PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa vs Lehigh

Pages : [1] 2

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 09:14 AM
Bummed that we didn't get a bye, but excited to meet some Lehigh fans. Watched your game against Kansas in the NCAA tourney in OKC last year.

Who's coming to Cedar Falls?

LUHawker
November 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM
What is nearest airport?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2010, 09:19 AM
What is nearest airport?

O'Hara? If nothing else the team should be familiar with the state of Iowa. They started the season at Drake. I believe this should be a very competitive game.

LUHawker
November 21st, 2010, 09:21 AM
O'Hara? If nothing else the team should be familiar with the state of Iowa. They started the season at Drake. I believe this should be a very competitive game.

Seriously, what CITY, please?

UNIFanSince1983
November 21st, 2010, 09:26 AM
Cedar Rapids and Des Moines are pretty big and really close. Minneapolis is a large airport accessible from most places, and it is only about 3 hours away. Those are closer than O'Hare in Chicago which is 5 hours away.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2010, 09:26 AM
Am bummed it's not in the local area. But excited to play a non-CAA team for the first time since... Western Illinois. ;)

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 09:30 AM
What is nearest airport?

I would look at flying to Cedar Rapids or Moline,IL. Waterloo is the closest.

Des Moines and Minneapolis also work.

Cedar Rapids 45mn-1 hr
Moline/Des Moines 2 hrs
Mpls 3hrs

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2010, 09:32 AM
All I keep thinking right now is: "The matchup of what should have been the second round of the NCAA Basketball Tournament, 2009" ;)

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 09:32 AM
I'll be in town from Wednesday on, so let me know when you guys get to town and we can grab some food and or drinks.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2010, 09:33 AM
This is a game where i hope UNI looks past Lehigh to Delaware. Just checking out the UNI board and some fans are already chalking the LU game up as blowout. It will be nice for a PL team to finally play someone else than the CAA champ. Should be a goood litmus test for the league.

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 09:37 AM
This is a game where i hope UNI looks past Lehigh to Delaware. Just checking out the UNI board and some fans are already chalking the LU game up as blowout. It will be nice for a PL team to finally play someone else than the CAA champ. Should be a goood litmus test for the league.

Those same fans are already chalking up a Delaware loss. Don't listen to them. A lot of them are very uneducated about FCS football.

LUHawker
November 21st, 2010, 09:40 AM

Agreed. This is a tough draw for LU, particularly because of the travel, although LU was already in Iowa once this year at Drake, so they should know the way. Lehigh's offense was pathetically vanilla yesterday vs. Lafayette. Maybe the coaches were keeping it close to the vest. Lehigh has a very good defense, so I am less concerned about that, than getting the offense cranked up.

I don't know much about UNI except that they are very good, especially at home. I hope it is on TV because a visit could be difficult with out of town family coming in for T-day.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2010, 09:41 AM
Those same fans are already chalking up a Delaware loss. Don't listen to them. A lot of them are very uneducated about FCS football.

N Iowa fans view Delaware as we view Nova - snakebit

RichH2
November 21st, 2010, 09:44 AM
Booking my tickets today to fly in on Friday am. Nice to get away from CAA for a change UNI very tough at home in the Dome only one loss. UNI fans certainly think we are a walkover . I remember the Western Illinois game. They thought we were a walkover also.

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 09:46 AM
Booking my tickets today to fly in on Friday am. Nice to get away from CAA for a change UNI very tough at home in the Dome only one loss. UNI fans certainly think we are a walkover . I remember the Western Illinois game. They thought we were a walkover also.

We better not overlook anyone with the way we played yesterday. Look forward to meeting you guys and learning more about your team.

Wildcat80
November 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM
Good luck Lehigh!!! Hope you represent the Northeast well! Only 1st round game that matters to us UNH fans. Do Good!!!

Kramden
November 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Good luck to Lehgh. Agree it is nice for a PL team to not play a CAA Team in round one. Holy Cross played 'Nova as well as anyone did last year.

kardplayer
November 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
New York Area flights per Kayak (fly out Friday, home Sunday):
Newark to Cedar Rapids - $455
Laguardia to Des Moines then back from Fort Dodge to Laguardia - $447
Laguardia to Minneapolis - $433

Cedar Rapids seems like the way to go.

I'm wondering if there will be a charter from ABE though.

Da Coach
November 21st, 2010, 09:55 AM
We better not overlook anyone with the way we played yesterday. Look forward to meeting you guys and learning more about your team.

Robby, Boy ~ maybe Western Illinois had something to do with "the way you played yesterday!" Just don't want to admit it, do ya? ;-)

Bogus Megapardus
November 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
With no small amount of trepidation I wish Lehigh the best of luck in representing the Patriot League. I would have preferred to see this game at Goodman where the outdoor elements (including odors, atmospheric iron slag, over-grazing, etc.) would certainly have helped the Engineers. But I think this will be a very good game. It could conceivably set up a classic Lehigh-Delaware game, which I wouldn't want to miss.

So good luck (grumble, grumble) Engineers.

Mn_Moose
November 21st, 2010, 09:58 AM
back from Fort Dodge to Laguardia - $447

Ft Dodge? = http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/Crop_Duster.jpg

superman7515
November 21st, 2010, 10:02 AM

If you fly from Philadelphia to Cedar Rapids...
American Airlines - $330
Delta $336
US Air $371
United $377

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2010, 10:06 AM
Agreed. This is a tough draw for LU, particularly because of the travel, although LU was already in Iowa once this year at Drake, so they should know the way. Lehigh's offense was pathetically vanilla yesterday vs. Lafayette. Maybe the coaches were keeping it close to the vest. Lehigh has a very good defense, so I am less concerned about that, than getting the offense cranked up.

I don't know much about UNI except that they are very good, especially at home. I hope it is on TV because a visit could be difficult with out of town family coming in for T-day.

Vanilla? Another pathetic excuse from a Lehigh fan. Lehigh already had 10 games on film, what the hell would they be hiding in the last regular season game of the year.

LEHIGH61
November 21st, 2010, 10:16 AM
THE last time LEHIGH PLAYED A TEAM FROM THAT LEAGUE (WESTERN ILLINOIS), WE BLEW THEM OUT BY MORE THAN 3 TOUCHDOWNS. LET'S SEE IF COACH CECCHINI CAN WORK HIS MAGIC.

RichH2
November 21st, 2010, 10:22 AM
Ample flights Friday. Any suggestions as to food and lodging. We will rent a car but I still would like to be as close to UNI as feasible.

Charter flights for LV folks are apparently in the works.

Chi Panther
November 21st, 2010, 10:46 AM
First off, congrats Lehigh to a great year!

Fly into Cedar Rapids, about 60 mins from the UNI Dome.
If not there, fly into Waterloo....about 8 mins to the UNI Dome.

Regarding the WIU game yesterday. WIU was playing for their playoffs lives. This UNI team is very young, only 3 senior starters. They were believing the MVFC Champs hype and didn't even show up. It also didn't help our QB was knocked out of the game early. Hopefully he can play against Lehigh. If he doesn't.....UNI is in BIG trouble.

Happy Thanksgiving!xhurrayx

RabidRabbit
November 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM

Dont forget the check SW Air Newark/Philly/BWI to MPLS

ngineer
November 21st, 2010, 11:46 AM
THE last time LEHIGH PLAYED A TEAM FROM THAT LEAGUE (WESTERN ILLINOIS), WE BLEW THEM OUT BY MORE THAN 3 TOUCHDOWNS. LET'S SEE IF COACH CECCHINI CAN WORK HIS MAGIC.

And Cecchini was the OC for that team/game as well. I, too, was surprised at the lack of any 'trick' plays yesterday by both teams. We did show a new package with Kennedy as a WR, but nothing in the 'razzle-dazzle' category.

