PDA

View Full Version : Who is this years spoiler?

Milktruck74
November 22nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
So who is the play in team that knocks off a seed in the second round? Which team that squeeked into the playoffs is going to do the most damage to the bracket?

I'm going with GSU. I would not be suprised to see them in the semi finals.

Tribe07
November 22nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
I would not be suprised to see them in the semi finals.

I would.

Milktruck74
November 22nd, 2010, 08:47 PM
I would.

They aren't afraid of playing the underdog and they have only gotten better as the year has progressed.

Gil Dobie
November 22nd, 2010, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see GSU or UNI advance farther than expected.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 22nd, 2010, 08:58 PM
UNH is by far the best unseeded team in the playoffs, but I'm hoping that they don't play the spoiler. I could see Wofford doing some damage in their bracket.

Wildcat80
November 22nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
UNH is by far the best unseeded team in the playoffs, but I'm hoping that they don't play the spoiler. I could see Wofford doing some damage in their bracket.

I'm getting worried bluhen...i'm agreeing with you again.

LeadBolt
November 22nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Villanova

bigchocolate
November 22nd, 2010, 09:47 PM
SC State Bulldogs with big wins at GSU and William and Mary. Defense wins championships!

LeadBolt
November 22nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
SC State Bulldogs with big wins at GSU and William and Mary. Defense wins championships!

Yes it does and W&M's is top notch.

1andDone
November 22nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
Georgia Southern

jmufan999
November 22nd, 2010, 10:45 PM
I'm going with GSU. I would not be suprised to see them in the semi finals.

I could see them going to the finals.

Skjellyfetti
November 23rd, 2010, 12:19 AM
Wofford

Appattk
November 23rd, 2010, 02:05 AM
I'm going to say Villanova with the talents of Szczur back in the mix... If there is a team that could be App in their bracket it would be them..

AppMAN04
November 23rd, 2010, 04:40 AM
I think SCSU could possibly play spoiler.. Im so excited, lets go playoffs!!

Oldhen
November 23rd, 2010, 05:20 AM
Villanova

I'm inclined to agree. They were a hard luck team, but never a bad team. If the travel to Texas isn't too much, they should beat SFA. I'm betting they get to Boone with a semi-healthy Szczur... and that'll be a good one. They are big, strong, and fast.

My second choice is GSU... I think they have an awfully good chance of getting past SCSU and doing well in Billburg... not so much because of their option offense, which W&M doesn't get to play against much, but because of they way they're built on defense. I have an awfully hard time seeing the Tribe scoring a lot in that one.

Spiderbone
November 23rd, 2010, 05:53 AM
I am going to say Georgia Southern. They held Navy to their lowest point total of the year and gave APPY their only loss....one big hurdle is getting through the Tribe in Williamsburg.

LeadBolt
November 23rd, 2010, 06:17 AM
I'm inclined to agree. They were a hard luck team, but never a bad team. If the travel to Texas isn't too much, they should beat SFA. I'm betting they get to Boone with a semi-healthy Szczur... and that'll be a good one. They are big, strong, and fast.

My second choice is GSU... I think they have an awfully good chance of getting past SCSU and doing well in Billburg... not so much because of their option offense, which W&M doesn't get to play against much, but because of they way they're built on defense. I have an awfully hard time seeing the Tribe scoring a lot in that one.

GSU is a tough match up for the Tribe. Here's hoping that the guys are spending time on the triple option.

Oldhen
November 23rd, 2010, 06:47 AM
GSU is a tough match up for the Tribe. Here's hoping that the guys are spending time on the triple option.

Over the past ten years, we've played GSU three times, Wofford once, and Navy four times... and there are a lot of similarities among them on offense. Even those years when we had a good rushing defense (and several of those years we were very strong against the run) option football can give you fits. You do a good job playing assignment defense 5-6-7 times, and the next one goes sixty yards. It's really one of those things that you need to prepare for every year, and even then it's tough.

