PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Bids

superman7515
November 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Well bids for home playoff games were to be submitted by last Friday. Any word on who has/hasn't put in a bid? I'm told that SC State has bid for a home game. I know SEMO did... Southeast submits bid to host playoff football game (http://www.semissourian.com/story/1680627.html)

Anyone else?

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Are they sealed bids or is the amount public knowledge? I'd be very interested to know how much GSU threw out there after the ASU win.

PurpleOut
November 18th, 2010, 09:51 AM
There was an article on the SFA site on Monday that talked about the deadline for ordering playoff tickets. We put in a bid last year and got a home game. I know we did this year too.

FargoBison
November 18th, 2010, 10:12 AM
NDSU has put a bid in.

theasushow
November 18th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I think ASU may have....not 100% sure though.

Bam
November 18th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Well bids for home playoff games were to be submitted by last Friday. Any word on who has/hasn't put in a bid? I'm told that SC State has bid for a home game. I know SEMO did... Southeast submits bid to host playoff football game (http://www.semissourian.com/story/1680627.html)

Anyone else?

Good luck SEMO with that nice HS field.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Houck Stadium seats about 10,000 people, with the visiting team likely to receive 25 percent to 50 percent of the available tickets.

Is there some sort of requirement regarding giving such a high percentage to the visiting team? I'm pretty sure there are stipulations and guidelines for giving tickets to visiting teams, but that just seems like a lot...

UNHFootballAlum
November 18th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I am sure that UNH put in a bid, but the committee does not like to give them a home game unless they are a seed and I do not see that changing. The bids are not only based on $$$, the committee also considers facitilties, etc.

UNI Pike
November 18th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Is there some sort of requirement regarding giving such a high percentage to the visiting team? I'm pretty sure there are stipulations and guidelines for giving tickets to visiting teams, but that just seems like a lot...

NCAA rulebook specifies at least 500 tickets for the other team's box office. I don't know if player comp tickets are additional or included within that number. Ticket prices can be no lower than you normal single prices charged during the season.

Redhawk2010
November 18th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Good luck SEMO with that nice HS field.

It may not be a big-time facility, but it is not a terrible place to play. Definitely needs some upgrades but we can't all have an NFL stadium to call home like one of our conference schools..

If you want a high school field, look at Murray State with the one-sided stadium and the track around it. Indiana State with the one-sided stadium as well. And Eastern Illinois with their small section of bleachers on the other side and the track around it.

Bam
November 18th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I am sure that UNH put in a bid, but the committee does not like to give them a home game unless they are a seed and I do not see that changing. The bids are not only based on $$$, the committee also considers facitilties, etc.

Not in 90's though (i.e.- Marshall 1991). ):

UNI Pike
November 18th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Are they sealed bids or is the amount public knowledge? I'd be very interested to know how much GSU threw out there after the ASU win.

Bids are "sealed" until after the pairings are made. But people have to know in the backs of their minds that Montana, Delaware, ASU, UNI, etc are going to outbid places like Robert Morris, UNH, etc. That's why you will rarely (if ever) see MT vs ASU or DE vs UNI as an opening game, even if the records warrant that matchup. Too much money left on the table for that to happen.

appfan2008
November 18th, 2010, 10:39 AM
something tells me asu's bid will be worthy of a home game... just saying...
GO APP

Bam
November 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM
It may not be a big-time facility, but it is not a terrible place to play. Definitely needs some upgrades but we can't all have an NFL stadium to call home like one of our conference schools..

If you want a high school field, look at Murray State with the one-sided stadium and the track around it. Indiana State with the one-sided stadium as well. And Eastern Illinois with their small section of bleachers on the other side and the track around it.

Is the still a bar across the street? That is a plus.

HensRock
November 18th, 2010, 10:47 AM

I see one of two possibilities:
1. SEMO University is playing up the potential revenue a playoff game could generate for the local economy in order to get local officials to help upgrade their facilities (not a bad play...)
2. They are in for a big disappointment if they end up hosting a game.