Also, for those looking to go, the University may have seats available IF the team is travellng by charter, as they did for Drake. There were about 25-30 seats available for alum/parents/fans. Unfortunately, for me, with my son being home for Thanksgiving and my 40th HS reunion Saturday night, I won't be able to attend in person, but I would think WFMZ will have arrangements made to televise.

ngineer
November 21st, 2010, 11:50 AM
I think this can be a very competitive game. Key will be the offense making sustained drives to give the D, which has been the foundation for this year's success, to rest. Team will need to acclimate to an indoor arena and the louder atmosphere. I would think there will be a number of practice sessions inside Rauch Fieldhouse, at Goodman Campus, the next few days.

hawkineer
November 21st, 2010, 12:20 PM
Vanilla? Another pathetic excuse from a Lehigh fan. Lehigh already had 10 games on film, what the hell would they be hiding in the last regular season game of the year.
xblahblahx
This is what make THE RIVALRY so great. You get to be this miserable and bitter for 364 days until Laughing-at-it gets another chance. xbawlingx xbawlingx

God, life is good! xnodx xnodx

LUHawker
November 21st, 2010, 12:37 PM

How do you interpret that as an excuse?? It is simply an observation. Would you say that Lehigh's offensive play calling was particularly creative? Lafayette's offense was just as dull.

Bogus Megapardus
November 21st, 2010, 12:40 PM
How do you interpret that as an excuse?? It is simply an observation. Would you say that Lehigh's offensive play calling was particularly creative? Lafayette's offense was just as dull.

At least Lehigh adjusted properly when their run game became ineffective. Can't really say the Pards followed suit.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2010, 12:40 PM
This thread is about Lehigh and UNI.

lehidude
November 21st, 2010, 01:11 PM
This was a really mean thing the committee did.

Bogus Megapardus
November 21st, 2010, 01:54 PM
This was a really mean thing the committee did.

How so? I think this will be an excellent game. It would be nice to have the game in the Lehigh Valley, but I don't think you could ask for a better game. And if Lehigh wins, you get to play Delaware which is a long-time historic rival. I think the committee did Lehigh a favor, quite frankly.

hawkineer
November 21st, 2010, 02:02 PM
How so? I think this will be an excellent game. It would be nice to have the game in the Lehigh Valley, but I don't think you could ask for a better game. And if Lehigh wins, you get to play Delaware which is a long-time historic rival. I think the committee did Lehigh a favor, quite frankly.
I agree. It would have been nice to play home. However, once it was clear that matchups were not going to based on geography, that was not going to be in the cards. The attendance figures have not been all that impressive recently at Goodman to wow the selection committee. Got to play good teams anyway, so why not UNI with a chance to get back in the neighborhood if you win? Perhaps this will light a fire on the students and locals to start attending some games.

lehidude
November 21st, 2010, 02:04 PM
I'm not disputing that it will be an excellent game. I think sending a team to the UNI-Dome in the first round is the equivalent of the "last team in" scenario. Granted, the committee's inclusion of of 3 MVFC teams clutterred the potential candidates for the game. I just think Lehigh played well enough this year that if they weren't getting a home game or first round bye, they should have had an easier first round matchup.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2010, 02:07 PM

You implied that Lehigh kept the offense simple on purpose to avoid getting plays on film. I saw the same offense out of Lehigh I saw all year.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
I'm not disputing that it will be an excellent game. I think sending a team to the UNI-Dome in the first round is the equivalent of the "last team in" scenario. Granted, the committee's inclusion of of 3 MVFC teams clutterred the potential candidates for the game. I just think Lehigh played well enough this year that if they weren't getting a home game or first round bye, they should have had an easier first round matchup.

I am shocked that 6-5 Coastal Carolina got a home game out of the dreadful Big South. Liberty would have been a lock with their attendance, but Coastal is weird.

Otherwise NDSU, UNI, and Georgia Southern got home games. All of those teams are among the leaders in FCS attendance so no surpise there.

lehidude
November 21st, 2010, 02:24 PM
I am shocked that 6-5 Coastal Carolina got a home game out of the dreadful Big South.

I think that this, and the first round MEAC bye, are the two biggest head scratchers.

kardplayer
November 21st, 2010, 02:32 PM
The committee matches teams and then looks at who bid more between the two teams. Has nothing to do with record.

RichH2
November 21st, 2010, 02:56 PM
Kard beat me to it. Coastal is a bit of a mystery but they beat liberty.Seems committee was not going to put in 7 CAA teams. Anyway, I like UNI match. A new team . I do hope it wont be like last dome appearance out west. 77-7 at Idaho. UNI qb hurt I read. While I want edge for my boys, I hope he is well enuf to play. no kid should miss a playoff game. They are not there every year.

LUHawker
November 21st, 2010, 03:11 PM
You implied that Lehigh kept the offense simple on purpose to avoid getting plays on film. I saw the same offense out of Lehigh I saw all year.

Sorry FT, but you inferred that. No idea if it was intentional or not, but it was definitely blasé.

Bogus Megapardus
November 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM
Kard beat me to it. Coastal is a bit of a mystery but they beat liberty.Seems committee was not going to put in 7 CAA teams. Anyway, I like UNI match. A new team . I do hope it wont be like last dome appearance out west. 77-7 at Idaho. UNI qb hurt I read. While I want edge for my boys, I hope he is well enuf to play. no kid should miss a playoff game. They are not there every year.

I was going to ask if Lehigh had played in a dome before but I guess that answers it. I guess it's no big deal but it seems like such an odd thing for a northeastern team to play indoors. It doesn't happen often.

colorless raider
November 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM
I am shocked that 6-5 Coastal Carolina got a home game out of the dreadful Big South. Liberty would have been a lock with their attendance, but Coastal is weird.

Otherwise NDSU, UNI, and Georgia Southern got home games. All of those teams are among the leaders in FCS attendance so no surpise there.

Coastal ran up the score vs Charleston Southern; that might have helped them, Classless to say the least.

van
November 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM
Coastal had to run up the score to get in, tie breaker was points delta and they had a big deficit to make up. Rather remarkable that they were able to make it up, IMHO.

Thundar
November 21st, 2010, 04:31 PM
Kick some A** Panthers

RichH2
November 21st, 2010, 05:44 PM
Isn't Hank Small the AD at Coastal?

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM

He was running on the sideline after the injury. I think it was a precaution. The backup QB has a lot of experience.

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM
So far I've heard Lehigh is pretty balanced on offense. Is that accurate? I haven't had a chance to scour stats or anything. 4 man front on defense?

UNIFanSince1983
November 21st, 2010, 06:34 PM
He was running on the sideline after the injury. I think it was a precaution. The backup QB has a lot of experience.

I know Rennie seems to miss at least one play every game because of an injury, and with nothing to really play for and being down at that point there was no reason to put him back in. Davis has experience and has looked good in the past, but has not looked good this year at all. We need Rennie to be in, and we need him to be able to run!

I am looking forward to this game. It will be nice to see a different team in the Dome. I, however, am not happy that it has to be this coming week. Should be a busy weekend for UNI athletics at home that weekend. There could possibly be a home VB game, a home men's bball game and a home football game all on the same day. CRAZY!

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM
I know Rennie seems to miss at least one play every game because of an injury, and with nothing to really play for and being down at that point there was no reason to put him back in. Davis has experience and has looked good in the past, but has not looked good this year at all. We need Rennie to be in, and we need him to be able to run!

I am looking forward to this game. It will be nice to see a different team in the Dome. I, however, am not happy that it has to be this coming week. Should be a busy weekend for UNI athletics at home that weekend. There could possibly be a home VB game, a home men's bball game and a home football game all on the same day. CRAZY!

I agree. Davis really solidified his role as backup at SIU and has not looked much better since.

