PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota State at Montana State

TheBisonator
November 27th, 2010, 09:25 PM
This will be a good'n on Saturday. NDSU's defense and running game are built for the conditions that might arise in Bozeman. Also, the Cats are a very physical team that is adept at taking advantage of opportunities at the right time. This will be a very good game. I don't know which ESPN branch will have the game on. Discuss it up, Bison and Cats fans!!!

My prediction:

Either NDSU 16 MSU 13 or MSU 16 NDSU 13.

onbison09
November 27th, 2010, 09:32 PM
www.espn3.com will have the game. Hope we can bring our A game and we might have a chance.

MplsBison
November 27th, 2010, 09:36 PM
This will be a good'n on Saturday. NDSU's defense and running game are built for the conditions that might arise in Bozeman. Also, the Cats are a very physical team that is adept at taking advantage of opportunities at the right time. This will be a very good game. I don't know which ESPN branch will have the game on. Discuss it up, Bison and Cats fans!!!

My prediction:

Either NDSU 16 MSU 13 or MSU 16 NDSU 13.

I admit I haven't seen MSU play for a while, but when NDSU played them in Bozemen in '05, MSU was not a physical offensive team. They were a 4-wide shotgun team. That's basketball on grass, IMO. It's not physical.

Maybe things have changed since then, I would not know.

TheBisonator
November 27th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I admit I haven't seen MSU play for a while, but when NDSU played them in Bozemen in '05, MSU was not a physical offensive team. They were a 4-wide shotgun team. That's basketball on grass, IMO. It's not physical.

OK, Mr. Walking Contradiction. Anyone else have insight??

Twentysix
November 27th, 2010, 09:43 PM
OK, Mr. Walking Contradiction. Anyone else have insight??

lol

CopperCat
November 27th, 2010, 09:44 PM

Yes, they have changed alot. Four RB's to pick from, one of which has ripped some 20+ yard plays off. He's got great lateral vision and solid forward acceleration. The offensive line has had a great season in spite of being beat up. This should be a great game to watch.

Tod
November 27th, 2010, 09:48 PM

You lost that game. So what's your point, that a basketball team beat your team?

MplsBison
November 27th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Yes, they have changed alot. Four RB's to pick from, one of which has ripped some 20+ yard plays off. He's got great lateral vision and solid forward acceleration. The offensive line has had a great season in spite of being beat up. This should be a great game to watch.

Thanks for the info. But what scheme do you run? Is it still the chuck n' duck stuff? Or do you line up like men? In other words, with the QB under center and multiple RB in the backfield.

MplsBison
November 27th, 2010, 09:49 PM
You lost that game. So what's your point, that a basketball team beat your team?

That they weren't physical.

TheBisonator
November 27th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Please please please please MplsBison, PLEASE stop messing up this thread. I REALLY don't want to come back tomorrow and see 4 pages in a thread I started of an argument that you had with another person. PLEASE PLEASE just be civil FOR ONCE!!!!!

MplsBison
November 27th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Please please please please MplsBison, PLEASE stop messing up this thread. I REALLY don't want to come back tomorrow and see 4 pages in a thread I started of an argument that you had with another person. PLEASE PLEASE just be civil FOR ONCE!!!!!

I'm in the free and clear now! I can spout off as much as I want - I'll just tell them "Bisonator started it".

X-Factor
November 27th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I don't necessarily believe that the Bison have a good chance of winning in Bozeman, but I still think it will be a great game! DJ will be quite a load for the cat's defense to contain. Our team is simply too young to make too much of a run in the playoffs. I am impressed that we made it this far. Our wide receivers are still not on page with the QB, especially #6, he looks completely lost and I have no idea how he is even in the starting lineup xchinscratchx
I am looking forward to the trip out to Bozeman, I was there in 2005 and I'll be there again next week!

ming01
November 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Ill say Montana State 13 NDSU 9. Hopefully our offense gets some confidence going after today

darell1976
November 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM
MSU 28
NDSU 27 OT

Game could go either way. Plus who knows what the weather will be like.

Wildcat80
November 27th, 2010, 10:35 PM
brrrrrr....at least NDS has a dome......brrrrrr

Cat95
November 27th, 2010, 10:41 PM
cats run split back, power I, shot gun option, single set back, lots of shot gun 5 wide. We have 3 power backs and a speed back with great field vision. Our recievers all 5 of them are very fast with good hands. QB well you will see, he is a red shirt fr, wicked speed, he is on the payton list, We average aot 475+ yards a game. On D very fast and physical. front four are bad ***, can get to the qb fast abd eat the run. line backers swarm and hit hard. After watching the game today an knowing the cats well. ,,,,,,,,

Cats 42 Bison 10xnodx

ming01
November 27th, 2010, 10:58 PM
cats run split back, power I, shot gun option, single set back, lots of shot gun 5 wide. We have 3 power backs and a speed back with great field vision. Our recievers all 5 of them are very fast with good hands. QB well you will see, he is a red shirt fr, wicked speed, he is on the payton list, We average aot 475+ yards a game. On D very fast and physical. front four are bad ***, can get to the qb fast abd eat the run. line backers swarm and hit hard. After watching the game today an knowing the cats well. ,,,,,,,,

Cats 42 Bison 10xnodx

against our defense? no way sir

Cat95
November 27th, 2010, 11:10 PM
we have faced stronger D's and we will see if you can run. because you sure cant pass

GrizBowl
November 27th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Hate to admit I was right, Cats were the sleeper team of the Big Sky Conference and I'm afraid they may humiliate the Griz by winning the whole thing.

MSU 21 North Dakota 7

Drblankstare
November 27th, 2010, 11:14 PM
NDSU just needs to throw 30 screen passes a game. no big deal

Dakota4570
November 27th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Hate to admit I was right, Cats were the sleeper team of the Big Sky Conference and I'm afraid they may humiliate the Griz by winning the whole thing.

MSU 21 North Dakota STATE 7

Thanks.

Cat95
November 27th, 2010, 11:24 PM
6-0 at home and yes we beat #1 EWU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UPqad-WfN4

kcatz
November 27th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Montana State is featuring a red shirt freshman QB who was big sky conference POW 3 weeks and National Freshman of the week 3 times and is also on the final Payton Watch list.

