PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern @ Wofford playoff style

Pages : [1] 2

gsu1moretime
December 4th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Where will this be? who has the edge? Where will I be tailgaiting?

gasoutherneagle
December 4th, 2010, 04:05 PM
At Paulson (probably). If history shows, Wofford won't match our bid.

GEORGIA SOUTHERN: Wofford has PAYBACK coming!

Hell, see you on row G.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 4th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Nobody knows yet. The Wofford people are saying it's in Spartanburg but my neighbor who has lunch w/ coach once a week is saying it will be here and that he heard that from Sam Baker's mouth.

The NCAA hasn't said anything yet so it is officially unknown. Anyone saying anything else is not credible.

gsu1moretime
December 4th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Heard our AD didn't make a bid. So I think I am heading to wofford. but away teams usually wins this contest...

straightshooter
December 4th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Heard our AD didn't make a bid. So I think I am heading to wofford. but away teams usually wins this contest...

Game is at Wofford, but this is not the same team that Wofford played in early October. Look for things to be different this time around.

gsu1moretime
December 4th, 2010, 04:12 PM
On the radio they said it was at wofford. But I can tell you one thing. Our Defense has a different mind set the last 5 games...

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Who would have thought preseason that these two teams would be playing in the quarterfinals. Wow.

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 04:14 PM
There is a reason you play the game, because anything can happen... but based on the way GSU is playing in hte last few weeks, I'd be real suprised if the Eagles didn't win by 20. They are just THAT STRONG right now...they have found the Magic!!!

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 4th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Well this sucks. Said neighbor just got a phone call saying that it will be in Spartanburg. Eeeewww... What a gross town to have to play in.

boonegoon
December 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Well this sucks. Said neighbor just got a phone call saying that it will be in Spartanburg. Eeeewww... What a gross town to have to play in.

I kind of agree with you but are you sure you can throw rocks?

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 04:19 PM

Too Funny!!!!! I remember wearing helmets to the bus!!!

gasoutherneagle
December 4th, 2010, 04:23 PM

Hold your stones, too, big guy. I seem to remember a goalpost/bus window issue in Boone.xlolx

woffordgrad94
December 4th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Those of you dissing Spartanburg can bite my harry white a ss. And there is NO F-ING WAY GSU wins by 20. This will be another close game- and another Terrier victory. I guarantee it, just like Joe Namath did Super Bowl III.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Going to say the same thing I said on the other FCS board...

We are better than we were when we played Wofford in October.

On the other hand, GSU was lucky to have only lost the last one by two. We got a safety, recovered a fumble in the end zone, and a blatant block in the back the refs missed helped us get a long TD run. Not to mention Wofford shot themselves in the foot with 97 yards of penalties.

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Those of you dissing Spartanburg can bite my harry white a ss. And there is NO F-ING WAY GSU wins by 20. This will be another close game.

Easy Trigger...I'm not bustin on Woffy, I think you guys are pretty strong, I just think GSU is really peaking at the right time. I think if they stay healthy, they play in Frisco. I'm just saying!

proasu89
December 4th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Way to go SoCon! I'm hoping this game is on the opposite day from ours. Really want to see this one.

gasoutherneagle
December 4th, 2010, 04:41 PM
xrulesx
I guarantee it

Just be back here after the game for your helping of crow, should that "guarantee" fall short.

gsu1moretime
December 4th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Last four games between Wofford and Georgia Southern. Away team wins..

gsu1moretime
December 4th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Im hoping this game is not on saturday. Thats Graduation day for some students...

SpeedkingATL
December 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Way to go SoCon! I'm hoping this game is on the opposite day from ours. Really want to see this one.

Ditto!

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Just got back from the GSU - W&M game... Georgia Southern looked very, very good (obviously). Both offense and defense were at the top of their game. I think GSU beats Wofford by 2+ scores.... especially if it's in Statesboro.

eaglesrback
December 4th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Take Notice FCS. The GEORGIA SOUTHERN EAGLES are BACK!

GSUalumni
December 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Eagle fans, just booked my room at the Fairfeild Marriott in Spartanburg. Let's fill this stadium!!! Go Eagles, GATA!

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2010, 08:01 PM
should be a good game. Our pass defense looks vulnerable but I don't think that will be too big of a factor. Wofford didn't play well today because of the off week I think (as did JSU). Not to deprive GSU of their victory, W&M couldn't of stopped their offense if they played 2 weeks ago but I think the week off didn't quite help them either whereas GSU was coming in kind of hot.

Wofford did all they could to lose the last game, call it the magic of Paulson. We dominated the LOS defensively on that one and gaffed on many playcalls. Against Chatty and JSU our playcalling has drastically improved, execution hurt though. Wofford hasn't lost a game at home this year. If we play our best game, we win this one. We won't be looking forward to next week during this one. This is the biggest game of the year. Personally I think GSU is our biggest rival because every year it seems to be a game within a TD. Couple key points: the last 5 years the away team has won. When Wofford plays at Paulson, they get up a couple scores and then GSU comes back and makes a game of it (the magic of Paulson), when it's played at Gibbs it goes back and forth. in 2007 the Payton winner ruined homecoming, in 2009 the walking wounded lost a close one, a healthy Terrier team that plays smart wins this one I think. Georgia southern is back either way

Baldy
December 4th, 2010, 08:19 PM
If GSU plays as good as they did today, your best won't matter, Wofford loses.

eagle07
December 4th, 2010, 08:28 PM
If GSU plays as good as they did today, your best won't matter, Wofford loses.

agree, completely different team than the one wofford faced earlier in the season....

SoCon48
December 4th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Hold your stones, too, big guy. I seem to remember a goalpost/bus window issue in Boone.xlolx

NCAA didn't make us put up plywood, ya know. Besides, don't park your bus where goalposts have to come through.

drpnut
December 4th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Woffy is not same team either... We Have the best d in the conference... And we like being the underdog... You see all year folks have picked against us... said we would lose to Elon, Chatty, Appy, GaSouth... we lost only one of those... we can play "slober-knockers" like today at Jax St. or we can pour ir on like against chatty... and we only really sucked once (appy)...

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2010, 09:04 PM
don't park your bus where goalposts have to come through.

That's pretty funny!

seantaylor
December 4th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Woffy is not same team either... We Have the best d in the conference... And we like being the underdog... You see all year folks have picked against us... said we would lose to Elon, Chatty, Appy, GaSouth... we lost only one of those... we can play "slober-knockers" like today at Jax St. or we can pour ir on like against chatty... and we only really sucked once (appy)...

No you don't. GSU' D is better than Woffies.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Wofford may not have the best D in the conference but we match up with GSU just as well as GSU's D matches up real well with us.

citdog
December 4th, 2010, 09:13 PM
the ankle biting nuisance dogs vs the eaglets of pigs @ss, ga???????? it doesn't really matter who wins because they're both losers. xlolxxrotatehxxrulesx
I kid...I kid

Woffy 24-21

apaladin
December 4th, 2010, 10:13 PM
IMHO this game should be at GSU for attendance reasons. WC will get maybe 5,000 to the game, probably less so it depends on how many GSU brings. GSU could easily have more people there. I would suspect GSU will easily fill the 1500-2000 visitor side seats.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I doubt we will only have 5k there. We should bring about 7 or 8k on our part. GSU will probably fill their side and it will be practically a neutral site :( I'll take that over Paulson though

Eaglesrus
December 4th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I don't know how many Wofford will have there, but I'll be very surprised if GSU doesn't have as many. I buy 6 GSU season tickets but will be ordering 8 on Monday for this one.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I don't know how many Wofford will have there, but I'll be very surprised if GSU doesn't have as many. I buy 6 GSU season tickets but will be ordering 8 on Monday for this one.

I can't believe I'm saying this but you don't need to worry about it selling out......:(

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 4th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Just wondering but I thought the NCAA banned any school in the state of S.C. from hosting a playoff event?

gsu1moretime
December 4th, 2010, 11:11 PM
coastal carolina hosted.. so i guess thats not the same anymore...

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Just wondering but I thought the NCAA banned any school in the state of S.C. from hosting a playoff event?

only a championship game. Wofford has hosted 3 playoff games prior

walliver
December 4th, 2010, 11:27 PM

Teams from SC can host a playoff/championship game as long as the game is hosted by a participating school. Essentially, the only games banned by the NAACP/NCAA are bowl games and basketball regionals/finals.

Mattymc727
December 5th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Wofford would really only host less than 5000? I feel like any of the remaining playoff teams from the SouthernConf. could put up way higher than this. Either way I think GSU wins in a close one. That Triple option just wears you down

ThompsonThe
December 5th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Why was it that your team drove that bus to Boone with those brokern windows? Can't believe your bus was trying to play defense against that goal post, guess they figured your other defense couldn't do the job that day.

Wofford would really only host less than 5000? I feel like any of the remaining playoff teams from the SouthernConf. could put up way higher than this. Either way I think GSU wins in a close one. That Triple option just wears you down Both run a form of triple option. Playing at Wofford, GaSo may have more people there than Wofford. Really a pretty neutral site. Not too bad a drive for GaSo fans.

SC-T-Dogg
December 5th, 2010, 07:30 AM

Spartanburg gross......really? Coming from someone who is in Statesboro!

