PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll Voters!!!

AGSPoll
November 17th, 2010, 08:31 PM
The upcoming vote this Saturday is the most important ballot of the year!!xnodx

VOTING SATURDAY AND EARLY SUNDAY ONLY IS REQUIRED!!!

The poll opens Saturday afternoon and ends Sunday morning at 3 am CST. We're under deadline to report the final results by 5 am to media oulets and Massey Ratings. Help the Selection Committee get it right!xthumbsupx

Remember, voting restrictions have been lifted for this final vote to increase participation.xsmileyclapx

R3TRO
November 17th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Anyone can vote?

ngineer
November 17th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Anyone can vote?

Sounds like it....

NHwildEcat
November 18th, 2010, 05:48 AM
What time does it open specifically?

LouiseBFree
November 18th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Selection committee does not use this poll. Silly, silly, silly.

OhioHen
November 18th, 2010, 06:48 AM
The poll opens Saturday afternoon

How can the poll open Saturday afternoon? There are games involving ranked teams that don't start until late afternoon/early evening Eastern time. If the poll opens prior to the completion of those games, the poll results could be greatly affected.

For example, what happens to the ranking of EWU if they lose to Idaho State? Any vote cast prior to that result being known would rank EWU much too high and should be rejected by the poll committee.

Another example is Richmond at William & Mary. The outcome of that game will affect how BOTH teams are ranked. It won't end until somewhere around 6:30.

appfan2008
November 18th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I think it is wrong to have a poll if you are gonna give us 3 hours in the middle of the night from the time the last games end till it is due... I would like to be sleeping at that time...

Why do we have to have the poll in at that time anyway? it is not used by the selection committee...

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Why do we have to have the poll in at that time anyway? it is not used by the selection committee...

Only guess is that they're trying to get a final GPI in the hands of the committee. I don't understand why they moved the selections to the morning.

Ivytalk
November 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I think it is wrong to have a poll if you are gonna give us 3 hours in the middle of the night from the time the last games end till it is due... I would like to be sleeping at that time...

I have the same view. Can't we push the deadline to, say, noon or even 10 a.m. Sunday?

bluehenbillk
November 18th, 2010, 09:50 AM
A: If you guys think the GPI is used by the committee to select the teams you're fooling yourself - it never comes out till mid-week so at best they could look at the previous weeks.

B: What good is pushing a voting deadline until after the brackets are released at 10am EST Sunday???

RabidRabbit
November 18th, 2010, 09:56 AM
xtwocentsxThe AGS poll is part of the GPI, and has also been the most accurate poll to picking the selections. If we wait until after the selections are made, that's not a poll, that's a result.xrulesxxthumbsupx

Ivytalk
November 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM
OK, I'd forgotten about that bracket release time. I'll just drink a lot of coffee and vote late Saturday night!

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2010, 10:05 AM
xtwocentsxThe AGS poll is part of the GPI, and has also been the most accurate poll to picking the selections. If we wait until after the selections are made, that's not a poll, that's a result.xrulesxxthumbsupx

I agree with that. If we vote after the field is announced, the selections will have an impact on the rankings.

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Thankfully, the latest game of note on the schedule (JSU at TTU) starts at 5:00, so we should be able to vote with all results in by 8:00. No need to pull all-nighters.

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Remember to keep GSU in the top 15 if they win and I have 1 million monopoly dollars for anyone who votes GSU #1 ;)

Seriously though, thanks for all who put in their time to do this!

RabidRabbit
November 18th, 2010, 12:00 PM
The upcoming vote this Saturday is the most important ballot of the year!!xnodx

VOTING SATURDAY AND EARLY SUNDAY ONLY IS REQUIRED!!!

The poll opens Saturday afternoon and ends Sunday morning at 3 am CST. We're under deadline to report the final results by 5 am to media oulets and Massey Ratings. Help the Selection Committee get it right!xthumbsupx

Remember, voting restrictions have been lifted for this final vote to increase participation.xsmileyclapx

Have all restrictions been lifted, or just the ones about having not missed more than two? Still have to have been registered since the pre-season, or can anybody here vote?

Inquirying minds want to know! xsmiley_wix

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Have all restrictions been lifted, or just the ones about having not missed more than two? Still have to have been registered since the pre-season, or can anybody here vote?

I can't imagine we're suddenly going to open it up to all members. Need to keep some kind of eligibility requirements.

superman7515
November 18th, 2010, 01:12 PM

But the AGS is not part of the modified GPI used by the selection committee, it only uses computer rankings.

AGSPoll
November 19th, 2010, 08:16 AM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?78802-Voting-restrictions-lifted!!!

