PDA

View Full Version : Montana Poll

leatherneck177
November 20th, 2010, 09:38 PM
In or out? If in, should they really host a first round game?

tandemlax
November 20th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Many are questioning whether or not NDSU will get in as the last team. I can't see any way Montana could be ahead of NDSU. Montana's allure is in large part the attendance figures/money. NDSU can almost match Montana in those areas, and have 7 D1 wins and an FBS (BCS) win.

FargoBison
November 20th, 2010, 09:46 PM
-6 DI wins
-Didn't play an FBS
-Signature win is 6-5 Sac St

No chance.

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Although I could see taking a six win team, I count at least six teams ahead of Montana, all with seven+ DI wins, that are competing for the last two spots, and that's before you look at the total lack of signature wins the Griz have this year. We had our opportunities today, but giving the ball up five times in the red zone (two fumbles, an interception, on downs and one last interception on a hail mary) just kinda underlines how much Montana is not a playoff team this year.

So who has the longest run of playoff appearances after Montana? Good luck to all teams in the playoffs!

theasushow
November 20th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Although I could see taking a six win team, I count at least six teams ahead of Montana, all with seven+ DI wins, that are competing for the last two spots, and that's before you look at the total lack of signature wins the Griz have this year. We had our opportunities today, but giving the ball up five times in the red zone (two fumbles, an interception, on downs and one last interception on a hail mary) just kinda underlines how much Montana is not a playoff team this year.

So who has the longest run of playoff appearances after Montana? Good luck to all teams in the playoffs!

this sir...is why Montana is a class act.

leatherneck177
November 20th, 2010, 09:51 PM
-6 DI wins
-Didn't play an FBS
-Signature win is 6-5 Sac St

No chance.

I agree, it just seems like every year they find a way in. I just think the committee is going to give them a hard look, not that they deserve it.

molly
November 20th, 2010, 09:52 PM
No way. If they're gonna take a 6 D-I team, it should be JMU this year.

leatherneck177
November 20th, 2010, 09:53 PM

Nice post.

IABison
November 20th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I agree, it just seems like every year they find a way in

I might not agree with some of their seeds, but when did they make the playoffs that they didn't earn it? Didn't they win their conference something like ten years in a row? I don't think you like TSN's prediction of you going out there to play a first round game! xlolx

leatherneck177
November 20th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I might not agree with some of their seeds, but when did they make the playoffs that they didn't earn it? Didn't they win their conference something like ten years in a row? I don't think you like TSN's prediction of you going out there to play a first round game! xlolx

I may be wrong on some of that, I am in no way knocking the success of their program.

And yes, I don't want to see Western have to go out there again! Even though Western beat them out there in a heck of a game in 2003, I hate to see a 6-5 team hosting a playoff game, even despite the fact that $$$ talks with the committee.

appfan2008
November 20th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Montana SHOULD NOT get it... whether they do or not is another story... if they get in and get a home game then this playoff is more boken than I had ever realized...

MarchingMountaineer
November 20th, 2010, 10:34 PM

I guess you're talking about current runs and that's the University of New Hampshire. Their run started in 2004. ASU's current run started in 2005.

I'm predicted Montana's next run starts in 2011.

Nebuta
November 20th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Since we are talking playoff reaches. If Montana gets in. JMU gets in. With wins over W&M (#3 in the country) and VT (BCS bowl bound).

grizwin
November 20th, 2010, 11:30 PM
OK I am not gonna say the GRIZZZ deserve to be in... Will they make it well I have no idea... But yer 2nd question is easy to answer since as the rules are NOW the only way the GRIZ ever play on the road is when matched with a top 5 seed... IF TSN is right or close to right as far as the GRIZ are concerned then MONTANA wold have to win 1 road game and 2 home games to get to the final 4 as weird as that sounds. Lets just put it this way I wont be able to put a good argument above the last teams that make it over the GRIZZ IF it works out that way.