I guess the Eeeewww comes from the fact we do not allow inbreeding in the Upstate? Just do the family thing before you come..............

millwoga1
December 5th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Wofford would really only host less than 5000? I feel like any of the remaining playoff teams from the SouthernConf. could put up way higher than this. Either way I think GSU wins in a close one. That Triple option just wears you down

Last home playoff game 2007 (held on first week in Dec. rather than second) attendance was roughly 8,000 and that was against Richmond. I don't know who said 5000 but that won't be close. Ga. Southern will travel in full for this game and bring more than Richmond did.

wmmii
December 5th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Have not seen Woffold play but GSU looked very good at our house yesteday. Either way the winner will meet a CAA team in the semi for a titan battle!

blueballs
December 5th, 2010, 10:51 AM

You realize GSU's first team defense has only given up one second half TD in the last 6 games, right? And two of the teams who were shut out in the second half were the SoCon and CAA champs respectively, right? And the one TD they surrendered came as a result of a first and goal after a turnover, right?

Just checking.....

millwoga1
December 5th, 2010, 11:38 AM
You realize GSU's first team defense has only given up one second half TD in the last 6 games, right? And two of the teams who were shut out in the second half were the SoCon and CAA champs respectively, right? And the one TD they surrendered came as a result of a first and goal after a turnover, right?

Just checking.....

You do realize Ga. southern has given up more points in last six games than wofford right?

Terrierforlife
December 5th, 2010, 12:10 PM
GSU has been impressive. Simply good SOCON ball is all. But don't get carried away about beating my Terriers. There's nothing but hard times waiting for GSU fans in Spartanburg!

gsu1moretime
December 5th, 2010, 12:12 PM
So what day and what time is this game? ncaa has all the other games posted date and time and its still tbd for this game..

blueballs
December 5th, 2010, 12:28 PM
You do realize Ga. southern has given up more points in last six games than wofford right?

4 more... a scant .667 per game more. My point remains though about GSU's first team defense.

GSC75
December 5th, 2010, 12:30 PM
GSU has been impressive. Simply good SOCON ball is all. But don't get carried away about beating my Terriers. There's nothing but hard times waiting for GSU fans in Spartanburg!

I love to read this kind of stuff... sounds like some of the Tribe's comments last week... I don't think you'll see the same team you played earlier.

GSU EAGLES
December 5th, 2010, 12:34 PM

It is playoff time. We will be bringing Beautiful Eagle Creek water on Saturday to sprinkle on the field like we did with William and Mary. Not to mention our fans will take over Wofford's stadium.

wocorebel
December 5th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I love to read this kind of stuff... sounds like some of the Tribe's comments last week... I don't think you'll see the same team you played earlier.

The same can be said for the Eagles. Wofford wasn't perfect in the first match and neither was GSU. Both have gotten better and if Wofford brings there complete game, like against Chatty or Furman, it will be a tough day for GSU. NCAA, please make this a day game because if you make it a night game (and I know they will because they hate Wofford), I can't make it because I have a prior commitment to go to a Christmas party.

Reign of Terrier
December 5th, 2010, 12:42 PM
4 more... a scant .667 per game more. My point remains though about GSU's first team defense.

Wofford has played better offenses the last 6 games too: App State, Elon, Chattanooga, Jacksonville State to name a few. We shut down Samford and The Citadel (3 points total for both) and held half of those top offenses listed to 1 offensive TD, we shut down Elon in the first half. App had our number. GSU has played the likes of Samford, Western Carolina, Furman, South Carolina State, not really offensive juggernauts. You shut down App better than anyone, I concede that point. William and Mary did not have a good offense, and with the exception of UD, I think the CAA teams don't have very good offenses (but great defenses) but we'll have to see.

I don't want to tear down W&M but I have a hard time thinking that GSU dominated that game just because they were that much better. W&M doesn't play option teams and they CLEARLY didn't know how to defend it. William and Mary lost that game defensively just as much as GSU won it. Teams like SC State, App State, Samford, Chattanooga, Wofford, heck even Western and the Citadel, from a statistical standpoint (and just watching them play defense) played better defense against that offense than William and Mary. Granted, GSU has improved over the season and thus are better when they played some of those games but it was clear W&M was clueless. GSU should be favored in this game, but I wouldn't be surprised if Wofford pulled it out. I like our chances at home even though it will be practically a neutral field. It's better than Paulson.

gsu1moretime
December 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Ok I have no disrespect to wofford. But you were playing jaybo shaw at 60-70% health and our 5th string fullback in Lee Banks. And we still put up 31 points. With a health like backfeild with Robert Brown and Healthy Jaybo Shaw I think you will see it a little different. Minus GSU loosing Nico Hickey, and an unknown status for Darieon Robinson... With Jaybo Shaw and Robert Brown healthy the only game they lost was Navy. And I am pretty sure Brown was hurt.

gsu6trophies
December 5th, 2010, 01:16 PM
This game has a lot of pros and cons for GSU.

Pros: Chance for revenge. Not far to travel. An opponent we know.

Cons: A team that, for some strange reason, has had our number more than any other team in the last eight seasons. Added pressure of seeking revenge. A team that is familiar with our unique offense. And another SoCon team.

Should be a good one. We seem to be on a hot streak, but Wofford has really only had one weak game all season. Hopefully we can find something in the App State film that we didn't try last time.

ButlerGSU
December 5th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Should be another great game between two great schools! G'luck to both but Go Eagles!

Reign of Terrier
December 5th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Ok I have no disrespect to wofford. But you were playing jaybo shaw at 60-70% health and our 5th string fullback in Lee Banks. And we still put up 31 points. With a health like backfeild with Robert Brown and Healthy Jaybo Shaw I think you will see it a little different. Minus GSU loosing Nico Hickey, and an unknown status for Darieon Robinson... With Jaybo Shaw and Robert Brown healthy the only game they lost was Navy. And I am pretty sure Brown was hurt.
Wofford did all it could to lose that game. You didn't put up 31 points. You put up 22. We had some poor call on our own goalline which lead to a defensive touchdown and safety. Another Touchdown was off of a long 78 yard run in which I've heard a GSU fan say there was a blatant block in the back..so 15 points maybe? Our DL DOMINATED that game, our offense after putting up some scores did everything it could to lose (that seems to happen every time we go to Paulson), not to mention we missed 2 PATs.

Eagle16
December 5th, 2010, 05:42 PM
It's going to be a completely different game than the last time we met. Both teams have improved, and I don't expect to see the mistakes both teams made back then. For either side to try and compare what happened in that earlier game to predict this game is silly. It was 8 games ago for the Eagles and 7 for the Terriers, and all of the practice and repetitions do nothing but improve the players.

The Eagle's confidence level is high from successful games since App State. I wonder about Wofford's confidence after a deflating loss to App, and a hard fought 2nd round game? Also, the Eagles want revenge. Does that give them an extra boost?

The Eagles have been on a roll, and I hope that momentum helps in this game. I'll admit that I'm always worried about Wofford, but I have no doubts that we can win the game. It's going to be a great hard-fought game.

whoanellie
December 5th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Aren't there laws about transporting Malarya infested water over state borders? citizen's arrest!!!!
It is playoff time. We will be bringing Beautiful Eagle Creek water on Saturday to sprinkle on the field like we did with William and Mary. Not to mention our fans will take over Wofford's stadium.

straightshooter
December 5th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Wofford did all it could to lose that game. You didn't put up 31 points. You put up 22. We had some poor call on our own goalline which lead to a defensive touchdown and safety. Another Touchdown was off of a long 78 yard run in which I've heard a GSU fan say there was a blatant block in the back..so 15 points maybe? Our DL DOMINATED that game, our offense after putting up some scores did everything it could to lose (that seems to happen every time we go to Paulson), not to mention we missed 2 PATs.

You sure do a lot of barking for a little dog that's never seen a GSU/Wofford game in person. Not sure how you heard someone say something when you weren't even there. Oh....I read your comments on the Woffy board. Be careful...you don't want to become bulletin board material do you?

seantaylor
December 5th, 2010, 10:45 PM

Hmm. Didn't realize the scoreboard didn't count defensive TD's or safetys. And the only offensive score that counts is 20 yards or less.

SouthernStyle
December 6th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Aren't there laws about transporting Malarya infested water over state borders? citizen's arrest!!!!

So what are you doing this weekend since you arent playing???xbawlingx
BTW enjoy being a bottom feeder now thta your whiney QB is leavingxlolx

T-Dawg95
December 6th, 2010, 07:44 AM
You sure do a lot of barking for a little dog that's never seen a GSU/Wofford game in person. Not sure how you heard someone say something when you weren't even there. Oh....I read your comments on the Woffy board. Be careful...you don't want to become bulletin board material do you?

If your team finds bulletin board material out of a fan's statement, that's pretty sad.

While the away team has won the series, that state is terribly missleading.

2006 - A better Wofford team pounds GSU during that ugly year.
2007- The better team won by GSU getting out ahead early.
2008 - A game that never should have gone to OT did because of Wofford's offensive mistakes & a fumble returned for TD by GSU.
2009 - Two poor teams played an ugly game in which GSU came out on top.
2010 - Similar to 2008, Wofford wins up front but GSU finds unorthodox ways to score.
2010 Playoff edition - ?

