't heard anything since.

WrenFGun
December 8th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Do any UNH fans know the status of Sean Jellison? He was injured last week in the first half,and I haven't heard anything since.

Huh, hadn't heard. Might explain Setian's expanded role. Hopefully he'll play as he's a useful receiver out of the backfield, though we're frankly probably better off with Setian running over Jellison.

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I can't see how cold weather will harm the passing game. Devlin did just fine throwing the ball in similar - if not more windy conditions - against Lehigh. You have to remember he was up in Happy Valley for 3 years so this probably isn't even that cold for him - as evidenced by him not even wearing sleeves for the Lehigh game.

GSUhooligan
December 8th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Let's Go Delaware!

$150 plane ticket to Philly > $300 plane ticket to Boston or Manchester

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 8th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Let's Go Delaware!

$150 plane ticket to Philly > $300 plane ticket to Boston or Manchester

If UNH wins you would likely have a home game next week.

um...that is if you also win

UNHWILDCATS05
December 8th, 2010, 09:13 AM
If UNH wins you would likely have a home game next week.

um...that is if you also win

Mr. yorkcounty... tisk tisk... you sir have not been keeping up...

Georgia Southern did not bid for Semis... (http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread.php?12216-How-could-this-happen)

UNH and GSU wins = Semi's in Durham!!! xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

As crazy as that would be...

UNH72Plus
December 8th, 2010, 09:41 AM
New Hampshire's defense is one of the best, but, at least statistically, Delaware's IS the best in the CAA. And Delaware's offense is better than Villanova's.

I know stats don't really matter once you kick it off, but,

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2010/confldrs.htm

Again, I freely admit I have no basis for thinking that. Maybe because UNH has lost 3 games on the road and has been mentioned before, have been in that playoff mentality for a while now.

Just to bore everyone with more statistics, here's a few more:

Sacks - UNH 33 - UD 12
Interceptions UNH 23 - UD 18
Tackles for Loss - UNH 97 - UD 52
Fumble Recoveries - UNH 12 - UD 7

Granted Delaware has better Scoring Defense stats, but rolled into those data are UNH's game against FBS Pittsburgh (38 points) and UD's game against D-II Westchester (0 points). Take those games out of the mix and the difference is about 1 point per game (UNH 14.4 - UD 13.5).

UD77
December 8th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Latest Weather report

Friday
Dec 10
Showers (20% chance)

Hi:35° Lo:31°
Showers. High 35F. Winds S at 10 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:1

It will be cold. Hope it doesn't rain. At those temps one would think snow.

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Just to bore everyone with more statistics, here's a few more:

Sacks - UNH 33 - UD 12
Interceptions UNH 23 - UD 18
Tackles for Loss - UNH 97 - UD 52
Fumble Recoveries - UNH 12 - UD 7

Granted Delaware has better Scoring Defense stats, but rolled into those data are UNH's game against FBS Pittsburgh (38 points) and UD's game against D-II Westchester (0 points). Take those games out of the mix and the difference is about 1 point per game (UNH 14.4 - UD 13.5).

UD hasn't been an attacking defense as much of a solid, good tackling unit. It sounds like bizarro world but UD is last in the league in sacks & #1 in the league in pass efficiency D. The way UD plays D I can't see UNH having much success with bubble pass/screens or quick throws to the flat. When teams have had success throwing against UD it's been on crossing patterns matching WR's or quick RB's on our LB's and throwing in front of our safeties when we play zone. UMass & Lehigh probably had more success throwing the ball this year against UD, but when UD switched to more man coverage against LU last week it caused a bunch of mistakes and indecision on the part of Lehigh. UD's run D has been stellar too, allowing only about 100yds total a game.

I think it's going to come down to UNH throwing against UD & UD trying to stay balanced enough against UNH to slow down the pass rush & be able to throw the whole field.

