PDA

View Full Version : Western Illinois vs. Appalachian State

theasushow
November 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Saturday at the Rock. Noon start time. WIU will have to play better against ASU than they did Coastal to stand a chance...17 points wont get it done. But ASU has historically struggled in the opening round (see Lafayette in '05, JMU in 07, and SCSU the past 2 years). ASU by 14+

Grabholdofyosef
November 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I think ED Gainey may be suspended because he was ejected for fighting against Florida. Anyone know his status? A few guys sat out banged up against FLorida. Will ASU get those guys back? The past two years, ASU has gone into the playoffs banged up. Hopefully they will be fully rested and ready to roll.

GlassOnion
November 27th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Gainey can play in the 2nd Qtr, and I believe both safeties are listed as day 2 day. Considering Legree was d2d vrs. Florida, I imagine he will be available. This week off was much needed.

AshevilleApp
November 27th, 2010, 03:38 PM
If I'm WIU I throw and throw and throw....Key will be the pressure that the App DL can get

AppMAN04
November 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Bring on the Leathernecks ..lol .. They are about to experience the greatness that is Boone NC ... Welcome to the Rock WIU!

GlassOnion
November 27th, 2010, 03:46 PM
From what I saw today, our d-line runs about as fast as their skill players...

theasushow
November 27th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Bring on the Leathernecks ..lol .. They are about to experience the greatness that is Boone NC ... Welcome to the Rock WIU!

WIU got to play in front of a stellar 4500 today....lets see how they do when you add around 20,000 to that. (hopefully)

Twentysix
November 27th, 2010, 03:58 PM
WIU got to play in front of a stellar 4500 today....lets see how they do when you add around 20,000 to that. (hopefully)

They are our home coming team.. its not gonna be that much of a difference. 18701 at NDSU v WIU this year. 24000 is more but its also outside.

And they played purdue.

theasushow
November 27th, 2010, 04:01 PM
They are our home coming team.. its not gonna be that much of a difference. 18701 at NDSU v WIU this year. 24000 is more but its also outside.

And they played purdue.

you're right...kidd brewer poses no homefield advantage in the playoffs.

Twentysix
November 27th, 2010, 04:03 PM

Didnt say that, but you acted like Costal Carolinas crowd is the biggest theyve played against. I have no doubts that ASU will probably win. I dont think your stadium will matter much. It could be at WIU and ASU would still win.

Mountaineer
November 27th, 2010, 04:04 PM

That's not what he said. Let's not pretend that there's going to be 20,000+ fans packed in next week because that won't be the case. App has only drawn that amount once - Richmond in 2007.

More likely to see around 15K and plenty of empty seats in the stands.

darell1976
November 27th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Just curious...when was the last time App St was not in the playoffs at all?

GlassOnion
November 27th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Just curious...when was the last time App St was not in the playoffs at all?

2004, the year before the 3 peat.

theasushow
November 27th, 2010, 04:20 PM
That's not what he said. Let's not pretend that there's going to be 20,000+ fans packed in next week because that won't be the case. App has only drawn that amount once - Richmond in 2007.

More likely to see around 15K and plenty of empty seats in the stands.

any way you put it, it will be a big difference playing a PLAYOFF game in KBS and not at Coastal (there looked like there were about 500 people in the far stands when the camera panned out)....and we can always hope for 20,000, but i know it isn't likely.

Mountaineer
November 27th, 2010, 04:29 PM
For any WIU fans making the trip, here are some links to start out with:

Mountaineer Message Board (http://forums.delphiforums.com/appstate)

Maps of campus and surroundings (http://maps.appstate.edu/)

Kidd Brewer Stadium (http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204989181) - Directions, seating chart, FAQ, etc.

Tailgate at The Rock (http://www.tailgateattherock.com/) - Gameday, parking, FAQ, etc.

Boone Convention & Visitors Bureau (http://www.visitboonenc.com/) - Lodging, restaurants, things to do, etc.

Boone Chamber of Commerce (http://www.boonechamber.com/)

Boone Deals (http://www.boonedeals.com/) - Food and drink specials, liquor prices, etc.

Mountaineer
November 27th, 2010, 04:31 PM
it will be a big difference playing a PLAYOFF game in KBS

Until everyone clears out after halftime. xlolx But okay.

theasushow
November 27th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Until everyone clears out after halftime. xlolx But okay.

yeah we have generated a good amount of spoiled fans, but hopefully if they are leaving at halftime it's because ASU has the game in hand. it is obvious and unfortunate that the 11-1 playoff record ASU has posted at home in the past 5 seasons has been in front of subpar crowds by KBS standards.

WIU02
November 27th, 2010, 04:58 PM
We played poorly today and came out with the W. We haven't had back to back bad games this year...so expect Barr to throw all over your banged up secondary, baby!

charliej
November 27th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Gainey can play in the 2nd Qtr, and I believe both safeties are listed as day 2 day. Considering Legree was d2d vrs. Florida, I imagine he will be available. This week off was much needed.

I believe the suspension for fighting is a half game....could be wrong tho.

gasoutherneagle
November 27th, 2010, 05:05 PM
YEAH... didn't read any of the previous post. CrAppy State by a lot! They ARE damn good. Don't tell anyone I picked'em. shhhhh.

WIU02
November 27th, 2010, 05:07 PM

It was for the Auburn players yesterday. Unless FCS has a different suspension rule, it's a half. Is this Gainey character a thug?

Skjellyfetti
November 27th, 2010, 05:23 PM

He has to sit out until the point in the game he was ejected. He was ejected with ~13 minutes to play in 2nd quarter... so at that point in the game he will be eligible. Coaches may hold him out longer, though.

ThompsonThe
November 27th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Just shows how uninterested they are about the playoffs. Evidently they want to go into the FBS and play similar schools instead of freezing their a$$es off watching some of the 20,000,000 playoff teams. Sounds like a pretty good choice. Hope App St goes FBS soon.

james_lawfirm
November 27th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Just shows how uninterested they are about the playoffs. Evidently they want to go into the FBS and play similar schools instead of freezing their a$$es off watching some of the 20,000,000 playoff teams. Sounds like a pretty good choice. Hope App St goes FBS soon.

And your post relates to this thread exactly how?

theasushow
November 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM
And your post relates to this thread exactly how?

i spent like an hour trying to figure that out ahahah. he should have pasted the quote he was referring to.

james_lawfirm
November 27th, 2010, 07:25 PM
We played poorly today and came out with the W. We haven't had back to back bad games this year...so expect Barr to throw all over your banged up secondary, baby!

Wow! I saw some of the Coastal Car. game. It appeared to me that WIU's QB was good. But, overall, there appeared to be little team speed. Did not see much on O or D. App has speed everywhere. With all due respect, I saw little in WIU that worried me.

And, you may very well throw all over our secondary. But, maybe not. First, you'll have to avoid the rush, #54 is pretty good at DE. Then, the blitz, especially #9 at MLB. And, our DB #13 has a good number of interceptions this year.

If WIU's D can hold App to under 20, I'll be the first to tell you I'd be surprised.

BTW, we do real well against teams in PURPLE, especially those directional schools starting with "Western".

But, let me also add, welcome to the Rock! I hope all Leatherneck fans who come to Boone enjoy themselves at Kidd Brewer Stadium & the surroundings. Should be absolutely fabulous football weather (of course, any type of weather will be good for football in December in Boone!). I hate Noon kickoffs, BUT, I am sure you can find many friendly tailgates, both before & after the game.

proasu89
November 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM
It was for the Auburn players yesterday. Unless FCS has a different suspension rule, it's a half. Is this Gainey character a thug?

He's a good kid, pretty fond of himself, but not a thug. Ed got caught up in the moment, retaliated and both players got ejected.

theasushow
November 27th, 2010, 07:42 PM
He's a good kid, pretty fond of himself, but not a thug. Ed got caught up in the moment, retaliated and both players got ejected.

I didnt realize that being ejected from a game classified one as a "thug".

proasu89
November 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I didnt realize that being ejected from a game classified one as a "thug".

He was packin...and wearing colors. :p

james_lawfirm
November 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM

I understand your question, but there are no thugs on App's team. App has been guilty of a number of personal fouls this season, but it appears to me to be more a function of taunting & junk coming from the opposition first. I expect that the coaches will do their best to preach that retaliation will not get us anywhere in the playoffs. I would be shocked to see much response from App other than pointing to the scoreboard if such behavior occurs in the playoffs.

Ed Gainey is a 2nd team All SoCon DB. Good kid. I was at the Florida game. I did not see what happened to get him ejected. As far as I know, Gainey has never been ejected before, and I cannot even recall another personal foul called against him (he's a Sr. - I think). There were two versions of the event. Florida's side said Gainey started it & the Florida WR #9 retaliated. A poster on the App message board said he saw Florida's #9 start the fight & Gainey retaliated. They were both tossed with about 2 minutes gone in the 3rd qtr.

And, I think the SoCon rule is that an ejected player must sit an entire game. (I heard that the SEC does not have a similar rule, but I don't know that for sure.) The SoCon somehow figures that "entire game" by counting the time missed from the game in which he was ejected & then he must also sit the first part of the next game until the same point in the 2nd game. In other words, Gainey can come back in with about 2 minutes gone in the 3rd. That's not to say Coach will send him in them. It remains to be seen what punishment Coach Moore deems appropriate.

Houndawg
November 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM

ASU wins going away. The MVC is way, way down this year.

crunifan
November 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Good luck Western! Try and make up for UNI's huge egg against Lehigh. Play with the fire you guys had last week and it could be a game!

charliej
November 27th, 2010, 08:25 PM
He has to sit out until the point in the game he was ejected. He was ejected with ~13 minutes to play in 2nd quarter... so at that point in the game he will be eligible. Coaches may hold him out longer, though.

Found this from NCAA rulebook.... Disqualification for the
remainder of the game and the first half of the next game
[S7, S27 or S38, and S47]. For fights that occur in the last
game of a season, squad members in uniform, coaches and
players with eligibility remaining will serve fight-related
suspensions during the first game of the next season for
which they are eligible.

Had no idea it could carry into next season.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2010, 09:49 PM

agree with all that

Twentysix
November 27th, 2010, 10:03 PM

When pat paschall was flagged for fighting it was a whole game.

leatherneck177
November 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM

Take it easy on the attendance factor. Yes it will be a very tough environment, but it's not like Western hasn't experienced large crowds before. Pull up the attendance all you want, but this team tends to play up and unfortunately down to the competition.

DJKyR0
November 27th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I said earlier that playing App State at home is a fate I wouldn't wish on anyone but a UND fan, but I think WIU has a better-than-average shot in this one. I've got nothing but respect for Matt Barr and the success he's brought this team as the QB and continue to be impressed with the 'necks's turnaround from last year's 1-10 record. Need to pick App State but man, WIU is a nasty team to play.

GSUwinsagain
November 27th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Good luck ASU, make the Socon proud. Hope to see you in Texas.