Ivytalk
November 21st, 2010, 07:47 PM
UNI wins this by two scores.

GannonFan
November 21st, 2010, 08:31 PM
I think that this, and the first round MEAC bye, are the two biggest head scratchers.

Coastal gets the home game because they have more money than WIU - they flat out outbidded them.

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM
UNI wins this by two scores.

That seems to be the popular opinion, but I really think our team needs to perform a million times better than last week to have a chance. I would guess that Lehigh is a much better team than the one that faced Nova and UNH early in the year.

UNI Pike
November 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM
Can anyone provide a rundown of the Lehigh team? Stars to watch, off/def scheme, etc?

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 08:56 PM
Can anyone provide a rundown of the Lehigh team? Stars to watch, off/def scheme, etc?

So far it looks like they are better through the air, but try to be balanced.

ValleyChamp
November 21st, 2010, 09:25 PM
That seems to be the popular opinion, but I really think our team needs to perform a million times better than last week to have a chance. I would guess that Lehigh is a much better team than the one that faced Nova and UNH early in the year.

Yeah, no kidding we do. But the circumstances this week are a bit different don't you think?

Go...gate
November 21st, 2010, 09:29 PM

Great kind of crazy, though, especially on a holiday weekend. Enjoy!

Squealofthepig
November 21st, 2010, 09:34 PM
Coastal gets the home game because they have more money than WIU - they flat out outbidded them.

On top of this, the committee also had to honor their "no two teams can rematch until EACH has played one game" - this meant some balancing acts around the MVC (and to a lesser extent the CAA).

I expect this to be a fairly close game, and curious to see how the dome gets filled up on a holiday weekend. UNI has played really well, and really horribly at times this year, but I think there's some ancient mummy curse on the MVC that just makes it impossible for outsiders to figure out this year. :)

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah, no kidding we do. But the circumstances this week are a bit different don't you think?

I hope so. Have we ever played a Patriot team?

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 11:23 PM
Lehigh fans, please join us at Panther Nation. We've got one Lehigh fan and he's a complete tool.

letsgopards04
November 22nd, 2010, 07:48 AM
Go Panthers! Watch for any fists UNI and please do a better job stopping Lehigh on 3rd down than we did.

Pard4Life
November 22nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
How fitting... the Pigeons start and end their year in Iowa.

UNI should be able to easily handle Lehigh's passing attack. Lum is an average QB and dare I say Lafayette's O'Neil was just as good, if not better. Nothing will be able to get by Rackley but if I can recall, the right side of the line is susceptible to pressure.

UNI 49, Lehigh 17; hopefully it's worse than the Colgate-Villanova thrashing.

Pard4Life
November 22nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
Lehigh fans, please join us at Panther Nation. We've got one Lehigh fan and he's a complete tool.

Be careful what you wish for; more will follow.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2010, 09:54 AM

This is not me. Repeat, not me. xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2010, 11:15 AM

Keep in mind that Lehigh has no merit scholarships, no redshirts and is limited to about 10% of available recruits by the Patriot academic index. So UNI's athletes will be better than Lehigh's - and that can be said for any FCS playoff team. That's just the nature of the Patriot League. But you'll find that Lehigh executes almost perfectly with what they have and they will have thoroughly studied every scrap on film on the Panthers. Lafayette, arguably the worst Patriot team, held Lehigh's ground game to a bare minimum so I'd say Lehigh's threat is through the air. Lehigh QB Chris Lum throws a fastball and is accurate in tight coverage. Lehigh will show some very elaborate schemes both offensively and defensively.

So, Lehigh will know UNI's game and its tendencies. UNI will win by punching Lehigh in the mouth, wearing them down and being more physical. Lehigh will win by coaxing over-pursuit, screening over UNI's pass rush, mis-directing UNI's LBs and secondary, and creating defensive mis-matches.

I think this will be a very good game.

ColgateTD
November 22nd, 2010, 11:22 AM
Good luck Engineers! Do good! I think we played UNI back in 2003 - our 2nd place year in FCS..;)

Kramden
November 22nd, 2010, 11:34 AM
It was Wetsrn Illinois in 2003, not UNI that Colgate played in the second round. The lack of scholarships, but more importantly the academic index, will always have the Patriot League Representative less athletic than other conferences. Good tough football players who are pretty smart, but NIU, you will see less impact players in Lehigh; just don't take them lightly.

LehighFan11
November 22nd, 2010, 11:36 AM
Got to love the sore Lafayette supporters finding their way on to the UNI vs. Lehigh thread and somehow discussing the Lehigh/Laf game more than the upcoming playoff game. Hopefully Lehigh prepares well and runs an aggressive offensive scheme to stretch the field, because I agree Lehigh won't have much success on the ground. Lehigh may use more of Colvin at QB, because it is unlikely UNI will prepare much for him. I'd let him throw the ball if LBs and Safeties start coming to the line. I'm interested to see how the D fares vs. this QB. When was the last time Lehigh faces a QB as fast as Rennie? Whitney isn't comparable is he?

Kramden
November 22nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Good Luck to Lehigh. Make the PL Proud.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2010, 12:42 PM

I agree, other than the fact I was hoping for a home game, playing a longtime quality program like UNI is a great challenge. If we can keep our act together and not get flustered in the Dome, early, then this could go down to the wire. And, if we can pull off the upset, getting to go down to the TUB will be great. That will be a full house.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2010, 12:44 PM
Isn't Hank Small the AD at Coastal?

No, I think he's at College of Charleston.

Doc QB
November 22nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
No, I think he's at College of Charleston.

Chuck South

ngineer
November 22nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Lehigh runs a 3-4 defense with very mobile LB's one or more who will blitz on any occasion. The secondary is experienced.Cribbs has 7 INTs this year. The safeties have improved greatly from last year and 'read' well. D has been pretty effective against the run all year. Have played a little too soft on pass at times, which has allowed teams to move well, at times. Still, though giving up yardage, D is point stingy..approx. 16/game ave.

Offense is multiple. Lum has a very good arm and is above average, verging on good. He's learning his progressions better, but has a tendency to 'lock in' on a receiver. Too many times this year, wide open receivers not looked at. However, he's pretty accurate, which is why he beat out the incumbent senior at the beginning of the year. WRs are very good, although we've had several unexplained drops the past two weeks. They are not 'mighty burners' but they have been getting open. The TE is very dependable as a receiver, as well. OL has good size and LT Rackley is All-American material. While the O would like to be more balanced, the pass is what makes the engine run. The backfield changes up with 'scat back' Campbell and a more power back in Barket. FB's are good blockers and rarely carry the ball. However, LU does "change it up" with a Wildcat look with Soph. QB Colvin who has good size and is more of a natural runner than Lum. Problem has been the predictability of what we're going to do, yet, the idea is to let the QB find his opening. Unfortunately, too often this year, the 'big' opening to the left or right has not been seen and they run straight ahead. I would hope we're setting up some more innovation off this set if we're going to continue with it.

ST's are solid. PK has been fairly accurate, though he hit upright against LC on xp. 8/8 on FG's , but not a huge leg. I would guess indoors he could hit from 45 yds. His kickoffs have gotten much better from a shaky start this year.
Punter, Smith is very good. Good hang time, and is getting pretty good at dropping them inside the 20. I think he's one of the leaders in net punting this year. Very few get returned.
Return game is very good. Kennedy a real threat to take it to the house if he gets the chance. Cribbs is also dangerous as PR.

Man for man, we won't have the number of athletes a school such as UNI will have. Therefore, schemes and adjustments during the game will be huge. Based upon experience, I would suspect our OC will be studying film day and night this week. He ripped apart Western Illinois 10 years ago. The DC is also good. He came here with Coen and installed the 3-4 which wasn't warmly received at first. But now, he has the personnel he wants in this scheme and it's been working quite well. Lehigh has been a national leader in sacks the past couple years.