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2010, 11:35 PM
OK I am not gonna say the GRIZZZ deserve to be in... Will they make it well I have no idea... But yer 2nd question is easy to answer since as the rules are NOW the only way the GRIZ ever play on the road is when matched with a top 5 seed... IF TSN is right or close to right as far as the GRIZ are concerned then MONTANA wold have to win 1 road game and 2 home games to get to the final 4 as weird as that sounds. Lets just put it this way I wont be able to put a good argument above the last teams that make it over the GRIZZ IF it works out that way.

Let me interpret: I'm bummed about the Griz loss today and dousing my sorrows in whiskey. At least that's what I'm doing. Should the griz be in? No, and I really can't argue that any team that makes it shouldn't have gotten in ahead of the Griz.

Disclosure: I'm dousing my sorrows in whiskey, just so there's no one accusing me of just throwing random aspersions at fellow Griz fans. :)

KSPanther
November 20th, 2010, 11:38 PM
ONLY 6 DI Wins! They must be on the outside looking in at the 20 who earned a bid!

Is Montana's AD on the selection committee this year ?

grizwin
November 20th, 2010, 11:40 PM
yes

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2010, 11:40 PM
ONLY 6 DI Wins! They must be on the outside looking in at the 20 who earned a bid!

Nahh, was just a thread that, I think, was started to do a little dance on the Montana streak's grave. It's OK, we can handle this smack once every two decades or so. ;)

As I said before, Montana doesn't deserve to be in, and as an FCS fan, I'd honestly be pissed if we were selected. It's nice to have a thanksgiving that's not based on the game.

FCS Go!
November 20th, 2010, 11:41 PM

I can't remember but he would have to leave the room when Montana's status was determined/voted on.

FCS Go!
November 20th, 2010, 11:51 PM
...if they get in and get a home game ...
Come on, you should know by now that, outside of the seeds, home games are awarded based on bid$, not who the best team is. I agree Montana should be out, but I'm surprised almost every year with at least one of the selections so who knows.

slostang
November 21st, 2010, 12:12 AM
There is no way Montana should get in over Cal Poly. They both have a 7-4 record and Cal Poly beat Montana. I am not saying that Cal Poly should be in, only that they should be in before Montana.

WIU02
November 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM
There is no way Montana should get in over Cal Poly. They both have a 7-4 record and Cal Poly beat Montana. I am not saying that Cal Poly should be in, only that they should be in before Montana.

We've already agreed on this one. No way, no chance does Montana make the playoffs. Sorry, boyz.

Squealofthepig
November 21st, 2010, 12:25 AM
There is no way Montana or Cal Poly should get in.

FIFY. Saying either team should get in is frankly insulting to real, championship football.

JMUNJ08
November 21st, 2010, 12:56 AM
FIFY. Saying either team should get in is frankly insulting to real, championship football.

Correct and same with some great 6-5 teams in JMU/UMass/UR/Elon/Chatty to name a few. This is the SLIGHT problem with an expanded field. If there wasn't such a huge gap between the quality of a 10-1 J'ville/Dayton and a 5-6 URI then we'd be ok but that isn't the case....

ngineer
November 21st, 2010, 08:52 AM
No way a team that barely wins more games than it loses should make the playoffs. If a couple of the losses were to FBS schools, then an argument could be made; but that doesn't apply, and UM hasn't shown any consistency, either.

Old Cat Fan
November 21st, 2010, 10:18 AM
When was the last year Montana wasn't in the playoffs

MightyMightyGriz
November 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM
As much as I wanted our GRIZ to be there playing next saturday. I am with many of you. Griz did not earn a spot amongst most teams playing next saturday. It was a weak schedule this year, no offense to other teams, but when we started out with Western and a 72 point win. Come on. And, when ur QB (roper) is a pansy and afraid to throw to his own players or take a hit. Now we can regroup, rest, and begin against The Volunteers of Tennessee next year. Hopefully we can be healthy after that game. Good Luck to those who made it.