PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Selections?

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2010, 09:06 AM
The NCAA looks like they threw the travel thing out of the window.

And they didn't do App any favors by podding them with Villanova.

FargoBison
November 21st, 2010, 09:07 AM
We got lucky backing in but I love NDSU draw.

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2010, 09:08 AM
I thought NDSU deserved a bid anyway.

SCSU is in!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM
Georgraphy means nothing.

phoenixphanatic21
November 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM
Glad to see Georgia Southern got in. Should be a good game against SCSU.

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2010, 09:10 AM
Not sure I agree with how they ranked the top five seeds. . .xoopsx

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2010, 09:10 AM
MVFC gets 3 teams

RMU at NDSU winner plays Montana St
WIU at Coastal winner plays App St
Lehigh at UNI winner plays Delaware

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2010, 09:11 AM
BCU got a second round game. Good thinking committee!

superman7515
November 21st, 2010, 09:12 AM
6-5 Coastal Carolina surprised me. Not saying they do or don't deserve it, just that I was surprised to see them in.

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 09:12 AM
Fine with Lehigh, glad to play a new team, pissed that we blew our bye yesterday.

JSUBison
November 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM
MVFC gets 3 teams

RMU at NDSU winner plays Montana St
WIU at Coastal winner plays App St
Lehigh at UNI winner plays Delaware

And if NDSU were to win, received the most favorable matchup.

phoenixphanatic21
6-5 Coastal Carolina surprised me. Not saying they do or don't deserve it, just that I was surprised to see them in.

They got the AQ. That's why they got in.

GaSouthern

autobid

WileECoyote06
Wow. . I wonder how much BCU bid? I'm actually shocked they got a home game without a seed.

Also notice all three MVFC teams are in the first round. xeyebrowx

BlueHenSinfonian

I agree. I was hoping for the #2 seed for us, but all things considered, #3 is fair.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2010, 09:14 AM
Wofford getting Jacksonville State wasn't too bad of a shaft

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM
Of the first round teams, GSU and UNI have the best chance to go the deepest into the playoffs.

phoenixphanatic21
November 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM
Wofford getting Jacksonville State wasn't too bad of a shaft

It'll be a hell of a game if nothing else.

LUHawker
November 21st, 2010, 09:16 AM

Totally agree. Apparently, the committee doesn't own a map. NDSU plays a Pa team in Robert Morris while Lehigh gets shipped to Iowa. Two plane rides instead of one.

UNIFanSince1983
November 21st, 2010, 09:17 AM
Of the first round teams, GSU and UNI have the best chance to go the deepest into the playoffs.

With our draw I don't think so. IF we get past Lehigh we have to go to Delaware. Not easy at all.

wofford92
November 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM
a shaft none the less..

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM
Totally agree. Apparently, the committee doesn't own a map. NDSU plays a Pa team in Robert Morris while Lehigh gets shipped to Iowa. Two plane rides instead of one.

Are the travel expenses part of the bidding process?

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2010, 09:19 AM

WIU going to Coastal while SCSU isn't even a two hour drive away.

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2010, 09:20 AM
With our draw I don't think so. IF we get past Lehigh we have to go to Delaware. Not easy at all.

Not easy, but they have a chance because they have a great QB that can be tough to stop on the ground and in the air.

FargoBison
November 21st, 2010, 09:20 AM

They must have really matched up the bottom eight, with three MVFC teams this is how it had to go down since they obviously can't play each other.

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2010, 09:21 AM
Are the travel expenses part of the bidding process?

I don't think so. . .but the NCAA pays for all travel expenses.

Another reason they went to pod seeding is to give fans of the visiting team a good opportunity to go to first and second round games.

inpsite1919
November 21st, 2010, 09:21 AM
They won the Big South

UncleSam
November 21st, 2010, 09:22 AM
ASU got a break being the #1 seed, but they also got very tough potential matchup with Villanova down the road.

TheValleyRaider
November 21st, 2010, 09:23 AM

Except NDSU and UNI can't meet because they're both in the MVFC. Just worked out that way, it looks like

DetroitFlyer
November 21st, 2010, 09:23 AM
Yep, PFL screwed again.

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2010, 09:24 AM
They must have really matched up the bottom eight, with three MVFC teams this is how it had to go down since they obviously can't play each other.

True, but at least one of those MVFC teams should have been in the second round.

PurpleOut
November 21st, 2010, 09:30 AM
SFA gets no seed, gets Nova, AND gets matched up with App State? Wow ok.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2010, 09:31 AM
Fine with Lehigh, glad to play a new team, pissed that we blew our bye yesterday.

see you in Newark again (if you can get by Lehigh)

Wildcat80
November 21st, 2010, 09:34 AM
UNH vs Bethune Cookman in sunny Florida!! Then hopefully we visit the beautiful state of delaware...since we missed out on playing the hens this year...after that whoever shows up is fine with us! Go Cats!!!

PantherRob82
see you in Newark again

I hope so. Scouting flights if our team can take care of Lehigh.

tandemlax
Agreed that SFA got the roughest path of any 2 loss team. I suppose you have to beat the best sooner or later to win a national championship- looks like sooner and later for the Jacks.

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 09:35 AM
UNH vs Bethune Cookman in sunny Florida!! Then hopefully we visit the beautiful state of delaware...since we missed out on playing the hens this year...after that whoever shows up is fine with us! Go Cats!!!

What if it's us and not Delaware? :p

tandemlax
November 21st, 2010, 09:37 AM
Really excited for the Tribe's home field advantage throughout. While this team hasn't exactly looked lost on the road, they've played at a different level in Williamsburg, winning their last 11 home games.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2010, 09:38 AM
Big Sky got the shaft in the seeding. Once again, they will force us to play in the quarters, ensuring only one BSC team reaches the semis.

Saint3333
November 21st, 2010, 09:38 AM
ASU got a break being the #1 seed, but they also got very tough potential matchup with Villanova down the road.

Likely facing a strong passing attack in WIU isn't a great match-up for ASU either.

Of the seeds I think UD got the easiest pod to get to the semifinals, ASU the hardest.

Best opening round game - SCST @ GSU

Best second round game - Nova @ SFA, 2nd to WC @ JSU

UNHFootballAlum
November 21st, 2010, 09:39 AM
Wow. . I wonder how much BCU bid? I'm actually shocked they got a home game without a seed.

Also notice all three MVFC teams are in the first round. xeyebrowx

No matter the bid, the committee never gives UNH a home game unless they are a seed

tandemlax
November 21st, 2010, 09:41 AM
I don't like that either. I was worried that W&M and Delaware would be staring at a 4/5 quarterfinal matchup, but the big sky seemes to have drawn the short straw. If MSU and EWU make it through their first round games, it should be a fantastic contest though.

Wildcat80
November 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM
That's fine with us...we'll see UDel next year...

Saint3333
November 21st, 2010, 09:43 AM
No matter the bid, the committee never gives UNH a home game unless they are a seed

Yeah I'm sure the committee gave the home game to the lower bid.

caribbeanhen
Big Sky got the shaft in the seeding. Once again, they will force us to play in the quarters, ensuring only one BSC team reaches the semis.

you want some respect? you know what you need to do.

Wildcat80
CAA 4 teams in---UNH, wm, del, nova. Would love to get to play Appy!!!