FargoBison
November 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM

c. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded,
criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus
estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance
(e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I
opponents) and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time)

appvette
November 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM
something tells me asu's bid will be worthy of a home game... just saying...
GO APP

The bids only come into play when seeds aren't involved, right? If so, ASU shouldn't have to worry about it. Although they probably still submit a bid as a formality.

soccerguy315
November 18th, 2010, 12:06 PM
well, since ASU is guaranteed a seed, wouldn't it be smart of them to bid the minimum for the first round (or second round... the first round they play)? so they can keep as much of the money as possible? Since the "bid" is what the school is going to give to the NCAA, right?

... or is that not right at all? lol

I'm pretty sure the seeds still have to bid, but as long as they bid the minimum, they get the game.

JSU02
November 18th, 2010, 12:27 PM
well, since ASU is guaranteed a seed, wouldn't it be smart of them to bid the minimum for the first round (or second round... the first round they play)? so they can keep as much of the money as possible? Since the "bid" is what the school is going to give to the NCAA, right?

... or is that not right at all? lol

I'm pretty sure the seeds still have to bid, but as long as they bid the minimum, they get the game.

As i understand it, seeds are required to bid the minimum. However you can't make a windfall from getting a seed and submitting a low big, because the NCAA takes a percentage of every ticket sold, even above the bid amount.

Green26
November 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Montana put in a big bid(s).

Green26
November 18th, 2010, 12:41 PM
As i understand it, seeds are required to bid the minimum. However you can't make a windfall from getting a seed and submitting a low big, because the NCAA takes a percentage of every ticket sold, even above the bid amount.

I believe the ncaa gets 75% after the home team's game costs are paid.

Squealofthepig
November 18th, 2010, 01:46 PM
A useful link for this discussion - http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

This could actually yield some very interesting first round games, especially for Georgia Southern - while some are thinking Bethune-Cookman could be the #5 seed, I could just as easily see them being shipped to Georgia Southern in an opening round game due to GSU's attendance. (And yes, GSU is by no means definitely in, just saying for the sake of argument).

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2010, 02:04 PM
A useful link for this discussion - http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

This could actually yield some very interesting first round games, especially for Georgia Southern - while some are thinking Bethune-Cookman could be the #5 seed, I could just as easily see them being shipped to Georgia Southern in an opening round game due to GSU's attendance. (And yes, GSU is by no means definitely in, just saying for the sake of argument).

I could also see GSU going down to daytona for a game just as easily but I'd like to think we would get the nod by the committie in the event they are who we are matched up against.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2010, 02:11 PM

I sincerely doubt we're going to outbid anyone other than the smaller conference types. That said, nice to know.

Redwyn
November 18th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Stony Brook has submitted a bid to host a playoff game. I would imagine that we would be able to sucessfully outbid most of the "last 4 in" - since I can't imagine us not falling into that group - so I think it's a definite possibility we'll host a first round game.

If it happens - would be a fantastic boost to SBU football and definitely attract a few more fans than usual. All about picking up the ones Hofstra left off....

R.A.
November 18th, 2010, 03:28 PM
As reported on WWW.MEACFANSZONE.PROBOARDS.COM by Pittbull, SC State has submitted their bid for the 2010 FCS Playoffs.

http://meacfanszone.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=sz&thread=5742&page=2#78664

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Stony Brook has submitted a bid to host a playoff game. I would imagine that we would be able to sucessfully outbid most of the "last 4 in" - since I can't imagine us not falling into that group - so I think it's a definite possibility we'll host a first round game.

If it happens - would be a fantastic boost to SBU football and definitely attract a few more fans than usual. All about picking up the ones Hofstra left off....

Start rooting for UMass to lose, then, because you'd certainly be on the road in that matchup.