For instance with GSU... two of their losses were to Navy and Wofford. Wonder why?

Tribe4SF
November 23rd, 2010, 07:23 AM
SCSU/GSU will, of course, be interesting for Tribe fans. The concern for these two is that they both play defense. SCSU may have played a lesser schedule, but their defensive stats are eye-popping. GSU is largely one dimensional, and I'll be very interested to see how they fare offensively in the game. Having played Georgia Tech, SCSU has seen the speed of the triple-option before. They'll have to do a better job containing it than they did against the YellowJackets.

GaSouthern
November 23rd, 2010, 07:39 AM
I think GSU could get past W&M but if they had to go to Del I don't expect to survive past them.

EDIT: With that said, i'm not saying SCSU is a win, that game is gonna be a brawl.

Gil Dobie
November 23rd, 2010, 07:44 AM

From my point of view, I would not consider a CAA team with a first round bye a spoiler. UNH has some good wins on their schedule, and should be favorites to win their first game. Just my perception. :)

SpeedkingATL
November 23rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Of the unseeded teams Wofford, Nova, UNH and GaSo could make some noise and any one of those making it to the final would not be shocking. GaSo would be the biggest surprise as they were picked as low as 7th in the SoCon preseason and lost to Samford before getting traction the last 3 games. Option teams are always dangerous as many teams don't see one until the playoffs and have little time to prepare and the scout teams can't really learn to run it that quickly. If Nova and App play in the 3rd round it will feel almost like a final....except at The Rock.

MacThor
November 23rd, 2010, 08:39 AM

Interesting. How sure are they that they'll be facing GSU? ;)

Actually, it raises a good question. It's been a long time since we had playoff byes. How are the bye teams handling it - especially the seeds, who don't know who their first round matchup is? It's almost an advantage for the "middle eight" teams since they have two weeks to scout their opponents. Are the teams actually getting to go home for Thanksgiving this year?

darell1976
November 23rd, 2010, 08:40 AM
IMO NDSU is the most dangerous team in the playoffs. They can win against FBS teams and can win big games. If you under-estimate them they will kill you. So my prediction is if NDSU can win at Montana State they have a great chance at running the table to Texas!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
Nobody has picked Lehigh as their spoiler.

http://www.pharfruminsain.com/Graphics/images/free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

DJKyR0
November 23rd, 2010, 08:49 AM
Playing at App St. isn't a fate I'd wish upon my worst enemies (with the exception being UND, that'd be hilarious) but WIU might have a better shot than it initially seems if they can advance to the second round. Matt Barr has seriously turned this team around and ever since they absolutely dismantled Ill. St. I've regarded them as a very capable, if not dangerous team. Lito Senatus is a straight-up ridiculous WR and their RB tandem might be the best 1-2 in the MVFC.

Not necessarily picking WIU to beat App State, but I'm eager to watch that game.

Milktruck74
November 23rd, 2010, 09:57 AM
The only thing that is certain this year, is that almost anybody can make a run.

Milktruck74
November 23rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
I love the playoffs!!!

Nebuta
November 23rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
UNH hands down. They can really do some damage in this tourney. I wouldnt be suprised if they lift the trophey in Frisco.

mcveyrl
November 23rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
I filled out my bracket and have Wofford beating W&M - sorry Tribe fans, just a hunch. I hope I'm wrong because I also have App beating Villanova that same round. If two SoCons beat two CAAs on the same weekend....well, we all know what's going to happen.

I ALSO have EWU pulling off the upset in Boone in the semis. I don't know if that's a true spoiler or not, but it would be a big upset.

Those are the only real "spoiler" type deals I have.

Other than that, I could see any of the opening round games go a different way than most - including me - have predicted.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
I filled out my bracket and have Wofford beating W&M - sorry Tribe fans, just a hunch. I hope I'm wrong because I also have App beating Villanova that same round. If two SoCons beat two CAAs on the same weekend....well, we all know what's going to happen.

