PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Lamb Resigns

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Bobby Lamb announced that this Saturday will be the final time he is on the sideline for the Furman football program after nearly 30 years. I like Lamb a lot as a coach and a person. It is fitting that his final football game comes against our most hated rival. The press release says, in part...

"I am resigning my position as head football coach at my school tomorrow (Saturday)," said Lamb. "Since walking on this campus as a freshman in 1982, it has indeed been an honor beyond measure to play with the finest teammates and for a model head coach; work alongside coaches of impeccable character, integrity, and ability; and recruit and direct the most outstanding players, students, and young men any coach, at any level of this great sport, could possibly seek. I have been truly blessed, and for that I am eternally grateful.

"The last few years have been very difficult for me, for my staff, our families, our players, and the many loyal fans who love Furman football. We have not won as many games as we had certainly hoped to win, but it is not for lack of effort, especially those of our coaches and players. I am very proud of our accomplishments, both on and off the field, and the manner in which we attained them.

"Furman football has enjoyed many great moments, a number of which I have been fortunate to experience as a player, assistant coach, and head coach over the past 29 years. I'm confident that with new direction, supported by a renewed commitment to competitiveness and excellence from the university, Paladin football will again experience many more bright moments, which this great football program so richly deserves."

GSUhooligan
November 19th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hope this has the same effect of Furman that the PJ to navy announcement had on us in the '01 playoffs.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I can't say the announcement comes as a shock to many Furman faithful. Lamb has done a lot of things well, but just can't seem to get the team back to its status as a national power.

Let the speculation begin about who will take over. Lot of coaches with Furman ties out there, including several at some pretty good FBS programs.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2010, 03:25 PM
GO FOR 2 BOBBY!!!!!

eaglewraith
November 19th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Wow

Sam I Am
November 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM
http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Furman: FootballScoop has just learned that Furman University head coach Bobby Lamb has resigned. We have heard that Arkansas running backs coach / recruiting coordinator Tim Horton will be a candidate to fill this position. Another source tells us that Billy Napier's name will surface. Napier, who is a former Furman player, serves as the offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach at Clemson.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2010, 03:51 PM
http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Furman: FootballScoop has just learned that Furman University head coach Bobby Lamb has resigned. We have heard that Arkansas running backs coach / recruiting coordinator Tim Horton will be a candidate to fill this position. Another source tells us that Billy Napier's name will surface. Napier, who is a former Furman player, serves as the offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach at Clemson.

Horton's name is encouraging. Potentially demonstrates a need to go outside the "box" and see who's interested. Furman's not a national job, but it would certainly be an appealling gig to a whole lotta folks.

I imagine Napier will get called. I imagine too that Clay Hendrix, the OC at Air Force and a former Furman player and coach and native of Georgia will get a call.

elon77
November 19th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I guess it was too much for him to take getting beat by a one arm quarterback last week. I thought he had done a good job, I guess it comes down to what have you done for me ( us ) lately.xconfusedx

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I guess it was too much for him to take getting beat by a one arm quarterback last week. I thought he had done a good job, I guess it comes down to what have you done for me ( us ) lately.xconfusedx

Not really. Nine seasons is a long time at any D-1 program.

I don't think its a pure win/loss thing. Lamb won plenty. There just comes a point when its time for someone else to take over the wheel.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 19th, 2010, 04:07 PM
The next coach will inherit some good ball players -- hope it doesn't ding you on the recruiting trail this Winter with the coaches turning over.

Knuckle down and send BL out a winner this Sat.

proasu89
November 19th, 2010, 04:12 PM
We will miss him in Boone. Threw some of the best hissy fits I've ever seen on the sidelinexlolx In all seriousness though, he gave everything he had to Furman University as both player and coach and has nothing to be ashamed of. Best wishes to Coach Lamb and good luck to FU in their search. xsmileyclapx

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2010, 04:49 PM
The usual suspect Patriot League coaches already likely have sent their resumes overnight.

appstate38
November 19th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Best of Luck to Coach Lamb.... Hope you guys find a good one. I don't think it will be difficult, because its a great campus.... Besides we need to have the Purple Knights back to where they are good again. So we can brag about how good the SoCon really is.

eaglewraith
November 19th, 2010, 06:03 PM
As someone said on GSUFans, the trash cans at Paulson can rest easy now.

PaladinNation
November 19th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Wasn't sure why Horton is in the mix so early but one look at his bio and I understand...He began his coaching career at Appalachian State in 1990 and helped guide the Mountaineers to a 67-32 record during his eight years, including Southern Conference championships in 1991 and 1995, and five appearances in the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs.* The 1995 Mountaineers are the only Division I team to ever go undefeated in North Carolina college football history.