Realistically, I see us as a two touchdown underdog. That means we cannot make mistakes as we have the past three weeks, both in execution and stupid penalties. Experience has shown in the playoffs, you never know what umpiring crew you're getting and some conferences call things differently. Eliminate most mistakes and cause a turnover or two, and we can pull a surprise. Just have to be ready to take advantage of the opportunity when it comes.

MSUDuo
November 22nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
Just made my way over to PantherNation.com for one heck of a good laugh. Hope this Hawker guy keeps coming back. Hilarious stuff. Sorry that the UNI fans have to put up with him. Most seem to be enjoying it as well though.

UNI Pike
November 22nd, 2010, 01:39 PM
I also posted most of the below on panthernation.com - sorry for the repeat for those who have already read this.

- I saw that one (and only one) UNI fan saw starting QB Rennie running the sidelines after the shot to the knee. Don't know how valid that info is, but that would be a huge plus. Personally, I think Farley pulled him after the injury when looking at how the game was progressing, planning for the next week.

- You wouldn't know it from the current chatter, but entering the year, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. We were picked to finish 4th. At the beginning of the season, we had one returning starter on the O-line & D-line. There was a QB controversy, with the current backup being looked at as the heir apparent. We are playing with house money this year. Next year there will be serious levels of improvement as we add talent.

- We play a 3-4 defense also, so this would not be a new wrinkle for us. However, we have a linebacker pulled up to the line as a speed rusher maybe 50% of the time.

- UNI typically runs the pistol offense with Rennie in at QB. If the backup enters, you will see some more Pro-style drop back passing.

- Starting QB Rennie is a JUCO transfer. Only in the past three games has everything gelled for him, the OC, and the O-line. I would compare him to Armanti Edwards, though right handed. AE was a better passer, but both have that slippery running style that makes the other team's d extremely frustrated.

- Difference will likely be the UNI team speed. From what I have read, we are consistently labeled the fastest team anyone has played against - on both sides of the ball.

- UNI kickoff returns have been very good this year. Carlos Anderson who is our lead RB is crazy good in open space. He has 2 TD on KO so far. Seems to be very comparable to Lehigh's KO returner Kennedy. UNI Punt returns have been a non factor so far this year. Kicking game is so-so.

HensRock
November 22nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
...I guess it's no big deal but it seems like such an odd thing for a northeastern team to play indoors. It doesn't happen often.

It is a big deal. That dome is LOUD!
I am used to Delaware games sold out at 22-23K. I've never been in a game louder than our game in the UNI Dome in 2007. I'm talking can't-hear-the-person-standing-next-to-you LOUD. That was in the stands. I can't imagine what it was like on the field. Don't bother with a loud stereo system to simulate the noise level. Best thing your team can do to prepare is to let every player play their iPod with earphones in under their helmets. Crank 'em up loud so they can't hear anything else.

Nice fans too. Many were very complimentary on our program and wished us good luck the following week as we walked out. I had a great trip. We went to Pepper's after the game and a UNI fan bought us a round of drinks!

dav204
November 22nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
How many Lehigh fans do you think are going to be at this game?

UNI Pike
November 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
Tickets should not be a problem for the game being the weekend after Turkey Day. Guesstimates saying +/- 12K with capacity of 17K. UNI v DE game cited above was about 15 K (would have been SRO except for major ice storm that took place overnight before the game).

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
Realistically, I see us as a two touchdown underdog.

The Sportsbook is out. It is UNI (-19) vs Lehigh with an O/U of 38.5. It's the largest spread of the first round.

Here are all the first round lines:

UNI (-19) vs Lehigh - O/U 38.5

Western Illinois (-8.5) at Coastal Carolina - O/U 61.5

Georgia Southern (-11.5) vs SC State - O/U 37

NDSU (-9) vs Robert Morris - O/U 33.5

UNI Pike
November 22nd, 2010, 02:15 PM
Farley will find someway to make it a final possession game with us in prevent D.

nmatsen
November 22nd, 2010, 02:40 PM
Farley will find someway to make it a final possession game with us in prevent D.

Nope, not against these guys. Anyone who doesn't beat Drake by 28 plus won't be in a game at the Dome come Saturday at 2:00PM.

LehighGuy
November 22nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
Long-distance home opener with a young squad...this is a different team now. UNI fans are channeling WIU fans circa 2000 and I'm loving every second of it.

LehighGuy
November 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM
The Sportsbook is out. It is UNI (-19) vs Lehigh with an O/U of 38.5. It's the largest spread of the first round.

Explain the math behind a -19 line and an over/under of 38. Either the Lehigh win or the over is a lock, just need to decide which.

UNIFanSince1983
November 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM

So wow we are 19 point favorites, but the o/u is only at 38.5 which to me means these guys think Lehigh won't be scoring many points. I don't know about either one of those lines.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2010, 03:30 PM

Bogus, you're right - they just shouldn't play the game. Just chalk up the win to the Panthers. ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
Monday's Word: Norris Division

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/11/mondays-word-norris-division.html

I won't lie: I'm ready for both teams to suit it up tonight and play this game! But just in case you weren't jacked enough for this matchup, I wrote my "Sunday Word" and it's basically a tribute to MVC football, "The Rivalry" between Lehigh and Lafayette and some good hockey stuff thrown in there to boot.

My preview and breakdown of the game will be coming Wednesday.

UNI Pike
November 22nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
How does Littlejohn's absence for the ejection affect Lehigh's secondary? Was he a starter? Looks like he had good size for a DB.

LehighGuy
November 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
How does Littlejohn's absence for the ejection affect Lehigh's secondary? Was he a starter? Looks like he had good size for a DB.

Solid kid, but not a game-changer or anything.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2010, 04:46 PM
I am reading the thread on PantherNation.com and it is a thing of beauty. xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Bogus, you're right - they just shouldn't play the game. Just chalk up the win to the Panthers. ;)

Don't shoot the messenger. I post the Ivy and Patriot spreads every week as you know. I'd take Lehigh and the points myself.

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
I am reading the thread on PantherNation.com and it is a thing of beauty. xlolx

Reading the Northern Iowa Board So You Don't Have To:

I just took a peek there. Here's the take-away: The University of Northern Iowa has a storied and renowned football history; conversely, nobody has ever heard of Lehigh (or Lafayette) which must have played in Division III at some time in the not-too-distant past; It's not *really* an airplane hangar; The University of Northern Iowa will win by four touchdowns; "Hawker" is probably a trolling Lafayette fan; Lehigh either is or is not a non-scholarship college (depending on who's asking); and Cedar Falls, Iowa has both a hotel and a restaurant.

Does that about sum it up?

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM

I just took a peek there. Here's the take-away: The University of Northern Iowa has a storied and renowned football history; conversely, nobody has ever heard of Lehigh (or Lafayette) which must have played in Division III at some time in the not-too-distant past; It's not *really* an airplane hangar; The University of Northern Iowa will win by four touchdowns; "Hawker" is probably a trolling Lafayette fan; Lehigh either is or is not a non-scholarship college (depending on who's asking); and Cedar Falls, Iowa has both a hotel and a restaurant.

Yeah, hopefully we can get some actual conversation going.

HensRock
November 22nd, 2010, 06:46 PM

I'll take:
Lehigh +19
Coastal +8.5
SCState +11.5
NDSU -9

HensRock
November 22nd, 2010, 06:51 PM
Explain the math behind a -19 line and an over/under of 38. Either the Lehigh win or the over is a lock, just need to decide which.

Expected score:
Lehigh 9.5
UNI 28.5

LehighFan11
November 22nd, 2010, 06:53 PM

Interesting thing is I checked the lines in the AM and Lehigh opened +13 and I now see it at +18. Someone must of hit UNI hard.