WIU02
November 28th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I said earlier that playing App State at home is a fate I wouldn't wish on anyone but a UND fan, but I think WIU has a better-than-average shot in this one. I've got nothing but respect for Matt Barr and the success he's brought this team as the QB and continue to be impressed with the 'necks's turnaround from last year's 1-10 record. Need to pick App State but man, WIU is a nasty team to play.

I hope everyone is aware Matty Ice did not participate in 7.5 of those 11 games in '09. The kid will throw the ball over you...if you don't have a secondary ready to stop two 6'3, 200+lb physical receivers, a swift slot man, and a physical TE. Matt, honestly doesn't need much time as he can scramble like Mike don't call me Michael Vick. He'll create the time he needs. Add our dual threat running attack, and our adapted D...I don't see this game being close, honestly. The homefield, feel good story is great, except it's not very impressive. We have 10 seniors who aren't ready to go home. As they say in the dirty, good luck, y'all!!!

AppMAN04
November 28th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I hope everyone is aware Matty Ice did not participate in 7.5 of those 11 games in '09. The kid will throw the ball over you...if you don't have a secondary ready to stop two 6'3, 200+lb physical receivers, a swift slot man, and a physical TE. Matt, honestly doesn't need much time as he can scramble like Mike don't call me Michael Vick. He'll create the time he needs. Add our dual threat running attack, and our adapted D...I don't see this game being close, honestly. The home field, feel good story is great, except it's not very impressive. We have 10 seniors who aren't ready to go home. As they say in the dirty, good luck, y'all!!!

I hope you mean not being close as in we are going to beat you guys down? Home field does play a big part, I dont care. Our secondary is a little shaky, but the speed that we show on both sides of the ball is incredible and DE, LB that wont even give your QB time... Let him scramble and he will end up on the ground.. Good luck to the WIU travelers coming to town, but this game will be over by halftime.. Congrats on the turnaround of that horrible season you guys had last year, but sorry the Cinderella story ends here.. GOO APPS!!

Houndawg
November 28th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I hope everyone is aware Matty Ice did not participate in 7.5 of those 11 games in '09. The kid will throw the ball over you...if you don't have a secondary ready to stop two 6'3, 200+lb physical receivers, a swift slot man, and a physical TE. Matt, honestly doesn't need much time as he can scramble like Mike don't call me Michael Vick. He'll create the time he needs. Add our dual threat running attack, and our adapted D...I don't see this game being close, honestly. The homefield, feel good story is great, except it's not very impressive. We have 10 seniors who aren't ready to go home. As they say in the dirty, good luck, y'all!!!

WIU has made an impressive turnaround, but I was at the SIU/WIU game and WIU is not very good. No way the MVC deserved three teams in the playoffs, even in a diluted field.

Horseshoe App
November 28th, 2010, 07:41 AM

Bartender could I please have the same kool aid this WIU fan is drinking:) Seriously though, do you really think your team is going to come in and kill ASU? I appreciate you loving your team, but sometimes being a fan leads to delusional expectations. Good luck on your prediction.

cderry
November 28th, 2010, 08:22 AM

I think it's hilarious when people say this.

I'll just leave this here:
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?331-GPI-11-23-2010

The GPI ranked the Missouri Valley the 2nd toughest conference this year behind the Colonial. *cough* Southern was 4th. *cough*

cderry
November 28th, 2010, 08:28 AM
WIU has made an impressive turnaround, but I was at the SIU/WIU game and WIU is not very good. No way the MVC deserved three teams in the playoffs, even in a diluted field.

You're right...that one game was enough to rule out a team. <rolls eyes>

leatherneck177
November 28th, 2010, 08:57 AM

Yeah it has been down since 2003, the last time Western made the playoffs. Come on, just because SIU choked out 2010 and had a lot of injuries doesn't mean you need to drop by and try to pile on a team that had a good year.

This will be an extremely difficult game, I believe App State's speed alone will be something that Western hasn't seen all year. We will see how they adjust, if they can adjust, maybe they hang around a bit. If not, it could get ugly. Either way, start a new thread and go talk about how the MVFC is down this year somewhere else.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2010, 09:02 AM
the only question is when will Appy pull the starters

here is a lil fact for the WIU fans... the team you eekeed past yesterday lost to a 1-10 Towson State team... xnodx

theasushow
November 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM

if all this was accurate ("michael vick" at QB, dual-threat running backs, and adapted defense) then WIU shouldn't have lost a game this year, and they definitley shouldnt have gone down to the wire against a not-so-great coastal squad.

Da Coach
November 28th, 2010, 11:33 AM

here is a lil fact for the WIU fans... the team you eekeed past yesterday lost to a 1-10 Towson State team... xnodx

You have every right to pound your chest...ASU beat a powerful North Carolina - Central team that had huge victories over Johnson C. Smith University (?) and Edward Waters University (?) among their 3 wins this year! You also lost to GSU who lost to a 4-7 Samford. Does your mother know you're on the computer unsupervised?

Eagle22
November 28th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Whether or not you realize it (yet), WIU is probably at least 7 points down before they step off the bus in Boone. I'd like to hear what you consider an impressive venue at the FCS level.

Kidd-Brewer is a very tough place to play, and I suspect you're in for a bit of a shock if you actually go to the game. SoCon teams have a distinct advantage in at least making a trip up the mountain every other year ... and most lately have come back down to sea level with a loss.

I'd like to see how the numbers stack up over the last ten years, but outside of WA-Grizzly Stadium and Paulson Stadium, the list of truly intimidating atmospheres begins to rapidly taper away ... KBS is right there at the top.

Da Coach
November 28th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Whether or not you realize it (yet), WIU is probably at least 7 points down before they step off the bus in Boone. I'd like to hear what you consider an impressive venue at the FCS level.

Kidd-Brewer is a very tough place to play, and I suspect you're in for a bit of a shock if you actually go to the game. SoCon teams have a distinct advantage in at least making a trip up the mountain every other year ... and most lately have come back down to sea level with a loss.

I'd like to see how the numbers stack up over the last ten years, but outside of WA-Grizzly Stadium and Paulson Stadium, the list of truly intimidating atmospheres begins to rapidly taper away ... KBS is right there at the top.

WIU is 2-0 vs. Montana in the playoffs. Boseman isn't a fun place for visitors to play. Check their home record in the playoffs. The Leathernecks have played at LSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Missouri, Fresno State, Illinois, Purdue to mention a few. I'm sure ASU has a nice home field advantage, but 97,000 in Death Valley might be a little more intimidating than Boone, NC. Everyone knows about ASU (this site is full of you) BUT...wouldn't it be nice to hear others patting you on the back, so you don't break your own arm...just saying...

Eagle22
November 28th, 2010, 11:59 AM
WIU is 2-0 vs. Montana in the playoffs. Boseman isn't a fun place for visitors to play. Check their home record in the playoffs. The Leathernecks have played at LSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Missouri, Fresno State, Illinois, Purdue to mention a few. I'm sure ASU has a nice home field advantage, but 97,000 in Death Valley might be a little more intimidating than Boone, NC. Everyone knows about ASU (this site is full of you) BUT...wouldn't it be nice to hear others patting you on the back, so you don't break your own arm...just saying...

Not saying WIU can't win, but I think the poster I responded to (not you) doesn't have a firm grasp on reality if he believes KBS to be a less than impressive environment.

BTW, I'm a Georgia Southern fan, not an App State one, so I'm not sure exactly how me complimenting ASU's facilities is somehow turning me into a self-congratulatory Mountaineer ?

Ask the WIU SID, Pat Osterman about the environment if you don't believe me. I'm sure he'll have a few tips for the Leathernecks ... as he made a few trips out there when he was the SID at Georgia Southern.

GATA
November 28th, 2010, 12:06 PM
nah, App State has no real home field advantage. WIU wins easily.

theasushow
November 28th, 2010, 12:18 PM

Those Montana games happened in 1998 and 2003, pretty sure there aren't many players left from those teams, and Montana is in Missoula not "boseman". WIU hasnt even been to the playoffs since 2003, so any mention of previous playoff success is completely irrelevant to this years team. Past playoff success is good for tradition and makes for some nice trophies and accolades, but doesn't play a factor when it comes to the current team.

soccerguy315
November 28th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I predict ASU makes the score whatever they want. Game shouldn't be close.

james_lawfirm
November 28th, 2010, 12:32 PM
You have every right to pound your chest...ASU beat a powerful North Carolina - Central team that had huge victories over Johnson C. Smith University (?) and Edward Waters University (?) among their 3 wins this year! You also lost to GSU who lost to a 4-7 Samford. Does your mother know you're on the computer unsupervised?

OK, genius ... I think Caribbeanhen is a Delaware fan. Do you know anything about FCS football? Ah, no matter.

Come on & enjoy the Rock & some Southern hospitality! You'll probably have fun right up until kickoff.

james_lawfirm
November 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
nah, App State has no real home field advantage. WIU wins easily.

GATA:

I hear you. Congrats to a fine win yesterday against SC State. I hope your QB is 100% for the rest of the playoffs & we meet again in Texas!

james_lawfirm
November 28th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Those Montana games happened in 1998 and 2003, pretty sure there aren't many players left from those teams, and Montana is in Missoula not "boseman". WIU hasnt even been to the playoffs since 2003, so any mention of previous playoff success is completely irrelevant to this years team. Past playoff success is good for tradition and makes for some nice trophies and accolades, but doesn't play a factor when it comes to the current team.

You know, I read right through the comment on Boseman & did not catch that, even tho I was at the Montana/ASU game. Shame on me.

These WIU posters are probably great guys. You'd just never know it reading their posts.

theasushow
November 28th, 2010, 12:47 PM
You know, I read right through the comment on Boseman & did not catch that, even tho I was at the Montana/ASU game. Shame on me.

These WIU posters are probably great guys. You'd just never know it reading their posts.

I enjoy competitive banter on these boards (i mean that is the point) but at the same time, posts like the "montana-boseman", and then listing every BCS opponent since like 1975 to try and make an argument really makes me question his knowledge and credibility. but as you said, i dont doubt they are nice guys.

AppMAN04
November 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
"The Rock says"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN-XwzqkGLAxbowx

james_lawfirm
November 28th, 2010, 01:50 PM
"The Rock says no your damn role!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN-XwzqkGLAxbowx

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/071d023dd4.gif (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Your quote would make much more sense if "no" was spelled "know". - the Grammar Nazi.

AppMAN04
November 28th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Your quote would make much more sense if "no" was spelled "know". - the Grammar Nazi.

Thanks buddy! I fixed it for you

GATA
November 28th, 2010, 02:42 PM
GATA:

I hear you. Congrats to a fine win yesterday against SC State. I hope your QB is 100% for the rest of the playoffs & we meet again in Texas!

If we were to meet again in Texas I think everyone's head would explode...because that would be incredible.

...and somewhat miraculous considering GSU was 4-4 going into our first meeting and had just come off a loss to Samford...