GannonFan
December 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM
UD hasn't been an attacking defense as much of a solid, good tackling unit. It sounds like bizarro world but UD is last in the league in sacks & #1 in the league in pass efficiency D. The way UD plays D I can't see UNH having much success with bubble pass/screens or quick throws to the flat. When teams have had success throwing against UD it's been on crossing patterns matching WR's or quick RB's on our LB's and throwing in front of our safeties when we play zone. UMass & Lehigh probably had more success throwing the ball this year against UD, but when UD switched to more man coverage against LU last week it caused a bunch of mistakes and indecision on the part of Lehigh. UD's run D has been stellar too, allowing only about 100yds total a game.

I think it's going to come down to UNH throwing against UD & UD trying to stay balanced enough against UNH to slow down the pass rush & be able to throw the whole field.

Yup, I agree with that entirely. The other thing is ball control - UD needs to hold onto the ball and convert drives. UMass moved the ball all over the place on UNH but couldn't convert down deep and had some bad turnovers. Devlin's been great in terms of protecting the ball and Pierce, until the last 2 weeks, had been great as well. UNH almost needs the turnovers to win so not turning it over is going to be a key, especially considering UNH is so good at doing so.

GaSouthern
December 8th, 2010, 01:52 PM
If GSU wins, I hope that Del wins, that is such a great atmosphere to play in! Great fans in Delaware.

cowboy91
December 8th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Has UNH won a quarterfinal game yet? I'm too lazy to look it up at this moment.

GannonFan
December 8th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Has UNH won a quarterfinal game yet? I'm too lazy to look it up at this moment.

Not since 1975 when they won a DII quarterfinal, against Lehigh. They are 0-6 in playoff quarterfinals since then, including 0-5 in I-AA(FCS) quarterfinals - all of those coming since 2004.

cowboy91
December 8th, 2010, 03:02 PM
That fact, and they've lost 3 road games, have essentially been in the playoffs unofficially for a while now, and Delaware has not lost a home playoff game in 10 years are all interesting. Not a guarantee of anything of course.

dwtime
December 8th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Not since 1975 when they won a DII quarterfinal, against Lehigh. They are 0-6 in playoff quarterfinals since then, including 0-5 in I-AA(FCS) quarterfinals - all of those coming since 2004.

That 75 game was incredible, the best football game I've ever been to 100 UNH fans celebrating in a sea of Lehigh fans. I remember going into the locker room and the players were all dancing to KC and the Sunshine Band "Thats the way uh huh uh huh I like it' Bill Bowes even busted out a move or two. Good times. Hopefully Friday the underdogs will come through again, tall task!

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 8th, 2010, 09:40 PM
That 75 game was incredible, the best football game I've ever been to 100 UNH fans celebrating in a sea of Lehigh fans. I remember going into the locker room and the players were all dancing to KC and the Sunshine Band "Thats the way uh huh uh huh I like it' Bill Bowes even busted out a move or two. Good times. Hopefully Friday the underdogs will come through again, tall task!

xsmileyclapx xthumbsupx xsmileyclapx xthumbsupx

Wildcat80
December 8th, 2010, 10:47 PM
If GSU wins, I hope that Del wins, that is such a great atmosphere to play in! Great fans in Delaware.

We can't wait to play you TERRIERS too! :)

R3TRO
December 9th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Toman, Peters, Jellison, and DiLima all a go.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Friday+is+UNH's+big+night&articleId=98693b76-6c8c-4a81-a29e-2c3461265a41

OxSoxUNH05
December 9th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Mr. yorkcounty... tisk tisk... you sir have not been keeping up...

Georgia Southern did not bid for Semis... (http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread.php?12216-How-could-this-happen)

UNH and GSU wins = Semi's in Durham!!! xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

As crazy as that would be...
xnutsxxnutsxxnutsx

Go 'Cats and Go GSU!

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I remember going into the locker room and the players were all dancing to KC and the Sunshine Band "Thats the way uh huh uh huh I like it'

Wow, great song...35 years over the side, KC and the Sunshine band has a different lead singer today and his name is Keeler, he will be singing (not the blues) after the game Friday xlolx

UD77
December 9th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Supposed Big Fluffy officials for this game. Thank the powers to be.