There's won't be any magic of Paulson in the playoff game. When Wofford hosted Richmond in 2007 had tickets sales officially 8,500. The actual attendance was roughly 11,000. I expect better turnout this year because Richmond didn't bring many fans.

GaSouthern
December 6th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I think GSU will bring at least 3K fans honestly.

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 08:19 AM

Regardless of who shows up, there are NO wins in our house!

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM

You need only be concerned with your teams inability to take over the field, where it counts!

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Hmm. Didn't realize the scoreboard didn't count defensive TD's or safetys. And the only offensive score that counts is 20 yards or less.

C'mon man, safety, fake punt, on side kick! Do you really think that will happen again!!!!!!!??????

straightshooter
December 6th, 2010, 08:34 AM
C'mon man, safety, fake punt, on side kick! Do you really think that will happen again!!!!!!!??????

Yea, but it might be Ayers trying it this time.

GaSouthern
December 6th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I read this game will be on MASN Direct TV Channel 640 this weekend!

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 08:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7HbJKjz3IQ

A quick review for everyone. It was a great game no matter what anyone says. Part two at our place!

gsu1moretime
December 6th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Away team won last 4 games...

Baldy
December 6th, 2010, 09:39 AM
It happens all the time. It happened against Navy, Wofford, Furman (I think), and SC State multiple times. We also ran back a plocked XP for 2 points against CCU.
I'll say it again, if we played like we did Saturday, you lose no matter how good your team plays. xnodx

straightshooter
December 6th, 2010, 09:46 AM
The game in early October was a great one, but I can assure you that the team that takes the field for GSU on Saturday is light years better than it was then. GSU was playing without a number of key starters in that game and the offense was still finding itself, especially the OL. Four brand new starters there who had never run this offense, including two true freshmen made things tough on QB Shaw. The FB in that game was the #5 guy in the spring and #4 at the start of fall camp. From the App State game on, the Eagles have played at a totally different level. I think we can all agree on that.

Obviously Wofford is a very good team and they understand how to defend the GSU option since they run the option too. These games are always hard fought, and I'm sure this one will be as well. I just think the outcome will be different this time around. Home teams haven't fared well in this series lately.

gsu6trophies
December 6th, 2010, 10:10 AM

I believe the term your looking for is Opportunistic. This team has been very opportunistic lately. You have to be good to capatilize on mistakes and opportunities. I hope we continue to be opportunistic.

SpeedkingATL
December 6th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Congrats to both the Terriers and Eagles for making it to the quarters. This should be a very interesting game and the only prediction I will make is that it will be a sloberknocker! Good luck on Saturday and special thanks to the Eagles for GATA and laying the lumber to the CAA Champs at their place!!

AppAlum2003
December 6th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I love seeing when a team has a good season. For some reason, at the same time, we see this huge influx of posters with Join Dates within the last few months or post counts in the 20s. And then after one of those teams loses, we don't see those folks anymore. :)

ButlerGSU
December 6th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Good luck on Saturday and special thanks to the Eagles for GATA and laying the lumber to the CAA Champs at their place!!

Thanks! Best of luck to App State this weekend! Hope to see you in Texas ;-)

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM
You mean like the coincidence of your posts and Apps. championships? Glass houses.

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 10:40 AM
The game in early October was a great one, but I can assure you that the team that takes the field for GSU on Saturday is light years better than it was then. GSU was playing without a number of key starters in that game and the offense was still finding itself, especially the OL. Four brand new starters there who had never run this offense, including two true freshmen made things tough on QB Shaw. The FB in that game was the #5 guy in the spring and #4 at the start of fall camp. From the App State game on, the Eagles have played at a totally different level. I think we can all agree on that.

Obviously Wofford is a very good team and they understand how to defend the GSU option since they run the option too. These games are always hard fought, and I'm sure this one will be as well. I just think the outcome will be different this time around. Home teams haven't fared well in this series lately.

It's your defense that you should be concerned about. Did they have 5th stringers playing also?

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 10:51 AM
It happens all the time. It happened against Navy, Wofford, Furman (I think), and SC State multiple times. We also ran back a plocked XP for 2 points against CCU.
I'll say it again, if we played like we did Saturday, you lose no matter how good your team plays. xnodx

This isn't golf, you aren't playing the course. GSU does not strike fear into our Terriers! We don't think that we can beat you, we know it, have done it and will do it again!

Baldy
December 6th, 2010, 11:07 AM
It's your defense that you should be concerned about. Did they have 5th stringers playing also?
We have the #1 defense in the conference. No concerns whatsoever.

Good luck. xthumbsupx

Baldy
December 6th, 2010, 11:10 AM
This isn't golf, you aren't playing the course. GSU does not strike fear into our Terriers! We don't think that we can beat you, we know it, have done it and will do it again!
We didn't strike fear into App or William & Mary either.

After watching App own you, I don't think you struck any fear into them, either. xlolx

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 11:10 AM

Good luck. xthumbsupx

See you Sat.! Go Terriers!!!!!

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Are you an App. fan or GSU fan? We'll right that wrong with App. in the Title game, don't worry. In the mean time we have some chicken (Eagle) to fry!

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 11:13 AM

Good luck. xthumbsupx

33 Terrier points at YOU'RE HOUSE!!!!!

AshevilleApp2
December 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM

xlolx Twelve posts of smack!!

Good luck to both teams on Saturday. Hopefully we will meet one of you again this season.

straightshooter
December 6th, 2010, 12:24 PM

You'll see different faces on the field Saturday. Differences in DL, LB, CB and S from the first game.

ebirToG
December 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Not smack here just a question...

How good is Shaw throwing the ball? He threw 6-7 passes against WM but only a couple down field. (WM got blown off the ball every play so GSU rarely were in passing situation)

The ones he did throw took a REALLY LONG time to get/float there - he had almost no velocity on the ball at all.

Is he better than he looked? What do his passing statistics look like?

straightshooter
December 6th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Not smack here just a question...

How good is Shaw throwing the ball? He threw 6-7 passes against WM but only a couple down field. (WM got blown off the ball every play so GSU rarely were in passing situation)

The ones he did throw took a REALLY LONG time to get/float there - he had almost no velocity on the ball at all.

Is he better than he looked? What do his passing statistics look like?

He's just over 50% completion for the season. He's had some drops and he's had some great catches made too. GSU simply doesn't throw the ball much, but they do have really good receivers. Remember that these kids were recruited to play in a spread passing offense. Wilkins, Sumner and Williford have great hands. Jaybo has shown that he's got a really good arm, with lots of velocity. If anything, he might make some tentative throws simply because he doesn't throw it much in the offense.

Baldy
December 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM

The difference is we have improved dramatically since then, but Wofford hasn't.
Cross your fingers the team you put on the field 3 of the last 4 games doesn't show up Saturday. xnodx

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 01:07 PM
xlolx Twelve posts of smack!!

Good luck to both teams on Saturday. Hopefully we will meet one of you again this season.

All right Boone, I hear ya. You guys have a great team this year and playing at "The Rock" is a horrible thing. I'm just having fun standing up for the short haired dogs. Just remember Frisco isn't Boone! See ya there!

AshevilleApp2
December 6th, 2010, 01:27 PM
All right Boone, I hear ya. You guys have a great team this year and playing at "The Rock" is a horrible thing. I'm just having fun standing up for the short haired dogs. Just remember Frisco isn't Boone! See ya there!

I'd be happy to see either team there. I'll be happy if we can beat "Nova this weekend.

Eagle22
December 6th, 2010, 01:36 PM

YOU ARE HOUSE ?

Um ....... lol.

straightshooter
December 6th, 2010, 02:02 PM
YOU ARE HOUSE ?

Um ....... lol.

No...that's his $30K/year education at work.....

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 02:10 PM
YOU ARE HOUSE ?

Um ....... lol.

Sports thread. I'm not editing. Sorry folks! How about You Are going to lose on Sat.

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 02:11 PM
No...that's his $30K/year education at work.....

40,000 with housing! Laugh now cry later! Go Terriers!!!!

gsu1moretime
December 6th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Away team has wonn last 4 meetings.... like that trend...

proasu89
December 6th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Sam Baker's a sly S.O.B. Going with the trendxeyebrowx

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 02:36 PM

Is that the best you can do. Coincidence is just that coincidence. Go Terriers!!!!

GoGSU
December 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Georgia Southern will win........no doubt about it xnodx

GATA
Is that the best you can do. Coincidence is just that coincidence. Go Terriers!!!!

I take it FACTS don't impress you very much?

Clearly, home field "advantage" means nothing in this little rivalry GSU and Wofford have going. That's why nobody cares that this game is played in Spartanburg. If you guys had some actual advantage at home maybe folks would be worried. This might as well be a neutral site game.

with that being said, Wofford is a team that is actually competent at defending the option...will make for an ugly game. I anticipate much lower scoring than the last.

Terrierforlife
Sam Baker's a sly S.O.B. Going with the trendxeyebrowx

The trend is cool if you're referring to int's or fumbles or even time of poss. But away team winning? I don't know...

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I take it FACTS don't impress you very much?