Our offense is #4 in total offense, #9 scoring (34.45 per game), #9 in passing offense and #31 in rushing offense.

We are ranked #41 in rush defense and #86 in total defense (mostly because we were decimated with injuries on our d line for weeks 4-9).

NDSU is ranked #90 in total offense, #94 passing offense, #58 rushing offense and #75 in scoring offense (ave per game 21.82.

NDSU def = #86 rush D, and #73 in total d.

I predict no less than 38 points and 400 yards of offense at home against NDSU.

38-16 final

FargoBison
November 28th, 2010, 12:03 AM
NDSU is #8 in scoring defense, giving up less than 17 points per game. NDSU is 12th in turnover margin. You are looking at the wrong stats, we run a tampa 2 scheme which is bend but don't break and when the QB is pressured the turnovers start flowing.

NDSU might have the best defense MSU will play against all year.

Here are some defensive stats over our last five games....

38 QBH
12 Sacks
7 INT
8 FF
3 defensive TDs
38 TFL
13 pts per game given up

Keep in mind......in that stretch of games we have played the #15, #24, #27 and #30 scoring offenses

Slackjaw
November 28th, 2010, 12:25 AM
As a Montana State fan, I sure hate it when my fellow fans start predicting games this way. I feel we have a good chance to come away with a win but I'm not about to say 30 something to 3. That just seems like your asking for bad luck.

Twentysix
November 28th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Montana State is featuring a red shirt freshman QB who was big sky conference POW 3 weeks and National Freshman of the week 3 times and is also on the final Payton Watch list.

Our offense is #4 in total offense, #9 scoring (34.45 per game), #9 in passing offense and #31 in rushing offense.

We are ranked #41 in rush defense and #86 in total defense (mostly because we were decimated with injuries on our d line for weeks 4-9).

NDSU is ranked #90 in total offense, #94 passing offense, #58 rushing offense and #75 in scoring offense (ave per game 21.82.

38-16 final

Taking what you and fargo bison say and putting it toghether im getting something like...

NDSU 31 (2 defensive scores)
MSU 21 (0 defensive scores)

NDSU 260 overall yards
MSU 470 overall yards.

Turnover margin

NDSU 2
MSU 4
Points win games not yardage statistics.

My other prediction is

NDSU 6 (2 fg's)
MSU 17

da_Bison
November 28th, 2010, 12:47 AM

38-16 final

xchinscratchxso what you're say is you're gonna beat us worse than all these close ones>

Sat, Oct 2 at Sacramento State W 64-61
Sat, Oct 9 Portland State W 44-31
Sat, Oct 16 at Northern Arizona L 7-34
Sat, Oct 23 Northern Colorado W 37-35
Sat, Oct 30 at Idaho State W 23-20
Sat, Nov 6 Weber State W 24-10
Sat, Nov 20 at Montana W 21-16

good luck next week xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
November 28th, 2010, 01:29 AM
It's a tough call just because I'm a Bison fan and want the Bison to win. I've voted Montana St #1 for 3 straight weeks, denied once. Good to see Jensen back and playing well after his broken clavicle. Like others have said, Bison maybe to young to win on the road in the playoffs. Hope they keep it close and competitive..... and I wouldn't mind a win either. :)

NDSUFREAK
November 28th, 2010, 01:51 AM
don't you have teh hockies to play somewhere??? Just keep in mind, your future "mates" MSU will be kicking the **** out of you in a couple years.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I think NDSU is pretty darn good. I've kept track of them all season after they beat Kansas. The whole Temple, MAC, Buffalo, Turner Gill first game deal made me take notice when the Bison won. Any time you can play great defense week in and week out you got a chance. NDSU wins this game imo.

Houndawg
November 28th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I don't necessarily believe that the Bison have a good chance of winning in Bozeman, but I still think it will be a great game! DJ will be quite a load for the cat's defense to contain. Our team is simply too young to make too much of a run in the playoffs. I am impressed that we made it this far. Our wide receivers are still not on page with the QB, especially #6, he looks completely lost and I have no idea how he is even in the starting lineup xchinscratchx
I am looking forward to the trip out to Bozeman, I was there in 2005 and I'll be there again next week!

It was "now or never" time for the Bison. The MVC is the weakest it's ever been and you got a first round opponent with 30 scholarships. A perfect storm - which is what you'll need next week in the form of about a foot of snow.

clawman
November 28th, 2010, 06:54 AM

Cats 42 Bison 10xnodx

Cat95, what did the Griz do to shut your offense down in the 2nd half?

Gil Dobie
November 28th, 2010, 09:23 AM
It was "now or never" time for the Bison. The MVC is the weakest it's ever been and you got a first round opponent with 30 scholarships. A perfect storm - which is what you'll need next week in the form of about a foot of snow.

....and if the Bison happen to win next week, it will be the Big Sky must be weak. :(

Cat95
November 28th, 2010, 09:45 AM
clawman, dont you have a game to worry about? but you are trolling again. but i expect that from EWU. As for the Griz. they lost.

I will let the team do the talking on the field, Clawman enjoy the rag for 1 more week.

DJKyR0
November 28th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I'm pumped for this game. Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of MSU but obviously if they're seeded they must be good, and the fact that another BSC team got a seed tells me the Big Sky was pretty up this year. I know they have what one Bisonviller described as "an animal" at QB, and it'll be interesting to see how we do in containing him having faced a number of good quarterbacks in the Valley - notably Rennie, Barr, Brown, Fouch, Warren, even Hess from YSU. Two of those guys killed us in Barr and Rennie while the other three, faced later in the season, had less of an impact as our defense started to really gel. While trying to be objective I'm more and more convinced that our defense is one of the best in the country and as we saw vs. RMU we can lean on our boys to win games while our offense picks up steam. If our D can figure out this QB and thwart this offense I think we stand a better shot than some people might think.

The Mont. St. fans that have swung by Bisonville have been nothing but class and hospitality so I'll wish the Bobcat fans on here good luck and fun tailgating. Can't wait for Saturday.

Professor Chaos
November 28th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I think anyone looking at this objectively has to tab Montana St as the comfortable favorite. The Bison have been less than stellar on the road (especially offesively) all season and the Cats haven't lost in Bozeman. Ironically, poor weather may help the visitors more than the home team as it would work to negate the speed advantages that MSU has at the skill positions. QB continues to be NDSU's biggest question mark but I feel much better about that going into this game than I did a month ago. Jensen has been far from spectacular but he at least gives the offense some bite and hopefully finally having an injury free week from him will get him and the passing game on track.

