PDA

View Full Version : FAMU Rattlers await SWAC opponent in Heritage Bowl

R.A.
November 21st, 2010, 01:01 PM
I bet after the Florida Classic victory, FAMU Rattler fans wish that they had... just one more game.xbangx

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM
I bet after the Florida Classic victory, FAMU Rattler fans wish that they had... just one more game.xbangx

SWAC fans are too stubborn to allow their champion to play a 3rd place MEAC team. Not to mention that the game would be at least three weeks from now if it occurred.

Big Dawg
November 21st, 2010, 04:52 PM
LMAO...DSURocks...we're not the 3rd place team...MEAC CO-CHAMPS BABY!!!

superman7515
November 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM
It's a shame the SWAC won't enter the playoffs. Could have expanded to 24 teams and at least made the brackets look a little more normal giving an AQ to the SWAC and PFL along with the other two new-comers this year while gaining 4 at-large instead of 2.

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2010, 06:34 PM
The SWAC won't enter the playoffs until its moved back...

If the bracket was 24 teams - Jackson State may have gotten in as an at-large.

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2010, 07:20 PM
The SWAC won't enter the playoffs until its moved back...

If the bracket was 24 teams - Jackson State may have gotten in as an at-large.

Which is interesting because with the three week layoff between the semis and the finals that would be an option for the NCAA to consider.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 21st, 2010, 07:32 PM
Which is interesting because with the three week layoff between the semis and the finals that would be an option for the NCAA to consider.

I'm guessing the oddly long delay this year is just because of the way Christmas and New Years fall, no one wants to schedule the championship game on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve. I would expect the schedule to look a little more normal next year.

Plus, the NCAA should absolutely not reschedule to capitulate to the demands of the weakest conference in the FCS. Everyone else manages to play by the scheduling rules, and we aren't missing anything by having the SWAC hold themselves out. I'd be happy to see them in the playoffs with an autobid, but only if they drop the SWAC championship nonsense, or schedule around the playoff schedule that every other FCS conference agrees to.

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2010, 07:48 PM
I'm guessing the oddly long delay this year is just because of the way Christmas and New Years fall, no one wants to schedule the championship game on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve. I would expect the schedule to look a little more normal next year.

Plus, the NCAA should absolutely not reschedule to capitulate to the demands of the weakest conference in the FCS. Everyone else manages to play by the scheduling rules, and we aren't missing anything by having the SWAC hold themselves out. I'd be happy to see them in the playoffs with an autobid, but only if they drop the SWAC championship nonsense, or schedule around the playoff schedule that every other FCS conference agrees to.

It's not really a demand on the SWAC's part tho, they feel that its more profitable for them to have regular season games on Thanksgiving weekend and the Championship game is a result of that fact. There are those in the MEAC that want the same thing, but it isn't as across the board as it is in the SWAC. We want to compete for a national championship. That is why we are here.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 21st, 2010, 08:12 PM
It's not really a demand on the SWAC's part tho, they feel that its more profitable for them to have regular season games on Thanksgiving weekend and the Championship game is a result of that fact. There are those in the MEAC that want the same thing, but it isn't as across the board as it is in the SWAC. We want to compete for a national championship. That is why we are here.

And for that the MEAC gets an autobid, and has managed to work two teams into this year's playoffs, for that they should be congratulated. The SWAC is thinking too short term. Change the schedule to allow participation in the playoffs, increase the level of play to get multiple playoff bids, and eventually they could get multiple home playoff games, leading to more profits than they get from their SWAC championship.

TechRattler
November 23rd, 2010, 04:41 AM
FAMU Rattlers await SWAC opponent in Heritage Bowl

Not...

mikebigg
November 23rd, 2010, 06:11 AM
The SWAC's regular schedule (playing on Thanksgiving weekend) for Gram, SU, and Bama State was in place before 1AA playoffs were formulated. The NCAA said comply or else... we took the "or else". We have not asked the NCAA to change for us... enjoy your playoffs. We have other plans!

TexasTerror
November 23rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
The SWAC's regular schedule (playing on Thanksgiving weekend) for Gram, SU, and Bama State was in place before 1AA playoffs were formulated. The NCAA said comply or else... we took the "or else". We have not asked the NCAA to change for us... enjoy your playoffs. We have other plans!

SWAC needs $$$.

The SWAC is Division I in name only. We get it, we get it...

3rd Coast Tiger
November 23rd, 2010, 03:58 PM
SWAC needs $$$.

The SWAC is Division I in name only. We get it, we get it...

Notre Dame needs $$$.

The Big XII, SEC, Pac-10, ACC, Big 10 and Big East are Division I in name only. I get it, I get it...

mikebigg
November 24th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Notre Dame needs $$$.

The Big XII, SEC, Pac-10, ACC, Big 10 and Big East are Division I in name only. I get it, I get it...

~ snicker ~

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2010, 06:43 AM
All schools need money, but the athletic departments at SWAC schools are at a whole 'nother level when it comes to wanting to make money...

In Division I name is just going with what ESPN said when ranking the basketball conferences...

mikebigg
November 24th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Of course all conferences need money... Glad our Presidents are not willing to have our schools Pay to Play in the playoffs. I like the idea of a playoff, but not the idea of rescheduling our biggest payday game (Bayou Classic) and DEFINITELY NOT paying a bid price to the NCAA and giving up concession sells. I just see that as being pimped by the NCAA... yall can have it how you please, I'm just glad we don't participate, not the way this is set up.