PDA

View Full Version : Rhody joins NEC

Brad82
November 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
http://www.gorhody.com/

Here it is.
Who's next to leave -my top four Nova,Mass,Maine,UNH ?

Tim James
November 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM
URI waves the white flag and UNH has 7 straight playoff appearances with a budget and facilites similar to URI's. Hmmmm.

soccerguy315
November 22nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
I thought this year URI proved they can compete fine in the CAA, some big wins.

Tim James
November 22nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
Thank god I am not an alum and I just happen to live in this miserable state. If I were an alum I would be upset.

henfan
November 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
UMaine will be the next to go either to the NEC or the Yankee Club Football League.

UMass & UNH aren't likely to give up on full scholarship FB, especially as long as they keep drawing as well as they do.

UNH 1999
November 22nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
I am disappointed but not surprised by the news. I really hope Maine and UNH do not follow suit. Regardless if the NEC has an automatic bid it is a conference of smaller schools who UNH/Maine do not line up well with as land grand flag ship universities.

Looking ahead, UNH, Maine and UMass are kind of on a island up there in New England and it is sad for football in the region.

DFW HOYA
November 22nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
NEC now has 10 teams, leaves room for probably two more. Depending on the PL scholarship vote, that could throw a couple of names into the mix.

Looking ahead, UNH, Maine and UMass are kind of on a island up there in New England and it is sad for football in the region.

They need to be on the phone with Albany and Stony Brook and find a sixth team for a new Yankee Conference.

aceinthehole
November 22nd, 2010, 03:16 PM
Welcome URI, but I'm not sure how this helps our current membership.

Will URI reduce scholarships in their final 2 years in the CAA, so they arrive in the NEC in 2013 with the 38-40 scholarships max?
Will the NEC keep an 8-game schedule, skipping one opponent every year?
Will NEC teams get home games (2 for 1s) with URI hoops?

Now that the NEC earned the AQ, I don't see the need for this expansion - other than saving a program from possible folding.

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2010, 03:20 PM
More bad news for the other Northern schools..

I agree with those saying that UNH, Maine and UMass need to band with Albany, SBU and a few others and form a conference of their own. They cannot compete with fewer and fewer bus trips each year..

Wildcat80
November 22nd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Sorry to see them go.....but $$ are tough in RI. Not alot of details in presser on schollies etc. Please post info esp. on how many they grant this year. Recruits need to know asap.

danefan
November 22nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
Welcome URI, but I'm not sure how this helps our current membership.

Will URI reduce scholarships in their final 2 years in the CAA, so they arrive in the NEC in 2013 with the 38-40 scholarships max?
Will the NEC keep an 8-game schedule, skipping one opponent every year?
Will NEC teams get home games (2 for 1s) with URI hoops?

Now that the NEC earned the AQ, I don't see the need for this expansion - other than saving a program from possible folding.

It creates a great rivalry for Bryant.

downbythebeach
November 22nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
In a couple years the CAA is going to be all teams that started football in the 00's

aceinthehole
November 22nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
More bad news for the other Northern schools..

I agree with those saying that UNH, Maine and UMass need to band with Albany, SBU and a few others and form a conference of their own. They cannot compete with fewer and fewer bus trips each year..

URI to the NEC happened BECAUSE UMass, UNH, Maine did NOT want to band up with UA, SBU and CCSU and split off from the CAA.

URI didn't do this without talking extensively with their New England peers. URI had been pushing the others to split off from the CAA and got no support for it.

I can PROMISE you that UA, SBU and CCSU would have jumped at the chance to join up with the CAA-4. IMO, the fact the "New England Four" didn't seek such an arraingment speaks volumes.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
URI to the NEC happened BECAUSE the UMass, UNH, Maine did NOT want to band up with UA, SBU and CCSU and split off from the CAA.

URI didn't do this without talking extensively with their New England peers. URI had been pushing the others to split off from the CAA and got no support for it.

I can PROMISE you that UA, SBU and CCSU would have jumped at the chance to join up with the CAA-4. IMO, the fact the "New England Four" didn't seek such an arraingment speaks volumes.

This seems consistent, too, with Northeastern and Hofstra remaining in the CAA in basketball but dropping their football programs rather than considering, for example, Patriot League membership. The Northeast schools like their non-football arrangement exactly the way it is, and while they all *like* football, they don't *love* it enough to either keep it (Northeastern, Hofstra) or keep it in an elite league (URI, perhaps UNH, Maine) and do anything else to try to preserve it.

UAalum72
November 22nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
If URI is reducing scholarships from 60 to 40 over two years, that will basically wipe out two years' recruiting classes. By 2013 their team will be upper-class heavy, but the years after that could be a dark period until things balance out again.

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
I'd much rather see the remaining CAA North teams try to convince some northern teams like Albany and Stony Brook to join the CAA instead of starting a new league. If the CAA can pick up some northern teams and teams like GSU, ODU and JMU bolt for FBS in a couple of years like they are expected to, the CAA will have restored a decent geographic balance.

danefan
November 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
If URI is reducing scholarships from 60 to 40 over two years, that will basically wipe out two years' recruiting classes. By 2013 their team will be upper-class heavy, but the years after that could be a dark period until things balance out again.

They other thing they'll probably do to counteract that is not replace scholarship kids currently in the system that are lost due injury and/or other reasons, such as transferring as I'd expect them to lose a few kids to other CAA schools after this decision. But yes, its definitely a weird transition in terms of recruiting.

danefan
November 22nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
I'd much rather see the remaining CAA North teams try to convince some northern teams like Albany and Stony Brook to join the CAA instead of starting a new league. If the CAA can pick up some northern teams and teams like GSU, ODU and JMU bolt for FBS in a couple of years like they are expected to, the CAA will have restored a decent geographic balance.

I don't think it would take much convincing. I think all it would take is a phone call and an offer to Albany, SBU and/or Fordham (even with the PL potentially going scholly, Fordham would still rather be with its A10 bretheren I'd imagine)

blukeys
November 22nd, 2010, 04:13 PM

Albany and Stony Brook make sense as football affiliates although it was my undertanding that the CAA was looking for all sports members.

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
I don't think it would take much convincing. I think all it would take is a phone call and an offer to Albany, SBU and/or Fordham (even with the PL potentially going scholly, Fordham would still rather be with its A10 bretheren I'd imagine)

So is there any realistic possibility of this happening? Albany, SB and Fordham would give the CAA a great presence in the NY metro area. I know college FB isn't popular there, but it's a huge market.

danefan
November 22nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
Albany and Stony Brook make sense as football affiliates although it was my undertanding that the CAA was looking for all sports members.

Both would be perfect fits IMO for all-sports membership.

danefan
November 22nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
So is there any realistic possibility of this happening? Albany, SB and Fordham would give the CAA a great presence in the NY metro area. I know college FB isn't popular there, but it's a huge market.

If the CAA wants it to happen I think its a very real possibility. I don't think the CAA really wants it to happen though. What is the incentive for the CAA members outside of UNH, Maine and UMass to add anyone? Especially considering the very distinct possiblity of Mason and VCU being able to add football by 2017. I don't think UNH, Maine or Umass have enough pull in the CAA anymore to get any northern teams added.

