PDA

View Full Version : Top Seeds

appstate38
November 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I still think UD and the Apps are the top two seeds for the playoffs..... EWU may have a shot.

I think $$$ will play into knowing the Apps will draw well at home.xprayx

soccerguy315
November 20th, 2010, 04:16 PM
IMO Delaware definitely lost the 2 seed.

ASU is 9-1 in FCS play from the SoCon... good enough for #1 this year.

ASU_MBA
November 20th, 2010, 04:20 PM
#1 ASU
#2 Montana State

WMTribe90
November 20th, 2010, 04:34 PM
If WM beats UR today, they should be seeded before UD. Both teams will have 8 DI wins and be co-champs of the CAA. WM has the head-to-head. WM has three wins against top 10 teams (UNH, UD, VU). UD would have zero wins against top 10 teams and didn´t play an FBS squad. UD played Towson. M was the only CAA team not to play Towson.

ASU is likely the #1 seed, though I´d put WM´s resume up against anybody´s when it comes to SOS, quality wins and three close loses to quality opponents. Again, assuming we hold onto this 24-3 lead.

My best guess, assuming no more upsets today.

1) ASU
2) MSU
3) WM
4) JSU
5) UD or EWU

Edit - Didn´t realize MSU is the BS autobid.

MacThor
November 20th, 2010, 04:50 PM
If WM beats UR today, they should be seeded before UD. Both teams will have 8 DI wins and be co-champs of the CAA. WM has the head-to-head. WM has three wins against top 10 teams (UNH, UD, VU). UD would have zero wins against top 10 teams and didn´t play an FBS squad. UD played Towson. M was the only CAA team not to play Towson.

ASU is likely the #1 seed, though I´d put WM´s resume up against anybody´s when it comes to SOS, quality wins and three close loses to quality opponents. Again, assuming we hold onto this 24-3 lead.

My best guess, assuming no more upsets today.

1) ASU
2) EWU
3) WM
4) JSU
5) UD or SFA

The committee doesn't like to seed 3-loss teams. The only one in recent history had two FBS losses.

WMTribe90
November 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM
The committee doesn't like to seed 3-loss teams. The only one in recent history had two FBS losses.

Every year is different. Who would you seed?

MarchingMountaineer
November 20th, 2010, 04:58 PM
W&M will be seeded before UD, but the CAA isn't getting two seeds. The only confence with a chance for two is the Big Sky.

MacThor
November 20th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Every year is different. Who would you seed?

App State
Jacksonville St
EWU
MSU
SFA

Don't know what order. But the committee will try to seed 9-2 or better teams. UD is still a possibility.

soccerguy315
November 20th, 2010, 05:15 PM
App State
Jacksonville St
EWU
MSU
SFA

Don't know what order. But the committee will try to seed 9-2 or better teams. UD is still a possibility.

do you really think the CAA deserves zero seeds though?

WMTribe90
November 20th, 2010, 05:17 PM
App State
Jacksonville St
EWU
MSU
SFA

You really think they will not seed any teams from the toughest conference in the country. WM has three wins against top ten teams and will be #1 or #2 in the final sagarins. They´ve done enough to deserve a seed with all due respect to your imaginery 9 win rule.

Skjellyfetti
November 20th, 2010, 05:19 PM
You really think they will not seed any teams from the toughest conference in the country and seed three teams from the Big Sky. WM has three wins against top ten teams and will be #1 or #2 in the final sagarins. They´ve done enough to deserve a seed with all due respect to your imaginery 9 win rule.

That's only 2 teams from the Big Sky.

Bobcat in NC
November 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM
You really think they will not seed any teams from the toughest conference in the country and seed three teams from the Big Sky. WM has three wins against top ten teams and will be #1 or #2 in the final sagarins. They´ve done enough to deserve a seed with all due respect to your imaginery 9 win rule.

Who's the third Sky team on that list? I see two...

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM

Do CAA fans have difficulty counting to three? :) Not sure if you have Jacksonville State, App State or Stephen F. Austin in the Big Sky.

Today's been wacky, for certain. But I would say:

1) ASU
2) EWU
3) SFA
4) MSU
5) Delaware

I don't think you can justify not seeding at least one CAA team; and even with the Hens' loss today, I still think their overall consistency should help them keep a seed.

WMTribe90
November 20th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Who's the third Sky team on that list? I see two...

Sorry, don´t know why I want to put SFA in the Big Sky. At any rate, WM and the CAA is deserving of a seed by any meaningful objective measure.

Bobcat in NC
November 20th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Do CAA fans have difficulty counting to three? :) Not sure if you have Jacksonville State, App State or Stephen F. Austin in the Big Sky.

