PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the brackets?

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I know it's become a little more complicated with the extra layer of playoffs, but what happened to the bracket prognosticating that used to go on? Here's one man's opinion with a week to go:

Lehigh/RMU at #1 Delaware
MSU at UNI

SBU/UMass at #2 ASU
Wofford at W&M

GSU/SCSU at #3 JSU
UNH at BCC

Chatty/SEMO at #4 SFA
NDSU at #5 EWU

emilimo701
November 17th, 2010, 02:05 PM
This guy has been doing them since the preseason:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?78657-Week-11-Playoff-Prognostications/

profisme
November 17th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I know it's become a little more complicated with the extra layer of playoffs, but what happened to the bracket prognosticating that used to go on? Here's one man's opinion with a week to go:

Lehigh/RMU at #1 Delaware
MSU at UNI

SBU/UMass at #2 ASU
Wofford at W&M

GSU/SCSU at #3 JSU
UNH at BCC

Chatty/SEMO at #4 SFA
NDSU at #5 EWU

Just a small critique. If MSU beats UM, which, judging by your bracket you have predicted, MSU will get a seed. I would be willing to bet that MSU will be hosting a game the first weekend even if they lose this weekend to UM. UM would then likely be hosting a 2nd round game. Just a thought.

emilimo701
November 17th, 2010, 02:20 PM
and mine:

Robert Morris @ Lehigh --|
at |---|
Delaware (1) --| |
|---|
New Hampshire --| | |
at |---| |
North Dakota State --| |
|---|
Wofford --| | |
at |---| | |
William & Mary (5) --| | | |
|---| |
Jacksonville @ Bethune-Cookman --| | |
at |---| |
Jacksonville State (4) --| |
|
Stony Brook @ Massachusetts --| |
at |---| |
Eastern Washington (3) --| | |
|---| |
Stephen F. Austin --| | | |
at |---| | |
Montana State --| | |
|---|
Southeast Missouri State --| |
at |---| |
Northern Iowa --| | |
|---|
S Carolina St @ GA Southern --| |
at |---|
Appalachian State (2) --|
The bracket, as I made it above, assumes that all favorites win this weekend.

Auto-bids:
Delaware (CAA)
Appalachian State (Southern)
Jacksonville State (Ohio Valley)
Stephen F. Austin (Southland)
Montana State (Sky)
Northern Iowa (Missouri Valley)
Bethune-Cookman (MEAC)
Robert Morris (Northeast)
Lehigh (Patriot)
Stony Brook (Big South)

At-Large:
Eastern Washington (Sky)
William & Mary (CAA)
New Hampshire (CAA)
Wofford (Southern)
SE Missouri St (Ohio Valley)
North Dakota State (Missouri Valley)
Massachusetts (CAA)
Georgia Southern (Southern)
South Carolina St (MEAC)
Jacksonville (Pioneer)

Bubble teams (NEED win next week) in order of current GPI:
8) New Hampshire
11) Villanova
12) Montana
14) Massachusetts
16) Chattanooga
18) Richmond
20) Georgia Southern
21) Western Illinois
^ If five out of these eight teams win this week, Jacksonville then South Carolina State are knocked out of bracket. If more than five win, the committee will have some tough decisions to make.. If less than three of these eight teams win, could we see a year in which the "7-counting-D1-wins" guideline is ignored? We'll see.

emilimo701
November 17th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Just a small critique. If MSU beats UM, which, judging by your bracket you have predicted, MSU will get a seed. I would be willing to bet that MSU will be hosting a game the first weekend even if they lose this weekend to UM. UM would then likely be hosting a 2nd round game. Just a thought.

Nah, I'd still say SFA and W&M are currently ahead of Montana State for a seed even if Montana State shares the Big Sky title.

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Nah, I'd still say SFA and W&M are currently ahead of Montana State for a seed even if Montana State shares the Big Sky title.

I tend to agree. Could see them hosting UNI but it always feels like the Panthers get home games when possible.

heath
November 17th, 2010, 02:37 PM
If Liberty wins,would you then put Liberty @Lehigh and RMU @ UMass?, That SC State game vs GSU would be nice. What are the teams you would MOST like to play opening round?-RMU,Lehigh&Jacksonville?

