PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern @ #2 William and Mary thread

Pages : [1] 2

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 27th, 2010, 04:08 PM
GSU beats South Carolina State 41-16 to advance into the first round. Hopefully Jaybo Shaw and Robert Brown will be back. This is going to be a good one, folks.
xnodx

gasoutherneagle
November 27th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Without Shaw... gonna be tough. If he's good enough to play, we win.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Without Shaw... gonna be tough. If he's good enough to play, we win.

#1 Villanova and #2 Delaware had the same ambitions when they rolled into Zable Stadium. And W&M's Defense is playing even better now. Will be tough, no doubt.

blukeys
November 27th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Anybody who thinks Jimmy L did not run a few practices with the Defense working on assignment football in anticipation of meeting up with the TO just doesn't know the guy. GSU will not have the offensive field day on Saturday they had today.

gasoutherneagle
November 27th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Truly spoken by someone who saw the score on ESPN... D won that game.

blukeys
November 27th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Truly spoken by someone who saw the score on ESPN... D won that game.

Saw from the 3rd quaarter on on NCAA access. Let me add W&M won't make the same bonehead mistakes SCSU did.

Reign of Terrier
November 27th, 2010, 05:33 PM
This one will be low scoring. If any team scores 30 they win. Sadly I don't think that will happen. My head says this is somewhat of a toss-up with W&M being favored. The Socon homer in me says GSU 24 W&M 17

theasushow
November 27th, 2010, 05:43 PM
gonna be a great game, I give W&M the slight edge due to SOS and having the home field. I hope I'm wrong, I need these CAA teams to fall before making it to Frisco hahaha.

UncleSam
November 27th, 2010, 06:04 PM
W&M is a very tough team to run on and unless GSU is able to hit some big plays I expect that they will not have too much success driving the ball on the W&M defense. W&M offense will score enough on GSU and without big plays and/or turnovers GSU isn't going to win this game.

theasushow
November 27th, 2010, 06:15 PM
W&M is a very tough team to run on and unless GSU is able to hit some big plays I expect that they will not have too much success driving the ball on the W&M defense. W&M offense will score enough on GSU and without big plays and/or turnovers GSU isn't going to win this game.

hmmm, W&M fans have expressed concern about being able to stop the triple option. I can remember a couple posts stating W&M may be vulnerable to it.

HowardBud
November 27th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Slight Edge? Go take a look at what the Tribe's defense has actually done this year. One bad game against JMU is about the only outing that was poor, and otherwise they simply shut several good offenses down - so my guess is that W&M is a big favorite, and GSU is going to need to show some real trickery to keep it close.

theasushow
November 27th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Slight Edge? Go take a look at what the Tribe's defense has actually done this year. One bad game against JMU is about the only outing that was poor, and otherwise they simply shut several good offenses down - so my guess is that W&M is a big favorite, and GSU is going to need to show some real trickery to keep it close.

well the triple option is trickery.....

HowardBud
November 27th, 2010, 06:18 PM
some concern, but that was basically against JMU showing up with a surprise wildcat scheme and the defense not making the plays. They have a week of rest, they are much more healthy than then, they are going to be prepared, and I can not see GSU having a whole lot of success - so I do not see the Tribe getting beat - so, 2 more home games at Zable!

theasushow
November 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM
some concern, but that was basically against JMU showing up with a surprise wildcat scheme and the defense not making the plays. They have a week of rest, they are much more healthy than then, they are going to be prepared, and I can not see GSU having a whole lot of success - so I do not see the Tribe getting beat - so, 2 more home games at Zable!

i dont foresee gsu winning....but why only 2 more home games? you anticipate a loss in the quarterfinals?

Wildcat80
November 27th, 2010, 06:33 PM
gonna be a great game, I give W&M the slight edge due to SOS and having the home field. I hope I'm wrong, I need these CAA teams to fall before making it to Frisco hahaha.

Hope you take bill&mary down.....head coach getting a lil cocky...

HowardBud
November 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
not anticipating a loss in the quarters, simply not willing to count on that yet until we can see who the opponent is - and actually, I should just say that I am confident the Tribe will be ready for the TO - Laycock and Shoop are just too much the pro's not to be ready for that - so...

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 27th, 2010, 06:43 PM
If Jaybo is back and healthy...I think we will win it. There is a difference between stopping the run in offenses you see all over the place and stopping the option. SCSU had the number 1 defense in the FCS and thought they'd slow us down, too.

GaSouthern
November 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM
W&M should run away with this, GSU's lone hope is that the Defense can score and keep us in the game.

Jaybo is probably out for the game next week and our offense sputters with out him.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 06:48 PM
hmmm, W&M fans have expressed concern about being able to stop the triple option. I can remember a couple posts stating W&M may be vulnerable to it.

That was after the JMU loss slash debacle. But with the starters healthy and 2 weeks to prepare, and homefield, this should be much different.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Laycock could never be accused of being cocky. Not even close.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 06:52 PM
If Jaybo is back and healthy...I think we will win it. There is a difference between stopping the run in offenses you see all over the place and stopping the option. SCSU had the number 1 defense in the FCS and thought they'd slow us down, too.

They did stop it, for the most part. It was mistakes on offense and special teams that lost that game for SC State.

SouthernMan
November 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
They did stop it, for the most part. It was mistakes on offense and special teams that lost that game for SC State.
uut (
Bwahhaahahahhaahhaha...saaaayyethh a guy who obviously did not see the game. YES let us ALL BOW DOWN cause the CAA IS THAT FREAKING GOOD. SCST stopped us after Jaybo went out (toSCST fans delight) then they caught a beatdown from our D....whats your O famous for, running the ball? And we are not afraid to give this beatdown on the road.

UncleSam
November 27th, 2010, 07:08 PM
SCSU ain't W&M, as GSU will soon discover.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM
uut (
Bwahhaahahahhaahhaha...saaaayyethh a guy who obviously did not see the game. YES let us ALL BOW DOWN cause the CAA IS THAT FREAKING GOOD. SCST stopped us after Jaybo went out (toSCST fans delight) then they caught a beatdown from our D....whats your O famous for, running the ball? And we are not afraid to give this beatdown on the road.

Saw the whole game. SC State made a bunch of costly mistakes. Did you miss the 2 safeties on kickoffs? Or the interceptions? Or the handoff to the GA Southern defensive lineman? Their defense played the triple option pretty well. Not sure what you're so angry about, your team won.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM

323 yards rushing isn't all that bad. And not bad considering without Jaybo the passing game was nonexistant.

SCSU ain't W&M, as GSU will soon discover.

Don't think anyone expects us to run W&M off the field the way we did SCSU.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 07:19 PM
This is going to be a good game. GSU is a classic program and will get much respect in Williamsburg. I'm sure coach Laycock considers this the toughest game of the year so far, and it may well be.

Tribe4SF
November 27th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Where did you come up with that?

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=FCS_pwns_FBS;1590471]323 yards rushing isn't all that bad. And not bad considering without Jaybo the passing game was nonexistant.

They had 77 rushing attempts... yes, that's NOT a typo.

Tribe4SF
November 27th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Have only watched half the NDSU/RMU game, but so far GSU is the best team I've watched today. They play fast, and they play hard. Solid defense...good special teams (sans the KO return), and they run the TO efficiently and get to the point of attack right now. A big test for the Tribe.

UncleSam
November 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I'm sure coach Laycock considers this the toughest game of the year so far, and it may well be.

GSU the toughest game of the year??? Please you are starting to sound like Lou Holtz.

MacThor
November 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Laycock could never be accused of being cocky. Not even close.

Have you read the $#!+ he's been spewing in the papers the past week?

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM
uut (

GSU had only 1 offensive TD until the 4th quarter, and got 2 in the 4th after turnovers deep in SC State territory. I'm guessing GSU fans are hoping for a much better offensive game next week. Congrats on the win.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 07:31 PM

The only thing he has said after the Richmond game was that they played very well on offense, defense and special teams. How can you disagree after 600+ yards of offense, and winning 41-3. He is the most humble and respectful coach I have ever seen. Alot of that could be the papers. Also, I'm sure Richmond fans are not happy about the loss. But you can't blame Laycock. He's 100% class.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
GSU the toughest game of the year??? Please you are starting to sound like Lou Holtz.

Speaking from Laycock's perspective. He never looks past anyone.

theasushow
November 27th, 2010, 07:33 PM
JER-RY! JER-RY! JER-RY!

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
What happens if Shaw is out next week, and W&M is effective against the option. Can GSU throw the ball if they have to?

AtlantaMountaineer
November 27th, 2010, 07:40 PM
According to the ncaa.com announcers today, I thought it was Georgia State who was beating SC State. ;-)

theasushow
November 27th, 2010, 07:44 PM
According to the ncaa.com announcers today, I thought it was Georgia State who was beating SC State. ;-)

apparently after one play it was nc state playing georgia southern.

Tribe4SF
November 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM

No. How about a link?

charliej
November 27th, 2010, 08:02 PM

On paper.... against MEAC opponents.

Tribe07
November 27th, 2010, 08:02 PM

What are you talking about? I don't think Laycock has ever spewed $#% in his life, and certainly not this week.

SideLine Shooter
November 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM
GSU - 38
W&M - 21

MacThor
November 27th, 2010, 08:08 PM
What are you talking about? I don't think Laycock has ever spewed $#% in his life, and certainly not this week.

"Yeah, we only had 616 yards," Laycock interjected. "We probably could have done a few things a little bit better. "

That's one.

"The fact we're co-champions -- we can put that banner up, we can put that sign up, and we can wear that ring," William and Mary coach Jimmye Laycock said. "And I promise you we'll do all three."

Oooooooooh, really? Was anyone suggesting you couldn't or wouldn't?

GaSouthern
November 27th, 2010, 08:09 PM
What happens if Shaw is out next week, and W&M is effective against the option. Can GSU throw the ball if they have to?

The backup was a passing QB in highschool out of the shotgun, a lot of his problems that he is having running this offense is because he is still so new to it.

He has a great arm when comfortable but has not shown he can be consistant yet.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM
That's one.

The comment about the 616 yards he was being sarcastic, after QB Mike Callahan said he could have been better. And the one about the banner was just a matter of fact statement. Not cocky. Go to www.tribeathletics.com and you can watch the press conference yourself and see first-hand.

Honestly, I thought the thing about the banner was kind of goofy, but not cocky. I think he was just expressing pride at winning the CAA.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I'm rooting for GSU in this one. I really don't look forward to seeing either team in a potential semifinal matchup, but if GSU makes it through the game would be in Newark instead of Williamsburg.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2010, 08:19 PM
This is going to be a good game. GSU is a classic program and will get much respect in Williamsburg. I'm sure coach Laycock considers this the toughest game of the year so far, and it may well be.

dont confuse most important with toughest

GATA
November 27th, 2010, 08:23 PM
If Jaybo Shaw plays: it will be a close game...who wins is anybody's guess.

Without Shaw: William & Mary will probably win by 14 or more.

Jerick Mckinnon isn't ready to be a starting QB yet. We played like crap on offense today and the fact is most of our fans are too stupid to realize it. They're getting caught up in the final score as if we dominated SC State. Our DEFENSE completely bailed out a ****ty offensive performance.

GaSouthern
November 27th, 2010, 08:25 PM
GSU - 38
W&M - 21

Gemmie somma whacha smokin

Tribe07
November 27th, 2010, 08:38 PM
That's one.

Wow, talk about taken out of context. He made the statement about 616 yards to interrupt Mike Callahan when he said, "we were really shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties, I had that one where I threw the ball over the line, and we had to settle for a few field goals." He was saying Callahan should stop with the self-degradation, because he played great, as evidenced by 616 yards of offense.

The part about putting up that banner and sign and wearing the ring was in response to a question about what this win means to the team. He said it means we get the auto-qualifier, and are CAA co-champions. He was expressing pride at that... were you proud of your CAA title last year?

ITEagle
November 27th, 2010, 08:57 PM
looking forward to this game. see you guys at the game! will be my first trip up there, so any suggestions for food or entertainment would be appreciated!

xthumbsupx

GreatAppSt
November 27th, 2010, 09:08 PM
looking forward to this game. see you guys at the game! will be my first trip up there, so any suggestions for food or entertainment would be appreciated!

xthumbsupxIf you can't find food, entertainment, hotel to sleep in when you get to Williamsburg, you need to stay at home the rest of your life.xsmiley_wix

ITEagle
November 27th, 2010, 09:11 PM
haha i am sure i can find something! just never been up there before! been all over the world with my job, just never to williamsburg!