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2010, 04:46 PM
If the CAA wants it to happen I think its a very real possibility. I don't think the CAA really wants it to happen though. What is the incentive for the CAA members outside of UNH, Maine and UMass to add anyone? Especially considering the very distinct possiblity of Mason and VCU being able to add football by 2017. I don't think UNH, Maine or Umass have enough pull in the CAA anymore to get any northern teams added.

It would give the football conference a little stability. The northern teams might seem expendable now, but what is the conference left with if (1) Nova leaves for the Big East, (2) the northern teams defect to a new yankee conference, and (3) JMU, GaSt. and ODU leave for FBS?

danefan
November 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
It would give the football conference a little stability. The northern teams might seem expendable now, but what is the conference left with if (1) Nova leaves for the Big East, (2) the northern teams defect to a new yankee conference, and (3) JMU, GaSt. and ODU leave for FBS?

I agree, if all that were to happen. But 2nd and 3rd scenarios are very distant possibilities IMO.

wmmii
November 22nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Sorry to see RI leave, they played WM tough this year and are an improving program.
I hope Nova does not leave for the Big East as they are a great rival and a better fit for CAA

wmmii
November 22nd, 2010, 05:00 PM

Do not think that JMU would try the jump and neither GaST or ODU have really faced reality yet by playing a full CAA schedule so hold your guns!

UAalum72
November 22nd, 2010, 05:54 PM
If (2), Albany, SBU anf FU would be going with them.

R3TRO
November 22nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
If transfers start happening, what are the rules about eligibility? Would they need to sit out a year?

DFW HOYA
November 22nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
If transfers start happening, what are the rules about eligibility? Would they need to sit out a year?

Same eligibility rules as before--they're not dropping the sport, only moving to another conference.

I don't think URI is at 60 anyway, but it can certainly leverage its redshirts and offer partial packages where necessary to move to 40 by 2013.

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Is the NEC stuck on 40 or would they come up a bit?

UAalum72
November 22nd, 2010, 06:38 PM
I don't think URI is at 60 anyway, but it can certainly leverage its redshirts and offer partial packages where necessary to move to 40 by 2013.
Since they played Buffalo this year, they must be at least at 57

danefan
November 22nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Is the NEC stuck on 40 or would they come up a bit?

That's the big question, IMO right now. Albany just finished up the last year of our contract in the NEC. I fully expect they'll re-up on a year-by-year basis at least but I wouldn't be surprised if that question is a negotating point. Right now though, the NEC doesn't need Albany, especially considering the additiona of URI, so I'm not sure how much leverage an associate football member is going to have against the small private anti-full scholarship schools.

DFW HOYA
November 22nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
Since they played Buffalo this year, they must be at least at 57

57 equivalencies, not necessarily scholarships. (Remember, Colgate played Syracuse, too.)

BlueHenSinfonian
November 22nd, 2010, 08:13 PM
That's the big question, IMO right now. Albany just finished up the last year of our contract in the NEC. I fully expect they'll re-up on a year-by-year basis at least but I wouldn't be surprised if that question is a negotating point. Right now though, the NEC doesn't need Albany, especially considering the additiona of URI, so I'm not sure how much leverage an associate football member is going to have against the small private anti-full scholarship schools.

The CAA doesn't want to lose UMass, and likely not UNH either, so I wouldn't be surprised to have offers floated to certain other Northeast schools. Albany and Stony Brook both make a lot of sense. If Nova goes Big East there will be room for a new FCS school in the SE PA region, maybe Westchester will think about moving up (a long shot, but it would be cool).

maristdb89
November 22nd, 2010, 08:28 PM
Sorry to see RI leave, they played WM tough this year and are an improving program.
I hope Nova does not leave for the Big East as they are a great rival and a better fit for CAA

I think Nova's gone, decision is forthcoming.

Tribe07
November 22nd, 2010, 08:29 PM

I agree.

Seawolf97
November 22nd, 2010, 08:38 PM
I think Nova's gone, decision is forthcoming.

If that is the case and I believe it is that means the CAA lost 4 programs in the space of a year. So maybe there is opportunity for SBU, Albany and Fordham. Villanova will enter at least for the moment a weak Big East which should help in their adjustment.
With SBU, Albany and Fordham the CAA North would have six teams and I could see both SBU and Albany willing to make the quantum leap as all sports members to escape the AE. So we will see what transpires for the future.

maristdb89
November 22nd, 2010, 08:53 PM
With SBU, Albany and Fordham the CAA North would have six teams and I could see both SBU and Albany willing to make the quantum leap as all sports members to escape the AE.

Makes sense to me, but like you said we'll have to see . . . It should be a very interesting off season.

BigApp
November 22nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
CAA gets one step closer to a round-robin format, no more paper champs....

Gordon Shumway
November 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
They say change is a good thing. When I was in college the Yankee Conference consisted of the 6 New England flagships. Over the years that conference grew to 12 teams before morphing into the A10, and now the CAA. In addition to the 10 teams currently in the conference:

Vermont
Holy Cross
Boston University
UConn
Northeastern
Hofstra

Have all come and gone. Now Rhody is leaving, ODU & GSU are coming, and to top it off we are now talking about SBU, Albany, and Fordham.xlolx

Saint3333
November 22nd, 2010, 09:26 PM
CAA begins to move south, will it continue? Could be interesting.

Wildcat80
November 22nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
Stony Brook IMO makes the most sense to join CAA North. Easy swap for URI.

Franks Tanks
November 22nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
I used to like the old Yankee Conference

Boston University
University of Connecticut
University of Delaware
James Madison University
University of Maine
University of Massachusetts
University of New Hampshire
Northeastern University
University of Rhode Island
University of Richmond
Villanova University
The College of William & Mary

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 22nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
The CAA has always been a mid-atlantic conference. Once it took over operating as a football conference, these sort of changes seem obvious. I suspect the CAA will eventually loose all of the football-only members and, if Mason and VCU add football, all of its non-football members as well.

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
Makes sense to me, but like you said we'll have to see . . . It should be a very interesting off season.

You never know - Marist may very well be in play too. LFN has strenuously argued that at the end of the day, you guys may end up in the Patriot League for all sports.

maristdb89
November 23rd, 2010, 06:33 AM
You never know - Marist may very well be in play too. LFN has strenuously argued that at the end of the day, you guys may end up in the Patriot League for all sports.

It is a possibly. I know of the recent talks, but much depends on the scholly decision. How it all shakes out. We fit well in all sports, but would need a much bigger commitment to FB program. We know if we are offered and commit that we need to triple the resources to the FB program. That said, the PFL has been an excellent place for us. It should be a very interesting off season!!!

aceinthehole
November 23rd, 2010, 06:56 AM
I know the SUNY guys aren't satisfied in the NEC/Big South/AE, but I don't see either moving to the CAA. Yes, the CAA is a stronger league across the board, but how can they make it work when others from the North couldn't?

UNH was previously offered all-sports membership in the CAA and they turned it down. Why would they do that if it was such a great idea? Northeastern was the last to make the move from the AE to the CAA and their football program lasted what 4 seasons? Hofstra built a successfull football program from Indy to the CAA and still folded its program.