WIU02
November 28th, 2010, 02:45 PM

LOL. What is Edward Waters and why do they have a football team? I haven't checked the Happy State schedule, y'all, but huh?

james_lawfirm
November 28th, 2010, 02:51 PM
LOL. What is Edward Waters and why do they have a football team? I haven't checked the Happy State schedule, y'all, but huh?

OK, you're exactly right. Happy State is a bunch of weinies who've never even played football before & don't know a touchdown from a field goal.

Is there nary a reason to play this game? Nah. Let's just skip the game & go right to dinner & beer.

james_lawfirm
November 28th, 2010, 02:54 PM
If we were to meet again in Texas I think everyone's head would explode...because that would be incredible.

...and somewhat miraculous considering GSU was 4-4 going into our first meeting and had just come off a loss to Samford...

Maybe. But, GaSo looked good in their first playoff game. Just keep on keeping on with Bill & Mary. An all SoCon title game would be fine with me.

AppStsGr8
November 28th, 2010, 03:20 PM

I don't think so. The Florida issue was what looked like a stupid retaliation from my vantage point.

Edge316007
November 28th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Lol at all the trash been thrown around in this thread. It's cute. You're like an angry little puppy who's trying to scare someone but everyone else just thinks you're adorable.

james_lawfirm
November 28th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Lol at all the trash been thrown around in this thread. It's cute. You're like an angry little puppy who's trying to scare someone but everyone else just thinks you're adorable.

Ouch!

AppChicago
November 28th, 2010, 05:47 PM

So lemme get this straight. Your argument is that App is a lackluster team based on the fact that an OOC school we played (and beat, soundly) also played a team you've never heard of before? So we scheduled a less-than-tough opponent. Your first game of the season was against VALPARAISO. You know. The team that's 1-21 over the past two years and totally winless this season?

Meanwhile, let's look at some losses. Ours were to a longtime in-conference rival on a hot-streak and an FBS powerhouse having an off-year, but coming off of the painful title loss and out to grind heads.

Your losses were to Purdue (fine) and three of the 4 lowest ranked teams in your conference. All of whom finished the season 5-6. None of whom made the playoffs.

I welcome WIU to Boone and wish them the best, but if you're telling me that ASU is incapable of doing what Missouri State, SDSU, and SIU did on off-years.... I don't know what to tell you.

Here's to a good game.

boonegoon
November 28th, 2010, 06:56 PM
All trash talking aside, I really hope all the WIU folks that decide to travel to Boone have a safe trip. A lot of us are proud of Boone and the people and beautiful area around it. I think it will be a close game. I picture a little of Chattanooga in their game and we all know about our pass defense. Come and enjoy your trip but plan a little time to see the place too.

T-Dog
November 28th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Not another purple team!

1andDone
November 28th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Edward Waters is bad...they played my Jags lost 64-0. They also almost lost to a Club Football Team

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2010, 07:38 PM
OK, genius ... I think Caribbeanhen is a Delaware fan. Do you know anything about FCS football? Ah, no matter.

Come on & enjoy the Rock & some Southern hospitality! You'll probably have fun right up until kickoff.

thank you Sir, I did not have the heart to tell him myself

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM
All trash talking aside, I really hope all the WIU folks that decide to travel to Boone have a safe trip. A lot of us are proud of Boone and the people and beautiful area around it. I think it will be a close game. I picture a little of Chattanooga in their game and we all know about our pass defense. Come and enjoy your trip but plan a little time to see the place too.

I will be watching this game closely. It's going to be a good game, never-the-less. Best to both teams!

WIU02
November 28th, 2010, 08:24 PM
So lemme get this straight. Your argument is that App is a lackluster team based on the fact that an OOC school we played (and beat, soundly) also played a team you've never heard of before? So we scheduled a less-than-tough opponent. Your first game of the season was against VALPARAISO. You know. The team that's 1-21 over the past two years and totally winless this season?

Meanwhile, let's look at some losses. Ours were to a longtime in-conference rival on a hot-streak and an FBS powerhouse having an off-year, but coming off of the painful title loss and out to grind heads.

Your losses were to Purdue (fine) and three of the 4 lowest ranked teams in your conference. All of whom finished the season 5-6. None of whom made the playoffs.

I welcome WIU to Boone and wish them the best, but if you're telling me that ASU is incapable of doing what Missouri State, SDSU, and SIU did on off-years.... I don't know what to tell you.

Here's to a good game.

Hey a Happy State fan from/living in Chi? Welcome, bud. do you say y'all as well? Something along the lines of, 'can y'all believe there's a school named Edward Waters College? And get this y'all...they play football!'

Here's the deal. Our offensive strengths match up well with your defensive weaknesses and I think, vice versa. I see this being a high scoring game. Good luck, y'all!

NDB
November 28th, 2010, 08:30 PM
NDSU played WIU in October. The leathernecks played a complete game/executed extremely well.

I think Appy will win, but I expect it to be a hellova game.

leatherneck177
November 28th, 2010, 09:48 PM

If you look at their schedule, Coastal's season was a tale of two halfs. With that being said, I did notice that. What are you going to do? A win is a win. I don't think anyone on here is proclaiming a Western national title or upset for that matter.

AppChicago
November 28th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hey a Happy State fan from/living in Chi? Welcome, bud. do you say y'all as well? Something along the lines of, 'can y'all believe there's a school named Edward Waters College? And get this y'all...they play football!'

Here's the deal. Our offensive strengths match up well with your defensive weaknesses and I think, vice versa. I see this being a high scoring game. Good luck, y'all!

There are a good many App State fans/alumni living in Chicago. (I've actually relocated since joining the board, but never bothered to change my name...). And yes, I've been known to drop a "y'all" or two.

And I'd never even heard of Edward Waters until this thread. We didn't play them. We played a team who did, and that was NC Central, an MEAC team with a newer football program, but they're in-state and D1, so I'm glad we could put them onto our schedule.

And this may well be a real scorcher of a game. I love the playoffs, and hope some of your fans are able to make the trip. xthumbsupx

ThompsonThe
November 28th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I think it's hilarious when people say this.

I'll just leave this here:
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?331-GPI-11-23-2010

The GPI ranked the Missouri Valley the 2nd toughest conference this year behind the Colonial. *cough* Southern was 4th. *cough*

and we know college sporting news is so great. sure.

ThompsonThe
November 28th, 2010, 11:37 PM

You sir are exactly correct. That is another reason we need to take football seriously and go FBS.

ThompsonThe
November 28th, 2010, 11:44 PM

That is a Georgia Southern fan that you are referring to, not an App State fan. You know, six national championships and all that. Our biggest rival. You know, they hate us, we hate them type thing. Except in the playoffs he is our SoCon brother, against the world, unless we meet in the playoffs. So you are wrong about us patting ourselves on the back.

ThompsonThe
November 28th, 2010, 11:57 PM

App State didn't play any team named Edward Waters. Never heard of it.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2010, 12:04 AM

all I can say is that it sure is good that you guys got off your lazy rear ends and decided to join the football world again. Thanks Sam Baker.
you should have been rep'ing the SoCon with us for the last several years. Good to have you back. Just when many of your fans were finally saying, "yeah, the TO is gone for good." Nobody does it better (well, maybe a couple this year, but am sure that will change.) GATA against Bill & Mary.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2010, 12:19 AM

Now U R speaking real Merican. I sure am glad we are playing you because I had never heard of West(urn) Illinois before. Is y'all's offense called the Wi 5? Illinois gives us Al Capone, then Obama, now The Leathernecks....or is it the Fighting Leathernecks? Were you named after the Marines or is it some regional thing?

Waco Kid
November 29th, 2010, 09:12 AM

You barely beat a 6-5 team from the Big South this week, and your "big" win over UNI doesn't look very impressive after their loss to Lehigh. You may come to Boone and win, but this is a bit over the top for a 4 loss team who almost lost to the worst team in the playoffs.

Rekdiver
November 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Weather forecast: Partly to mostly cloudy and highs in the low 40's. We will have a crowd.

leatherneck177
November 29th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Weather forecast: Partly to mostly cloudy and highs in the low 40's. We will have a crowd.

I would hope so.

Western_101
November 29th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Now U R speaking real Merican. I sure am glad we are playing you because I had never heard of West(urn) Illinois before. Is y'all's offense called the Wi 5? Illinois gives us Al Capone, then Obama, now The Leathernecks....or is it the Fighting Leathernecks? Were you named after the Marines or is it some regional thing?

Have you heard of MVFC football? You seem like a real informed FCS guy.

cderry
November 29th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Were you named after the Marines or is it some regional thing?

We are the only non-military school allowed to use it.

Our first head coach Rock Hanson was a WWI and WWII veteran: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Hanson

Western_101
November 29th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Actually I think exclusivity of the Western Illinois Fighting Leathernecks is we have congressional approval to use the Marine Corps Eagle Globe & Anchor emblem. I don't think there is expressly anything prohibiting another team from using the name Leathernecks but the Marine Corps has proprietary rights to the Eagle Globe & Anchor that can not be used by anyone else except in our case.

We really should use that emblem more than we do. It is unique.

ASUG8
November 29th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I hope attendance is high this week with the students back. Even when we've played the Sat. after T'giving we've still had 15-16 in the stands so I'm hoping we can put 24-26K in the stands.

There are no easy playoff games in my opinion - you take them one at a time and never look further than the next gameday. I won't make any predictions except for a 100% chance of football this Saturday. Beat WIU.

Houndawg
November 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah it has been down since 2003, the last time Western made the playoffs. Come on, just because SIU choked out 2010 and had a lot of injuries doesn't mean you need to drop by and try to pile on a team that had a good year.

This will be an extremely difficult game, I believe App State's speed alone will be something that Western hasn't seen all year. We will see how they adjust, if they can adjust, maybe they hang around a bit. If not, it could get ugly. Either way, start a new thread and go talk about how the MVFC is down this year somewhere else.

Tut tut now, no reason to be so sensitive. Just calling it like I see it, and my opinion is based on watching WIU rush for -7 yards on the worst SIU defense in a decade. A defense which sacked Barr 5 times in a game that meant nothing to SIU and a chance for the MVC championship to WIU. Sorry, bubba, but I'm right about the MVC being down this year. Of course, I could say the same thing about the whole of FCS, given that we sent two teams to the playoffs that have 7 conference losses between them. Don't get your panties in a twist, we're all proud of WIU's turnaround.

Western_101
November 29th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Yep, Western sucked against SIU, did not come ready to play after the Bye. I have no idea why that was the case. You would think they would want to get that streak you got on us now off their collective back but no.

You claim the MVFC is down. Maybe it is your perspective. Maybe the MVFC has had more parity this year than in years past. Used to be one would see 2 or 3 dominant teams that would roll over the rest, not so this year. So, because the tide raised all of our boats we are lower?

I am sad we didn't beat you this year, sorry you didn't make the playoffs. No biggie though, don't get your panties in a bunchxlolx at least you have a new stadium.

