PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Scott Riddle

PhoenixMan
November 21st, 2010, 10:16 AM
A nice way to end a career yesterday for Scott Riddle. 452 yds. passing, 5 TD passes, no picks.
Career: Completions 1,168 of 1,779 (66%)
Touchdown passes 106 (only 41 picks, 28 of which came as a a fr/so)
Passing yds 13,264
Rushing touchdowns 14
All of the passing stats are SoCon records, and completions is an FCS record, which makes him the most prolific passer in conference history. I know other teams and fans hated him (I would too if someone was shredding me like that), but the swagger and cockiness is part of what makes Elon fans love him. He will be missed, at least by the Phoenix fans.xbowx xbowx

Horseshoe App
November 21st, 2010, 10:21 AM
A nice way to end a career yesterday for Scott Riddle. 452 yds. passing, 5 TD passes, no picks.
Passing yds 13,264
Rushing touchdowns 14
All of the passing stats are SoCon records, and completions is an FCS record, which makes him the most prolific passer in conference history. I know other teams and fans hated him (I would too if someone was shredding me like that), but the swagger and cockiness is part of what makes Elon fans love him. He will be missed, at least by the Phoenix fans.xbowx xbowx

He did play very well against ASU this year but I still like our record against him:)

PhoenixMan
November 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM
He did play very well against ASU this year but I still like our record against him:)

No one player can lift his team to a victory over a team that is better in every phase of the game, but he did all he could do in Boone this year to make it happen.

smallcollegefbfan
November 21st, 2010, 10:30 AM
Passing yds 13,264
Rushing touchdowns 14

With what he did you have to wonder what is next for him. Perhaps the AFL or CFL or wonder if he has a coaching job or something lined up already?

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2010, 10:36 AM
How many INTS did he have in his career? Are they records also? I liked the kid, didnt like the cockiness, especially when they were the " 2009 conference champs" SWAG! LOL xlolx

Being from the same area as he is from, I hope he gets picked up by someone. The kids has an arm, but throws 15-20 times more than any other QB, but I guess if ELON was your team you would have no other choice.

PhoenixMan
November 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM
With what he did you have to wonder what is next for him. Perhaps the AFL or CFL or wonder if he has a coaching job or something lined up already?
I haven't spoken to him lately, so not sure. He plays baseball, but there has been some talk that he may not this year. I'm thinking the Carolina Panthers can use a QB.

PhoenixMan
November 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM
How many INTS did he have in his career? Are they records also? I liked the kid, didnt like the cockiness, especially when they were the " 2009 conference champs" SWAG! LOL xlolx

Being from the same area as he is from, I hope he gets picked up by someone. The kids has an arm, but throws 15-20 times more than any other QB, but I guess if ELON was your team you would have no other choice.
See my post. 41 picks to 108 TD's. He also holds the record for most completions without a pick. Sorry, I forgot to list that one. They are too numerous to post them all.

SideLine Shooter
November 21st, 2010, 11:05 AM
See my post. 41 picks to 108 TD's. He also holds the record for most completions without a pick. Sorry, I forgot to list that one. They are too numerous to post them all.

Just curious, what is the record for most consecutive completions?

smallcollegefbfan
November 21st, 2010, 11:10 AM
I haven't spoken to him lately, so not sure. He plays baseball, but there has been some talk that he may not this year. I'm thinking the Carolina Panthers can use a QB.

LOL Carolina needs more than a QB. They need to, and likely will, clean house after the season.

I just don't see Riddle in the NFL. He is only 5'11 1/2 and doesn't have elite accuracy needed to play in the league but with his numbers, if he gets a good agent, could get a tryout. He should get a shot when you see 30 year old QBs who haven't played in a few years getting contracts I would much rather have a D1 record breaking QB over a has been. With that said, I think he would do well in the CFL with that wide field in a spread offense.

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2010, 11:17 AM
"Goodbye is too good a word. So, I'll just say fare thee well."

PhoenixMan
November 21st, 2010, 11:17 AM
LOL Carolina needs more than a QB. They need to, and likely will, clean house after the season.