UD77
December 9th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Latest weather for cast

8 PM - 10PM High 32F Low 26F wind 5mph no chance of rain or snow

Old Cat Fan
December 9th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Latest weather for cast

8 PM - 10PM High 32F Low 26F wind 5mph no chance of rain or snow

I would think that UNH traveling to Florida last week and playing in perfect conditions, than flying home with a short week than off to Delaware to play in freezing weather will come into play. Any former players have thoughts on this?

Wildcat80
December 9th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Those are just excuses. Winners overcome all distractuions and get the W!

UNHFootballAlum
December 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
You play when and where the schedule dictates. The travel and weather should have no impact on their effort, heart, desire, and ability to play at a high level. Everything else is an excuse.

Mattymc727
December 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmQt1FP9b3M

Video of the game in 2006. Quite a few stars. This only makes me more excited for friday night

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?364-Delaware-And-New-Hampshire-To-Advance-Win-Bragging-Rights

Hopefully this UNH/Delaware preview - while bringing up the "worst of times" in regards to Northeastern and Hofstra, will also make you more excited for Friday night!

Mattymc727
December 9th, 2010, 03:22 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?365-Fun-And-Loathing-in-the-Northeast-Come-Playoff-Time

Hopefully this UNH/Delaware preview - while bringing up the "worst of times" in regards to Northeastern and Hofstra, will also make you more excited for Friday night!

great article. Has me worried though about the future of UNH football if we dont advance past this game.

Mattymc727
December 9th, 2010, 05:13 PM
07 game........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZSzRGu4SM

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 9th, 2010, 05:21 PM
xnutsxxnutsxxnutsx

Go 'Cats and Go GSU!

You heading south or not big man?

OxSoxUNH05
December 9th, 2010, 05:38 PM
You heading south or not big man?
The game being friday at 8 pushed that out the window. But I've got my beers ready and my couch prepped for this one. It's gonna be a helluva game.

R3TRO
December 9th, 2010, 05:48 PM
The game being friday at 8 pushed that out the window. But I've got my beers ready and my couch prepped for this one. It's gonna be a helluva game.

Copy that, helluva game. I was able to find a store down here that carries Harpoon IPA and I have my fridge stocked for tomorrow night.

cowboy91
December 9th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Was just reading the UNH board. Things to note/comment on. UNH has not faced Delaware since 2007 and they now have a different offensive coordinator. I don't think they're running anything much different at this point, but I don't think the "sign stealing" thing is even factual. Secondly, someone mentioned that they thought Devlin and Toman were "pretty equal in ability". Really? I do keep seeing how Delaware is beatable. Well, so is UNH. Very beatable.

Oldhen
December 9th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Secondly, someone mentioned that they thought Devlin and Toman were "pretty equal in ability". Really? I do keep seeing how Delaware is beatable. Well, so is UNH. Very beatable.

I saw UNH play three times this year, and think they are capable of beating UD when they play their best. I thought their team was solid across the board, and excellent in places. I honestly think UD has an edge most places, but in some areas it's a toss-up.

I didn't think one of those toss-up areas was QB, where I think UD has a decisive edge - and this is one of the reasons I'm picking UD, despite the fact I think the D's are a wash.

I think Toman can execute the UNH offense at a high level, or not. I've been much more impressed with him when UNH is running effectively and he's looked so-so when UNH can't run. Devlin has been pretty consistent in the passing game, whether we could run or not.

He's also been way, way more efficient than Toman season long. I'd really like to see Devlin's efficiency ratings for the second half of the season... right now he's at 156 (compared to Toman's 129). Since he had such a slow start with KC running the ball all the time, I'd guess his efficiency since W&M is up around 170-180. He's just been playing out-of-his-mind.

Is UD beatable? Of course. Both our losses went down to the wire against playoff teams, so UNH would be in the hunt, and I think they're good enough, and the game could very well be decided at the end. I find it hard to bet against Keeler in the post season, and like us at home.