Clearly, home field "advantage" means nothing in this little rivalry GSU and Wofford have going. That's why nobody cares that this game is played in Spartanburg. If you guys had some actual advantage at home maybe folks would be worried. This might as well be a neutral site game.

Our advantage is being the best team on the field. Period!

Ivytalk
December 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
The difference is we have improved dramatically since then, but Wofford hasn't.
Cross your fingers the team you put on the field 3 of the last 4 games doesn't show up Saturday. xnodx

The Eagles have the mojo and the Big Mo right now. GSU by 3.

GATA
December 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Our advantage is being the best team on the field. Period!

eh...even you don't believe that.

but at least you guys are better than William and Mary.

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Georgia Southern will win........no doubt about it xnodx

That's the spirit. It'll be a good one in Spartanburg just like in Statesboro.

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 02:54 PM
eh...even you don't believe that.

but at least you guys are better than William and Mary.

LOL, W&M's defense was horrible against the option.

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 02:57 PM
The Eagles have the mojo and the Big Mo right now. GSU by 3.

What? By beating a MEAC team and an Overrated W&M team. I will give them the App. game because they (App.) slaughtered us.

Eaglesrus
December 6th, 2010, 03:19 PM
What? By beating a MEAC team and an Overrated W&M team. I will give them the App. game because they (App.) slaughtered us.

Well, that's very big of you! Hmmm, that comparison of our games with App State just might be an indication of the way our two teams have headed since we played each other, what do you think?

parr90
December 6th, 2010, 03:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7HbJKjz3IQ

A quick review for everyone. It was a great game no matter what anyone says. Part two at our place!

Nice video. GSU is much better than we were in the first meeting and im sure you guys are better too. IMO we are lucky to even be in the playoffs this year, but this team is on a lot of emotion and has gotten a taste of winning in the playoffs. Most our guys werent even recruited to play in this system which makes it even more impressive. Wofford has come a long way over the last 10 years and you guys have a great coach. The last 5 years or so have been tough for GSU folks. This should be a great game.

Eagle22
December 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Sports thread. I'm not editing. Sorry folks! How about You Are going to lose on Sat.

Oh, I know.

I'm usually not one of the grammar nazi's, however that one coupled with the Moc's "Who's House" a few years ago, I thought were pretty funny.

SC-T-Dogg
December 6th, 2010, 04:06 PM
This game will come down to turnovers and which "D" steps up!

dungeonjoe
December 6th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I love seeing when a team has a good season. For some reason, at the same time, we see this huge influx of posters with Join Dates within the last few months or post counts in the 20s. And then after one of those teams loses, we don't see those folks anymore. :)

I have been here 7 years, since Wofford's great playoff run in 2003. I remember Baldy here and a few others.

The number of posters and hot rhetoric rise this time of year.

"Visitors have the advantage in this series." "We are better than we were then."

"sloberknocker."

Regardless, I am just glad we settle it all on the field!! I got my tickets reloaded for youngterrier and me today.

See you Saturday!!

DSPSelym
December 6th, 2010, 06:32 PM
This will be my first time to Wofford and I'm looking for a defensive battle with GSU limiting Wofford to 17 points. GSU 24 Wofford 17. Taking about 12 guys with me, this will certainly be a neutral site.

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2010, 07:14 PM

well no, someone on THIS SITE told me there was an obvious block in the back. I'd be honored to be bulletin board materialxpeacex, but if you think what I say will be that, then we could pick one out of any of the 0457634907596 posts by GSU fans saying this will be an easy win and put that as Wofford bulletin board materialxrulesxxcoffeexxcoffeex

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Nice video. GSU is much better than we were in the first meeting and im sure you guys are better too. IMO we are lucky to even be in the playoffs this year, but this team is on a lot of emotion and has gotten a taste of winning in the playoffs. Most our guys werent even recruited to play in this system which makes it even more impressive. Wofford has come a long way over the last 10 years and you guys have a great coach. The last 5 years or so have been tough for GSU folks. This should be a great game.

I agree. Great game on Sat.

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I actually noticed it myself after I sent it out. (I cringed too. LOL)

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 07:34 PM
The advantage to playing at homes is not limited to fan support. Guys get to sleep in their own beds, no traveling, and regular surroundings. This is that "advantage" that you guys have been asking about. Just don't be a fan be a student of the game.

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Well, that's very big of you! Hmmm, that comparison of our games with App State just might be an indication of the way our two teams have headed since we played each other, what do you think?

You mean that Wofford slaughtered Chattanooga a week later, (who beat you guys) and limited a JSU team (one that beat Ole Miss/SEC) to 14 pointS (they averaged 33 ppg). I think GSU fans need to look beyond their weak play-in game and obvious mismatched 2nd round game and prepare for what's coming!

Terrierforlife
December 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM
This will be my first time to Wofford and I'm looking for a defensive battle with GSU limiting Wofford to 17 points. GSU 24 Wofford 17. Taking about 12 guys with me, this will certainly be a neutral site.

Great, then you can feel like you loss twice at home. LOL

gsu1moretime
December 6th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I love it. Hearing the same stuff scst, william and mary saying. there OL and DL are bigger and stronger... GSU is playing with a chip on their shoulder... and with a healthy backfield... I dont care what you say.. this is going to be a good game. I believe whoever wins time of poss... wins game.. But cant wait to be up in spartanburg.. and that home field adavantage of sleeping in own beds and stuff wont matter...

Baldy
December 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
You mean that Wofford slaughtered Chattanooga a week later, (who beat you guys) and limited a JSU team (one that beat Ole Miss/SEC) to 14 pointS (they averaged 33 ppg). I think GSU fans need to look beyond their weak play-in game and obvious mismatched 2nd round game and prepare for what's coming!
"Obvious mismatch"? xeyebrowx
You are aware that North Carolina needed a late 4th qtr. score to beat W&M and that the Tribe led UNC for the entire game up until that point, correct?

Instead of worrying about our "weak" first round game, you need to focus in on why your weak offense has only broken 17 points once in the last 4 games. xlolx

DSPSelym
December 6th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Great, then you can feel like you loss twice at home. LOL

Haha the only problem will be that I won't be able to go celebrate in the local bars right away after win this game. It's going to be a great game but Wofford fans are taking pretty big. It's going to make it that much nicer to win Saturday.

AppAlum2003
December 6th, 2010, 09:16 PM
You mean like the coincidence of your posts and Apps. championships? Glass houses.

Reading comprehension, friend. I have no problem with all of the new members, but don't disappear when your team loses. Sure, I joined in Dec 2006 during the height of the ASU championships, but the last I checked ASU hasn't won one since 2007 and I still post (poorly constructed sentences and lazy opinions.)

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Haha the only problem will be that I won't be able to go celebrate in the local bars right away after win this game. It's going to be a great game but Wofford fans are taking pretty big. It's going to make it that much nicer to win Saturday.

make that one fan, Wofford fans in general think this is one of the biggest games in our program's history and agree it will be a great game. The winner of this game I'll be pulling for for the rest of the playoffs

Terrierforlife
December 7th, 2010, 06:46 AM
"Obvious mismatch"? xeyebrowx
You are aware that North Carolina needed a late 4th qtr. score to beat W&M and that the Tribe led UNC for the entire game up until that point, correct?

Instead of worrying about our "weak" first round game, you need to focus in on why your weak offense has only broken 17 points once in the last 4 games. xlolx

We only need to score one more point than GSU.

Terrierforlife
December 7th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Reading comprehension, friend. I have no problem with all of the new members, but don't disappear when your team loses. Sure, I joined in Dec 2006 during the height of the ASU championships, but the last I checked ASU hasn't won one since 2007 and I still post (poorly constructed sentences and lazy opinions.)

App. has been in contention every year since winning their first championship. We'll see how you post when you guys jump to the FBS. P.S. Quit grading my paper Professor. LOL

Terrierforlife
December 7th, 2010, 06:53 AM
make that one fan, Wofford fans in general think this is one of the biggest games in our program's history and agree it will be a great game. The winner of this game I'll be pulling for for the rest of the playoffs

I'll never apologize for being a fan. I have been with my team win or lose for many years now. Everyone has different styles and that's okay. Remember this is all in fun. It has zero bearing on the game itself. Keep rooting Youngterrier!

UncleSam
December 7th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Don't know if it has been posted earlier, but is the GSU/Wofford game being televised or streamed on the internet anywhere?

gsu1moretime
December 7th, 2010, 08:56 AM
espn gameplan and espn 3

Baldy
December 7th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Don't know if it has been posted earlier, but is the GSU/Wofford game being televised or streamed on the internet anywhere?

ESPN3 and I also hear it will be on MASN DirecTV channel 640 & Dish Network channel 432

Plus I'm guessing that it will be streamed on NCAA.com too.

GSUBass
December 7th, 2010, 10:54 AM
WJCL Fox 28 in Savannah picked up a broadcast of the game.

eaglewraith
December 7th, 2010, 11:37 AM
ESPN3 and I also hear it will be on MASN DirecTV channel 640 & Dish Network channel 432

Plus I'm guessing that it will be streamed on NCAA.com too.

No NCAA stream since ESPN is broadcasting.

GSUhooligan
December 7th, 2010, 11:39 AM
After watching the WC-JSU replay on espn3.com it looks like JSU ran the ball fairly easily in the beginning. Hopefully, we can do the same, get off to an early lead and let our defense take over.