Gil Dobie
November 29th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Good luck to MVFC WIU xthumbsupx

Some of your conference mates are pulling for you xhurrayx

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2010, 07:12 PM
lol at the MVC guys trying to downplay the SOS of the SoCon. The MVC got 3 teams (all 7-4) in the first round whereas the SoCon had 2 teams finish 9-2 with a first round bye(with no losses to teams outside of the playoffs). GSU is the wildcard as they lost to Chatty (a team fighting for a playoff spot until the final week) and Samford but those were close games and right now they are playing good football. The Socon could have just as easily gotten more teams in the playoffs. Everything on paper and in reality shows that the Socon is a tougher conference and no link to the opinions of some website will change that. App by AT LEAST 2 touchdowns and I am being generous, if App comes out with the determination it had against Wofford, App wins by 45

james_lawfirm
November 29th, 2010, 07:21 PM
App by AT LEAST 2 touchdowns and I am being generous, if App comes out with the determination it had against Wofford, App wins by 45

What? Wow! Now there's a left handed compliment if I ever saw one.

Thanks for the confidence, and good luck against Jaxnvil St. Wofford by 46 in that one.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2010, 07:45 PM
What? Wow! Now there's a left handed compliment if I ever saw one.

Thanks for the confidence, and good luck against Jaxnvil St. Wofford by 46 in that one.

well your player DID say they hate Wofford and aren't going to lose to us anymore. 14 points is generous, App plays an average game and its by 20something. and before the sarcastic comment by a WIU fan chimes in about "WIU shouldn't even show up because App will kill us," though your comment would be sarcastic in tone I would agree with you.

james_lawfirm
November 29th, 2010, 08:14 PM
well your player DID say they hate Wofford and aren't going to lose to us anymore. 14 points is generous, App plays an average game and its by 20something. and before the sarcastic comment by a WIU fan chimes in about "WIU shouldn't even show up because App will kill us," though your comment would be sarcastic in tone I would agree with you.

Well, I think what he said was that he just remembered the "over-rated" chant throughout the 4th qtr. of the game at Wofford we lost about 3 yrs. ago.

He might have said he hated Wofford, but that's not the message I heard. The message I heard was that your fans' chant was what he remembered about that loss. Thus, he did not want to lose to Wofford anymore.

In any event, I hope Wofford thrashes Jaxnvil St. & that we see you and GaSo in the final four left standing.

Western_101
November 29th, 2010, 09:31 PM
lol at the MVC guys trying to downplay the SOS of the SoCon. The MVC got 3 teams (all 7-4) in the first round whereas the SoCon had 2 teams finish 9-2 with a first round bye(with no losses to teams outside of the playoffs). GSU is the wildcard as they lost to Chatty (a team fighting for a playoff spot until the final week) and Samford but those were close games and right now they are playing good football. The Socon could have just as easily gotten more teams in the playoffs. Everything on paper and in reality shows that the Socon is a tougher conference and no link to the opinions of some website will change that. App by AT LEAST 2 touchdowns and I am being generous, if App comes out with the determination it had against Wofford, App wins by 45

Please, If little ole, Wofford were in the VALLEY they would be fortunate to sniff middle of the pack. Good self esteem is important in these hard times though, I will grant you that.

The smallest school in the ENTIRE D-I has a bark that is louder than it's tiny 1,500 bite.

Wofford doesn't even belong in D-I.

App-a-latch-un
November 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Please, If little ole, Wofford were in the VALLEY they would be fortunate to sniff middle of the pack. Good self esteem is important in these hard times though, I will grant you that.

The smallest school in the ENTIRE D-I has a bark that is louder than it's tiny 1,500 bite.

The year App beat Michigan we were beat by Wofford. I'd say they belong and would beat your D running all over you. They didn't fair too well on their trip to Boone this year....or the last, but that is playing at THE ROCK for ya!xshhhx

Block-A
November 29th, 2010, 10:10 PM

O.o

Trolling for Terriers? Try this thread, you may get more bites:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?79295-Jacksonville-State-vs.-Wofford-game-thread

Western_101
November 29th, 2010, 10:16 PM
The year App beat Michigan we were beat by Wofford. I'd say they belong and would beat your D running all over you. They didn't fair too well on their trip to Boone this year....or the last, but that is playing at THE ROCK for ya!xshhhx

Might not have wanted to admit that about getting beat down by the poodles in your year of glory.

Top to bottom the Valley would beat down the SoCon most years. Why do you defend the conference that most of you want to bail from anyway?

I would love nothing more than a Valley/SoCon rivalry OOC games every year.

Gil Dobie
November 29th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Might not have wanted to admit that about getting beat down by the poodles in your year of glory.

Top to bottom the Valley would beat down the SoCon most years. Why do you defend the conference that most of you want to bail from anyway?

They will only play at their house and buyout the return trip. ;)

NDSU beat GSU, and GSU boughout the Fargodome game.

App-a-latch-un
November 29th, 2010, 10:26 PM

You talking about the year of glory where we won our 3rd straight National Championship?.....Wofford also made the playoffs that year, while you didn't, nor ever won a NC, haha you talk like you've been there before while you haven't.

Enjoy it, it ends Saturday.

Western_101
November 29th, 2010, 10:38 PM
You talking about the year of glory where we won our 3rd straight National Championship?.....Wofford also made the playoffs that year, while you didn't, nor ever won a NC, haha you talk like you've been there before while you haven't.

Perhaps, and yes I will enjoy it, I suffered mightiliy last year, and really have wondered for awhile what had become of the proud Leatherneck tradition. I sure hope we are back, Beating you guys this Saturday would be great, but I am already a happy person with what my team has given me this year.

Thing about it is guys love a pretty girl that is down to earth and approachable. Sometimes you come across a real pretty girl and she thinks her ***** dosen't smell bad and is in love with herself. Guys I know would like to like the latter gal but find themselves not admiring her, Maybe someother gal will get more attention at the dance?

App-a-latch-un
November 29th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Perhaps, and yes I will enjoy it, I suffered mightiliy last year, and really have wondered for awhile what had become of the proud Leatherneck tradition. I sure hope we are back, Beating you guys this Saturday would be great, but I am already a happy person with what my team has given me this year.

Thing about it is guys love a pretty girl that is down to earth and approachable. Sometimes you come across a real pretty girl and she thinks her ***** dosen't smell bad and is in love with herself. Guys I know would like to like the latter gal but find themselves not admiring her, Maybe someother gal will get more attention at the dance?

girl problems? http://www.eharmony.com/ eh eh?

Western_101
November 29th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Well done, thy adversary has made me smile.

there is hope for us all

App-a-latch-un
November 29th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Well done, thy adversary has made me smile.

there is hope for us all

If you're traveling to Boone for the game you're welcome to my tailgate/garage bar, starts at 6am (no joke) with a firepit cooked breakfast and eggnog!

Western_101
November 29th, 2010, 11:34 PM
If you're traveling to Boone for the game you're welcome to my tailgate/garage bar, starts at 6am (no joke) with a firepit cooked breakfast and eggnog!

Would love to ....however I have a previous engagement, Taking in a Bradley vs Utah game in Peoria (with the inlaws to be) that day, and to think I already had Fri-Sun off. Could be enjoying Championship Football in person but instead will be watching mediocre basketball of schools none of us went to.

WIU02
November 29th, 2010, 11:35 PM

That avatar can't be beat. If I can shrink my bi's to 12.5 inches, I'll let you know, brah. You're an inspiration to many...and don't ever forget that.

WIU02
November 29th, 2010, 11:39 PM

Hey, look...it's Uncle Rico. Can you throw a football over them mountains? Just curious.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Sorry WIU fans, truth be told, Delaware has a tougher game with Lehigh on Saturday than Appy State does

Houndawg
November 30th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Yep, Western sucked against SIU, did not come ready to play after the Bye. I have no idea why that was the case. You would think they would want to get that streak you got on us now off their collective back but no.

You claim the MVFC is down. Maybe it is your perspective. Maybe the MVFC has had more parity this year than in years past. Used to be one would see 2 or 3 dominant teams that would roll over the rest, not so this year. So, because the tide raised all of our boats we are lower?

I am sad we didn't beat you this year, sorry you didn't make the playoffs. No biggie though, don't get your panties in a bunchxlolx at least you have a new stadium.

Didn't I already set you straight on this fallacy over at the cool site?

One more time, young Skywalker: Parity within the MVC and the MVC being down are not the same thing or even related.

Fact: As a conference the MVC is way down this year.

Our OOC this year is pitiful.

Our conference champ and AQ entered the playoffs at 7-4 and lost to Lehigh.

Our two at larges have seven conference losses between them and wouldn't even be in the playoffs if the field hadn't been expanded, and even then were only selected on the past rep of the MVC.

The only positive we have as a conference is that NDSU is the most improved team in the FCS right now.

As for WIU, I'd love to see you win, but it ain't happening. I say this because I saw you play live.

ASUG8
November 30th, 2010, 07:34 AM

Seriously? The Terriers have taken down App and Montana (in Wa-Griz, no less) over the last three years. They're a solid team top to bottom with excellent coaching.

I mean, with this logic why would little ACC schools like Wake or Duke bother playing basketball? They're nowhere near as large as Ohio State, Michigan, or Florida.......

AppMAN04
November 30th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Would love to ....however I have a previous engagement, Taking in a Bradley vs Utah game in Peoria (with the inlaws to be) that day, and to think I already had Fri-Sun off. Could be enjoying Championship Football in person but instead will be watching mediocre basketball of schools none of us went to.

Nothing like tailgating in Boone buddy! beautiful women, great people, good beer and Appalachian football.... Not many schools our size go as hard as we do when its game day... great experience, something to tell the grandkids about.... GOOOO AppS!

biggie
November 30th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Looks like mid-30s at kickoff and 10-20mph winds. Good Boone football day.

leatherneck177
November 30th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Seriously? The Terriers have taken down App and Montana (in Wa-Griz, no less) over the last three years. They're a solid team top to bottom with excellent coaching.

I agree.

MasonJar
November 30th, 2010, 09:12 AM

Ignorance is bliss... xrolleyesxxwhistlex

MasonJar
November 30th, 2010, 09:16 AM

Gotta have your priorities...

Western_101
November 30th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Didn't I already set you straight on this fallacy over at the cool site?

One more time, young Skywalker: Parity within the MVC and the MVC being down are not the same thing or even related.

Fact: As a conference the MVC is way down this year.

Our OOC this year is pitiful.

Our conference champ and AQ entered the playoffs at 7-4 and lost to Lehigh.

Our two at larges have seven conference losses between them and wouldn't even be in the playoffs if the field hadn't been expanded, and even then were only selected on the past rep of the MVC.

The only positive we have as a conference is that NDSU is the most improved team in the FCS right now.

As for WIU, I'd love to see you win, but it ain't happening. I say this because I saw you play live.

So the Valley got one auto bid last year and one at-large. This year the Valley got one auto bid and two at-large. There were 8 at-large spots last year and 10 this year. That means the Valley got 20% of the available at-larges this year and got 12.5% last year.

If I recall correctly SDSU didn't advance past the 1st round and SIU got embarrassed by W&M.

Keep in mind too that this years Valley participants in the playoffs all finished in the top 20 in the GPI.