It'll be a great game in a great series.

cowboy91
December 9th, 2010, 10:18 PM
They're just as beatable as we are. That was kind of my point. Toman can pass for 400 yards (not out of the realm of possibilities), but as long as the guys in blue jerseys win I'm okay with that.

Like I said earlier in the week and I have zero logic behind it, but I feel UD actually rolls in this ball game and I could be 100% wrong.

Oldhen
December 9th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Like I said earlier in the week and I have zero logic behind it, but I feel UD actually rolls in this ball game and I could be 100% wrong.

It's crazy to say this about a team that's a seed, going to the quarter finals, and playing well, but UD is still a sleeping giant. I just have absolutely no idea if they're ever going to put a complete game together. If they did, they could beat UNH by 4-5-6 scores.

I'm not expecting that.

First, the offensive coaching side is very, very wedded to balance and ball control. I think this O has a potential for an aggressive offensive mindset and scoring explosiveness that we may well never see. They ever let the kids play... look out.

Ditto with defense. It's all about 'contain and control,' and we never get aggressive and blitz rarely. I think we've got the secondary to play man and go-for-broke blitzing, but that'll probably never happen.

I'd just really hate to see the season end without the coaches going-ballz-to-the-wallz from the kickoff. We're just not making use of the talent edges we have.

cowboy91
December 9th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Playoff time is about running the ball down their throat. Well, trying to anyway. I don't know if it's going to happen though. I would expect to see some quick hitters over the middle, but we'll see what happens.

As you saw in the Lehigh game the defense played much better once they abandoned the blitz and instead played man to man.
They're going to need to TACKLE and be disciplined if they want to win this thing.

UNHFootballAlum
December 9th, 2010, 11:22 PM
It's crazy to say this about a team that's a seed, going to the quarter finals, and playing well, but UD is still a sleeping giant. I just have absolutely no idea if they're ever going to put a complete game together. If they did, they could beat UNH by 4-5-6 scores.

I'm not expecting that.

First, the offensive coaching side is very, very wedded to balance and ball control. I think this O has a potential for an aggressive offensive mindset and scoring explosiveness that we may well never see. They ever let the kids play... look out.

Ditto with defense. It's all about 'contain and control,' and we never get aggressive and blitz rarely. I think we've got the secondary to play man and go-for-broke blitzing, but that'll probably never happen.

I'd just really hate to see the season end without the coaches going-ballz-to-the-wallz from the kickoff. We're just not making use of the talent edges we have.

Against lehigh, UD started blitzing and Lum threw the ball very well worked so Keeler went back to the vanilla defense (His words) that had worked all year. Based on that I invite UD to bltz UNH

AppMAN04
December 10th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Gametime! goodluck to both squads...

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2010, 05:17 AM

Certianly something to be said for all of this, but the last sentence prelexes me some. I am of the humble opinion that they play this style because it's the best style for the players they have.... I would be surprised if anything changes tonight on offense besides a brief wrinkle or two tossed in for good measure and that aint such a bad thing

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Secondly, someone mentioned that they thought Devlin and Toman were "pretty equal in ability". Really? I do keep seeing how Delaware is beatable. Well, so is UNH. Very beatable.

Toman certianly has the raw ability but quickly falls behind Devlin in the "getting it" department

OxSoxUNH05
December 10th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Game Day! Only thing between me and my beer is 8 hours of work. Turnovers are going to be the key tonight. Hope everyone going to the game stays warm and may the 'Cats win!

Oldhen
December 10th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Certianly something to be said for all of this, but the last sentence prelexes me some. I am of the humble opinion that they play this style because it's the best style for the players they have.... I would be surprised if anything changes tonight on offense besides a brief wrinkle or two tossed in for good measure and that aint such a bad thing

If I were the HC, I'd have Thaxton, White, Hayes, and Jones on the field all the time on O. I'd throw 75% of the time, and I'd not look at routes underneath coverage.

No guts no glory.