From 1990-92, Horton coached Appalachian State's receivers and tight ends before taking over as the Mountaineers' running backs coach in 1993. He also served as the program's recruiting coordinator.

Guess
November 19th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Talk about someone who has impacted SoCon & FCS(I-AA) football in the past 25 years....BL is in the discussion. Salute and good luck to BL!

Milktruck74
November 19th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Frankie DeBusk????xchinscratchx

I've often said, "you shouldn't get rid of a coach unless you can replace him with someone better." Just ask those Vols fans how pushing out Old Fat Phil has worked out for them?

Good Luck Coach Lamb, you are a class act and a true gentleman! You served Furman and the SoCon well.

Cincy App
November 19th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Horton is thought very highly of in ASU circles. I think Furman needs to at least consider alumnus George Quarles at Maryville HS (TN). Incredible program he has built.

TTUEagles
November 19th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Nashville talk radio said, and emphasized that it was a RUMOR, that Bobby Johnson (ex-Furman and Vandy coach) was going to be the next coach.

AppStsGr8
November 19th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Good luck in the search, FU. Good luck to Bobby Lamb as well. As much as I've enjoyed the past few years and App's gaining ground on the series wins v losses, I'd love to see FU back to the kind of strength of former years.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 19th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I might be in the minority of all who pull for either GSU, App. State, The Citadel, or Wofford but I've always liked Bobby Lamb even though I don't like the way he conducts himself on the sidelines. Best of luck.

PaladinNation
November 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM
It appears President Smolla is serious about getting Furman back in the championship picture… I will miss BL but this could get very interesting to watch this coaching search pan out, and it will tell us a lot about how much Furman is serious about competing for a title.

Candidates:
Sam Wyche – sounds crazy but… could we seem him come in and coach for 3 years and turn the HC job over to someone like (Des Kitchens)?
Bobby Johnson – I think he wants to stay retired (but never say never)
Billy Napier – Clemson
Clay Hendricks – Air Force
Bruce Fowler – Vandy
Des Kitchens – Vandy
Frankie DeBusk – Tusculum
George Quarles – Maryville HS
Tim Horton – Arkansas

Personally I would like to see Bruce Fowler as HC.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 19th, 2010, 09:20 PM

Can you say "option conference"?

GaSouthern
November 19th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I think Billy Napier will be the next head coach.

eaglesrback
November 19th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I love Bobby Lamb. Sorry to see him go out like Dick Sheridan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BWAAAAAHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I think Billy Napier will be the next head coach.

We'd just as soon let the "go for two" thing die now.

Kidding aside, I'm not sure how I feel on Napier. He's rapidly earned the reputation as one of the nation's best recruiters, but he hasn't exactly lit the scoreboards up as OC at Clemson. Not sure being a head coach in the FCS is any more of a raisethan an OC in the ACC.

ngineer
November 19th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Wow. He's been there awhile, and from what I saw seemed like a class act. I know there was a lot of respect for him when we played Furman in the second round of the playoffs in 2001. Hope the transition goes well. We'd certainly like to play you guys again.

Go...gate
November 19th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Sorry to hear this. Lamb is a fine coach.

Skjellyfetti
November 19th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Just don't pick up a triple offense, please.

apaladin
November 19th, 2010, 11:55 PM
It appears President Smolla is serious about getting Furman back in the championship picture… I will miss BL but this could get very interesting to watch this coaching search pan out, and it will tell us a lot about how much Furman is serious about competing for a title.

Candidates:
Sam Wyche – sounds crazy but… could we seem him come in and coach for 3 years and turn the HC job over to someone like (Des Kitchens)?
Bobby Johnson – I think he wants to stay retired (but never say never)
Billy Napier – Clemson
Bruce Fowler – Vandy
Des Kitchens – Vandy
Frankie DeBusk – Tusculum
George Quarles – Maryville HS
Tim Horton – Arkansas

Personally I would like to see Bruce Fowler as HC.

Sam Wyche--NO way in h***
Bobby Johnson--Too soon to return to coaching.
....but I would like it.
Des Kitchings--Too inexperienced.
The others I could see.

GaSouthern
November 20th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I really wish this could have been announced after the GSU vs. FU game, I don't want it to distract either team :(

Mr. C
November 20th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Bobby Lamb always treated me well and I think most other journalists would echo my sentiments. Being an ex-quarterback, Lamb was well versed in dealing with the media. He was a breath of fresh air after dealing with Bobby Johnson. Johnson was an exceptionally nice fellow, but he was probably the most boring coach that has ever passed through the Southern Conference.

Furman's problems in recent years were almost whole-heartedly related to it falling behind in the Southern Conference arms race. I put most of the blame on Furman's recent departed president, as a lot of Furman fans do. The only thing I can place on Lamb's shoulders is that he was slow to adapt to the changes in modern college offense and that the Paladins had fallen behind in terms of the type of athletes they recruited.

