PDA

View Full Version : Bayou Classic, or I-AA Playoffs?

DFW HOYA
November 27th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Grambling State pulling away amidst more than a few empty seats in the upper deck of the Superdome...but this game still gets 10x the attention than the playoff games are getting.

If the NCAA doesn't take it seriously, why should the networks?

GAD
November 27th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Possibly, SU's worst season ever alot of people just didn't want to go this year

MplsBison
November 27th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Grambling State pulling away amidst more than a few empty seats in the upper deck of the Superdome...but this game still gets 10x the attention than the playoff games are getting.

I think you have it backwards. Networks put the "classic" between SU and GU on broadcast because they know it will get ratings roughly equivalent to Army v Navy.

If FCS playoffs got those kind of ratings, they'd be on the broadcast networks too.

NCAA would take all the money it could squeeze out of FCS, DII and DIII playoffs - as is they probably end up losing quite a bit of money on every national playoff they put on with the exception of men's bball and men's ice hockey.

DFW HOYA
November 27th, 2010, 03:34 PM
The NCAA does not take the playoffs seriously. That's a given.

(PS: It also makes money on men's lacrosse.)

GAD
November 27th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I think you have it backwards. Networks put the "classic" between SU and GU on broadcast because they know it will get ratings roughly equivalent to Army v Navy.

If FCS playoffs got those kind of ratings, they'd be on the broadcast networks too.

NCAA would take all the money it could squeeze out of FCS, DII and DIII playoffs - as is they probably end up losing quite a bit of money on every national playoff they put on with the exception of men's bball and men's ice hockey.

Been trying to explain that for years on this board

MplsBison
November 27th, 2010, 03:39 PM
The NCAA does not take the playoffs seriously. That's a given.

(PS: It also makes money on men's lacrosse.)

Because you say so? Explain how they don't take them seriously?

Should the NCAA being forcing the big networks to televise every FCS playoff game as part of the deal for March Madness? What else could the NCAA do?

I also don't believe that the NCAA makes money on the national men's Lacrosse tournament, overall. Not just the championship game/semis. Remember they have to pay all the travel expenses of those teams in the tournament.

DFW HOYA
November 27th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Should the NCAA being forcing the big networks to televise every FCS playoff game as part of the deal for March Madness? What else could the NCAA do? I also don't believe that the NCAA makes money on the national men's Lacrosse tournament, overall. Not just the championship game/semis. Remember they have to pay all the travel expenses of those teams in the tournament.

Two points:

1. They could negotiate playoff games in the ESPN TV contract, as they do in men's lacrosse. Broadcasting games only via the NCAA online channel still involves considerable production costs but very little viewership.
2. Lacrosse travel is limited owing to the regional nature of the seed locations. The semifinal/championship packages range from $75-130 a seat, per the NCAA site. (When they're drawing 40-50,000 at M&T Bank Stadium, that pays some bills. The 2010 semis drew 44,389, the 2007 semis there topped 50,000.)

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-lacros/champpage/inc/div1/m-lacros-div1-tickets2011.html

Twentysix
November 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Two points:

1. They could negotiate playoff games in the ESPN TV contract, as they do in men's lacrosse. Broadcasting games only via the NCAA online channel still involves considerable production costs but very little viewership.
2. Lacrosse travel is limited owing to the regional nature of the seed locations. The semifinal/championship packages range from $75-130 a seat, per the NCAA site. (When they're drawing 40-50,000 at M&T Bank Stadium, that pays some bills. The 2010 semis drew 44,389, the 2007 semis there topped 50,000.)

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-lacros/champpage/inc/div1/m-lacros-div1-tickets2011.html

Both lacross and hockey are......stupid.. watch a real sport.

LeopardFan04
November 27th, 2010, 04:18 PM
That's a brilliant and productive response.

Twentysix
November 27th, 2010, 04:19 PM
That's a brilliant and productive response.