Reality is this. You think the Valley is down because SIU is down. Maybe you are right, maybe you are not but you saying the Valley is down if most certainly your opinion.

Maybe it is time for you to move on to your Basketball team that is down, now that you have been done with football for weeks.

Houndawg
November 30th, 2010, 09:41 AM
So the Valley got one auto bid last year and one at-large. This year the Valley got one auto bid and two at-large. There were 8 at-large spots last year and 10 this year. That means the Valley got 20% of the available at-larges this year and got 12.5% last year.

If I recall correctly SDSU didn't advance past the 1st round and SIU got embarrassed by W&M.

Keep in mind too that this years Valley participants in the playoffs all finished in the top 20 in the GPI.

Reality is this. You think the Valley is down because SIU is down. Maybe you are right, maybe you are not but you saying the Valley is down if most certainly your opinion.

Maybe it is time for you to move on to your Basketball team that is down, now that you have been done with football for weeks.

You're being overly sensitive, Wilbur, for a guy that just jumped on the bandwagon this year. Yes, it is my opinion that the MVC is down and yours that it isn't. I think you'll find that your opinion is a very small minority here if you ask. Your "Valley got 20% of the at-larges this year..." is a meaningless statistic.

W&M didn't embarrass us last year, they were a better team on both sides of the ball and they beat us. Embarassed is more like when you when you play a 3-6 team for a chance at the conference championship and rush for -7 yards and get your QB sacked 5 times. Trust me, App State is much faster on D than SIU is. You'll see.

Western_101
November 30th, 2010, 12:07 PM
You're being overly sensitive, Wilbur, for a guy that just jumped on the bandwagon this year. Yes, it is my opinion that the MVC is down and yours that it isn't. I think you'll find that your opinion is a very small minority here if you ask. Your "Valley got 20% of the at-larges this year..." is a meaningless statistic.

W&M didn't embarrass us last year, they were a better team on both sides of the ball and they beat us. Embarassed is more like when you when you play a 3-6 team for a chance at the conference championship and rush for -7 yards and get your QB sacked 5 times. Trust me, App State is much faster on D than SIU is. You'll see.

You don't know anything about me. Why do you insist on putting down the Valley and other posters here supporting the Valley. Surely there must me something of greater importance you can do with your time.

AppChicago
November 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM
"The Valley"? Isn't that the thing below the Mountain?

biggie
November 30th, 2010, 12:30 PM
"The Valley"? Isn't that the thing below the Mountain?
But its in Cali where they have fake body parts and say "Like" a lot. At least on the moving picture screen.

WIU02
November 30th, 2010, 01:01 PM

I can attest that you are factually incorrect about the majority of what you post. Western-101 knows his stuff, is as passionate as they come, and is a 'football guy' in general. When you hit that 4,000 post mark, let us all know and we'll celebrate. You're on here a little too much, bud.

Houndawg
November 30th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I can attest that you are factually incorrect about the majority of what you post. Western-101 knows his stuff, is as passionate as they come, and is a 'football guy' in general. When you hit that 4,000 post mark, let us all know and we'll celebrate. You're on here a little too much, bud.

So where have you been all this time?xwhistlex

I notice you offer nothing in the way of evidence to rebut my contention and all your little buddy can do is snivel that I'm not being supportive of the MVC while also offering nothing to support his flimsy case. I already said that it would be fabulous if WIU won. It would be fabulous if Salma Hayek was pestering me for sex all the time, too, but that ain't going to happen either. Instead of whimpering abut me being wrong why don't you offer up an example? Explain to me how Barr is going to deal with a d-line that is much quicker than the one that sacked him 5 times for 60 yards in losses. Or how you're going to run on a top 10 team when you ran for -7 at C'dale. I'm all ears. I like Senatus' matching up if you can get time to throw but I don't see that happening. Pull off the upset in one of the toughest venues in FCS and I'll be here to congratulate you and say that the team I saw get pummeled by SIU was a fluke. Right now I see a run-of-the-mill 7-4 team, not bad, but nothing to write home about. It's not like you're 7-4 against a loaded schedule.

Houndawg
November 30th, 2010, 01:50 PM
You don't know anything about me. Why do you insist on putting down the Valley and other posters here supporting the Valley. Surely there must me something of greater importance you can do with your time.

64 posts, bro.

I'm putting the Valley down this year, and you know I'm right or you'd be offering facts to support your contention instead of the ad hominem that you resort to when somebody disagrees with you. Maybe offer an example of a good OOC win? Maybe you have a good rationalization for why our three, oops...two, 7-4 playoff teams should be considered favorites when they all had to come through the pla-in round? Please.

Western_101
November 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM
64 posts, bro.

I'm putting the Valley down this year, and you know I'm right or you'd be offering facts to support your contention instead of the ad hominem that you resort to when somebody disagrees with you. Maybe offer an example of a good OOC win? Maybe you have a good rationalization for why our three, oops...two, 7-4 playoff teams should be considered favorites when they all had to come through the pla-in round? Please.

You really don't strike me as being very much. Your measure of value is how much time one can waste on message boards, your sense of importance seems to stem from snide condescending remarks about people. I'm sure in your mind it comes across as cleverness, and being quick with the wit. I think in someways this board is theraputic for you. It gives you a sense of attention that perhaps you are lacking in your real life.

The pannel that determines what teams will receive at large bids for the NCAA FCS football playoffs selected 2 at large teams from the Valley. Yes all the Valley teams played in the first round which I consider to be fair. I think those in charge making the call of who is in or out were of the mindset that the three 7-4 teams in the Valley were a product of parity not mediocrity. There was no overwhelming favorite to get the bye and to avoid criticism the MVFC boys all played the first week.

You know there is whole world out there, and a life you could be living friend. Perhaps, you are of ill health and are confined to your bed, that would seem sad, maybe that would make me an unpleasent person to.

Maybe we should pray for you tonight, and throughout this Holiday season, Cheer up buddy I think things are gonna get better for all of us. Open up the drapes and let the sunlight in.

Western_101
November 30th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Houndawg,

Perhaps I judged you wrong, after I had a moment to think about it from your perspective in your community you must be well respected and admired for how many times you have made posts here.

Your family and friends must be so proud of you. It must be stressful to keep that post count up knowing so many people in your community value you for it.

Rekdiver
November 30th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Stick to football boys..using all these big words is about as impressive as your conference schedules and record. You may have a bit of success early but ASU will pound you down and your QB will be running for his life. We have a very hungry team and a hungry fan base and yes we are fast. Bring your sweater too because it will be in the 30's at kickoff with a breeze and some flurries.

Western_101
November 30th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I made a post earlier slighting Wofford, I was really only trying to get under YoungTerrier's skin. Wofford has really good football and basketball, I saw the Wofford roundballers play in person last year and they were really good.

What Wofford is able to do for a school their size defies conventional thinking.

Western_101
November 30th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Well, ASU is the #1 seed so you should win, but we will just have to wait and see. I am just hoping for a fun game to watch.

Houndawg
November 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM
You really don't strike me as being very much. Your measure of value is how much time one can waste on message boards, your sense of importance seems to stem from snide condescending remarks about people. I'm sure in your mind it comes across as cleverness, and being quick with the wit. I think in someways this board is theraputic for you. It gives you a sense of attention that perhaps you are lacking in your real life.

The pannel that determines what teams will receive at large bids for the NCAA FCS football playoffs selected 2 at large teams from the Valley. Yes all the Valley teams played in the first round which I consider to be fair. I think those in charge making the call of who is in or out were of the mindset that the three 7-4 teams in the Valley were a product of parity not mediocrity.There was no overwhelming favorite to get the bye and to avoid criticism the MVFC boys all played the first week.

You know there is whole world out there, and a life you could be living friend. Perhaps, you are of ill health and are confined to your bed, that would seem sad, maybe that would make me an unpleasent person to.

Maybe we should pray for you tonight, and throughout this Holiday season, Cheer up buddy I think things are gonna get better for all of us. Open up the drapes and let the sunlight in.

xlolx Do you actually read what you post?

let me get this right: You're saying that one of the MVC teams should have got a bye but somebody was worried about being criticized so instead they all played in the first round?xconfusedx I'd love to hear where that scenario comes from, please do share..

You're a scream, dude. You come on here and snivel that I don't know anything about you and then you post this drivel about my post count? xlolxxlolxxlolx

And I don't strike you as being very much?xsmileyclapx

Houndawg
November 30th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I made a post earlier slighting Wofford, I was really only trying to get under YoungTerrier's skin. Wofford has really good football and basketball, I saw the Wofford roundballers play in person last year and they were really good.

What Wofford is able to do for a school their size defies conventional thinking.

Translation: I didn't realize how full of it I was, so I'll play it off like I was just funnin' YT.

Houndawg
November 30th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Well, ASU is the #1 seed so you should win, but we will just have to wait and see. I am just hoping for a fun game to watch.

Translation: Wish I'd done a little research before I went running my mouth all over.

SpeedkingATL
November 30th, 2010, 03:35 PM
On paper this WIU team reminds me alot of this years Elon and UTC teams; good QB, good skill position players at WR and RB and a somewhat suspect defense. They may lack the balance to win consistantly against top competition but can step up and get on a roll during certain games. Teams that can throw deep gave the Apps fits this year too. It looks like DB LeGee is healed enough to practice this week and play which will be a big help against WIU. If App can pressure the QB and not commit stupid penalities and turnovers they should win this game, but I expect it will be far from easy. The Apps never appear to play our best either after a bye week or in the first playoff game either for some reason.

Houndawg
November 30th, 2010, 04:04 PM
They have a couple of big receivers that could give you fits, and Barr can scramble. You won't have to worry too much about the run but you had better get after Barr.

ASUG8
November 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM
They have a couple of big receivers that could give you fits, and Barr can scramble. You won't have to worry too much about the run but you had better get after Barr.

I just watched the highlights from WIU/YSU. Barr looked good and WIU seemed to score at will.

Then I realized that YSU was 1-7 in the conference and put 38 pts on WIU. If they play that level of D against us it will be a long day.

Western_101
November 30th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Translation: Wish I'd done a little research before I went running my mouth all over.

You musta got beat up alot in high school. Bullies can be mean. I bet if you go on the internet and make smart aleck comments and attack people you will feel less bad about your own sad life. You probably wont feel much better but maybe you can fool yourself.

And no, I don't believe that any MVFC team deserved a bye.

I know plenty about Wofford. I reasearched them before watching the mens team play at Carver Arena against Bradley last year.

What is your next clever comment?

Houndawg
November 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
You musta got beat up alot in high school. Bullies can be mean. I bet if you go on the internet and make smart aleck comments and attack people you will feel less bad about your own sad life. You probably wont feel much better but maybe you can fool yourself.

And no, I don't believe that any MVFC team deserved a bye.

I know plenty about Wofford. I reasearched them before watching the mens team play at Carver Arena against Bradley last year.

What is your next clever comment?

Then what is the meaning, if any, of your off the wall comment about the MVC teams playing in the first round to avoid criticism?