ValleyChamp
November 22nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
I'll take:
Lehigh +19
Coastal +8.5
SCState +11.5
NDSU -9

Of all those games, you are taking ndsu to cover? Have you seen them play?

UNI Pike
November 22nd, 2010, 07:15 PM

You forgot that we play both kinds of music - both country and western.

lehidude
November 22nd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Lehigh may use more of Colvin at QB, because it is unlikely UNI will prepare much for him.

Please no? There's only so many times I can bear to watch these paltry gains straight up the middle.

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2010, 07:37 PM

Set 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, let 'em out,
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Rawhide!

ngineer
November 22nd, 2010, 10:13 PM
I'll definitely take the points. All things being equal, I see a 31-17 game. Noise will be an issue, so the iPod idea is a good one.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
Littlejohn is not a starter. Plays on ST's (scored the go ahead TD Saturday on the blocked punt). We have some decent depth in the secondary, so his absence should not be an issue.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2010, 10:24 AM

xlolx

RichH2
November 23rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
Rob,

My son and I are coming out. I will be happy to PM you and get together. I'll buy the 1st round.

UNIFanSince1983
November 23rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
Still don't really know, but I certainly hope this guy can play.

http://www.unipanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rennie_tirrell00.html

If he doesn't I know Zach will perform, but I like our chances A LOT better with Tirrell in the lineup.

UNI Pike
November 23rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
Farley is feeding the press a line Bison poo. #10 will be playing.

UNIFanSince1983
November 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
Well that is what I was thinking too. I think he is just trying to get Lehigh to prepare for both instead of just one. This takes away from them getting fully ready for a running quarterback, and have to deal with a pocket passer too. Just like he probably knew all along who was going to start game one, but didn't let anyone know until they ran onto the field for the first possession against NDSU.

UNI Pike
November 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Reflecting back on the NDSU game, I think he was genuinely debating the issue - though leaning to Rennie. Farley has a strong preference for experienced players. He saw the potential of Rennie, and how raw a talent that was at the time. Zach is still a better passer, though he tends to force things into tight coverage in addition to starring down receivers.

If Rennie diligently works with his line and receivers over the next off season, the sky is the limit.

ValleyChamp
November 23rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Reflecting back on the NDSU game, I think he was genuinely debating the issue - though leaning to Rennie. Farley has a strong preference for experienced players. He saw the potential of Rennie, and how raw a talent that was at the time. Zach is still a better passer, though he tends to force things into tight coverage in addition to starring down receivers.

If Rennie diligently works with his line and receivers over the next off season, the sky is the limit.

Zach is not a better passer. He can "throw" the ball better, but he is not a better passer. He has made some of the dumbest throws I have ever seen from a UNI QB when he has been in the games this year.

At least when Rennie makes a questionable throw, he can run for an 80 yard TD the next series. Zach can only follow his bad throw with another bad throw.

UNI Pike
November 23rd, 2010, 07:14 PM
I was only talking about mechanics, ball placement, etc.

heath
November 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Watched the game vs Lafayette,and you can't judge a team on an emotional rivalry,because honestly,neither looked like a playoff team. Now as the underdog,the pressure is off and its GAMETIME. After facing Nova,and UNH,LEHIGH will not be intimidated by UNI. Good Luck Hawksxtwocentsx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2010, 07:39 PM
UNI will win this game pretty easily IMO.

Panthers 35-10

VUCats02
November 23rd, 2010, 07:40 PM
Go Lehigh! 3 teams from Pennsylvania in the playoffs! (should be 4 if UPenn was allowed to be in the field) Representttttttttt

(On a serious note, my prediction is UNI wins by 15, but I will be rooting for Lehigh all the way)

ngineer
November 23rd, 2010, 10:40 PM
HC Andy Coen was named PL Coach of they Year today by his peers. A nice add-on to a fine season, so far. Today, he talked about his concern over UNI's size upfront and the speed/quickness of their QB. No question they're assuming #10 will be playing. If you prep for mobile QB, the adjustment to the stiff is nothing. As for noise, he noted the problems Delaware had in their game at the Dome with Flacco at QB in 2007. So LU knows what its walking into and will try and replicate as much as possible. Everyone would just love to face our old rival, Delaware, again; so there is added incentive (as if more was needed!).
I think if LU can keep composure in "the din" and hang close through the first quarter, then we can hang for the long haul. The longer Lehigh can keep close, the greater the pressure will be on UNI. Everyone is predicting a UNI victory by blowout proportions so I would expect the kitchen sink.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
Go Lehigh! 3 teams from Pennsylvania in the playoffs! (should be 4 if UPenn was allowed to be in the field) Representttttttttt

(On a serious note, my prediction is UNI wins by 15, but I will be rooting for Lehigh all the way)

Wait a minute, isn't Delaware county in the playoffs too? xlolx

Chi Panther
November 23rd, 2010, 10:54 PM
Well regarding the kitchen sink, I promise IF you run a flea-flicker like UNH, Richmond, every other non-conf team we play....you will score 6....

PantherRob82
November 24th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Well regarding the kitchen sink, I promise IF you run a flea-flicker like UNH, Richmond, every other non-conf team we play....you will score 6....

Not necesarily. This year teams have rna a flea-flicker and a reverse pass. Neither went for TDs.

UNIFanSince1983
November 24th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I don't know why everyone is picking us to win by so much. If you look we haven't really had too many 'blow outs' this year. We have two games I would consider a blow out, granted they were our last two home games, but they were not against playoff caliber teams. I don't care what conference they play in Lehigh has only lost two games this year. They will be dangerous, and I don't think anyone, especially UNI fans should be expecting a blow out.

ngineer
November 24th, 2010, 10:24 AM

I'm thinking beyond flea-flickers.xsmiley_wix

THE HERD
November 24th, 2010, 11:11 AM
As long as the panthers don't revert back to their two to three turnovers a game stuff that we saw early in the season, I say UNI wins by 10-14 points. If they get TO happy then watch out, but I don't think that will happen. Good Luck Panthers and Necks, Bison Nation will be rooting for ya! How many Schollys is Lehigh sitting at? Are they at the full 63?

Bogus Megapardus
November 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM
How many Schollys is Lehigh sitting at? Are they at the full 63?

You're joking, right? I hope so. The Patriot League has a fairly well-known policy on merit scholarships together with an academic index and a prohibition on freshman redshirting. Any time you play a Patriot team, you're playing a team with three hands tied behind its back.

RichH2
November 24th, 2010, 12:59 PM
xnonono2x PL does not permit at present merit aid. Aid, while targeted at football players, is based on need. LU somewhere in the mid to upper 50s equivalencies. We'll talk again after PL meetings in december.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2010, 01:29 PM
My preview of the UNI game:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/11/game-preview-fcs-playoffs-lehigh-at.html

Enjoy over some turkey.

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Nice writeup - a couple clarifications / amplifications

Josh Collins WR - out for the season with torn ACL. Unfortunately second year he has torn an ACL, both knees now injured. Was arguably the fastest player on the team.

Rennie QB - he will play unless he gets hit by a bus between now & game time. Think right handed Armanti Edwards, though not quite as good a passer.

Defense - technically staff says we run a 3-4, but the LB Connelly sets up on the line in a two point stance +/- 50% to rush.

Drink of the Week - Templeton Rye whiskey - if you can find it. Made in Templeton IA - more info @ http://www.templetonrye.com/home/

nmatsen
November 24th, 2010, 03:12 PM
If you can find me before the game I will have some Templeton Rye in my van.

Mountain Panther
November 24th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I will have some Templeton Rye in my van.