GreatAppSt
November 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
haha i am sure i can find something! just never been up there before! been all over the world with my job, just never to williamsburg!you can't spit any direction E,W,N,S in Wburg without hitting a eatery or hotel. BTW when you there try some pancakes.

ITEagle
November 27th, 2010, 09:19 PM
you can't spit any direction E,W,N,S in Wburg without hitting a eatery or hotel. BTW when you there try some pancakes.

really? any suggestions on location for said pancakes?

Eaglegus2
November 27th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Can someone tell me how far ByPass rd. (Sleep Inn) is from Zable Stadium? I know there are great places to eat but I like recommendations from those who live there. They know the places with the best food.

Should Georgia Southern's offense play the way they played today? The most excitement we will have is those recommendations for eating locally.

Our defense really played well and they saved the day. William & Mary is for real. They have a great coach with great players that play in the toughest conference in FCS. I just hope the Eagles can make it competitive and not get embarassed.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2010, 09:44 PM
GSU fans, your playing a very solid football team next Saturday and if you beat em wont be many Hens fans shedding any tears for William and Mary.... but they will most likely put a wompin on you

GATA
November 27th, 2010, 09:48 PM
GSU fans, your playing a very solid football team next Saturday and if you beat em wont be many Hens fans shedding any tears for William and Mary.... but they will most likely put a wompin on you

...ok.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Not sure if App State will be shedding any tears if W&M knocks GSU out of the playoffs either... ;)

GSUwinsagain
November 27th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I expect this to be a very hard fought game that I hope we can win.
I hope Jaybo can play, but you have to play with what you've got. IF he is healthy, I like our chances. You guys have a great defensive numbers, but our scheme is very hard to duplicate in practice.

ThompsonThe
November 27th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Even though 75% of the GaSo fans have rooted against us, App State, in the playoffs, I will be rooting for them. They are true football fans and SoCon members. Have missed having them in the playoffs for the last few years. No offense, but tired of hearing about how the CAA can walk on water. Want to see the CAA at least up to their knees, if not their necks in water.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 27th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Even though 75% of the GaSo fans have rooted against us, App State, in the playoffs, I will be rooting for them. They are true football fans and SoCon members. Have missed having them in the playoffs for the last few years. No offense, but tired of hearing about how the CAA can walk on water. Want to see the CAA at least up to their knees, if not their necks in water.

Are you kidding? It would be f&*$ing awesome to have a GSU-ASU rematch in Frisco (though I would prefer Chatty, of course).

Plus, you guys had better not lose in the first round when you have the #1 seed. Makes the conference look bad.

GoneTribal
November 27th, 2010, 10:17 PM
...ok.

I'm sure you won't have so much to say after next week. hahaha

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 10:17 PM

Here's a stat, since 1998, CAA teams that have won the championship: Villanova, Richmond, JMU, Delaware, Massachusetts. That's 5 different teams in 12 years. It would seem it's W&M's turn ;) PS, App State, you've had your share ;)

ThompsonThe
November 27th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Here's a stat, since 1998, CAA teams that have won the championship: Villanova, Richmond, JMU, Delaware, Massachusetts. That's 5 different teams in 12 years. It would seem it's W&M's turn ;) PS, App State, you've had your share ;)

We, as well as GaSo obviously, are greedy when it comes to something like a NC. I believe that GaSo fans would agree that you really shouldn't get a share while we are around.
Seriously, looks like The Tribe has another good team this year. Could of been you guys last year, and almost was in the semi-finals against Nova. Good luck injury wise, but got to root for GaSo this Saturday, believe me they have gone through enough Hell the past several years having Sam Baker that we should just award the trophy to them. Nothing that The Tribe can throw at them will be worse than what they have endured.

GaSouthern
November 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM

Trust me, GSU fans would love to see Woffy at home in 2 weeks and see ASU in Frisco if we were able to upset W&M

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 10:32 PM
We, as well as GaSo obviously, are greedy when it comes to something like a NC. I believe that GaSo fans would agree that you really shouldn't get a share while we are around.
Seriously, looks like The Tribe has another good team this year. Could of been you guys last year, and almost was in the semi-finals against Nova. Good luck injury wise, but got to root for GaSo this Saturday, believe me they have gone through enough Hell the past several years having Sam Baker that we should just award the trophy to them. Nothing that The Tribe can throw at them will be worse than what they have endured.

You're right, semi's @ Villanova last year... we had that game and let it slip away. And semi's with JMU @ W&M in 2004. So close...

VUCats02
November 27th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Nice little CAA vs SoCon throwdown here!

W&M's defense will just be too tough in this game.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 10:34 PM

Need to update your sig

GaSouthern
November 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM

Better than the #1 defense in the nation in SCSU?!?!?!?!?!?! That can't be!

I'm kidding, I know they play in a horrible conference.

GSU1-A
November 27th, 2010, 10:48 PM

Here's another stat:

Georgia Southern 6 NC 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1999, 2000
Youngstown State 4 NC 1991, 1993, 1994, 1997
Appalachian State 3 NC 2005, 2006, 2007

Southern Conference prepares you for Multiple Championships ... One NC is nothing to brag about.. lol

GATA
November 27th, 2010, 10:50 PM

I seriously doubt that. You're probably the worst 2 seed in the history of the tournament.

ThompsonThe
November 27th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Kind of glad Woffy is in your side right now, they might be a little upset at us right now. We will have our hands full if we make it past Western Illinois with the Villanova - Stephen F. Austin winner. Either of those teams may be trouble, especially with Szczur back for Villanova. Five CAA teams left right now. That's 25% of the field. Looks like GaSo gets first up on
a CAA showdown. Good luck Saturday. Remember: You Are Georgia Southern, Don't be Surprised When You Win (or something like that.)

GannonFan
November 27th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Here's another stat:

Southern Conference prepares you for Multiple Championships ... One NC is nothing to brag about.. lol

Uh, 4 of those NC's for Georgia Southern happened prior to them joining the SoCon. Don't you remember, or are you just a johnny come lately?

GannonFan
November 27th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Kind of glad Woffy is in your side right now, they might be a little upset at us right now. We will have our hands full if we make it past Western Illinois with the Villanova - Stephen F. Austin winner. Either of those teams may be trouble, especially with Szczur back for Villanova. Five CAA teams left right now. That's 25% of the field. Looks like GaSo gets first up on
a CAA showdown. Good luck Saturday. Remember: You Are Georgia Southern, Don't be Surprised When You Win (or something like that.)

Well, although Appy St plays like a CAA team, they don't count. We only have 4 teams in the hunt this year.

GSU1-A
November 27th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Uh.. Ya.. I was there for the 89 and 90 ones. I thought we were in the Conference at that point- Back when the most hated team was with us- dare I say.. Marshall... Thundering Turds as I recall.

ThompsonThe
November 27th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Yeah, we didn't think too much about GaSo defense after the first quarter when we played them; after all, we were scoring almost 40 points per game, was up 14 to 0. Funny, but 2 1/2 hours later, that's all we scored. Who knows, they might be pretty decent themselves.

LeadBolt
November 27th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I seriously doubt that. You're probably the worst 2 seed in the history of the tournament.

If that's so, then losing to us will be particularly humiliating for a 6 time champion....

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 27th, 2010, 11:13 PM

I can only ascribe this to CAA arrogance.

Look at the history of the CAA/A10 versus the SoCon over the last 10 or 15 years or so.

Basically it's either GSU or App. State beating the brakes off of them, or it's close games. In fact, the only time a CAA/A-10 beat a SoCon team in recent memory and it wasn't close was when Richmond beat App. State in '08, and that was with Armanti Edwards hobbling around on a hurt hip. Oh, and there was the 1998 NC game, but I think most would consider that game an upset as UMass got help from 7 GSU turnovers.

I see nothing that tells me W&M won't have their hands full in this one as long as Jaybo is good to go.

Seriously?

ThompsonThe
November 27th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Well, although Appy St plays like a CAA team, they don't count. We only have 4 teams in the hunt this year.
I thought you guys said that you would have five in this year, no problem. What happened? Did the money drop not happen in time?

Uh, 4 of those NC's for Georgia Southern happened prior to them joining the SoCon. Don't you remember, or are you just a johnny come lately?
Talk about a "Johnny Come Lately" didn't your fans advertise your NAIA or Division 2 championships? Besides, no one said anything about conference.....did they? And he certainly wasn't saying that Youngstown State is in the SoCon....did he? So why are YOU saying what you did? Huh?

GSU1-A
November 27th, 2010, 11:24 PM
If that's so, then losing to us will be particularly humiliating for a 6 time champion....

Not really. I didn't think we'd even be in the playoffs this year! We really are not that good compared to previous playoff teams.. but NEXT year... we will stop this App State Championship stuff that is watering down the SoCon.. lol... Good Luck Appy in the playoffs btw! We will be back soon ;) #7 before you get 4!

soccerguy315
November 27th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Williamsburg help (bolded so Eaglegus will hopefully see it between the smack talk going on between Delaware and SoCon fans, lol)

Can someone tell me how far ByPass rd. (Sleep Inn) is from Zable Stadium? I know there are great places to eat but I like recommendations from those who live there. They know the places with the best food.

hey man... that hotel is probably a 2-3 minute drive to the stadium. I don't know if you can walk across the train tracks (like, if there is a fence or not), but if you can, then it is probably maybe a 15 minute-ish walk.

Williamsburg has like 8 million hotels, so if you have a chain you like, there is probably one in Williamsburg.

here is the local map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=sleep+in&sll=37.275555,-76.708088&sspn=0.020387,0.036435&gl=us&ie=UTF8&rq=1&ev=zi&split=1&radius=1.2&hq=sleep+in&hnear=&ll=37.278629,-76.711864&spn=0.020386,0.036435&z=15
you will probably want to park across Compton Drive from William and Mary Hall, that is where the tailgating lot is. I think it costs like $5 or $10. 5 minute walk to the stadium from there.

Williamsburg has tons of pancake houses, though I don't have any specific favorites. I don't know what you are looking for in terms of entertainment... Williamsburg is not a hopping college town, haha.

There are three bars right across from the stadium, Green Leafe, Paul's Deli, and the College Deli. I recommend one of the first two. I believe the Green Leafe has a beer selection that is pretty large. http://www.greenleafe.com/beer If you are looking for sandwiches, the Cheese Shop is extremely popular http://cheeseshopwilliamsburg.com/ it is a 5 minute walk from the stadium in the first block of colonial williamsburg, but before it actually gets colonial (the first block is all shopping stuff). There are also traditional "tavern" restaurants where the servers are dressed in colonial garb and such (at least some of these require reservations). You can check out the taverns here: http://www.history.org/visit/diningExperience/ Pierce's Pit BBQ is a little farther away, and very popular.

hope some of that helps, feel free to throw out more questions

GSU1-A
November 27th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I thought you guys said that you would have five in this year, no problem. What happened? Did the money drop not happen in time?

Talk about a "Johnny Come Lately" didn't your fans advertise your NAIA or Division 2 championships? Besides, no one said anything about conference.....did they? And he certainly wasn't saying that Youngstown State is in the SoCon....did he? So why are YOU saying what you did? Huh?

The main point is this: Go Eagles! Good luck Appy... ONE championship is not that big of a deal....;)

ThompsonThe
November 27th, 2010, 11:32 PM

So basically you are saying that Georgia Southern has SIX National Championships -while the ENTIRE CAA has Five National Championships. The Entire 10,000 members of the CAA, over ALL the years that the championships have been played....Georgia Southern single handedly HAS MORE National Championships than ALL of the CAA teams put together, end to end, head to foot, toe to toe, well.....I guess you have told them off.

ThompsonThe
November 27th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Not really. I didn't think we'd even be in the playoffs this year! We really are not that good compared to previous playoff teams.. but NEXT year... we will stop this App State Championship stuff that is watering down the SoCon.. lol... Good Luck Appy in the playoffs btw! We will be back soon ;) #7 before you get 4!

Good luck to you guys too!

pitpen
November 27th, 2010, 11:43 PM

Are you drunk or stupid? Why would a ""Johnny Come Lately"" reference games from years ago. That would be the "opposite" of a "Johnny Come Lately." ASU knows all about "Johnny Come Lately"'s.

Delaware has the same number of NAIA championships as ASU and one more D-II championship than ASU in a year that was much more competitive than an infant I-AA.

ThompsonThe
November 28th, 2010, 12:12 AM
There has been several times when those were referred to as national championships without mentioning where they came from or even that they were NAIA. That's exactly what was being referenced.