If you look down the road at what happened at Georgia Southern, it is easy to see that changing coaches is not always the answer. It could take Furman a long while to get back to its historic standards. Until you upgrade facilities, you are not going to really compete with the top of the league.

On the subject of replacements, I've heard Billy Napier's name a lot. Bobby Johnson, or Frankie DeBusk would be interesting choices. Clay Hendrix will definitely be on the list. I would be shocked if Furman went with someone who didn't bleed purple. Tim Horton has been mentioned as an eventual replacement for Jerry Moore at Appalachian State. Horton would be a great hire, but I don't see him going to Furman. He is the recruiting coordinator at his alma mater, Arkansas. He can be very selective at the head coaching job he takes. Horton turned down the Elon job at one point.

Purple Knight
November 20th, 2010, 07:01 AM
The problem with going with someone who played/coached at Furman, is that my heart and emotions can't handle seeing the same pass defense we have had over the past years. Looking at the QB to see where he is going to throw the ball when there is a receiver uncovered 7 yards away is insane (IMHO).

OL FU
November 20th, 2010, 07:31 AM
GO FOR 2 BOBBY!!!!!

There will come with age an understanding of matters such as these. I know you and know you will grow into that understandingxthumbsupx

OL FU
November 20th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I haven't read many of the comments and may not. Most know that Lamb has been a part of Furman football since 1982. He has been with the team in some capacity for every playoff game we have been in and we have been in many. He has participated in some fashion for almost 1/3 of all the football games Furman has ever played and we have been playing since 1889. He maybe the best QB I have ever seen play at Furman, not from athleticism but the ability to read defenses and make the appropriate decisions on the field. Whether Furman's downturn can be laid at Bobby's feet or on the recent administration that provided very little support for the football program can be argued forever. Either way, Bobby will always be one of my favorite Paladins. xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

straightshooter
November 20th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Bobby was one of those coaches that teams like GSU, AppSt and Wofford loved to hate, but let's face it, the guy was a pretty good coach. Got to agree with Mr. C on most of what he said (can't believe I wrote that). For all the money Furman has coming in through donations and endowments, not much is being spent on facility upgrades. Granted, that money isn't being given for athletics, but if they aren't careful, they'll go the way of some of the other FCS schools with outdated facilities.

They will likely hire within the Furman family since there are some quality guys that can be considered. It will be interesting to follow. My guess is that this has been in the works for a while, and the administration may already have some primary candidates in mind.

The next question is....where will Bobby land? The guy is a proven winner, so finding a job shouldn't be that difficult for him. There are many schools who would love to have a coach with his won/loss and graduation record.

OL FU
November 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I am glad he was able to announce the decision prior to the last game. I may have watched the game thinking he wouldn't be back but now I can watch and appreciate his service to Furman while I am sitting in the stands.

Fitting in many ways that the last game will be against the Eagles.

Milktruck74
November 20th, 2010, 08:15 AM
You have to think the search committee is at least gonna mention Frankie DeBusk.......

The winningest football coach in school history, Frankie DeBusk is entering his 11th season at Tusculum College in 2008. Since taking over the TC football program, he has built the Pioneers into a year in and year out contender in NCAA Division II, resulting in seven winning seasons in the last eight years.

He also is 1-0 vs SoCon teams this year.

DeBusk, a 1991 Furman University graduate, established 11 school records at quarterback for the Paladins, while compiling an impressive 31-6 record. In 1988, DeBusk led Furman to a 13-2 mark while capturing the NCAA Division I-AA National Championship. His collegiate career also included three Southern Conference titles and three trips to the NCAA I-AA playoffs. He ended his playing career holding school records with 6,726 total yards, including 5,851 yards passing. He was also responsible for 55 touchdowns (38 passing, 17 rushing). For his efforts, he was honored as Southern Conference Player of the Year in 1990. He also earned All-SoCon accolades in his final two collegiate campaigns. In 1998, DeBusk was inducted into the Furman Athletic Hall of Fame.

Milktruck74
November 20th, 2010, 08:15 AM
You have to think the search committee is at least gonna mention Frankie DeBusk.......

The winningest football coach in school history, Frankie DeBusk is entering his 11th season at Tusculum College in 2008. Since taking over the TC football program, he has built the Pioneers into a year in and year out contender in NCAA Division II, resulting in seven winning seasons in the last eight years.

He also is 1-0 vs SoCon teams this year.