AAadict
December 10th, 2010, 06:54 AM
UD likely does have the best QB of all the teams in the playoffs. What will make the game so interesting is that UNH seems to have the best defensive line in terms of sacks. KC reported that they use a 4 down lineman system and all 4 are in the top 20 in sacks. That's very impressive. KC also called the UNH coach the best prepared coach in FCS.
It looks like with 4 great d-linemen pressuring Devlin on most pass plays our offense is going to have to be able to run the ball and hit some quick passes. I don't see our o-line containing what might be the best d-line in FCS. We are used to playing against 3 down linemen. If we can't adjust to that pressure the 3rd and 18's are gonna kill us tonight.

Oh...and I have confidence that our D will give up 400 yards and less than 20 pts. Strangest best Defensive unit I have ever seen.

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:12 AM
They're just as beatable as we are. That was kind of my point. Toman can pass for 400 yards (not out of the realm of possibilities), but as long as the guys in blue jerseys win I'm okay with that.

I don't think anyone rationally believes Toman is better than Devlin..or as good.

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I really have no idea how I'm supposed to get through work today..

For the SIXTH time in SEVEN years, UNH has a chance to take the next step as a program. Will it finally happen? I sure hope so.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2010, 07:37 AM
If I were the HC, I'd have Thaxton, White, Hayes, and Jones on the field all the time on O. I'd throw 75% of the time, and I'd not look at routes underneath coverage.

No guts no glory.

This would be a fans fantasy land for sure, so why dont they play this style? I am not so sure they have the WR's to do so....but not convinced either, just preplexing. KC has recently admitted (to the delight of some) that he is a bit hard headed, maybe that has more to do with it than anything

Wildcat80
December 10th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I don't think anyone rationally believes Toman is better than Devlin..or as good.

All that matters is that he is better than him tonite! Go Cats!!

Wildcat80
December 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
9 hours to kickoff....start warming the seats!!

Mattymc727
December 10th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I'm starting to get a real bad feeling about this game for UNH. I still think Toman is less than 100% and he still starts which to me, will only lead to a sputtering offense. UD is going to score 21 points no matter how good our defense is. I just dont think an injured Toman can get this O to 20. I would actually feel a bit better if we started Decker.

bluehenbillk
December 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
For me this was the hardest game all year to come up with a score. UD's offense I feel really good about tonight & the defense is playing pretty well too, maybe not lights out, but UNH isn't a real strong run team so I look for UNH to throw almost as much as Lehigh did last week. 2 best secondaries in the CAA out there tonight, I'm leaving work at 5 to go, god am I going to be a waste of space until then.

I'm going to go with UD 28 - UNH 21

ud_hens
December 10th, 2010, 11:56 AM
7 hours, this is killing me.

theUofNH09
December 10th, 2010, 12:01 PM
BEAT MAINE! BEAT DELAWARE! GO 'CATS!

cowboy91
December 10th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Despite the recent 400 yard games UD's defense is still #1 in scoring and yards per game, somehow. It's not like there's a vast difference in pass defense between #2 UNH and #5 UD (about 6 yards)

Delaware has the better offensive and better defense. I know that doesn't mean they will win, but they 'should'.

UncleSam
December 10th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I think the scoring in this one will be lower than most expect, I'd put the over/under at about 36 points.

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Despite the recent 400 yard games UD's defense is still #1 in scoring and yards per game, somehow. It's not like there's a vast difference in pass defense between #2 UNH and #5 UD (about 6 yards)

Delaware has the better offensive and better defense. I know that doesn't mean they will win, but they 'should'.

It's just not a very good comparison when you consider the fact that UD faced Westchester and UNH faced PITT.

Wildcat80
December 10th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I'm starting to get a real bad feeling about this game for UNH. I still think Toman is less than 100% and he still starts which to me, will only lead to a sputtering offense. UD is going to score 21 points no matter how good our defense is. I just dont think an injured Toman can get this O to 20. I would actually feel a bit better if we started Decker.

I'm starting to get a real good feeling about this game!! Time for UNH to break thru as underdogs!!