Why does anyone think UA, SBU, or Fordham can make it work in the CAA when NU, Hofstra and URI couldn't? There is no reason to think the replacements would fair any better.

As I said before, URI is the one school that reportedly wanted the New England-4 to split off from the CAA and add UA, SBU, CCSU, and Fordham to form a new league. If UMass and UNH said "no thanks" and let URI leave on their own, why is it a good league for the SUNYs or Fordham.

- Albany has to ramp up schollys and has one of the worse facilities in FCS. I know my friends there say the stadium is on the way and funding for schollys is in the bank, but there is nothing really to guarntee it happens. The State of NY and UA funding is in a fragil position and I'm not sure how they get the funding needed to upgrade (for all sports) or the political will to make it happen.

- Stony Brook has a bigger budget than ALbany and a great stadium. Financially, I think they might be able to do it. But would they leave the Big South and pay the exit fee again (they paid the NEC before) just to play football in the CAA? Would they leave their other 2 SUNY schools in the AE (Bing won't get invited and Albany's resources/commitment is unknown) for all sports membership in the CAA?

- Fordham likely needs a new home for football if schollys in the PL don't go as they want to. But would the CAA want them as a FB-only member? AS bad as the Rams are in hoops, I don't see them giving up the A-10 for the CAA in all sports. I guess this is the most likely to happen, but only if the CAA wants it to for FB-only.

The Gadfly
November 23rd, 2010, 07:30 AM
In the "big" South I know that Liberty, Coastal, and Stoney Brook would like to find another home. I don't know about Liberty, but I could see Stoney Brook and Coastal bidding for a spot in the CAA. I would say that 80% of students at Coastal are from the Northeast and many move back after they graduate. Plus, Coastal is drooling for a conference that won't hold down it's baseball, basketball, soccer, and football programs. The wine and cheeses in the SoCon snobbed their noses at us a few years back when they decided on another private school. I hope our new AD is seeking a possible spot in the CAA.

aceinthehole
November 23rd, 2010, 07:31 AM
Very interesting. Here is Tony Grahm's (MU beat writer) take on URI's move to the NEC:

Potential clash of philosophies on expanding scholarships may loom among NEC football coaches and or schools ...

Perhaps the real story behind the story is this: URI is coming into the NEC for
financial reasons..so it will be able to cut its football scholarships from the 63
allowed FCS schools, to the no more than 40 permitted by the NEC by 2013…

At the same time there are NEC football coaches … KC among them – who I believe would prefer the NEC boost its football scholarships, with an eye on 63, after the 2013 season..

So basically you have, within one league, a possible clash of philosophies. Schools or at least football coaches in the NEC that want to continue to increase scholarhips (I believe they are at least MU, Albany, and RMU). Then you have those schools, URI among them, that want to cap them at 40…

I assume CCSU also wants to move to 63 schollys, but it is no suprise that a few NEC schools are happy with the 40 max.

Also, it sounds like the new lineup will play a 9-game NEC schedule (ugh!, I hate an odd number of league games), but since 2013 and 2014 are 12-game seasons, we would still have 3 non-conf games.

BUT it also means that the 10-member NEC (including URI beginning in 2013 ) may in some years drop from three to two non-conference games. FCS schools are permitted a max of 11 regular season games.

From Ron Ratner of he NEC: “With the way the calendar works, teams can play 12 games in 2013, 2014 and 2019, which would mean three non-league games. In 2015-18, just two non-league games.”

http://blogs.app.com/hawks/2010/11/22/mu-football-my-view-on-uri-joining-nec-for-football/

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2010, 08:48 AM
Why does anyone think UA, SBU, or Fordham can make it work in the CAA when NU, Hofstra and URI couldn't? There is no reason to think the replacements would fair any better.

This one's easy. While Albany and Stony Brook are not flush with cash, they are at least decently supported by the state. Northeastern (private) and Hofstra (private) didn't have that support, and URI is so tiny and in such a financial crisis that supporting football isn't an option. Besides, URI students are more strongly affiliated with their A-10 basketball team, which really runs the show.

Fordham is private, too, but have an apparently bottomless pit of money coming from alumni. They have amply demonstrated that they are willing to spend on their football program.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2010, 08:50 AM
In the "big" South I know that Liberty, Coastal, and Stoney Brook would like to find another home. I don't know about Liberty, but I could see Stoney Brook and Coastal bidding for a spot in the CAA. I would say that 80% of students at Coastal are from the Northeast and many move back after they graduate. Plus, Coastal is drooling for a conference that won't hold down it's baseball, basketball, soccer, and football programs. The wine and cheeses in the SoCon snobbed their noses at us a few years back when they decided on another private school. I hope our new AD is seeking a possible spot in the CAA.

Liberty wants FBS, maybe even as an independent.

Stony Brook wants to be in a 63 scholarship conference - preferably the CAA, but if nothing materializes, the Big South is great.

Coastal I always thought loved being in the Big South - but if a spot opened in the SoCon.... I bet they'd go there.

aceinthehole
November 23rd, 2010, 09:10 AM
This one's easy. While Albany and Stony Brook are not flush with cash, they are at least decently supported by the state. Northeastern (private) and Hofstra (private) didn't have that support, and URI is so tiny and in such a financial crisis that supporting football isn't an option. Besides, URI students are more strongly affiliated with their A-10 basketball team, which really runs the show.

Fordham is private, too, but have an apparently bottomless pit of money coming from alumni. They have amply demonstrated that they are willing to spend on their football program.

Sorry, I don't buy this at all. NY State has a fiscal crisis as well. Fordham needs to invest more in hoops to be competative in the A-10. These schools all have multiple priorities and like most schools in the NE, football is NOT their #1 priority. Basketball or Lax carries much more importance for them.

I'd love to see a comparision of the AD budget numbers (total, FB and MBB) for NU, HU, UA, SBU, FU, and URI.

Nebuta
November 23rd, 2010, 09:13 AM
Thats ashame. URI will be missed. Well one thing is certain URI just drastically improved its chances to win an AQ.

Redwyn
November 23rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
Sorry, I don't buy this at all. NY State has a fiscal crisis as well. Fordham needs to invest more in hoops to be competative in the A-10. These schools all have multiple priorities and like most schools in the NE, football is NOT their #1 priority. Basketball or Lax carries much more importance for them.

I'd love to see a comparision of the AD budget numbers (total, FB and MBB) for NU, HU, UA, SBU, FU, and URI.

If the numbers that were posted on here a few years ago are true, complete, and have holding trends - SBU outspends all of them by a margin. For better or worse we spend more than Buffalo and are about on par with Boise State in total budget. In football, I'd imagine SBU would be close to if not leading the pack as well. No numbers to back this up, but we've really been throwing money at everything. In a budget comparison. We compare more favorably with the CAA and A-10 than the AEC.

As for the CAA all sports. NO questions SBU would move. It would match us with Hofstra, and give us a significantly larger degree of athletic visibility. The AD has gone on record as saying he wants to move up (also noting FBS as an option). I'd imagine we're not done growing yet.