FargoBison
November 21st, 2010, 09:44 AM
Our AD said NDSU was the last team in and Liberty was the last team out.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 21st, 2010, 09:46 AM
In years past UNH has bid the minimum required. I'd bet that was the case again this year. What does BC draw?
Does anyone know that the minimum required bid was this year?

sav eagle34
November 21st, 2010, 09:46 AM
Really excited for the Tribe's home field advantage throughout. While this team hasn't exactly looked lost on the road, they've played at a different level in Williamsburg, winning their last 11 home games.

We certainly aren't talented enough to look by anyone & I expect a great game with sc st; but I'd wager your coaches will be happy to have a little extra time to prepare for the option. In the event we win, what will the ticket situation be like? Do you guys sell-out?

R.A.
November 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM
SC State's Malcolm Long... Last Chance to lead your team to a playoff victory.

Bethune- Cookman has two weeks to get MEAC Offensive Player of the Year QB Matt Johnson ready to play.

semoredhawk
November 21st, 2010, 09:48 AM
Welcome to playoff football SEMO. Good luck finding your way out to EW..lol

Really, do you have to travel 1,925 miles to play a first round game?

profisme
November 21st, 2010, 09:49 AM
I disagree with W&M getting a higher seed than MSU but looking at the other side of the bracket I am happier with this than if MSU got the #3. They got the seeding correct for MSU above EWU but that is pretty crappy pitting the only two Big Sky teams against each other potentially in the quarterfinals.

Oh well, here's to a fun next few weeks.

Nebuta
November 21st, 2010, 09:49 AM
I like the 2 seeds by the CAA. I really like Nova getting in App St bracket. Would like to see either UNH or UD in the 4th or 5 seed bracket, for the possibility of an all CAA semi-final. But beggers cant be chooses. Good luck Colonial.

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Did yall notice that the BCU - UNH game features the Wildcats vs the Wildcats?

They should have kept the theme going:

Ga. Southern vs Eastern Washington
Coastal Carolina vs Delaware (Chickens vs Chickens)

tandemlax
November 21st, 2010, 09:52 AM
I know we sold out for Villanova, Delaware and Richmond (possibly VMI-not sure). The URI game was over fall break and I think we drew 8k or so. I don't see any reason why a second round game with GSU or SCSU wouldn't sell out. Should be a great matchup either way.

WileECoyote06
I disagree with W&M getting a higher seed than MSU but looking at the other side of the bracket I am happier with this than if MSU got the #3. They got the seeding correct for MSU above EWU but that is pretty crappy pitting the only two Big Sky teams against each other potentially in the quarterfinals.

Oh well, here's to a fun next few weeks.

Agree totally. I figured they would split the high seeds.

1 App State
2 E Washington
3 William and Mary
4 Montana State
5 Delaware/Stephen F Austin

superman7515
In years past UNH has bid the minimum required. I'd bet that was the case again this year. What does BC draw?
Does anyone know that the minimum required bid was this year?

Bethune-Cookman averaged 7,319 and New Hampshire averaged 7,734. Not enough to make a difference, so with BC's better ranking and AQ plus a larger stadium in a warm weather area, it probably wouldn't have mattered what UNH bid, they weren't taking it from Bethune-Cookman.

charliej

LOL.. Easy to say when you know it's just not gonna happen. I'm not so happy about it ;)

Bison4Life
November 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
I'm just happy the MEAC finally has two teams in.

superman7515
November 21st, 2010, 09:54 AM
SC State's Malcolm Long... Last Chance to lead your team to a playoff victory.

Bethune- Cookman has two weeks to get MEAC Offensive Player of the Year QB Matt Johnson ready to play.

And already the thread begins accusing the NCAA of racism for sending SC State to play at Georgia Southern. xsmhx

tandemlax
November 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
I would have liked to see MSU at #3 and Delaware at #4 or #5, just to increase the liklihood of a few high level interconference matchups. I'd rather watch Delaware and EWU + W&M and MSU than a pair of conference rematches. But thats looking way too far ahead. Tough games up front for everyone.

Horseshoe App
November 21st, 2010, 09:57 AM
I like the 2 seeds by the CAA. I really like Nova getting in App St bracket. Would like to see either UNH or UD in the 4th or 5 seed bracket, for the possibility of an all CAA semi-final. But beggers cant be chooses. Good luck Colonial.

No bracket is easy when it gets to the playoffs. I don't really think one side is much worst than the other side. I like app's bracket because to beat us you have to come to Boone(I live 2 miles from the stadium). And I really don't mind having Villanova in our bracket. You have to remember, they have lost 4 games. They also have to beat SFA, which is no easy task.
One thing I really like is that Wofford and GSU are on the other side. If we play well and make it to the finals, there is a chance for a SoCon final. THat would be good:)

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2010, 09:57 AM
Did yall notice that the BCU - UNH game features the Wildcats vs the Wildcats?

They should have kept the theme going:

Ga. Southern vs Eastern Washington
Coastal Carolina vs Delaware (Chickens vs Chickens)

And the WIU Fighting Leathernecks would play who? The marines? ;)

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM
And the WIU Fighting Leathernecks would play who? The marines? ;)xlolx

tandemlax
November 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM
Well it appears that worked out for both of us, as I'd rather see Wofford or GSU (or SCSU) come to Williamsburg than host Nova for a rematch. I'm all for avoiding conference rematched as long as possible in the playoffs.

WestCoastAggie
November 21st, 2010, 10:03 AM
Thank god I am not a gambling man.

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM
And already the thread begins accusing the NCAA of racism for sending SC State to play at Georgia Southern. xsmhx

I dont see the racism in that post! I think he was clearly stating that SCSU and Long have been in the playoffs the last two years and left empty handed..

UNHFootballAlum
November 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah I'm sure the committee gave the home game to the lower bid.

First, it isn't just about the bid, but the the facilities too and secondly, i believe that committee pairs UNH up with a team that it is sure will out bid us

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2010, 10:12 AM

Im sure UD would love to pick their face back up from 07 and the rest... well the rest needs an Appstate whoopin also and a chance to visit "The Rock"! Im sure no other school tailgates like we do!

UNHFootballAlum
November 21st, 2010, 10:21 AM
Bethune-Cookman averaged 7,319 and New Hampshire averaged 7,734. Not enough to make a difference, so with BC's better ranking and AQ plus a larger stadium in a warm weather area, it probably wouldn't have mattered what UNH bid, they weren't taking it from Bethune-Cookman.

UNH is the higher ranked team with BC's loss and higher GPI in a better conference. It all came down to facilities

WestCoastAggie
November 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM
It's time for the MEAC & OVC to put up or shut up.

NDSUFREAK
November 21st, 2010, 10:32 AM
loving this right now!!

clawman
November 21st, 2010, 10:43 AM

Don't agree with from the BSC perspective. Do not feel MSU and EWU are #4 and #5. Probably should have been 2 & 3 or at min 3 & 4 but geography prevailed.

Saint3333
November 21st, 2010, 10:53 AM
First, it isn't just about the bid, but the the facilities too and secondly, i believe that committee pairs UNH up with a team that it is sure will out bid us

Yep everyone is against UNH, you've figured the committee out. BC's bid was more that is all the NC$$ cares about.