AppAlum2003
December 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM
App. has been in contention every year since winning their first championship. We'll see how you post when you guys jump to the FBS. P.S. Quit grading my paper Professor. LOL

Yeah, we'll see who is still posting after December...

elon77
December 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Opinion's are like butt's, everybody has one, but to me GSU was much more physical than the Wofford team I saw. That being said I believe GSU will be moving to the next round. It's a shame that both teams couldn't be matched up against two CAA teams. That would be much more fun than two Socon teams beating each other's brains out.

straightshooter
December 7th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Opinion's are like butt's, everybody has one, but to me GSU was much more physical than the Wofford team I saw. That being said I believe GSU will be moving to the next round. It's a shame that both teams couldn't be matched up against two CAA teams. That would be much more fun than two Socon teams beating each other's brains out.

Excellent observation ...77. Over the past five games, GSU has turned up the physicality on both O and D. The announcers on NCAA.com commented that GSU was giving WM something they hadn't seen from a physical standpoint. Different posters are saying it and I will say it too. The GSU team that's making this playoff run is a completely different team than Wofford faced in early October. Monken and staff have them believing in themselves, and that's tough to deal with if you're the opposing team. The team that plays the least bit tentative and blinks will lose on Saturday.

T-Dawg95
December 7th, 2010, 01:48 PM
To All GSU posters intent on claiming this is a 'different' GSU team than was played earlier this season:
- Have any new players been added during the season?

You insist that the RB who played during the Wofford/GSU regular season match-up was the #4/5 RB on the roster. (That should not matter if you're an option team, as typically there are anywhere from 4-6 ball carriers to make an option offense effective. The team is the same group of players that were present the first time around. All that matters is attitude, and your players' attitudes may have changed. But that only matter insofar as another team is expecting that attitude. I have no doubt that Wofford's attitude has similarly gotten more intense as well. It certainly has on defense. So don't claim your team is totally reborn because of a change in attitude, because this is the playoffs, and everyone has an attitude adjustment when they are playing for their lives.

Irregardless of how you feel about attitude, all that matters is who executes, and who doesn't.

These are two teams who are playing good football. Wofford has shown a better body of work, but GSU is firing on all cylinders. I think GSU grabs an early lead, and Wofford hangs in like they do, hangs their hat on their body of work, and grinds out a lead in the middle of the 2nd quarter against a team relying on something that doesn't exist in football (momentum). GSU starts to panic, as they aren't having the success they have been, and Wofford stays ahead for the win.

straightshooter
December 7th, 2010, 02:16 PM
To All GSU posters intent on claiming this is a 'different' GSU team than was played earlier this season:

You insist that the RB who played during the Wofford/GSU regular season match-up was the #4/5 RB on the roster. (That should not matter if you're an option team, as typically there are anywhere from 4-6 ball carriers to make an option offense effective. The team is the same group of players that were present the first time around. All that matters is attitude, and your players' attitudes may have changed. But that only matter insofar as another team is expecting that attitude. I have no doubt that Wofford's attitude has similarly gotten more intense as well. It certainly has on defense. So don't claim your team is totally reborn because of a change in attitude, because this is the playoffs, and everyone has an attitude adjustment when they are playing for their lives.

Irregardless of how you feel about attitude, all that matters is who executes, and who doesn't.

These are two teams who are playing good football. Wofford has shown a better body of work, but GSU is firing on all cylinders. I think GSU grabs an early lead, and Wofford hangs in like they do, hangs their hat on their body of work, and grinds out a lead in the middle of the 2nd quarter against a team relying on something that doesn't exist in football (momentum). GSU starts to panic, as they aren't having the success they have been, and Wofford stays ahead for the win.

Tell you what big guy...go down the Terriers roster to the #5 behind Breitenstein and run that guy out there. You're right...no dropoff. Take your whole starting OL back to how they would play in their fourth college game ever, with half of them having just graduated HS a couple of months earlier. They'd still be trying to learn the snap count. GSU won't panic. They got down to the Terriers in October quickly by 14 and came back. They got down quickly to App State by 14 and won. They got down to Furman on four plays 14-0 and won. Trust me. This is a different team, maybe not physically, but certainly mentally. And that mental belief has that physicality turned up a notch.

eaglewraith
December 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM

We've been fighting from behind all season.

You think that scares us?

Terrierforlife
December 7th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Tell you what big guy...go down the Terriers roster to the #5 behind Breitenstein and run that guy out there. You're right...no dropoff. Take your whole starting OL back to how they would play in their fourth college game ever, with half of them having just graduated HS a couple of months earlier. They'd still be trying to learn the snap count. GSU won't panic. They got down to the Terriers in October quickly by 14 and came back. They got down quickly to App State by 14 and won. They got down to Furman on four plays 14-0 and won. Trust me. This is a different team, maybe not physically, but certainly mentally. And that mental belief has that physicality turned up a notch.

Losing players is tough. That was us last year. At least this time there won't be any excuses. (For either of us)

Eagle22
December 7th, 2010, 03:05 PM

The biggest difference right now for GSU is across the offensive front, the coaches know who they can plug in and what they will get from them. That wasn't the case the first time these two teams met this season, as the coaches weren't as familiar with the personnel and the players weren't as familiar with the offense.

So while there aren't new players added during the season, there is a different flavor of what this group can accomplish. I won't sit here and say definitively that it turns GSU into world beaters, but we've been much more consistent across the offensive front the last three games and have had pretty good performance from that group.

If you are counting on this GSU team to panic, you might be in trouble ....some of our teams in the past were used to being comfortably ahead, and would press when behind or just barely ahead ... but this team hasn't displayed any of those traits. For starters, they've lost a few games which has tempered them ... and in those games they lost by a touchdown or less. There have only been a few moments this entire season where we have been up comfortably on any opponent (Sav State and late vs. Citadel and WCU), so there is no sense of entitlement from this bunch.

Wofford's body of work shows a better W-L record, but I still don't see on the Wofford resume a Top 5 win, something GSU sports two of.

We'll just have to see how it all pans out.

Terrierforlife
December 7th, 2010, 03:12 PM
The biggest difference right now for GSU is across the offensive front, the coaches know who they can plug in and what they will get from them. That wasn't the case the first time these two teams met this season, as the coaches weren't as familiar with the personnel and the players weren't as familiar with the offense.

So while there aren't new players added during the season, there is a different flavor of what this group can accomplish. I won't sit here and say definitively that it turns GSU into world beaters, but we've been much more consistent across the offensive front the last three games and have had pretty good performance from that group.

If you are counting on this GSU team to panic, you might be in trouble ....some of our teams in the past were used to being comfortably ahead, and would press when behind or just barely ahead ... but this team hasn't displayed any of those traits. For starters, they've lost a few games which has tempered them ... and in those games they lost by a touchdown or less. There have only been a few moments this entire season where we have been up comfortably on any opponent (Sav State and late vs. Citadel and WCU), so there is no sense of entitlement from this bunch.

Wofford's body of work shows a better W-L record, but I still don't see on the Wofford resume a Top 5 win, something GSU sports two of.

We'll just have to see how it all pans out.

When we beat GSU the next team will ask where our top 5 win is also. Look we've beat quality teams regardless of their ranking at the time. Honestly, as a fan of football, I don't even see this game as being close. But who knows, "any given saturday" right?

parr90
December 7th, 2010, 03:23 PM

You are correct some here but I think some GSU folks are not just refering to the attitude. There are alot of freshman playing on this unit plus the fact that all these players were recruited and played under a completely different system last year. I think this team has improved more than just attitude, they have adapted more to the system making them better at what they do. Should be a hell of a game, I know Wofford will be ready and you guys have a really good team IMO.

sav eagle34
December 7th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Honestly, as a fan of football, I don't even see this game as being close.

Whoa now, after you said honestly, you should have reigned that enthusiasm in; there was no way that was going to be an honest statement. As a fan of the game myself, I don't see any way this game isn't going to be close.

ITEagle
December 7th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Are you coming to the game? If so, could you please bring some of that stuff you are smoking? I would like to try some!

phoenix3
December 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM

You can just as easily say that this is the same GSU team that spanked Elon when but for a lucky 42 yard prayer and a 2nd half opening kickoff run back Wofford loses the game to Elon handily. Also a GSU Team who beat App when Wofford was dismantled by App. Not saying that Wofford is a bad team, just that your argument is unsound.

gsu1moretime
December 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
The arrogance and down right disrespect from wofford is amazing. Go ahead disrespect Georgia Southern. We will prove you wrong and by 4 oclock saturday we wont hear from you til next year...

GaSouthern
December 7th, 2010, 04:55 PM
The arrogance and down right disrespect from wofford is amazing. Go ahead disrespect Georgia Southern. We will prove you wrong and by 4 oclock saturday we wont hear from you til next year...

A few loudmouth idiots are tarnishing what Ayers and his Players have built over the years in my eyes. Pretty sad really.

millwoga1
December 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM
A few loudmouth idiots are tarnishing what Ayers and his Players have built over the years in my eyes. Pretty sad really.