Dane96
November 23rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Albany has to ramp up schollys and has one of the worse facilities in FCS. I know my friends there say the stadium is on the way and funding for schollys is in the bank, but there is nothing really to guarntee it happens. The State of NY and UA funding is in a fragil position and I'm not sure how they get the funding needed to upgrade (for all sports) or the political will to make it happen.

Agree with your whole post...but just wanted to comment on this portion. First, I am not sure the money is in the bank for schollys. I do know there was a campaign for "Forty for Fordie" to endow forty scholarships for Ford's 40th year...but that is likely never going to happen. Sat with Husky Alum at a Celts game the other night and we figured to endow 40 rides at around 16k a year...we would need 14-16 million dollars in the bank. Highly unlikely that happens. I do think we could ramp up to 56.7...though the rumor is the NCAA may bring that number down to 50.

As for the stadium...I can't say much more than this: This shouldnt be an issue for a conference switch. That...I can bank my money on. The current field will not be current in the near future. Whether the dream stadium is built is a whole other story...

Dane96
November 23rd, 2010, 10:19 AM

Against NYS law to use ANY State monies for Athletics. That said, of course monies can be diverted to facility and operating costs. However, the Athletics budget in whole has been slashed a ridiculous amount...and its only getting worse. The State only supports the entire University at less than 23% of total operating expenditures. Might as well be private....and this is the reason the 4 University Centers have been arguing for the ability to charge their own rates...not those set by the state...in addition to more freedom to contract with suppliers/contractors on their own without State interference.

Dane96
November 23rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Thats ashame. URI will be missed. Well one thing is certain URI just drastically improved its chances to win an AQ.

Why do people keep saying this? URI had a good season this year by their standards...and I welcome them to the NEC. But last I looked, URI was a lower tier CAA team the past few seasons.

There is no doubt in my mind the Top 3 teams in the NEC would occupy at least the same level, if not slightly higher, than URI over the past few seasons.

This is no gimme for URI.

danefan
November 23rd, 2010, 10:26 AM
Why do people keep saying this? URI had a good season this year by their standards...and I welcome them to the NEC. But last I looked, URI was a lower tier CAA team the past few seasons.

There is no doubt in my mind the Top 3 teams in the NEC would occupy at least the same level, if not slightly higher, than URI over the past few seasons.

This is no gimme for URI.

Yeah seriously. Pretty sure URI lost to Maine and Fordham this year........and last I checked two mid-level NEC teams with at least 17 less scholarships then URI beat Maine and Fordham.

401ks
November 23rd, 2010, 10:27 AM
Why do people keep saying this?

Ignorance?

tribe_pride
November 23rd, 2010, 10:42 AM
I think what most people mean are that it's easier to win the AQ out of the NEC than out of the CAA. Most people would agree that URI will not step in and win easily every year but they have more of a chance for competing for a title in the NEC than they would in the CAA (now obviously you'll find people that will say that URI will step in and win but I disagree with them)

Nebuta
November 23rd, 2010, 10:45 AM
Ignorance?

Yeah really that is pretty ingnorant. People obviously havent been watching football lately. CAA top teir teams are alot better then NEC top teir teams, URI path to the playoffs have improved as far as getting an AQ.

danefan
November 23rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
I think what most people mean are that it's easier to win the AQ out of the NEC than out of the CAA. Most people would agree that URI will not step in and win easily every year but they have more of a chance for competing for a title in the NEC than they would in the CAA (now obviously you'll find people that will say that URI will step in and win but I disagree with them)

That is very true and no NEC fan will argue with that point - the path to the NEC AQ is easier than the path to the CAA AQ. Query though whether the path to playoffs is actually any easier? To get to the playoffs you need to win 7 games in the CAA. The only way you're getting to the playoffs from the NEC is to win the AQ.

aceinthehole
November 23rd, 2010, 10:58 AM
No doubt it is tougher to win the AQ in the CAA that it is to win the AQ in the NEC. No one has said differently.

But the fact is the NEC will will get, at most, 2 teams in the playoffs; whereas the CAA will get 4 to 5 each year. URI has been unable to make the playoffs out of the CAA when the fact is they are on an even footing with the rest of the league (57+ scholarships).

The NEC has won more than a few games vs CAA teams with being disadvantaged by 30+ scholarships. URI now has to drop scholarships and compete on an even level with ALbany, CCSU, RMU, Monmouth, etc. What make you think the URI with 40 scholarships has any advnatage over NEC teams (with the same schollys) who actually have been winning and recruiting well for years?

To think URI comes into the NEC with any kind of ADVANTAGE is silly. I think they can do well in the league, but there is NOTHING that suggests they have a better chance to make the playoffs from the NEC, compared to their odds in the CAA.

401ks
November 23rd, 2010, 11:05 AM
No doubt it is tougher to win the AQ in the CAA that it is to win the AQ in the NEC. No one has said differently.

But the fact is the NEC will will get, at most, 2 teams in the playoffs; whereas the CAA will get 4 to 5 each year. URI has been unable to make the playoffs out of the CAA when the fact is they are on an even footing with the rest of the league (57+ scholarships).

The NEC has won more than a few games vs CAA teams with being disadvantaged by 30+ scholarships. URI now has to drop scholarships and compete on an even level with ALbany, CCSU, RMU, Monmouth, etc. What make you think the URI with 40 scholarships has any advnatage over NEC teams (with the same schollys) who actually have been winning and recruiting well for years?

To think URI comes into the NEC with any kind of ADVANTAGE is silly. I think they can do well in the league, but there is NOTHING that suggests they have a better chance to make the playoffs from the NEC, compared to their odds in the CAA.

+1

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2010, 11:11 AM
It is a possibly. I know of the recent talks, but much depends on the scholly decision. How it all shakes out. We fit well in all sports, but would need a much bigger commitment to FB program. We know if we are offered and commit that we need to triple the resources to the FB program. That said, the PFL has been an excellent place for us. It should be a very interesting off season!!!

If we keep treating Fordham shabbily (at least IMO) and GU leaves for the PFL (discussed on another thread), we may have to beg you guys to join the Patriot League.

TJT
November 23rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Against NYS law to use ANY State monies for Athletics. That said, of course monies can be diverted to facility and operating costs. However, the Athletics budget in whole has been slashed a ridiculous amount...and its only getting worse. The State only supports the entire University at less than 23% of total operating expenditures. Might as well be private....and this is the reason the 4 University Centers have been arguing for the ability to charge their own rates...not those set by the state...in addition to more freedom to contract with suppliers/contractors on their own without State interference.

URI would be thrilled with 23% of its opertaing budget coming from the state. It is currently only getting about 11% of its operating budget from the state of RI.

Bogus Megapardus
November 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
on our knees.

Careful how you phrase that, 'gate. This is a family board.

401ks
November 23rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah really that is pretty ingnorant. People obviously havent been watching football lately. CAA top teir teams are alot better then NEC top teir teams, URI path to the playoffs have improved as far as getting an AQ.

xrolleyesx

You do realize that Rhode Island will not be playing in the NEC with 63 scholarships, don't you? :p

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Careful how you phrase that, 'gate. This is a family board.