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
Best teams obviously are on the East coast and have been for sometime now.. I hate they had to go and change the venue on us like that thinking that teams other than the CAA or SOCON are going to be in the finals... I still will make the trip to Frisco, but I wouldnt count on any team West of the Mississippi being there.. Just my thoughts

superman7515
November 21st, 2010, 11:03 AM
I dont see the racism in that post! I think he was clearly stating that SCSU and Long have been in the playoffs the last two years and left empty handed..

It didn't have anything to do with his post, nor did I say it did. I said that the thread began which is accusing the NCAA of racism for sending SC Staet to play at GSU. From MEACFansZone.com... "Topic: Is it racism that SCSU has to travel to a 7-4 team (Read 111 times)"

WestCoastAggie
November 21st, 2010, 11:09 AM
It didn't have anything to do with his post, nor did I say it did. I said that the thread began which is accusing the NCAA of racism for sending SC Staet to play at GSU. From MEACFansZone.com... "Topic: Is it racism that SCSU has to travel to a 7-4 team (Read 111 times)"

No MEACFan poster who posted on that topic agrees with the OP.

superman7515
November 21st, 2010, 11:12 AM
Didn't say that they did. Just saying it's a shame that it would even be brought up. It's one thing to question it or dislike it, another to try to bring racism into why one at-large got a home game against another at-large.

TwoFeathers
November 21st, 2010, 11:17 AM

Agreed.

TwoFeathers
November 21st, 2010, 11:18 AM

Bethune's going to have their hands full...

superman7515
November 21st, 2010, 11:18 AM
William & Mary's first game has the potential to be harder than their second game.

TwoFeathers
November 21st, 2010, 11:24 AM

Just look at the last 2 games. Loss @JMU, then the dismantling of UofR at home.

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2010, 11:26 AM
Either way we know what it is!!! Go Apps!! I know we got all home games and I dare any of you to come to our house talking that crazy ish

TwoFeathers
November 21st, 2010, 11:29 AM
I know we sold out for Villanova, Delaware and Richmond (possibly VMI-not sure). The URI game was over fall break and I think we drew 8k or so. I don't see any reason why a second round game with GSU or SCSU wouldn't sell out. Should be a great matchup either way.

Villanova was #1, and it was Family Weekend. Delaware was #2, and it was Homecoming. And Richmond was the Capital Cup, and they are just 1 hour to the West. I was at the Weber State game last year at home, and it didn't look like a sell-out to me.

Mattymc727
November 21st, 2010, 11:30 AM
Bethune's going to have their hands full...

Do you know anything about Bethune? I know nothing.....looking at their schedule I say we have a pretty good shot at the Win, more insight would be great

TwoFeathers
November 21st, 2010, 11:31 AM
Agree totally. I figured they would split the high seeds.

1 App State
2 E Washington
3 William and Mary
4 Montana State
5 Delaware/Stephen F Austin

They must have factored in the results of the Richmond game with a whole lot on the line for both teams, and W&M delivered a huge 41-3 win against their biggest rival with 600+ yards of total offense, vs. ~250 or so for Richmond. It was an epic beat-down in a must-win situation.

TheRevSFA
November 21st, 2010, 11:33 AM

Man..not giving SFA any love to go to Appy...

superman7515
November 21st, 2010, 11:33 AM
Was Richmond still playing with their punter at QB? I know they had a lot of injury issues during the season.

TwoFeathers
November 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM
William & Mary's first game has the potential to be harder than their second game.

Not sure about that...

TwoFeathers
November 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM
Was Richmond still playing with their punter at QB? I know they had a lot of injury issues during the season.

Laub was in there, and he hurt his ankle pretty bad in the 2nd. And they left him in the game. Goes to show they didn't have any other option available.

soccerguy315
November 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM
Like some of you, I figured that UD and W&M would be on opposite sides of the bracket, with each side of the bracket having one of EWU/MSU. Surprised they didn't do it that way.

Villanova was #1, and it was Family Weekend. Delaware was #2, and it was Homecoming. And Richmond was the Capital Cup, and they are just 1 hour to the West. I was at the Weber State game last year at home, and it didn't look like a sell-out to me.

Last year, the first game @W&M was over thanksgiving. A lot harder to fill the stands on thanksgiving weekend. That is not an issue unique to W&M.

TwoFeathers
November 21st, 2010, 11:48 AM
Like some of you, I figured that UD and W&M would be on opposite sides of the bracket, with each side of the bracket having one of EWU/MSU. Surprised they didn't do it that way.

Last year, the first game @W&M was over thanksgiving. A lot harder to fill the stands on thanksgiving weekend. That is not an issue unique to W&M.

That explains it.

NovaHater
November 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM

Glad you're looking at Nova as a win, you'll get all the love you want when you play them :)

No matter who wins, I'd rather play the #1 with the chance of the upset than playing a Wofford or New Hampshire.

If you want to get to Frisco you have to beat the best, there's nothing to lose

ngineer
November 21st, 2010, 11:57 AM

Obviously the old policy of keeping costs down and not making the students have to travel so far is gone, which I thought was one of the original criteria in establishing the brackets. Maybe with the expansion to 20, that philosophy went out the window.

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2010, 12:06 PM
Georgia Southern is only 90-something miles from Orangeburg. I think that was the first matchup chosen, and then the inclusion of three MVFC teams in the bottom 8 hurt too as they could not be matched against each other.

clawman
November 21st, 2010, 12:09 PM

We all know THE WEST IS BEST but not when it comes to NCAA playoff scheduling. I agree the BSC and the Eagles got screwed, but nothing to do now but make the best of it!!

wmmii
November 21st, 2010, 12:20 PM
No bracket is easy when it gets to the playoffs. I don't really think one side is much worst than the other side. I like app's bracket because to beat us you have to come to Boone(I live 2 miles from the stadium). And I really don't mind having Villanova in our bracket. You have to remember, they have lost 4 games. They also have to beat SFA, which is no easy task.
One thing I really like is that Wofford and GSU are on the other side. If we play well and make it to the finals, there is a chance for a SoCon final. THat would be good:)

'Nova plays with alot more emotion now their star Szczur is back, they are dangerous

ATX_EWUGrad
November 21st, 2010, 12:20 PM
I'm thinking the top 5 were seeded they way they were so more as a way to award Delaware rather than to screw them over and to a lesser extent to screw EWU over in a potential QF match up having to make a cross country trip to Delaware. And here is my thought process behind that.

I'm pretty sure the committee's first order of business was to determine the top 5 teams and then figure out how to seed them from there. They did get the top 5 teams right, but the order is surely to be debated. App St. was a lock for #1 as you weren't going to punish them for yesterday's loss to Florida. Their heavy lifting was done prior to yesterday's game with the Gators. #2 had to go to W&M for winning the CAA. As much as one might hate it, you have to "reward" someone for winning their conference and the best way to reward them is give them a home game in the semi finals if the seeding holds true. So that leaves MSU, EWU, and Delaware in no particular order for 3, 4, and 5.

So with that line of thinking, MSU I would presume "initially" got the #3 seed with I'm guessing Delaware at #4 and EWU at #5, because the committee has a higher regard for the CAA over the BSC. But then you're facing a situation where you really are screwing over Delaware and EWU. Delaware, a team that was #1 in the rankings the day before and lost to a team (Villanova) in OT that was basically playing a playoff game as it was. A Villanova lost yesterday and I think we can more or less agree they are on the outside looking in today. Then you have EWU winners of 7 straight and the new #1 team in the rankings at the end of the regular season. So how do we as a "committee" do the lease amount of pain to Delaware and EWU? The only thing they can do is to rank the top 5 exactly they way they did.