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM
If Liberty wins,would you then put Liberty @Lehigh and RMU @ UMass?, That SC State game vs GSU would be nice. What are the teams you would MOST like to play opening round?-RMU,Lehigh&Jacksonville?

I think it's pretty much consensus that RMU/Lehigh is a given simply because of proximity.

emilimo701
November 17th, 2010, 02:47 PM

It would be Lehigh @ UMass and RMU @ Liberty in that case, even though RMU/Liberty would be a rematch game. But even if Liberty wins, Stony Brook still wins the AQ, and Stony Brook is still the most logical geographical matchup with UMass, even though that too would be a rematch. But this doesn't matter much because even if Liberty wins, they need a lot of help (most likely in the form of 6 of the 8 teams I listed above losing).

heath
November 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I think it's pretty much consensus that RMU/Lehigh is a given simply because of proximity.

How bout IF Liberty wins, they come Williamsburg,with MSU getting the 5th seed if they win?

emilimo701
November 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM
How bout IF Liberty wins, they come Williamsburg,with MSU getting the 5th seed if they win?

No, not necessarily, and no, not necessarily. IF Montana State wins, their chances of getting a seed are still only about 30% I'd say. It depends on who else wins/loses on Saturday. And IF Liberty wins, their chances of making the playoffs are still only about 10% I'd say. If 6 of the 8 bubble teams that I listed lose, they have a good shot. If three win and five lose, I'd say they're fighting with the Jacksonville Dolphins for the last spot in.

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM

But in that scenario, Liberty is getting a 1st round bye, which would be awfully ahrd to justify.

emilimo701
November 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM
But in that scenario, Liberty is getting a 1st round bye, which would be awfully ahrd to justify.

Yup. If Liberty manages to squeak in, they will be playing (and very likely hosting a game) in the first round.

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Liberty needs a huge win and a CCU tight one to get in, no?

heath
November 17th, 2010, 03:08 PM

No,it meant W&M wasn't.But Just realized Stony Brook is 5-0 in conference,so win or lose and Liberty will probably not make the playoffs.The Tribe needs to win Saturday to get a bye,because losing 3 out of last 4 may not put you in the top 12. That should be a great game, How is you QB position this week?

emilimo701
November 17th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Liberty needs a huge win and a CCU tight one to get in, no?

yup, a 43+ point victory over Stony Brook with Charleston Southern scoring more points than Stony Brook. lol

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM

RMU (Moon Twp.) to Lehigh (Bethlehem) is a 5+ hour trip across the state.

emilimo701
November 17th, 2010, 06:20 PM
RMU (Moon Twp.) to Lehigh (Bethlehem) is a 5+ hour trip across the state.

correct. which is exactly why they would most likely play each other.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM
correct. which is exactly why they would most likely play each other.

Amherst is closer by more than an hour. I believe Lehigh and Umass are going to be play because of this and the teams past history. The biggest question is where.

RMU to Lehigh is 5.5 hours, Liberty to Lehigh is about 6, Stony Brook to Lehigh is about 3

UNH Fanboi
November 17th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Amherst is closer by more than an hour. I believe Lehigh and Umass are going to be play because of this and the teams past history. The biggest question is where.

RMU to Lehigh is 5.5 hours, Liberty to Lehigh is about 6, Stony Brook to Lehigh is about 3

I'd just like to point out that the committee doesn't care about the distance of bus trips. They only care about minimizing the number of flights. The committee would rather have two 399 mile bus trips than one 10 mile bus trip and flight. If RMU doesn't bus to Lehigh, where else will they go? RMU-Lehigh and Stony Brook-UMass seems to make the most sense.

soccerguy315
November 17th, 2010, 07:58 PM
How is you QB position this week?

Callahan (game 1 starter) played the whole game last week and is listed 1st on the two deep in the game notes for this week, so I assume he will play the whole game.