Sorry about that, Bogus. ; )

Bogus Megapardus
November 23rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
Sorry about that, Bogus. ; )

Think of those poor Marist Brothers in their Poughkeepsie monastery covering their ears and shielding their eyes! Why, the very thought! xlolx

JD51
November 23rd, 2010, 11:57 AM
With no more money to spend on football than GU and the prospect of being treated perhaps worse than Fordham, Marist is probably not a good idea for the PL. Other than geography, you'd be hard pressed to find a good arguement for inclusion to appease the PL old boys, but best not to open that can of worms yet again.

Nebuta
November 23rd, 2010, 11:57 AM
xrolleyesx

You do realize that Rhode Island will not be playing in the NEC with 63 scholarships, don't you? :p

Yeah. And you do realize that Rhode Island will not be playing 5 former National Championship programs ever year, don't you? :P

DFW HOYA
November 23rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
If we keep treating Fordham shabbily (at least IMO) and GU leaves for the PFL (discussed on another thread), we may have to beg you guys to join the Patriot League.

Has been discussed already: Georgetown is not interested in the Frequent Flyer League (no Dayton pun intended). NEC or Independent are the only workable alternatives if a 48-60 scholarship threshold shows them the door.

TJT
November 23rd, 2010, 12:18 PM
I would suggest that you all read the article in today's Providence Journal to get a better perspective on URI's decision to move to the NEC:

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_fbc_uri_22_11-23-10_MKL3KDR_v3.37b0d1f.html

Blurbs from the article include:

“It’s really looking at the long-term sustainability of football,” director of athletics Thorr Bjorn said Monday in explaining the decision to drop down a competitive level.

the long-term viability of the football program is in the Northeast, not the Mid-Atlantic and South, which is why URI will leave the CAA after the 2012 season and join the Northeast Conference as an associate member

The quality of URI’s facilities, especially Meade Stadium, do not match those at most CAA schools, and the cost of upgrading is prohibitive. Financial support from the General Assembly is marginal at best. The university receives about 11 percent of its budget from the state.

401ks
November 23rd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah. And you do realize that Rhode Island will not be playing 5 former National Championship programs ever year, don't you? :P

xeyebrowx

Okay, Nebuta...

First of all, what part of URI giving up 20+ scholarships do you not understand?

Secondly, you stated...

CAA top teir (sic) teams are alot (sic) better then (sic) NEC top teir (sic) teams, URI path to the playoffs have (sic) improved as far as getting an AQ.

URI (whose team I support wholeheartedly) will be shedding scholarships and will be on a level playing field with the other members of the NEC after the move happens. URI currently plays on a level scholarship playing field with the other members of the CAA.

No one disputes that the top CAA teams are "better" (read: deeper in talent) than the top NEC teams, but extrapolating URI's current position in the CAA AQ race to the future NEC AQ race is absurd.

The depth of URI's talent in the future will be on par with most other NEC teams under the 40 scholarship limit. Theoretically, URI will be able to compete "better" in the NEC, but that achievement bar is awfully low given the Rams complete lack of success in the CAA.

Equating URI's chances of achieving the NEC AQ in the future to the fact that CAA top tier teams are currently better than NEC top tier teams is utter nonsense.

aceinthehole
November 23rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
Has been discussed already: Georgetown is not interested in the Frequent Flyer League (no Dayton pun intended). NEC or Independent are the only workable alternatives if a 48-60 scholarship threshold shows them the door.

While I have no doubt the NEC would welcome an outstanding institution like Georgetown into the fold for football, how does that help GU?

The ceiling may be lower (40 max) in the NEC, but the floor - a 22 scholarship minimum (unofficial minimum, but widely reported) may still be more than the Hoyas are willing to chew. That's why Marist didn't come along with Duquesn eafter the MAAC folded - they didn't/couldn't even fund 20 scholarships at the NEC level.

Of course, you wouldn’t have to worry about recruiting limitations within the AI, but I’m not sure that GU cares about that.

Nebuta
November 23rd, 2010, 02:13 PM
xeyebrowx

Okay, Nebuta...

First of all, what part of URI giving up 20+ scholarships do you not understand?

Secondly, you stated...

URI (whose team I support wholeheartedly) will be shedding scholarships and will be on a level playing field with the other members of the NEC after the move happens. URI currently plays on a level scholarship playing field with the other members of the CAA.

No one disputes that the top CAA teams are "better" (read: deeper in talent) than the top NEC teams, but extrapolating URI's current position in the CAA AQ race to the future NEC AQ race is absurd.

The depth of URI's talent in the future will be on par with most other NEC teams under the 40 scholarship limit. Theoretically, URI will be able to compete "better" in the NEC, but that achievement bar is awfully low given the Rams complete lack of success in the CAA.

Equating URI's chances of achieving the NEC AQ in the future to the fact that CAA top tier teams are currently better than NEC top tier teams is utter nonsense.

Okay, 401ks...

What part of "yeah" dont you understand??

I pull the definition for you because obviously you are struggling to grasp the concept of the word "Yeah"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adv. 1. yeah - not only so, but; "I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice"

interjection (Informal) yes, sure, okay, aye (Scot. informal), affirmative (formal), uh-huh (slang), ya (S. African), yebo (S. African informal) Yeah, alright, I'll come.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language
__________________________________________________ _______

And yes, URI chances of getting an AQ in the NEC with the lose of 20+ scholarships is still better then the chances of URI getting an AQ against 5 NC programs.

401ks
November 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Okay, 401ks...

What part of "yeah" dont you understand??

I pull the definition for you because obviously you are struggling to grasp the concept of the word "Yeah"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adv. 1. yeah - not only so, but; "I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice"

interjection (Informal) yes, sure, okay, aye (Scot. informal), affirmative (formal), uh-huh (slang), ya (S. African), yebo (S. African informal) Yeah, alright, I'll come.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language
__________________________________________________ _______

And yes, URI chances of getting an AQ in the NEC with the lose of 20+ scholarships is still better then the chances of URI getting an AQ against 5 NC programs.

Yeah.

xlolx

Whatever you say.

Have a great day!

Nebuta
November 23rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah.

xlolx

Whatever you say.

Have a great day!

xlolx

yeah you too.

<Ingorance is bliss>

Enjoy the rest of your joyful day!! xthumbsupx

Brad82
November 23rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
I disagree with those who say URI will not have a advantage when down-shifting into the NEC.
Weren't Nova,Richmond,William and Mary and Temple all participating at a higher level before dropping down a notch? Look at their track record since they changed. I also think Towson and Fordham will/would have difficult time in CAA. I have been a slow-convert to a lot of success depends on support of admin.,legislature,alums,etc. in fielding a top team. Strange to say,but I believe Rhody will be much further along in this regard than current NEC schools.

wr70beh
November 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
The CAA has always been a mid-atlantic conference. Once it took over operating as a football conference, these sort of changes seem obvious. I suspect the CAA will eventually lose all of the football-only members and, if Mason and VCU add football, all of its non-football members as well.

VCU's president is in a bit of turmoil right now, and he's only been on the job for a little over a year. Apparently the old president's followers are trying to drive him out, and put someone in that they approve of. Trani (the old president) was steadfast against adding football. I wonder if that will stay true?