To me, 3-5 are interchangeable as only 1 and 2 are hosting semi-final games anyways. Also keeping in mind that your only options for 3-5 are 3. MSU, 4. Delaware, and 5. EWU OR 3. MSU, 4. EWU, and 5. Delaware, if you want to reward the AQ schools that are among the top 5. But then you're in screw job mode to EWU and Delaware if you go down this route. The only "fix" was to flip-flop 3 and 4. If Delaware remained in the 4 slot, you're screwing EWU by a cross country trip in a QF match-up. You can't objectively move EWU to #3 because that isn't fair to MSU who won the BSC tie-breaker based on head to head. If Delaware was 5 and EWU was 4, then you're screwing over Delaware with a cross country trip for a QF match-up. Flip-flopping 3 and 4, while pitting 2 BSC schools together in a QF match up is the lesser of two evils. And this scenario only hurts MSU in that they lose the choice of jersey colors if they play Delaware in the final, as the game is played in Frisco regardless so there's no real "home field" advantage by flipping 3 and 4. EWU's screw job is minimized by the short trip to Bozeman, MT in a QF, and that's the price one must pay for losing to that team head up. Hypothetically, they'd be going on the road to App St. with a win there anyways so does it really matter?

Thought's on how the Top 5 should have been ranked differently only with these 5 teams under consideration?

wmmii
November 21st, 2010, 12:23 PM
It's time for the MEAC & OVC to put up or shut up.

Agreed

TheRevSFA
November 21st, 2010, 12:24 PM
I'm thinking the top 5 were seeded they way they were so more as a way to award Delaware rather than to screw them over and to a lesser extent to screw EWU over in a potential QF match up having to make a cross country trip to Delaware. And here is my thought process behind that.

I'm pretty sure the committee's first order of business was to determine the top 5 teams and then figure out how to seed them from there. They did get the top 5 teams right, but the order is surely to be debated. App St. was a lock for #1 as you weren't going to punish them for yesterday's loss to Florida. Their heavy lifting was done prior to yesterday's game with the Gators. #2 had to go to W&M for winning the CAA. As much as one might hate it, you have to "reward" someone for winning their conference and the best way to reward them is give them a home game in the semi finals if the seeding holds true. So that leaves MSU, EWU, and Delaware in no particular order for 3, 4, and 5.

So with that line of thinking, MSU I would presume "initially" got the #3 seed with I'm guessing Delaware at #4 and EWU at #5, because the committee has a higher regard for the CAA over the BSC. But then you're facing a situation where you really are screwing over Delaware and EWU. Delaware, a team that was #1 in the rankings the day before and lost to a team (Villanova) in OT that was basically playing a playoff game as it was. A Villanova lost yesterday and I think we can more or less agree they are on the outside looking in today. Then you have EWU winners of 7 straight and the new #1 team in the rankings at the end of the regular season. So how do we as a "committee" do the lease amount of pain to Delaware and EWU? The only thing they can do is to rank the top 5 exactly they way they did.

To me, 3-5 are interchangeable as only 1 and 2 are hosting semi-final games anyways. Also keeping in mind that your only options for 3-5 are 3. MSU, 4. Delaware, and 5. EWU OR 3. MSU, 4. EWU, and 5. Delaware, if you want to reward the AQ schools that are among the top 5. But then you're in screw job mode to EWU and Delaware if you go down this route. The only "fix" was to flip-flop 3 and 4. If Delaware remained in the 4 slot, you're screwing EWU by a cross country trip in a QF match-up. You can't objectively move EWU to #3 because that isn't fair to MSU who won the BSC tie-breaker based on head to head. If Delaware was 5 and EWU was 4, then you're screwing over Delaware with a cross country trip for a QF match-up. Flip-flopping 3 and 4, while pitting 2 BSC schools together in a QF match up is the lesser of two evils. And this scenario only hurts MSU in that they lose the choice of jersey colors if they play Delaware in the final, as the game is played in Frisco regardless so there's no real "home field" advantage by flipping 3 and 4. EWU's screw job is minimized by the short trip to Bozeman, MT in a QF, and that's the price one must pay for losing to that team head up. Hypothetically, they'd be going on the road to App St. with a win there anyways so does it really matter?

Thought's on how the Top 5 should have been ranked differently only with these 5 teams under consideration?

SFA ranked 3 in the polls..but 8th in playoff seeding...explanations?

wmmii
November 21st, 2010, 12:28 PM

Both the first and second round has an interesting match up with the potential of GS and then Wofford. The D has consistently stopped the running game of ranked teams this year holding all 4 to less than 100 yards each. This will be a great test.

We are just glad to be at home for as long as we can win until the hopefully the finals!

ATX_EWUGrad
November 21st, 2010, 12:35 PM

And EWU ranked 1st in the polls and 5th in the seedings? You can only seed 5. While you have an argument for SFA to be in the Top 5, who are you going to pull out of the Top 5 to let SFA in? By your logic if you pull out EWU to put in SFA then how fair is that as EWU is ranked higher? And if you pull out MSU to put in SFA, then how fair is that to them that MSU is on the outside of the Top 5 looking in when EWU is there but aren't the BSC qualifier and lost to MSU head up. EWU has to pay for that with a QF trip to Boseman. What would your Top 5 be?

SpeedkingATL
November 21st, 2010, 12:39 PM
I think the committee did a pretty good job this year. Glad that App got the #1 seeding as the teams that were seeded could have been numbered just about anywhere. ASU is a much better team at The Rock so glad to see us stay at home if we manage to keep winning. Don't care who we play as long as we keep playing. If we get to the 3rd round either SFA or Nova would be a great game for everyone.

lehidude
November 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM
I think the committee did a pretty bad job this year. There's no excuse for MEAC getting a first round bye, and including 3 MVFC teams. They screwed Lehigh AND the entire Pioneer League.

MacThor
November 21st, 2010, 02:41 PM
WIU going to Coastal while SCSU isn't even a two hour drive away.

Maybe they didn't want the two lowest-ranked teams in the playoffs playing in the first round.

Keenan
November 21st, 2010, 02:51 PM
I'm just happy the MEAC finally has two teams in.

Yeah, because the strength of your conference really deserves it.xrolleyesx

TheRevSFA
November 21st, 2010, 02:59 PM
And EWU ranked 1st in the polls and 5th in the seedings? You can only seed 5. While you have an argument for SFA to be in the Top 5, who are you going to pull out of the Top 5 to let SFA in? By your logic if you pull out EWU to put in SFA then how fair is that as EWU is ranked higher? And if you pull out MSU to put in SFA, then how fair is that to them that MSU is on the outside of the Top 5 looking in when EWU is there but aren't the BSC qualifier and lost to MSU head up. EWU has to pay for that with a QF trip to Boseman. What would your Top 5 be?

I can't even argue back....point taken.

MacThor
November 21st, 2010, 03:03 PM
Othern than SC State getting in, the field looks right to me.

Da Coach
November 21st, 2010, 03:05 PM

Beware the Leathernecks!

bigchocolate
November 21st, 2010, 03:20 PM
Didn't say that they did. Just saying it's a shame that it would even be brought up. It's one thing to question it or dislike it, another to try to bring racism into why one at-large got a home game against another at-large.