Could the committee really send UNH to Stony Brook?

danefan
November 18th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Start rooting for UMass to lose, then, because you'd certainly be on the road in that matchup.

Considering SBU is probably willing to pay more, has a much nicer facility, and has experience hosting NCAA championship events - why not?

ngineer
November 18th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Lehigh has submitted a bid and I think has a decent chance of getting a first round game. We have the facilities and track record of putting on a good show when we've had home playoff games (verus Hofstra 2001 and James Madison in 2004).

UNHFootballAlum
November 18th, 2010, 04:20 PM
c. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded,
criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus
estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance
(e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I
opponents) and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time)

It always comes down to our facilities. They consistently match us up with schools that will definately outbid us (MCNeese, UNI, Hampton) that way there is no possible way that we get a home game. if UNH makes the playoffs, expect us to travel via airplane to play a game

UNHFootballAlum
November 18th, 2010, 04:23 PM

I think that would be a toss up, but could happen

chattanoogamocs
November 18th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Chattanooga submitted their bid...they just exed out the contract that said "national championship" and penciled in "first round playoff game" :)

Milktruck74
November 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Chattanooga submitted their bid...they just exed out the contract that said "national championship" and penciled in "first round playoff game" :)

xlolx

Rick Hart (Chatty AD) knows how to get things done, and there is plenty of money in town to make sure this happens. If UTC beats Woffie, there WILL be a playoff game in the Nooga!!!! But a loud shout to TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS ON SATURDAY, or all the money on Lookout Mountain won't bring a playoff game to town.

R.A.
November 18th, 2010, 09:33 PM
It always comes down to our facilities. They consistently match us up with schools that will definately outbid us (MCNeese, UNI, Hampton) that way there is no possible way that we get a home game. if UNH makes the playoffs, expect us to travel via airplane to play a game

What were the various aspects that went into Colgate traveling yo UNH in the playoffs a few years ago??

chattanoogamocs
November 18th, 2010, 09:49 PM
What were the various aspects that went into Colgate traveling yo UNH in the playoffs a few years ago??

UNH was the #1 seed that year.

GunsAndGuitars
November 18th, 2010, 10:20 PM
xlolx

Rick Hart (Chatty AD) knows how to get things done, and there is plenty of money in town to make sure this happens. If UTC beats Woffie, there WILL be a playoff game in the Nooga!!!! But a loud shout to TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS ON SATURDAY, or all the money on Lookout Mountain won't bring a playoff game to town.

AND SoCon fans don't have to watch the ASU show in Kidd Brewer West!

Cincy App
November 18th, 2010, 10:25 PM

I doubt it. Stony Brook has average home attendance this year of 4,900 and as a first-time participant, has no experience as a playoff host. Long shot.

Redwyn
November 18th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I doubt it. Stony Brook has average home attendance this year of 4,900 and as a first-time participant, has no experience as a playoff host. Long shot.

Well, that and it's unlikely SBU would get a bye. Let's be blunt, we don't deserve one. The only teams we'd feasibly play would be RMU, Lehigh, or U Mass. Of those, I believe we'd outbid RMU and Lehigh - not necessarily because we deserve to host, simply that SBU tends to get what it wants and seems to be throwing money at a lot of things like that lately (see new track/field facility, baseball field, and conditioning center this season alone).

If we do end up hosting - our chance of winning a playoff game rockets. For one reason or another we're close to bulletproof at home.

semoredhawk
November 18th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I have heard that the OVC has agreed to provide $25k to each JSU and SEMO in support of their bids.

UNHFootballAlum
November 18th, 2010, 11:58 PM

UNH was a seeded team

PantherRob82
November 19th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I have heard that the OVC has agreed to provide $25k to each JSU and SEMO in support of their bids.

Can't say I've ever heard of this....

JMUNJ08
November 19th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Lehigh has submitted a bid and I think has a decent chance of getting a first round game. We have the facilities and track record of putting on a good show when we've had home playoff games (verus Hofstra 2001 and James Madison in 2004).

