PDA

View Full Version : UNH loses D-coordinator

UNH 40
February 17th, 2006, 08:31 AM
UNH's defensive coordinator of the past three years Mike Dawson has made the move from UNH to coach at Arkon University which is a I-A program on the rise. He was a key component to the turn around at UNH in the past few years. It is unfortunate for UNH, but he deserves it he is a great coach. Good luck Daws.

ChickenMan
February 17th, 2006, 08:46 AM
It is unfortunate for UNH, but he deserves it he is a great coach. Good luck Daws.

The price of success... if you continue to win... it will happen again and again. UD has lost quite a few topnotch assistants over the past fews years... guys like Cohen as HC to Hofstra... Brossard to Maryland and Flood to Rutgers... are a few of the ones that hurt.

SeattleGriz
February 18th, 2006, 02:59 AM
UNH had a D this last year? While a little bit smack, it is really more of a legitimate question. Wasn't UNH 91st and allowing 395 yards per game last year? I would be happy he left.

More seriously, if you guys keep kicking butt like you have been, get used to losing coaches like Chickenman says. Montana had 3 new head coaches over a 5 year span. If that doesn't mess with the team, I don't know what will.

umassfan
February 18th, 2006, 03:03 AM
UNH's defensive coordinator of the past three years Mike Dawson has made the move from UNH to coach at Arkon University which is a I-A program on the rise. He was a key component to the turn around at UNH in the past few years. It is unfortunate for UNH, but he deserves it he is a great coach. Good luck Daws.
Dawson is a former Minutemen as well. He played for us I believe in the 90's

Umass74
February 18th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Dawson was a four year letter winner for the Minutemen and captain in 1997.

I've got an image if him in his UMass playing days in today's post on my UMass Football Blog. Link below.

UNHWildCats
February 18th, 2006, 10:16 AM
UNH had a D this last year? While a little bit smack, it is really more of a legitimate question. Wasn't UNH 91st and allowing 395 yards per game last year? I would be happy he left.

More seriously, if you guys keep kicking butt like you have been, get used to losing coaches like Chickenman says. Montana had 3 new head coaches over a 5 year span. If that doesn't mess with the team, I don't know what will.

How many times must it be pointed out that for the second half of atleast 7 games saw second and third string defenders in the game while teams threw the ball every down trying to make the score a little more respectable.

Ronbo
February 18th, 2006, 11:24 AM
How many times must it be pointed out that for the second half of atleast 7 games saw second and third string defenders in the game while teams threw the ball every down trying to make the score a little more respectable.

That's what happened to the Griz in 2004, we had a great offense and so so defense. But the defense wasn't as bad as the game averages indicated because we would hold teams to 225-250 yards or so through 3 quarters and have a good size lead. Then the coaches would start sending in the 3rd stringers and the opponent would be franticly passing the ball with their starters still in. The game would end with the opponents scoring another 14 points in the 4th quarter and gaining over 400 yards for the game. It was frustrating but gained valuable experience thoughout the roster which gives us depth.

JMU2004
February 18th, 2006, 03:54 PM
That's what happened to the Griz in 2004, we had a great offense and so so defense. But the defense wasn't as bad as the game averages indicated because we would hold teams to 225-250 yards or so through 3 quarters and have a good size lead. Then the coaches would start sending in the 3rd stringers and the opponent would be franticly passing the ball with their starters still in. The game would end with the opponents scoring another 14 points in the 4th quarter and gaining over 400 yards for the game. It was frustrating but gained valuable experience thoughout the roster which gives us depth.

its also why ya'll got steam rolled in the Chipper....there is no such thing as an easy game in the A-10 South, and our players are used to those kind of games

Ronbo
February 18th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Well Maine, Hofstra, and UNH were pretty easy wins. And if we had played you on artificial grass you'd have been history. Till the field went bad we were dominating you. No excuse just fact, our team was built for speed and that field took us out of it. We'd have taken you to the woodshed at Wash/Griz just like we did to the rest your tough A10 brethren.

We'll see you in the playoffs this year. Oh that's right you only go every 5 years. We'll see you in 5 years.