I read the post you're referring to but it was shutdown and the original poster corrected immediately by the members.xsmileyclapx You brought that trash to AGS...no one but you.xnonox. Its playoffs lets get it on!

inpsite1919
November 21st, 2010, 03:22 PM
lol thanks

WestCoastAggie
November 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
Yeah, because the strength of your conference really deserves it.xrolleyesx

Somebody is jealous.

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2010, 04:01 PM
Othern than SC State getting in, the field looks right to me.

I fully agree!

Klandbulldog
November 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM
I fully agree!

Let me guess, you two think CC or Liberty should've got in over SCSU?

WestCoastAggie
November 21st, 2010, 04:28 PM

xnodx

xlolx

#kanyeshrug

appstate38
November 21st, 2010, 04:42 PM
I don't care if we have a potential matchup with Nova..... They have to come to us.... Home field advantage will be huge.

flyenhigh
November 21st, 2010, 04:56 PM
What happen to the PFL?

Keenan
November 21st, 2010, 05:07 PM
Somebody is jealous.

I know you MEAC guys would love to believe that SCST's quality wins over Miss.Valley St.,Benedict,Norfolk St.,Del.St,Morgan St. and NC A&T are what got SCST in. The truth of the matter is that the NCAA gave the MEAC two bids to keep them interested in staying in the Playoff system and not leaving for a Bowl system. Now, when the MEAC heads get together they can now say "look, we got two bids last year! Let's stay in the Playoffs!". Give me a break! It's always about politics and $$$.

B&G
November 21st, 2010, 05:18 PM
Perhaps they couldn't justify giving two bids to the Big South since this is their first season with an AQ. Coastal Carolina got Liberty's spot.

Cincy App
November 21st, 2010, 05:22 PM
The truth of the matter is that the NCAA gave the MEAC two bids to keep them interested in staying in the Playoff system and not leaving for a Bowl system. Now, when the MEAC heads get together they can now say "look, we got two bids last year! Let's stay in the Playoffs!". Give me a break! It's always about politics and $$$.

I agree that it is all about politics and $$$. Just like most everything else in life. IMO though, only 18 teams had playoff resumes. SC State and ND State did not but still made the expanded field. Regardless, the Big South is a weak conference as well. Liberty controlled its destiny but blew it against Coastal last weekend. No sense blaming that on the Selection Committee.

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2010, 05:25 PM

I'll let the resume speak for themselves, but I think a few teams (including Montana, Liberty or CCSU) were more deserving than SCSU.

SC State (9-2, 7-1 MEAC) Sargin #205
--
Montana (7-4, 5-3 Big Sky) Sargin #121
Cal Poly (7-4, 2-2 Great West) Sargin #142
Liberty (8-3, 5-1 Big South) Sargin #155
CCSU (8-3, 7-1 NEC) Sargin #165

Eagle22
November 21st, 2010, 05:26 PM
I know you MEAC guys would love to believe that SCST's quality wins over Miss.Valley St.,Benedict,Norfolk St.,Del.St,Morgan St. and NC A&T are what got SCST in. The truth of the matter is that the NCAA gave the MEAC two bids to keep them interested in staying in the Playoff system and not leaving for a Bowl system. Now, when the MEAC heads get together they can now say "look, we got two bids last year! Let's stay in the Playoffs!". Give me a break! It's always about politics and $$$.

Could work the other way IF both MEAC teams lose in the opening round to 7-4 squads from the 'power conferences'.

They might say "Ditch the playoffs", especially given the MEAC's historical playoff prowess for all teams not named FAMU.

LouiseBFree
November 21st, 2010, 05:27 PM
SARGIN?!?!?!?!xconfusedx

I'll let the resume speak for themselves, but I think a few teams (including Montana, Liberty or CCSU) were more deserving than SCSU.

SC State (9-2, 7-1 MEAC) Sargin #205
--
Montana (7-4, 5-3 Big Sky) Sargin #121
Cal Poly (7-4, 2-2 Great West) Sargin #142
Liberty (8-3, 5-1 Big South) Sargin #155
CCSU (8-3, 7-1 NEC) Sargin #165

Keenan
November 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Could work the other way IF both MEAC teams lose in the opening round to 7-4 squads from the 'power conferences'.

Which WILL happen

UNH Fanboi
November 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM
I agree that it is all about politics and $$$. Just like most everything else in life. IMO though, only 18 teams had playoff resumes. SC State and ND State did not but still made the expanded field. Regardless, the Big South is a weak conference as well. Liberty controlled its destiny but blew it against Coastal last weekend. No sense blaming that on the Selection Committee.

If CCU and Stony Brook had done better OOC, Liberty might have been able to sneak in at 8-3. The fact that the Big South's champ lost to Towson makes the conference as a whole look weak.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 21st, 2010, 05:34 PM
Which WILL happen

Seconded. Though I would have rather seen Jacksonville in over CCSU or Liberty.

WestCoastAggie
November 21st, 2010, 05:37 PM
Man I hope both teams from the MEAC and OVC win games in the playoffs. This way, all of this disrespect nonsense can end.

Nebuta
November 21st, 2010, 05:37 PM
No bracket is easy when it gets to the playoffs. I don't really think one side is much worst than the other side. I like app's bracket because to beat us you have to come to Boone(I live 2 miles from the stadium). And I really don't mind having Villanova in our bracket. You have to remember, they have lost 4 games. They also have to beat SFA, which is no easy task.One thing I really like is that Wofford and GSU are on the other side. If we play well and make it to the finals, there is a chance for a SoCon final. THat would be good:)

You right. And App has to get through the winner of CCU and WIU. No easy task either. Nothing is given in the playoffs. One stinker and youre out.

Keenan
November 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM
Seconded. Though I would have rather seen Jacksonville in over CCSU or Liberty.

Would not have had a complaint if Jacksonville got the bid. At least they beat somebody! Their win at Old Dominion is a better win than anything SC State has on their resume.

WestCoastAggie
November 21st, 2010, 05:41 PM
Well it is what it is. SC State is in the playoffs and the game with Georgia Southern will be a good game.

proasu89
November 21st, 2010, 05:48 PM
Well it is what it is. SC State is in the playoffs and the game with Georgia Southern will be a good game.

It will.

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM
I think the committee did a pretty bad job this year. There's no excuse for MEAC getting a first round bye, and including 3 MVFC teams. They screwed Lehigh AND the entire Pioneer League.

I agree that Lehigh was screwed. UNI should have never been dropped into the opening round; forcing several swaps. Even more of a screw-job is CCU getting to host a playoff game while Lehigh has to go on the road. . .

As far as the MEAC champ getting into the second round; I asked that question this morning. I am sure that the committee noted that had BCU not lost their starting quarterback, they would have simply outscored FAMU. The score was 27 - 14 at the half and BCU had scored 21 straight points. BCU was already considered a second rounder, and so they didn't take that away based on an injury.

I compare it to them placing Villanova in the second round; I'm sure they considered their loss of Sczur as devastating to their regular season. Now that he's back they are much more dangerous. Or their courtesy for Delaware; which had an outstanding season and lost its last regular season game, yet still retained a top 3 seed. Whether you agree with their decision or not, the committee was consistent.

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2010, 06:23 PM
If CCU and Stony Brook had done better OOC, Liberty might have been able to sneak in at 8-3. The fact that the Big South's champ lost to Towson makes the conference as a whole look weak.