Old Cat Fan
December 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Would like to see the Cats run Peters behind Satian in an I formation, a little something different to keep the Hens guessing on the run game. There are times over the last couple of years UNH has miss a real good fullback, Satian can move people.

cowboy91
December 10th, 2010, 01:41 PM
It's just not a very good comparison when you consider the fact that UD faced Westchester and UNH faced PITT.

South Dakota State vs. Central Connecticut State.

cowboy91
December 10th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Find it interesting how stats don't matter - unless they happen to favor UNH. And that's off another board, not this.

bluehenbillk
December 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I'm getting tired of the talk - one hour till I leave the office for the parking lots - let's get it on!!

Ivytalk
December 10th, 2010, 03:02 PM
didn't you pick UNH to beat Del on another thread?

Not me!

Wildcat80
December 10th, 2010, 03:04 PM
From Citizen.com

But you know what? UNH has the better record over the past seven years (65-24 compared to UD's 51-34). And, UNH is the team that's made the tournament every year during that span. Delaware's been left home four times. UNH has won the last three regular-season meetings. What's the difference between the programs? Well, Delaware won it all in 2003 and then returned to the national championship game in 2007. The Blue Hens have traveled the championship road to its end.

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 03:35 PM
South Dakota State vs. Central Connecticut State.

Yes. Central Connecticut State was likely better..

UNHFootballAlum
December 10th, 2010, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=cowboy91;1598075]Find it interesting how stats don't matter - unless they happen to favor UNH. And that's off another board

There are really only a few stats that matter IMHO. 3rd down conversion (offense and defense), & Turnover ratio. Those are the measuring stick that decides many if not most games.

UNHFootballAlum
December 10th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Chip Kelly is at the game tonight. Hopefully that is a good sign for UNH

Old Cat Fan
December 10th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Well Blue keys wasn't far off in his audio thread, college football preview show goes to the Tub where Pam Ward previews the game and " Penn state" transfer Delvin is mentioned than at the end of the show they give us the tweet of the day that Chip Kelly is in the house and UNH offense will look like Oregons

R3TRO
December 10th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I can't believe the UNH forum's server is full.

heath
December 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM
GAME ON<may the team that has the best chance to win in FRICO,do so!UD 34-24

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM
SACK FIRST PLAY!

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:07 PM
DELAWARE THREE AND OUT!!! LETS GO UNH!!

heath
December 10th, 2010, 07:07 PM
low attendance?empty seats. All at home watching on TV?

heath
December 10th, 2010, 07:08 PM
UNH will have to pass 90% of time to be successful

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
UNH looking bad on first two offensive plays. 3rd and 15 here at the UNH 33.

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Toman gets sacked on 3rd and 15 on a 3 man rush. He just didn't move away from the guy...ugh.

JSUBison
December 10th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Good job ESPN, go to a commercial after the ref throws a flag. WHAT WAS IT FOR?

Jackman
December 10th, 2010, 07:12 PM
These punts look like they're kicking rocks.

OxSoxUNH05
December 10th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Ugly start for toman.

Old Cat Fan
December 10th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Toman gets sacked on 3rd and 15 on a 3 man rush. He just didn't move away from the guy...ugh.

Toman never can make a snap decision to throw away or take off been like that his 3 years

UNHFootballAlum
December 10th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Toman needs to step up on that pressure

Tod
December 10th, 2010, 07:17 PM
VP Biden at the game! Cool! Field looks great, ESPN doing a pretty good job. Starting to see a little O now, should be a good game! Good luck to both teams.

heath
December 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM
VP Biden at the game! Cool! Field looks great, ESPN doing a pretty good job. Starting to see a little O now, should be a good game! Good luck to both teams.

BIDEN is a jinx

rcny46
December 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I have the feeling that it's going to be a long night if Jellison is the primary back for UNH tonight.

UNHFootballAlum
December 10th, 2010, 07:20 PM
good tackle by Evans

UNH_BLUE
December 10th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Let's go Toman!

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Fox just made the greatest catch I've ever seen.

UNH_BLUE
December 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Great grab by Fox! Toman needs to get confidence. He's got a funny release right now.