Really enjoyed myself there in 2004! Not just for the start of our run but the game day experience as well!

Old Cat Fan
November 19th, 2010, 01:18 AM

Did the NCAA have this bid extortion crap back in the 90's? when we hosted Samford(91) and App ST (94) both of those game were first rounders,(both losses for you younger fans ) :(

extortion
- 4 dictionary results
Law . the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 19th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Did the NCAA have this bid extortion crap back in the 90's? when we hosted Samford(91) and App ST (94) both of those game were first rounders,(both losses for you younger fans ) :(

extortion
- 4 dictionary results
Law . the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority.

Did they seed the entire field then?

Cincy App
November 19th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Did they seed the entire field then?

Yes, they did seed the entire field in the '90's.

Due to the expected composition of teams in the first round vs. the second round, I expect UNH to host if they play their first game in round 1 but travel if they play their first game in round 2. UNH has hosted playoff games before which is another significant advantage in the eyes of the Playoff Selection Committee.

NHwildEcat
November 19th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Yes, they did seed the entire field in the '90's.

Due to the expected composition of teams in the first round vs. the second round, I expect UNH to host if they play their first game in round 1 but travel if they play their first game in round 2. UNH has hosted playoff games before which is another significant advantage in the eyes of the Playoff Selection Committee.

Yeah I agree with this. If the game were to be televised then it probably won't be at UNH because I believe ESPN was not too impressed with how they had to set up a few years back...I would love a home game though.

I will say that I hope UNH is not playing next weekend...I think it would be nice if they could have a week of to rest up a little bit more. But I will take any and all playoff appearances!

nmatsen
November 19th, 2010, 08:19 AM
UNH was a seeded team

What year was that again?

MacThor
November 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM
If UR squeaks into the field they will probably be a first-round host. I think everyone involved wants a playoff game at Robins Stadium.

THE HERD
November 19th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I think the latest bracket projection has Stony Brook coming to Fargo to face the Bizon. Didn't Stony Brook get crushed by UND last year or the year before in Grand Forks?

JSU02
November 19th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Can't say I've ever heard of this....

I guess the home office really wants the playoff losing streak to end this year.

IaaScribe
November 19th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I think the latest bracket projection has Stony Brook coming to Fargo to face the Bizon. Didn't Stony Brook get crushed by UND last year or the year before in Grand Forks?

They lost by seven last year at UND. Not exactly crushed. SBU actually outgained UND by 129 yards but turned it over three times.

EdubAlum
November 19th, 2010, 09:28 AM
EWU put in a bid. I guess they have to pay a $1000.00 fee to the NCAA when you submit your bid, just to stop people putting in crappy bids for the hell of it.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 19th, 2010, 09:32 AM
EWU put in a bid. I guess they have to pay a $1000.00 fee to the NCAA when you submit your bid, just to stop people putting in crappy bids for the hell of it.

So the vast amount of paper work from processing 20 bids is overwelming the NCAA?

MacThor
November 19th, 2010, 09:54 AM
So the vast amount of paper work from processing 20 bids is overwelming the NCAA?

They should hire a robo-signer.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 19th, 2010, 10:09 AM
They should hire a robo-signer.

Ouch.

But even as bureaucratic and asinine as the NCAA sometimes functions, I assume they can manage the paper trail

xwhistlex

R.A.
November 19th, 2010, 10:45 AM
UNH was the #1 seed that year.

Thanks

Old Cat Fan
November 19th, 2010, 11:11 AM
What year was that again?
Man, you guys took us out 3 times and you're still rubbing salt into that never healing wound xbawlingx xlolx

nmatsen
November 19th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Man, you guys took us out 3 times and you're still rubbing salt into that never healing wound xbawlingx xlolx

Sorry, the ruthlessness of the Deleware fans the over the last 7 years as well as the Richmond dibacle has me soured towards CAA fans, I forget that you UNH guys are pretty civil.

semoredhawk
November 19th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I guess the home office really wants the playoff losing streak to end this year.