DeBusk, a 1991 Furman University graduate, established 11 school records at quarterback for the Paladins, while compiling an impressive 31-6 record. In 1988, DeBusk led Furman to a 13-2 mark while capturing the NCAA Division I-AA National Championship. His collegiate career also included three Southern Conference titles and three trips to the NCAA I-AA playoffs. He ended his playing career holding school records with 6,726 total yards, including 5,851 yards passing. He was also responsible for 55 touchdowns (38 passing, 17 rushing). For his efforts, he was honored as Southern Conference Player of the Year in 1990. He also earned All-SoCon accolades in his final two collegiate campaigns. In 1998, DeBusk was inducted into the Furman Athletic Hall of Fame.

Kramden
November 20th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I have always had a lot of respect for Bobby and Furman. I saw them play Villanova in the ealry 2000's in the playoffs, and, as a Colgate Alum, we were able to get a home and home with Furman. Solid Program. Good academic school. And, although they must be disappointed in getting back to the top in the SoCon, trust me, coming from a Non-Scholarship League and School like Colgate - which has difficulty getting the same level athelete as the scholarship schools, I have always respected Furman and Bobby and wish the program all the best.

proasu89
November 20th, 2010, 09:59 AM
There will come with age an understanding of matters such as these. I know you and know you will grow into that understandingxthumbsupx

I think he made have spent too much time on the Mountaineer Message Board and has been influenced in either a negative or positive way. Either way, we take the full blame or credit. xlolx Here's to Coach Lamb going out on a high note todayxprost2x

AndrewFU21
November 20th, 2010, 11:26 AM
It's going to be a strange day at Paladin Stadium. I salute coach Lamb for many years of dedicated service to our university, and I think he deserves a great sendoff this afternoon. Not many people love Furman more than he does, and I hope they can find an administrative job for him somewhere, should he want it.

That said, it is clear that Furman football needs a change. With a new president at the helm, I hope there will be a renewed commitment to football at FU. I may be among the minority among Furman alums, but I hope they go for the best coach available, whether or not he has a Furman tie. I doubt this will happen, but, then again, I was surprised that they hired a president with no ties either, so we'll see.

Libertine
November 20th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I actually had some small interaction with Bobby Lamb the week before and the week following 9/11. During the week prior, he kind of struck me as a regular "old ball coach" (and I don't mean that in a bad way) but, the week after, he was the epitome of calm and composure in what was obviously a very uncertain time. I have no connection to Furman and I haven't talked to the man since but I was impressed enough by him at the time to feel happy for him when he got the head coaching job there.

OL FU
November 22nd, 2010, 07:21 AM
I think he made have spent too much time on the Mountaineer Message Board and has been influenced in either a negative or positive way. Either way, we take the full blame or credit. xlolx Here's to Coach Lamb going out on a high note todayxprost2x

It's always App's fault.

YT is just young and he has the potential to do and become whatever he desires. He is also a heck of a nice kid.

As for his occasional failings, I blame his dadxlolx

CFBfan
November 22nd, 2010, 08:20 AM
Bobby Lamb announced that this Saturday will be the final time he is on the sideline for the Furman football program after nearly 30 years. I like Lamb a lot as a coach and a person. It is fitting that his final football game comes against our most hated rival. The press release says, in part...

"I am resigning my position as head football coach at my school tomorrow (Saturday)," said Lamb. "Since walking on this campus as a freshman in 1982, it has indeed been an honor beyond measure to play with the finest teammates and for a model head coach; work alongside coaches of impeccable character, integrity, and ability; and recruit and direct the most outstanding players, students, and young men any coach, at any level of this great sport, could possibly seek. I have been truly blessed, and for that I am eternally grateful.

"The last few years have been very difficult for me, for my staff, our families, our players, and the many loyal fans who love Furman football. We have not won as many games as we had certainly hoped to win, but it is not for lack of effort, especially those of our coaches and players. I am very proud of our accomplishments, both on and off the field, and the manner in which we attained them.

"Furman football has enjoyed many great moments, a number of which I have been fortunate to experience as a player, assistant coach, and head coach over the past 29 years. I'm confident that with new direction, supported by a renewed commitment to competitiveness and excellence from the university, Paladin football will again experience many more bright moments, which this great football program so richly deserves."

Maybe he'll come to Georgetown....we need HELP!!!!!!

dungeonjoe
November 22nd, 2010, 09:13 AM
It's always App's fault.

YT is just young and he has the potential to do and become whatever he desires. He is also a heck of a nice kid.

As for his occasional failings, I blame his dadxlolx

You sound like his mother!

BoroNative
November 22nd, 2010, 10:55 AM
I hear Brian Van Gorder would like to try his hand at head coach. Furman should give him a call. He did great work for them in 2006.

eaglewraith
November 22nd, 2010, 03:26 PM
I hear Brian Van Gorder would like to try his hand at head coach. Furman should give him a call. He did great work for them in 2006.

+1