<3

MplsBison
November 27th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Two points:

Ok, I suppose men's lacrosse could make money overall for the NCAA. I suppose that matches the regional fandom of that sport with the likes of men's ice hockey.

So if the NCAA got ESPN to broadcast every game of the FCS playoffs, that would be taking it serious...but as is, with only half of the playoffs on ESPN, that's not serious?

I think you're being a little unrealistic. There are major BCS games going on this weekend and next weekend. No way in a million years that ESPN is going to broadcast FCS playoff games over those....ratings just aren't there. Sorry!

MplsBison
November 27th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Both lacross and hockey are......stupid.. watch a real sport.

Could a mod please change his avatar and signature pictures to something not associated with NDSU? We don't want people who post such unintelligent statements (and thus obviously did not attend NDSU) to be associated with our university. Thanks!

WestCoastAggie
November 27th, 2010, 04:56 PM

At this point, I just want to a game where a MEAC rep has a shot to win.

TexasTerror
November 27th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Bayou Classic had 42-43k fans in attendance...

And Grambling needs the Bayou Classic to stay afloat. They just cut a few sports and lost one of their most successful coaches to a 'lower level' of NCAA competition because of pay. Grambling and ULM - both within a stone's throw of each other, pay some of the worst salaries amongst their comparable schools... sans football in the case of Grambling...

BlueHenSinfonian
November 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM

Should the NCAA being forcing the big networks to televise every FCS playoff game as part of the deal for March Madness? What else could the NCAA do?

That's not a bad idea. The NCAA should also stipulate that 'classic' games played at the same time as playoff games not be televised.

Also, while no slight against Lacrosse intended, how does that championship draw a bigger crowd than the football championship?

mikebigg
November 27th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Bayou Classic had 42-43k fans in attendance...

And Grambling needs the Bayou Classic to stay afloat. They just cut a few sports and lost one of their most successful coaches to a 'lower level' of NCAA competition because of pay. Grambling and ULM - both within a stone's throw of each other, pay some of the worst salaries amongst their comparable schools... sans football in the case of Grambling...

Sad!

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 27th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Also, while no slight against Lacrosse intended, how does that championship draw a bigger crowd than the football championship?

Easy, because it is the single most important event for the highest level competition in America's fastest growing sport and its played in the very heart of a small but diehard and cult-like fans. And the football "championship" game is played between a couple of little-known schools with small fanbases while 120 of the best, largest, and most supported schools choose not to participate.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 27th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Easy, because it is the single most important event for the highest level competition in America's fastest growing sport played in the very heart of a small but diehard and cult-like fanbase. And the football "championship" game is played between a couple of little-known schools with small fanbases while 120 of the best, largest, and most supported schools choose not to participate?

While FBS schools tend to have larger enrollments than FCS schools, I'd wager that the number of FCS alumni in the country aren't that far off from the number of FBS alumni. FCS schools are fairly well spread out across the country as well, and it's likely that a lot of FBS fans with no direct history with the school they support are actually closer to a FCS school. The BS BCS championship may draw attention from the true Div I football champsionship, but it shouldn't. The FCS is making strides every year, and given that football is much, much, much more popular amongst the general sports fan population than lacrosse, yes, it is surprising that that game outdraws the Division I football championship.

WestCoastAggie
November 27th, 2010, 09:06 PM
While FBS schools tend to have larger enrollments than FCS schools, I'd wager that the number of FCS alumni in the country aren't that far off from the number of FBS alumni. FCS schools are fairly well spread out across the country as well, and it's likely that a lot of FBS fans with no direct history with the school they support are actually closer to a FCS school. The BS BCS championship may draw attention from the true Div I football champsionship, but it shouldn't. The FCS is making strides every year, and given that football is much, much, much more popular amongst the general sports fan population than lacrosse, yes, it is surprising that that game outdraws the Division I football championship.

