PDA

View Full Version : Which game(s) should I watch?

Purple7
November 22nd, 2010, 01:02 PM
I have limited time to research this so I am asking for your help. Since they couldn't help fans out by spreading the games out, I have to decide which playoff game(s) to watch in the first round. I wish they would have at least scheduled one of the earlier games at 4 pm.

I am curious to watch Western Illinois because I don't know anything about them. Also wanting to watch Georgia Southern. If you had to convince someone to watch a particular game, what would be the reasons. Help me decide by telling me the key players to watch, etc.

biggie
November 22nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
To me the most interesting (besides the WIU/CC since we get the winner) may be the GSU/SCSU. SCSU has big linemen, should help them on both sides of the ball with the GSU O and D. And SCSU's QB is hard to take down if GSU gets to him. Issue for SCSU D would be how much they've seen the Triple Option and how displined they can be. Issue for SCSU on O may be the missing running game that was there the last few years it seems.

SpeedkingATL
November 22nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
The GaSo vs SCSU game will be a good one. GaSo will pack Paulson even on the holiday weekend and SCSU will travel very well. Will be interesting to see a very good SCSU defense defending the GaSo option. GaSo is surprisingly physical for a relatively small team and are very well coached. GaSo defense is relatively small but really fly to the ball well to negate some of the SCSU size advantage. SCSU has had 2 close games with ASU the last 2 years in the playoffs and have something to prove. GaSo is back running the option and has gained a lot of confidence the last 3 games. It should be a good one, especially if you like physical playoff football.

cderry
November 22nd, 2010, 01:37 PM
To me the most interesting (besides the WIU/CC since we get the winner)

Who would you rather play? :)

cderry
November 22nd, 2010, 01:43 PM

By the way, here's a scouting report on WIU:

Players to watch:
QB Matt Barr: 3079 pass yds, 407 rush yds, 31 total TDs, 5 INTs
RB Coulton Ray: 922 rush yds, 8 TDs
RB Bryce Flowers: 731 rush yds, 293 rec yds, 9 total TDs
WR Lito Senatus: 1067 rec yds, 13 TDs
LB Kyle Glazier: 137 TT, 11.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 1 INT, 2 PBU, 1 QBH, 1 FR, 2 FF

asucrutch23
November 22nd, 2010, 01:45 PM

Would have to say I'd rather face the Chants. The 'Necks are no doubt more battle tested having survived the MVFC. I expect either team to bring their best effort to Boone and it'll be fun to watch you both battle for that right!

GaSouthern
November 22nd, 2010, 01:49 PM
I expect the GSU vs SCSU game to be a slugfest.

appvette
November 22nd, 2010, 01:52 PM

Here's my post on appfan.com from earlier today. One thing I didn't mention is that I would like to see a new team and I've already seen Coastal.

I’m hoping to see Coastal in the second round. WIU is a dangerous team that has nearly identical offensive and defensive scoring averages to App. Oddly, they have lost to 3 non-playoff FCS teams and a bad FBS team but beat both of the playoff teams on their schedule. Their QB is also very good. There are better teams in the playoffs than WIU, but I think we have a much better chance against Coastal.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 22nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
I expect Lehigh/UNI to be the closest game. GSU should take out SC State by at least 21 points.

biggie
November 22nd, 2010, 03:02 PM
I losely dub CC as the worse team, so would rather play them for what I'd hope an easier game. But admitedly know very little about either at this point. Believe WIU should win, but actually picked CC due to the travel and WIU's losing on the road issue this year.

biggie
November 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
GSU should take out SC State by at least 21 points.
We thought that about our games with them the last 2 years in the first round. Not as easy as one would think. Admittedly they are probably down from the last 2 year a little though.

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 22nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
If you choose to watch our game:

Players to watch for GSU:

QB. Jaybo Shaw- Our experienced field general. Transferred from Georgia Tech down w/ Coach Monken. He is the glue that holds our offense together.
RB. Robert Brown- True freshman RB who has been getting better and better as the season has gone on. He can now lay one heck of a block and has good vision running the ball. Medium size and is pretty quick.
WR. JJ Wilcox- Most of his job is to block so you won't really be watching him most of the time. You will almost forget about him and then we will pass it to him and he will take off 30 yards down the field. Either that or he is the WR who just laid our your defensive back on a sick block.