Liberty University will freeze over? xlolx

Redhawk2010
November 23rd, 2010, 11:35 AM
IMO NDSU is the most dangerous team in the playoffs. They can win against FBS teams and can win big games. If you under-estimate them they will kill you. So my prediction is if NDSU can win at Montana State they have a great chance at running the table to Texas!

Or they can not score against a completely AWFUL defense! Guess it just depends on which team decides to show up that day..

DJKyR0
November 23rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
Or they can not score against a completely AWFUL defense! Guess it just depends on which team decides to show up that day..

Unfortunately, this. Even against Morgan State and USD the Bison struggled offensively, at least in the first half. A lot of Bison fans are calling for a new O-coordinator but with our defense playing the way it is we have a chance in any game, particularly if we're playing a school outside a top-3 conference. I like our chances.

UNI Pike
November 23rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
NDSU needs a QB. How is the "be a QB for a day" raffle going?

Ivytalk
November 23rd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Georgia Southern gets my vote.

WMTribe90
November 23rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'm worried about a potential match-up with GSU. WM hasn't faced a triple option offense in over two years. The only time we faced any sort of option look (JMU), we strugled to stop it for most of the game. I do believe GSU has been improving over the coarse of the season and their defense is legit. Though, holding Navy to a season low isn't that impressive. You'd think a team that runs the option would know best how to defend it.

My hope is that the Tribe players and staff operate under the assumption that GSU will win and start preparing this week to face the triple option. If SCSU wins, one week of standard game prep should be enough.

If WM ends up beating GSU, I'd have no problem facing Wofford the following week, once we've proven we can defend against the option.

cderry
November 23rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
I love the playoffs!!!

You guys listening, FBS?

mcveyrl
November 23rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
I'm worried about a potential match-up with GSU. WM hasn't faced a triple option offense in over two years. The only time we faced any sort of option look (JMU), we strugled to stop it for most of the game. I do believe GSU has been improving over the coarse of the season and their defense is legit. Though, holding Navy to a season low isn't that impressive. You'd think a team that runs the option would know best how to defend it.

My hope is that the Tribe players and staff operate under the assumption that GSU will win and start preparing this week to face the triple option. If SCSU wins, one week of standard game prep should be enough.

If WM ends up beating GSU, I'd have no problem facing Wofford the following week, once we've proven we can defend against the option.

My fear for the tribe there is that Wofford is a lot more experienced at running the TO and will probably watch your win over GSU about 40 times on Monday. So, not only will you have to defend the TO again, but Laycock and his staff are going to have to try and figure out the next level/wrinkles of it to stop Wofford. That's why I picked the upset in the quarters. Again, hoping I'm wrong...like 30+ points wrong.

Walkon79
November 23rd, 2010, 12:38 PM
Very concerned about EWU although not really a spoiler pick since they're seeded. It's going to be hard to stop T. Jones twice in the same season and they've been on a roll lately. Thankfully they would have to come to our house again and we don't have to see the red carpet until next Fall !!

I don't think NDSU has the offensive horsepower to make any noise past the first round. A one-dimensional team has very little chance to go deep in the playoffs.

My wishful spoiler is Nova all the way to the semis, but is that really a spoiler being the defending Champs?

SpeedkingATL
November 23rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
My fear for the tribe there is that Wofford is a lot more experienced at running the TO and will probably watch your win over GSU about 40 times on Monday. So, not only will you have to defend the TO again, but Laycock and his staff are going to have to try and figure out the next level/wrinkles of it to stop Wofford. That's why I picked the upset in the quarters. Again, hoping I'm wrong...like 30+ points wrong.

Against App it was GaSo's QB Jimbo Shaw's passing that made a big difference along with a very agressive defense. Wofford's passing game was not very impressive. GaSo is a little less one dimensional IMHO.

