PDA

View Full Version : Props to S.C. State fans

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 28th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I talked with several of them yesterday. I have never in my life met fans from another school who were so friendly, cheerful, and fun. They didn't talk trash. They talked very well about our facilities and University.The marching 101 was amazing. After the game many of them walked up and congratulated us on the win.

And boy do they ever travel well. They travel better to an away game than Furman does to their own game.

I hope we can play them in the future. A home and home would be really great.

Props to them. Good luck next season.

Appattk
November 28th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I talked with several of them yesterday. I have never in my life met fans from another school who were so friendly, cheerful, and fun. They didn't talk trash. They talked very well about our facilities and University.The marching 101 was amazing. After the game many of them walked up and congratulated us on the win.

And boy do they ever travel well. They travel better to an away game than Furman does to their own game.

Encountered the same thing when they've been at App the past two years... Great program and great fans!

GATA
November 28th, 2010, 02:39 PM
You know, I had an overall pleasant experience with the SC State fans as well.

However, many of our fans were pissed when a pocket of SC State fans (including most of their band) started cheering the fact that Jaybo Shaw was seriously hurt. Now don't get me wrong...we all love to cheer a big hit...but the celebrating continued on basically the entire time he was on the ground. From what I saw it was really started by a small pocket of rowdy SC State fans and then the band kinda joined in and it turned into a big **** show...

But other than that...I thought they traveled very well, knew their football, and I had a bunch of interesting conversations throughout the game with Bulldog fans.

GaSouthern
November 28th, 2010, 03:39 PM

However, many of our fans were pissed when a pocket of SC State fans (including most of their band) started cheering the fact that Jaybo Shaw was seriously hurt. Now don't get me wrong...we all love to cheer a big hit...but the celebrating continued on basically the entire time he was on the ground. From what I saw it was really started by a small pocket of rowdy SC State fans and then the band kinda joined in and it turned into a big **** show...

But other than that...I thought they traveled very well, knew their football, and I had a bunch of interesting conversations throughout the game with Bulldog fans.

+1

kdinva
November 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM
many of our fans were pissed when a pocket of SC State fans (including most of their band) started cheering the fact that Jaybo Shaw was seriously hurt. Now don't get me wrong...we all love to cheer a big hit...but the celebrating continued on basically the entire time he was on the ground. From what I saw it was really started by a small pocket of rowdy SC State fans and then the band kinda joined in and it turned into a big **** show...

I saw that also on the video stream (including a couple of asst. coaches). That there told me they were desparate, looking for an edge or ANYTHING. Game was over at the half.

Gringer1
November 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
They celebrated for several minutes while Jaybo was on the ground and one of their players on the field was waving his hands for more noise. That is so disgusting I don't even know what to say.

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 28th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I just saw that over on our board. That's very disrespectful. I'm sad that happened because I talked with many, many SC State fans and they were really great.

But to bring your whole section and your band in on an injury, that's pretty low..

jr95
November 28th, 2010, 05:18 PM

Thanks, please dont let a few bad apples spoil it for the others. I was one of the SCSU fans that was sitting on the end next to the GSU Fans and we were able to enjoy the game, cheer, and all the good stuff with one another. After the game I packed up my things up, shooked hand with about 3 of them and they wished us good luck on next year. So when you say "They celebrated for several minutes while Jaybo was on the ground" You mean some and not all.

eagleruckus
November 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks, please dont let a few bad apples spoil it for the others. I was one of the SCSU fans that was sitting on the end next to the GSU Fans and we were able to enjoy the game, cheer, and all the good stuff with one another. After the game I packed up my things up, shooked hand with about 3 of them and they wished us good luck on next year. So when you say "They celebrated for several minutes while Jaybo was on the ground" You mean some and not all.

Not all but most, dancing and celebrating like they won the game, except all they had done was hurt a college kid, #53 jumping around and waving his hands while jaybo was pretty gross, but in the end jaybo is alright and the sc state is where they belong

SideLine Shooter
November 28th, 2010, 06:29 PM

A few weeks ago when I was there for the ASU game a player from App was injured and on the field and the GSU students and band stood and cheered and celebrated while the player was down and on the field. That was the most disgusting thing I have seen at a college football game.

Gringer1
November 28th, 2010, 06:36 PM
A few weeks ago when I was there for the ASU game a player from App was injured and on the field and the GSU students and band stood and cheered and celebrated while the player was down and on the field. That was the most disgusting thing I have seen at a college football game.

I have absolutely no knowledge of this. I can assuree you I would not tolerate that around me.

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I have absolutely no knowledge of this. I can assuree you I would not tolerate that around me.