True, but the MEAC's best non-conf win were over the likes of Savannah State tell you how weak the MEAC is.

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2010, 06:24 PM
Man I hope both teams from the MEAC and OVC win games in the playoffs. This way, all of this disrespect nonsense can end.

One would hope, but I'm sure that the excuses are already in hand and waiting...xnonono2x

They weren't that good anyway

They were looking past them

We should of been in because we would of handled (insert team here)

So, you still have only one win in ten years

An OVC or MEAC team would have to win the title for it to end, AND EVEN THEN, that school would have an IMMEDIATE invite to join one of the upper echelon conferences.

Well it is what it is.

Exactly...

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2010, 06:32 PM
True, but the MEAC's best non-conf win were over the likes of Savannah State tell you how weak the MEAC is.

A win shows how weak a conference is? xviolinx xeyebrowx xlolx

This makes a lot more sense if you say that a loss by their conference co-champ to Tennessee State shows how weak the conference is. But you didn't pull that one, I did, so you can't use it. xlolx And that co-champ, was the one left out of the playoffs. xbeerchugx

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2010, 06:36 PM
SARGIN?!?!?!?!xconfusedx

Yep, Sagarin! http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc10.htm

SCSU and the MEAC don't fair any better using the any computer ranking.

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

BlueHenSinfonian
November 21st, 2010, 06:42 PM
One would hope, but I'm sure that the excuses are already in hand and waiting...xnonono2x

Respect isn't earned overnight. If the MEAC gets some playoff wins this year, it will be a good first step. If they repeat with more wins next year, more people will start to notice. If they can keep the trend going for several years, people will start giving the conference some respect.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2010, 06:45 PM

just wait til Saturday and you'll get your explanation

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2010, 06:46 PM

JMU or Rhode Island favored over SCST

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Give me a break! It's always about politics and $$$.

is there a what if bracket somewhere that only uses the final GPI (once it comes out) that would be interesting to see and I dont think $$$ and politics are part of the equation but i could be mistaken

NC Aggie
November 21st, 2010, 06:54 PM
They got the AQ. That's why they got in.

There are many teams that will be sitting at home that are more deserving. The league that they are in is pretty bad.

Keenan
November 21st, 2010, 07:00 PM
is there a what if bracket somewhere that only uses the final GPI (once it comes out) that would be interesting to see and I dont think $$$ and politics are part of the equation but i could be mistaken

The Selection Committee Chairman admitted they didn't use the GPI or any polls when selecting or seeding teams for the tournament.

MacThor
November 21st, 2010, 07:10 PM

An OVC or MEAC team would have to win the title for it to end, AND EVEN THEN, that school would have an IMMEDIATE invite to join one of the upper echelon conferences.

Lame and untrue. Prove something in the playoffs and it will be recognized.

A more likely scenario is that a MEAC supporter will claim "see...Bethune Cookman made it to the second round...so the MEAC has proved their playoff mettle."

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2010, 07:11 PM

A more likely scenario is that a MEAC supporter will claim "see...Bethune Cookman made it to the second round...so the MEAC has proved their playoff mettle."

one of the MEAC fans already did

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2010, 07:18 PM

I'm referring to those who are constantly and blatantly disrespectful of the MEAC. Should SC State win this weekend (and/or BCU next weekend) and they'll let themselves be known. xnodx

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2010, 07:19 PM
one of the MEAC fans already did

xlolx BCU is already in the second round

lehidude
November 21st, 2010, 07:19 PM

Disrespect? If anyone was disrespected, it was the Pioneer Football League.

Hopefully, the MEAC gets SHELLED. Then we'll NEVER have to hear about how good of a game SCSU gave ASU last year. Incidentally, since we're considering past year's success in gauging a team's ability, how come B-C's loss to Division II Shaw University last year carries no weight?

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2010, 07:37 PM
xlolx BCU is already in the second round

ya see

NovaHater
November 21st, 2010, 07:42 PM
I don't care if we have a potential matchup with Nova..... They have to come to us.... Home field advantage will be huge.

I think I've heard that before :D

As a matter of fact I heard it Sat. UD's 22,000 plus doesn't compare to App St's 28,000, but just what is so special about App St's additional 6000 that gives them such a HUGE advantage.

Do you actually think noise in an outdoor stadium is huge ?
Have to disagree with you if that's the case, I think it works the opp, not that Nova wouldn't be pumped anyway, the crowd just helps the Wildcats IMO

But first things first, we have a game to win in TX

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2010, 07:52 PM
ya see

has nothing to do with PLAYOFF prowess, and I wasn't the one who said that it did xcoffeex

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2010, 07:57 PM
Disrespect? If anyone was disrespected, it was the Pioneer Football League.

Hopefully, the MEAC gets SHELLED. Then we'll NEVER have to hear about how good of a game SCSU gave ASU last year. Incidentally, since we're considering past year's success in gauging a team's ability, how come B-C's loss to Division II Shaw University last year carries no weight?

How about a "moral victories" don't count for nothing rule? I would support it. We'll stop using it if you guys will as well. I never want to hear it used by any fans of the NEC, OVC, PL, or Big South teams in the playoffs ever again xlolx

wmmii
November 21st, 2010, 08:08 PM
I think I've heard that before :D

As a matter of fact I heard it Sat. UD's 22,000 plus doesn't compare to App St's 28,000, but just what is so special about App St's additional 6000 that gives them such a HUGE advantage.

Do you actually think noise in an outdoor stadium is huge ?
Have to disagree with you if that's the case, I think it works the opp, not that Nova wouldn't be pumped anyway, the crowd just helps the Wildcats IMO

But first things first, we have a game to win in TX

Good luck 'Nova your fellow CAA teams will root for you!

BlueHenSinfonian
November 21st, 2010, 08:14 PM

I'll be rooting for Nova against SFA and Appy, but only because I want us to have another shot at them this year in Frisco.

wmmii
November 21st, 2010, 08:19 PM
I'll be rooting for Nova against SFA and Appy, but only because I want us to have another shot at them this year in Frisco.

Think that UNH will play you all tough but if you get thru them then the TRIBE is waiting for your visit-probably under the lights!

BlueHenSinfonian
November 21st, 2010, 08:32 PM
Think that UNH will play you all tough but if you get thru them then the TRIBE is waiting for your visit-probably under the lights!

I'm not discounting either game. UD has one of the roughest potential roads to the NC game, having to go through both UNH and W&M to get there.

bullseye44
November 21st, 2010, 08:42 PM
I'm not discounting either game. UD has one of the roughest potential roads to the NC game, having to go through both UNH and W&M to get there.

Hoping we both survive to see you guys for a return trip to the 'burg. And then...hoping we get a 2nd home win over you like Nova did to us in the semis last year.

GannonFan
November 21st, 2010, 08:46 PM

Nah, I'm anti-nova all the time. Go 'Jacks!!!

wmmii
November 21st, 2010, 08:46 PM

W&M has the potential of facing both GS and Woff if those teams win out, both will give our D a test

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM

Go Jacks, means there will be a new champ.

TC CAT
November 21st, 2010, 09:09 PM
xlolx It is what it is ....some deserving teams will always be left out.

NovaHater
November 21st, 2010, 09:45 PM

Yeah, I know you are, I remember last year how you said Nova wouldn't win in the playoffs. You were against the Cats all the way. How did that work out for you ?