As far as Mason goes...they are more likely, and they at least have land to put up stands for a new stadium. I know they have a club team right now. VCU has no land, and no club team that I'm aware of. They would have to use the 80 year old stadium that UR vacated after last season if they want to think about football.

UR is not going anywhere as far as the CAA football conference is concerned. We're good for the conference, and the conference is good for us. The football operations seem to operate as a separate entity out of the same office. With as many football only members, it has to.

Fordham
November 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM

There's no bottomless pit by any stretch. We didn't spend a dime more by going scholarship. The facility improvements are relatively minor. Wish what you wrote was true, though.

DFW HOYA
November 23rd, 2010, 04:41 PM
As far as Mason goes...they are more likely, and they at least have land to put up stands for a new stadium. I know they have a club team right now. VCU has no land, and no club team that I'm aware of. They would have to use the 80 year old stadium that UR vacated after last season if they want to think about football.

Mason was one (count 'em, one) trustee's vote away from adding scholarship football in 1998 but the movement has largely dissipated in the intervening years, and its club team has not done as well of late. The GMU president's term expires in 2012 and if there is a move, it would not start until then.

VCU has shown interest in City Stadium down the road. For a school of its size (and seeing what ODU has done) it's worth considering.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/151622219

Nebuta
November 23rd, 2010, 04:44 PM
I disagree with those who say URI will not have a advantage when down-shifting into the NEC.
Weren't Nova,Richmond,William and Mary and Temple all participating at a higher level before dropping down a notch? Look at their track record since they changed. I also think Towson and Fordham will/would have difficult time in CAA. I have been a slow-convert to a lot of success depends on support of admin.,legislature,alums,etc. in fielding a top team. Strange to say,but I believe Rhody will be much further along in this regard than current NEC schools.

Agree. +1

Wildcat80
November 23rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
I would suggest that you all read the article in today's Providence Journal to get a better perspective on URI's decision to move to the NEC:

Blurbs from the article include:

“It’s really looking at the long-term sustainability of football,” director of athletics Thorr Bjorn said Monday in explaining the decision to drop down a competitive level.

the long-term viability of the football program is in the Northeast, not the Mid-Atlantic and South, which is why URI will leave the CAA after the 2012 season and join the Northeast Conference as an associate member

The quality of URI’s facilities, especially Meade Stadium, do not match those at most CAA schools, and the cost of upgrading is prohibitive. Financial support from the General Assembly is marginal at best. The university receives about 11 percent of its budget from the state.

Bryant coach Marty Fine welcomes the Rams.

“I always dreamed this would be a great rivalry game in-state, and now it will be a great rivalry game in-state with a league opponent,” he said Monday. “I think it’s great for Rhode Island. I think it’s great for the league. Most of all, I think it’s great for the people of Rhode Island. They’re going to get a meaningful in-state game. Miami and Florida State beware; we’re about to take over.”

NOW THAT'S FUNNY!!!!!!!

Wildcat80
November 23rd, 2010, 05:14 PM
Sooooo...even with admitted substandard facilities the NEC welcomes URI. NEC=hopeless?? I doubt Bryant feels that way. I hope UNH's AD sees that as his challenge to upgrade ours!

Franks Tanks
November 23rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Sooooo...even with admitted substandard facilities the NEC welcomes URI. NEC=hopeless?? I doubt Bryant feels that way. I hope UNH's AD sees that as his challenge to upgrade ours!

URI's facilities are pretty much on par for the NEC.

Jackman
November 23rd, 2010, 06:47 PM
Replace URI with a random New York-based team and they'll never be missed.

URI was playing with 59 football scholarships according to a ProJo article a few months ago, to answer a question asked earlier in this thread.

As for this...

Not a single point raised in that article is relevant except that URI has terrible facilities and no intention of ever improving them. Their facilities are almost as bad as the ones at UNH, which has made the playoffs 7 years in a row.

Wildcat80
November 23rd, 2010, 07:05 PM
Number One thing a program needs is ....THE WILL TO WIN. Leadership starts at the top. Nothing else matters.

danefan
November 23rd, 2010, 08:12 PM

What? Why would the NEC be desparate? The NEC gets an in-state rival for its new member in Bryant and URI joins its A10 all-sports brother in Duquesne. Seems like the only natural fit for URI other than the CAA which is too expensive for URI to remain in.

URI will be able to cut over 25% of its budget and still be at the top of the NEC in spending. Its a win-win, IMO.

Why such hosility by the CAA folks?

Brad82
November 23rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
Number One thing a program needs is ....THE WILL TO WIN. Leadership starts at the top. Nothing else matters

Amen.
It is all coaching and recruiting,with support from admin. (Pres.,AD,legislative bodies).
What league and facilities a team performs in is secondary issue,of concern by only those financially supporting it (boosters,alums,fans,ex-players,students,tax-payers).

BlueHenSinfonian
November 23rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
What? Why would the NEC be desparate? The NEC gets an in-state rival for its new member in Bryant and URI joins its A10 all-sports brother in Duquesne. Seems like the only natural fit for URI other than the CAA which is too expensive for URI to remain in.

URI will be able to cut over 25% of its budget and still be at the top of the NEC in spending. Its a win-win, IMO.

Why such hosility by the CAA folks?

I don't think anyone in the CAA bears actual ill-will towards URI, but this coming on top of the recent losses of Hofstra and Northeastern is a little bit frustrating. There are two things going on here. On one level, URI making a downward conference move can be seen as another northeast school deemphasizing a storied football program. That's a loss for the entire community, and it understandably makes schools like UNH, Maine, and UMass nervous.

The second issue is that the CAA is building itself up into something very special - a FCS conference than can compete with the major FBS schools. Yes, it takes a lot of resources to play FCS ball in the CAA successfully, but the CAA effectively carrying the torch for showing people that FCS football isn't small-time (and yes, the SoCon, MVC, and Big Sky are doing their part as well, as are assorted teams from other conferences). Seeing a team effectively abandon the cause to join a limited scholarship conference can feel like a bit of a betrayal.

DFW HOYA
November 23rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Number One thing a program needs is ....THE WILL TO WIN. Leadership starts at the top. Nothing else matters.

The will to win is great but it's not the only thing. Ask the service academies.

A strong program needs these five attributes, usually in this order.

1. Institutional leadership.
2. Coaching.
3. The ability to effectively recruit and sign talent.
4. Modern facilities.
5. Ability to grow its revenues and manage its expenses.

Seawolf97
November 23rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
xrolleyesx

I was waiting for someone to chime in. UMass with 40 or less scholies would just be UMass, same with a UNH etc. Its whole new playing field barring the name of the school.

Bogus Megapardus
November 23rd, 2010, 08:53 PM
The will to win is great but it's not the only thing. Ask the service academies.

2. Coaching.
4. Modern facilities.

By comparison. the Patriot League's conservatism over the years appears increasingly prescient.

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2010, 09:13 PM
By comparison. the Patriot League's conservatism over the years appears increasingly prescient.

I think there were/are those in the PL that thought that the landscape would never change from 1984.

blukeys
November 23rd, 2010, 09:53 PM
I think there were/are those in the PL that thought that the landscape would never change from 1984.