Does this talk on a message board really make you think differently of MA and his players? Come on get a grip - he is just doing it becuase is bothers you guys

millwoga1
December 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM

Yet all gsu fans are so respectful- come on dude go back and read the thread before making a one sided point that applies to both teams

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I'm not going to argue that GSU hasn't met some adversity this year, but don't tell me a young team composing of a lot of freshmen and sophomores are liable to panic, especially after playing for 5 weeks straight. especially in the 3 of 5 weeks they've played teams that weren't playoff caliber.

T-Dawg95
December 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM

As a former player, I find it difficult for any coach or team to have what they have done undermined by a fan, no matter how bad. Teams/schools cannot control who is a fan and who is not.

Second, as to my previous statement, I said that GSU jumps out to an early lead. That you are not playing most of the game from behind. It's very easy to motivate yourself and play at full speed when you are losing by one score or more, but when you're leading by one score or less, young teams have a harder time keeping the lead because they don't know how to maintain their level of play with a small lead. (They play "not to lose" as they say.)

Now, once the lead reaches a certain point (beyond one possession or so), it doesn't matter (illustrated last week by GSU over W&M) because there is room for error and players can go back to playing at full speed. I think that the youth will be the factor that hurts you here. As I said before, you don't change the player, only the attitude and how they execute. A freshman player is a freshman player, and 9 times out of 10, a less-talented senior will beat a more talented freshman.

GSU is 2-4 in games decided by one possession or less.
Wofford is 4-0 in games decided by one possession or less.

What that tells me is simple: if Wofford keeps it close, they have a higher likelihood of victory than does GSU.

GSU is 5-2 on the road.
Wofford is 5-0 at home.

Again, though GSU's numbers are worse than Wofford's, they aren't bad here. It means that this being an away game likely will not affect GSU all that negitively. It benefits Wofford more than it hurts GSU.

These teams know each other, and are mirror images of one another offensively. It will come down to execution of their called plays, and turnovers. The closer the game, the higher the probability that Wofford wins.

Either way, should be a great game.

gasoutherneagle
December 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Honestly, as a fan of football, I don't even see this game as being close.

Me neither! ...so, we can agree on something.

Georgia Southern by 21.

This isn't the same injury-riddled team you squeaked by mid-season.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2010, 05:45 PM
winner goes to Newark or UNH? We know the SC does not host the CAA

SpiritCymbal
December 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I think GSU will bring at least 3K fans honestly.

Just as an update, GSU has already sold their allotment of 2,500 and an additional 500 that Wofford sent. GSU has also had to resort to selling GA tickets on the home side of the field since the visitor's side is already sold out. I'm not sure if Wofford is going to give GSU another allotment to keep up with the damand. This does not include the students who will purchase their tickets at the game and based on the number of requests, there aren't enough "student" tickets to supply the demand.

I would say, at a minimum, there will be 5k GSU fans at the game. This game might not be in Statesboro, but it's damn sure going to be a "home game" for the boys in Blue & White.

SpiritCymbal
December 7th, 2010, 05:55 PM
winner goes to Newark or UNH?

That is correct. Wofford didn't bid to host a semifinal game due to a scheduling conflict. GSU's bid....well....we'll just say that the game will be in New England if GSU wins.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
That is correct. Wofford didn't bid to host a semifinal game due to a scheduling conflict. GSU's bid....well....we'll just say that the game will be in New England if GSU wins.

You do know that Delaware is not in New England don't you?

Eagle22
December 7th, 2010, 06:17 PM
What that tells me is simple: if Wofford keeps it close, they have a higher likelihood of victory than does GSU.

GSU is 5-2 on the road.
Wofford is 5-0 at home.

What it tells me is Wofford is due for a home loss :)

Baldy
December 7th, 2010, 06:32 PM
What it tells me is Wofford is due for a home loss :)
True, William & Mary had won 11 straight at home until last Saturday, too.

T-Dawg95
December 7th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Against CAA talent, is that really a surprise? xlolx

boonegoon
December 7th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Team Stat Comparison

Wofford Georgia South
1st Downs 21 18
3rd down eff
8-13 3-13
4th down efficiency
0-1 1-3
Total Yards 408 341
Passing 106 98
Comp-Att
4-8 5-15
Yards per pass
13.3 6.5
Rushing 302 243
Rushing Attempts
57 50
Yards per rush
5.3 4.9
Penalties 8-97 1-10
Turnovers 1 1
Fumbles lost
1 1
Interceptions thrown
0 0
Possession 31:19 28:41

Stats from earlier game. Looks to be a barnburner of similar schemes. I wonder if the 87 yd penalty difference made this game closer than it should have been.

Eagle22
December 7th, 2010, 06:53 PM

In the last 87 years, Wofford has had 11 seasons without a home loss. Of those eleven, two seasons comprised of a four game home schedule (1951 and 1996), while in 1948 Wofford had 4 ties. Since joining the SoCon, the only perfect home seasons for the Terriers were in 2003 and 2008.

The other six years were 1949,1957,1969,1970,1977, and 1980.

I didn't include the W-L records from 1889-1923 because the Wofford media guide records are incomplete for game location.

So historically there is a roughly a 13% chance of an unblemished home record for Wofford ... Will be interesting to see if that recent trend holds true.

Venaros
December 7th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Just as an update, GSU has already sold their allotment of 2,500 and an additional 500 that Wofford sent. GSU has also had to resort to selling GA tickets on the home side of the field since the visitor's side is already sold out. I'm not sure if Wofford is going to give GSU another allotment to keep up with the damand. This does not include the students who will purchase their tickets at the game and based on the number of requests, there aren't enough "student" tickets to supply the demand.

I would say, at a minimum, there will be 5k GSU fans at the game. This game might not be in Statesboro, but it's damn sure going to be a "home game" for the boys in Blue & White.

Wow. I'm glad I went earlier today and ordered mine. Can't wait for saturday. Eagle Nation will be in Spartanburg in full force!

Hail Southern!

Venaros
December 7th, 2010, 09:20 PM
So, does anyone know about tailgating before the game? Like maybe one of you Wofford fans could tell me, is there a specific area where we're allowed to be for tailgating?

Terrierforlife
December 7th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Are you coming to the game? If so, could you please bring some of that stuff you are smoking? I would like to try some!

LOL!!!!

Terrierforlife
December 7th, 2010, 11:55 PM
You can just as easily say that this is the same GSU team that spanked Elon when but for a lucky 42 yard prayer and a 2nd half opening kickoff run back Wofford loses the game to Elon handily. Also a GSU Team who beat App when Wofford was dismantled by App. Not saying that Wofford is a bad team, just that your argument is unsound.

Perhaps.

Terrierforlife
December 7th, 2010, 11:55 PM

See you at 4.

Terrierforlife
December 8th, 2010, 12:00 AM

It's a fan site, don't get upset. I played for Coach Ayers and am still close with him to this day. Players play and fans do what we're doing. Loosin' up and relax. This is all just fun and games. I respect all squads. Don't make this boring and no fun. This isn't Sunday school.

Terrierforlife
December 8th, 2010, 12:05 AM

Wofford is praying for a friday semi-final game due to the NC, SC Shrine bowl being played on Sat. at Gibbs stadium.

Terrierforlife
December 8th, 2010, 12:09 AM
In the last 87 years, Wofford has had 11 seasons without a home loss. Of those eleven, two seasons comprised of a four game home schedule (1951 and 1996), while in 1948 Wofford had 4 ties. Since joining the SoCon, the only perfect home seasons for the Terriers were in 2003 and 2008.

The other six years were 1949,1957,1969,1970,1977, and 1980.

I didn't include the W-L records from 1889-1923 because the Wofford media guide records are incomplete for game location.

So historically there is a roughly a 13% chance of an unblemished home record for Wofford ... Will be interesting to see if that recent trend holds true.

These are fantasy football numbers. The real game is played on the field. Save your stats!

dungeonjoe
December 8th, 2010, 04:57 AM

That is incorrect.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20101206/NEWS/101209828/1090/sports02?Title=Wofford-football-catches-a-break-in-getting-to-host-this-weekend

"Wofford and Georgia Southern will play for the right to take on either No. 3 seed Delaware or New Hampshire next weekend in the semifinals. If there is an upset, Wofford's bid would be matched up against that of New Hampshire. It is now clear that Georgia Southern would be on the road regardless.

Semifinals games will be played on Dec. 17 and 18. Wofford officials are prepared to lobby intensely for the Friday night game, if the situation arises, because the Shrine Bowl high school all-star game is scheduled for that Saturday. Wofford also has a home basketball game that night. It's possible that the school could be denied by the NCAA because Gibbs Stadium will not be available."

GATAEagles
December 8th, 2010, 07:52 AM

I have called Wofford, and they said they are atleast 7,000 away from being sold out. If you are a student they are required by NCAA to give the same number of student tickets to GSU as they do Wofford students. She then said that no college student with a valid ID would be turned down for the game, they may just have to sit in the grass!

Can't wait to see the mob of blue on Saturday!

parr90
December 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM
As a former player, I find it difficult for any coach or team to have what they have done undermined by a fan, no matter how bad. Teams/schools cannot control who is a fan and who is not.

Second, as to my previous statement, I said that GSU jumps out to an early lead. That you are not playing most of the game from behind. It's very easy to motivate yourself and play at full speed when you are losing by one score or more, but when you're leading by one score or less, young teams have a harder time keeping the lead because they don't know how to maintain their level of play with a small lead. (They play "not to lose" as they say.)

