PDA

View Full Version : CAA Announcement Scheduled for Today

superman7515
November 30th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Hmm... Charlotte 49ers... You could be on the clock....

Colonial Athletic Association Big announcement from CAA Headquarters tomorrow ... keep an eye on twitter and facebook for more information on Tuesday, Nov. 30!

moss2k
November 30th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I hope we are. Our AD is extremely tight-lipped and zero info leaks out in advance. CAA is by far the best football option for us.

NHwildEcat
November 30th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Do we know anytime this announcement may come out?

superman7515
November 30th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I was told approx 1 p.m. but can't find anything to confirm that. Seems kinda quiet on the Charlotte front, so it could be a conference team adding football (we're looking at you George Mason and VCU) and since they were already in the conference it was able to be hush hush til the CAA could make the announcement. Not sure. The CAA themselves said it's a "big announcement" so I'm interested in seeing what they call big.

danefan
November 30th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Could also have nothing to do with football considering the announcement of the announcement came from the CAA HQ twitter feed and there isn't a single peep from the CAA Football twitter feed.

Remember - CAA Football is a conference separate and apart from the CAA Olympic Sports conference. Many of the same members and shared services (e.g. media, admin, etc..), but a separate entity.

All speculation though.

NHwildEcat
November 30th, 2010, 09:22 AM
How about...Albany & Stony Brook joining and thus helping keep UNH and Maine in the CAA? No? Can I atleast hope?

I am interested to see what shakes today.

henfan
Could be the addition of an all-sport member or members.

superman7515
True. Which could mean a new all sports member? Can't imagine someone joining just for basketball, haha.

danefan
November 30th, 2010, 09:24 AM
How about...Albany & Stony Brook joining and thus helping keep UNH and Maine in the CAA? No? Can I atleast hope?

I am interested to see what shakes today.

Haven't heard a word from the Albany front but that's nothing new either.

We also haven't heard anything on Albany and the NEC contract, which I believe is now expired as well.

NHwildEcat
November 30th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Haven't heard a word from the Albany front but that's nothing new either.

We also haven't heard anything on Albany and the NEC contract, which I believe is now expired as well.

I would like to see UNH & Maine linked with Albany...we all see each other in other sports...location is good. More positives then anything as long as Albany would throw more $$$ into scholly's.

Chemhen
November 30th, 2010, 09:34 AM
It might be nothing we care about (like a brand new twitter feed, or contests on the facebook page, or something like that). If it were bigger, I might expect something on the caa homepage.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Tweet from Mike Barber:

Multiple sources around the Colonial Athletic Association tell me UMass is going to MAC as football member. Announcement later today. #CAA

Holy hell if true.

moss2k
November 30th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Tweet from Mike Barber:

Multiple sources around the Colonial Athletic Association tell me UMass is going to MAC as football member. Announcement later today. #CAA

Holy hell if true.wouldn't that be an announcement for the MAC to make? MWC didn't announce TCU was leaving.

VBR_Productions
November 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I was told approx 1 p.m. but can't find anything to confirm that. Seems kinda quiet on the Charlotte front, so it could be a conference team adding football (we're looking at you George Mason and VCU) and since they were already in the conference it was able to be hush hush til the CAA could make the announcement. Not sure. The CAA themselves said it's a "big announcement" so I'm interested in seeing what they call big.

It could happen at George Mason - they have the land for a stadium and great fundraising. VCU has...access to City Stadium with less on-campus land to build a stadium, and less fundraising. Regardless, I think those schools would make the announcements themselves rather than the CAA making the announcement for them.

VBR_Productions
November 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM
wouldn't that be an announcement for the MAC to make? MWC didn't announce TCU was leaving.

Yes, the CAA wouldn't announce one school would be leaving to join another conference. From what I've read it doesn't seem like most Charlotte fans would like a move to the CAA for basketball reasons, but I'd love to have them as all-sports members.

danefan
November 30th, 2010, 10:10 AM
As I expected:

CAA announcement scheduled for later today has nothing to do with UMass or football, source says.

http://twitter.com/MikeABarber

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2010, 10:12 AM
They may be competing announcements - one by UMass and one by the CAA. But still, they undeniably affect one another.

superman7515
November 30th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Well since we're apparently heading south more and more.... Welcome FAMU to the CAA! Haha

danefan
November 30th, 2010, 10:16 AM
They may be competing announcements - one by UMass and one by the CAA. But still, they undeniably affect one another.

Maybe they don't?

The UMass announcement clearly has something to do with CAA Football, but the CAA announcemnet doesn't appear to have anything to do with football. Just a coincidence maybe.

moss2k
November 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Yes, the CAA wouldn't announce one school would be leaving to join another conference. From what I've read it doesn't seem like most Charlotte fans would like a move to the CAA for basketball reasons, but I'd love to have them as all-sports members.

I would prefer to stay in the A10 for basketball and move all other sports to CAA. Hard for Charlotte to have any pull in basketball since we haven't been relevant in 5 years.

NHwildEcat
November 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Well since we're apparently heading south more and more.... Welcome FAMU to the CAA! Haha

Don't say that haha...Durham, NH to to FAMU is a haul...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Don't say that haha...Durham, NH to to FAMU is a haul...

But Durham to the Lehigh Valley is a bus trip. Just sayin'.

NHwildEcat
November 30th, 2010, 10:30 AM

What your sayin' may become reality sooner then later...

WrenFGun
November 30th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Definitely needs to be looked into, IMO.

ForzaRagno
November 30th, 2010, 10:37 AM
According to the CAA's twitter feed (http://twitter.com/#!/The_CAAFootball/status/9633177928736768), today's announcement isn't football related. Maybe it could still involve all sports, including football, but they seem pretty clear.

Redwyn
November 30th, 2010, 10:38 AM
So if Albany and SBU have anything to do with this:
1. If Albany goes and not Stony Brook - we really screwed the pooch on that one.
2. Albany and SBU to CAA would be a huge boost for both programs in every sport.

WestCoastAggie
November 30th, 2010, 11:29 AM

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/396726_o.gif

DFW HOYA
November 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
According to the CAA's twitter feed (http://twitter.com/#!/The_CAAFootball/status/9633177928736768), today's announcement isn't football related. Maybe it could still involve all sports, including football, but they seem pretty clear.

Three possibilities:
1. Divisional play in other sports.
2. Ga. State to host men's basketball tournament
3. TV deal with CBS College Sports

superman7515
November 30th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Or something even less interesting. Haha