PDA

View Full Version : What we learned from the Playoff selections

GSU Eagle
November 22nd, 2010, 06:14 PM
Several things appear clear:

1. The non-scholarship schools are not going to be selected to the FCS playoffs. I am not saying that is a bad thing, but the committee made it clear this year that even a 10-1 team will not be selected over a 7-4 FCS team from one of the "power conferences"

2. If a team is from the SoCon, CAA, MVC, or Big Sky and they get 7 D1 wins it appears that they will be in the playoffs.

3. Loses to top 1A teams do not effect very much if at all a team' s placement in the playoffs.

4. It seems that regional concerns are starting to lessen with teams being sent more distances to play.

Others?

gasoutherneagle
November 22nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
HEY... How bout that six win auto-bid, huh!?! xthumbsupx

wmmii
November 22nd, 2010, 06:47 PM

4. It seems that regional concerns are starting to lessen with teams being sent more distances to play.

Others?

With 20 teams and an extra round they cannot be pefect.
They did do a good job of keeping teams in the East and West with bunching GS, Woff, JS, SCST, WM all in the same bracket plus NDS, MS, SMS, EW in the same. Dowside is bunching of conference teams in these brackets

danefan
November 22nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
My thoughts:

1. The GPI is no longer an accurate playoff predictor with the 20-team bracket and the Committee doesn't really care what it says. There are about 4 teams that would be in over SCST if it was and another 3 or 4 that would be playing in the opening round instead of having a bye if the GPI was used at all.

2. Its better to play no one, rack up lackluster wins and only lose to teams you are "supposed to lose to" then it is to play up and win some games (even FBS wins) (SCST vs. Liberty).

3. Its better to play no one, rack up lackluster wins and only lose to teams you are "supposed to lose to"..........if you're willing to pay for full scholarships (SCST vs. Jacksonville).

4. The NCAA wants the least amount of teams from the lower conferences in the 2nd round as posslbe (e.g. RMU not playing Lehigh).....there are plenty of teams that should probably be playing in the opening round this week that aren't (e.g. SEMO and BCU) and that would have solved the # of MVFC teams having to play each other.

5. You aren't getting in with 6 DI wins. If Montana couldn't buy their way in, no one can.

insideout08
November 22nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
HEY... How bout that six win auto-bid, huh!?! xthumbsupx

Not the first time, I believe.

clawman
November 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM

1. The non-scholarship schools are not going to be selected to the FCS playoffs. I am not saying that is a bad thing, but the committee made it clear this year that even a 10-1 team will not be selected over a 7-4 FCS team from one of the "power conferences"

2. If a team is from the SoCon, CAA, MVC, or Big Sky and they get 7 D1 wins it appears that they will be in the playoffs.

3. Loses to top 1A teams do not effect very much if at all a team' s placement in the playoffs.

Others?

Apparently regional concerns over ride polls. EWU is ranked #1 in two major polls and seeded #5 so as to be in their region of the country.
SUCKS!!

HensRock
November 22nd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Not the first time, I believe.

Montana State 2002 played 12 games, 2 against Div-II that went 1-1.
They were 7-5 overall, 6-4 in Div-I, but this would count as 6-5 for playoff consideration because while non Div I wins do not count, non Div-I losses DO.

Lost in first round to McNeese.

dasjamin
November 22nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
If you are in the CAA you will get a bye. (x4)
If you win your conference in a power conference you don't necessarily get a bye even though there are two Ohio Valley teams who do.

UNI Pike
November 22nd, 2010, 07:54 PM
Selection committees the OVC and MEAC enough to give two slots each. However, the committee is still not allowing the conferences to break the OVC & MEAC playoff streak of 0-22 wins since 2001 by pairing up the teams to guarantee a win. Could it soon be 0-26 over 10 years?

james_lawfirm
November 22nd, 2010, 08:16 PM

Others?