AmsterBison
November 23rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
NDSU needs a QB. How is the "be a QB for a day" raffle going?

Spinal Tap drummers. Defense Against the Dark teachers at Hogwarts. NDSU QBs.

Jobs you may want to avoid.

(also would have accepted: People prone to spontaneous combustion.)

tribefan40
November 23rd, 2010, 12:54 PM

I ALSO have EWU pulling off the upset in Boone in the semis. I don't know if that's a true spoiler or not, but it would be a big upset.

Those are the only real "spoiler" type deals I have.

Other than that, I could see any of the opening round games go a different way than most - including me - have predicted.

I also have Wofford coming to the Tribe but I'm anticipating a Tribe victory. It will be very interesting to see who we get in the second round but either way I don't think GSU and SCSU have enough offense to hang with us. The option does concern me, but with time to prepare (unlike the JMU game) we have the athletes to bend not break (see our stats in total defense vs. scoring defense). We will be at home and have played at an entirely different level in Zable this year. We've managed to score when we needed to and have won the close ones. I think that with scsu/gsu and wofford/jsu it will be close, hard fought games, but theres just as much chance of us winning in a walk. xtwocentsx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
Y'all are going to blow a gasket laughing, but my spoiler is Robert Morris. I think they are going to beat NDSU, and they're going to give Montana State a whale of a game and maybe beat them.

mcveyrl
November 23rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
I also have Wofford coming to the Tribe but I'm anticipating a Tribe victory. It will be very interesting to see who we get in the second round but either way I don't think GSU and SCSU have enough offense to hang with us. The option does concern me, but with time to prepare (unlike the JMU game) we have the athletes to bend not break (see our stats in total defense vs. scoring defense). We will be at home and have played at an entirely different level in Zable this year. We've managed to score when we needed to and have won the close ones. I think that with scsu/gsu and wofford/jsu it will be close, hard fought games, but theres just as much chance of us winning in a walk. xtwocentsx

Yep. If you guys defend the TO well off the bat or it's not clicking right and you score the points you can score, there's no coming back, especially for Wofford.

ButlerGSU
November 23rd, 2010, 01:40 PM
While I appreciate the respect, I really wish people would pick against Georgia Southern this Saturday against SCSU...I get really nervous when people start thinking we will win. Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

UNHFootballAlum
November 23rd, 2010, 03:31 PM

The problem with the TO offense is that it is not a come from behind offense. if a team can gt up early on GSU or Wofford, they will have to play catch up all game long. That is not the strength of the TO Offense

UNHFootballAlum
November 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
While I appreciate the respect, I really wish people would pick against Georgia Southern this Saturday against SCSU...I get really nervous when people start thinking we will win. Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

I actually think that SCSU will beat GSU this weekend

ButlerGSU
November 23rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
I actually think that SCSU will beat GSU this weekend

Thank you!

ButlerGSU
November 23rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
The problem with the TO offense is that it is not a come from behind offense. if a team can gt up early on GSU or Wofford, they will have to play catch up all game long. That is not the strength of the TO Offense

You must have missed our games with Wofford, App State and Furman this year...

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
You must have missed our games with Wofford, App State and Furman this year...

well Wofford did spot you 9 points....

GaSouthern
November 23rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
well Wofford did spot you 9 points....

I think his point is that yall came back

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
I think his point is that yall came back

no we only trailed once in that game by less than a TD

heath
November 23rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Which 4 loss team will win the ring?Plenty to choose from.

Milktruck74
November 23rd, 2010, 10:10 PM

Based on what I've seen, Woffy will be a bigger threat to W&M. GSU is strong, but Brietnestien is the real deal....and when you are tired of him getting 8 yards a carry and stuff the box, they will dump one over your head for 6.

