PDA

View Full Version : More Big Sky movements?

MplsBison
November 20th, 2010, 11:48 AM
There are some things going on above the Big Sky that could likely affect its membership.

It's likely that TCU is going from the MWC to the Big East and basically a done deal that Hawaii is going from the WAC to the MWC. This means a spot in the CUSA is now possibly open for Louisiana Tech to leave the WAC as well. Air Force was also supposidly talking about going independent when BYU was talking about it. So I guess that may still be on the table. And finally, the MWC has said it's looking at a 12 football member model - IE, killing off the WAC (they think there's only room for 2 western FBS conferences).

So basically any way you look at it, the Big Sky is either going to lose members or possible gain more if some WAC school drop down.

I'll throw out two scenarios.

1 - WAC lives, LA Tech stays in the conf, UTSA and TSU join and then the WAC invites Sac St and Portland St

La Tech - TSU
UTSA - NM St
UT St - Denver
Idaho - Portland St
Sac St - San Jose St

In that case, the Big Sky loses PSU and Sac St which isn't a huge blow. They can probably stay as is. Or, they could add Seattle as a bball only member.

UND - UNC
Mont - MSU
ISU - WSU
SUU - NAU
EWU - (Seattle)

2 - LA Tech leaves for the CUSA, Sac St stays in the Big Sky for football and joins Big West for bball, San Jose St follows Sac St (BS football, BW bball), UT St and NM St join MWC, Idaho joins Big Sky full member. Denver joins as bball only. WAC is dead.

Sac St - San Jose St (bball only)
Portland St - East Washington
Idaho - ID St
WSU - Denver (Denver bball only)
NAU - SUU
Mont - MSU
UNC - UND

Not sure what happens to UTSA and TSU in that situation? Maybe they try to work with CUSA? Or maybe by waiver the NCAA lets them become FBS independents?

I could also see NM St trying to get into the CUSA to be with UTEP.

CopperCat
November 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Good god, could we please just drop this crap and worry about the games today?

ThreadStopper
November 20th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Good god, could we please just drop this crap and worry about the games today?

What games?

darell1976
November 20th, 2010, 02:31 PM
In a way I wished that Idaho would move down and back to the BSC but I don't think they will. I wonder what the BSC will look like in 2012 when UND, SUU, Cal Poly and UC Davis joins.

MplsBison
November 20th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I guess it depends on what MWC will try to do going forward. Assuming TCU moves on to the Big East, the MWC will be at 10 teams in the Mountain and Pacific time zones only: Hawaii, Fresno, SDSU, UNM, CSU, AF, BSU, UNR, UNLV and UWY.

Adding UT St for all sports to bring them to 11 football/10 bball seems like an easy move. Gets them back in Utah/SLC market and USU has a solid bball team and an improving football team with good facilities. Obviously not a one-to-one replacement for Utah or BYU, but still not bad.

But who do you add as the 12th football member? The problem is that Idaho and New Mexico St will probably want in as full members, but that throws off the bball membership at 11. They don't really have anywhere else to put their non-football teams, I don't think the Big Sky would let Idaho in the conference without football.

Maybe they add San Jose St as football only and SJSU non-football sports go to the Big West? That might be the best option.

Then NM St tries to get into CUSA with rival UTEP and Idaho has no other choice but to drop down to the Big Sky in all sports. TSU and UTSA...no idea what they do...try to beg/borrow way into Sun Belt? It's possible that Sun Belt could lose FAU and FIU to CUSA if Central Florida goes to the Big East. CUSA will want games in Florida for recruiting.