1) ASU
2) EWU
3) SFA
4) MSU
5) Delaware

I don't think you can justify not seeding at least one CAA team; and even with the Hens' loss today, I still think their overall consistency should help them keep a seed.

I just don't see any sane way you seed EWU ahead of MSU with identical records and MSU absolutely owning them in the head-to-head.

theasushow
November 20th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I just don't see any sane way you seed EWU ahead of MSU with identical records and MSU absolutely owning them in the head-to-head.

its strictly based on poll position. not saying that is fair, but that is where people are coming to that conclusion.

WMTribe90
November 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM

1) ASU
2) EWU
3) SFA
4) MSU
5) Delaware

Really, your one to talk. How does UD get a seed over WM?

Both are 8-2 against FCS competition. WM won head to head. WM is the CAA autobid. WM has three top 10 wins to UD´s zero. WM has three close loses to quality opponents, all on the road.

soccerguy315
November 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM

1) ASU
2) EWU
3) SFA
4) MSU
5) Delaware

W&M will have the CAA autobid and a head to head win against Delaware.

Waco Kid
November 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM
1) ASU
2) MSU
3) W&M
4) JSU
5) SFA

I think only one team from the Big Sky will get a seed due to travel costs. The NCAA is being pretty tight these days and it just doesn't make sense $$$ wise to possibly have to send multiple teams out west for 3rd or 4th round games.

NHwildEcat
November 20th, 2010, 05:51 PM
1.) ASU
2.) MSU
3.) JSU
4.) SFA
5.) W&M

I don't see how two teams from the Big Sky would be seeded. Also because of the Delaware loss, I don't see two CAA teams with seeds either.

MacThor
November 20th, 2010, 06:19 PM
You really think they will not seed any teams from the toughest conference in the country. WM has three wins against top ten teams and will be #1 or #2 in the final sagarins. They´ve done enough to deserve a seed with all due respect to your imaginery 9 win rule.

GEEZus W&M fans are so #$*(ing whiny and sensitive it's annoying to no @#$ing end. I absolutely think W&M is one of the five best teams in the country. There is a difference between deserving a seed and getting a seed. There's no imaginary rule, the committee's #1 criteria for seeds is won-loss record. Sagarin is not a factor at all.

UMass and UR were both 9-2, 7-1 in the CAA in '07 (yes, that's better than W&M this year). Co-champions. Neither got a seed. So there's precedent for the CAA getting no seeds. UR was definitely one of the best teams in the country in '08 and couldn't get a seed at 9-3 (yep, that's better than W&M this year). In fact, they weren't even considered for a seed. They were in the top 3 in sagarin going in. SIU obviously wasn't better than W&M last year but they were seeded, because of their record.

purplejacks
November 20th, 2010, 06:25 PM
1. ASU
2. MSU (beat EW head to head)
3. SFA
4. EWU
5. JSU

Just my opinion

TTUEagles
November 20th, 2010, 07:06 PM
JSU is losing with 2 min left in 4th qtr

clawman
November 20th, 2010, 07:39 PM

Eastern's FBS loss was to a top 20 team, Nevada, MSU's FBS loss was to a team (Washington State) that has only won 1 other game.
Eastern's FCS loss was to a 9-2 team MSU, MSU's FCS loss is to a 6-5 team only 1 month ago.

WMTribe90
November 20th, 2010, 07:41 PM
GEEZus W&M fans are so #$*(ing whiny and sensitive it's annoying to no @#$ing end. I absolutely think W&M is one of the five best teams in the country. There is a difference between deserving a seed and getting a seed. There's no imaginary rule, the committee's #1 criteria for seeds is won-loss record. Sagarin is not a factor at all.

UMass and UR were both 9-2, 7-1 in the CAA in '07 (yes, that's better than W&M this year). Co-champions. Neither got a seed. So there's precedent for the CAA getting no seeds. UR was definitely one of the best teams in the country in '08 and couldn't get a seed at 9-3 (yep, that's better than W&M this year). In fact, they weren't even considered for a seed. They were in the top 3 in sagarin going in. SIU obviously wasn't better than W&M last year but they were seeded, because of their record.

You are the one coming off whiny here Thor. I gave my opinion and backed it up with a factual argument.

As for the substance of your post. Like I said, its worthless to compare this year to past years with regards to seeding. All those teams you mention would likely be seeded this year because there is a lack of strong candidates this year, at least with respect to straight wins and losses.

Luckily, unlike you, the committee attempts to seed the 5 best teams. If the records were all that mattered than Wofford and Jacksonville would be seeded. Obviously not the case, win - lose record is just the starting point in the discussion. A discussion that includes SOS, quality wins, poor losses, when the losses occurred and by how much, the modified GPI (WM top 4), etc.

