PDA

View Full Version : FCS HBCUs Featured on Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel (http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/index.html#/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/episodes/0/164-episode/video/hazing.html/eNrjcmbO0CzLTEnNd8xLzKksyUx2zs8rSa0oUc-PSYEJBSSmp-ol5qYyFzLnszECoXRiaUl+QU5ipW1JUWkqJyMjAG2-Fzg=) did a feature story on hazing at HBCUs as far as the legendary bands are concerned.

The story focused on mostly Southern, but a bit of Jackson State and Alabama A&M. Made it out to be that the lone 'safe haven' at the highest level of bands was Norfolk State - saying that people go there to get away from the hazing at other schools.

One of the students that talked stated that the fans go to the football games for the bands and that the bands are the most respected group at these institutions. That the football games themselves are events and atmosphere instead of football... guess you can disagree based on this year's Bayou Classic attendance (and Southern's poor record with Grambling playing for nothing).

WestCoastAggie
November 28th, 2010, 10:48 AM
What's your point man?

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2010, 10:51 AM
What's your point man?

Publicity for FCS... whether good or bad... it's major medium publicity for several FCS schools (the HBCUs - particularly those in the SWAC) as it pertains to something dealing with their FCS programs - i.e. the bands.

The best point made was that despite all the hazing and well known problems, no school has suspended their band. I did not think this was true - seem to vaguely recall a suspension... but if true, apparently performing at the football games is more important than providing a lesson to students who are seeking out an education...

WestCoastAggie
November 28th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Publicity for FCS... whether good or bad... it's major medium publicity for several FCS schools (the HBCUs - particularly those in the SWAC) as it pertains to something dealing with their FCS programs - i.e. the bands.

The best point made was that despite all the hazing and well known problems, no school has suspended their band. I did not think this was true - seem to vaguely recall a suspension... but if true, apparently performing at the football games is more important than providing a lesson to students who are seeking out an education...

Just letting you know now, no HBCU will ever suspend their band for a game unless it is something so drastic and dire. Even then, this will do nothing to change that culture.

Also, are you sure this is publicity for the entire FCS sub-conference and not just HBCU Band Culture? I did not once hear any mention of FCS Playoffs or reference to any FCS conference team in this segment.

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Just letting you know now, no HBCU will ever suspend their band for a game unless it is something so drastic and dire. Even then, this will do nothing to change that culture.

Based on what I watched, someone was nearly killed... and had they not been rushed to the hospital, they very well may have. I guess someone is going to have to die due to hazing before an HBCU or even a non-HBCU for that matter, has to act... death tends to drive things, it seems.

Also, are you sure this is publicity for the entire FCS sub-conference and not just HBCU Band Culture? I did not once hear any mention of FCS Playoffs or reference to any FCS conference team in this segment.

There were plenty of references to FCS schools with plenty of footage from FCS games. Bands are a large part of the HBCU experience and the games themselves... for those who watched the Bayou Classic on NBC yesterday, I am sure it would've been obvious if one or both of the bands weren't there...