I just don't see Riddle in the NFL. He is only 5'11 1/2 and doesn't have elite accuracy needed to play in the league but with his numbers, if he gets a good agent, could get a tryout. He should get a shot when you see 30 year old QBs who haven't played in a few years getting contracts I would much rather have a D1 record breaking QB over a has been. With that said, I think he would do well in the CFL with that wide field in a spread offense.
NFL is a very long shot for Riddle, but if he gets a tryout, who knows. There are some crappy QB's starting on Sunday right now...he has to be better than Matt Moore.

GaSouthern
November 21st, 2010, 11:19 AM

Is that not held by richie williams vs furman in 2004?

PhoenixMan
November 21st, 2010, 11:20 AM
Riddle threw 218 completions without an interception, a SoCon, but not FCS, record. I'm not sure of the record for most consecutive completions. Someone mentioned accuracy and the next level...I don't think that's an issue. But, height is always an issue.

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2010, 11:21 AM

41 picks is a lot! Yes Richie holds that record and with 41 picks Accuracy is an issue... He just throws a lot!

PhoenixMan
November 21st, 2010, 11:27 AM
41 picks is a lot! Yes Richie holds that record and with 41 picks Accuracy is an issue... He just throws a lot!

Do some research on stats for elite QB's. 41 picks isn't a lot at all, when you have 1,779 attempts. And, a TD to pick ratio of 108 to 41 is one the best in history. I'll post again...28 of those picks came as a freshman and sophomore. Show me someone with a better ratio than 108 to 41 and I'll agree. Oh, that's right....no one is even close to the 108 TD's, so comparisons will be difficult.

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2010, 11:53 AM
Do some research on stats for elite QB's. 41 picks isn't a lot at all, when you have 1,779 attempts. And, a TD to pick ratio of 108 to 41 is one the best in history. I'll post again...28 of those picks came as a freshman and sophomore. Show me someone with a better ratio than 108 to 41 and I'll agree. Oh, that's right....no one is even close to the 108 TD's, so comparisons will be difficult.

thats great and all but it doesnt matter when he got the picks, the fact is they are stats! Either way he was a pretty good QB on a not soo good team PERIOD Hudgins made him who he was and that showed in the sorry play of the " Phoenix/ fighting Christians" this year... Goodluck to the guy wherever he may land next year. Sorry they dont give out rings for records especially conference records...

PhoenixMan
November 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM
thats great and all but it doesnt matter when he got the picks, the fact is they are stats! Either way he was a pretty good QB on a not soo good team PERIOD Hudgins made him who he was and that showed in the sorry play of the " Phoenix/ fighting Christians" this year... Goodluck to the guy wherever he may land next year. Sorry they dont give out rings for records especially conference records...

You are truly a hater on the guy I see. Yes, they are stats...good ones. If you think that amount of picks is a lot in that amount of attempts, do some research on some of the great ones in college and get back to me. His stats were the best in the conference (and FCS in several categories) THIS season. When I saw Hudgins he wasn't in a uniform. Sorry play...lost in OT to Richmond, 34-31 to App on the road, lost to Wofford on the last play of the game on a fluke pass. That pass isn't caught Elon is 6-2, a head to head winner against Woffy, and in the playoffs for the second year. If you, being a hater, think that stinks so be it...disappointing, but they had a winning record. They have had a winning record every season since Riddle stepped on campus. Hater

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2010, 12:04 PM
You are truly a hater on the guy I see. Yes, they are stats...good ones. If you think that amount of picks is a lot in that amount of attempts, do some research on some of the great ones in college and get back to me. His stats were the best in the conference (and FCS in several categories) THIS season. When I saw Hudgins he wasn't in a uniform. Sorry play...lost in OT to Richmond, 34-31 to App on the road, lost to Wofford on the last play of the game on a fluke pass. That pass isn't caught Elon is 6-2, a head to head winner against Woffy, and in the playoffs for the second year. If you, being a hater, think that stinks so be it...disappointing, but they had a winning record. They have had a winning record every season since Riddle stepped on campus. Hater

NO NEED TO CRY! I just said goodluck to the guy..lol Im not hating on him, but Elon is not a serious contender and will never be.. Yes he turned a them into a winning team that means didly squat if you dont make a run for anything.. Last year was the first and only time they have been to the playoffs... Great QB NO But Def a good QB considering what he had to work with! Atleast most of the teachers here in NC come from there.. Have a good day Mr. Man!