By any objective measurable WM is one of the four best teams in the country. Sorry if my dicussion of this somehow strikes you as whining. Perhaps you are the one who is a little sensitive after a 41-3 loss.

Go Cats
November 20th, 2010, 08:00 PM
once again head to head doesn't matter
Eastern's FBS loss was to a top 20 team, Nevada, MSU's FBS loss was to a team (Washington State) that has only won 1 other game.
Eastern's FCS loss was to a 9-2 team MSU, MSU's FCS loss is to a 6-5 team only 1 month ago.

MacThor
November 20th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I gave my opinion and backed it up with a factual argument. Your argument shows that W&M is one of the top 5 teams in the country. I agree. But there's still not a single example of a 3-loss team getting a seed, except App State with 2 FBS losses.

Luckily, unlike you, the committee attempts to seed the 5 best teams. Actually, it's the opposite. You misread me again. I'd seed W&M, but if you look at precedent, the committee wouldn't. Why did Hampton get a seed in 2005? I wouldn't have seeded Hampton, since they weren't one of the 4 best teams. Obviously, the committee would.

By any objective measurable WM is one of the four best teams in the country. There it is again. We're talking about different things.

After today's results you may be right, since this year there are very few 9-2 or better teams. Plus there's an extra seed. But there are enough 9-2 teams to fill out 5 seeds.

Who the heck knows, at least 4 voters thought Bethune Cookman was the best team in the country earlier this week.

Yeah, I'm p***ed after 41-3, but I certainly don't think less of W&M.

Bobcat in NC
November 20th, 2010, 09:21 PM

Yet another argument saying, in part, "we should be seeded above you because you beat us...badly".

I need to go to bed, this is driving me nuts...

LeadBolt
November 20th, 2010, 09:22 PM
PurpleJack is displaying

West Coast Bias.

Just my opinion

TribeinDC
November 20th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Your argument shows that W&M is one of the top 5 teams in the country. I agree. But there's still not a single example of a 3-loss team getting a seed, except App State with 2 FBS losses.

If that's the case, get ready for history to be made tomorrow. Make sure you watch tomorrow, 10 am.

purplejacks
November 20th, 2010, 09:50 PM
PurpleJack is displaying

West Coast Bias.

Just my opinion

LOL.... seems to alot of that going on tonite. JSU getting beat does stir things up a little bit, but in the final analysis, I really believe your going to see the 9-2 teams as the seeded teams ( with exception of JSU). Also, the committee has to look as the records in the last 3-4 weeks. Everyone's going to discount the BCS loses, but its in the final weeks of conference play where the cream rises to the top...

Just my opinion

Screamin_Eagle174
November 20th, 2010, 09:56 PM

I'll explain it for you Montuckian Staters. Head to head only counts for AQs and BJs. When picking seeds, the committee looks at a team's complete resume. When you do...
http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/50769040777781457404.png

CAAisBOSS
November 21st, 2010, 03:29 AM
yall cant actually think ewu, mtst, jvillst and sft are actually better than the best caa team. excuse the caa for not having respect for any big sky team or mvfc team after the whoopin siu and weber got lat season

CopperCat
November 21st, 2010, 03:37 AM

You also played NAU AND UM at home. MSU played UM at their place and won, which is arguably one of the hardest places to win in the FCS. Don't think that won't carry some weight.

And yes, MSU completely shut down EWU at home. Rationalize it any way you want, MSU should be seeded ahead of EWU.

wmmii
November 21st, 2010, 07:20 AM
I do not see any conference getting two top 4 seeds but with all the losses yesterday do think the CAA will land two in top 5 with MSU looking in at #6

1. ASU
2. EWU
3. W&M
4. SFA
5. UD
6. MSU

Soon we will know..........

UncleSam
November 21st, 2010, 07:23 AM
The Big Sky will NOT get or deserve two seeds, The CAA will get two seeds, as the reality is that the Big Sky (other than Montana), unlike the CAA has no history of success in the playoffs.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2010, 07:29 AM
The Big Sky will NOT get or deserve two seeds, The CAA will get two seeds, as the reality is that the Big Sky (other than Montana), unlike the CAA has no history of success in the playoffs.

xnodx Uncle Sam has spoken

TribeinDC
November 21st, 2010, 09:12 AM

#2 seed. OWNED!

Bobcat in NC
November 21st, 2010, 09:43 AM

xnodx Uncle Sam has spoken

And now the committee has spoken. xnodx

MacThor
November 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM
Yep. The committee made an unprecedented move. The Tribe deserved it, IMO. Congratulations.