GSUFan513
November 28th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I don't post often, but I find this a little amusing with some of the Tribe fans (PC? I think not, lol) coming on here and telling us Ga Southern fan just how we are going to get run over... Our defense is nothing to scoff at. I personally believe we have the best D-Line in all of FCS football, and a solid set of LBers and CBs behind them (and we are only gonna get better)... That being said, as good as our defense is, our offense is just a shadow of what it was when Paul Johnson and Sewak was here.

But I hear you guys talking about how "professional" and "amazingly prepared" your coaches are. I have no doubt that they are some of the best at this level. That being said, why don't you think that Georgia Southern coaches are good too? I will tell you now that our coaches are VERY well prepared....if you don't believe that you need to go back and take a look at our big games (most notably Navy, ASU, and Elon)....there is a reason that we won those three games.

And all this talk about playing in the hardest conference....I don't believe the CAA is THAT much better than the Socon. Look at the championship rings in the past 11 years....5 have come from the Socon. Anyways, I expect a hard fought game from both sides and if the good guys win, you better believe I will be making the quarterfinal game, and if the bad guys win, then you all better had watch out next year, cause this coaching staff has our guys believing and we have possibly the best defense out there, and the offense is only going to get better.

GO EAGLES AND GATA!

soccerguy315
November 28th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I don't post often, but I find this a little amusing with some of the Tribe fans (PC? I think not, lol) coming on here and telling us Ga Southern fan just how we are going to get run over... Our defense is nothing to scoff at. I personally believe we have the best D-Line in all of FCS football, and a solid set of LBers and CBs behind them (and we are only gonna get better)... That being said, as good as our defense is, our offense is just a shadow of what it was when Paul Johnson and Sewak was here.

But I hear you guys talking about how "professional" and "amazingly prepared" your coaches are. I have no doubt that they are some of the best at this level. That being said, why don't you think that Georgia Southern coaches are good too? I will tell you now that our coaches are VERY well prepared....if you don't believe that you need to go back and take a look at our big games (most notably Navy, ASU, and Elon)....there is a reason that we won those three games.

And all this talk about playing in the hardest conference....I don't believe the CAA is THAT much better than the Socon. Look at the championship rings in the past 11 years....5 have come from the Socon. Anyways, I expect a hard fought game from both sides and if the good guys win, you better believe I will be making the quarterfinal game, and if the bad guys win, then you all better had watch out next year, cause this coaching staff has our guys believing and we have possibly the best defense out there, and the offense is only going to get better.

GO EAGLES AND GATA!

just want you to note that a lot of the crap being spewed is coming from Delaware fans.

W&M earned their seed, and I think all rational Tribe fans are expecting a very good game next week. Obviously we hope we will win, but our defense just got demolished by JMU's running game a couple weeks ago. This game is by no means easy for the Tribe, but we hope that our coaches will have the team ready to go. When W&M is "on" this year, we have been very good. The problem is we haven't been "on" all the time (see: JMU game, 2nd half at UMass)

I believe you have a good defense, but W&M will not be scared. We have seen the #1, #4, #6, and #7 scoring defenses this year. We put up 17 on Delaware (averaging 11.6), 24 on JMU (averaging 14.7), 13 on UNH with our #3/4 QB (averaging 16), and 31 on Villanova (averaging 16). We are the #5 scoring defense ourselves, so we are not too shabby in that department either.

dsbsh
November 28th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Williamsburg help (bolded so Eaglegus will hopefully see it between the smack talk going on between Delaware and SoCon fans, lol)

hey man... that hotel is probably a 2-3 minute drive to the stadium. I don't know if you can walk across the train tracks (like, if there is a fence or not), but if you can, then it is probably maybe a 15 minute-ish walk.

Williamsburg has like 8 million hotels, so if you have a chain you like, there is probably one in Williamsburg.

here is the local map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=sleep+in&sll=37.275555,-76.708088&sspn=0.020387,0.036435&gl=us&ie=UTF8&rq=1&ev=zi&split=1&radius=1.2&hq=sleep+in&hnear=&ll=37.278629,-76.711864&spn=0.020386,0.036435&z=15
you will probably want to park across Compton Drive from William and Mary Hall, that is where the tailgating lot is. I think it costs like $5 or $10. 5 minute walk to the stadium from there.

Williamsburg has tons of pancake houses, though I don't have any specific favorites. I don't know what you are looking for in terms of entertainment... Williamsburg is not a hopping college town, haha.

There are three bars right across from the stadium, Green Leafe, Paul's Deli, and the College Deli. I recommend one of the first two. I believe the Green Leafe has a beer selection that is pretty large. http://www.greenleafe.com/beer If you are looking for sandwiches, the Cheese Shop is extremely popular http://cheeseshopwilliamsburg.com/ it is a 5 minute walk from the stadium in the first block of colonial williamsburg, but before it actually gets colonial (the first block is all shopping stuff). There are also traditional "tavern" restaurants where the servers are dressed in colonial garb and such (at least some of these require reservations). You can check out the taverns here: http://www.history.org/visit/diningExperience/ Pierce's Pit BBQ is a little farther away, and very popular.

Soccerguy-- Try the Gazebo for pancakes and breakfast in general; it's on Bypass near the Sleep Inn. Family-owned place; we've been doing breakfast there since the '80s.

soccerguy315
November 28th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Soccerguy-- Try the Gazebo for pancakes and breakfast in general; it's on Bypass near the Sleep Inn. Family-owned place; we've been doing breakfast there since the '80s.

thanks! actually, that is the pancake place that I usually went when my parents were in town, and it was very good, but I have not been to nearly all of the pancake places in Williamsburg, haha. So, Eaglegus, you have 2 recommendations for the Gazebo (right down the street from your sleep inn, on the left, maybe 30 second drive) if you are looking for a good breakfast!

dsbsh
November 28th, 2010, 02:07 AM
thanks! actually, that is the pancake place that I usually went when my parents were in town, and it was very good, but I have not been to nearly all of the pancake places in Williamsburg, haha. So, Eaglegus, you have 2 recommendations for the Gazebo (right down the street from your sleep inn, on the left, maybe 30 second drive) if you are looking for a good breakfast!

My bad. I meant Eaglegus but typed the wrong name. Good recommendations, although you left out Mama Mia's (on purpose?)-- a block from the three other delis, has great strombolis, good pizza, and reasonable prices, but order to go :).

I'm envious of people who will be there. I've got family in the 'Burg, but it's 1000+ miles. And my employer is a D2 football powerhouse; our quarterfinal game next week is a 5 min. walk.

CAAisBOSS
November 28th, 2010, 02:35 AM
nice to see modesty and practicality from most eagle fans. after seeing what wm did to weber and southern illinois last year after all the over hype. i also hope wm doesnt expect the same poor offenses they saw last year...

CAAisBOSS
November 28th, 2010, 02:36 AM
p.s. pauls deli across from the stadium has great subs and stromboli

MacThor
November 28th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I can only ascribe this to CAA arrogance.

Look at the history of the CAA/A10 versus the SoCon over the last 10 or 15 years or so.

Basically it's either GSU or App. State beating the brakes off of them, or it's close games. In fact, the only time a CAA/A-10 beat a SoCon team in recent memory and it wasn't close was when Richmond beat App. State in '08, and that was with Armanti Edwards hobbling around on a hurt hip. Oh, and there was the 1998 NC game, but I think most would consider that game an upset as UMass got help from 7 GSU turnovers.

Richmond smacked Elon around pretty hard that year too.

I don't understand all the conference arrogance/smack either. There are very few undeserving teams in the playoffs each year, and certainly none of the teams being smack-talked on this board are considered part of the "easy out" crowd.

Oldhen
November 28th, 2010, 04:28 AM
This one will be low scoring. If any team scores 30 they win.

I have to agree with this. Two solid defenses, slight edge to GSU. GSU and 'Nova were my picks for spoilers in their half of the field, but if GSU is without Shaw, I might have to backpedal a little on that one. W&M has been tough to run on, but it's just awfully hard to prepare for that TO offense if you aren't seeing it regularly.... the defense really has to change a lot of their approach to the game. I'd said earlier, if it's the tight, lower-scoring game I expect, I gave the edge to GSU on the strength of their D. If Shaw's out, the edge might have to go to W&M on the strength of having Callahan.

umassfan
November 28th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Oh, and there was the 1998 NC game, but I think most would consider that game an upset as UMass got help from 7 GSU turnovers.

Okay so GSU finally has a decent team again and here comes the trolls with turnover issues.

I didnt watch the games this week because no CAA team was playing(hmmm guess that must say something... 4 bids 0 first round games) but from the sounds of it... your D and TURNOVERS won this game for you vs a bad team. Have fun with W&M. Hope they win by 70. Put a little Wisconsin whippin down.

umassfan
November 28th, 2010, 05:02 AM
So basically you are saying that Georgia Southern has SIX National Championships -while the ENTIRE CAA has Five National Championships. The Entire 10,000 members of the CAA, over ALL the years that the championships have been played....Georgia Southern single handedly HAS MORE National Championships than ALL of the CAA teams put together, end to end, head to foot, toe to toe, well.....I guess you have told them off.

When was GSUs last? I believe the CAA keeps taking care of business when GSU fell off the planet. SOCON is a one team conf. First it was GSU now its APP. No room for two powers. CAA is a conf of POWERS.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 28th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Okay so GSU finally has a decent team again and here comes the trolls with turnover issues.

I didnt watch the games this week because no CAA team was playing(hmmm guess that must say something... 4 bids 0 first round games) but from the sounds of it... your D and TURNOVERS won this game for you vs a bad team. Have fun with W&M. Hope they win by 70. Put a little Wisconsin whippin down.

The turnover differential was +1 in favor of GSU and we won by 25. In '98 UMass had, what, a turnover marigin of +6 or +7 they and won by 12? And I don't think UMass had to play with a true freshman backup QB for three quarters, either.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Here's another stat:

Yep, that's my point... time to spread it around a little ;)

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 07:46 AM

What the... huh... awwwww..... that's just goofy.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Yeah, we didn't think too much about GaSo defense after the first quarter when we played them; after all, we were scoring almost 40 points per game, was up 14 to 0. Funny, but 2 1/2 hours later, that's all we scored. Who knows, they might be pretty decent themselves.

I didn't see that game. What happened? Just strong D from GSU? Something also had to go wrong on the App State offense also.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Are you sure you want to roll that out BEFORE the outcome of the game? If GSU loses, you may have to go incognito for a LONG time... Somebody start baking the humble pie... Just saying...

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 07:54 AM

See you guys at Pauls before the game, and the Leafe after...

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 07:56 AM

My point was that it is W&M's turn, since almost every other CAA team has won. Notice I pointed out that App State has owned it recently also. Trying to spread the props around.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 08:01 AM

GO EAGLES AND GATA!

I don't think it's the Tribe fans saying they are going to "run over" GSU. There are some other comments from team fans who know W&M or have played the Tribe. From my perspective, this is going to be a tough game. I just hope that W&M coaches address the Triple Option, and the team doesn't make any mistakes. Of course Tribe fans are going to root their team on. And so should fans for GSU.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 08:03 AM
just want you to note that a lot of the crap being spewed is coming from Delaware fans.

W&M earned their seed, and I think all rational Tribe fans are expecting a very good game next week. Obviously we hope we will win, but our defense just got demolished by JMU's running game a couple weeks ago. This game is by no means easy for the Tribe, but we hope that our coaches will have the team ready to go. When W&M is "on" this year, we have been very good. The problem is we haven't been "on" all the time (see: JMU game, 2nd half at UMass)

I believe you have a good defense, but W&M will not be scared. We have seen the #1, #4, #6, and #7 scoring defenses this year. We put up 17 on Delaware (averaging 11.6), 24 on JMU (averaging 14.7), 13 on UNH with our #3/4 QB (averaging 16), and 31 on Villanova (averaging 16). We are the #5 scoring defense ourselves, so we are not too shabby in that department either.

Not to pile on, but W&M's muffed punt/TD was the difference maker in the JMU game. If that didn't happen, we wouldn't be talking about the 'fear' of the running game.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 08:05 AM
My bad. I meant Eaglegus but typed the wrong name. Good recommendations, although you left out Mama Mia's (on purpose?)-- a block from the three other delis, has great strombolis, good pizza, and reasonable prices, but order to go :).

I'm envious of people who will be there. I've got family in the 'Burg, but it's 1000+ miles. And my employer is a D2 football powerhouse; our quarterfinal game next week is a 5 min. walk.