My heart is picking the Bison but my head is picking the Cats: MSU 24, NDSU 13

Drblankstare
November 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I think anyone looking at this objectively has to tab Montana St as the comfortable favorite. The Bison have been less than stellar on the road (especially offesively) all season and the Cats haven't lost in Bozeman. Ironically, poor weather may help the visitors more than the home team as it would work to negate the speed advantages that MSU has at the skill positions. QB continues to be NDSU's biggest question mark but I feel much better about that going into this game than I did a month ago. Jensen has been far from spectacular but he at least gives the offense some bite and hopefully finally having an injury free week from him will get him and the passing game on track.

My heart is picking the Bison but my head is picking the Cats: MSU 24, NDSU 13

That hits it perfectly. NDSU's offense will need to play like never before on the road. Our QB must have a great game period. Our D is good, but will not come close to shutting down Mont St. The offense will probably have to score 30 points and that might be too much to ask. Good luck to all next week.

clawman
November 28th, 2010, 11:02 AM
clawman, dont you have a game to worry about? but you are trolling again. but i expect that from EWU. As for the Griz. they lost.

I will let the team do the talking on the field, Clawman enjoy the rag for 1 more week.

WOW thin skin. I was asking a legitimate question not being cynical. The Cats did not score in the 2nd half.

Cat95
November 28th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Not thin skinned, they tried to run smart clock run down plays, hoping to keep the Griz D off balance and Let our D take over the game, Did we need to score the 2nd half, NO we still came away with the win. What excuse are you using in the 30-7 loss to us? TJ got shut down and hurt our D didnt let you score. They are now healthy again. I dont see a let down by us, the boys are more focued than ever. A bye week after a big win is huge.

I do expect a good game for the first half, then I expect the cats to take over. And if the EWU wins I will see you in Bozeman in a real stadium with out Rag red turf.
But that is my upset pick, EWU 1 and done.

To all the Bison fans coming to Bozeman, Welcome. enjoy your stay and stop by the tail gates. Hope to see lots of you. and good luck.

trouthunter
November 28th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I am going to hold my nose and root for the Cats next weekend, but I think that they are going to have their hands full with NDSU.

blukeys
November 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM
....and if the Bison happen to win next week, it will be the Big Sky must be weak. :(

You have heard the term Big Fluffy Sky Conference???

It's not as if this concept is new.

swaghook
November 28th, 2010, 02:38 PM
It's going to take some magic to win this game for NDSU but who knows maybe there will be that magic in Montana for NDSU. Jenson seems to provide a spark for our O that Mohler doesn't seem to bring to the game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I am going to hold my nose and root for the Cats next weekend, but I think that they are going to have their hands full with NDSU.

If our offense can sustain drives the Cats will have their hands full....

MplsBison
November 28th, 2010, 04:13 PM
MSU obviously was the class of the Big Sky this season, but what's the deal with some of the close wins to low-tier FCS teams like Idaho State and Northern Colorado (this one in Bozeman, no less!) and then getting blown out in Flag? That loss to NAU makes no sense at all, compared with the rest of the regular season. Were guys hurt for that game? Food poisoning?

OrygunBison
November 28th, 2010, 05:04 PM
The Bison D can play with anyone in FCS, IMO. It is the offense that is offensive at times. The thing that absolutely kills me, however, is that the actual raw talent is there. They just cannot seem to put it together for any length of time. There have been moments that the offense looks unstoppable for a drive, then they just dribble it down the leg on the next. Cannot hold momentum. If the cobwebs can finally get shaken out - like we have been waiting for all year - the Bison could be a dangerous team in these playoffs.

That all said, I'm going with Cats 24 - Bison 13.

I'll see you in Bozeman on Saturday!!!!!

trouthunter
November 28th, 2010, 05:05 PM
MSU obviously was the class of the Big Sky this season, but what's the deal with some of the close wins to low-tier FCS teams like Idaho State and Northern Colorado (this one in Bozeman, no less!) and then getting blown out in Flag? That loss to NAU makes no sense at all, compared with the rest of the regular season. Were guys hurt for that game? Food poisoning?

That is exactly what I am getting at. A close game against Northern Colorado, and a slim 3 point OVERTIME win against the perennial cellar dweller Idaho. A mere 5 points over the Griz--who did everything in their power to give the Cats the game.

CopperCat
November 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
NDSU is #8 in scoring defense, giving up less than 17 points per game. NDSU is 12th in turnover margin. You are looking at the wrong stats, we run a tampa 2 scheme which is bend but don't break and when the QB is pressured the turnovers start flowing.

NDSU might have the best defense MSU will play against all year.

Here are some defensive stats over our last five games....

38 QBH
12 Sacks
7 INT
8 FF
3 defensive TDs
38 TFL
13 pts per game given up

Keep in mind......in that stretch of games we have played the #15, #24, #27 and #30 scoring offenses

Turnovers have been a problem for the Cats in the second half of the season, yet they still managed to win all of those games. That doesn't mean we can't turn the ball over, because I'm sure NDSU knows it needs to capitalize especially on the road. The winner in that stat should probably be the winner come Saturday.

It seemed like most of the turnovers for MSU were the result of bad ball handling or a fluke, but some of them were just bad ball security. McGhee (QB) seemed to have fixed that problem at Cat-griz, didn't commit a single turnover, nor did the RB corps. McGhee also has a nearly 5-1 TD to INT ratio, so most of the turnovers have been on the ground. When he rolls out of the pocket he is just as dangerous as he is in the pocket. I'm not very well versed on MVFC QB's so I don't know how many QB's NDSU has seen like him. He has great vision to keep a play going when the defense is in his face, so that is an asset to MSU having to go up against a "more physical" front four from NDSU. I watched the NDSU/RMU game a bit, and I still think NAU had the most physical front line between the two (very similar in size and scheme though). It will be interesting to see how the run game plays out for both teams, given each side has used it to win games recently for different reason.