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2010, 12:31 PM
you guys just won't let that one go will you? xlolx

PhoenixMan
November 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM
you guys just won't let that one go will you? xlolx
Man, I was sitting right behind the end zone where it happened. I still wake up at night in a sweat seeing it. But, your guys won the game...best of luck in the playoffs.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM
Man, I was sitting right behind the end zone where it happened. I still wake up at night in a sweat seeing it. But, your guys won the game...best of luck in the playoffs.

best of luck getting back, had y'all beaten one more team (preferably Richmond) I think you would have been in the playoffs

PhoenixMan
November 21st, 2010, 12:58 PM
NO NEED TO CRY! I just said goodluck to the guy..lol Im not hating on him, but Elon is not a serious contender and will never be.. Yes he turned a them into a winning team that means didly squat if you dont make a run for anything.. Last year was the first and only time they have been to the playoffs... Great QB NO But Def a good QB considering what he had to work with! Atleast most of the teachers here in NC come from there.. Have a good day Mr. Man!
Crying? No crying here. I started a thread to congratulate the guy on a great career, and you proceeded to downplay it and be negative. I'll leave it at this APPman..if holding EVERY passing record in SoCon history, doesn't make him a great QB, I'm not sure how you measure greatness.

whoanellie
November 21st, 2010, 01:10 PM
you are so off base saying pretty good... and a not so good team... roll the clock back 5 years and I would agree.
To have played at the highest levels of competition in FCS namely the SoCon You have to give this guy his due respect.
Here is the official NCAA link on Scott Riddle http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2010&org=1068&player=16
It is was it is a notable career, and a leader in turning a program around. To quote coach K, "you have to respect excellence"

phoenixphanatic21
November 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM
To this thread: xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxs mileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmi leyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmile yclapxxsmileyclapx

Riddle is the best passing quarterback in the history of the Southern Conference and he will definitely be missed. Say what you want about him, but the stats do not lie. I wish him all the best with whatever comes his way, be it in baseball, the AFL, the CFL or (hopefully) the NFL.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2010, 01:27 PM
don't take this comment the wrong way, but I think Riddle would be perfect for the AFL but hey what do I know

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM
don't take this comment the wrong way, but I think Riddle would be perfect for the AFL but hey what do I know

AGREE! Goodluck WOfford and let me know how good our unis look on TV Elon... GOODLUCK once again to Riddle if not Im sure Eastern Randolph could use some help with their coaching staff.. He did get a ring there..

walliver
November 21st, 2010, 01:41 PM
To me, Riddle at Elon was a little like Phillip Rivers at NC State. Both players had great college careers, but neither team reached the heights I would have expected by the time they were seniors. Which I think reflects negatively on the coaches, not the players themselves.

I'm sure he will get a free agent shot at the NFL, but think he'll end up in the AFL or CFL.

ASUTodd
November 21st, 2010, 02:31 PM
Who's Scott Riddle?

PhoenixMan
November 21st, 2010, 03:04 PM
I have a lot of respect for what App has done. However, you have proven yourself to be such a horses rear end, that I should point out to you that App St. joined the SoCon in 1971. They did not win a SoCon Championship until 1986. So, as for your "Elon will never be a contender..." comment, you need to get a clue on the meaning of a word like never (and a clue about quite a few other things as well)

WoCoTerrier
November 21st, 2010, 03:57 PM
Riddle did have a good career. I wouldn't listen to Appman04. He'd probably tell you that AE would have been the best passing QB in SoCon history if he had passed more. 41 ints may be a lot, but for how much he threw it, it certainly isn't bad. Brett Favre has the all time NFL record for ints, who thinks he's a terrible QB?

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2010, 04:42 PM
Riddle did have a good career. I wouldn't listen to Appman04. He'd probably tell you that AE would have been the best passing QB in SoCon history if he had passed more. 41 ints may be a lot, but for how much he threw it, it certainly isn't bad. Brett Favre has the all time NFL record for ints, who thinks he's a terrible QB?

I never said he was terrible, I actually gave him some props especially for being a local guy.. I just said he was not great and his team is not any good and wont be ever..... I made the point that he had no other choice to throw alot for that reason alone! As stated before much luck to the guy in the future and keep our television ratings high for us again.. Thanks peace and CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP -APPMAN

ElonPride
November 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM
Passing yds 13,264
Rushing touchdowns 14

He also owns the SoCon record for passing yards in a single game: 534 yards in a loss at Furman in '07.