Mama Mia's is closed...

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 08:38 AM
For the Tribe fans, has anyone heard the status of Paulus? I know Callihan should start, but will Paulus be available as the #2? We may need an insurance policy against this D from GSU.

UncleSam
November 28th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I hope Shaw plays and is at full stength, if he does there can be no whining when W&M whips GSU's butt next week.

Tribe4SF
November 28th, 2010, 08:44 AM
No word on whether Paulus or Caprio will be ready. Mangas has now had three weeks to work back in at QB, and if the other two are back we'll have 5 QBs ready to go. The way the season has gone, we've got to believe we may need them all.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I hope Shaw plays and is at full stength, if he does there can be no whining when W&M whips GSU's butt next week.

That kid got hit pretty hard, and may have had a concussion. If he plays, I'm guessing 80-90% at best, and may be wary of taking another hit like that. How effective can you be if you are running around scared of getting hit in the head?

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 08:47 AM
No word on whether Paulus or Caprio will be ready. Mangas has now had three weeks to work back in at QB, and if the other two are back we'll have 5 QBs ready to go. The way the season has gone, we've got to believe we may need them all.

Let's hope Mangus is on the catching end, and not the pitching end of the equation this week.

Eagle22
November 28th, 2010, 08:49 AM
That kid got hit pretty hard, and may have had a concussion. If he plays, I'm guessing 80-90% at best, and may be wary of taking another hit like that. How effective can you be if you are running around scared of getting hit in the head?

You apparently have rarely seen Jaybo play.

He's been hit like that a lot this season, only to somehow keep playing on.

Very few tougher than he is, and if he plays he won't be scared ... that is about the only thing I can assure you. He's been playing all season at less than 100%, yet been giving 100% every snap, every play.

Tribe4SF
November 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM
You apparently have rarely seen Jaybo play.

He's been hit like that a lot this season, only to somehow keep playing on.

Very few tougher than he is, and if he plays he won't be scared ... that is about the only thing I can assure you. He's been playing all season at less than 100%, yet been giving 100% every snap, every play.

From what I saw yesterday the entire GSU team gives 100%. McKinnon may not be as experienced, but I thought he played very hard.

wml33t
November 28th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I'll echo what others have said - outside of one or two posters, it's not the W&M fans saying we'll kill GSU, it's the fans from other CAA teams. I think if you read here and at our board, most W&M fans realize this is going to be a tough battle. GSU is a good team that plays hard. The run their unique offense well and it can be very tough to stop.

I think the key for W&M, with Shaw in there or not, will be to score early and/or force GSU into 3rd and long situations forcing them to throw.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I'll echo what others have said - outside of one or two posters, it's not the W&M fans saying we'll kill GSU, it's the fans from other CAA teams. I think if you read here and at our board, most W&M fans realize this is going to be a tough battle. GSU is a good team that plays hard. The run their unique offense well and it can be very tough to stop.

I think the key for W&M, with Shaw in there or not, will be to score early and/or force GSU into 3rd and long situations forcing them to throw.

W&M needs to go up early and/or get some turnovers. GSU is great at chewing up the clock, but that will work against them if they get behind.

molly
November 28th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Does the GSU athletic department make and post game summary/highlight videos of their games? I was traveling yesterday and didn't see any of the SC St. game. I watched a couple fan-made youtube videos, but could only find them for a couple games. I'd be very interested in seeing more of GSU before Saturday.

If you're interested, you can watch W&M highlight videos (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=William+and+Mary+quick+highli ghts+2010&aq=f) of all their games (these just show W&M highlights and are ~5-7 minutes each), and longer summaries of all their games (http://www.tribeathletics.com/story.php/10150/), which basically show every meaningful play for both teams (~12 minutes per half).

Baldy
November 28th, 2010, 09:34 AM
From what I saw yesterday the entire GSU team gives 100%. McKinnon may not be as experienced, but I thought he played very hard.
I don't think you will find a team that plays harder or gives more effort than GSU, but we just aren't there yet. If Jaybo does play, I think we have a good shot. If he doesn't, our defense will keep us in the game, but I don't think we will be able to overcome McKinnon's inexperience.

Laserlips
November 28th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Respectfully to William & Mary fans...

GSU was projected, pre-season, to finish in the bottom third of the SOCON..

This is the first ever season as a head football coach for Coach Monken...

The vast majority of our players are freshmen or sophomores, and almost none of them were recruited for the triple option offense..

No matter the outcome of the game next Saturday between GSU and William and Mary our GSU Eagles have already exceeded expectations for a successful season and we are proud of them and their surprising accomplishments..

If Jaybo Shaw is unable to play next Saturday in Williamsburg then our starting quarterback will be a true freshmen... If Robert Brown, who started the season as our #4 running back, is unable to start we will be starting our #5 string running back..

IF William and Mary cannot absolutely massacre our GSU Eagles next Saturday, playing a team composed of mostly sophomores and freshman, with a freshman quarterback, and Lee Banks, our 5th string running back, then I'd suggest some team has been over rated, and another team under-rated, wouldn't you?

Do I expect the GSU Eagles to defeat W&M next Saturday?

Absolutely..

Will I be devastated IF my GSU Eagles fall to the Tribe next Saturday?

Not in the least.

MY EAGLES have ALREADY had a great season...xthumbsupx

Many thanks to Coach Monken and his staff, and all of the players for giving the GSU fans a season to remember.... We appreciate it~!

It's been a great season for our GSU Eagles so far, and it might even get better.. xprayx

I hope it does, but if it's not in the cards, then I'll wait for Coach Monken to "reload", have a great recruiting season, and chances are our GSU Eagles will be better next year, and even better the year after that.

I believe that.

I can also guarantee you there is no "quit" in our Eagle team........

Here's to a great game next Saturday, and win or lose I'm still one proud GSU Eagle football fan....

GATA....

Just conversin', not confrontin'....

No offense to anyone,

Jesse

Baldy
November 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Does the GSU athletic department make and post game summary/highlight videos of their games? I was traveling yesterday and didn't see any of the SC St. game. I watched a couple fan-made youtube videos, but could only find them for a couple games. I'd be very interested in seeing more of GSU before Saturday.

If you're interested, you can watch W&M highlight videos (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=William+and+Mary+quick+highli ghts+2010&aq=f) of all their games (these just show W&M highlights and are ~5-7 minutes each), and longer summaries of all their games (http://www.tribeathletics.com/story.php/10150/), which basically show every meaningful play for both teams (~12 minutes per half).

Here's one from the Statesboro Hearld:

http://www.statesboroherald.com/multimedia/2209/

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Nice!

Grabholdofyosef
November 28th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Without Shaw, I dont think GSU will be able to move the ball and eat enough clock to win unless they can come up with some big turnovers or special teams plays.

With Shaw, the offense is so frustrating because they just chip away all the way down field. The key is 1st down. If you can keep them to two yards or less on 1st, then it can be easier to get them off the field. The problem is you think your team has done well but if they get 3 on 1st, 4 on 2nd and 3 on 3rd, the chains move and a minute or more is gone. Also, they are content on getting 3, 3, 3 and then get 1 on 4th. As your d gets lulled to that pattern, they will pass or break a long run. It is painful to watch.

Should be a good game. I am rooting for GSU to pull the upset, but I think W&M has shown they can beat good teams. With the homefield being the deciding factor:

Without Shaw, W&M 23 GSU 10
With Shaw, W&M 20 GSU 17

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 10:37 AM

The vast majority of our players are freshmen or sophomores, and almost none of them were recruited for the triple option offense..

No matter the outcome of the game next Saturday between GSU and William and Mary our GSU Eagles have already exceeded expectations for a successful season and we are proud of them and their surprising accomplishments..

If Jaybo Shaw is unable to play next Saturday in Williamsburg then our starting quarterback will be a true freshmen... If Robert Brown, who started the season as our #4 running back, is unable to start we will be starting our #5 string running back..

IF William and Mary cannot absolutely massacre our GSU Eagles next Saturday, playing a team composed of mostly sophomores and freshman, with a freshman quarterback, and Lee Banks, our 5th string running back, then I'd suggest some team has been over rated, and another team under-rated, wouldn't you?

Absolutely..

Not in the least.

Many thanks to Coach Monken and his staff, and all of the players for giving the GSU fans a season to remember.... We appreciate it~!

It's been a great season for our GSU Eagles so far, and it might even get better.. xprayx

I hope it does, but if it's not in the cards, then I'll wait for Coach Monken to "reload", have a great recruiting season, and chances are our GSU Eagles will be better next year, and even better the year after that.

I believe that.

Here's to a great game next Saturday, and win or lose I'm still one proud GSU Eagle football fan....

GATA....

No offense to anyone,

Jesse

Come on now... don't play down expectations. Your squad beat #1 and undefeated App State, and is now in the second round of the playoffs. Must be doing something right. Gonna be a tough game. Let's give your team some credit.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Absolutely..

Not in the least.

I believe that.

GATA....

No offense to anyone,

Jesse

Also, isn't that QB your #2 rusher on the season? Not quite a slacker...

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Without Shaw, I dont think GSU will be able to move the ball and eat enough clock to win unless they can come up with some big turnovers or special teams plays.

With Shaw, the offense is so frustrating because they just chip away all the way down field. The key is 1st down. If you can keep them to two yards or less on 1st, then it can be easier to get them off the field. The problem is you think your team has done well but if they get 3 on 1st, 4 on 2nd and 3 on 3rd, the chains move and a minute or more is gone. Also, they are content on getting 3, 3, 3 and then get 1 on 4th. As your d gets lulled to that pattern, they will pass or break a long run. It is painful to watch.

Should be a good game. I am rooting for GSU to pull the upset, but I think W&M has shown they can beat good teams. With the homefield being the deciding factor:

Without Shaw, W&M 23 GSU 10
With Shaw, W&M 20 GSU 17

Yep, they keep chopping wood, until they bring down the tree. And they'll break a 20, 30, 40 yard run now and then. It's demoralizing, and wears down the defense. Agree with your analysis, but one thing W&M is good at on offense is the big play and getting a lead early. And if their defense can at least hold their own, it's going to be a good matchup.

Laserlips
November 28th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Come on now... don't play down expectations. Your squad beat #1 and undefeated App State, and is now in the second round of the playoffs. Must be doing something right. Gonna be a tough game. Let's give your team some credit.

Tf:

I didn't mean to give the impression I don't expect our GSU Eagles to win next Saturday against the Tribe... In fact I said I absolutely expect our Eagles to come away the winner..

I am realistic in that in order for our GSU Eagles to win in Williamsburg lots of variables must fall in our favor... Will that happen?

Don't know, but I have seen our young Eagle team mature throughout the season, and even with some of our best athletes being on the sidelines because of injury I STILL know on any given Saturday (daynmm I'm good), Coach Monken has the entire team, and the fans, believing victory against ANY playoff team is possible..

I also did not mean to disparage the skills of Mr's McKinnon, or Lee Banks either... I was impressed yesterday with the performance of both players. It took Mr. McKinnon a while to get comfortable, but once he did he was pretty darn good.

I don't know what was going on with the field conditions at Paulson yesterday.. Normally our field is absolutely one of the best in the nation, but for some reason the moisture from the earlier rains made the field slippery, and McKinnon kept slipping on it..

Please have us a nice, dry field in Williamsburg next Saturday.. I think on a dry field Mr. McKinnon's talents are better served.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Tribe4SF
November 28th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Dry field is no problem. We play on FieldTurf.

Laserlips
November 28th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Great!

Then GSU wins! xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

Yea! Yea! Yea?
Thanks!

Jesse

UncleSam
November 28th, 2010, 12:00 PM
With or without Shaw, W&M wins by at least two TDs.

GATA
November 28th, 2010, 12:01 PM

I took a second glance at GSU's losses this year...I don't see any two TD losses...but I guess W&M is special. I would feel like an offensive juggernaut too if my team was scoring 25.5 ppg. They'll probably beat GSU by 50.

Laserlips
November 28th, 2010, 12:06 PM
US:

A distinct possibility.... xbawlingx

As is the prospect that the GSU Eagles come out firing on all cylinders, have a little luck, and win...xthumbsupx

I like our chances, but then I'm a obvious GSU "homer"...

Jesse

CAAisBOSS
November 28th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I took a second glance at GSU's losses this year...I don't see any two TD losses...but I guess W&M is special. I would feel like an offensive juggernaut too if my team was scoring 25.5 ppg. They'll probably beat GSU by 50.