Gil Dobie
November 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM
All-time series is NDSU 12 wins, MSU 21 wins.
Biggest win 54-0 NDSU 1922, 35-0 MSU 1961
Last game, MSU 20-17 winner 2005

DJKyR0
November 28th, 2010, 06:47 PM
If you want to lead go to NDSU, if you want to follow the leader go to UND - Common Knowledge

rip-off revisionists are DOUCHEBAGS and DESERVE to lose.....first....the original quote:

"You want to work on a farm you go to NDSU; you want to own the farm you go to UND" Defensive Cordinator Dale Lennon in 1995

Best of luck to our future conference mates at Montana St!!! - GO BOBCATS!!!!:-)

Good luck to your football team this weekend.

NDB
November 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
And Lennon stole it from Frank Zappa:

"If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library."

And let's not forget that Dale left the sinking ship that is UND football.

kab
November 28th, 2010, 08:58 PM
And Lennon stole it from Frank Zappa:

"If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library."

And let's not forget that Dale left the sinking ship that is UND football.

if you want to milk cows go to ndsu, if you want to fly go to UND

Gil Dobie
November 28th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Either is a constructive career, just depends on your perspective.

TheBisonator
November 28th, 2010, 09:35 PM

Too bad pilots don't make d**k for salary.

Ever watch that Frontline special on the overworked pilots living in poverty??

BTW, the ag market in the midwest is booming. Lots of rich farmers (read: NDSU grads).

Gil Dobie
November 29th, 2010, 08:14 AM

What goes around, comes around. I remember many UND fans during NDSU's first year of transition asking Bison fans who they were playing while UND was in the DII playoffs. xwhistlex

darell1976
November 29th, 2010, 08:36 AM

I am pretty confident we will play our opponent this weekend "toe to toe" to quote Coach Mussman.xlolx Any idea if the MSU-NDSU game will be on tv?

wapiti
November 29th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Weather prediction for Sat Dec 4 in Bozeman
Partly Cloudy
33°
16°
20% of snow

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Weather prediction for Sat Dec 4 in Bozeman
Partly Cloudy
33°
16°
20% of snow

...and 100% chance of THUNDER!!!

Sorry, it's cheesy but I couldn't resist.

Gil Dobie
November 29th, 2010, 10:14 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JykJ7hcACMc&feature=related

footballer23
November 29th, 2010, 11:03 AM

It should be a whale of a game! ... How's that for cheesy?

Gil Dobie
November 29th, 2010, 11:06 AM
It should be a whale of a game! ... How's that for cheesy?

I drove by Whale of a Wash on Saturday, does Bohl own them? ;)

F'N Hawks
November 29th, 2010, 11:08 AM

You may have stole that one from Chick Hicks (for all the CARS movie buffs out there!)

darell1976
November 29th, 2010, 11:58 AM
You may have stole that one from Chick Hicks (for all the CARS movie buffs out there!)

I was thinking the same thing...Ka-Chinga Ka-Chinga.

wapiti
November 29th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I put out a weather prediction for this game. I suppose I should put out a game prediction too.

NDSU 17 MSU 31 MSU has home field advantage and has had two weeks to prepare for this game (Only a week for opponent strategy). NDSU is no slouch of a team, but I think MSU will put the game away in the 4th quarter. MSU's offense has played well most of the year and MSU's defense has been stepping it up at the end of this season. NDSU's defense will challenge the Cats for the first 2.5 quarters, but the Cat's offense will prove to be a bit too much for the Bision.

Houndawg
November 29th, 2010, 04:16 PM
For the Bison to win they will need to:

Score first

Get a couple of short fields from the defense

Win the special teams game

catbob
November 29th, 2010, 05:29 PM
The Cats have had a propensity to start out flat at home. There were a couple games where we got down 2 scores before you even knew what happened. Luckily we came storming back in both of those games. Unfortunately, if we give a 10 point or more cushion to the Bison, we might not be able to storm back. The key will be establishing our defense right out of the game, because NDSU's defense is too good to allow us to score at will like we did after we got down quickly against PSU (then scored something like 38 unanswered points though).

The key defensively for NDSU will be pressuring McGhee, but everyone has tried that this season. (I still don't know what happened at NAU, McGhee had a bum ankle but that doesn't explain much). He is very different from the RMU QB NDSU just faced as he scrambles side to side with his eyes down field looking to make the throw first, before attempting to scramble. He is a good scrambler, plenty quick, but has had problems holding onto the ball. And our receivers are too quick to be covered for too long, so if you give McGhee 5 seconds or more he is going to find someone open. He can stretch a play like no one I've seen at MSU.

Thundar
November 29th, 2010, 06:36 PM
The Cats have had a propensity to start out flat at home. There were a couple games where we got down 2 scores before you even knew what happened. Luckily we came storming back in both of those games. Unfortunately, if we give a 10 point or more cushion to the Bison, we might not be able to storm back. The key will be establishing our defense right out of the game, because NDSU's defense is too good to allow us to score at will like we did after we got down quickly against PSU (then scored something like 38 unanswered points though).

The key defensively for NDSU will be pressuring McGhee, but everyone has tried that this season. (I still don't know what happened at NAU, McGhee had a bum ankle but that doesn't explain much). He is very different from the RMU QB NDSU just faced as he scrambles side to side with his eyes down field looking to make the throw first, before attempting to scramble. He is a good scrambler, plenty quick, but has had problems holding onto the ball. And our receivers are too quick to be covered for too long, so if you give McGhee 5 seconds or more he is going to find someone open. He can stretch a play like no one I've seen at MSU.

I really feel this will be the best game of the entire playoffs, MSU with a Frosh QB against NDSU with 2 Frosh DB's that are Brutal quick and hit Hard ask SDSU how they feel. 4 INT's against SDSU and 1 last saturday. Trust me these guys can cover and run. I'm soo pumped for this game. Both teams match up pretty good

Twentysix
November 29th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I drove by Whale of a Wash on Saturday, does Bohl own them? ;)

Ive been doing cable one audits all day. Im pretty sure he owns Craig apartments up north. lol.

mtbigdog
November 29th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Kitties 28 Next door neighbors 13. How many North Dakotans does it take to -----?

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Somehow, I don't forsee the weather affecting the Bison all that much. Here are some photos (http://bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22100) a Bisonviller took of practice yesterday. Today it's even worse out there.