You are probably right but this is obviously short sighted. Nothing stays the same in College Football. I have been following it since the 60's and the only constant is change. The PL is in the middle of the most changing landscape in FCS football. For their sake I have they notice this.

DFW HOYA
November 23rd, 2010, 10:02 PM

As Rev. John Brooks, S.J. famously told John Feinstein, "When we first started the league and the presidents would meet, we would tell one another 'We're building a model that others will follow.' So far, no one has followed."

Come December 13, that model might go the way of 1984.

Jackman
November 23rd, 2010, 10:23 PM

Where will URI be able to cut over 25% of its budget, especially in a meaningful way that won't be offset by lost revenue?

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Where will URI be able to cut over 25% of its budget, especially in a meaningful way that won't be offset by lost revenue?

Absolutely right. This is a political home run for the University.

Wildcat80
November 24th, 2010, 08:21 AM

2. Coaching.
4. Modern facilities.

uhh...I do NOT stand corrected....they ALL start with LEADERSHIP that WANTS TO WIN.

danefan
November 24th, 2010, 08:35 AM

Easy - recruiting expenses, travel expenses, scholarships, coaching salaries (you better believe Trainer knows he's going to lose some full-time staff) and the big one - Title IX cover. All of that will easily equal $1.5 million a year.

JMUNJ08
November 24th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Sad to see URI go. The CAA is getting tougher by the day and the teams who could compete every few years and not on a yearly basis are hitching rides out of Dodge.

The only other one of the 2 so called bottom feeders (Maine & Towson) I could see having second thoughts is Maine. If UNH and UMass are up on an island, Maine is on another continent in Orono. Towson I think really wants to be competitive and every time we think they are finally going to stand up they falter back into oblivion for a few more years.

The CAA I believe will be the front runner in the near future for further conference membership changes as we are struggling to keep our identity...besides winning National Championships!xsmileyclapx

Bogus Megapardus
November 24th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Sad to see URI go. The CAA is getting tougher by the day and the teams who could compete every few years and not on a yearly basis are hitching rides out of Dodge.

The only other one of the 2 so called bottom feeders (Maine & Towson) I could see having second thoughts is Maine. If UNH and UMass are up on an island, Maine is on another continent in Orono. Towson I think really wants to be competitive and every time we think they are finally going to stand up they falter back into oblivion for a few more years.

The CAA I believe will be the front runner in the near future for further conference membership changes as we are struggling to keep our identity...besides winning National Championships!xsmileyclapx

It's just football. The CAA is pretty stable otherwise. Remember that CAA football hasn't been around all that long at all and the northeastern State flagships are football-only members.

henfan
November 24th, 2010, 01:14 PM
If UNH and UMass are up on an island, Maine is on another continent in Orono.

Exactly. For Maine in the CAA, everything except Durham is a flight. Amherst is closer to Newark, DE than it is to Orono, ME.

superman7515
November 24th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I have the perfect travel member for Maine to remain in the CAA and they already play at Raymond Field... Acadia University Axemen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadia_Axemen)

tribe_pride
November 24th, 2010, 01:54 PM
It's just football. The CAA is pretty stable otherwise. Remember that CAA football hasn't been around all that long at all and the northeastern State flagships are football-only members.

In this context, I think JMU was talking about the football conference as opposed to the whole conference though. While the football conference has only been around for a few years, the teams have been together just under different names (Yankee, A-10, CAA) for years.

henfan
November 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I have the perfect travel member for Maine to remain in the CAA and they already play at Raymond Field... Acadia University Axemen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadia_Axemen)

The future of FB at UMaine:

http://yankeecollegiatefootballconference.webs.com/Yankee%20Banner.JPG

http://yankeecollegiatefootballconference.webs.com/

Gordon Shumway
November 24th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Just think how UNH UMASS, and Maine feel about that identity thing. The only three charter members of this evolved conference are now the only three left on that shrinking deserted island.xlolx

How UNH continues to compete is mind-boggling to me. I pray that Marty Scarano & Sean McDonnel don't ever decide to packup and leave. What they they squeeze out of the resources and available talent leaves me scratching my head. I wish McDonnel could coach hockey, and we'd probably have several national championships by now.

superman7515
November 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Gordy, it's all that money coming in from Sandler under the table.

Gordon Shumway
November 24th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Gordy, it's all that money coming in from Sandler under the table.

I knew there had to be an explanation. xlolx

ccd494
November 24th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Exactly. For Maine in the CAA, everything except Durham is a flight. Amherst is closer to Newark, DE than it is to Orono, ME.

Maine busses to UMass. Just like Maine bussed to URI, Northeastern and Hofstra. Just like Maine hockey busses to every school in Hockey East (inc. Providence, UMass, Vermont).

Sidebar, how is Maine getting compared to Towson as the dregs of the CAA? Towson football is an absolute joke. Maine may not be CAA-elite, but this is a program that has playoff wins this decade and no one enjoys playing. Towson is a glorified bye.

Anyways, this is frankly not good. Maine has been adamant in the past about wanting to stay in the CAA and playing at the highest level, but this is getting ridiculous. In retrospect, the Yankee Conference teams' moves to get bigger and better and adding the southern schools really bit them in the ***. Something to keep in mind as every conference keeps expanding for expansion's sake: eventually, all the added travel costs and costs of staying competitive will arrive.

JMUNJ08
November 24th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Sidebar, how is Maine getting compared to Towson as the dregs of the CAA? Towson football is an absolute joke. Maine may not be CAA-elite, but this is a program that has playoff wins this decade and no one enjoys playing. Towson is a glorified bye.

I quasi put them together and believe me, JMU HATES to go up there. Its a totally different team. My point was to look at the teams currently at the tail end of the league because the top tier teams are not looking for new homes. While Maine has had success, so did NE this decade (2002?) and Hofstra was always hovering around .500 at worst the last few years. Maine can stay competitive in the league but so could the others just not on a yearly basis, there would be some rebuilding, not reloading.

Towson is at the bottom and BAD but I see a -0% chance they would leave the CAA in football. They want to be competitive they just plain aren't yet. I see them kind of on the line of GaSt when they came in as an all sports member... The CAA is great for them from a location standpoint as well which is a BIG difference from Maine as well.

JMUNJ08
November 24th, 2010, 11:03 PM
In this context, I think JMU was talking about the football conference as opposed to the whole conference though. While the football conference has only been around for a few years, the teams have been together just under different names (Yankee, A-10, CAA) for years.

Correct...the full conference members really seem to be on a similar level of competition in other sports and it has worked out for almost all the schools involved (UNCW is a bridge to GaSt. as well).

For football only, the affiliates and CAA members really are great on a competition level as well but in a current state of flux with all the movement at the upper level and economy. Just like the big guys, football plays the lead role...

downbythebeach
November 25th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I'd love to see Laval University in Quebec play football in the USA

pretty big deal in Canada

henfan
November 26th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Maine busses to UMass. Just like Maine bussed to URI, Northeastern and Hofstra. Just like Maine hockey busses to every school in Hockey East (inc. Providence, UMass, Vermont).