Now, once the lead reaches a certain point (beyond one possession or so), it doesn't matter (illustrated last week by GSU over W&M) because there is room for error and players can go back to playing at full speed. I think that the youth will be the factor that hurts you here. As I said before, you don't change the player, only the attitude and how they execute. A freshman player is a freshman player, and 9 times out of 10, a less-talented senior will beat a more talented freshman.

GSU is 2-4 in games decided by one possession or less.
Wofford is 4-0 in games decided by one possession or less.

GSU is 5-2 on the road.
Wofford is 5-0 at home.

Again, though GSU's numbers are worse than Wofford's, they aren't bad here. It means that this being an away game likely will not affect GSU all that negitively. It benefits Wofford more than it hurts GSU.

These teams know each other, and are mirror images of one another offensively. It will come down to execution of their called plays, and turnovers. The closer the game, the higher the probability that Wofford wins.

Either way, should be a great game.

Im a former player too and Im not sure I agree completely here. I think it depends on the TEAM and the particular players on that team. In some cases you may be right but this isnt always true. It depends on the group of guys and how they have meshed together as a team and to how they will react under certain situations. I agree that the sinse of urgency when behind is greater and makes teams play harder it seems. Maybe we will stay behind just enough withen reach and win at the last min. I cant remember but didnt you guys lead the whole game during our last meeting or were we up at any point in that game, I cant remember.

jmufan999
December 8th, 2010, 09:54 PM
god i hate when these threads get out of control.... no one reads anything and no one is going to see my post... awesome.

i picked GSU to make it to the finals so i'm sticking with them, but i'm also a Wofford fan, have been since 2008. and not just in that lame way that other FCS fans are.... when you beat a team then suck up to them. i hate that s**t. that wasn't me... i was crapping all over Wofford before that game and they shut me up. i've followed them (slightly) ever since.

when i picked this matchup a few weeks ago, i went with GSU because i think they'll have a slight edge in the athleticism department. slight. i would kill to see this game, seriously. i LOVE the triple option... love it. don't know why more teams don't use it.

anyway, i'll take GSU to win 28-17.

gsu1moretime
December 10th, 2010, 12:00 PM
So anyone in spartanburg yet? Has the city been taken over yet?

dungeonjoe
December 10th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Yeah,Sherman just left. Control of the city is in the hands of GSU.

T-Dawg95
December 10th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Im a former player too and Im not sure I agree completely here. I think it depends on the TEAM and the particular players on that team. In some cases you may be right but this isnt always true. It depends on the group of guys and how they have meshed together as a team and to how they will react under certain situations. I agree that the sinse of urgency when behind is greater and makes teams play harder it seems. Maybe we will stay behind just enough withen reach and win at the last min. I cant remember but didnt you guys lead the whole game during our last meeting or were we up at any point in that game, I cant remember.

That's precisely my point. Younger teams are less likely to mesh as well as an older team would.

Reign of Terrier
December 10th, 2010, 03:51 PM

we only trailed one time I think, something like 22-21

ButlerGSU
December 10th, 2010, 10:43 PM
http://www.macon.com/2010/12/10/1372427/georgia-southern-fans-plan-to.html

Terrierforlife
December 10th, 2010, 11:44 PM
http://www.macon.com/2010/12/10/1372427/georgia-southern-fans-plan-to.html

I'll tell you guys this. After watching UD and UNH, UD did seem to have issues defending the option plays in that game. That may have been a good sign for the winner of our game. Their passing game will be a test however.

Tubby Raymond
December 11th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I'll tell you guys this. After watching UD and UNH, UD did seem to have issues defending the option plays in that game. That may have been a good sign for the winner of our game. Their passing game will be a test however.

UMMMM, you are aware that UNH throws the ball very well right?

Think UD might have been focussing on shutting down thier passing game first?

Either of these socon teams have a passing attack like UNH?

straightshooter
December 11th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Don't need one!

blueballs
December 11th, 2010, 07:14 AM

With Woffie and GSU the pass is more or less a trick play and is in many ways dictated by the play of the safeties. Those teams are going to cut your linemen and get to the next level while running something you haven't seen all year and can't simulate in practice at a high rate of speed. Don't let the relative small stature of the o-linemen fool you, they are recruited and coached for their agility and "to play under a card table" more so than size and strength.

That's one of the reasons GSU has been so successful in the playoffs through the years. It is hard for a team to simulate with their scout team and prepare a defense for something totally foreign to them and then have to face a group recruited and coached to run it with years of experience in that system. In many ways it is the "great equalizer." When you combine the "great equalizer" with great talent (like GSU's 86, 89, 99 teams) it tends to get ugly.

cowboy91
December 11th, 2010, 07:48 AM
It's not really "totally foreign" when you've seen the triple option playing against Navy and Rhode Island in recent years. And no, neither of those teams runs it as well as GSU or Wofford.

Is there a QB as talented as Pat Devlin in the Southern Conference?

james_lawfirm
December 11th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Is there a QB as talented as Pat Devlin in the Southern Conference?

Yes. Based on what I saw last night, I'd say there's 3. Coleman, Riddle & Presley.

james_lawfirm
December 11th, 2010, 08:00 AM

Good luck with that approach. I am sure KC Keller understands what he'll be up against with either winner today. If you have not seen & prepared for the TO, the only thing left to do is cuss.

cowboy91
December 11th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Good luck with that approach. I am sure KC Keller understands what he'll be up against with either winner today. If you have not seen & prepared for the TO, the only thing left to do is cuss.

Maybe this eludes some, but when you played Navy last year, and have a few times you understand how to prepare for the triple option. Stopping it is another issue.

This might be a shocker, because I'm sure people don't think teams have speed or talent outside of the Southern Conference, but because W&M couldn't stop it doesn't mean Delaware can't.

EagleTrump
December 11th, 2010, 08:40 AM
The TO wasn't W&M's only problem. They failed to score an offensive touchdown the entire game and was completely shut out the second half. Hopefully Delaware's kicker keeps botching his stuff because IF Southern advances, it should be a fun game for us.

And I'm not writing Wofford off. They're a great team. But I'm looking forward to playing a home game in their stadium.

EagleTrump
December 11th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Oh, and how did that game with Navy go? Because we held them to 13 and scoreless in the second half. Woffie's TO put 33 points on us. It takes a little bit more than a couple experiences with the TO.

cowboy91
December 11th, 2010, 09:37 AM
How'd your game with Samford go?

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Oh, and how did that game with Navy go? Because we held them to 13 and scoreless in the second half. Woffie's TO put 33 points on us. It takes a little bit more than a couple experiences with the TO.

We beat them half the time...

Why does it matter we aren't playing them anyway?

cowboy91
December 11th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Somehow losing to Navy when Delaware played them discounts the fact Delaware has seen a triple option before and knows how to prepare for it.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Complements of SEVEN WOULD BE NICE on gsu's board...

"I have a feeling Nova/App winner is going to steam roll the next round, just like the winner of our game will prob steam roll Del."

And you are basing this from what? Your conference Champ getting rolled thus far by CAA's 4th place finisher? ASU can still win but I don't know how you came up with that statement.

cowboy91
December 11th, 2010, 12:20 PM
They can keep thinking that. Win? Maybe. Steam roll [sic]?

gsu6trophies
December 11th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Complements of SEVEN WOULD BE NICE on gsu's board...

"I have a feeling Nova/App winner is going to steam roll the next round, just like the winner of our game will prob steam roll Del."

And you are basing this from what? Your conference Champ getting rolled thus far by CAA's 4th place finisher? ASU can still win but I don't know how you came up with that statement.

You must really have no life to go fishing around some other team's board looking for something to be pissed about. It's just some dude's opinion. Shut up and enjoy your victory. After all opinions are like. .. . well you know.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM
How is it fishing around when we could be playing them in 6 days???? It's not like I am surfing North Texas' message board. I didn't know you were the board surfing police. I can see why your posts have been marked shameless...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Wofford keeps turing the ball over.

14-0 Eagles.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 01:38 PM
GSU is doing work...They score here and it might be over. Does Wofford have quick strike ability to come back?

umassfan
December 11th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Look at those "Gifts" GSU is getting.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 01:58 PM
17-0 GSU

This one is over!

paward
December 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I thought GSU would win this one but never, ever saw it developing like this. Looks as if one Socon team showed up today. Then again, one was going to move on anyway.

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Look at those "Gifts" GSU is getting.

Gifts? How is that? These are two of the best teams in the FCS right now. Solid, physical football and pressure are keeping GSU on top. Wofford wasn't ready for this kind of a Georgia Southern team clearly.

umassfan
December 11th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Gifts? How is that? These are two of the best teams in the FCS right now. Solid, physical football and pressure are keeping GSU on top. Wofford wasn't ready for this kind of a Georgia Southern team clearly.

Gifts = turnovers. (1998)

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Gifts = turnovers. (1998)

You lost me. Are you saying we aren't forcing any of these turnovers?

umassfan
December 11th, 2010, 02:15 PM
You lost me. Are you saying we aren't forcing any of these turnovers?