Some other pics from the Fargo Forum:
A cool passer (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/286317/headline/A%20cool%20passer/)
Getting used to the snow (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/286318/headline/Getting%20used%20to%20the%20snow/)
Blowing snow (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/286320/headline/Blowing%20snow%20makes%20for%20tough%20visuals/)

RabidRabbit
November 30th, 2010, 11:35 AM
At least NDSU gets the opportunity to practice for the potential lousy weather, unlike the usual Southland victims sent to Montana (or MT St.)

Justin Observation
November 30th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Best of Luck NDSU.

Walkon79
December 1st, 2010, 09:43 AM
How did this get pushed to page 2? Most intriguing game in the first round.

Must be cause everyone is over on Bisonville bithching about:

- Not Getting Enough Tickets
- Not getting a whole section to yourselves on the 35 yard line
- BobcatNation is slow with no bloggers
- Not getting you own tailgate spot right in front of the stadium gate
- 9 hour car ride
- Airline Tickets too expensive

Did I miss anything :)

Gil Dobie
December 1st, 2010, 10:14 AM

- 9 hour car ride

Welcome to Bisonville ;)

No_Skill
December 1st, 2010, 10:38 AM
I think everything that can be said about this game already has been said and and both sides are just ready for it to be played.

I guess we could start bickering like over at the App WIU thread.

100%GRIZ
December 1st, 2010, 12:12 PM
So who am I rooting for in this one? Hate the cats but like the Big Sky! All I can say is Good Luck to both teams! Should be a fun one to watch!

MNBISON
December 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM

- 9 hour car ride

I don't think it's everyone at Bisonville, just one guy for the most part.xlolx

wapiti
December 2nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
A weather update for the game.
Today: Suppose to snow this afternoon, into the night and tomorrow morning. High 35 low 25
Tomorrow: Snow in the morning, High 30 low 5
Game Day: High 28 low 11, 20% chance of snow, partly cloudy.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2010, 09:56 AM
A weather update for the game.
Today: Suppose to snow this afternoon, into the night and tomorrow morning. High 35 low 25
Tomorrow: Snow in the morning, High 30 low 5
Game Day: High 28 low 11, 20% chance of snow, partly cloudy.

I wish it was that nice here in Fargo xsmiley_wix

GtFllsGriz
December 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
The Cat/Bison matchup is a great one. It should be fun to watch. I have a lot of respect for the Bison and wish they were in the BSC.

Good luck Cats! It sucks not being in the playoffs but this in an opportunity for the BSC to show that they are more then a one team conference. What would the championship game be without a Montana team in it? That is just wrong.

Walkon79
December 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
The Cat/Bison matchup is a great one. It should be fun to watch. I have a lot of respect for the Bison and wish they were in the BSC.

Good luck Cats! It sucks not being in the playoffs but this in an opportunity for the BSC to show that they are more then a one team conference. What would the championship game be without a Montana team in it? That is just wrong.

I just wish you guys were playing in the other bracket, with the opportunity to maybe..........

Cat/Griz 2 would be the ultimate. I hope it happens some day, and now that we're on the rise I think the chance is there. I know the Griz program will stay prominent for years to come, and I think we can to.

Gil Dobie
December 3rd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Bison viewing parties around the country. Bobcat fans are also welcome. If I don't watch on ESPN3, I'll be at the Senser's viewing party.

Fargo Forum (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/300433/group/Sports/)

Minneapolis, MN (1:05 p.m. CST kickoff)

Joe Senser’s Roseville

2350 Cleveland Avenue North

Roseville, MN 55113-2701

657-631-1781

www.sensers.com

wapiti
December 3rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Quick weather update.
Friday morning. There is about 8 to 10 inches of fresh snow on the ground this morning. On top of the 6 inches that was already on the ground. and it is still snowing.
Suppose to be 6 above tonight.

http://cateye.msu.montana.edu/

bisonguy
December 3rd, 2010, 02:25 PM
Quick weather update.
Friday morning. There is about 8 to 10 inches of fresh snow on the ground this morning. On top of the 6 inches that was already on the ground. and it is still snowing.
Suppose to be 6 above tonight.

http://cateye.msu.montana.edu/

No worries about the snow. We already dispatched one of North Dakota's top snow melting teams:

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i470/torby9/lol.jpg

mtjack
December 3rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
Bisonguy - Your picture of the first cross-border skirmish of yours with the state of Montana made me laugh. I've lived in Fargo and two Montana towns. My mom's a native ND'an. My dad's a native MT'an. I guess I don't really have a dog in the fight but I do find myself rooting for other Big Sky teams and North Dakota teams as long as they're not playing my alma mater. That being said, I have heard so much bullshizzle from my dad's relatives bagging on North Dakota over the years that I just may root for NDSU to win this coming Saturday. I'm sending a copy of your picture to my cousin in Helena, MT immediately. Save travels. Bozeman is a fun college town. A few good bars. Dave's Sushi downtown is tasty. Skiing, hiking, fishing, mountain biking, etc. are all top notch when the weather allows. Some of the wine-and-cheese crowd can be annoying but they tend to hit the road for more tropical climates when winter comes howling. I've been to basketball and football games in Bozeman as an NAU fan and the fans I crossed paths with at their tailgates were welcoming/friendly.

Squealofthepig
December 3rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
I wish it was that nice here in Fargo xsmiley_wix

Hey, the Cats would love it - we had windchills approaching -40 when the Cats beat the Griz at Wa Griz, and pretty much everyone on both sides was sleeveless. This weather will be positively balmy for the Cats. Should be a good one!

Tod
December 3rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hey, the Cats would love it - we had windchills approaching -40 when the Cats beat the Griz at Wa Griz, and pretty much everyone on both sides was sleeveless. This weather will be positively balmy for the Cats. Should be a good one!

Man, that's not true. I had on long-johns, winter boots, a t-shirt and a sweatshirt, an Arctic parka, mittens and a scarf. Two pairs of socks, too. We sat on a blanket and had one across our laps. I saw NOBODY in short sleeves.

Squealofthepig
December 3rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
Man, that's not true. I had on long-johns, winter boots, a t-shirt and a sweatshirt, an Arctic parka, mittens and a scarf. Two pairs of socks, too. We sat on a blanket and had one across our laps. I saw NOBODY in short sleeves.