Anyways, this is frankly not good. Maine has been adamant in the past about wanting to stay in the CAA and playing at the highest level, but this is getting ridiculous. In retrospect, the Yankee Conference teams' moves to get bigger and better and adding the southern schools really bit them in the ***. Something to keep in mind as every conference keeps expanding for expansion's sake: eventually, all the added travel costs and costs of staying competitive will arrive.

Didn't realize that UMaine bussed 7 hrs. to Hofstra, 5 hrs. to Kingston or nearly 5 hrs. to Amherst. That's crazy but, I suppose, necessary to a school so isolated as UMaine. All of that rough travel must be tough on the athletes.

Towson is 3-6 lifetime vs. Maine, so the competitive comparisons aren't that far off, really. TU, even in their worst years, is putting more fannies in the stands for FB and have considerably better FB facilities than UM. The Tigers, full CAA members, are also directly in the center of the conference's footprint, not nearly 700 miles from it. Then there's the constant drumbeat of questions about how long UM's going to hang on to full scholarship FB, when they've been such ardent supporters of scholarship reductions in the past.

Some of us know the Yankee Conference's history and the necessity in the early '80's for expansion. The conference likely would have been an afterthought by the late '80's had Delaware, Richmond and VU not joined. The conference expanded because they feared they would have been locked out of scheduling opportunities with the Colonial (a/k/a Patriot) breathing down their necks for expansion partners. It's likely the pressures to reduce schollies, which was always pushed by BU, URI & UMaine, would have come to pass sometime in the '90's. Where would the Yankee had they not expanded and then found themselves without BU and UConn? The remaining four Yankee members would have eventually been absorbed by some other conference anyway.

DFW HOYA
November 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Didn't realize that UMaine bussed 7 hrs. to Hofstra, 5 hrs. to Kingston or nearly 5 hrs. to Amherst. That's crazy but, I suppose, necessary to a school so isolated as UMaine. All of that rough travel must be tough on the athletes.

It's more common than you think. The Hoyas bussed 8 hrs. to Davidson, 6 hrs. to Yale, 7 hrs. to Colgate, 5 hrs. to Fordham, and a mere 4 hrs. to Lehigh. Had they accepted the offer to play at North Dakota State...well, let's not think of that travel possibility...

ccd494
November 27th, 2010, 10:18 AM

People up here drive a lot more. I put in about 16 hours a week crisscrossing the state, and I don't think that is unusual. Personally, I think five hours sitting on a coach bus, taking a nap, watching a movie, is more pleasurable an experience than taking 3-3.5 hours of sitting in an airport and a plane and dealing with security, luggage, etc.

Towson is 3-6 lifetime vs. Maine, so the competitive comparisons aren't that far off, really. TU, even in their worst years, is putting more fannies in the stands for FB and have considerably better FB facilities than UM. The Tigers, full CAA members, are also directly in the center of the conference's footprint, not nearly 700 miles from it. Then there's the constant drumbeat of questions about how long UM's going to hang on to full scholarship FB, when they've been such ardent supporters of scholarship reductions in the past.

That record is pretty disingenuous (it is also 5-3 Maine, not 6-3), and since Towson joined the CAA Maine is 2-0 against them. To that point, Maine had last played Towson in 1991. I didn't say that Maine belonged in the CAA more than Towson or anything like that. I understand TU is in the footprint, and is a full CAA member. I'm just saying that putting them in the same discussion regarding performance on the field is a joke. Maine has been to the playoffs (recently, too), Maine has beaten playoff teams, Maine has beaten Towson every time they have played in the CAA era. Comparing the two teams' on field only resume is silly.

Also, when has Maine EVER advocated for reducing scholarships since the CAA era? It may have been discussed around when BU dropped football, but since then, Maine has been a good A-10/CAA citizen and fully funded its program. When Hofstra and Northeastern dropped football, the ONLY statements Maine ever made were along the lines of "We want to continue to play FCS football at the highest level." The only "rumors" of Maine either dropping the sport or reducing scholarships or changing conferences come from fans of other schools. And just because Delaware or James Madison or whoever resents the fact that they have to fly to Orono every other year doesn't mean that Maine is going anywhere, or should go anywhere.

Ideally, would there be a New England based, full scholarship conference that Maine could bus around? Certainly. But there isn't. Maine has had the opportunity to talk to the NEC, just like Rhody did. And Maine didn't.

Wildcat80
November 27th, 2010, 10:27 AM
It's more common than you think. The Hoyas bussed 8 hrs. to Davidson, 6 hrs. to Yale, 7 hrs. to Colgate, 5 hrs. to Fordham, and a mere 4 hrs. to Lehigh. Had they accepted the offer to play at North Dakota State...well, let's not think of that travel possibility...

Georgetown & Maine are the two worst travel...both at geographic ends of conferences. Yikes! Of course until Ga state....

Wildcat80
November 27th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Maine has verbally supported CAA membership for years!!!! Remember for us to travel by plane to wm or elsewhere from manchester its more than a 6 hour trip too....door to door. bus times can be deceiving.....at least there's no security too.

henfan
November 27th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Also, when has Maine EVER advocated for reducing scholarships since the CAA era? It may have been discussed around when BU dropped football, but since then, Maine has been a good A-10/CAA citizen and fully funded its program.

Sorry. I never meant to imply that UM has publicly discussed reducing schollies in the 'CAA era'. I'm sure they understood that an idea like that would get absolutely zero traction in the current CAA environment anyway.

That said, UM and URI and BU all ardently and regularly lobbied for across-the-board scholarship reductions late in the Yankee's and throughout the A-10's run. We know the result for Rhody & BU. A program like UM continues to struggle with support, finds themselves further away from the conference center and competing with programs who have a lot more resources at their disposal. I doesn't take a lot of imagination to connect the dots.

Unless something dramatically changes, few would be shocked to see UM follow either URI's or BU's path. I'm not suggesting that the conference or many of its fans would like to see that happen, just that it's increasingly looking like a very real possibility.

Personally, I lament the demise of the former Yankee Conference. I also understand that conferences and circumstances change. What might have worked 10, 20 or 30 years ago may not any longer.

Collegefootballfan
November 27th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Where is the NCAA in all of this ,
Where is the emergency meeting to discuss the growing decline of schools
offering formally D1AA football. in the Northeast.
Do they even care.
Having a whole section of the country dropping this level of football has to be of
concern.
Where are the meetings of the AD in the region to discuss future options.
Where is the leadership ?
There is no viable reasons that schools like Northeastern, Hoffstra, Boston U.
Maine, UMASS, UNH, and others cannot compete at this level in a way that
is financially responsible.
Otherwise its time to close up shop and let these schools compete at any level
they choose.
It just does not make sense to let the traditions and history of these programs
to slide away. Without a whimper.
The time to act is know not latter.

ur2k
November 27th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Correct...the full conference members really seem to be on a similar level of competition in other sports and it has worked out for almost all the schools involved (UNCW is a bridge to GaSt. as well).

For football only, the affiliates and CAA members really are great on a competition level as well but in a current state of flux with all the movement at the upper level and economy. Just like the big guys, football plays the lead role...

Not sure this is true at UR - I think ultimately basketball has and will drive our conference decisions.