Along with some rope and some Vaseline.

j/k xsmiley_wix

ngineer
November 24th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Along with some rope and some Vaseline.

j/k xsmiley_wix

cue the banjos.....xviolinx

nmatsen
November 25th, 2010, 07:24 AM
cue the banjos.....xviolinx

I am from Iowa, we grow corn, not play Banjos. Do I look like I am from the Montana hills, the North Carolina poverty camps, or Pennsylvania mines?

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 25th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I am from Iowa, we grow corn, not play Banjos. Do I look like I am from the Montana hills, the North Carolina poverty camps, or Pennsylvania mines?

Did ya' miss the Deliverance reference from MP's post

Bogus Megapardus
November 25th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I am from Iowa, we grow corn

Actually, the corn grows by itself, if I'm not mistaken. Iowans mostly stand there and watch.

ngineer
November 25th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Did ya' miss the Deliverance reference from MP's post

Exactly my reason for 'cue the banjos'...!

DJKyR0
November 25th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Actually, the corn grows by itself, if I'm not mistaken. Iowans mostly stand there and watch.

I believe the term is "Iowegians."

rumple
November 25th, 2010, 01:50 PM
14 pages and counting on a game where the winner has the right to get smoked by the Hens!!!

Kramden
November 25th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Who has Delaware beaten this year and why does a school with such a good football program play West Chester and Duquesne with their OOC games? Whoever wins btween UNI and Lehigh I hope they shut the hens down.

Oldhen
November 25th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Who has Delaware beaten this year and why does a school with such a good football program play West Chester and Duquesne with their OOC games? Whoever wins btween UNI and Lehigh I hope they shut the hens down.

Legitimate question, and I can understand why you'd want another team to 'shut the Hens down...'

Second week we played SDSU, who were ranked number nine at the time. That proved to be over-rating them. (That's an OOC game against a playoff team from the year before.)

Fourth week we played Richmond, who were ranked number five at the time with a competitive loss to Virginia and a victory over Elon... they subsequently lost about half their team to injuries, but I think they were a legit top five-ten team at the time.

Fifth week we played JMU, at JMU... they were ranked number three at the time, 3-0 and a week removed from their win over Virginia Tech. I think we were the beginning of their implosion

Week ten we beat a fourteenth ranked UMass.

Our two losses... we lost to number four W&M when we missed a short FG at the end. We lost to 'Nova when we fumbled at the goal line in overtime (and out-gained them by a considerable margin).

Sagarin, who builds all this who-beats-who into their computer model still has us ranked #1 FCS, so the computer at least thinks we've beat some folks that have beat some folks...

WCU is a legacy that everybody is glad to be rid of... believe me, it was an unwelcome game that has hurt us in playoff consideration. They're history after 2011

If I remember correctly, Duquesne was a last minute addition to the schedule after Furman backed out of a home-and-home to pick up a paycheck playing South Carolina. We'd have preferred Furman. We don't play Duquesne again, I don't believe, and open up next year at Navy.

LehighFan11
November 25th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Legitimate question, and I can understand why you'd want another team to 'shut the Hens down...'

Second week we played SDSU, who were ranked number nine at the time. That proved to be over-rating them. (That's an OOC game against a playoff team from the year before.)

Fourth week we played Richmond, who were ranked number five at the time with a competitive loss to Virginia and a victory over Elon... they subsequently lost about half their team to injuries, but I think they were a legit top five-ten team at the time.

Fifth week we played JMU, at JMU... they were ranked number three at the time, 3-0 and a week removed from their win over Virginia Tech. I think we were the beginning of their implosion

Our two losses... we lost to number four W&M when we missed a short FG at the end. We lost to 'Nova when we fumbled at the goal line in overtime (and out-gained them by a considerable margin).

Sagarin, who builds all this who-beats-who into their computer model still has us ranked #1 FCS, so the computer at least thinks we've beat some folks that have beat some folks...

WCU is a legacy that everybody is glad to be rid of... believe me, it was an unwelcome game that has hurt us in playoff consideration. They're history after 2011

If I remember correctly, Duquesne was a last minute addition to the schedule after Furman backed out of a home-and-home to pick up a paycheck playing South Carolina. We'd have preferred Furman. We don't play Duquesne again, I don't believe, and open up next year at Navy.
xviolinx Save it for next weeks forum, no one cares.

Gil Dobie
November 25th, 2010, 05:56 PM

You say Iowegians are outstanding in their field. ;)

heath
November 25th, 2010, 06:13 PM

OOC games,not a CAA summary!It was just a question,don't get SO defensive you old hen.

LEHIGH61
November 25th, 2010, 06:49 PM
HELP PLEASE. Ncaa.com has the game listed on live streaming. Can I actually see the game. ANybody familiar with the sign-up process?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2010, 07:30 PM
HELP PLEASE. Ncaa.com has the game listed on live streaming. Can I actually see the game. ANybody familiar with the sign-up process?

I'm going to post a blog posting tomorrow explaining just that - and a tiny how-to guide for how to set up a TV with internet live streaming.

Oldhen
November 26th, 2010, 03:48 AM
OOC games,not a CAA summary! It was just a question,don't get SO defensive you old hen.

Actually, two questions were asked...

I was just trying to answer who UD has beaten this year, as that was the first question asked. If it came across as a CAA summary, that's unfortunate.

Wildcat80
November 26th, 2010, 06:55 AM
When was Lehigh's last playoff appearance? Ever win a 1st round game? Good luck in Iowa!!

superman7515
November 26th, 2010, 07:46 AM
When was Lehigh's last playoff appearance? Ever win a 1st round game? Good luck in Iowa!!

Last playoff appearance: 2004
Last playoff wins: 2001 Lehigh 27 - Hofstra 24 at Lehigh
2000 Lehigh 37 - Western Illinois 7 at Western Illinois
1998 Lehigh 24 - Richmond 23 at Richmond

UAalum72
November 26th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Last playoff appearance: 2004
Last playoff wins: 2001 Lehigh 27 - Hofstra 24 at Lehigh
2000 Lehigh 37 - Western Illinois 7 at Western Illinois
1998 Lehigh 24 - Richmond 23 at Richmond

Also 1979 Lehigh 28 - Murray St. 9

superman7515
November 26th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Also 1979 Lehigh 28 - Murray St. 9

I said their last wins. I didn't look all the way back to 1979 but:

Lehigh Post-Season Wins All-Time

2001 : Lehigh 27 - Hofstra 24 - at Lehigh
2000 : Lehigh 37 - Western Illinois 7 - at Western Illinois
1998 : Lehigh 24 - Richmond 23 - at Richmond
1979 : Lehigh 28 - Murray St 9 - at Murray State
1977 : Lehigh 30 - UMass 23 - at UMass (Div 2)
1977 : Lehigh 39 - Cal-Davis 30 - at Cal-Davis (Div 2)

ngineer
November 26th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I said their last wins. I didn't look all the way back to 1979 but:

Lehigh Post-Season Wins All-Time

2001 : Lehigh 27 - Hofstra 24 - at Lehigh
2000 : Lehigh 37 - Western Illinois 7 - at Western Illinois
1998 : Lehigh 24 - Richmond 23 - at Richmond
1979 : Lehigh 28 - Murray St 9 - at Murray State
1977 : Lehigh 30 - UMass 23 - at UMass (Div 2)
1977 : Lehigh 39 - Cal-Davis 30 - at Cal-Davis (Div 2)

IF you're going back to 1977--you missed the biggest of all: Lehigh 32 Jacksonville State 0 for the D-II Championship. Also, the 2004 last appearance was a 14-13 loss to James Madison who won the I-AA Championship that year. Lehigh was up 13-7 in the fourth quarter when JMU had first and goal at the one. Lehigh held all four downs, BUT an MEAC official threw a flag against Lehigh for "unsportsmanlike conduct" when the Lehigh DT who made the big stop jumped and in exuberation! JMU got another set of down and it still took them 3 more shots to get in! We still shake our head over that one.

ngineer
November 26th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Lehigh South Side Boosters have arranged for the game to be viewed at Starters Riverport in South Bethlehem. However, no guarantee of sound as yet. May have to bring along the ol' radio and listen to Lehigh play-by-play Matt Kerr and Mike Yadush on 1230 AM/1320AM ESPN Radio. Kickoff is 1 p.m. EST.