Appattk
November 17th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Here's my take.... They're gonna love a lot of these geographical matchups

Stoney Brook/UMass @ #1 Delaware
UNH @ Montana

Wofford @ #5 Jacksonville St
Robert Morris/Lehigh @ #4 William & Mary

Bethune Cookman/NDSU #3 EWU
SF Austin @ UNI

SCSU/Georgia Southern @ #2 ASU
SE Missouri State @ Montana State

Redbirdz
November 17th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Jacksonville vs Jacksonville (St) my goodness.

PurpleOut
November 17th, 2010, 09:53 PM

UNH @ Montana

SF Austin @ UNI

No way they make SFA play @ UNI, after already playing there this year. And especially where both teams are sitting right now. UNI @ SFA...maybe.

Chemhen
November 17th, 2010, 10:05 PM

UNH @ Montana

SF Austin @ UNI

I don't think they'll put all the CAA teams on one side of the bracket (they never have before); maybe switch Stoney Brook/UMass with SCSU/GSU, avoiding two potential rematches with UD and ASU. I think they'll try to avoid the seeds playing teams in their conference (maybe an exception for a UD-UNH scenario) for the seed's first game.

tribefan40
November 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I don't think they'll put all the CAA teams on one side of the bracket (they never have before); maybe switch Stoney Brook/UMass with SCSU/GSU, avoiding two potential rematches with UD and ASU. I think they'll try to avoid the seeds playing teams in their conference (maybe an exception for a UD-UNH scenario) for the seed's first game.

+1. Isn't there something in the setup of the playoffs this year that teams in the same conference cannot play in the 1st and 2nd rounds? I think there's an exception with the 4 and 5 seed being from the same conference, but otherwise I think it will be avoided, as it should be.

ngineer
November 17th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I hope we're in the bracket with Delaware. We have had some great games with Blue Hens over the years and had a regular rivalry going until about 10 years ago and just infrequently since. I think Lehigh can win that first game and with the Lehigh following , "The Tub" would be full that first weekend in December.

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2010, 11:05 PM
No way they make SFA play @ UNI, after already playing there this year. And especially where both teams are sitting right now. UNI @ SFA...maybe.

If we played, it would be at UNI. I'm sure we would bid more.

I would expect a MSU-SFA matchup and UNI-SEMO though.

soccerguy315
November 18th, 2010, 12:21 AM
+1. Isn't there something in the setup of the playoffs this year that teams in the same conference cannot play in the 1st and 2nd rounds? I think there's an exception with the 4 and 5 seed being from the same conference, but otherwise I think it will be avoided, as it should be.

I think the rule is no conference matchups in the first round (where only 8 play), and none of the 12 byes from the same conference can be matched in the 2nd round, but if (for instance) a CAA team wins the first week, they could end up playing a CAA team in Round 2 that had a bye.

but I might well be wrong.

emilimo701
November 18th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I'd just like to point out that the committee doesn't care about the distance of bus trips. They only care about minimizing the number of flights. The committee would rather have two 399 mile bus trips than one 10 mile bus trip and flight. If RMU doesn't bus to Lehigh, where else will they go? RMU-Lehigh and Stony Brook-UMass seems to make the most sense.

Thank you sir. RMU to Stony Brook is just too far of a drive to make a Lehigh-UMass game make sense.

Go Apps
November 18th, 2010, 06:07 AM

No teams from a conference can meet in round 1 no issues from that point forward as that has always been the case - there will be a regional push to keep teams from traveling so loading up teams from the same conference on the same side will be the norm from now on as they cannot afford to start flying teams - this was the danger in expanding the playoffs - and why not put them on the same side - this is not the SOCON or CAA inviitational - just win

appfan2008
November 18th, 2010, 06:51 AM
unfortunately almost every bracket has asu playing wofford by the quarters... that is a bummer i know we crushed them the first time but i dont have much interest in playing a team that wants revenge that early...

Go Apps
November 18th, 2010, 07:17 AM
unfortunately almost every bracket has asu playing wofford by the quarters... that is a bummer i know we crushed them the first time but i dont have much interest in playing a team that wants revenge that early...

Agree on the Wofford - but I do want to play GSU again - talk about revenge!

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Agree on the Wofford - but I do want to play GSU again - talk about revenge!