I agree with #3 & #4; the other two, not so much. I would observe that where SOS & win/loss record conflict, SOS governs. In other words, if one must choose between a team with a 10-1 record & very low SOS and another team with a 7 - 4 record & a very high SOS, then the team with the high SOS gets in; see GaSo vs. Jaxnvil. Teams in weak conferences have inherently low SOS & it is tough for them to climb. This explains some of the favoring of the conferences you mention. I saw Jaxnvil play ASU & they were much improved from a couple years ago, but still, I think they are not top 25 yet. Maybe one day.

LehighGuy
November 22nd, 2010, 08:54 PM
#354 The NCAA is a shallow money trench filled with low-level functionaries who care more about attendance trends and hot dog prices than they do about football talent.

Milktruck74
November 22nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
#354 The NCAA is a shallow money trench filled with low-level functionaries who care more about attendance trends and hot dog prices than they do about football talent.

We found this out when they moved the game out of Chattanooga!

emilimo701
November 23rd, 2010, 12:20 AM
Apparently regional concerns over ride polls. EWU is ranked #1 in two major polls and seeded #5 so as to be in their region of the country.
SUCKS!!

I don't think region had to do with the seeding. That is my strong opinion. If Montana State was a clear-cut better team than Delaware, they get the 3 seed. If they only lost one game that would probably be enough to prove that. I see no problem with the seeding.

emilimo701
November 23rd, 2010, 12:22 AM

I'm guessing you're mad that your team doesn't have home game?

emilimo701
November 23rd, 2010, 12:24 AM
If you are in the CAA you will get a bye. (x4)
If you win your conference in a power conference you don't necessarily get a bye even though there are two Ohio Valley teams who do.

You think Villanova or New Hampshire would be underdogs to any of the current first-round teams? The bracket seems pretty merit-based to me.

emilimo701
November 23rd, 2010, 12:25 AM
Selection committees the OVC and MEAC enough to give two slots each. However, the committee is still not allowing the conferences to break the OVC & MEAC playoff streak of 0-22 wins since 2001 by pairing up the teams to guarantee a win. Could it soon be 0-26 over 10 years?

So it's the committee that's losing the games for them, not the players?

Squealofthepig
November 23rd, 2010, 12:37 AM
If the NCAA was just a money whore, you would've seen Montana in this year. Given how much money they could've accepted from the Griz, I don't think that argument is persuasive.

On EWU - OK, I don't think a #5 seed is right. But #1? Really? Over ASU? I don't see it. One tough road conference loss, and one FBS loss at Florida, and outright dominance despite losing one of the best quarterbacks in FCS history. (In full disclosure, I had EWU behind ASU, at #2 in my final AGS poll - I'm an Eagles fan, and think the #5 seed is a bit low, but I couldn't argue they should be ahead of ASU in FCS seeds).

WrenFGun
November 23rd, 2010, 07:21 AM
I think what we saw is that ranking and perception matter just as much this year as GPI might. South Carolina State is not a deserving playoff team, but because the pollsters thought they were, it looks like they got in for that reason. I agree with Danefan that the GPI was not a particularly useful measure this season, though possibly not as strongly as he does (I just don't think any of the teams mentioned were terribly qualified to get in).

I don't really understand what the committee is doing with regard to wins vs. quality of wins. South Carolina State got in because they had a lot of wins, but Jacksonville did not get in because they had a lot of wins with no signature wins. I don't see a win over FAMU as any different as a win over ODU, and since Jacksonville had 1 more win, I would have expected they get in. Just didn't make any sense to me. Just doesn't seem PFL will get in without an Autobid. I'd like to say they should play a more challenging OOC schedule but I'm not sure it'd make a difference. JU played both Appalachian State and ODU non-conference, which is nothing to scoff at and is far more than SCST did.