Go ahead and be a hater. Most CAA fans stick together, even UD's, you're the only Hen fan on here that I see constantly take shots at Villanova and JMU

GannonFan
November 21st, 2010, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I know you are, I remember last year how you said Nova wouldn't win in the playoffs. You were against the Cats all the way. How did that work out for you ?

Go ahead and be a hater.

I know you don't want to play Nova again

Aww, did I hurt your feelings??? Poor dude.

NovaHater
November 21st, 2010, 09:53 PM
Aww, did I hurt your feelings??? Poor dude.

No way, with 5 wins in a row over you guys, I LOVE the Hens.

GannonFan
November 21st, 2010, 09:59 PM
No way, with 5 wins in a row over you guys, I LOVE the Hens.

I'm not worried - you're a classic frontrunner - the second nova loses and you won't be heard from again. Have you even been to a football game or do you just read about them? I'm sure you were thrilled reading the box score from yesterday.

VUCats02
November 21st, 2010, 10:13 PM
I was at the Nova UD game yesterday and had the time of my life seeing 20000 fans in blue and yellow become absolutely silenced and stunned. I had the time of my life hearing all the Delaware fans complaining about how much they hate Nova. Nonetheless, I will be rooting for all CAA teams in the playoffs - including you Delaware. However, if we see a UNH UD third round matchup, I will definitely be pullin for the cats ;-)

GannonFan
November 21st, 2010, 10:20 PM
I was at the Nova UD game yesterday and had the time of my life seeing 20000 fans in blue and yellow become absolutely silenced and stunned. I had the time of my life hearing all the Delaware fans complaining about how much they hate Nova. Nonetheless, I will be rooting for all CAA teams in the playoffs - including you Delaware. However, if we see a UNH UD third round matchup, I will definitely be pullin for the cats ;-)

And we'll all be thrilled when all 3 of you guys suddenly forget about football the moment nova loses this year. It's like b-ball, you guys don't show up when Lappas was coaching and you could walk up gameday and get tickets at the Pavillion, but then you all of a sudden show up and say you've always been there when Wright has them winning.

NovaHater
November 21st, 2010, 10:20 PM
I'm not worried - you're a classic frontrunner - the second nova loses and you won't be heard from again. Have you even been to a football game or do you just read about them? I'm sure you were thrilled reading the box score from yesterday.

Ooh, Smack Smack

This isn't the Smack Forum, but if you want to take it there

Talk about having your feelings hurt, that 5 in a row really got to you huh ?
How does it feel to know the only PA teams you can beat are West Chester and Duquense

By the way, I was there Sat, want me to tell you under which Lid YouDee was under ?

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

You started the smack, don't go there or you'll need to get on your knees like Keeler did to Andy

Who's Your Daddy KC

Andy is xbowx

GannonFan
November 21st, 2010, 10:24 PM
Ooh, Smack Smack

This isn't the Smack Forum, but if you want to take it there

Talk about having your feelings hurt, that 5 in a row really got to you huh ?
How does it feel to know the only PA teams you can beat are West Chester and Duquense

By the way, I was there Sat, want me to tell you under which Lid YouDee was under ?

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

You started the smack, don't go there or you'll need to get on your knees like Keeler did to Andy

Who's Your Daddy KC

Andy is xbowx

Come on pretty boy, I'm pretty sure you're the one who started calling someone a hater. I hurt your feelings because I won't be rooting for nova and your little panties all got in a bunch. You'll need to grow thicker skin when you start playing home games in the hood in Chester. Oh yeah, I forgot, you don't follow teams who don't win. Nevermind.

RabidRabbit
November 21st, 2010, 10:48 PM
Gannon/NovaHater -<s> xnodxxnodx Because Hens and Wildcats won't make it past the MVFC teams (or Southland either) :p

No squaring off here. This make good SMACK fodder though!

The Gadfly
November 22nd, 2010, 01:03 AM
xeekx YAAAAAWN!!! . . . huh? . . . COASTAL'S BACK IN THE PLAYOFFS xchinscratchx How the heck did that happen??? Oh well . . .

Sorry it's been a while, but I've been in grad school and now I'm back. So we snuck in there huh . . . niiice. Looks like y'all have decided to go ahead and look over the Thunderin' Beach Chickens in the 1st round. Heck, I don't blame ya . . . but there are some things that really helps a team in the playoffs: momentum, lack of respect from the other teams, and a healthy squad. Our last games have shown me that the Coastal squad has awakened from whatever funk they were in by beating Liberty pretty bad and taking Charleston Southern to woodshed 70-3, something Hawaii (66-7) nor Kentucky (49-21) could do this season.

Just remember this, it's the playoffs and anything can happen.

CopperCat
November 22nd, 2010, 01:20 AM
you want some respect? you know what you need to do.

Be in the CAA?

JSU02
November 22nd, 2010, 06:28 AM
Anybody find out what they bid yet? The Anniston Star is reporting JSU bid $70,000.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2010, 06:52 AM
Be in the CAA?

Well that would help, but I was thinking just win a playoff game or two

appfan2008
November 22nd, 2010, 06:54 AM
I like whoever our first round game will be with but that second opponent scares me with either one...

SC-T-Dogg
November 22nd, 2010, 07:24 AM
xeekx YAAAAAWN!!! . . . huh? . . . COASTAL'S BACK IN THE PLAYOFFS xchinscratchx How the heck did that happen??? Oh well . . .

Sorry it's been a while, but I've been in grad school and now I'm back. So we snuck in there huh . . . niiice. Looks like y'all have decided to go ahead and look over the Thunderin' Beach Chickens in the 1st round. Heck, I don't blame ya . . . but there are some things that really helps a team in the playoffs: momentum, lack of respect from the other teams, and a healthy squad. Our last games have shown me that the Coastal squad has awakened from whatever funk they were in by beating Liberty pretty bad and taking Charleston Southern to woodshed 70-3, something Hawaii (66-7) nor Kentucky (49-21) could do this season.

Just remember this, it's the playoffs and anything can happen.

Still can not believe you guys shelled Charleston like that. To be honest I thought Coastal was garbage during much of this year. BUT, you are right!! They have great momentum and are healthy. Hope you guys don't waste this chance. Its not often that 6-5 will get you: 1) in the tourney and 2) a home game!

MacThor
November 22nd, 2010, 08:46 AM
Still can not believe you guys shelled Charleston like that. To be honest I thought Coastal was garbage during much of this year. BUT, you are right!! They have great momentum and are healthy. Hope you guys don't waste this chance. Its not often that 6-5 will get you: 1) in the tourney and 2) a home game!

Coastal's got some talent. I said after our victory over them that was the "closest 41-19 game ever." They had first and goal, down 8, in the fourth quarter before the interceptions started piling up. Coach Scott made some questionable decisions, easing up with a 20-0 first half lead, but they outworked us in the middle of the game.

I'm curious why their coach requires a two police officer escort?

Edge316007
November 22nd, 2010, 08:51 AM
Lol at all this CAA conference loyalty. I hope Wofford/GSU go down and go down hard.

WileECoyote06
November 22nd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Lol at all this CAA conference loyalty. I hope Wofford/GSU go down and go down hard.

lol. .SEC Jr.

