PDA

View Full Version : It is NOW offical....R.I.P. Fighting Sioux name and logo.

darell1976
November 30th, 2010, 08:29 AM
As per the lawsuit settlement between the University of North Dakota and the NCAA UND had until November 30th, 2010 to get 2 tribal approvals to keep the Fighting Sioux name and logo. Earlier this year they achieved 1 approval from the Spirit Lake Sioux Nation through a vote of the whole tribe. 67% approved the name and logo. The Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council voted to dismiss the name and logo and NOT allow their whole tribe to vote. Therefore the time has come to retire the name offically. UND will remain the Fighting Sioux until the 2010-2011 seasons are over (when hockey is done in Apirl). Retailers have until June 30, 2011 to sell Sioux logo merchandise but July 1st, 2011 the shelves must be cleared of them.
http://nickname.und.edu/logo/?p=290

A committe has been formed to come up with a new name and logo (IMO it will be named something by 2012 when we are both playoff eligible and in the Big Sky Conference). As heated as this nickname contraversy has been many of us are glad its over, even though its not the results we wanted. One thing is for sure we will always be The University Of North Dakota!!!!xthumbsupx

Big Al
November 30th, 2010, 08:34 AM
One thing is for sure we will always be The University Of North Dakota!!!!xthumbsupx

Whatever happened to the proposal to remove the "North" from the state name?

darell1976
November 30th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Whatever happened to the proposal to remove the "North" from the state name?

That was to make the state seem less cold. I rank that proposal with the idiot that is proposing UND and NDSU combine into the UNDSU- Fighting Bison with a stadium half way and a bullet train to go from Fargo to Grand Forks in 20 minutes (70 miles apart).

Gil Dobie
November 30th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I got dinged by a mod last time I tried to post a new UND nickname. ;)

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Side Judge
November 30th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I got your back Gil if you want to suggest a family-friendly new nickname - maybe ESPN will resurrect the Admiral Akbar thing?

darell1976
November 30th, 2010, 09:35 AM
You have to admire the Spirit Lake Sioux....They WANT the name and logo to stay!!! http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/300117/

Members of the Spirit Lake Sioux Nation who favor the University of North Dakota retaining the Fighting Sioux nickname made a last-minute appeal Monday to the NCAA, asking that the association “re-examine” the 2007 legal settlement that imposed a deadline for the university to obtain tribal permission to continue using the name.

There was no immediate response from the NCAA.

Typical NCAA.

green and gold
November 30th, 2010, 01:33 PM
As per the lawsuit settlement between the University of North Dakota and the NCAA UND had until November 30th, 2010 to get 2 tribal approvals to keep the Fighting Sioux name and logo. Earlier this year they achieved 1 approval from the Spirit Lake Sioux Nation through a vote of the whole tribe. 67% approved the name and logo. The Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council voted to dismiss the name and logo and NOT allow their whole tribe to vote. Therefore the time has come to retire the name offically. UND will remain the Fighting Sioux until the 2010-2011 seasons are over (when hockey is done in Apirl). Retailers have until June 30, 2011 to sell Sioux logo merchandise but July 1st, 2011 the shelves must be cleared of them.
http://nickname.und.edu/logo/?p=290

A committe has been formed to come up with a new name and logo (IMO it will be named something by 2012 when we are both playoff eligible and in the Big Sky Conference). As heated as this nickname contraversy has been many of us are glad its over, even though its not the results we wanted. One thing is for sure we will always be The University Of North Dakota!!!!xthumbsupx
Could the new nickname possibly be the tribe??

darell1976
November 30th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Could the new nickname possibly be the tribe??

As in the UND Spirit Lake Sioux? Its been thought of on SS but they may have to get a new logo. As that was part of the retirement.

TheRevSFA
November 30th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Why not just be the ND Tribe..ND Lakers (in honor to the tribe)...Be the North Dakota Pioneers..you know..the Bison hunters...

darell1976
November 30th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Why not just be the ND Tribe..ND Lakers (in honor to the tribe)...Be the North Dakota Pioneers..you know..the Bison hunters...

We can't be Tribe, or Warriors, or Indians, or Braves. Nothing related to Native Americans.

DG Cowboy
November 30th, 2010, 03:37 PM
How about UND PC's? Anyway, the new nickname can't be worse than the Rebel Black Bears.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2010, 03:45 PM
How about the UND Cowboys, or the UND US Government, or the UND Manifest Destiny? xlolx

RabidRabbit
November 30th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Think they should be the Red Floodsxlolxxlolxxlolx certainly accurate for Grand Forks location.

NDB
November 30th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Stop the hate!

green and gold
November 30th, 2010, 04:19 PM
As in the UND Spirit Lake Sioux? Its been thought of on SS but they may have to get a new logo. As that was part of the retirement.

I didnt mean it like that i meant the Tribe like Will and Mary sorry for not being clearer

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2010, 04:23 PM
xblahblahxxazzx xpopcornx

darell1976
November 30th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I didnt mean it like that i meant the Tribe like Will and Mary sorry for not being clearer

We could possibly be the Tribe however no Indian logo or even feathers are allowed like at W&M. I am sure they are moving away from anything to do with Native Americans and are going to have a more PC nickname.

Gil Dobie
November 30th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Pilots

darell1976
November 30th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Oilers has a nice name to it. So what if Edmonton has it. There is lots of oil in western ND.

No_Skill
November 30th, 2010, 05:54 PM
There are quite a few interesting suggestions over on Bisonville.

footballer23
November 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Can we move this to smack and have some fun with it?

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2010, 06:23 PM
ND Hypodermic needles? xhurrayx

McNeese72
November 30th, 2010, 07:22 PM
The North Dakota Boys named Sue. Oh, wait, the Johnny Cash heirs would probably quash it. :)

TheRevSFA
November 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM
We can't be Tribe, or Warriors, or Indians, or Braves. Nothing related to Native Americans.

Who said it had to be Native American related? A tribe is a group of people..whether Native Americans...Africans...etc.

swaghook
November 30th, 2010, 09:06 PM
They have the law school so this has been offered up as an idea. ;)http://honorindians.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/thumbnail-copy-2-of-010c-north-dakota-sue-poster-edited.bmp

OrygunBison
November 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Think they should be the Red Floodsxlolxxlolxxlolx certainly accurate for Grand Forks location.

The mods certainly won't approve of what I want to write here. It's dirty.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 30th, 2010, 11:48 PM
The North Dakota Boys named Sue. Oh, wait, the Johnny Cash heirs would probably quash it. :)

I'm stealing/adapting this from another post I saw a while back, but why not the UND Fighting Sue? The mascot could be a little girl looking badass with some brass knuckles or something. It would be a unique mascot and a nice fark you to the NCAA's PC ridiculousness.

darell1976
December 1st, 2010, 06:37 AM
Who said it had to be Native American related? A tribe is a group of people..whether Native Americans...Africans...etc.

It can't be people related. No Africans, no Germans, no Irish...oops I guess the NCAA let that one go by.

Gil Dobie
December 1st, 2010, 08:13 AM
Does UND have to cover the 5000+ logo's etched in stone in the Ralph?

darell1976
December 1st, 2010, 09:19 AM
Does UND have to cover the 5000+ logo's etched in stone in the Ralph?

Only some of the logos have to go at the Ralph. Like on the seats and things easily replaced. The ones etched in the granite floor will remain. Plus UND still needs permission from the Ralph to do this. UND does NOT own the Ralph it is privately owned.