ATX_EWUGrad
November 23rd, 2010, 08:06 AM
Montana State's seeding had everything to do with winning the tie breaker in the BSC and getting the AQ. Had MSU lost to Montana, EWU would have more than likely been the #2 seed. The committee couldn't justify seeding EWU higher than MSU when they were the AQ. The only reason Delaware isn't the #4 seed right now is so not to completely screw over Delaware and EWU with cross country trips for their potential 2nd round games. Delaware being the #4 seed screws over EWU by making them go cross country for a QF match up, and Delaware being a #5 seed screws Delaware by making them go cross country for a QF match up. They weren't going to do that, so the solution was to swap spots with MSU and Delaware. Cheney to Boseman is a nothing trip, and the price EWU has to pay for not being the AQ and outright champ from the BSC.

danefan
November 23rd, 2010, 08:47 AM
I think what we saw is that ranking and perception matter just as much this year as GPI might. South Carolina State is not a deserving playoff team, but because the pollsters thought they were, it looks like they got in for that reason. I agree with Danefan that the GPI was not a particularly useful measure this season, though possibly not as strongly as he does (I just don't think any of the teams mentioned were terribly qualified to get in).

I don't really understand what the committee is doing with regard to wins vs. quality of wins. South Carolina State got in because they had a lot of wins, but Jacksonville did not get in because they had a lot of wins with no signature wins. I don't see a win over FAMU as any different as a win over ODU, and since Jacksonville had 1 more win, I would have expected they get in. Just didn't make any sense to me. Just doesn't seem PFL will get in without an Autobid. I'd like to say they should play a more challenging OOC schedule but I'm not sure it'd make a difference. JU played both Appalachian State and ODU non-conference, which is nothing to scoff at and is far more than SCST did.

Only one plausible explanation - scholarships.

MacThor
November 23rd, 2010, 08:56 AM
Montana State's seeding had everything to do with winning the tie breaker in the BSC and getting the AQ. Had MSU lost to Montana, EWU would have more than likely been the #2 seed. The committee couldn't justify seeding EWU higher than MSU when they were the AQ. The only reason Delaware isn't the #4 seed right now is so not to completely screw over Delaware and EWU with cross country trips for their potential 2nd round games. Delaware being the #4 seed screws over EWU by making them go cross country for a QF match up, and Delaware being a #5 seed screws EWU by making them go cross country for a QF match up. They weren't going to do that, so the solution was to swap spots with MSU and Delaware. Cheney to Boseman is a nothing trip, and the price EWU has to pay for not being the AQ and outright champ from the BSC.

Interesting. I guess they could have made MSU 2, EWU 3, WM 4 and UD 5 and accomplished the same thing.

ATX_EWUGrad
November 23rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Interesting. I guess they could have made MSU 2, EWU 3, WM 4 and UD 5 and accomplished the same thing.

You would have accomplished the same thing, but then by doing that it would have indicated that the BSC is a stronger conference than the CAA, and everyone would have been up in arms over that as the Big Sky has either been #2 or #3 conference in terms of overall strength of conference behind the CAA. This to me as much as I hate it, is the lesser of two evils that the committee chose to do. You'll piss less people off doing what they did, than doing what you suggested IMO.

UNI Pike
November 23rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
So it's the committee that's losing the games for them, not the players?

It's always the committee's fault. Just look at the number of "we got jobbed" threads on this board.

Seriously, if the OVC & MEAC flame out this year, the fans better be eating crow like Kobayashi eats hot dogs. You can't get much more of a favorable first game draw that what happened.

Walkon79
November 23rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Montana State's seeding had everything to do with winning the tie breaker in the BSC and getting the AQ. Had MSU lost to Montana, EWU would have more than likely been the #2 seed. The committee couldn't justify seeding EWU higher than MSU when they were the AQ. The only reason Delaware isn't the #4 seed right now is so not to completely screw over Delaware and EWU with cross country trips for their potential 2nd round games. Delaware being the #4 seed screws over EWU by making them go cross country for a QF match up, and Delaware being a #5 seed screws Delaware by making them go cross country for a QF match up. They weren't going to do that, so the solution was to swap spots with MSU and Delaware. Cheney to Boseman is a nothing trip, and the price EWU has to pay for not being the AQ and outright champ from the BSC.

I think this is spot on

Walkon79
November 23rd, 2010, 12:18 PM

The only reason it wasn't this way IMO is the MSU loss to NAU later in the season. EWU's winning streak is a couple of games longer than MSU's.