Wildcat80
November 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM
IF you're going back to 1977--you missed the biggest of all: Lehigh 32 Jacksonville State 0 for the D-II Championship. Also, the 2004 last appearance was a 14-13 loss to James Madison who won the I-AA Championship that year. Lehigh was up 13-7 in the fourth quarter when JMU had first and goal at the one. Lehigh held all four downs, BUT an MEAC official threw a flag against Lehigh for "unsportsmanlike conduct" when the Lehigh DT who made the big stop jumped and in exuberation! JMU got another set of down and it still took them 3 more shots to get in! We still shake our head over that one.

Nice!!! Hope you get some calls out west!

Milktruck74
November 26th, 2010, 10:33 AM

I remember that play. As an official, I was embarrased for that crew. The last thing you want to do is effect the outcome of a game, and that crew did!!!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Panthers will do the MV proud on saturday.

UNI: 35-10

ngineer
November 26th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Lehigh South Side Boostes have confirmed reserved room at Starters Riverport. 12:00 noon coverage beginning with 1 p.m. EST kickoff.

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I think Lehigh could win this game if it wasnt for that Dome

DJOM
November 26th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Don't worry about the dome. I'd be more concerned about Northern Iowa's speed. You can win this. Let's go Lehigh.

ngineer
November 26th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Key will be the defense keeping us in the game until the O gets acclimated. Noise shouldn't bother the D as much in the early going. Keeping Rennie under control will be crucial. I think Cecchini will have worked with the O on hand signals and some new schemes to surprise the Panthers.

ngineer
November 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I think Lehigh could win this game if it wasnt for that Dome

Yes, the Dome does seem to have an impact on most teams. Farley acknowledged that in his opinion the Dome was worth a good touchdown a game when they're at home. But, in the ol' wrestling mentality, "deal with it". Just think, it could be Missoula in a blizzard!

DJOM
November 26th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Take an early lead and Dome will quiet down. Light em up early.

UNIFanSince1983
November 26th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Sad thing is I don't know how many people will be there. The only Thanksgiving weekend playoff game I remember having a big crowd and being loud was in 2007 against UNH, and we were undefeated ranked #1 that year. I don't see there being much more than 10,000 people there. It can still get kind of loud then, but it wouldn't be like the Delaware fans or UNH fans witnessed in 2007. I hope I am wrong, but just don't know. I am glad the game is at Noon because I would hate to have to wait until late in the day.

LET'S GO PANTHERS!!

PantherRob82
November 26th, 2010, 10:08 PM
The Dome will be pretty empty.

Was hoping to meet up with some Lehigh guys tonight, but never heard anything.

Hopefully we can get the win and I can finally meet the coolest Delaware fans (you guys can sort out who is cooler). :)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I am incredibly jacked for this game. I'll be watching online, my only regret is I won't be seeing it in person.

ValleyChamp
November 26th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Sad thing is I don't know how many people will be there. The only Thanksgiving weekend playoff game I remember having a big crowd and being loud was in 2007 against UNH, and we were undefeated ranked #1 that year. I don't see there being much more than 10,000 people there. It can still get kind of loud then, but it wouldn't be like the Delaware fans or UNH fans witnessed in 2007. I hope I am wrong, but just don't know. I am glad the game is at Noon because I would hate to have to wait until late in the day.

LET'S GO PANTHERS!!

I agree. The thanksgiving weekend games at UNI (and all around the country for that matter) do not draw well at all. I do believe the number will be around 10K. Noise is always a factor in the dome, but it will be nowhere near what it is for most games.

ngineer
November 26th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I am incredibly jacked for this game. I'll be watching online, my only regret is I won't be seeing it in person.

I'll be at Starters. It feels like Christmas Eve as a kid.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I'm pumped for tomorrow! Everything i've read about UNI indicates this will be a great 60 minutes battle!

Go Lehigh!!!!

LehighGuy
November 26th, 2010, 10:56 PM
LETS GO LEHIGH!!!!!! POUND THOSE PANTHERS!!!!!!!

kardplayer
November 26th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Would have loved to make the trip out there, but Thanksgiving weekend made it a no go... Will be watching the game on NCAA.com. If there is no audio there (which I've heard), I'll stream the audio from Lehigh's website. Hopefully the picture isn't too far off the audio...

For those that want to listen in, Lehigh's stream is free (lehighsports.com)

LUHawker
November 26th, 2010, 11:20 PM
4 Games for Lehigh this year against felines. Two Wildcats (Villanova and New Hampshire), the Leopards (Lafayette) and now, the Panthers (UNI). Record thus far against felines 1-2; time to even that up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2010, 11:24 PM
4 Games for Lehigh this year against felines. Two Wildcats (Villanova and New Hampshire), the Leopards (Lafayette) and now, the Panthers (UNI). Record thus far against felines 1-2; time to even that up.

This is crazy, i was just thinking about this. Actually they're 2-2 unless Tigers moved out of the feline family.

LUHawker
November 27th, 2010, 12:30 AM
This is crazy, i was just thinking about this. Actually they're 2-2 unless Tigers moved out of the feline family.

You're right, I forgot about Princeton, so Lehigh is already 2-2 against felines. If Lehigh makes it 3-2 tomorrow, it will really have been an exceptional season.

ngineer
November 27th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Morning Call write up has the Hawks feeling confident they can pull this off. Lum actually seems to like the Dome...Actually the second time in a dome for him. PLayed in the Pontiac Silverdome as a kid 10 years ago. Not really the same, but the idea of a game 'indoors' is not foreign. Groller, in his blog, says he was unable to get an interview with UNI HC Farley. That seems a bit odd IMO. Headin' off to Starters to watch the game around 11:45 p.m. After the game, I'm headin' down to my hometown for my 40th HS reunion, so I won't be able to 'check in' until Sunday. Hope for great game, no injuries for either side, and a trip to New-ARK next week. L-E-H-I-G-H!! GO LEHIGH!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 27th, 2010, 07:44 AM

LOL....if Lehigh stays within 2 TDs, I would call that a victory.....

Pards Rule
November 27th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Is this game starting at noon Eastern?? The Iowans are saying at noon but they are an hour behind?? I'm CORN-fused as they say in Iowa!! Do they?

Oldhen
November 27th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Is this game starting at noon Eastern?? The Iowans are saying at noon but they are an hour behind?? I'm CORN-fused as they say in Iowa!! Do they?

1 PM EST

Bogus Megapardus
November 27th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Good luck, you propellerheads. Try not to embarrass yourselves.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Good luck, you propellerheads. Try not to embarrass yourselves.

I think I speak for Lehigh Nation when I say we appreciate the "good tidings", Bogus. :P

PantherRob82
November 27th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Excited for the early kick so we can get this thing started!

ColgateTD
November 27th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Good luck, Engineers, when you get past this and meet the Blue Hens..

UncleSam
November 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM
This UNI squad isn't nearly the quality of the past few that have participated in the playoffs, but the same can be said for Lehigh and the rest of the Patriot League playoff teams of the last few years. I expect that UNI will win, but I won't be surprised if it's much closer than some MVC fans expect.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 11:40 AM
If the video quality for the LU-UNI game is as bad as the Bloomsburg-Mercyhurst contest you might as well just dial up the radio.