I don't know how accurate that is, just something that I heard, or has been discussed around SEMO coffers. What I was told that is only for the first game, anything beyond that is on the schools.

chattanoogamocs
November 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM

It is just another way for the NCAA to make some money...20 schools bid, NCAA makes $20K for essentially doing nothing.

Redhawk2010
November 19th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I don't know how accurate that is, just something that I heard, or has been discussed around SEMO coffers. What I was told that is only for the first game, anything beyond that is on the schools.

I don't know if the number is accurate, but I was told that the OVC was putting up some money... and the person who told me said he had talked to the AD at SEMO. I think it's great if it's true..

EdubAlum
November 19th, 2010, 08:08 PM
It is just another way for the NCAA to make some money...20 schools bid, NCAA makes $20K for essentially doing nothing.

more than that even, because teams may have put in a bid before they even know if they're playoff eligible (like montana).

chattanoogamocs
November 19th, 2010, 08:34 PM
more than that even, because teams may have put in a bid before they even know if they're playoff eligible (like montana).

(and Chattanooga...and Georgia Southern, etc, etc)

flyenhigh
November 20th, 2010, 08:38 AM
P F L

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2010, 08:53 AM
OK, there's lots of grousing here, but I see no one offering a solution. The NCAA loses about half a million bucks every year on the NCAA championships; how else do you want to help pay for it? Higher taxes? Higher tuition? Have every FCS team's alumni group send in a check?

I'm not happy with the whole bidding thing either (I'm still a fan of seeding every team in a traditional way, which yes has its owns drawbacks), but I don't have a better solution, either.

Redhawk2010
November 20th, 2010, 09:24 AM
OK, there's lots of grousing here, but I see no one offering a solution. The NCAA loses about half a million bucks every year on the NCAA championships; how else do you want to help pay for it? Higher taxes? Higher tuition? Have every FCS team's alumni group send in a check?

I'm not happy with the whole bidding thing either (I'm still a fan of seeding every team in a traditional way, which yes has its owns drawbacks), but I don't have a better solution, either.

Do you have to bid for a playoff game at the DII and DIII levels?

chattanoogamocs
November 20th, 2010, 11:34 AM

What, do you work for the NCAA? :)

It is hard to shed a tear for the poor NCAA, a monolopstic cash machine. Last time I checked, the NCAA isn't losing any money. Matter of fact, they make so much money they have to be careful to give enough away (back to schools) as to not lose their non-profit status. BTW, I am not necessarily against a fee for applying, but still, it is what it is...a money grab.

(just a note, the NCAA earns over $500 million a year just from television contracts...a $500K loss on FCS football is like me spending a 75 cents on a candy bar)

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Oh, I'm not shedding a tear. I'm just saying, yes, it sucks, but what can you suggest that's better? Just pointing out how pointless it is to complain about.

Another argument against is that established schools get ingrained in the system, so it is hard for a non-power to get multiple home games. Teams like Delaware (welcome back), App and Montana will continually outbid most other teams, denying other teams a chance to really build some hometown support.

chattanoogamocs
November 20th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Oh, I'm not shedding a tear. I'm just saying, yes, it sucks, but what can you suggest that's better? Just pointing out how pointless it is to complain about.

Another argument against is that established schools get ingrained in the system, so it is hard for a non-power to get multiple home games. Teams like Delaware (welcome back), App and Montana will continually outbid most other teams, denying other teams a chance to really build some hometown support.

Uh...let's see, a suggestion that's better...oh wait, I got one, how about don't charge anything? The more I think about it, how idiotic to charge someone a fee for the right to bid on an event that you have to then pay money for.

As for complaining, isn't that why Al Gore invented the internet in the first place?

(and actually, I wasn't actually complaining, I was just making a matter of fact point...it's a money grab...pleae, tell me it isn't)