Oh, me too, was up on Sentinel in about eight layers. Everyone on both sides of the ball, that is. :) Fans of both teams seemed to have a bit less cavalier attitude towards the weather than their players.

Tod
December 3rd, 2010, 11:38 PM
Oh, me too, was up on Sentinel in about eight layers. Everyone on both sides of the ball, that is. :) Fans of both teams seemed to have a bit less cavalier attitude towards the weather than their players.

I'm embarrassed. I totally missed your point. My bad.

JBB
December 4th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I have relatives in Montana and lived in Cheatau siesmographing "The Bob".

Nothing but respect for Montana and the BSC. This isnt the first rodeo between MSU and NDSU. NDSU has a long history with the BSC but we are a school firmly rooted in the Heartland of this great country. We have a home here but UND didnt and God Bless they found a spot with the BSC out west somewhere.

Too bad not everyone in North Dakota is showing the pride. Many of our friends to the north are not onboard with The BISON as they invade the Big Sky stronghold in Bozeman. Its been a tough decade for the folks from Grand Forks and now this: NDSU is the big news in the Big Sky, North Dakota and the nation.

There is a strong contingency of BISON fans in Bozeman right now raising the flag for The Dakota Territory Collegiate Football Champions, The NDSU BISON.

I have predicted a BISON win.

ON TO VICTORY!!!! GO HERD!!!!!

darell1976
December 4th, 2010, 08:28 AM
GO MONTANA STATE!!!!!!!!! GO BIG SKY CONFERENCE!!!!!!!

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 08:31 AM
GO MONTANA STATE!!!!!!!!! GO BIG SKY CONFERENCE!!!!!!!

........and take UND with you ;)

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2010, 09:08 AM

You sure about that? I know cold wind chills and to get that cold you either have to have hurricane force winds or air temperatures between -10 and -20. Anyone in short sleeves in that weather would be hypothermic by the end of a football game.

onbison09
December 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Both D's holding tough

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Montana St passing has been the best offense so far for either team.

onbison09
December 4th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Bison moving the ball

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Finish the drive now

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I can dig it, TD Jensen

onbison09
December 4th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Badass power drive by the Herd 7-0 Bison

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Watching live on my sisters big screen in Grand Forks. Came up for my Dad's surgery. Not enough room for everyone to watch in his hospital room. Surgery went good, so he's in recovery.

DJKyR0
December 4th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I love those 49-7, 21-point victories predicted for MSU. Bison looking good.

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Bison get the first turnover :)

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Hope Jensen isn't hurt :(

onbison09
December 4th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hope Jensen isn't hurt :(

That was a hell of a hit. Clean though.

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 01:58 PM
That was a hell of a hit. Clean though.

Momentum changing hit, missed FG :(

onbison09
December 4th, 2010, 01:59 PM
It would be nice to have a decent kicker.

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 02:00 PM
It would be nice to have a decent kicker.

Kicks a 51 yarder last week, misses this one today :(

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Williams burned on 2 straight plays. TD Bobcats

trouthunter
December 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM
What a good game, evenly matched. But these ESPN announcers are COMPLETE IDIOTS!

onbison09
December 4th, 2010, 02:33 PM
What a good game--looks to be the most evenly matched in the FCS today. But these ESPN announcers are COMPLETE IDIOTS!

Take a knee and give them 5 seconds! Morons.

profisme
December 4th, 2010, 02:34 PM
What a good game--looks to be the most evenly matched in the FCS today. But these ESPN announcers are COMPLETE IDIOTS!

Agreed. These announcers are simply awful.

"Doesn't matter of you are Ohio State, Michigan, North Dakota State, or Montana State." Who is this guy?

onbison09
December 4th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Agreed. These announcers are simply awful.

"Doesn't matter of you are Ohio State, Michigan, North Dakota State, or Montana State." Who is this guy?

As an NDSU fan I would rather they had the Montana State homers.

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Bison homers radio link. Delayed though.

Radio Link (http://www.business1570.com/)

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Bobcat Int, stops Bison drive :(

DJKyR0
December 4th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Bison defense playing awesome, Bison offense less so. Let's do this.

onbison09
December 4th, 2010, 02:55 PM
As an NDSU fan I would rather they had the Montana State homers.

Curious if they'll take the penalty. No I'm sure they want 4th and 3 instead

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Sigers is having a nice game :)

Aho_Old_Guy
December 4th, 2010, 02:59 PM
W&M better hit that high gear or the fat lady will be tuning up.

edit: Oops.

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM
TD McNorton (Thunder), with help on the drive from Lightening (Sigers) :)

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Bobcats driving, McGhee is a one man team.

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 03:15 PM
FG Bobcats

NDSU 14, MSU 10

DJKyR0
December 4th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Bison will continue to rely on the run game, MSU hasn't been able to slow us down yet and Sigers is providing one heck of a spark. Keep it rolling and we can walk out of Bozeman with the W!

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Bobcats on the move again

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM
TD Montana St, up 17-14

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Nice run by Jose :)

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 03:35 PM
TD McNorton, NDSU 21, MSU 17

Houndawg
December 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM

Score first

So far so good

onbison09
December 4th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Bison defense is amazing and the offense is showing up today

Aho_Old_Guy
December 4th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Nice punt.

(sarcasm)

Go Bison
December 4th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Pretty close but the Bison missed a 26 yard FG and that really hurt. Plus their 1st QB is out of the game. Good game so far though.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 4th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Just when I want to believe in NDSU, they run that stoopid play on 3rd n 2

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Just when I want to believe in NDSU, they run that stoopid play on 3rd n 2

Story of our season. ;)

dwtime
December 4th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Wow is it cold up in Montana or what?

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Defense comes up big again, recovers fumble

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Around 20 degrees above zero

dwtime
December 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM

Ooops my bad, balmy! LOL

dwtime
December 4th, 2010, 03:55 PM

You know you are in a cold part of the country when you quote the temperature as above or below zero.

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 03:59 PM
You know you are in a cold part of the country when you quote the temperature as above or below zero.

Yes it is, looking a -7 tonight in Grand Forks, where I am today.

dwtime
December 4th, 2010, 03:59 PM
MSU back against the wall here, starting QB out bad punt and less than 6 min to play

Aho_Old_Guy
December 4th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Nice punt II.