AppState
November 27th, 2010, 11:50 AM
If the video quality for the LU-UNI game is as bad as the Bloomsburg-Mercyhurst you might as well just dial up the radio.

Agree. That feed is awful.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Agree. That feed is awful.

The sad part is that's the only one i can get to work.

superman7515
November 27th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Took long enough to get the audio feed up.

LehighU1995
November 27th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Video quality not too great. Slow frame rate!

UNI Pike
November 27th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Morning Call write up has the Hawks feeling confident they can pull this off. Lum actually seems to like the Dome...Actually the second time in a dome for him. PLayed in the Pontiac Silverdome as a kid 10 years ago. Not really the same, but the idea of a game 'indoors' is not foreign. Groller, in his blog, says he was unable to get an interview with UNI HC Farley. That seems a bit odd IMO. Headin' off to Starters to watch the game around 11:45 p.m. After the game, I'm headin' down to my hometown for my 40th HS reunion, so I won't be able to 'check in' until Sunday. Hope for great game, no injuries for either side, and a trip to New-ARK next week. L-E-H-I-G-H!! GO LEHIGH!!

Farley rarely provides interviews he is not contractually obligated to provide. Just not his thing.

As for playing indoors, some QBs have a problem adjusting to the flat (non-crowned) field.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Lum with another terrible pass. He's really struggled the last two weeks.

Umass74
November 27th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I'm watching the game on channelsurfing.net and the quality is very good.

blukeys
November 27th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Lum with another terrible pass. He's really struggled the last two weeks.

Yeah the pick he threw was a really bad decision.

unigriff
November 27th, 2010, 12:15 PM
its also on www.NCAA.com Same feed as channelsurfing. a second faster.

Lehigh defense better than I expected.

LehighU1995
November 27th, 2010, 12:16 PM
No faith in Lum at all.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 12:17 PM
TD UNI, Lehigh caught in a blitz and Rennie gets outside.

unigriff
November 27th, 2010, 12:18 PM
A lot of you may not know this but UNI QB T. Rennie was actually a better athlete in JC than Cam Newton :) And was one of the top three with Cam coming into this season. :)

LehighU1995
November 27th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Nice scramble by Lum!

superman7515
November 27th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Nice scramble by Lum!

+1

unigriff
November 27th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Lehigh playing well on the road...UNI leads 7-0 after 1 quarter. Both defenses have been pretty dang good so far.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Lehigh's D needs to come up big here and try to get offense the ball back with good field position.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Great job by the Lehigh defense!! LU just has to avoid mistakes!

LehighU1995
November 27th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Lehigh's Offense is going to be the cause of a lot of trouble for Lehigh today.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Lehigh's Offense is going to be the cause of a lot of trouble for Lehigh today.

I agree. Lum is an int waiting to happen everytime he goes back to pass.

LUHawker
November 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I agree. Lum is an int waiting to happen everytime he goes back to pass.

Lum seems to be out of kilter today. Bad news.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
The defense is outstanding. This game is going to come down to Lum.

LehighU1995
November 27th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Or the defense is going to wear down.

LehighU1995
November 27th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Wow Lum looks awful. He is going to give up a pick 6 here.

LUHawker
November 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Or the defense is going to wear down.

Too much trickery this early in the game. Lum locking on receivers and looking flustered.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Wow Lum looks awful. He is going to give up a pick 6 here.

He won't set his feet to make a pass. LU's oline is doing a decent job yet he's dancing all over the place.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Who's #10 on Lehigh? Playing great containing the UNI QB.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Another great job by the defense. Penalty on Lehigh costs the Hawks great field position.

LehighU1995
November 27th, 2010, 12:45 PM
wow big pass for LU!

TwoFeathers
Lehigh punter also doing a good job.

Pards Rule
Still 7-0?? How many fans at the UNI Dome??

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Lehigh's gotta score before half.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
What's all this trickery from the Lehigh O? Have they played that way all year?

LehighU1995
Not looking likely

TwoFeathers
Go for it!

LehighU1995
November 27th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Gotta go for it here

TwoFeathers
Oh no!

LehighU1995
Terrible decision to kick the FG

Go Lehigh TU owl
Should have went for it. Defense needs to hold down the fort for one more drive.

Pards Rule
November 27th, 2010, 12:49 PM
No good??? I dont have the feed!!

TwoFeathers
Pretty good D, at least.

LehighU1995
missed the FG

TwoFeathers
Missed it...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Cmon D!! One more stop!!

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Big hit on Renny! Ouch.

TwoFeathers
November 27th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Come on Lehigh D! Hold that Fort!

Pards Rule
November 27th, 2010, 12:52 PM
If they go in only losing 7-0 thats good for Hawks...

NDSUFREAK
NCAA webcast isn't too bad! Good game to watch as I prepare to leave for the FFD.

Go UNI!

LUHawker
Can Andy please recruit a kicker this year!

TwoFeathers
Switching over to the Georgia Southern / SC State Game.... Go Mountain Hawks!

Gotta see who will be travelling to play the Tribe next week.

LehighU1995
Big INT!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Huge int!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Do not make a mistake!! Lehigh gets the ball to start the second half.

LehighFan11
November 27th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Renne needs to hit the weight room. Can't throw it far enough for the 2nd time.

LehighU1995
November 27th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Seriously, Lum is awful.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Seriously, Lum is awful.

I have no clue where he was throwing that 3rd down pass. That was horrendous.

LehighU1995
November 27th, 2010, 12:58 PM
wow another huge pick for LU!

Chemhen
November 27th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Another pick; Lehigh ball at the 1. Rennie is getting pounded.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Unless Lum figures things out UNI will win this game 7-0.

Pards Rule
November 27th, 2010, 01:00 PM
OMG at UNI 1??

rumple
November 27th, 2010, 01:00 PM
LOL at these 2 qbs!

LehighFan11
November 27th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Looks like Lehigh could be down a few scores if Rennie could throw the ball down the field. Lehigh has to be happy down 7. Need to be able to run the ball a little and Lum needs to connect on the short passing routes, he has been very wild.

hawkineer
Let's hope for a strong 3rd quarter which they have shown over the last seven games.

kardplayer
No good??? I dont have the feed!! Feed is on NCAA.com and is free... http://www.ncaa.com/allaccess/?media=213860

Pards Rule
November 27th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks Kard

kardplayer
November 27th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I don't understand attempting the field goal on 4th and 1 there. Defense is playing great, so they should be able to take risks.

UNI Pike
November 27th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Again the UNI OC is trying to win the game all on one 50 yard throw. That is not Rennie's strength. He needs to be rolled out, with 5-15 yard sidelines, slants, etc.

LUHawker
November 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Lehigh can absolutely win this game, but only if Lum emerges from his funk. Locking on to receivers, mind-boggling passes to ???, and a general malaise won't cut it. UNI's defense is tough, but there are opportunities there. I am hoping that the first half jitters have been worked out.

unigriff
November 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Actually Rennie had three passes threw the air over 50 yards...1 INT on one of those...Lehighs Senior DBs are playing lights out. Rennie has been injured in every game this year...so no surpise he got injured again. UNIs speed should help them out in the 2nd half...also with homecrowd (i'd guess around 10-11k). If Lehigh was smart they would pass every down...UNI is traditionally horrible in the secondary cuz they play a cover 1/2 usually. Delaware will eat both these teams alive. If Lehigh has a flea flicker in the playbook...that never fails against UNI either...ask UNH, Delaware, Richmond, and South Dakota...they are pros at it against us.

UNI Pike
November 27th, 2010, 01:14 PM
50 yard throws from Rennie are not the winning formula. Need to get short passing game established

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Second half about to start! Cmon guys!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Lehigh gets a first down then fumbles it. Too many mistakes.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Play smart on the fg! If they only get 3 Lehigh should consider themselves very lucky.