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Back to back first downs...Peters hurt again it seems..

UNH driving a bit.

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:25 PM
FIRST DOWN TOMANNNNNN! UNH DOWN TO THE UD 35!

UNHFootballAlum
Great quick decision by Toman

UNH_BLUE
Nice run by Toman. Looks like he's good to go!

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:26 PM
TOMAN BOWLS OVER SOMEONE, UNH DOWN TO THE 10.

UNHFootballAlum
December 10th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Toman runs over the DB

Tod
December 10th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Crowd looks scarce. That's a shame.

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM
3-0 UNH, 2:35 left in the first.

UNHFootballAlum
December 10th, 2010, 07:30 PM
a better start than last years game

dwtime
December 10th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Cats strike first 3-0. C'mon now D stop the Blue Hens

Guess
December 10th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Both these teams lack speed.

inpsite1919
December 10th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Good Stick

UNHFootballAlum
December 10th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Instant replay...who knew

inpsite1919
December 10th, 2010, 07:35 PM
replays

Old Cat Fan
December 10th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Satian needs to be the back he runs people over. jellison boucnces off people

inpsite1919
December 10th, 2010, 07:36 PM
3rd down

UNHFootballAlum
December 10th, 2010, 07:37 PM
good call

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:37 PM
SACK MCNALLY! DELAWARE WILL HAVE TO PUNT.

UNHFootballAlum
December 10th, 2010, 07:39 PM
UD DL pushed OL into backfield

Jackman
December 10th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Dumb clip.

UNHFootballAlum
December 10th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Toman bailing out of pocket too soon. he has time in the pocket

Wildcat80
December 10th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Peters is not running hard!? Setian??

CSN-info
December 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM
If you want to keep up with the College Sporting News blog on the game, check in here:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/entry.php?127-New-Hampshire-at-Delaware&bt=721

NEWARK, De. — There is something extra special about a Friday night football game. While some people think of high school games on Fridays, it reminds me of championship college football.

More precisely the NCAA Division I Football Championships.

In the past, Friday nights in December have been for one of the two FCS semifinals and the national championship game.

But for the first time ever, we have a quarterfinal-round on ESPN2 on Friday night as New Hampshire and Delaware battle for a trip to the semifinals.

It should be an entertaining game.

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:50 PM
DEVLIN SACKED AGAIN. McNally is owning right now.

Old Cat Fan
December 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Bad offense on both sides or just real good defense ?

UNH_BLUE
December 10th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Fantastic defense UNH!!!

I likes what I see.

OxSoxUNH05
December 10th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Defense is playing good. Come n cats get a drive together

Mr. C
December 10th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Dumb clip.

Particularly when you do it in front of the official. BTW, the crew for this game is from the SoCon, led by referee Ed Rhodes, the Ed Hoculy of FCS.

UNH_BLUE
December 10th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Toman bailing out of pocket too soon. he has time in the pocket

I know. I don't like what he's thinking right now.

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 07:56 PM
This is a defensive slugfest. UNH's offense looks horrible slighting one drive. Penalties have been a big factor.

MorgantonAPPAlum
December 10th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Bad offense on both sides or just real good defense ?

The defenses are playing well, but I'm going to have to go with bad offenses xtwocentsx .

Old Cat Fan
December 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Big punt Cats

WrenFGun
Auffray with the greatest punt I've ever seen.

67 yard punt puts UD back at their 9. Talk about a field position reversal...

UNH_BLUE
Great Great punt.

We need halftime quick.

Tod
December 10th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Auffray with the greatest punt I've ever seen.

67 yard punt puts UD back at their 9. Talk about a field position reversal...

Wow! Punter looks to be a pretty big dude. Actually down to the 7...

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Delaware driving a bit here after the nice punt ... up to the UNH 40 or so and 2nd and short here.

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Currently getting picked apart here. UNH needs to press cover here.

UNHFootballAlum
December 10th, 2010, 08:03 PM
UNH needs to blitz away from the bunch formation