AGSPoll
November 19th, 2010, 08:17 AM
But the AGS is not part of the modified GPI used by the selection committee, it only uses computer rankings. AGS is used in the Massey calculatoins that the GPI draws from.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2010, 11:13 AM
A: If you guys think the GPI is used by the committee to select the teams you're fooling yourself - it never comes out till mid-week so at best they could look at the previous weeks.

B: What good is pushing a voting deadline until after the brackets are released at 10am EST Sunday???

Once again you show you are TOTALLY clueless. Why do you post stuff like this. The NCAA committee has requested the modified GPI be in their hands as quickly as possible on Sunday morning. The playoff announcement is at 10 a.m. They also require the early-morning arrival of both the TSN and Coaches polls. This is now the THIRD year they have done this. You can say all you want that the committee doesn't use the GPI, but why then do they want it BEFORE the playoff pairings are announced? As for when the GPI comes out, during the season it is released on Tuesdays. But when all the necessary info is in place on Sunday, it can be released on Sunday. And just because you don't see it until the middle of the week doesn't mean it isn't done well before then anyway.

How about gaining a little knowledge before you post on subjects you know little about?

TypicalTribe
November 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I think that while the committee doesn't "use" it directly to make picks, much like the NCAA hoops committee doesn't "use" the RPI, both have acknowledged these tools as a valuable resource for making the best possible selections.

R3TRO
November 20th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Well, I was going to try and vote today.. but after all these games I don't know if I can. lol

theasushow
November 20th, 2010, 04:12 PM
all this means I will have to vote while under the influence.....not good.

OhioHen
November 20th, 2010, 06:18 PM
With all the losses by teams at the bottom of my poll, I have to wait for the game that just started (Sacramento State at UC Davis) to be done. A win puts Sac State in my Top 25, a loss gives that final vote to another team.

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2010, 06:59 PM
With all the losses by teams at the bottom of my poll, I have to wait for the game that just started (Sacramento State at UC Davis) to be done. A win puts Sac State in my Top 25, a loss gives that final vote to another team.

I was just about to post the exact same thing! 1-10 was fairly easy (though exact order was not); 11-20 was a bit more difficult; 21-25 is just... well, ack. And last week's GPI isn't helping! :)

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I need bonarae's cheat sheet...

Hope he comes about at the conclusion of Sac St-UC-Davis to help us out! The sooner, the better!

Though, I also have TEXAS SOUTHERN ranked on my ballot (#25), so need to wait for them as well...

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
And Sac State/UC Davis is delayed. Ack! Only affects my 20-25 range, but still.

And Texas Southern! Wow. They're on my radar (especially after last week's key win), but that loss to Tuskegee has kept 'em off mine.

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2010, 06:45 PM
Once again you show you are TOTALLY clueless. Why do you post stuff like this. The NCAA committee has requested the modified GPI be in their hands as quickly as possible on Sunday morning. The playoff announcement is at 10 a.m. They also require the early-morning arrival of both the TSN and Coaches polls. This is now the THIRD year they have done this. You can say all you want that the committee doesn't use the GPI, but why then do they want it BEFORE the playoff pairings are announced? As for when the GPI comes out, during the season it is released on Tuesdays. But when all the necessary info is in place on Sunday, it can be released on Sunday. And just because you don't see it until the middle of the week doesn't mean it isn't done well before then anyway.

Mr. C -

Per Jim O'Day, the committee did not use the GPI... haven't they in the past? Why not this year?

Jon(Cedar Falls): Does the committee use the Gridiron Power Index as criteria?
Jim O'Day: The committee did not use the GPI - or any other external polls - to select, pair or seed any of the championship teams.

http://www.ncaa.com/chat/111710aaa.html

Keenan
November 21st, 2010, 06:57 PM
Mr. C -

Per Jim O'Day, the committee did not use the GPI... haven't they in the past? Why not this year?

Why have polls then? What good are they and what purpose do they serve? Absolutely nothing apparently!

Mr. C
November 21st, 2010, 07:00 PM
Mr. C -

Then why do they request we provide this information to the NCAA committee before they release the pairings. He can say that all he wants (as other committee chairmen have), but the fact is that the NCAA asks for it to be done early and provided to them, just like they asked for the TSN poll to be done early. There is plenty of bull that is SAID by these guys that isn't necessarily what goes on.

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2010, 07:13 AM
Anyone else see how wacky some of the questions were...??

Robert (Jacksonville): Jim - did you guys even look at the North Dakota State score or did you look at the $$$ they were going to offer for hosting a game? To take a team that loses 3-0 in their final game shows how much of a crock this cabal is.

Bill: Wow, you are the AD of Montana and they are on the bubble. Please tell me you leave the room for that discussion. They should be penalized for playing a D2 school and they should be left out. Show some class not like when the CAA has been in charge.