Can't help but notice that you still have nothing, except insults, to support your flimsy case that the MVC is not down yet. Do you think that if you just keep up the personal insults we'll all forget about how full of it you are?

Sorry kid, the verdict is in: the MVC is down this year. Unless of course you have some facts you'd like to toss out with your personal insults?

Just because of your rudeness we're going to beat your azz even worse next year.xnonox

Western_101
November 30th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Then what is the meaning, if any, of your off the wall comment about the MVC teams playing in the first round to avoid criticism?

Can't help but notice that you still have nothing, except insults, to support your flimsy case that the MVC is not down yet. Do you think that if you just keep up the personal insults we'll all forget about how full of it you are?

Sorry kid, the verdict is in: the MVC is down this year. Unless of course you have some facts you'd like to toss out with your personal insults?

Just because of your rudeness we're going to beat your azz even worse next year.xnonox

Yer right, I'm the one slinging around insults.

I am a 1997 Western Grad, engaged, live in East Peoria and work at Advanced Technologies Services.

there, now you know I am not a kid, What do you have to say about who you are?

Fine, the Valley is down compared to when? You yourself have provided no parameters for you case. Down compared to last year? When two Valley teams went to the playoffs one advanced and then got pounded.

What year are you comparing this years down Valley Conference talent with?

No_Skill
November 30th, 2010, 05:52 PM
How did this thread turn into two Valley fans flapping their gums at each other?

proasu89
November 30th, 2010, 06:19 PM
How did this thread turn into two Valley fans flapping their gums at each other?

xpopcornx

Edge316007
November 30th, 2010, 06:23 PM

What? All I see is "Yip!" "Yip! Yip!"

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2010, 07:10 PM

Factually incorrect?? What the heck does that mean? What other kinds of incorrectness are there? Well, let's see ... there's um, and uh, or ...

Gosh, maybe that's redundant.

Maybe you should stick to discussing football.

theasushow
November 30th, 2010, 07:16 PM
xpopcornx

xcoffeex

Houndawg
November 30th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Yer right, I'm the one slinging around insults.

I am a 1997 Western Grad, engaged, live in East Peoria and work at Advanced Technologies Services.

there, now you know I am not a kid, What do you have to say about who you are?

Fine, the Valley is down compared to when? You yourself have provided no parameters for you case. Down compared to last year? When two Valley teams went to the playoffs one advanced and then got pounded.

What year are you comparing this years down Valley Conference talent with?

The last six years at least. Just one of those cyclical things.

Houndawg
November 30th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Factually incorrect?? What the heck does that mean? What other kinds of incorrectness are there? Well, let's see ... there's um, and uh, or ...

Doesn't seem to be a strong point for either of him.

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2010, 07:44 PM
When was the last time Western Illinois had a playoff win? 2003?

Western_101
November 30th, 2010, 08:55 PM
yes, 2003 was the last time the Leathernecks had a playoff win........or for that matter were in the playoffs.

Youngterrier I am drunk with happiness that WIU is in the playoffs. We used to be a powerhouse, and then last seasons inexplicable 1-10 had me playing Creeds come back from the edge song.

Wofford must have MAD CRAZY endowment money, to keep your ship afloat. I mean really in the midwest we have Grand Valley State perenial DII powerhouses with an enrollment approaching 30,000 how the hell do you guys do it? Most of our high schools around here are as big as Wofford.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Apparently per SoCon rule... Gainey will be suspended for ENTIRE game.

I think we'll be ok.. and hopefully this serves as a lesson for him and everyone else on the team.

Western_101
November 30th, 2010, 09:27 PM

MY Dad would be so proud of you, a former Illinois State University English Prof.

I wanted to bash his skull in most of my adolescent years.

If you are really the grammar patrol though you must pick and chose your work, because I see a lot more egregious butchering of the English language here than your petty little ding on my pal.

Houndawg
November 30th, 2010, 10:14 PM
MY Dad would be so proud of you, a former Illinois State University English Prof.

If you are really the grammar patrol though you must pick and chose your work, because I see a lot more egregious butchering of the English language here than your petty little ding on my pal.

xlolx

WIU02
December 1st, 2010, 12:44 AM

Are you serious? Your handle is cool, dude. James...underscore...lawfirm. What kind of sucks about your hack lawyer skills, is that you don't accept the northern US term of "factually" or you might earn a similar bank account as me, although in twice the time. The problem is that you are, by definition, a hillbilly, and a less respected member of the United States.

It is southern folk like you, who when fresh out of factual information pertaining to the topic at hand, will turn to what/and how something is written. Come to Chicago, and I'll teach your slow southern mind how to trade futures...you know what, nevermind, 95% of people can't hack it, and those are intelligent "Yanks." You are a straight hillbilly, my dude. Very poor at defending your hillbilly people as well. It's kind of pathetic.

That is all.

WIU02
December 1st, 2010, 12:49 AM
When was the last time Western Illinois had a playoff win? 2003?

Bro, your avatar still cracks me up. Do those guns measure up at 12 or 12.5 inches? I'll let you know when I'm in a state of ketosis before bulking...that will be the perfect time to compare.

WIU02
December 1st, 2010, 01:04 AM
Apparently per SoCon rule... Gainey will be suspended for ENTIRE game.

I think we'll be ok.. and hopefully this serves as a lesson for him and everyone else on the team.

That's what happens to thugs. Jarring with a sixth/seventh string WR draws that kind of penalty.

james_lawfirm
December 1st, 2010, 04:33 AM

Yep, I'm very picky. Did you have these patricide visions often?

AppChicago
December 1st, 2010, 04:43 AM
Are you serious? Your handle is cool, dude. James...underscore...lawfirm. What kind of sucks about your hack lawyer skills, is that you don't accept the northern US term of "factually" or you might earn a similar bank account as me, although in twice the time. The problem is that you are, by definition, a hillbilly, and a less respected member of the United States.

It is southern folk like you, who when fresh out of factual information pertaining to the topic at hand, will turn to what/and how something is written. Come to Chicago, and I'll teach your slow southern mind how to trade futures...you know what, nevermind, 95% of people can't hack it, and those are intelligent "Yanks." You are a straight hillbilly, my dude. Very poor at defending your hillbilly people as well. It's kind of pathetic.

That is all.

What on earth are you on about? Easy on the sauce. It's barely Wednesday.

Lord knows its been a while since your team's been on a hot streak if you've forgotten how to toss around a little playful, moderate smack.

james_lawfirm
December 1st, 2010, 04:44 AM

That is all.

Ooh! Hit a nerve there, huh. Don't accept the term "factually"? No, I accept the term. My point was you used it incorrectly. Not sure what your bank account has to do with much of anything. And, then, your post degenerates into a personal attack. Too bad.

And, I'm not sure what selling futures has to do with any topic relevant to this board. This is a message board focused on FCS football, if you will recall.

As to being a "hillbilly", I wear the description proudly.

Are you planning to attend the game Saturday, or will you be selling some more pork bellies?

SideLine Shooter
December 1st, 2010, 04:59 AM
Ooh! Hit a nerve there, huh. Don't accept the term "factually"? No, I accept the term. My point was you used it incorrectly. Not sure what your bank account has to do with much of anything. And, then, your post degenerates into a personal attack. Too bad.

And, I'm not sure what selling futures has to do with any topic relevant to this board. This is a message board focused on FCS football, if you will recall.

Are you planning to attend the game Saturday, or will you be selling some more pork bellies?

DITTO!

Houndawg
December 1st, 2010, 06:50 AM

That is all.

All that money and you still live in the City of Losers?

That's really sad dude. Now that I understand, I'll try to be nicer.

Why don't you meet me halfway by trying to be smarter?

Houndawg
December 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM
That's what happens to thugs. Jarring with a sixth/seventh string WR draws that kind of penalty.

Yeah, you gotta be careful about who you jar with.

Edge316007
December 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM

That is all.

Spoken like a true Elon grad

Houndawg
December 1st, 2010, 07:13 AM

WIU hasn't been to a playoff since these kids were in high school. I was just trying to coach them up a little on playoff smack and protocol so they wouldn't look any more stupid than living in Chicago necessitates. Evidently I have failed. The good news is they'll both be gone after Saturday.

james_lawfirm
December 1st, 2010, 07:25 AM
WIU hasn't been to a playoff since these kids were in high school. I was just trying to coach them up a little on playoff smack and protocol so they wouldn't look any more stupid than living in Chicago necessitates. Evidently I have failed. The good news is they'll both be gone after Saturday.

Ouch! Dayum! Them boys hain't learnt nuttin' ever since then neither.

It's great to be a Mountaineer!

Houndawg
December 1st, 2010, 07:35 AM
Ouch! Dayum! Them boys hain't learnt nuttin' ever since then neither.

It's great to be a Mountaineer!

As good as being a sowbelly salesman in Chicago? Get oudda heah.

B&G
December 1st, 2010, 08:35 AM
Bro, your avatar still cracks me up. Do those guns measure up at 12 or 12.5 inches? I'll let you know when I'm in a state of ketosis before bulking...that will be the perfect time to compare.

Wow man, so far you have let everyone know that you work out a lot AND have an awesome job where you make a ton of money. Are you on here to talk football or are you on here looking for a date? You do know that this site isn't called AnyGivenSaturgay right?

WIU02
December 1st, 2010, 10:06 AM

I don't sell futures. I trade them. This is a message board focused on FCS football, if you will recall. The last time I checked, going on a rant about the word "factually" has nothing to do with FCS football, does it? Just curious.

GlassOnion
December 1st, 2010, 10:27 AM
I don't sell futures. I trade them. This is a message board focused on FCS football, if you will recall. The last time I checked, going on a rant about the word "factually" has nothing to do with FCS football, does it? Just curious.

Why are your off topic rants ok? Just curious.

biggie
December 1st, 2010, 10:30 AM
My God this thread is painful.

james_lawfirm
December 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM

Isn't it though. Anybody want to discuss the upcoming playoff game Saturday?

I hear the weather will be perfect & WIU will give us a good game. Discussion?

GlassOnion
December 1st, 2010, 10:42 AM
From what I saw at the coastal game, having Legree back may be HUGE. If Barr stares down his recievers like he did Saturday, Legree may win us this game.

KiddBrewer
December 1st, 2010, 11:30 AM
i started off this thread.....i read pages 1-3.....talking about the game, cool.....skipped to page 17.....apparently i missed where the s*** throwing fest started between page 3-17.....i hope it didn't (but highly suspect it did) go on throughout all those skipped pages....xscanxxnonono2x

anyway, can't wait to make it back up the mountain this weekend. hope we come out and play a sound game. i would like to see us have a significant advantage in time of possession, but we'll see. probably end up being a pretty good game. hopefully not tooooo good, though.

see you guys up the mountain!xsmileyclapxxthumbsupx

B&G
December 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM
Well it has turned into a matchup of two Payton Finalists at QB.

SpeedkingATL
December 1st, 2010, 12:38 PM
This is one game where the track around the field might get some use because this game could become a track meet before it's over.