GSUhooligan
November 22nd, 2010, 10:24 AM

Seriously. I'm going to be the biggest Gamecock and Leatherneck/Beach Chicken fan in the country next week!

GSUhooligan
November 22nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
As far as the selections, I think they did a pretty good job. I could see an argument for a UNI 1st round bye with UNH playing one of the PA schools instead, but overall it makes sense.

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
As far as the selections, I think they did a pretty good job. I could see an argument for a UNI 1st round bye with UNH playing one of the PA schools instead, but overall it makes sense.

Both the human and computer polls have UNH way ahead of UNI. The fact that UNI was losing 30-0 at one point to WIU doesn't help their case for a bye either.

GSUhooligan
November 22nd, 2010, 10:39 AM
Both the human and computer polls have UNH way ahead of UNI. The fact that UNI was losing 30-0 at one point to WIU doesn't help their case for a bye either.

Not surprising that a poster named UNH Fanboi would take exception with my post xlolx

Like I said, I think the committee did a good job, but wouldn't have been surprised if they rewarded a power conference champion with a first round bye and made UNH ( with a bad loss to Maine and a not-as-bad-as-originally-thought loss to Rhody) play in the 1st round.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 22nd, 2010, 10:55 AM

It's nothing to do with "conference loyalty" or pride or anything like that. It has to do with hoping for an outcome that is best for your school.

Even though the non-App. State SoCon teams have played some good teams in the playoffs very close lately we have still a pretty poor W/L record overall. If you think that doesn't affect App. State if it goes on for too long then you are mistaken.

The SoCon's performance OOC and recent history was a determining factor in you guys getting the number 1 seed. You didn't get all of it simply on your own merit and recent history alone. You guys got the number 1 seed despite a loss to GSU and nailbiters against UTC and Elon because of how the committee views the SoCon. It's basically the same reason UD can lose in week 12 and still get the #3 seed and the reason W&M gets the #2 seed with 2 FCS losses.

Edge316007
November 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
It's nothing to do with "conference loyalty" or pride or anything like that. It has to do with hoping for an outcome that is best for your school.

Even though the non-App. State SoCon teams have played some good teams in the playoffs very close lately we have still a pretty poor W/L record overall. If you think that doesn't affect App. State if it goes on for too long then you are mistaken.

The SoCon's performance OOC and recent history was a determining factor in you guys getting the number 1 seed. You didn't get all of it simply on your own merit and recent history alone. You guys got the number 1 seed despite a loss to GSU and nailbiters against UTC and Elon because of how the committee views the SoCon. It's basically the same reason UD can lose in week 12 and still get the #3 seed and the reason W&M gets the #2 seed with 2 FCS losses.

Still don't care about any of that. I hope GSU and Wofford go down in flames.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 22nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Still don't care about any of that. I hope GSU and Wofford go down in flames.

I can understand GSU, but Wofford? Why? xlolx

Edge316007
November 22nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
I can understand GSU, but Wofford? Why? xlolx

While they're not the rival GSU and Furman are, they're creeping up (IMO). I think I had them at 4 or 5 in that thread a few weeks back

nmatsen
November 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
Say what you want about the draw, the fact that the Auto Bid from the second highest rated conference didn't get a bye when a 7-4 NH team (who by the way will walk directly to the quarters) is crap. If I had to bet right now one team who was going to make it to the quarters, I would bet New Hampshire. A first round by at 7-4 followed up by a trip to a MEAC school? Give me a break.

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Here's your first round Sportsbook:

UNI (-19) vs Lehigh - O/U 38.5

Western Illinois (-8.5) at Coastal Carolina - O/U 61.5

Georgia Southern (-11.5) vs SC State - O/U 37

NDSU (-9) vs Robert Morris - O/U 33.5

blukeys
November 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Say what you want about the draw, the fact that the Auto Bid from the second highest rated conference didn't get a bye when a 7-4 NH team (who by the way will walk directly to the quarters) is crap. If I had to bet right now one team who was going to make it to the quarters, I would bet New Hampshire. A first round by at 7-4 followed up by a trip to a MEAC school? Give me a break.

I'm just glad that now we have expanded the playoffs that all of the controversy involving who was picked, who got a seed, and who was playing who and where has all been eliminated.xeyebrowxxeyebrowxxeyebrowxxnodx:D

MacThor
November 22nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
I'm just glad that now we have expanded the playoffs that all of the controversy involving who was picked, who got a seed, and who was playing who and where has all been eliminated.xeyebrowxxeyebrowxxeyebrowxxnodx:D

:) Well the expansion to 20 teams sure backfired this year, huh? I'm curious....was the decision to add two at-larges forced by rules (a requirement to have an equal number of AQ's and AL's) or a choice? Seems like 8 at-large teams is still the right number. If the eight at-large teams were Eastern Washington, Delaware, Western Illinois, Villanova, New Hampshire, Wofford, Georgia Southern and Jacksonville State I think there would be a lot less controversy.

GSUhooligan
November 22nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
:) Well the expansion to 20 teams sure backfired this year, huh? I'm curious....was the decision to add two at-larges forced by rules (a requirement to have an equal number of AQ's and AL's) or a choice? Seems like 8 at-large teams is still the right number. If the eight at-large teams were Eastern Washington, Delaware, Western Illinois, Villanova, New Hampshire, Wofford, Georgia Southern and Jacksonville State I think there would be a lot less controversy.

Good point. If there wasn't an auto bid for the NEC and Big South, would there really be an uproar if a 6-5 BSC champ CCU and an 8-2 NEC RMU team were left out as at-larges?

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM

So UNI achieves the same record as UNH against a weaker schedule and that entitles them to a bye over UNH? Makes sense.

Were you complaining when UNI got seeded over SIU in 2008 despite SIU having the autobid and beating UNI head to head? Should CCU get a bye because they're an autobid? Your self-serving, biased logic sucks. Every poll and computer ranking has UNH higher than UNI. I guess those are just the result of east coast/CAA bias, right?

Shouldn't you guys be happy to potentially see us in the quarters again?

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2010, 02:35 PM

The new format really penalizes teams 13-16. Not only do they have to play an extra game, but they get autmotically slated against the seeded teams if they win.

MacThor
November 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Good point. If there wasn't an auto bid for the NEC and Big South, would there really be an uproar if a 6-5 BSC champ CCU and an 8-2 NEC RMU team were left out as at-larges?

I was actually envisioning an 18-team field (10 AQ's and 8 AL's). Two play-in games on Thanksgiving weekend, where the winners travel to seeds 1 and 2. I don't have a problem with the two additional AQ's; my question was whether they HAD to add two AL's to balance the field.

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
I was actually envisioning an 18-team field (10 AQ's and 8 AL's). Two play-in games on Thanksgiving weekend, where the winners travel to seeds 1 and 2. I don't have a problem with the two additional AQ's; my question was whether they HAD to add two AL's to balance the field.

Yes, the # of at-larges must equal the number of AQs.

Tod
November 22nd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Yes, the # of at-larges must equal the number of AQs.

At least. There can be more ALs than AQs, I believe. So, if we wanted to expand to 24 teams, I believe we could just add four more at large teams.

TypicalTribe
November 22nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
The new format really penalizes teams 13-16. Not only do they have to play an extra game, but they get autmotically slated against the seeded teams if they win.

But that's what should happen. It's better than when one of those teams could get in the field and then secure a home game with a big bid.