LeadBolt
November 23rd, 2010, 10:20 PM
Interesting. How sure are they that they'll be facing GSU? ;)

Actually, it raises a good question. It's been a long time since we had playoff byes. How are the bye teams handling it - especially the seeds, who don't know who their first round matchup is? It's almost an advantage for the "middle eight" teams since they have two weeks to scout their opponents. Are the teams actually getting to go home for Thanksgiving this year?

Not at all sure they'll face GSU, but they haven't seen the TO in a couple of years. They have seen offenses like SCSU's. Even if they don't see GSU, they may see Wofford with the TO. Therefore it would seem prudent to be studying and preparing for the TO until they know who they'll face.

Dakota4570
November 24th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Y'all are going to blow a gasket laughing, but my spoiler is Robert Morris. I think they are going to beat NDSU, and they're going to give Montana State a whale of a game and maybe beat them.

Great. Even Coach Bohl is betting against the Bison now.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2010, 06:00 AM
If the Bison can get by RM, IMO, the Bison will do very well against MSU. If our running game is "on" that day we win.

The Gadfly
November 24th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Don't forget the lowly 5 loss team (are we the only one? . . . yep)

Walkon79
November 24th, 2010, 11:42 AM
If the Bison can get by RM, IMO, the Bison will do very well against MSU. If our running game is "on" that day we win.

Could luck trying to keep pace scoring-wise. You might get your yards and points, but can you score 30 plus? That's what it's going to take to win that game. Stay one-dimensional and the Cats will run and pass you out of Bobcat stadium.

SalukiJim
November 24th, 2010, 01:16 PM
You guys listening, FBS?

Apparently not...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5845736&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

From the article:

Gee I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.

-- Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee

to quote the movie Office Space, "what a no-talent @$$-clown!"

wr70beh
November 24th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Villanova

Agreed. They've got Szczur back, and they're right where they need to be. SFA is about to get rolled.

See above

Wildcat80
November 24th, 2010, 07:48 PM

I'd love to see that!!

Milktruck74
November 24th, 2010, 07:49 PM
me to.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 24th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Agreed. They've got Szczur back, and they're right where they need to be. SFA is about to get rolled.

See above

It's hard to think of the defending national champs as a spoiler team, but given their record coming into the playoffs, I guess it could work. I have little doubt that Nova will absolutely destroy SFA. I'm torn about whether I'd rather face App State or Nova in a potential NC game if the Hens make it that far.

TheBisonator
November 24th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I'm just gonna let NDSU's play on the field speak for itself. There is no way an NEC team comes into Fargo and beats us.

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2010, 11:04 PM

When thinking spoiler, Nova did not enter my mind .. they should womp SFA and looking to them to take down Appy as well setting up the rematch against Delaware for it all

TC CAT
November 25th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Everything points to BCU. I don't see them winning a NC but, they are going to ruin someone's bracket. xnodxxnodx

nmatsen
November 25th, 2010, 07:12 AM

You mean win big games like Conference openers on the road against perrenial Valley champ Northern Iowa? Or big games like ones against Missouri State when all they have to do is win (score 6 points) against a losing team and secure a first round bye and a home game? I am not sure what big games you speak of here Darell?

Saint3333
November 25th, 2010, 08:43 AM
UNH hands down. They can really do some damage in this tourney. I wouldnt be suprised if they lift the trophey in Frisco.

UNH has had much better teams lose in the second round. I expect UD to hand them their typical exit.

Mattymc727
November 25th, 2010, 11:22 AM
UNH has had much better teams lose in the second round. I expect UD to hand them their typical exit.

While our offense is nothing special, this is the best defense UNH has ever had. If im not mistaken I think its top ten in FCS (somebody correct me), and thats against CAA offenses. I dont think we have the oline or depth to lift the trophy, but we could certainly beat anyone in the field except maybe App (dont know their talent level because I have not seen them yet).

Milktruck74
November 25th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Nova a spoiler????? I know if they make the finals it will absolutly spoil Frisco's chances of selling out!!!