Go Apps!

ST_Lawson
December 1st, 2010, 01:53 PM
Well it has turned into a matchup of two Payton Finalists at QB.

And if SFA beats Villanova, then the third finalist will take on the winner of the other two. Looks like they stacked the best QBs all in one quarter of the bracket.

GaSouthern
December 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM
GO APPS FIGHT APPS KICK ***!

GO SOCON!

HappyAppy13
December 1st, 2010, 03:19 PM
Looking like some great weather!! High in the high 30's with low in low 20's...possible snow flurries/showers!!! GOOOO APPALACHIAN!!!!
GO!!.....FIGHT!!.....KICK A$$!!

hope all the WIU fans enjoy Boone...it'll be a bit different than the beach you last visited, but i'm sure ya'll won't have problems with the cold. Safe travels to all who come down!

biggie
December 1st, 2010, 03:35 PM
hope all the WIU fans enjoy Boone...it'll be a bit different than the beach you last visited, but i'm sure ya'll won't have problems with the cold. Safe travels to all who come down!
Shocked that I have yet to see an WIU fans say they are going to make it.

leatherneck177
December 1st, 2010, 03:38 PM
I REALLY wanted to make it down for this game. I never thought I'd have a reason to get down there and the perfect opportunity comes knocking. However my daughter is getting baptized this Saturday, so I won't be making this trip. Will be sure to order Gameplan or figure out some way to see it on TV. I have heard of a few groups of alumni making the trip down though, so there should be at least a decent contingent of Western fans at the game. If I was still in college I would be all over a roadtrip down to Boone. Made several good trips to UNI, NIU and LSU while in college. I'm thinking App State would have been near the top of those experience wise.

With that being said, I believe Western will have their hands full. It is going to be an incredibly tough game in every aspect and will test all of Western's strengths and weaknesses. The defense is going to have to try and rein in the scoring and the offense is going to have to answer any early scoring App State does. I'm just not sure that Western has what it takes, especially with how the team has performed on the road this year. I believe that Western hangs in there for three quarters before the speed and bend but don't break defense gets to them.

Mountaineers 34
Leathernecks 21

To all the Leathernecks fans, I HOPE I'M WRONG!

leatherneck177
December 1st, 2010, 03:51 PM

Yes it is.

It has obviously brought out the best fans from WIU, ASU and SIU!

I'm laughing at a lot of the posts on here, from ASU and Western fans alike. Gotta love the 1-2 pages of spelling and grammer error correction. Best smack talk I've seen yet!

biggie
December 1st, 2010, 03:51 PM
I do hate that it is a 12 kickoff for WIU vistors, will damper tailgating some.

Did see that there is a bus of WIU students/alumni driving down, good to see. Wonder if they are staying over night, plenty of fun to be had.

Wished I could go skiing after the game.

SpeedkingATL
December 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM
I REALLY wanted to make it down for this game. I never thought I'd have a reason to get down there and the perfect opportunity comes knocking. However my daughter is getting baptized this Saturday, so I won't be making this trip. Will be sure to order Gameplan or figure out some way to see it on TV. I have heard of a few groups of alumni making the trip down though, so there should be at least a decent contingent of Western fans at the game. If I was still in college I would be all over a roadtrip down to Boone. Made several good trips to UNI, NIU and LSU while in college. I'm thinking App State would have been near the top of those experience wise.

With that being said, I believe Western will have their hands full. It is going to be an incredibly tough game in every aspect and will test all of Western's strengths and weaknesses. The defense is going to have to try and rein in the scoring and the offense is going to have to answer any early scoring App State does. I'm just not sure that Western has what it takes, especially with how the team has performed on the road this year. I believe that Western hangs in there for three quarters before the speed and bend but don't break defense gets to them.

Mountaineers 34
Leathernecks 21

To all the Leathernecks fans, I HOPE I'M WRONG!

Tell your friends that make the trip to stop by some of the App tailgates. Unfortunately I won't be there this weekend but you will find that App fans love to talk FCS football and will be eagar to have you join in and share some food, drink and opinions.

leatherneck177
December 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM
Tell your friends that make the trip to stop by some of the App tailgates. Unfortunately I won't be there this weekend but you will find that App fans love to talk FCS football and will be eagar to have you join in and share some food, drink and opinions.

I also noticed that our alumni association is hosting a pregame event at Sagebush in Boone? Good place or what?

App-a-latch-un
December 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM
I also noticed that our alumni association is hosting a pregame event at Sagebush in Boone? Good place or what?

It's a chain restaurant. I've been there twice in 8 years and it wasn't very good. It may be the only place they could get though.

boonegoon
December 1st, 2010, 04:20 PM

Sagebrush. It'll do for your purposes. Kind of got that chain Lonestar Texas Roadhouse feel. Not that far from the stadium but it will be a hike.

james_lawfirm
December 1st, 2010, 04:33 PM

Sagebrush is not your best choice. Since kickoff is at Noon, you have to be thinking breakfast or brunch. A better choice would be the Mountain House on US321. My advice is to get there early, like 8:30 - 9:00. There will be a line, but they move 'em through fast. The breakfast menu is fabulous.

After the game, hang out for the band - I'm not kidding, it's worth your while. Come over to the West side (the side with the 7 story building) to listen. You might as well, you can't leave anyway.

When that's over, I suggest Makoto's Japanese Steakhouse for dinner. Again, there will be a line, but it's worth the wait. We, as in the wife & kids & I, have made Makoto's an after game tradition for the last 17 years. I'll be there. Just look for us in the black & gold!

Aho_Old_Guy
December 1st, 2010, 05:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8vKq_Agiew

Enjoy the weather!

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww165/Back_at_the_Ranch/Appalachian/boone_weather.jpg

It's a chain restaurant. I've been there twice in 8 years and it wasn't very good. It may be the only place they could get though.

They actually serve food, there? Who knew?

App-a-latch-un
December 1st, 2010, 06:21 PM
Sagebrush is not your best choice. Since kickoff is at Noon, you have to be thinking breakfast or brunch. A better choice would be the Mountain House on US321. My advice is to get there early, like 8:30 - 9:00. There will be a line, but they move 'em through fast. The breakfast menu is fabulous.

After the game, hang out for the band - I'm not kidding, it's worth your while. Come over to the West side (the side with the 7 story building) to listen. You might as well, you can't leave anyway.

When that's over, I suggest Makoto's Japanese Steakhouse for dinner. Again, there will be a line, but it's worth the wait. We, as in the wife & kids & I, have made Makoto's an after game tradition for the last 17 years. I'll be there. Just look for us in the black & gold!

Mountain House is a knockoff Cracker Barrell, might not be so great for an alumni association to meet up and mingle, noon kickoff kinda screws up your options.

I'd say get a tailgate spot early and have your fun there, my group is starting at 6 in the morning to ensure a full day of tailgating and football!

After the game Makotos is really good and has great sushi if you're into that, if you want beer and wings I'd head to Murphy's or Boone Saloon. There are a lot of great places to eat in Boone, avoid the chains while you're here and try out some of the local fare. Hob Nob Farm Cafe is probably my favorite place right now. Melanie's is a great place for breakfast, and Black Cat is always delicious. All of these places are in the downtown area of Boone except Makotos.

If you have a wife and you can bear to get drug along so she can buy candles n'such take her over to Blowing Rock....but be warned it's a woman's fantasy and a man's nightmare. It is a pretty quaint town though.

No matter what schedule in some time to see the area, it's gorgeous...as long as there isn't a snow storm.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2010, 07:09 PM
yes, 2003 was the last time the Leathernecks had a playoff win........or for that matter were in the playoffs.

Youngterrier I am drunk with happiness that WIU is in the playoffs. We used to be a powerhouse, and then last seasons inexplicable 1-10 had me playing Creeds come back from the edge song.

Wofford must have MAD CRAZY endowment money, to keep your ship afloat. I mean really in the midwest we have Grand Valley State perenial DII powerhouses with an enrollment approaching 30,000 how the hell do you guys do it? Most of our high schools around here are as big as Wofford.
My current high school is bigger than Wofford :)

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2010, 07:11 PM

? cocaine is one heck of a drug

AppMAN04
December 1st, 2010, 07:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBsSttJsZOc

Yeah this thread has gotten out of hand! xrotatehx

" I SAID ITS GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!!"

CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP

Western_101
December 1st, 2010, 07:42 PM
I would love to go to the game in Boone, Money is not an issue for me (at least not this year) it is just the short time notice. and Boone is not the easiest place to get to. Drive would be looooooong and where is the nearest airport that has a direct connect with Chicago?

I hope it is a good game, App is favored and I give them about a 70% chance of winning. However, 30% odds in Vegas aint bad.

AppMAN04
December 1st, 2010, 07:50 PM
I would love to go to the game in Boone, Money is not an issue for me (at least not this year) it is just the short time notice. and Boone is not the easiest place to get to. Drive would be looooooong and where is the nearest airport that has a direct connect with Chicago?

I hope it is a good game, App is favored and I give them about a 70% chance of winning. However, 30% odds in Vegas aint bad.

Charlotte and Greensboro are roughly the same distance to Boone, give or take 10-15 mins.. Aye man just grab a couple of the fellas and hit the road tomorrow or early Friday, believe me itll be a great experience and youll probably want to end up moving to the NC mtns afterwards:D

AppMan
December 1st, 2010, 07:59 PM
Great, another AppMan version. Come on people, be a little creative here.

AppMAN04
December 1st, 2010, 08:03 PM
Great, another AppMan version. Come on people, be a little creative here.

Umm you are the first I have seen with the name, but I guess you are the original one huh? Mine is 04 because that was the year I graduated from ASU... Anyways pleased to meet you!! My AVY is original!!

You can catch this APPMAN'S T shirts around Boone from time to time chomping on the opposing teams mascot ...

GO APPS!!

Western_101
December 1st, 2010, 08:07 PM
Charlotte and Greensboro are roughly the same distance to Boone, give or take 10-15 mins.. Aye man just grab a couple of the fellas and hit the road tomorrow or early Friday, believe me itll be a great experience and youll probably want to end up moving to the NC mtns afterwards:D

I had a roomate after college whos parrents live in NC, he said it was beautiful there, everyone says it is beautiful there, it looks like it from what I have seen in pics and TV.

Illinois' got corruption and debt up to its ears, much of the area is less than scenic too I can admit, There are parts of Illinois that are beautiful, but probably dosen't compare to NC. However, Illinois is my home, it is what I know and this is where my roots and my identity is, I likely won't move, but never say never.

It really pisses me off that the State of Illinois is Cheating WIU out of MILLIONS of dollars though, we should have had a 1,500 seat Performing Arts Center by now that was approved by the State years ago and then we kept waiting for the check to come in the mail.

That too, also contributed to stalling out the West Side refurbishing of our Stadium, that would add more seats better sight lines, up to standards Press accomidations and 8-10 luxury Boxes...................we are still waiting for that as well.