Black Saturday
November 23rd, 2010, 12:23 PM
My thoughts:

1. The GPI is no longer an accurate playoff predictor with the 20-team bracket and the Committee doesn't really care what it says. There are about 4 teams that would be in over SCST if it was and another 3 or 4 that would be playing in the opening round instead of having a bye if the GPI was used at all.

2. Its better to play no one, rack up lackluster wins and only lose to teams you are "supposed to lose to" then it is to play up and win some games (even FBS wins) (SCST vs. Liberty).

3. Its better to play no one, rack up lackluster wins and only lose to teams you are "supposed to lose to"..........if you're willing to pay for full scholarships (SCST vs. Jacksonville).

4. The NCAA wants the least amount of teams from the lower conferences in the 2nd round as posslbe (e.g. RMU not playing Lehigh).....there are plenty of teams that should probably be playing in the opening round this week that aren't (e.g. SEMO and BCU) and that would have solved the # of MVFC teams having to play each other.

5. You aren't getting in with 6 DI wins. If Montana couldn't buy their way in, no one can.

The GPI was invented for the CAA. xlolx

WileECoyote06
November 23rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
It's always the committee's fault. Just look at the number of "we got jobbed" threads on this board.

Seriously, if the OVC & MEAC flame out this year, the fans better be eating crow like Kobayashi eats hot dogs. You can't get much more of a favorable first game draw that what happened.

They didn't do the MEAC teams any favors at all. But if they lose, then .. . they lost. We'll go to the legacy bowl in 2011 and be on ESPN. December 17, 2011. . get ready.

UAalum72
November 23rd, 2010, 02:26 PM
They didn't do the MEAC teams any favors at all. But if they lose, then .. . they lost. We'll go to the legacy bowl in 2011 and be on ESPN. December 17, 2011. . get ready.
I'd say giving Bethune-Cookman a first-round bye and putting SCSU in at all, and vs. one of the other last at-large teams in, makes two HUGE favors.

Humble Steward
November 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
I'd say giving Bethune-Cookman a first-round bye and putting SCSU in at all, and vs. one of the other last at-large teams in, makes two HUGE favors.

I'm sorry but B-CU was two quarters away from an undefeated season, before their 1st and 2nd string QB's were injured. That's part of the game, but a first-round bye and a home game was not a favor. Not buying that at all. I just hope that Matt Johnson's (QB) injury was not as severe as we think.

Spiderbone
November 23rd, 2010, 02:44 PM
Hey I have an idea!!! Why don't we expand the playoffs to 32 teams or better yet ANYONE who ends up with a 6-5 record GETS IN...much like the FBS where you are "bowl eligible" would that be great! Then the only people that would be complaining would be teams with losing records and we all could just say "No you suck, you have a losing record you can't hang out with all of us winners". Wouldn't that be great? Awsomeness...........xbabycryx:pumpuke:

UNI Pike
November 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry but B-CU was two quarters away from an undefeated season, before their 1st and 2nd string QB's were injured. That's part of the game, but a first-round bye and a home game was not a favor. Not buying that at all. I just hope that Matt Johnson's (QB) injury was not as severe as we think.

People get injured in FB? Suck it up. UNI crapped away the last week of the season - and the coach then stated he thought they deserved a bye week because they were the AQ. BS.

UNI lost to one playoff teams by 2 points. End result of that game is equal to their loss to Iowa State by 27 (it wasn't even that close) where our starting QB was injured. A loss is a loss. You are what your record says you are.

Humble Steward
November 23rd, 2010, 03:00 PM
People get injured in FB? Suck it up. UNI crapped away the last week of the season - and the coach then stated he thought they deserved a bye week because they were the AQ. BS.

UNI lost to one playoff teams by 2 points. End result of that game is equal to their loss to Iowa State by 27 (it wasn't even that close) where our starting QB was injured. A loss is a loss. You are what your record says you are.

You didn't read my post, where I said that's part of the game. I wasn't complaining about the loss, I just stated that a 10-1 record is what got us a bye in the playoffs. That's it.

henfan
November 23rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
I still say the only way to please everyone is to cancel the regular season and have a complete round robin tournament that would include every FCS team who wants in. Losers get juiceboxes and trophies.

