PDA

View Full Version : Holy tiebreakers!

emilimo701
November 16th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I hope nobody minds that I'm consolidating these into one thread.

1) Who wins the Southland if Central AK beats McNeese State and Northwestern State beats SFA?

I'm pretty sure, based on the rules that TexasTerror posted, that if SFA loses, McNeese State wins the southland regardless of whether they win or lose. Is this the case?

2) Who wins the Big South if Coastal Carolina beats Charleston Southern and LIberty beats Stony Brook?

3) Who wins the MEAC if South Carolina State beats North Carolina A&T and Florida A&M beats Bethune-Cookman?

TexasTerror
November 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM
The SLC spelled it out better than I ever could...

Stephen F. Austin can clinch the title outright if Central Arkansas can pull the upset of McNeese. The Cowboys would earn an outright title if they win and Northwestern State beats the Lumberjacks in Nacogdoches, Texas. If the Demons can beat SFA, they are also pulling for a Central Arkansas victory over McNeese. Should that happen, Northwestern would earn a share of the conference crown, but more importantly, would lock up the league's playoff bid.

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205031587

GSUhooligan
November 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Lets go SFA!!!!

McNeeserocket
November 16th, 2010, 03:26 PM
The SLC spelled it out better than I ever could...

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205031587

Here is how McNeese is looking at the game this weekend. McNeese needs to win. If McNeese wins they will do no worse than share the Southland Conference Title. Anything else (including going to the playoffs is out of their hands). McNeese controls McNeese. Yes they would love to be able to participate in the playoffs. If circumstances allow for McNeese to be selected to participate in the playoffs than it is icing on the cake.

mcveyrl
November 16th, 2010, 03:32 PM
For the Big South...http://www.bigsouthsports.com/pdf8/723158.pdf

Page 4.

Three way tiebreaker is less points allowed in conference.

Right now, PA in conference is this:

Stony Brook...68
Coastal........106
Liberty.........110

Basically, if Coastal wins, Liberty has to score 43 points more than SB to overtake Stony Brook for the auto-bid and then it will depend on how many points CSU scored earlier in the day. If Coastal shuts them out or holds them to a field goal, Liberty is done.

So Liberty's rooting for at least a CSU touchdown and Coastal wants Liberty to win 70-27. Should make for an interesting Saturday in the Big South.

Klandbulldog
November 16th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I hope nobody minds that I'm consolidating these into one thread.

1) Who wins the Southland if Central AK beats McNeese State and Northwestern State beats SFA?

I'm pretty sure, based on the rules that TexasTerror posted, that if SFA loses, McNeese State wins the southland regardless of whether they win or lose. Is this the case?

2) Who wins the Big South if Coastal Carolina beats Charleston Southern and LIberty beats Stony Brook?

3) Who wins the MEAC if South Carolina State beats North Carolina A&T and Florida A&M beats Bethune-Cookman?

If SCSU & FAMU win it's a 3-way tie and BCU gets the auto bid due to tie breaker rules.
If SCSU & BCU lose, FAMU gets the auto bid due to head to head tie breaker rule with BCU.

rgp44
November 16th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Most likely scenario is Liberty beats Stony Brook and Coastal wins but SB gets the autobid on points against which means they're in at 6-5 and Liberty is probably out at 8-3. Ironic since Liberty hasn't gotten in previously because of the lack of an autobid and the first year the BS gets one they won't get it and will be kept out of the playoffs, again.

bodoyle
November 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
It will be an interesting day. I don't expect CCU to win the tie breakers, but it is a great comeback after a 1-4 start.

IaaScribe
November 19th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Personally, I like the Big South tiebreaker, because it's related to what happens on the field. Going by the RPI throws in the element of human bias, since Liberty remains ranked in the human polls. It's a more true way of determining the champion. Stony Brook has dominated teams in the conference more thoroughly than Liberty or Coastal has. The Seawolves should be rewarded for that.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM
So the 24 points CCU gave up in OT is counting against them? That seems screwed up.

[EDIT] NM

IaaScribe
November 19th, 2010, 02:17 PM
What may hurt Coastal was the curious decision to not punch the ball in from the 2 yard line in the closing seconds last week against Liberty. That could have been a kill shot to the Flames' hopes. I'm all for sportsmanship, but if you're Bennett, you have to score that TD.

Liberty coach Danny Rocco has already said this week that if his team is in position to run up the score (a gigantic if considering how well Stony Brook is playing right now), he's obligated to do it. I'm sure Chuck Priore would say the same thing. The coaches voted on the tiebreaker, so they can't fault a fellow coach for doing what's necessary to win the auto bid.

OhioHen
November 19th, 2010, 02:42 PM
1) Who wins the Southland if Central AK beats McNeese State ?

When did Central Alaska start a football program? xsmiley_wix

emilimo701
November 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
When did Central Alaska start a football program? xsmiley_wix

hehe oops