Hansel
February 18th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Well Maine, Hofstra, and UNH were pretty easy wins. And if we had played you on artificial grass you'd have been history. Till the field went bad we were dominating you. No excuse just fact, our team was built for speed and that field took us out of it. We'd have taken you to the woodshed at Wash/Griz just like we did to the rest your tough A10 brethren.

We'll see you in the playoffs this year. Oh that's right you only go every 5 years. We'll see you in 5 years.
For the record UNH, Maine, and Hofstra are all A-10 North teams :)

JMU2004
February 18th, 2006, 04:40 PM

yea, and if the UMass and UD games had been played in good weather, we would have gone deep in the playoffs. JMU is a speed team as well, but we can actually play smash mouth too.

And you only dominated during the 1st quarter.....JMU ran all over you after that, aside from two mental lapses in the 3rd quarter

ChickenMan
February 18th, 2006, 06:31 PM
yea, and if the UMass and UD games had been played in good weather, we would have gone deep in the playoffs. JMU is a speed team as well, but we can actually play smash mouth too.

Odd that the supposed 'weather' factor .... didn't seem to slow down Omar Cuff and UD rushing game... as Cuff ran for 236 and the Hens as a team... over 330 on the ground vs JMU that day...

JMU2004
February 18th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Odd that the supposed 'weather' factor .... didn't seem to slow down Omar Cuff and UD rushing game... as Cuff ran for 236 and the Hens as a team... over 330 on the ground vs JMU that day...

i am not saying that UD won because of a bad field.......... just saying that I would like to have seen the result on a dry field. Cuff torches JMU no matter what, but I know that the friggin belly option(which really was the only UD play) would not have been as succesful in dry weather.

Its a moot point though...........Cuff beat JMU pretty badly on that day

blukeys
February 19th, 2006, 12:07 AM
For the record UNH, Maine, and Hofstra are all A-10 North teams :)

Way to go Hansel!! we gotta get you guys in the playoffs sooner than 5 years. At least you do your homework!!!

umassfan
February 19th, 2006, 02:42 AM
its also why ya'll got steam rolled in the Chipper....there is no such thing as an easy game in the A-10 South, and our players are used to those kind of games

The A10 south wasnt even the best half of the A10 last season!

February 19th, 2006, 03:01 AM
The A10 south wasnt even the best half of the A10 last season!:confused: Explain.

jmuroller
February 19th, 2006, 03:00 PM

You can't be serioius. Speed is what JMU is known for. We couldn't rush the passer because of the field. If anything, the field kept it close.

February 19th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Well Maine, Hofstra, and UNH were pretty easy wins...Maine and Hofstra were easy???

MR. CHICKEN
February 19th, 2006, 09:56 PM
The A10 south wasnt even the best half of the A10 last season!

RICHMOND....IS IN DUH SOUFF!..................BRAWK!

WHERE ARE DEM LITTLE SMILEY THINGS??????????...AWQ!

February 19th, 2006, 11:34 PM
RICHMOND....IS IN DUH SOUFF!..................BRAWK!

WHERE ARE DEM LITTLE SMILEY THINGS??????????...AWQ!Smileys are now a pulldown menu above the post message box.

GrizRchattybound
February 20th, 2006, 08:19 AM

http://www.suck.com/filler/96/05/15/blah.gif

my perfect 2006 scenario has you clowns back in there against Montana....and the Griz blowing your arses off the artificial turf in 2006.

see ya in December....we'll be there, will you?

relax....just kidding- hope we'ree there..love to face you guys- payback and all

colgate13
February 20th, 2006, 08:50 AM
there is no such thing as an easy game in the A-10 South, and our players are used to those kind of games
unbelievable. First it was that they A-10 was so tough, no easy games, etc. but now that it is split the posturing has to go even further that it is the A-10 South that has no easy games.: smash :

FWIW, Villanova looked like an 'easy' game to A-10 South teams last season:

Richmond 38-20
W&M 21-35
Towson 40-19
JMU 28-13
UD 38-13

With the exception of William & Mary (who themselves went 5-6 last year but played closer games IMO), Villanova was beat on average 35-16.

Their only wins besides W&M were against a down and rebuilding Penn squad, a horrendous Bucknell team, and an almost as horrendous Northeastern squad.