Im saying that in 98 UMass forced something like 6 turnovers vs GSU in the champ game... after the game GSU fans said over and over again that they were gifts. Hence the Gift comment. GSU fans dont see turnovers as forced.

gsuwinsudont
December 11th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Im saying that in 98 UMass forced something like 6 turnovers vs GSU in the champ game... after the game GSU fans said over and over again that they were gifts. Hence the Gift comment. GSU fans dont see turnovers as forced.

You still worrying about that? We moved on so should you.

umassfan
December 11th, 2010, 02:19 PM
You still worrying about that? We moved on so should you.

This is the first time GSU is relevent in awhile... Gotta bring it back up come playoff time seems I heard about it for many years ;)

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 02:20 PM

Oh talk about living in the past lol. Well these days in Statesboro we play solid defense and solid offense.

umassfan
December 11th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Oh talk about living in the past lol. Well these days in Statesboro we play solid defense and solid offense.

Gotcha so we wont be hearing about all your championships or anything else from the past then huh seems its all in the past. Ill remember that line.

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Gotcha so we wont be hearing about all your championships or anything else from the past then huh seems its all in the past. Ill remember that line.

To me yes. It's nice to win championships but it's not like those past championships will win a championship this year, right?

gsuwinsudont
December 11th, 2010, 02:26 PM

No point winning a championship if you cant brag about it later. Well played in 98. Personally i liked our rematch in 99 alot better. That was a "gift" all of GSU enjoyed.

umassfan
December 11th, 2010, 02:28 PM
No point winning a championship if you cant brag about it later. Well played in 98. Personally i liked our rematch in 99 alot better. That was a "gift" all of GSU enjoyed.

Im sure you liked the rematch better but you didnt win a title from the 99 game vs us. If you did im sure it would have been better.

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 02:28 PM
A little off topic, but is it too early to give Jeff Monken the coach of the year award for D1-AA yet?

umassfan
December 11th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I agree and you will have fun with Delawares Defense next week. Also their QB will be the toughest you have faced all year. Enjoy that matchup

gsuwinsudont
December 11th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Im sure you liked the rematch better but you didnt win a title from the 99 game vs us. If you did im sure it would have been better.

Didnt matter. We got the title anyways so it was a nice. Kinda like the frosting on the cake. You guys got youre one championship and it resulted in 2 more for us. I'll take it everytime.....

GSU1-A
December 11th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Come on Eagles.. 2 more quarters!

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I agree and you will have fun with Delawares Defense next week. Also their QB will be the toughest you have faced all year. Enjoy that matchup

I honestly think that game will be harder than the championship game for us is we make it past Delaware.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I honestly think that game will be harder than the championship game for us is we make it past Delaware.

Not if you have to face Nova. As a UD fan it's hard saying this but they look like the best team left...by far.

VUCats02
December 11th, 2010, 03:46 PM
WOW what a turn of events!

paward
December 11th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hold on to your horse boys!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 03:54 PM
wow that was huge, likely the game...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM
What the heck happened? I did not see a facemask.

Ud1Hens
December 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM
where was the face mask?

ravinggoat
December 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Facemask??? Wow! Terrible call.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Wofford just got royally woofed by the refs!! That was ridiculous!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 04:01 PM
GSU wins. Delaware should not have much trouble advancing past them imo.

ravinggoat
December 11th, 2010, 04:02 PM
It's a shame the refs had to decide this one. xbangx

UMass922
December 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Wow, I'd love to hear that ref explain what he saw that looked like a facemask . . .

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Wow, I'd love to hear that ref explain what he saw that looked like a facemask . . .

That call was as bad as the Rocket punt return block in back. Two horrendous calls.

GSU&UT
December 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Guys the facemask call was on a lineman. I agree that it's a crappy way to win if it didn't actually happen, but fans were saying that a lineman's facemask was pulled.

parr90
Facemask??? Wow! Terrible call.

Was a lineman. It wasnt on the QB. Wofford lineman bout ripped off one of our guys facemask. TV guys were confused too. GSU out played Wofford in the first half and Wofford kickd out butts in the second. You guys have a hell of a team. It wasnt pretty but I will take the win. We did have a touchdown called back on a holding call that was legit but the guy being held would have never made the play anyway, then we missed a chip shot field goal after that. Great game Wofford you should be proud of your team. If I were a Wofford guy I would be pissed too. Who knows what would have happend if that face mask call wasnt called. It came at a bad time but it was there.

GSUwinsagain
WOW ! Great game. I have to commend Wofford, they showed tons of heart to come back like they did and with their stadium filled with GSU fans. Always a classic when these 2 match up. We have alot to clean up to have a chance next week at UD.
I hope that call was right.

GSU&UT
December 11th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Also, Wofford was a hair away from winning that game. They absolutely dominated the second half and I honestly thought GSU was going to lose after they gave up that TD on a fumble.

parr90
December 11th, 2010, 04:20 PM
GSU wins. Delaware should not have much trouble advancing past them imo.

Problem with that is that Wofford was the best team to match up with GSU. We wont play another team left playing that matches up as well as Wofford did. They no us and play a similar style of O. The Deleware game will be totaly different.

GATA
December 11th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Yeah...I bet our coaching staff and players are really worried. Why have any confidence at all...it's not like we've beaten anybody this year.

BestOfBreed
December 11th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Congrats GSU. Great game. I'll be cheering for you next week for sure.

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM
That was a great showing in the second half Wofford. Looks like it's up to Georgia Southern to represent the Southern Conference in the semi's. Delaware is going to be a very hard game and I'm hoping if we get past Delaware we won't have to play Nova in the Championship game...

GSU&UT
December 11th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Congrats GSU. Great game. I'll be cheering for you next week for sure.

I really appreciate the class. I wasn't there in Sparkle City today, but I hope our fans weren't too obnoxious or cocky. That was a great game and really both teams deserved to advance.

gsu1moretime
December 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
What was the attendance?

Terrierforlife
December 11th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Congrats GSU. You have great fans and your team played a great game! Good luck against Delaware. I hope you guys advance. P.S. That nose guard you guys have is a man. He was a problem today.

DSPSelym
December 11th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I would like to take this time to thank the announcers for going the entire game without calling us "Georgia State" for once! That in itself was like winning, haha. You had a good season Wofford, as did App. Hopefully we can represent the SOCON in the championship game.

EagleTrump
December 11th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I would also like to know what the attendance was. And the ratio of Wofford and GSU. Great game though. I was nervous about the outcome the entire time. BUT, on to Delaware...guess i gotta break out the thermals...

Gsueyes
December 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Congrats GSU. You have great fans and your team played a great game! Good luck against Delaware. I hope you guys advance. P.S. That nose guard you guys have is a man. He was a problem today.

Man! No.
MANBEARPIG!

straightshooter
December 11th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Attendance announced around 11,800+, third largest crowd in Wofford history. And I just looked at a replay from my DVR. Facemask at the end of the game was called on #98, who did not make the tackle. Most thought they flagged #96, who did make it. The ref was looking right at the play, and it looked like he got a hand on it.

EagleTrump
December 11th, 2010, 08:19 PM
The facemask thing makes me breathe a little better. I would hate to when on a mistake. Glad GSU showed up in force today. Who know's how it would have gone if it were a true away game for our guys.

T-Dawg95
December 11th, 2010, 08:33 PM
The facemask was an awful call on the part of the ref. (The facemask was called on the QB, folks. If it had been called on a DL against an OL, it would have been called 'illegal hands to the face.' Further, the flag was thrown at the spot of where the QB's facemask got touched) At the point in which the call was made and the nature of the infraction itself, seeing that it was VERY minor, the ref was on the wrong side of the play to make the call (the umpire threw the flag whereas the line judge didn't) and the infraction didn't affect the ultimate outcome of the play makes the throwing of the flag an awful call on the ref's part. That crew was not very good. The stuff they called I did not see, and I saw a ton of stuff they didn't call.

GSU's D was gassed and Wofford was rolling. I loathe to say the refs gave the game away, but they sure took away Wofford's chance to win it instead of leaving it in the hands of the players.

GSUBass
December 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
The facemask was an awful call on the part of the ref. (The facemask was called on the QB, folks. If it had been called on a DL against an OL, it would have been called 'illegal hands to the face.' Further, the flag was thrown at the spot of where the QB's facemask got touched) At the point in which the call was made and the nature of the infraction itself, seeing that it was VERY minor, the ref was on the wrong side of the play to make the call (the umpire threw the flag whereas the line judge didn't) and the infraction didn't affect the ultimate outcome of the play makes the throwing of the flag an awful call on the ref's part. That crew was not very good. The stuff they called I did not see, and I saw a ton of stuff they didn't call.

GSU's D was gassed and Wofford was rolling. I loathe to say the refs gave the game away, but they sure took away Wofford's chance to win it instead of leaving it in the hands of the players.

There is no longer illegal hands to the face. You touch the facemask, automatic 15 yard penalty. Doesn't matter the severity.

straightshooter
December 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM

There's no such thing as a minor face mask. That penalty is in the books to protect the players. The ref called it on Eberhardt (#98) and he was looking right at the play. Face mask calls occur away from the ball too. They aren't limited to the ball carrier. All you have to do is look at the replay, and you'll find something else to complain about.