First, our band would not do that. Southern Pride is ridiculously strict about how opposing fans and players are to be treated. The members of the band are not only in the band on Saturday, they are every other day of the week. It is a class and they are graded on their performance. They aren't allowed to boo, they aren't allowed to talk trash, and they sure aren't allowed to cheer an opposing team's player who is hurt.

Secondly, I was there and can tell you this didn't happen because I was right next to the band.

Third, some students did clap and cheer when your player got hurt but they were quickly told to cut it out and to have a legit way to hate on App. For instance, a guy in my group was quite happy to see your guy go down and started shouting "That's what you get *expletive*-er" and we were all like "whoa dude calm down.. you can hate on them as a team but no need to bring them or their moms, sisters, or goats into it." It was regular season against our most loathed rival, things like that will happen but they are few and far between. Our student section is usually good (not great but not abhorrent). Against App. we do get pretty rowdy, but that's a good thing. When any player gets hurt Paulson is usually respectful and almost everyone sits down and shuts up. The majority of the students clapped for your boy when he finally got up and walked off the field.

The whole thing about the band is a lie though. Way to wait 3 weeks before even mentioning it. If it really happened like you said it did you would've been on here the next day ripping us hardcore.

paward
November 28th, 2010, 08:33 PM
For what it is worth, I was at the App State vs GSU game. Some students near me did cheer when the player was hurt. I did not see the band reaction but I thought it was in poor taste. It is not reflection on the entire fan base. But it does happen everywhere. It is not the best thing and I am sure they have no intentions of being rude. I at the time did not know a player was hurt. I thought the students were just ribbing another fan at first glance.

SideLine Shooter
November 28th, 2010, 08:56 PM

It did happen and they were very loud and seemed to be very proud of what they were doing.

Eaglesrus
November 28th, 2010, 10:12 PM

For what it is worth, I was at the App State vs GSU game. Some students near me did cheer when the player was hurt. I did not see the band reaction but I thought it was in poor taste. It is not reflection on the entire fan base. But it does happen everywhere. It is not the best thing and I am sure they have no intentions of being rude. I at the time did not know a player was hurt. I thought the students were just ribbing another fan at first glance.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be too surprised if "some" of our students/fans did this. I agree with paward that there is an element in pretty much every fan base that would. Sorry, Sideline Shooter, but I believe that your intense dislike for us (as evidenced repeatedly in numerous threads and which I'm sure you have no problem admitting to) has you imagining seeing any members of our band participating in any such activity.

WestCoastAggie
November 28th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I just want to know who these guys were that got knocked out?

GATA
November 28th, 2010, 10:36 PM

I gotta tell you...I was at the game...and I don't remember it happening. However, maybe you caught a few bad apples acting like dummies...it happens.

I know for a FACT that the entire student section wasn't standing up and cheering as you player was lying on the turf. I've been to enough GSU games to know that doesn't happen and I was at the game in question. As a matter of fact I've routinely seen students yelling at other students to sit the **** down when someone gets hurt.

SpiritCymbal
November 28th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Every game has some jerks that celebrate when a player on the opposite team gets hurt. It's a fact. How many and for how long are different however.

I wasn't at the GSU/SCST game so I won't try to say what did/didn't happen...however I will report that the radio team indicated several times while Jaybo was down at how disgusted they were about the number of fans cheering and that the band was cheering as well. It's possible they were "homering" a little as well. I can accept that. The other thing that sticks out to me is that the "celebration" was noticable enough that it infuriated our defense on the sidelines. Their demeanor was described as "irate". It's no coincidence that SCST's first offensive play after Jaybo was taken out resulted in their QB being hit, fumbled and that fumble returned for a TD. While watching the rest of the defensive series in that half, I can honestly tell you that our defensive players were head-hunting. So whatever did/didn't happen when Jaybo went down was enough to light a serious fire in our D's eyes.

Skjellyfetti
November 29th, 2010, 12:17 AM
It's no coincidence that SCST's first offensive play after Jaybo was taken out resulted in their QB being hit, fumbled and that fumble returned for a TD.

I have to say... that was one of the most impressive plays I've seen in any FCS game this year. Brent Russell tore through the line and batted the ball out of Long's hand before he could even hand the ball off... WOW. Hard to believe he's only a sophomore... he's going to be an absolute force for a long time in the SoCon.

SideLine Shooter
November 29th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Unfortunately I wouldn't be too surprised if "some" of our students/fans did this. I agree with paward that there is an element in pretty much every fan base that would. Sorry, Sideline Shooter, but I believe that your intense dislike for us (as evidenced repeatedly in numerous threads and which I'm sure you have no problem admitting to) has you imagining seeing any members of our band participating in any such activity.

Just returning the favor of ALL GSU posters, but I do know what I saw and heard. Never seen such disgusting actions at any football game.