Defense-

The whole d-line. If you are a fan of the other team you shouldn't watch this. If you are neutral then just watch the fireworks. Brent Russell (DT), who will be a first team All-American selection, is always double teamed, a lot of times triple teamed. This leaves crazy lanes and holes open for the other 3 guys. Tinsley (DE) is a beast as well and is FAST.

Safety Derrick Heyden. Likely a first team all-socon pick. Def a second team.

Then there is CB Laron Scott. Gets a pick almost every game. Lock-down corner.

Special teams. We have one of the best special teams units in the land. Blocking kicks, punts, kick-off coverage, kick-offs, field goals, punts. We are amazing here.

wmmii
November 22nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
The GS vs SCST should be a blast but do not over the FargoDome game either between RM and NDS! If they show the band for SCST palying at half it is treat.

da_Bison
November 22nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
I expect Lehigh/UNI to be the closest game. GSU should take out SC State by at least 21 points.

I expect UNI to win by at least 21, is that close enough for you? something like 38-10

BlueHenSinfonian
November 22nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
I expect UNI to win by at least 21, is that close enough for you? something like 38-10

I haven't seen Lehigh play in person in about ten years, but from what I remember, when they were good, they were scary. This year is obviously a different team, but I wouldn't put an Engineering Hawk victory in the category of an upset, I fully expect Lehigh to make it a game to the finish.

Big Dawg
November 22nd, 2010, 11:52 PM
GSU vs. SCSU looks like a very interesting matchup...can a MEAC school win a playoff game for the first time since 1999???

Purple7
November 23rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the info....really appreciated the Western Illinois and Georgia Southern scouting reports. I'm going to have two computers hooked up, so should be able to catch a lot of playoff football.

Poly's Brutality
November 23rd, 2010, 01:41 AM
Didn't mention the TO, but maybe with good talent doesn't matter? Anyway, good rundown - makes me excited to watch this group. What's the secret on special teams? Hard to be that good on every aspect.(?)

QB. Jaybo Shaw- Our experienced field general. Transferred from Georgia Tech down w/ Coach Monken. He is the glue that holds our offense together.
RB. Robert Brown- True freshman RB who has been getting better and better as the season has gone on. He can now lay one heck of a block and has good vision running the ball. Medium size and is pretty quick.
WR. JJ Wilcox- Most of his job is to block so you won't really be watching him most of the time. You will almost forget about him and then we will pass it to him and he will take off 30 yards down the field. Either that or he is the WR who just laid our your defensive back on a sick block.

Defense-

The whole d-line. If you are a fan of the other team you shouldn't watch this. If you are neutral then just watch the fireworks. Brent Russell (DT), who will be a first team All-American selection, is always double teamed, a lot of times triple teamed. This leaves crazy lanes and holes open for the other 3 guys. Tinsley (DE) is a beast as well and is FAST.

Special teams. We have one of the best special teams units in the land. Blocking kicks, punts, kick-off coverage, kick-offs, field goals, punts. We are amazing here.

Eaglesrus
November 23rd, 2010, 05:56 AM

Defense-

Didn't mention the TO, but maybe with good talent doesn't matter? Anyway, good rundown - makes me excited to watch this group. What's the secret on special teams? Hard to be that good on every aspect.(?)

I would have to disagree slightly on special teams, in that I would say kick-offs are a weakness. We rarely get it past the 10 and only getting it to the 20 isn't unusual. On the other hand, I saw a statistic the other day that said our place kicker, Adrian Mora, has kicked for points something like 46 times and made 45 of them. Our punter, Charlie Edwards, has fairly consistently boomed it when we've needed it and shown an uncanny knack for dropping it at the 5 on shorter punts. We've also got a couple of fast, sure-handed and fearless return guys in LaRon Scott and Darrieon Robinson. Finally, don't know that I would say that our coverage units have been great, but certainly have been good enough.

LehighGuy
November 23rd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Did anyone watch any of the games on the "live feeds" of NCAA.com? How reliable are they? What's the video quality like?

Quick Edit: I know it's been said around here that all 4 games will have a feed, but I can't find that anywhere on the NCAA.com schedule.