25 ppg vs the best defenses in the country... and we could only need to score 14pts to beat gsu by 2 tds

soccerguy315
November 28th, 2010, 12:22 PM
25 ppg vs the best defenses in the country... and we could only need to score 14pts to beat gsu by 2 tds

we could, but I would bet a lot of money we won't hold GSU to 0 points, lol

Baldy
November 28th, 2010, 12:26 PM

xlmaox

molly
November 28th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks, Baldy! So, the GSU athletic department doesn't put together anything to publicly highlight each game? I'd kinda like to see some footage from the games they lost.

Baldy
November 28th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks, Baldy! So, the GSU athletic department doesn't put together anything to publicly highlight each game? I'd kinda like to see some footage from the games they lost.
No, the athletic department doesn't do those type of highlights, but you can get good coverage from different outlets.
www.bullochheadlinenews.com
www.statesboroherald.com

They have video from all our games, including losses.

parr90
November 28th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I dont know of any GSU folks that even thought we would go this far this year. I am proud that we have accomplished what we have. The future looks bright. That said....this team finds a way to win. I can remember teams we played in the past in playoffs that were supposed to be better than us but we won. This is typical for Georgia Southern football. Finding a way to win. This GSU team has gotten better every week. Should be a great game.

eaglewraith
November 28th, 2010, 12:57 PM

You've hit on one of the points that I would love for us to do. App State has a pro on staff that does their post game highlight videos that does incredible work. And I come from the school of thought that no one should have anything better than us so we should have something similar as well.

I would love for the school to put out something like this after every game.

However, you won't see any playoff video other than that Statesboro Herald video online. The NCAA has mandated that no footage from playoff games is to be posted online unfortunately.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM

I agree that the CAA has made your offense look not quite as good as it really is. The CAA is a strong defensive conference.

But I don't think they are any better than the App. State offense we held to 14 points or the Navy offense we held to 13.

Also, I notice that William and mary is middle-of-the-road (tied for 59th) in sacks allowed. Count on GSU's DL getting some pressure. We have possibly the best pass rush in the FCS. App. State and Elon can attest to that.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM
a couple notes on this thread: The Socon has 3 current members with at least one national championship, one former member, Marshall has 2 national championships. GSU has only 2 national championships while in the SoCon. so if you count all national championships by teams currently and formally in the Socon:12
all national championships by teams currently in the conference: 10
All national championships by teams that are currently in the conference and won by teams while they were in that conference: 6
more than the CAA:)

W&M will have the upperhand having experience playing against great defenses. The CAA has some great defenses (either that or pitiful offenses), Georgia Southern played against only 2 good defenses in Wofford and App State. they played good enough to win against App State, only scoring on the possessions before and after half and first one in overtime, and struggled against Wofford (Wofford's offense scored 9 for GSU. GSU had one TD run for 70something yards and other than that Wofford was able to keep them in check holding them to 1 touchdown for the rest of the game, Wofford played poorly all around in terms of penalties and special teams)

and I believe if Wofford wins and GSU wins this week, Wofford will host the game because Wofford puts forth a bigger bid in the second round as opposed to the first round because of thanksgiving

straightshooter
November 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Wofford will never outbid GSU for a playoff spot. The Eagles are getting a great following these days, and AD Baker and new president Keel will make sure of it.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Wofford will never outbid GSU for a playoff spot. The Eagles are getting a great following these days, and AD Baker and new president Keel will make sure of it.

But Wofford has lots and lots of $$$$$

Skjellyfetti
November 28th, 2010, 02:42 PM
But Wofford has lots and lots of $$$$$

Why didn't y'all outbid Jacksonville State then?

james_lawfirm
November 28th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Are you kidding? It would be f&*$ing awesome to have a GSU-ASU rematch in Frisco (though I would prefer Chatty, of course).

Plus, you guys had better not lose in the first round when you have the #1 seed. Makes the conference look bad.

Understood. If App & GaSo get to Frisco, I'll buy the first round for all my Iggle friends.

ncguitarplyr
November 28th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I want GSU to win just cause I want another shot at em...beating them in the national championship would be just the kind of revenge I had in mind

james_lawfirm
November 28th, 2010, 03:24 PM

GATA....

No offense to anyone,

Jesse

GREAT post! Hear, hear. I am delighted to know that GaSo is back on track with its new coach & the TO.

soccerguy315
November 28th, 2010, 03:31 PM
would be nice if all the junk was left out of this thread so we could actually discuss the game, and provide any info to GSU fans traveling to the game that they are looking for about Williamsburg.

Can't we just talk football? Delaware and ASU fans going at it should be taken to the smack board.

And who cares how much Wofford can bid? geez. come on guys.

GaSouthern
November 28th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Understood. If App & GaSo get to Frisco, I'll buy the first round for all my Iggle friends.

Right back at you, it'll be a black and blue town!

paward
November 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Before any of you start making reservation for Frisco, hold your horses at least a week. GSU vs W&M should be a great game. There is a lot to be said for being there as many times as GSU has and it should help them. W&M is solid on both sides of the ball. I respect both teams and think it will be a fight until the finish. I do feel it is W&M time. They have come so close.

Both teams are in a conference that do not play the little sisters of the poor. Their weekly schedules should help them. Here is hoping to see a good game.

molly
November 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM
some of you CAA boys (Uncle Sam- what a joke) are sure some cocky boys not to have ever won a damn thing.

While I can't speak for the number of competitions that Uncle Sam himself has won, I know that the school (perhaps his alma mater) he cheers for has. From what I hear, multiple champtionships, in fact, at all sorts of levels of NCAA football.

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 28th, 2010, 03:53 PM
With Jaybo, we win and here's why. We will be able to control the time of possession by having the 7+ minute drives we have had all season. Against App. St., we had one drive that went for 10:17. That meant that A- App. couldn't score on us b/c we had the ball for those 10 minutes, and B- Our defense was getting rested so we would be fresh and could stop them on their next drive.

Jaybo moves the chains. Our other QB's don't. We can't go 3 and out against W&M. Our defense will get gassed to quickly. If we have Jaybo it will be a close game and we have a really good chance to win.

W&M is 8-3 with losses to UMass (who has a 4-4 record in the CAA), James Madison (who has a 3-5 record in the CAA), and FBS North Carolina.

GSU is 8-4 with losses to Navy (by 6 points and held Navy to less yards and points than anyone else this year, including Notre Dame), Chattanooga (5-3 in the SoCon), Wofford (7-1 in the SoCon), and Samford (2-6 in the SoCon... ouch).

Both teams haven't lost to anyone, FBS teams included, by more than a Touchdown. Both teams kept up with the FBS opponent. Both teams have shown they can win a big game.

This is going to be a good game unless Jaybo Shaw is injured still.

GaSouthern
November 28th, 2010, 03:53 PM
GSU has a one sided team if Jaybo is not 100%, if our D can't win the game then we are in touble. if W&M can't score then they can't win, I don't think we can shut them out though.

dsbsh
November 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Some of us need to learn the difference b/w smack and just plain stupid.

Lost in much of the discussion about Shaw is Callahan. He's now healthy, and if he plays like last week, we'll score 20+.

I'm still pulling for the Tribe, even if Momma Mia's is gone.xbawlingx

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 28th, 2010, 04:17 PM

Lost in much of the discussion about Shaw is Callahan. He's now healthy, and if he plays like last week, we'll score 20+.

Well someone talk about Callahan then.

SpeedkingATL
November 28th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Like many on this thread I think for GSU to keep it close they have to have Shaw at QB. Against App he killed us with precision passing and excellent judgement with the ball. The kid is a gamer and has a better arm than most realize. W&M has to be favored in this game with the home field advantage. Should be a really interesting game. Hope the Eagles bring their A game.....

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Why didn't y'all outbid Jacksonville State then?

Thanksgiving, there wouldn't have been that many people there, we usually bid for second round games (see Richmond 2007)

wmmii
November 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM

W&M has two top Quarterbacks in both Callahan and Paulus. Richmond has a great D but Callahan he went 17-22 with 331 yard and two TD with no picks last game as HEALTHY. Here are the stats for both:

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
Mike Callahan 8 154.2 113-175-3 64.6 1546 10 64 193.2
Michael Paulus 6 120.7 88-142-2 62.0 883 4 36 147.2

elon77
November 28th, 2010, 05:57 PM
To all the people in Williamsburg, lock up your women, children, and animals. For the GSU fans, be sure to eat at Pierce's BBQ. Quite tasty. And one more thing, good luck to my Socon friends, wish we were there.

wmmii
November 28th, 2010, 06:06 PM
To all the people in Williamsburg, lock up your women, children, and animals. For the GSU fans, be sure to eat at Pierce's BBQ. Quite tasty. And one more thing, good luck to my Socon friends, wish we were there.

Pierce's does have awesome BQ, it is one of my favorites! Get the JC Special, names after the owner!

Ivytalk
November 28th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Just a hunch: Tribe 21, GSU 19, in a real gut-slammer.

GSU EAGLES
November 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Thanksgiving, there wouldn't have been that many people there, we usually bid for second round games (see Richmond 2007)

Hmmm....Did not know that they don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Jacksonville, AL. You learn something new every day!

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 07:07 PM
With Jaybo, we win and here's why. We will be able to control the time of possession by having the 7+ minute drives we have had all season. Against App. St., we had one drive that went for 10:17. That meant that A- App. couldn't score on us b/c we had the ball for those 10 minutes, and B- Our defense was getting rested so we would be fresh and could stop them on their next drive.

Jaybo moves the chains. Our other QB's don't. We can't go 3 and out against W&M. Our defense will get gassed to quickly. If we have Jaybo it will be a close game and we have a really good chance to win.

W&M is 8-3 with losses to UMass (who has a 4-4 record in the CAA), James Madison (who has a 3-5 record in the CAA), and FBS North Carolina.

GSU is 8-4 with losses to Navy (by 6 points and held Navy to less yards and points than anyone else this year, including Notre Dame), Chattanooga (5-3 in the SoCon), Wofford (7-1 in the SoCon), and Samford (2-6 in the SoCon... ouch).

Both teams haven't lost to anyone, FBS teams included, by more than a Touchdown. Both teams kept up with the FBS opponent. Both teams have shown they can win a big game.

This is going to be a good game unless Jaybo Shaw is injured still.

Agreed, going to be one to watch!

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 07:09 PM

Callihan played out of his mind in the Richmond game. Well done. However we've played 4 QB's this year. But it looks like Callihan is back in form and peaked at the right time.

Skjellyfetti
November 28th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Um, Thanksgiving games were yesterday. Y'all play Jacksonville State in the second round. Richmond vs. Wofford in 2007 was on December 1. Wofford vs. Jacksonville State is on December 4. 3 days later.

Not buying the Thanksgiving excuse. xrolleyesx

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Hmmm....Did not know that they don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Jacksonville, AL. You learn something new every day!

it's different when you average 8k per game as opposed to 18k a game

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Um, Thanksgiving games were last weekend. Y'all play Jacksonville State in the second round. Richmond vs. Wofford in 2007 was on December 1. Wofford vs. Jacksonville State is on December 4. 3 days later.

well traditionally, we go for second round games (bids are due before we know who's playing thanksgiving weekend). I remember in '08 they said if we beat JMU we'd probably get a home game against Villanova. So if we follow this formula I think I'll go with my predictions

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 07:34 PM
What I want to know is what will W&M do to stop the Triple Option? GSU ran all over SC State and wore out their defense. If W&M's offense is not on the field, they cant score points.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2010, 07:42 PM
...ok.

I try and stir you guys up and all I can get is an "ok" geez

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I try and stir you guys up and all I can get is an "ok" geez

Nicely done! Go Lehigh! ;)

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2010, 08:10 PM

Jesse

No serious CFB fan takes any of that pre-season stuff seriously though

WoCoTerrier
November 28th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Um, Thanksgiving games were yesterday. Y'all play Jacksonville State in the second round. Richmond vs. Wofford in 2007 was on December 1. Wofford vs. Jacksonville State is on December 4. 3 days later.

Bids were in before teams knew if they would be playing on Thanksgiving weekend.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2010, 08:14 PM
xlmaox

it's good to have the GSU fans back, they were out so long and we all really missed them

McNeese75
November 28th, 2010, 08:16 PM
GATA Eagles

YoUDeeMan
November 28th, 2010, 08:37 PM
You're right, semi's @ Villanova last year... we had that game and let it slip away. And semi's with JMU @ W&M in 2004. So close...

Uhh...speaking of letting 2004 games slip away...blowing you out...and didn't run Cuff in the 4th. Worst playoff game ever. OC's stupidity cost us another ring. xnodx

YoUDeeMan
November 28th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I don't post often...