Baldy
November 29th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Just returning the favor of ALL GSU posters, but I do know what I saw and heard. Never seen such disgusting actions at any football game.
I guess your head and camera are stuck too far up your azz at Appie home games. xlolx

Rekdiver
November 29th, 2010, 08:21 AM
For crying out loud, it is south Georgia, what do you expect? I expect it and they rarely disappoint.
I'm happey Stink won the scsu game though. It's been a few tough years and now I want them to whip Bill and Mary.

Eaglesrus
November 29th, 2010, 09:06 AM
For crying out loud, it is south Georgia, what do you expect? I expect it and they rarely disappoint.
I'm happey Stink won the scsu game though. It's been a few tough years and now I want them to whip Bill and Mary.

That seals it, we will beat W & M. Anything to make an Appy fan happy!

gsu6trophies
November 29th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I sat next to the SC State section. I can tell you that it went on sufficiently long enough to piss me off thoroughly. And when our fans starting booing them it only fired them up more. I have to wonder if State fans did their homework and knew the potential drop off in performance from starter to back-up and if that wasn't what the cheering was about. However the State fans sitting next to me we're very respectful and probably ignored a lot of foolishness that they could have reacted too. I give them credit and wish I could have had a conversation with them, but I was pretty irritated for awhile after their injury celebration.

eaglewraith
November 29th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Goalpost meet bus. All I need to say about App.

Pitbull
November 29th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I know we have some holier than thou GSU fans on here...please read the following.....

This was posted on our fan site by a GSU Alum called decatureagle:

Here we go…I was hoping just to lurk here but there are none without fault in the fan vs. fan argument that’s about to take place. I sat in my usual spot right off the “dividing line” on the 50 and the things that I saw and heard from both my alma mater (GSU) and from the SCSt side were BOTH embarrassing. I even had to reprimand some of our own who were really bordering on stupid. You don’t cheer a player when he’s down and hurt, I saw that from SCSt fans…but I also heard and was disgusted by a GSU fan who screamed toward the SCSt fans to “Leave their wh*res at home” referring to the SCSt cheerleaders. Before I, or anyone in that stadium wearing blue and white and rooting on the Eagles, wants to disparage anything that was done in the moments that Jaybo lay motionless on the ground which again was unjustifiably classless, I won’t go to hard on the throttle after having heard “n***er” whispered from people sitting around me, their dance team and cheerleaders called “who*res” and other disparaging comments from MY alma mater that even I didn’t appreciate.

Is Paulson “our house”? Absolutely. Should it be a tough place for visitors to come and play? Absolutely, and I don’t apologize for that. But for anyone sitting in that general area that heard what I heard at some points, that was inexcusable and certainly does not represent what all of us Eagles are about. I for one, at some points, live in a glass house so I won’t throw too many stones.

Thanks for coming to Statesboro; always good to see another school that supports their guys.

Read more: http://scstatedoghouse.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=bulldogsports&thread=2549&page=2#18805#ixzz16h7XfxWP

=====================================
I addition to this...what the GSU fans who were chanting at our player ..."Go back to Jail"...
And what about the guy who was showing the Confederate flag w/ pride...Oh yeah that wasn't offensive at all....xthumbsdownxxpissedx

WileECoyote06
November 29th, 2010, 11:53 AM
xsmhx

Jaguar79
November 29th, 2010, 12:09 PM
In my experience, it is MUCH easier to be humble and considerate and all of the other accolades GSU posters have laid on the SCSU fans when your team is kicking their teeth down their throat.

Got my own taste of it in New Orleans Saturday. No reason to be hostile when your team is taking it like ..... well, you can figure it out.

mikebigg
November 29th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I know we have some holier than thou GSU fans on here...please read the following.....

This was posted on our fan site by a GSU Alum called decatureagle:

Here we go…I was hoping just to lurk here but there are none without fault in the fan vs. fan argument that’s about to take place. I sat in my usual spot right off the “dividing line” on the 50 and the things that I saw and heard from both my alma mater (GSU) and from the SCSt side were BOTH embarrassing. I even had to reprimand some of our own who were really bordering on stupid. You don’t cheer a player when he’s down and hurt, I saw that from SCSt fans…but I also heard and was disgusted by a GSU fan who screamed toward the SCSt fans to “Leave their wh*res at home” referring to the SCSt cheerleaders. Before I, or anyone in that stadium wearing blue and white and rooting on the Eagles, wants to disparage anything that was done in the moments that Jaybo lay motionless on the ground which again was unjustifiably classless, I won’t go to hard on the throttle after having heard “n***er” whispered from people sitting around me, their dance team and cheerleaders called “who*res” and other disparaging comments from MY alma mater that even I didn’t appreciate.

Is Paulson “our house”? Absolutely. Should it be a tough place for visitors to come and play? Absolutely, and I don’t apologize for that. But for anyone sitting in that general area that heard what I heard at some points, that was inexcusable and certainly does not represent what all of us Eagles are about. I for one, at some points, live in a glass house so I won’t throw too many stones.