As long as the game is played in TX then i'd be fine with that. :)

URMite
November 18th, 2010, 08:57 AM
yup, a 43+ point victory over Stony Brook with Charleston Southern scoring more points than Stony Brook. lol

I thought that was only if CCU wins. If CCU loses, I thought SBU/LU game was for the championship.

tribefan40
November 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM
No teams from a conference can meet in round 1 no issues from that point forward as that has always been the case - there will be a regional push to keep teams from traveling so loading up teams from the same conference on the same side will be the norm from now on as they cannot afford to start flying teams - this was the danger in expanding the playoffs - and why not put them on the same side - this is not the SOCON or CAA inviitational - just win

I think what you're trying to say is that they can't meet in the first round but after that all bets are off - you're right - Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games or for secondround games when both teams are playing their first games of the championship; Not sure how my comments could have been construed as a CAA/Socon invitational, I would just rather see teams not be rematched early in the 'offs.

profisme
November 18th, 2010, 05:22 PM

Even if SFA and W&M get seeds ahead of MSU, which I think will be unlikely if MSU wins, MSU would still get a seed ahead of EWU based on their head-to-head result and identical final record.

UNH Fanboi
November 18th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Even if SFA and W&M get seeds ahead of MSU, which I think will be unlikely if MSU wins, MSU would still get a seed ahead of EWU based on their head-to-head result and identical final record.

See UNI and SIU in 2008. They had the same record and SIU won the h2h, but UNI got the seed.

profisme
November 18th, 2010, 05:38 PM
See UNI and SIU in 2008. They had the same record and SIU won the h2h, but UNI got the seed.

Good find, however that was a 27-24 game which SIU won. The Bobcats dismantled EWU 30-7.

Appattk
November 18th, 2010, 05:53 PM

I'd agree.. As an App fan I'd love to see a few "new" teams in Boone, but money is king for NCAA and they'll try to schedule as many geographic matchups as possible....

Appattk
November 18th, 2010, 05:54 PM

They did the same thing to ASU back in 2006... I believe that was the year we played Coastal Carolina twice.....

TwoFeathers
November 18th, 2010, 07:18 PM
No,it meant W&M wasn't.But Just realized Stony Brook is 5-0 in conference,so win or lose and Liberty will probably not make the playoffs.The Tribe needs to win Saturday to get a bye,because losing 3 out of last 4 may not put you in the top 12. That should be a great game, How is you QB position this week?

Callihan played well last week. I'm guessing Paulus will be available after 2 weeks off. One of them should be getting another week of rest.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2010, 01:32 AM

I don't know how the committee will see it. Sure, they have the head to head, but MSU has a bad loss to unranked NAU where they were thumped 34-7. EWU's loss was to a playoff bound team. Strength of schedule will come into play. This is how I see it:
http://s3.postimage.org/yaeyj1xun/EWU_MSU.png

emilimo701
November 19th, 2010, 01:34 AM

It would be SFA @ UNI because UNI would probably bid higher.

It doesn't matter that they already played each other. There have been first-round repeats in the past. The only thing they avoid is first round conference matchups.

emilimo701
November 19th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Good find, however that was a 27-24 game which SIU won. The Bobcats dismantled EWU 30-7.

I think that week was a case of key players being out/injured. I'm not sure though... ask an EWU fan what the excuses were ;) but yeah IIRC there were extenuating circumstances that you just can't see by looking at the box score.... which is why the committee does this and not just by looking at polls/numbers

profisme
November 19th, 2010, 01:47 PM

If MSU beats UM this weekend, they would have a win over EWU, UM, and Sac. State (who with a win over UC-Davis this weekend could be ranked as well). Compare that to SFA's wins over a decent UNI team and a borderline playoff team in McNeese State and I believe MSU will jump SFA in the rankings and get a higher seed.

profisme
November 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I think that week was a case of key players being out/injured. I'm not sure though... ask an EWU fan what the excuses were ;) but yeah IIRC there were extenuating circumstances that you just can't see by looking at the box score.... which is why the committee does this and not just by looking at polls/numbers

The Bobcats had a starting DT suspended for that game and Taiwan Jones played the first half and got injured at the end of the half. The Bobcats had him "bottled up" as well as anyone has done that to him in the last couple years. That was a butt-kicking. The Bobcats dominated that game from start to finish.