(more sarcasm)

Great run defense, too

Gil Dobie
TD McNorton, NDSU 28, MSU 17

Go Bison
28-17 Bison! Great run by DJ McNorton! Time for the D to put this game away.

dwtime
December 4th, 2010, 04:01 PM
MSU has to score quick or game over

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Scary return by the Bobcats

dwtime
December 4th, 2010, 04:03 PM
wow!

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Williams probably feels like he should have stayed in bed, not his day with a missed tackle for a first down.

dwtime
December 4th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Nice win for NDSU

Drblankstare
December 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM
mcnorton. yes

wapiti
December 4th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Congratulations to NDSU. A Great defense won this game.

The game was closer than what the score shows.

Gil Dobie
35-17 Bison

ATX_EWUGrad
and that ices the game for NDSU....next week should be interesting.

Tod
December 4th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I'm hugely disappointed, but still, congrats to NDSU. Now, if EWU can just pull out their game, down 14-7.

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Williams gets a pick, after a tough day. Something positive to take home.

I hear the "Lets Go Bison" cheers in the backgroud.

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I'm hugely disappointed, but still, congrats to NDSU. Now, if EWU can just pull out their game, down 14-7.

Would be nice to get another home game in the Fargodome.

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2010, 04:13 PM
TD Sigers NDSU 42-17

DJKyR0
December 4th, 2010, 04:15 PM
dsSo we walk into Bozeman and beat the hell out of an MSU team that is undefeated at home, make their QB look like a freshman, and do it all with nothing at QB. Glad to see you're happy with the Big Sky, Sioux fans. Bison averaging 42.5 PPG in the playoffs....wow. This says a ton about the quality of the MVFC that we're just exploding all over everybody. Gotta love the 20-point loss predictions from earlier in this thread. Enjoy the crow haters.

Let's go SEMO! Bison home playoff game?!

Obzerver
December 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM
EWU will be waiting for you in Cheney...

Go Bison
December 4th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Is the EWU game on the tv somewhere? Or online.

swaghook
Great win for the Bison!!! Hope Jenson is not out for long.

number1debater
Have you ever seen a team quit like msu? Wow!

ATX_EWUGrad
December 4th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Ob, I'm confident as much as anyone, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We're tied 17-17 at the half and Mitchell is playing like dog crap right now.

onbison09
December 4th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Yes it is, looking a -7 tonight in Grand Forks, where I am today.

Man that sucks.

ATX_EWUGrad
December 4th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Is the EWU game on the tv somewhere? Or online.

http://www.ncaa.com/allaccess/?media=215166

furpal87
December 4th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Yes, but with that result thew warmth inside you shall keep you warmxthumbsupx

Obzerver
December 4th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Ob, I'm confident as much as anyone, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We're tied 17-17 at the half and Mitchell is playing like dog crap right now.

Didn't say we would win, just said we will be waiting for them...

Houndawg
December 4th, 2010, 04:56 PM
So far so goodxthumbsupx

Houndawg
December 4th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Score first

Like the Dr. ordered.

And EWU tied at the half? Big Sky is way down this year!

Twentysix
December 4th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Congratulations to NDSU. A Great defense won this game.

The game was closer than what the score shows.

Ndsu had 370 rushing yards. ++++ Dj had 207.

100%GRIZ
December 4th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Poor Bobcats - Sorry Couldn't resist!

danefan
December 4th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Maybe the NEC's first playoff appearance wasn't as bad as I originally thought?

Houndawg
December 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Bison are picking up the big mo and the worse the weather gets the tougher they'll be. EWU better be focused this week.

Twentysix
December 4th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Maybe the NEC's first playoff appearance wasn't as bad as I originally thought?

If FCS played 30 minutes of football, its very possible RMU would beat MSU. NEC just cant keep it up through a whole game :)

danefan
December 4th, 2010, 06:31 PM
If FCS played 30 minutes of football, its very possible RMU would beat MSU. NEC just cant keep it up through a whole game :)

Yup - scholarship depth was the dfiference against NDSU. RMU fell apart late and didn't have the energy to recover.

SDSUJacks
December 4th, 2010, 07:00 PM
As much as it pains me to say, I have to hand it to NDSU. They have been on a roll and have played excellent in the 2nd half. As the MVFC's last hope I wish you well.

clawman
December 4th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Not thin skinned, they tried to run smart clock run down plays, hoping to keep the Griz D off balance and Let our D take over the game, Did we need to score the 2nd half, NO we still came away with the win. What excuse are you using in the 30-7 loss to us? TJ got shut down and hurt our D didnt let you score. They are now healthy again. I dont see a let down by us, the boys are more focued than ever. A bye week after a big win is huge.

I do expect a good game for the first half, then I expect the cats to take over. And if the EWU wins I will see you in Bozeman in a real stadium with out Rag red turf.
But that is my upset pick, EWU 1 and done.

To all the Bison fans coming to Bozeman, Welcome. enjoy your stay and stop by the tail gates. Hope to see lots of you. and good luck.

Apparently the Cats D neglected to take over the game this weekend, and the offense must have been waiting on the defense.
FYI, things went well on the"red rag".

Justin Observation
December 4th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Congratulations NDSU. Take it to EWU.

mtbigdog
December 4th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I was rooting for the Cats,but in typical fashion they choked in the second half. Congrats NDSU

GreatAppSt
December 4th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Congrats Bison!!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 4th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I think NDSU is pretty darn good. I've kept track of them all season after they beat Kansas. The whole Temple, MAC, Buffalo, Turner Gill first game deal made me take notice when the Bison won. Any time you can play great defense week in and week out you got a chance. NDSU wins this game imo.

Like i said.....

TheBisonator
December 4th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Like i said.....

Good call.xthumbsupx

JSUBison
December 5th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Congratulations NDSU. Take it to EWU.

You and other RMU fans might find this interesting:

“We took a chunk out of Robert Morris’ playbook and it worked out perfect for us,” Mohler said.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/300696/

MplsBison
December 5th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Yup - scholarship depth was the dfiference against NDSU. RMU fell apart late and didn't have the energy to recover.

As I recall, RMU had 11 starters on offense and 11 on defense that played most of the game. I know RMU has more than 22 scholarships, so they have plenty of money.