Thanks for coming to Statesboro; always good to see another school that supports their guys.

Read more: http://scstatedoghouse.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=bulldogsports&thread=2549&page=2#18805#ixzz16h7XfxWP

=====================================
I addition to this...what the GSU fans who were chanting at our player ..."Go back to Jail"...
And what about the guy who was showing the Confederate flag w/ pride...Oh yeah that wasn't offensive at all....xthumbsdownxxpissedx

Too bad all of that foolishness had to go down... It's always a few idiots and their idiotic antics/comments that make it bad for the good fans who want to enjoy a competitive game. We still have a ways to go...but Class wins out eventually!

Eaglesrus
November 29th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Too bad all of that foolishness had to go down... It's always a few idiots and their idiotic antics/comments that make it bad for the good fans who want to enjoy a competitive game. We still have a ways to go...but Class wins out eventually!

Absolutely agree. I know some other GSU fans have said differently in the last few days, but I would still like to see us start playing each other more often, at least like we did back between '85 and '95.

SideLine Shooter
November 29th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I guess your head and camera are stuck too far up your azz at Appie home games. xlolx

Now there is another South Georgia College scholar.

Baldy
November 29th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Now there is another South Georgia College scholar.
Says the graduate of 13th grade.

Big Dawg
November 29th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I think maybe some GSU fans are reading more into this than what it is. I honestly believe that SCSU fans were cheering the big hit and the stop right after the hit. It's possible that they didn't notice he was on the field hurt after the hit. Maybe they just thought he got his bell rung.

Remember last year when the guy from ASU got clocked and was laying on the field and everybody continued to cheer before gving him a stading ovation. Sometimes in the emotion of a big play, the fans don't really know everything that's going on.

GATA
November 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I think maybe some GSU fans are reading more into this than what it is. I honestly believe that SCSU fans were cheering the big hit and the stop right after the hit. It's possible that they didn't notice he was on the field hurt after the hit. Maybe they just thought he got his bell rung.

Remember last year when the guy from ASU got clocked and was laying on the field and everybody continued to cheer before gving him a stading ovation. Sometimes in the emotion of a big play, the fans don't really know everything that's going on.

nah, that's not what happened.

Again. It wasn't the ENTIRE SC State fan base. It was really just a pocket a fans and some knuckleheads from the band. They were QUITE aware that he was badly injured and weren't celebrating a big hit...that time had passed about 5 minutes earlier. At a certain point they were deliberately celebrating that the kid was hurt.

eaglewraith
November 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
nah, that's not what happened.

Again. It wasn't the ENTIRE SC State fan base. It was really just a pocket a fans and some knuckleheads from the band. They were QUITE aware that he was badly injured and weren't celebrating a big hit...that time had passed about 5 minutes earlier. At a certain point they were deliberately celebrating that the kid was hurt.

To add onto this I specifically witnessed a few SC State supporters in front of me in screaming "Yea that's right, take his *** out," they were definitely cheering the fact that Jaybo was down because they had stopped cheering for the big hit on the pitch man and then started again when they saw Shaw was down.

GATA
November 29th, 2010, 03:40 PM
To add onto this I specifically witnessed a few SC State supporters in front of me in screaming "Yea that's right, take his *** out," they were definitely cheering the fact that Jaybo was down because they had stopped cheering for the big hit on the pitch man and then started again when they saw Shaw was down.

Exactly.

However, I'm well aware that we have the most ignorant and rowdy fanbase around...so It's not like I'm mad at the few SC State fans who took pleasure in an injury. I've seen our fans act WAY worse. But the bottom line is I don't excuse our fans for acting like idiots and I'm not gonna ignore when other fans act like idiots either. I go out of my way to tell folks to shut the **** up when they're embarassing my alma mater (so I spend a TON of time doing this).

I-16Bandit
November 29th, 2010, 06:44 PM
And boy do they ever travel well.

That's the truth.

Goalpost meet bus. All I need to say about App.

+1

SideLine Shooter
November 29th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Says the graduate of 13th grade.

Sure beats your K graduation degree. I love throwing trash at GSU fans because they always have a come back. No matter how week it is.

gsu1moretime
November 29th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Sure beats your K graduation degree. I love throwing trash at GSU fans because they always have a come back. No matter how week it is.

yes very WEAK.

I-16Bandit
November 29th, 2010, 08:06 PM
No matter how week it is.

Didn't realize that arguments were based on time.

Baldy
November 29th, 2010, 09:50 PM
xoopsx

Ummm, you might need to check the bottom of your shoes, I think you just stepped in some *****. xlmaox

seantaylor
November 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM

The brilliance of this smack puts us all in our places.