If interest in FCS football was there, the Playoffs would be on Broadcast TV.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 27th, 2010, 09:10 PM
If interest in FCS football was there, the Playoffs would be on Broadcast TV.

People need to get exposed to get intersted. Put it on TV and people will start to watch, and start to care. The FCS does need to do a better job marketing itself in general. Too many people still see it as being closer to Div II than as on the same level as all but the very top echelon of FBS.

The basketball comment from earlier makes sense though - a lot of FCS football schools have very strong basketball programs, the ADs and coaches from those programs need to lobby the NCAA and ESPN to put the FCS games on TV for the world to see and use the basketball TV contracts as leverage.

MplsBison
November 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
People need to get exposed to get intersted. Put it on TV and people will start to watch, and start to care. The FCS does need to do a better job marketing itself in general. Too many people still see it as being closer to Div II than as on the same level as all but the very top echelon of FBS.

The basketball comment from earlier makes sense though - a lot of FCS football schools have very strong basketball programs, the ADs and coaches from those programs need to lobby the NCAA and ESPN to put the FCS games on TV for the world to see and use the basketball TV contracts as leverage.

The general public on cares about FCS schools when they have a chance to beat the big schools, hence March Madness.

When it's just FCS schools playing each other...it might as well be DII or DIII.

GaSouthern
November 27th, 2010, 09:20 PM
The "classics" have their market, the playoffs have theirs, both want different things out of the competiton on the field.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 27th, 2010, 09:40 PM

The NCAA Lacrosse Final Four is the single biggest event of the year for the entire sports. Every lacrosse fan, even casual followers like my self, watch it - and many attend. It is hardly suprising that lacrosse's flagship event would outdraw a football game between Montana and Villanova. The FCS playoffs have only beat the most minor of bowl games on TV when Appalachian is involved - and App shouldn't even be playing in the FCS.

Sorry, but the "NCAA Division I Championship" is only a name, and no one outside these boards beleives its really the Division I championship when the best Division I teams do not participate. Now, if the lacrosse final outdrew the BCS National Championship, that would be a suprise because, flawed as it may be, the BCS National Championship does feature two of the best college football teams in the country.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 27th, 2010, 09:45 PM
People need to get exposed to get intersted. Put it on TV and people will start to watch, and start to care.

Sorry, there are CAA, SoCon, and Big South games broadcast on my TV every week. And you know, unless App is playing, I'd rather watch an SEC or Big 12 game. If someone who follows an FCS school would rather watch an FBS game, why would casual fans watch?

BlueHenSinfonian
November 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Sorry, there are CAA, SoCon, and Big South games broadcast on my TV every week. And you know, unless App is playing, I'd rather watch an SEC or Big 12 game. If someone who follows an FCS school would rather watch an FBS game, why would casual fans watch?

You're lucky that you have all of those games available to you. I don't see any FCS games broadcast here, except for the occasional MEAC Florida team classic, which doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. FBS football doesn't hold any interest to me unless it is a game vs an FCS team. I can understand someone who went to Ohio State being an Ohio State fan, they should be. But why wouldn't someone with no connection to OSU living closer to Youngstown be a YSU fan instead? I'd love to see the FBS and FCS merge and the Div I football champion be crowned by a playoff open to all just like in basketball. The quality of football you see in FCS can be just as good as any FBS game, with the added bonus of no football factory schools polluting the legitimacy of the entire subdivision.

DFW HOYA
November 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Sorry, there are CAA, SoCon, and Big South games broadcast on my TV every week.

And in states west of say, Tennessee, I-AA games are largely non-existent on TV.

That, and the whereabouts of the "Patriot League TV Network", but that's another topic.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I'd love to see the FBS and FCS merge and the Div I football champion be crowned by a playoff open to all just like in basketball.

I like the first part of this except that a single football playoff for over 250 schools is completely unworkable.

The quality of football you see in FCS can be just as good as any FBS game

No offense or anything, but this is just incorrect.