I will tell you now that our coaches are VERY well prepared....if you don't believe that you need to go back and take a look at our big games (most notably Navy, ASU, and Elon)....there is a reason that we won those three games.

Wow, your coaches MUST be good...good enough to go back in time and change history. xlolx

MacThor
November 28th, 2010, 08:58 PM

Thanksgiving is next weekend? Damn, I shouldn't have eaten all that turkey last Thursday.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Thanksgiving is next weekend? Damn, I shouldn't have eaten all that turkey last Thursday.

continue reading the thread; bids are due before teams know when they play

Skjellyfetti
November 28th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Bids were in before teams knew if they would be playing on Thanksgiving weekend.

Yes. I know.

Youngterrier said Wofford doesn't bid much for Thanksgiving games. Ok, that's great. My question is... if Wofford has so much money to bid to host playoff games (as he claimed) why didn't they outbid Jacksonville State for a game that is not a Thanksgiving weekend game.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Yes. I know.

Youngterrier said Wofford doesn't bid much for Thanksgiving games. Ok, that's great. My question is... if Wofford has so much money to bid to host playoff games (as he claimed) why didn't they outbid Jacksonville State for a game that is not a Thanksgiving weekend game.

because even less than our average 8k would show up and there would be very little point in wasting that money for not much turnout.

edit: which would you rather do if you don't have a seed, play a team you have a good chance at beating on the road (not a jab at JSU, just a general comment) in the first round and playing a team at your house in the second round who has a better chance at beating you and thus you would prefer home-field advantage.
or:
beating a team by 50 in a half empty stadium in the first round, then going to a harsher environment against a team more on your level in the second round where home-field advantage is against you.

I want home-field advantage the deeper I go into the playoffsxnodx

and I have edited this post literally 4 times

soccerguy315
November 28th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I got some questions for the GSU guys...

How much playing time has GSU's backup QB had?
How often does GSU throw? like 1-2 times a game, or more in the 10-15 range?
GSU has a good defense. Which part is the strongest? If you had to point out a weakness, where would it be?
What is the main difference between the first 8 games of the season and the last 4 (I believe you went 4-4 and then 4-0)?
How is your kicker/punter?
Are your special teams dangerous on the return? Do you block any punts or FGs?

Skjellyfetti
November 28th, 2010, 10:26 PM
because even less than our average 8k would show up and there would be very little point in wasting that money for not much turnout.

edit: which would you rather do if you don't have a seed, play a team you have a good chance at beating on the road (not a jab at JSU, just a general comment) in the first round and playing a team at your house in the second round who has a better chance at beating you and thus you would prefer home-field advantage.
or:
beating a team by 50 in a half empty stadium in the first round, then going to a harsher environment against a team more on your level in the second round where home-field advantage is against you.

I want home-field advantage the deeper I go into the playoffsxnodx

and I have edited this post literally 4 times

I would want to be home every weekend possible in the playoffs. I'd bid as much as my school could afford for every game. I wouldn't hold back and assume anything.

Imagine if Appalachian decided to lowball their bid for the first round playoff game in 2007. "Eh, it's Thanksgiving weekend... attendance is low... and we'll probably get a cupcake. Let's not bid too much in the first round." They would have ended up playing AT JMU instead of hosting them. They, more than likely, would have been one and done instead of hoisting a 3rd trophy.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 28th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I would want to be home every weekend possible in the playoffs. I'd bid as much as my school could afford for every game. I wouldn't hold back and assume anything.

Imagine if Appalachian decided to lowball their bid for the first round playoff game in 2007. "Eh, it's Thanksgiving weekend... attendance is low... and we'll probably get a cupcake. Let's not bid too much in the first round." They would have ended up playing AT JMU instead of hosting them. They, more than likely, would have been one and done instead of hoisting a 3rd trophy.

Exactly, the school should do everything they can to advance as far into the playoffs as they can. Even if hosting a home game ends up losing the school money, if that home field advantage turns the tide in a game the positive PR from the win can lead to increased home attendance in the future, and more than recoup the losses. Winning a NC does great things for home attendance (usually). App State had decent attendance before, but the three titles have launched them to the top of the pile.

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 28th, 2010, 10:45 PM

GSU has a good defense. Which part is the strongest? If you had to point out a weakness, where would it be?
What is the main difference between the first 8 games of the season and the last 4 (I believe you went 4-4 and then 4-0)?

Playing time for backup QB- While McKinnon is a true freshman, he has seen a good deal of playing time. He has played about 3.5 games this year total.

Defense- Our D-line. They will kill you. The weakness... There isn't really one. Sometimes we give up big plays but it's pretty rare. Watch out for #66 Brent Russell. He is the best d-linemen in the FCS, in many peoples opinion including coaches and media. He is always double teamed, if not triple teamed.

Difference between first 8 games and last 4- Getting used to the option. We went away from the option for 4 years and tried the whole pass first thing. It didn't work. We hired a new coach after not making the playoffs and went back to the triple option. Because of the complete change of scheme, it started off a little slow. Once it got clicking it has looked beautiful though. We start a handful of freshman, only 3 of our starters are seniors. Most of the starters are true freshman or sophomores. This coaching staff has done a tremendous job so far. We are extremely proud of our boys as they have played with a ton of heart.

Punter and kicker- Will both play in the NFL when they are done at GSU. Kicker has only missed one fg all year and made all of his xp's. Punts avg. about 45 or so yards with solid hangtime.

Special teams- Expect well placed punts with excellent coverage. We got 2 safetys off of kicks last week because our guys were quick enough to be there when SC State messed up. We block kicks, we block punts, we run those blocks back to score sometimes. I have never seen a team block so many kicks/punts since LSU a few years ago. On the return I don't remember us taking one to the house this year but we usually get atleast 20 yards on the return. It's a consistent medium gain.

--------------
Now my turn.

What are the Tribe's key players?

What are the strengths and weakness'?

I saw the score against UNC, how'd that game go? Any points of pride there?

What was your biggest win this year? Why?

SpiritCymbal
November 28th, 2010, 11:15 PM

He's played in 3 games (not including mop up duty). He played the entire Citadel game and 3/4ths of the Samford game. He had to play 3 quarters last weekend. If Shaw is healthy, McKinnon will not be used.

Depends on which QB will be in the game. Shaw will attempt between 7-12 passes. McKinnon will probably only have 3-5 attempts.

Strength lies along the DL and LBs. DBs are our weakest, but they're not too shabby.

The main difference is simply "experience". This team is made up of a lot of freshmen. And the rest were recruited to play in a spread offense (not triple option) and a 3-3-5 defense (not 4-3). This team is a true TEAM. They've bought into the coaches, program history and most importantly, each other.

Both are some of the best in the country in my opinion. Punter is one of the best in the nation. Averages around 42 yards per kick and is pretty consistent about pinning teams deep. FG kicker is 11-12 this year in FG's and 34-34 PAT's. He nailed a season long of 45 yards in the SCST game that was into a pretty steady wind. He doesn't have a strong leg, but is accurate as all hell.

ST's are pretty solid. Our kick returner averages about 24 yards per kick. We did give up a kick return for a td last week against SCST though.

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 28th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Jaybo just got cleared for practice tomorrow according to Savannah news.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2010, 01:07 AM

What, or who is "Momma Mia's"? Surely you are not talking about the musical or the movie.

continue reading the thread; bids are due before teams know when they play

I believe that our SoCon Terrier brother was saying that they did not know if they would have to play in the first round and did not want to put in too high a bid for a game that might be played a couple of days after Thanksgiving. However, I believe that you can bid on certain rounds specifically. I am sure that Jacksonville State bidded really high considering their new stadium expansion, beating an SEC this year, and having a good record, especially after being on probation last year and not able to participate in the playoffs.

Jaybo just got cleared for practice tomorrow according to Savannah news.

Congratulations on your upcoming win then.

soccerguy315
November 29th, 2010, 01:20 AM
What are the Tribe's key players?

Tribe key players on offense:
RB Grimes (jr) - power back, hard to bring down, always falls forward. First team CAA 2nd year in a row. Has been banged up some this year.
WR Moody (so) - probably our biggest deep threat, though (sr) Hill also has that potential. 2nd team CAA.
TE Gottlieb (jr) - excellent blocking TE. Has good hands over the middle. First team CAA.
QB Callahan (sr) - has battled tons of injuries, just earned a scholarship this year I believe. Plays very smart, can scramble for gains if the opportunity is there. Has been banged up a lot this year. Missed 2 or 3 weeks in the middle of the season, and then was knocked out at the beginning of the game at UNC and missed the rest of that plus the UNH game. Arm strength is sometimes questionable (under thrown deep balls), but overall does very well. 113 for 175, 10 TDs, 3 INT
OL - solid... couple all conference guys. Some injuries throughout the year.

Defense
CB Webb (so) - 8 INTs last year, and now basically no one throws to the guy he is covering. I expect this will not be as useful against a team that runs all the time. 1st team CAA
LB Cook (so) - leads the team with 95 tackles. 2nd team CAA
DE Hyde (jr) - 11 TFL. 2nd team CAA
DT Stover (sr) - 12 TFL. 2nd team CAA

DL lost a lot of talent last year (2 guys to NFL), so some guys have had to get used to playing more minutes.

What are the strengths and weakness'?

The Tribe is a strong team. Very disciplined. Does not commit many penalties (4th in FCS in least penalty yards per game). We have a very good punter (averages 1 yard more per punt than your guy), though he did have one blocked and returned for a TD against JMU, which ended up costing us the game. He was also our kicker until he got injured a few games into the season. We now have a new guy kicking, who has struggled some (missed 2 PATs), but I think he is coming around. He's 5/6 under 30, and 1/3 over 40, with a long of 42. Our LBs are very good, but have had to grow into the roles this season, since one of our LB captains left the team for personal reasons in August. Overall our D is very good, but has had some trouble against the run , in the 2nd half of the UMass game and against JMU. GSU will obviously be looking to exploit this.

Defense is giving up 15.3 points per game, just slightly lower than GSU's 17.9. Offense scoring a few points fewer than GSU, I think 25/26 vs. GSU's 28/29.

Also, it seems that teams usually start between their own 30-40 whenever we kickoff.

With GSU and Wofford in our part of the bracket, hopefully the team spent this last week watching some tape on the triple option.

Team has playoff experience from a trip to the semi-finals last year.

Some people will surely disagree with me on this, but I do not think the team is as strong as last year (though I think FCS as a whole is down compared to last year also). We will return the vast majority of our key guys, and will be primed to make a run at the NC next year.

I saw the score against UNC, how'd that game go? Any points of pride there?

The UNC game went really well... Tribe took it to them for a lot of the game, but the defense was just on the field too much in the 2nd half and they finally broke the big run with 6ish minutes to go for the winning TD. We lead for 3.5 quarters. Lost our starting QB at the very beginning, then lost the backup at the very end (2nd to last play). Callahan should be fully healthy, he played last week against Richmond.

What was your biggest win this year? Why?
Probably the Delaware game... we were down, made a QB change (Paulus out, Callahan in) and won the game. Defense had (I think) 3 stands inside the 10 where we kept them out of the end zone and they went for it on 4th downs. Delaware was #1 (or 2?), it was homecoming weekend. UNH was another big win, able to kill the game with our 4th QB (3rd QB injured in the 3rd quarter) and defense. We also beat then #1 Villanova.

soccerguy315
November 29th, 2010, 01:23 AM
What, or who is "Momma Mia's"? Surely you are not talking about the musical or the movie.

It's a bar-ish and pizza type place in Williamsburg that someone tried to recommend to a GSU fan, but it is apparently gone (I never really went there). Although, it doesn't look like it is closed on www.campusfood.com

Poly's Brutality
November 29th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Watch out for GS. Players recruited for spread but excelling at TO. Couple big holes opened up for the fullback dive in last game. W&M allows team to start from 30-40? Special teams huge for GS (as advertised before last game), and starting QB on the mend all are indicators of danger for Tribe. Tribe decent line but TO OL could keep them gassed. Week off advantage would be better for W&M if the SCS game had been closer?

Baldy
November 29th, 2010, 02:27 AM

McKinnon hasn't had enough playing time. He was first team All-State QB in AAAA, but he didn't take his first snap under center until he got to campus for fall practice.

We pass on average about 10-12 times a game.

The front 7 is our strength. The DL has been dominating, and our LB's can flat out fly to the ball. If there is a weakness, it's in the Secondary. A true freshman beat out a former all conference CB, but he is still a freshman.