AppMAN04
December 1st, 2010, 08:17 PM
I had a roomate after college whos parrents live in NC, he said it was beautiful there, everyone says it is beautiful there, it looks like it from what I have seen in pics and TV.

Illinois' got corruption and debt up to its ears, much of the area is less than scenic too I can admit, There are parts of Illinois that are beautiful, but probably dosen't compare to NC. However, Illinois is my home, it is what I know and this is where my roots and my identity is, I likely won't move, but never say never.

It really pisses me off that the State of Illinois is Cheating WIU out of MILLIONS of dollars though, we should have had a 1,500 seat Performing Arts Center by now that was approved by the State years ago and then we kept waiting for the check to come in the mail.

That too, also contributed to stalling out the West Side refurbishing of our Stadium, that would add more seats better sight lines, up to standards Press accomidations and 8-10 luxury Boxes...................we are still waiting for that as well.

You know that sucks! Win a championship or 2 or 3 and believe me they will give you whatever you want.. or have a few more seasons like this and things will change. I just dont think they are going to change yet, because you do have to come through Boone this weekend.

Western_101
December 1st, 2010, 08:35 PM
No, I get what you are sayin bro. success breeds amenities. The thing of it is the stuff I am talking about has been on the shelf for five or six years, just about a year after WIU, beat Montana at Montana and advanced to the Colgate Snow Bowl (lost by 1)

AppChicago
December 1st, 2010, 09:12 PM
I've made the IL to NC drive more times than I'd care to admit. Boone's a good 11-12 hrs from Chicago. Not sure about Peoria. I've been there all of once.

And Charlotte and Greensboro are both about 1.5 hrs from Boone. Not so bad.

Western_101
December 1st, 2010, 09:46 PM
I've made the IL to NC drive more times than I'd care to admit. Boone's a good 11-12 hrs from Chicago. Not sure about Peoria. I've been there all of once.

And Charlotte and Greensboro are both about 1.5 hrs from Boone. Not so bad.

I lived in Chicago for 5 years, used to know my way around pretty good.

Peoria is hardly a blip on the radar (370,000 Metro), but has the 2nd bigest Illinois metro outside of Chicago only behind behind St.Louis East Metro.

There is a sizeable WESTERN fan base in Peoria since Peoria has no football team. Although, ISU is only about 40 minutes away, many folks in Peoria that aren't allumns or send their kids to ISU wont root for ISU because of the Bradley rivalry.

Sorry for babbling.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
I lived in Chicago for 5 years, used to know my way around pretty good.

Peoria is hardly a blip on the radar (370,000 Metro), but has the 2nd bigest Illinois metro outside of Chicago only behind behind St.Louis East Metro.

There is a sizeable WESTERN fan base in Peoria since Peoria has no football team. Although, ISU is only about 40 minutes away, many folks in Peoria that aren't allumns or send their kids to ISU wont root for ISU because of the Bradley rivalry.

Sorry for babbling.

xlolxNo sweat bro, just have the Doctor lower the dosage, it was too high yesterday. You should drop what your doing and go to the game. Don't wait for next year because you never know when you'll get in again - so many things can go wrong on the way.

Rekdiver
December 2nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
Saturday in Boone

Hi: 39 Lo: 23

Cloudy; AM flurries; Afternoon & nighttime light snow (maybe mixed with light rain at lower elev's until evening); SW wind 5-10 mph becoming NW 15-25 (gusts to 45 mph) late at night

Aho_Old_Guy
December 2nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
Madden Does Ray's Weather (http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Rich+Mountain)

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww165/Back_at_the_Ranch/Appalachian/boone_weather-011a.jpg

Burrr xhurrayx

AppChicago
December 2nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
That's chilly! Pity we aren't playing GSU or some other warm-weather team.

CrackerRiley
December 2nd, 2010, 02:14 PM

It's not like our players know what cold weather is like. At least this season. First game under 50 this year, I'd say.

I'm gonna try my hardest to get up around 8am and start drinking. It's gonna be difficult. Only me and one other roommate are able to go to the game Saturday. Whose tailgate can I come by? Maybe with something for me to snack on!

ST_Lawson
December 2nd, 2010, 02:29 PM

Yup, high in the low 30's, it's early in the season, so it feels kinda cold. By February we'd call that light jacket weather.
Either way, it sounds like we've had pretty much the same weather that you've had down in Boone, with a bit more snow down your way. Weather won't be an issue for either team, I suspect.

heath
December 2nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
ASU-42
WIU-17
Game will be over early so the thin skinned can leave early and get warm

AppMan
December 2nd, 2010, 10:36 PM
Umm you are the first I have seen with the name, but I guess you are the original one huh? Mine is 04 because that was the year I graduated from ASU... Anyways pleased to meet you!! My AVY is original!!

You can catch this APPMAN'S T shirts around Boone from time to time chomping on the opposing teams mascot ...

GO APPS!!

Had the name since the old days of the SI message board back in the mid 90's which morphed into the MMB on Delphi back in 1998.

GunsAndGuitars
December 3rd, 2010, 05:34 AM
Once again, I'll be checking the scores from afar. You can't pass up a good cold morning (or afternoon) in the middle of a good rut.

The Apps win at home. It's just what happens. Nothing against WIU, I don't know much about the team, but what I do know is very few teams win in Boone. It's cold, it's windy (that's something WIU is used to), and the air is thinner than lower elevations. It's hard to breathe, it's hard to move, it's impossible to stay warm, and there's 20,000 screaming, drunk, mountain people that CHOSE that place as home for a period of time. That's just the atmosphere though. When you get passed that, you realize that there, across the field from you, is the team that those screaming drunks are there for, and it's not just another team.

WIU fans, I recommend the trip to Boone.

biggie
December 3rd, 2010, 10:07 AM
Weather update.

Cooler than thought earlier in the week.

35 at kick and slowly dropping during the game. No rain likely now, all snow. No accumulations during game but 1-4 inches late evening through Sunday morning. Winds 10-20mph with some gusts occasionally.

ASUG8
December 3rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Weather update.

35 at kick and slowly dropping during the game. No rain likely now, all snow. No accumulations during game but 1-4 inches late evening through Sunday morning. Winds 10-20mph with some gusts occasionally.

That should make my trip down 321 back to SC on Sunday an interesting one. xeyebrowx

biggie
December 3rd, 2010, 10:56 AM
That should make my trip down 321 back to SC on Sunday an interesting one. xeyebrowx
Would assume you'll be in a RWD car like myself, but I'm driving down after the game. The road surface may be warm still, hopefully.

SpeedkingATL
December 3rd, 2010, 12:11 PM

No problem if you drive the Hummer and leave the G8 in SC!

ASUG8
December 3rd, 2010, 01:03 PM
No problem if you drive the Hummer and leave the G8 in SC!

The Hummer belongs to my brother, but both his vehicle and the G8 will be there - I'll be wrestling the G8 down the mountain Sunday.

Western_101
December 3rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
Gettin close now,

who's ready to play, whose ready to go home?

I love FCS football = real football with a real playoff and a real champion.

GunsAndGuitars
December 3rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
The Hummer belongs to my brother, but both his vehicle and the G8 will be there - I'll be wrestling the G8 down the mountain Sunday.

Tie a chain to the back of the G8 and the front of the Hummer. Problem solved.

ASU_Fanatic
December 3rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
I expect us to win but my no means will it be easy. From what I hear WIU has a solid passing attack which scares me to death because we've struggled stopping the pass all year. I think we'll come with a dub but by like 10 points, kind of like how the Furman game was. I'll be there freezing my butt off :)

GO 'NEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ASU_Fanatic
December 3rd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Weather update.

35 at kick and slowly dropping during the game. No rain likely now, all snow. No accumulations during game but 1-4 inches late evening through Sunday morning. Winds 10-20mph with some gusts occasionally.Oh, how we love the high country :)

Western_101
December 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Carolina High country late season cold weather advantage for SoCon member Appalachian State nullified by Yankee weather conditioning.

Appalachian State University home field advantage nullified, by weather, first game playoffs for APP, non name team for app, cold weather for APP, App-athy that this game is a gimmie.

App will have 14K in the stands....we give APP no more than the customary 3 point advantage here, the Bye hurts APP, Western knows about being hurt by the Bye, It lost them the conference Championship, Western is rabid, and probably needs to calm down but, this game could be a real game.

GunsAndGuitars
December 4th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Carolina High country late season cold weather advantage for SoCon member Appalachian State nullified by Yankee weather conditioning.

Appalachian State University home field advantage nullified, by weather, first game playoffs for APP, non name team for app, cold weather for APP, App-athy that this game is a gimmie.

App will have 14K in the stands....we give APP no more than the customary 3 point advantage here, the Bye hurts APP, Western knows about being hurt by the Bye, It lost them the conference Championship, Western is rabid, and probably needs to calm down but, this game could be a real game.

The weather is null, but the elevation is not. I know it's the same argument that it always has been, but ask any GSU, Furman, Wofford, etc. fan and they'll tell you that something in Boone is not normal. That combined with the fact that it's The Rock, and a slight underestimate of fan counts is enough to mess with a lot of teams. App will be rusty in the first half, but don't expect the bye to hold App down for more than 5 minutes.

Henwatcher
December 4th, 2010, 03:45 AM
App State by, at least, 42.

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2010, 06:01 AM
App State by, at least, 42.

Wow! Thanks for the confidence.

AppMAN04
December 4th, 2010, 08:13 AM
We will have around 22000-24000 in the stands is my guess, especially with it being on the week after thanksgiving.. Elevation is in our favor, I am not worried about the weather itself..
PLEATHERNECKS-20
Black and Gold Santa-49

"I SAID ITS GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEEER!"

GSU1-A
December 4th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I say Appy by +20 and ...! Good luck and hopefully see you in Texas!

GunsAndGuitars
December 4th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I say Appy by +20 and ... tonight! Good luck and hopefully see you in Texas!

I think you have confused Boone with Cullowhee sir.

AppMAN04
December 4th, 2010, 09:15 AM
http://thumbnails30.imagebam.com/10939/10f838109381600.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/10f838109381600)

Check out KBS on GAME DAY!!! Drinks are pouring....

cderry
December 4th, 2010, 10:55 AM
The game is being streamed live on ESPN3.com if you have access through your ISP.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Gettin close now,

who's ready to play, whose ready to go home?

I tried to tell ya.......

DJKyR0
December 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM
DJ punches it in! Who needs a QB when our defense and running game can beat anyone?

ASU_Fanatic
December 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Looked great today, I mean we had no passing attack but still dominated WIU. They had no passing attack at all, DeAndre seemed to be a whole step faster than anyone on their defense as well. Solid crowd of 13,200 considering the conditions.

Check out these pics:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1170.snc4/154281_1496809741883_1283289047_31209331_2668934_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs717.snc4/63751_1496812701957_1283289047_31209349_5803266_n. jpg

The snowflakes were HUGE too!

SideLine Shooter
December 8th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Link to photos from the game.

http://sidelineshooter.smugmug.com/Sports/Western-Ill-Univ-ASU/14985794_xRqCA#1119393845_5vVRp