PDA

View Full Version : Another Honor for App St

TexasTerror
February 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM
This is just a great story. This isn't a football honor, but an honor more prestigious than that. Great job by the AP for covering this and props to whomever it was that pitched this to the AP. Hopefully it gets the run it deserves!

--------

Appalachian State Player Receives Purple Heart

by Aaron Beard (Associated Press)
February 16, 2006

BOONE, N.C. - Brian Stokes just wanted to fit in, even if he couldn’t help but stand out.

He wanted to be known more for serving as the wedge-buster on Appalachian State’s I-AA national championship team than being a veteran of two tours of duty in Iraq. Still, it was hard not to notice that U.S. Marine Corps patch on his Mountaineers’ jersey this season.

Now he stands out in another way: he recently received his Purple Heart for injuries received in a roadside bomb attack in 2004.

Stokes, 27, is proud of his time in the military and talks openly about his war experiences. But he sounds more eager to talk about being a student-athlete in this small college town nestled in the North Carolina mountains.

http://www.goasu.com/?page=202&article=6816&fromPage=8

blackfordpu
February 16th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Glad he is still with us and thankful for his service. :nod:

HiHiYikas
February 16th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I'm glad somebody thought to start this thread (you know, to show it's not a homer thing). Stokes is a hero with or without his affiliation with ASU. I'm pleased that his being a college football player (and champion) has gotten him a little extra attention.
:hurray:

Tod
February 17th, 2006, 12:30 AM
I'm glad somebody thought to start this thread (you know, to show it's not a homer thing). Stokes is a hero with or without his affiliation with ASU. I'm pleased that his being a college football player (and champion) has gotten him a little extra attention.
:hurray:

But it is a "homer" thing. Our home. All of us. It doesn't matter if it's ASU or any other school, it's America.

But still, good pubs to ASU and this fine young man.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

ASU Kep
February 17th, 2006, 01:02 AM
But it is a "homer" thing. Our home. All of us. It doesn't matter if it's ASU or any other school, it's America.

But still, good pubs to ASU and this fine young man.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Great point, great post. I'm sure Stokes isn't nearly the only NCAA athlete that has served our Country, but it's really great to see him get some props for it. I'd be damn proud of him even if he played for Furman. :eek:

JMU2004
February 17th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Semper Fi Sgt.

SoCon48
February 17th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Great thread, great posts. We should all be proud and appreciative of all the men and women who serve both stateside and foreign, no matter what college affiliation or none.

JMU2004
February 17th, 2006, 03:14 AM
about 1/2 of the guys from my OCS platoon are over there now...... incredible marines, and even better men

ASUalumni05
February 17th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I don't know if any of you saw or not, but he was on the late late show the monday night after the championship game. Great interview. It was the show with the english guy, Craig Fergusan maybe? I can't remember the host's name, but it was a great interview.

MYTAPPY
February 17th, 2006, 09:41 AM
I don't know if any of you saw or not, but he was on the late late show the monday night after the championship game. Great interview. It was the show with the english guy, Craig Fergusan maybe? I can't remember the host's name, but it was a great interview.

If you go to goasu.com, you can watch the interview.
Just click under audio and video on the left. It is under, of course, video.

SoCon48
February 17th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Taped it on to the end of the National Championship game video.