The biggest difference between the last four games and the first eight is consistency. I believe they players are getting more comfortable with the system.

Our kicker was All-SoCon last year. He only missed one kick this season, but wasn't chosen for the all conference team. Still waiting on an explanation for that one. Our punter is first team all conference, and GSU is #1 in FCS in punting. If I had a vote for team MVP, it would go to him.

Our KR was first team All-SoCon, and is #11 nationally. he averages over 27 yards per return. He hasn't taken one to the house this season, yet, but he always seems to have at least one long return every game.

eaglewraith
November 29th, 2010, 05:48 AM
One of the things that worries me about this game will be the refs. I would prefer we have CAA refs because from the past in the playoffs they've been the most consistent, but since we're playing a CAA team I don't think that's allowed. Hopefully we won't end up with another OVC crew like this past week though, those guys were awful.

Tribe4SF
November 29th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Refs are a true crapshoot in the playoffs. I'm hoping for Southland guys. They worked our semi-final at Villanova last year and were very good. Hope it's not MEAC. They are notoriously bad.

Whoever they are I hope they know you can't move forward before the snap when in motion. Saw a couple of those for GSU on Saturday that weren't called. The TO is tough enough without giving guys a head start.

straightshooter
November 29th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I can assure you that you don't want refs from the OVC. That's who did the game in Statesboro, and they were the worst I've ever seen in a college game. Brent Russell changed jerseys three times because two were ripped off of him, and they called holding one time. If you look at the replay of the fumble TD return where Russell knocked the ball out of the QB's hands, the center for SCSU was being pulled along the ground as he held onto Russell's jersey. There were so many more blatent misses of calls (both sides) that it's hard to believe that those refs had ever called a game. If the NCAA is serious about this, those guys won't ref another playoff game this season.

straightshooter
November 29th, 2010, 08:23 AM
He's played in 3 games (not including mop up duty). He played the entire Citadel game and 3/4ths of the Samford game. He had to play 3 quarters last weekend. If Shaw is healthy, McKinnon will not be used.

Depends on which QB will be in the game. Shaw will attempt between 7-12 passes. McKinnon will probably only have 3-5 attempts.

Strength lies along the DL and LBs. DBs are our weakest, but they're not too shabby.

The main difference is simply "experience". This team is made up of a lot of freshmen. And the rest were recruited to play in a spread offense (not triple option) and a 3-3-5 defense (not 4-3). This team is a true TEAM. They've bought into the coaches, program history and most importantly, each other.

Both are some of the best in the country in my opinion. Punter is one of the best in the nation. Averages around 42 yards per kick and is pretty consistent about pinning teams deep. FG kicker is 11-12 this year in FG's and 34-34 PAT's. He nailed a season long of 45 yards in the SCST game that was into a pretty steady wind. He doesn't have a strong leg, but is accurate as all hell.

ST's are pretty solid. Our kick returner averages about 24 yards per kick. We did give up a kick return for a td last week against SCST though.

PK Mora is now 14-15 on FG and 38-38 on PAT for the season. He has never missed an extra point in his three years at GSU. The P Edwards leads the nation in net punting and is averaging 41+ yards per punt.

With the exception of UNC, this will likely be the fastest D that WM has faced this season (no offense to other CAA defenses). They won't be the biggest by any means, but they are very quick in the back seven. Brent Russell is, according to SCSU coach Pough, "unblockable." He certainly was that on Saturday, but Russell isn't the only player on GSU D line. Rod Tinsley has become a force as well, and true freshman DE Josh Gebhardt has come out of nowhere and is playing like a freshman AA candidate. GSU lost starting DE Dion Dubose to injury against WCU, but they have adjusted personnel nicely.

gsugt1
November 29th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I dont know of any GSU folks that even thought we would go this far this year. I am proud that we have accomplished what we have. The future looks bright. That said....this team finds a way to win. I can remember teams we played in the past in playoffs that were supposed to be better than us but we won. This is typical for Georgia Southern football. Finding a way to win. This GSU team has gotten better every week. Should be a great game.

Point on .... also we have nothing to lose on Saturday ... expect CM to throw everything he has at it.

mcveyrl
November 29th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I interrupt some of this nonsense only to throw another vote to Paul's Deli. Although I've only been there with a mixed group of W&M and JMU fans, it's a quality establishment and you are treated well...particularly after you start a tab on a company credit card... :)

Black Saturday
November 29th, 2010, 09:24 AM
GSU beats South Carolina State 41-16 to advance into the first round. Hopefully Jaybo Shaw and Robert Brown will be back. This is going to be a good one, folks.
xnodx

Stop Grimes and your chances improve to win.

Eaglesrus
November 29th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Watch out for GS. Players recruited for spread but excelling at TO. Couple big holes opened up for the fullback dive in last game. W&M allows team to start from 30-40? Special teams huge for GS (as advertised before last game), and starting QB on the mend all are indicators of danger for Tribe. Tribe decent line but TO OL could keep them gassed. Week off advantage would be better for W&M if the SCS game had been closer?

Someone earlier asked about differences between our first 8 games and our last 4, and one of your points goes to that. Our starting B-back (or fullback) is a true freshman, #5 Robert Brown. Earlier he was a little tentative and danced around a little more than he does now. Recently he has hit those holes quickly and with authority.

ButlerGSU
November 29th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Point on .... also we have nothing to lose on Saturday ... expect CM to throw everything he has at it.

That's what most fans don't seem to understand. Georgia Southern shouldn't even be in the playoffs this season with the number of freshmen we have starting for us and the number we have that were never recruited to run this offense. Coach Monken has done great things in his first season and already beat expectations. This additional practice time together can only help our team for the next few years. Coach Lamb was right when he said this is the worst Georgia Southern team you'll see for the next five years.

Georgia Southern has nothing to lose because we are playing on borrowed time right now.

WMTribe90
November 29th, 2010, 10:42 AM
PK Mora is now 14-15 on FG and 38-38 on PAT for the season. He has never missed an extra point in his three years at GSU. The P Edwards leads the nation in net punting and is averaging 41+ yards per punt.

With the exception of UNC, this will likely be the fastest D that WM has faced this season (no offense to other CAA defenses). They won't be the biggest by any means, but they are very quick in the back seven. Brent Russell is, according to SCSU coach Pough, "unblockable." He certainly was that on Saturday, but Russell isn't the only player on GSU D line. Rod Tinsley has become a force as well, and true freshman DE Josh Gebhardt has come out of nowhere and is playing like a freshman AA candidate. GSU lost starting DE Dion Dubose to injury against WCU, but they have adjusted personnel nicely.

UNC defense was faster. JMU's defense is as fast as anyone in I-AA, including GSU, and Delaware's defense has plenty of speed as well. WM played four or five top ten defenses in IAA (UNH, UR, VU, UD and JMU) plus UNC. GSU will be a challenge, but really just more of what we have already seen against the top defenses in the CAA.

GaSouthern
November 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
SCSU tore three jerseys off of brent russell they were hold him so bad trying any way to stop him... with a D-Lineman like that he makes the other three better because the OLine gets focused on him.

(I don't think SCSU was called for holding against russell)

eaglewraith
November 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM
SCSU tore three jerseys off of brent russell they were hold him so bad trying any way to stop him... with a D-Lineman like that he makes the other three better because the OLine gets focused on him.

(I don't think SCSU was called for holding against russell)

One time the whole game.

GaSouthern
November 29th, 2010, 10:51 AM
One time the whole game.

All the girls were making funny comments each time he'd hafta change on the sideline, pretty funny stuff, for Russell to be such a badass he is kinda shy haha.

Eaglesrus
November 29th, 2010, 10:53 AM
One time the whole game.

And it would have been more appropriate to call that a tackle than a hold.

Tribe4SF
November 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM
SCSU o-line was awful in that game. No one even attempted to block Russell on the fumble return play. That o-line stands up and swats at people with their hands getting no leverage. With GSU's switch stunts they had no chance to block them effectively.

blazrdog#1
November 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this....but GO GSU(the real GSU) BEAT THEM DOWN AND SHOW THEM HOW TO PLAY REAL FOOTBALL!!!!

straightshooter
November 29th, 2010, 11:07 AM
UNC defense was faster. JMU's defense is as fast as anyone in I-AA, including GSU, and Delaware's defense has plenty of speed as well. WM played four or five top ten defenses in IAA (UNH, UR, VU, UD and JMU) plus UNC. GSU will be a challenge, but really just more of what we have already seen against the top defenses in the CAA.

I watched some of the CAA games on TV earlier in the year, and quite frankly it looked like two big teams that spent most of the game leaning on each other. The defenses looked much slower than expected. Rest assured, the GSU option will get on you a lot faster than plays run out of the "I" or spread. There won't be much time for the D line to react. They're going to get their knees cut out from under them the whole game, but they will stop a lot of fullback dives or QB keepers for short gains. Where the option gets you is that you've got to be close to perfect on every play. One missed assignment means a long run. Commit to the run and the WR or A back is 10 yards behind the secondary.

I'm sure the WM will be prepared for all of the above, and the smaller GSU OL guys will probably be smashed by the bigger WM defensive front most of the time. Every play doesn't have to go for big gains in the option, but if WM lets down at all, the results won't be good for them.

Tribe4SF
November 29th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I watched some of the CAA games on TV earlier in the year, and quite frankly it looked like two big teams that spent most of the game leaning on each other. The defenses looked much slower than expected. Rest assured, the GSU option will get on you a lot faster than plays run out of the "I" or spread. There won't be much time for the D line to react. They're going to get their knees cut out from under them the whole game, but they will stop a lot of fullback dives or QB keepers for short gains. Where the option gets you is that you've got to be close to perfect on every play. One missed assignment means a long run. Commit to the run and the WR or A back is 10 yards behind the secondary.

I'm sure the WM will be prepared for all of the above, and the smaller GSU OL guys will probably be smashed by the bigger WM defensive front most of the time. Every play doesn't have to go for big gains in the option, but if WM lets down at all, the results won't be good for them.

Some of this stuff is getting downright funny.

eaglewraith
November 29th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this....but GO GSU(the real GSU) BEAT THEM DOWN AND SHOW THEM HOW TO PLAY REAL FOOTBALL!!!!

Oh god....am I the only one that feels kind of dirty with all this support coming from App fans and now blazrdog???

tribefan40
November 29th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Some of this stuff is getting downright funny.

+1. I'm starting to wonder if I need to even bother making the trip to the 'burg this saturday. The defense is impenetrable, the offense is unstoppable, and we play in a conference of slow, weak, poorly coached whimps. Doesn't look good for us.

In all seriousness I expect this to be a great game. I will be surprised if either side dominates, but unless GSU brings their A-game, it will be tough sledding in Zable. Our defense will be more than up to the task and our offense does not make mistakes like I saw from SCSU last week. I'm sure that GSU will have plenty of success and I fully expect them to get their yardage, but as I said in another post, getting in the endzone will be a whole other matter. Looking forward to being there and to a great game! xsmileyclapx

appstate38
November 29th, 2010, 11:42 AM
The Tribe should be favored to win. But there is something about the flex bone that can screw you up in a minute. If you don't play against that type of offense, you are going to have breakdowns.... its just a matter of when and how bad it will cost you. Yes two weeks to prepare for it helps but how much is anybody's guess.

I'll be a homer and pick GSU in the upset special.

Grabholdofyosef
November 29th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I noticed that a few times as well. I never saw it get flagged in the game, so I thought maybe I didnt understand the rule about motion.

Refs are a true crapshoot in the playoffs. I'm hoping for Southland guys. They worked our semi-final at Villanova last year and were very good. Hope it's not MEAC. They are notoriously bad.

Whoever they are I hope they know you can't move forward before the snap when in motion. Saw a couple of those for GSU on Saturday that weren't called. The TO is tough enough without giving guys a head start.

ASUTodd
November 29th, 2010, 01:06 PM
xnodx

CAA teams are known as strong, big, and defensive... GSU is a good defensive team and a good scoring team. I say GSU takes this one, 17-10.

UncleSam
November 29th, 2010, 01:15 PM
It is amazing how a lopsided win over a bumbling, inpet and over-rated South Carolina St squad has turned GSU into a flex bone juggernaut.

CropDuster
November 29th, 2010, 01:18 PM
It is amazing how a lopsided win over a bumbling, inpet and over-rated South Carolina St squad has turned GSU into a flex bone juggernaut.

Funny, I don't see where anybody has said that. We beat them like a playoff Socon team should. If there is anything to brag about it would be spotting App a 14-0 lead and scoring 21 unanswered, and holding the Navy juggernaut to 13 points.