I think what you mean is that it came down to the different in talent.

swaghook
December 5th, 2010, 11:51 AM
You and other RMU fans might find this interesting:

“We took a chunk out of Robert Morris’ playbook and it worked out perfect for us,” Mohler said.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/300696/ From the same article. Looks like they used 1 play from the RMU playbook. Gotta say it was effective wih MT St keying on the RBs.

"NDSU took a play that RMU was successful with against the Bison and used it to perfection against Montana State. Facing a deficit for the first time all game, at 21-17 early in the fourth quarter, quarterback Jose Mohler ran 41 yards on third-and-3 to the Bobcat 19-yard line."

srgrizizen
December 5th, 2010, 12:58 PM
dsSo we walk into Bozeman and beat the hell out of an MSU team that is undefeated at home, make their QB look like a freshman, and do it all with nothing at QB. Glad to see you're happy with the Big Sky, Sioux fans. Bison averaging 42.5 PPG in the playoffs....wow. This says a ton about the quality of the MVFC that we're just exploding all over everybody. Gotta love the 20-point loss predictions from earlier in this thread. Enjoy the crow haters.

Let's go SEMO! Bison home playoff game?!

Congrats on the win. Obviously, MSU didn't match up well against your offensive line. But I'd say two out of three teams gettings clobbered in their first game says as much about the MVFC as your success. One good team and a bunch of creampuffs? Sounds like what we've heard about the BSC for 17 years. Go EWU.

danefan
December 5th, 2010, 01:57 PM
As I recall, RMU had 11 starters on offense and 11 on defense that played most of the game. I know RMU has more than 22 scholarships, so they have plenty of money.

I think what you mean is that it came down to the different in talent.

Depth = talent level beyond your starters.

Less scholarships generally means you have less talent on your bench.

I think we're saying the same thing, but for some reason you appear to be disagreeing with me.

NDB
December 5th, 2010, 04:04 PM

I think we're saying the same thing, but for some reason you appear to be disagreeing with me.

obviously, this is your first engagement with mpls.

MplsBison
December 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM

I agree Robert Morris had less talent on their bench.

A) say that
B) but again...you can only play with 11 guys at a time. What good does it do you to have 60+ all-americans watching the game on the sideline? The only way it would have an impact is if you had many injuries to starters in the same game. If that happens...well, that sucks. But you shouldn't be planning for that to happen. Sometimes you just get unlucky and you have to live with that.

I know some fans like to claim that their teams roll like 5 different sets of guys, like they were lines in hockey. But I don't really buy this philosophy as any sort of significant advantage. The way the game of football is built, a guy can go hard for a full game. You're not running around for 60 minutes continuously. There are many, many different breaks in the action. Play to play, quarter to quarter and half to half.

danefan
December 5th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I agree Robert Morris had less talent on their bench.

A) say that
B) but again...you can only play with 11 guys at a time. What good does it do you to have 60+ all-americans watching the game on the sideline? The only way it would have an impact is if you had many injuries to starters in the same game. If that happens...well, that sucks. But you shouldn't be planning for that to happen. Sometimes you just get unlucky and you have to live with that.

I know some fans like to claim that their teams roll like 5 different sets of guys, like they were lines in hockey. But I don't really buy this philosophy as any sort of significant advantage. The way the game of football is built, a guy can go hard for a full game. You're not running around for 60 minutes continuously. There are many, many different breaks in the action. Play to play, quarter to quarter and half to half.

Honest question. Did you play college football? Or any level of football?

MplsBison
December 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM

My point was that if Robert Morris' staring 11 on both sides of the ball had the same or greater talent than NDSU's starting 11 on both sides, there would be no legitimate reason why those 22 men could not win the game for RMU.

I contend that their 22 men were simply not talented enough to beat NDSU's 22. They did have a few very talented players (the QB, the RB, a WR, a LB, etc.) that could probably play at a big time FCS program, but the rest weren't at that level.

I don't really see what else there is to say about it.

No_Skill
December 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM

Does Techmo Bowl count?

danefan
December 5th, 2010, 06:33 PM
My point was that if Robert Morris' staring 11 on both sides of the ball had the same or greater talent than NDSU's starting 11 on both sides, there would be no legitimate reason why those 22 men could not win the game for RMU.

I contend that their 22 men were simply not talented enough to beat NDSU's 22. They did have a few very talented players (the QB, the RB, a WR, a LB, etc.) that could probably play at a big time FCS program, but the rest weren't at that level.

I don't really see what else there is to say about it.

I'll just say this once and be done with it:

40 top quality guys will beat 22 top quality guys 8 out of 10 times. Pretty simple to understand and that's the "depth" people are talking about when they talk about the difference between FBS and FCS (60+ vs 40) and Full Scholly FCS vs. Limited Scholly FCS (40+ vs. 25).

MplsBison
December 5th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I'll just say this once and be done with it:

40 top quality guys will beat 22 top quality guys 8 out of 10 times. Pretty simple to understand and that's the "depth" people are talking about when they talk about the difference between FBS and FCS (60+ vs 40) and Full Scholly FCS vs. Limited Scholly FCS (40+ vs. 25).

Even 40 is over selling it. This is enough IMO:

5 OL
1 QB
2 RBs
3 "Big Skill" guys (FB, H-back, TE)
3 WR

14 Offense

5 DL
5 LB
5 DB

15 Defense

29 total.

In other words, if you have 29 top level talent guys in the numbers above, that should be all you ever need to win a football game assuming none will miss playing time to injury. Obviously guys will get hurt during the season, but you really shouldn't plan for that to happen. Not more than a few guys, anyway.

I still hold that 22 men with enough heart and health is enough to win on a given Saturday in the FCS playoffs.

So maybe I'm not 100% correct, but I am still mostly correct that it was RMU's lack of starting talent that was their ultimate downfall. Not the "depth", as you put it.

I know you're trying to fight for the NEC, but I think the fact that you'll have to admit to is that you don't have as much talent in your starting rosters as other leagues. Your best players are as good as anyone, but you don't have enough on them even when just talking about the starters (again, not hte "depth").

Go_Herd
December 5th, 2010, 09:44 PM
one of these:

Go_Herd
December 5th, 2010, 09:56 PM
OR:

Hammerhead
December 5th, 2010, 10:08 PM
It was cold although it could have been worse. It was below zero in Butte when we drove through there on the way to the game and on our return trip.