UNI Pike
November 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxyPeME9TbI

GSU Eagle
November 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
It is just a matter of time before we go to 22 or 24 teams.

TTUEagles
November 23rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
I still say the only way to please everyone is to cancel the regular season and have a complete round robin tournament that would include every FCS team who wants in. Losers get juiceboxes and trophies.

What flavor of juicebox?

Pantherpower
November 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
UNI has nothing to complain about, IMO. Take care of your business in the regular season and the byes and seeds take care of themselves.

A team from the Valley hasn't made it to the national championship since '05 (UNI). If the Valley wants respect, they need to go out and earn it this week, the week after that, the week after that, the week after that and the final week in Frisco.

When one of the Valley schools can once again hoist the national championship trophy, then they can tell the committee "See? We were good enough. Maybe you'll remember that come selection time next year."

Like any good American would do, go out and earn it! Don't wait for the government (NCAA selection committee) to give you a hand out b/c you think you deserve it.

WileECoyote06
November 23rd, 2010, 04:11 PM

Regardless, the results of that game influenced how BCU was seeded. I stated that before the announcement Sunday. It was 27 -14 at the half and BCU had scored 21 straight points. BCU would have simply outscored FAMU if Johnson had stayed in the game.

WileECoyote06
November 23rd, 2010, 04:15 PM

The process by which the NCAA chooses their matchups indicated that if Ga. Southern made it; and if SCSU made it they would be matched up. If anyone got a favor from that decision it was Coastal Carolina; who got a home game.

As stated in the other thread BCU's first-round bye was gained already; just like Delaware's #3 seed. The committee was pretty consistent.

TypicalTribe
November 23rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
It is just a matter of time before we go to 22 or 24 teams.

I think it will settle at 24 eventually, which seems about right given the eventual PFL auto-bidas well as the cadre of teams starting new programs.

As it is now, I don't think anyone is getting left out that's a legitimate championship contender anyway.

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
My thoughts:

Yep.....

MacThor
November 23rd, 2010, 06:32 PM

Richmond was one play away from a 9-2 season, before Corp was hurt! Then they finished 6-5.

heath
November 23rd, 2010, 08:14 PM
You think Villanova or New Hampshire would be underdogs to any of the current first-round teams? The bracket seems pretty merit-based to me.

Why not just have a CAA tourney,and an at large tourney,with CAA winner vs at large winner?

Gil Dobie
November 23rd, 2010, 08:47 PM
Why not just have a CAA tourney,and an at large tourney,with CAA winner vs at large winner?

Could have a play-in round, winners get the opportunity to play a CAA team that had a bye week. ;)

blukeys
November 23rd, 2010, 09:48 PM

No need to cancel the regular season. We can have every FCS team in the playoffs just by extending the playoffs an additional 2 weeks. All teams will have a 9 game regular season and every PFL team will make the playoffs!!!!

Of course we will have arguments over seeding, who has to travel, which team has the best route to Frisco, Chatty wherever. The usual whiners will do most of the whining.

In addition to juice boxes I suggest we give out sippy cups as well.

SalukiJim
November 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM
No need to cancel the regular season. We can have every FCS team in the playoffs just by extending the playoffs an additional 2 weeks. All teams will have a 9 game regular season and every PFL team will make the playoffs!!!!

Of course we will have arguments over seeding, who has to travel, which team has the best route to Frisco, Chatty wherever. The usual whiners will do most of the whining.

In addition to juice boxes I suggest we give out sippy cups as well.

Which would you pay more for, tickets to those first pre-pre-pre-round games, or the whine-fest? xarguex

blukeys
November 24th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Which would you pay more for, tickets to those first pre-pre-pre-round games, or the whine-fest? xarguex

As you know the whine fest is free entertainment, It is guaranteed to always be there. Some team could go 0-9 get seeded second and their fans would complain. Fact is you have to beat some good teams to get to the NC. The Whiners never get that.