ASUTodd
November 29th, 2010, 01:19 PM

No I think their win over us did. SC State just shows they deserve to be here... However, we would like a rematch in the Championship game... I hope that all the teams take GSU for granted and get the same humbling reception that we did.... Good luck!

GSC75
November 29th, 2010, 02:12 PM

oh gawd...... uh... nevermind all that - GSU is certainly not back - you will not face the same GSU offense that had run up 6 flags on the pole - but you will see a glimmer..... and we've been in a very dark hole for a long time - you will see a young offense and a lot of underclassmen ... the D is pretty good and if you think #66 is going "unblocked" because of a poor O line...well... you just keep thinking that... in most cases he's double-teamed. Thing about the TO - stuff, 4yds, 3 yds and on fourth down, usually 8 or more...it's fun to watch if we're clicking.... i have also seen us clack - good bunch of kids who will play their hearts out..... might even win. Good luck to W & M.... heh ... heh... heh...

ASUG8
November 29th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Trust me - if Will & Mary get off to a strong start, the Eagles certainly know how to make effective halftime adjustments - they seem young and inexperienced but are playing some solid ball, hitting their stride at the right time. They have to be underdogs, but I certainly wouldn't take them lightly given the fits they've given some good teams this season.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 29th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I will be surprised if either side dominates.

That is basically what myself and pretty much every other GSU fan is saying. Don't know where in this thread you read where anyone thinks GSU will win in a rout. Some folks (like Uncle Sam) seem to think GSU won't keep it close because we aren't in the great and powerful CAA, and that's basically the only reason they think that. Those folks need to remember JMU thought they'd run over Wofford in '08, and it didn't happen. Also, Richmond thought they'd run Elon off the field last year, and that didn't happen, either. The top SoCon teams have consistantly competed well with the top CAAs, and I don't see this game being any different. I fully expect a good game between top of the top 10 teams in the country.

parr90
November 29th, 2010, 04:55 PM
+1. I'm starting to wonder if I need to even bother making the trip to the 'burg this saturday. The defense is impenetrable, the offense is unstoppable, and we play in a conference of slow, weak, poorly coached whimps. Doesn't look good for us.

In all seriousness I expect this to be a great game. I will be surprised if either side dominates, but unless GSU brings their A-game, it will be tough sledding in Zable. Our defense will be more than up to the task and our offense does not make mistakes like I saw from SCSU last week. I'm sure that GSU will have plenty of success and I fully expect them to get their yardage, but as I said in another post, getting in the endzone will be a whole other matter. Looking forward to being there and to a great game! xsmileyclapx

Well you wont get that talk from me, I for one am worried and know that W&M has a damn good football team. Our front 4 and line backers are good but if we have a hard time getting in your backfield it could be a long day for us. One thing that will freak some defenses out is the first time they line up against our O. Their splits are so wide that when you line up for the first time your like " Holy *****". You cant tell from the stands, you have to be on the field to know what im talking about. Should be a great game.

tribefan40
November 29th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Don't know where in this thread you read where anyone thinks GSU will win in a rout.

Seriously? It's all over this thread. Not sure where in my thread I said that anyone in williamsburg is taking this game lightly. Come on man lighten up and enjoy the times. Got to love the playoffs! xhurrayx

GATA
November 29th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I can't figure out why a W&M fan would bother showing up either...

One: You're W&M...why would you even pay money for those tickets?

Two: You've already lost this game and you don't even know it...take the kids to the zoo or something. Don't waste your time and money. It's a recession. Spend wisely.

GATA
November 29th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Seriously? It's all over this thread. Not sure where in my thread I said that anyone in williamsburg is taking this game lightly. Come on man lighten up and enjoy the times. Got to love the playoffs! xhurrayx

amen brother.

The amount of politically correct nonsense I'm seeing is shocking. One of the great things about the playoffs is making ridiculous boasts about how awesome your football team is... and then sitting back and watching as people get upset when you're clearly exaggerating and being over the top on purpose. Get with the program.

tribefan40
November 29th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Two: You've already lost this game and you don't even know it...take the kids to the zoo or something. Don't waste your time and money. It's a recession. Spend wisely.

pwns - Exhibit A. xthumbsupx

Nebuta
November 29th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Ga Southern looks like world beaters in their 1st round game against SC State. The eagles are hot. Their running game looks like they are the best in the nation. SoCon is just too impressive this year. I will be suprised if Tribe even puts up a fight because the CAA is down this year. W&M has been winning with smoke and mirrors year. I would be suprised if W&M tribe even show up for the game. The tribe should just forfeit now to save face. <dripping with sarcasm>

We will see after Saturday. Go Tribe! There is a reason they are #2 seed.

VUCats02
November 29th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Ga Southern looks like world beaters in their 1st round game against SC State. The eagles are hot. Their running game looks like they are the best in the nation. SoCon is just too impressive this year. I will be suprised if Tribe even puts up a fight because the CAA is down this year. W&M has been winning with smoke and mirrors year. I would be suprised if W&M tribe even show up for the game. The tribe should just forfeit now to save face.

We will see after Saturday. Go Tribe! There is a reason they are #2 seed.

I really disagree with you. I expect both teams to be playing their best football and I expect W&M's defense to be very very good.

I-16Bandit
November 29th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Oh god....am I the only one that feels kind of dirty with all this support coming from App fans and now blazrdog???

No sir. Feels good, but weird. This game needs to get here fast. I'm dying of anticipation.

ASU_MBA
November 29th, 2010, 06:39 PM
The GaSouthern D is for real and should give W&M fits all day...I was in Statesboro when they beat ASU in OT....This GSU team is tough and the defense plays lights out...

If Jaybo plays I like the Eagles in a close one....defending the run out of the I or pro-set is one thing.....defending the triple option when you never see it is another....

Jaybo will keep the Tribe more honest without Jaybo it may be a long day.

Oh Tribe fans remember the name Russell....Grimes will meet him a lot on Saturday...

Go Ga Southern....I will be pulling for you

Make the SoCon proud!

MacThor
November 29th, 2010, 07:18 PM
JMU thought they'd run over Wofford in '08, and it didn't happen. Also, Richmond thought they'd run Elon off the field last year, and that didn't happen, either.

Huh? Were you reading our minds the last two years? If you recall, JMU & Richmond were both po'd that they were seeds and got the toughest OOC first round matchup possible.

TwoFeathers
November 29th, 2010, 07:30 PM

I think GSU leads the FCS in punting. W&M has a strong punting game also.

TwoFeathers
November 29th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I interrupt some of this nonsense only to throw another vote to Paul's Deli. Although I've only been there with a mixed group of W&M and JMU fans, it's a quality establishment and you are treated well...particularly after you start a tab on a company credit card... :)

Second that... Try the Hot Holly (sub).

TwoFeathers
November 29th, 2010, 07:46 PM

I'm thinking W&M's strategy will be to strike early and get a lead with a few big plays. Maybe force GSU to throw the ball a little. But any mistakes ie. turnovers by W&M will be hard to recover with a ball control, clock control offense like GSU.

TwoFeathers
November 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Funny, I don't see where anybody has said that. We beat them like a playoff Socon team should. If there is anything to brag about it would be spotting App a 14-0 lead and scoring 21 unanswered, and holding the Navy juggernaut to 13 points.

Yep, two impressive games.

TwoFeathers
November 29th, 2010, 07:52 PM

Here he goes again... want to talk about GA Southern's third round game again? That kind of blabbering will jinx your boys.

I-16Bandit
November 29th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I think GSU leads the FCS in punting. W&M has a strong punting game also.

I do believe that you are right about GSU.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/ncaa-m-footbl-fcs-team-net-punting.html

heath
November 29th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I think this could be low scoring?.......over/under at 30, any thoughts

bullseye44
November 29th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I think this could be low scoring?.......over/under at 30, any thoughts I'd take the over. Most teams who aren't used to playing us take a bit to adjust to our offense, which moves the ball well. I suspect we'll have the same issues adjusting to GSU's option attack. Look for both teams to get a couple of TDs in the first half, with the better halftime adjustments getting the win by a TD.

Nebuta
November 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I really disagree with you. I expect both teams to be playing their best football and I expect W&M's defense to be very very good.

sorry should have put <dripping with sarcasm>

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 29th, 2010, 10:09 PM
http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2010&org=786

What's up with W&M not being first in the nation or even the CAA in any category? Not hating or talking smack, I just think that's kinda odd.

soccerguy315
November 29th, 2010, 10:28 PM

What's up with W&M not being first in the nation or even the CAA in any category? Not hating or talking smack, I just think that's kinda odd.

this isn't a serious post, right? lol

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2010, 05:43 AM

You will see odd when Chase Hill torches your secondary

blueballs
November 30th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I'd take the over. Most teams who aren't used to playing us take a bit to adjust to our offense, which moves the ball well. I suspect we'll have the same issues adjusting to GSU's option attack. Look for both teams to get a couple of TDs in the first half, with the better halftime adjustments getting the win by a TD.

This and whoever get the turnovers and takes advantage of them.

UncleSam
November 30th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I watched some of the CAA games on TV earlier in the year, and quite frankly it looked like two big teams that spent most of the game leaning on each other. The defenses looked much slower than expected.

Apparently your TV is in need of an adjustment.

straightshooter
November 30th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Apparently your TV is in need of an adjustment.

Nope. Just used to seeing more speed on the field. By the way, WM wasn't one of the teams I watched, so don't get your panties in such a wad. There are lots of teams in the CAA and my response was to the blanket comment that so many teams in the conference have great defenses. The WM D might be lightning fast. We'll find out Saturday.

LeadBolt
November 30th, 2010, 11:16 AM

I don't think you realize how many injuries W&M had to deal with this year and how the coaching staff changed game plans to accommodate different personnel and styles of play on a week to week basis. Players and styles of game plans changed more radically for W&M than for any other team still in the playoffs.

The Richmond game was the first time that many of these injured players were able to play at a 90+% level and play their type of game this year since the Delaware game in midseason. These adjustments led to putting up stats in one catagory one week and another the next and nothing consistent.

straightshooter
November 30th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I don't think you realize how many injuries W&M had to deal with this year and how the coaching staff changed game plans to accommodate different personnel and styles of play on a week to week basis. Players and styles of game plans changed more radically for W&M than for any other team still in the playoffs.

The Richmond game was the first time that many of these injured players were able to play at a 90+% level and play their type of game this year since the Delaware game in midseason. These adjustments led to putting up stats in one catagory one week and another the next and nothing consistent.

Same with GSU. Lots of injuries at key positions scattered throughout the season on O and D. A number of starters missed games, including the losses. We did without QB Shaw for a good bit of time. Monken will never use that as an excuse for not playing well in a game, but when you're plugging true freshmen into a slot held by a veteran player, there will be a drop off. Monken says that whoever the next guy is will have to perform at a high level. That's what is expected at GSU.

LeadBolt
November 30th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Same with GSU. Lots of injuries at key positions scattered throughout the season on O and D. A number of starters missed games, including the losses. We did without QB Shaw for a good bit of time. Monken will never use that as an excuse for not playing well in a game, but when you're plugging true freshmen into a slot held by a veteran player, there will be a drop off. Monken says that whoever the next guy is will have to perform at a high level. That's what is expected at GSU.

Same with Laycocke and W&M. My comment was to the GSU poster pointing out that W&M doesn't lead FCS or CAA in any department explaining why that is the case and is why I copied his post. No excuses. We played 5 different QB's this year due to injury, not crying, just saying thats why none have great stats. Grimes was slowed with injuries much of season, that is why his stats don't live up to past. Playing true freshmen on D inplace of injured starters as well as you.

It should be a h@!! of a game. Hope we are ready for your O. I'm going to have to watch this one on the internet here in GA, wish I was going to be there....

straightshooter
November 30th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Teams that don't see that offense much tend to struggle with it. The SoCon now has three teams running the option, so they are a bit better prepared than most conferences. The biggest difference between the traditional offenses, spread offense and the TO is the speed of the attack at the line of scrimmage. The FB is lined up three yards behind the ball instead of seven, so the reaction time for the DL is less than half. The misdirection gets the body stepping one way and having to correct to move the other way. Very disciplined defenses or those with superior personnel handle it well, but if the offensive players are clicking, it's very hard to slow down. I'm looking forward to the "chess match."

appstate38
November 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM
The real question that has gone unanswered from my SoCon brethen.... Will you bring some water from Eagle Creek to sprinkle on the field before kickoff???