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Second-lowest attendance... the only time lower was two years ago (2008)... this game is slipping to some degree...

ATTENDANCE DECLINE: Attendance for Saturday’s game was 43,494, the second-lowest figure in the history of the Bayou Classic.

It was the third time the Classic’s attendance was less than 50,000. The smallest attendance for the Bayou Classic was 25,873 in 2008, a 29-14 Grambling victory.

http://www.nola.com/bayouclassic/index.ssf/2010/11/grambling_state_caps_southerns.html

mikebigg
November 28th, 2010, 07:33 AM
That's not a bad idea. The NCAA should also stipulate that 'classic' games played at the same time as playoff games not be televised.

Okay, See them in court!

TSUalum05
November 28th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Second-lowest attendance... the only time lower was two years ago (2008)... this game is slipping to some degree...

I would love to have my university's attendance slip to 40k for a FCS game. 40k butts in the seats is awesome, no matter where previous levels were.

SO ILLmatic
November 28th, 2010, 07:54 AM

M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore - Cap. 71,000
Foxboro Stadium, Cap. 60,000

Finley Stadium - Cap. 20,600
Pizza Hut Park - Cap 20,500

SO ILLmatic
November 28th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Even though both games are on the same weekend as the D1 national championship, the D2 game even got 20,000 people to be inside of M&T Stadium in 2010.

Couldn't find the D3 Lax attend.

Back to the original question - playoffs for the competitive nature, classic for monetary & historic reasons.

TSUalum05
November 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM
ATTENDANCE DECLINE: Attendance for Saturday’s game was 43,494, the second-lowest figure in the history of the Bayou Classic.

It was the third time the Classic’s attendance was less than 50,000. The smallest attendance for the Bayou Classic was 25,873 in 2008, a 29-14 Grambling victory.

http://www.nola.com/bayouclassic/index.ssf/2010/11/grambling_state_caps_southerns.html

That writer was incorrect with his 25k number as the lowest attended Bayou Classic. According to SWAC.org the 2008 game was 59,874 in attendance.

According to the Advocate:

There was disappointment in the stands, as evidenced by the acres of empty seats in the top half of the Superdome. Saturday’s game happened before a crowd of 43,494 — the smallest crowd in the history of the Bayou Classic, easily falling short of the previous low of 47,136 in 2006, the game’s first year back in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.
http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/110925239.html?showAll=y&c=y

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM
That writer was incorrect with his 25k number as the lowest attended Bayou Classic. According to SWAC.org the 2008 game was 59,874 in attendance.

If you can not believe the media, who are you going to believe? ;) Wonder if the Times Picayune went off actual butts in the seats and what the Superdome PR person (an employed SMG employee) reported to them, instead of what the SIDs reported to the SWAC, NCAA.

Sometimes the actual attendance and that reported - sometimes, who am I kidding? - are far different numbers.

Hard to tell... afterall, TSPN more than any other fan board, criticizes the numbers every single week!

TSUalum05
November 28th, 2010, 11:35 AM
If you can not believe the media, who are you going to believe? ;) Wonder if the Times Picayune went off actual butts in the seats and what the Superdome PR person (an employed SMG employee) reported to them...

Media? Who do we believe since there are differing accounts from two media sources for the 2008 game?

Over four madcap quarters, before 59,874 football fans, Grambling climbed out of a hole and dominated the second half by playing its brand of football — with a hard-hitting, turnover-forcing defense and an opportunistic quarterback in Greg Dillon, who made key plays at key moments and sent the Tigers into the Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship Game.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/35268959.html?showAll=y&c=y

2008 was a year when SU and GSU was fighting for 1st place...There's no way in hell that those two schools fighting for first or second place would only have 25,873...Especially with SU's fanbase.

Frankly, neither one of us was there, what does it matter? Even if it were 25k, that's still a number I would want at any of our games. Not too many FCS schools reach 25k...