PDA

View Full Version : Who Gets the #1 if........

HappyAppy13
November 16th, 2010, 11:22 AM
App State and Del both win?? (I feel it would have to be ASU seeing as they would have beaten UF. Although both have tough games this week as Del takes on 'Nova.)
More intriguingly, if App and Del both lose while EW and/or JSU win? xeyebrowx

I absolutely love this time of year...'bout to get even more interesting!!

Good luck to all in the last week of the regular seasonxthumbsupx

FCS Go!
November 16th, 2010, 11:24 AM
App gets it in both circumstances you outlined. App loss & UD win = UD #1 seed.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Agreed

MacThor
November 16th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I don't think it matters; those are your #1 and #2 seeds, unless UD gets absolutely creamed. There's no difference between 1 and 2 in the playoffs!

soccerguy315
November 16th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I'm not confident that UD has a 1/2 locked up

ASU loses, UD wins = UD #1, ASU #2
ASU wins, UD wins = ASU #1, UD #2
ASU loses, UD loses = ASU #1, UD = lower
ASU wins, UD loses = ASU #1, UD = lower

W&M can actually take the CAA autobid (I think) if UD loses and W&M wins against Richmond.

superman7515
November 16th, 2010, 12:04 PM
And as an App fan pointed out in another thread, #2 may actually be the easier row to hoe. You get #3 in your bracket, but #1 gets #4 & #5. Since the rest are not seeded, it can actually be substantially more difficult for #1 as opposed to #2 depending on where teams get placed.

AppStsGr8
November 16th, 2010, 12:09 PM
And as an App fan pointed out in another thread, #2 may actually be the easier row to hoe. You get #3 in your bracket, but #1 gets #4 & #5. Since the rest are not seeded, it can actually be substantially more difficult for #1 as opposed to #2 depending on where teams get placed.

And it's for this reason that I'll be rooting for UD this weekend, not to mention that if they win, it could put a great team in Villanova on the outside looking in.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM
And it's for this reason that I'll be rooting for UD this weekend, not to mention that if they win, it could put a great team in Villanova on the outside looking in.

Actually, I'd rather get the #1 seed and be paired up in the same bracket as the #4 and #5 seeds. It's unlikey the CAA gets more than 1 seed, so the #4 and #5 seeds could very well be the OVC and MEAC winners, or SFA. I'd take any of those teams as a matchup over having to play W&M or UNH. The more seeds on my side of the bracket means less CAA teams.

Oh, and Appy gets the #1 seed if the beat Florida - Delaware could beat nova by 50 and they wouldn't be able to trump that win.

soccerguy315
November 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Actually, I'd rather get the #1 seed and be paired up in the same bracket as the #4 and #5 seeds. It's unlikey the CAA gets more than 1 seed, so the #4 and #5 seeds could very well be the OVC and MEAC winners, or SFA. I'd take any of those teams as a matchup over having to play W&M or UNH. The more seeds on my side of the bracket means less CAA teams.

Oh, and Appy gets the #1 seed if the beat Florida - Delaware could beat nova by 50 and they wouldn't be able to trump that win.

if Delaware loses this weekend (which I don't expect them to), I think both W&M and UD would be strongly in the running for 2 of the 3/4/5 seeds.

bullseye44
November 16th, 2010, 01:17 PM
if Delaware loses this weekend (which I don't expect them to), I think both W&M and UD would be strongly in the running for 2 of the 3/4/5 seeds.

I agree - if UD loses and W&M wins, doesn't W&M have to be right there with UD in terms of seeding? W&M and UD would be 8-2 each against FCS competition. UD's 9th win 31-0 over West Chester doesn't trump the Tribe's 21-17 loss to UNC. I call W&M's 17-16 win over UD a push since we were at home, but at the end of the day, with essentially the same resume and a head-to-head win, I'd have to think the committee would favor W&M.

Of course, I don't think Nova is going to beat UD, so it's probably moot.

GunsAndGuitars
November 16th, 2010, 01:19 PM

xnodx

Keeping Nova out is in NO way a bad thing for everybody else. I'm still not convinced that App will beat Florida, so I'm hesitant to speak seriously about it, but I would LOVE to see it happen.

asknoquarter21
November 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Imagine a scenerio of ASU and UD both losing and W&M winning

ASU gets #1
W&M gets #4
UD gets #5

Not to mention regonalization that would put most of the good Eastern team in that half of the bracket.

#2 would be EWU and #3 would be MSU or SFA, possibly JSU

I think I will speak for us all in saying I hope that situation doesn't occur.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 16th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Statistically speaking, #2s win the championship much more often than #1s.

Teams with 2 or 3 losses are also twice as likely to win the championship as opposed to teams with 0 or 1 loss. So ...

Go Hens! You're #1 !!

xsmileyclapx

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2010, 01:33 PM
ASU will be a 1 or 2 win or lose this week. UD will be seeded win or lose this week.

soccerguy315
November 16th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Imagine a scenerio of ASU and UD both losing and W&M winning

ASU gets #1
W&M gets #4
UD gets #5

Not to mention regonalization that would put most of the good Eastern team in that half of the bracket.

#2 would be EWU and #3 would be MSU or SFA, possibly JSU

I think I will speak for us all in saying I hope that situation doesn't occur.

hopefully W&M would sneak the #3 seed in that instance (maybe the committee wants to avoid a potential rematch down the line?) and UD would get the 4 or 5. That would spread out the teams a little bit.

appstate38
November 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Being a top 2 seed is really all that matters.... And having the Playoffs come through The Rock will be fine with me. Different kind of atmosphere during the playoffs... Should be more electric seeing how we have had to do more traveling last year. I for one, would love to have the Griz come to Boone during the playoffs.

Chemhen
November 16th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I agree - if UD loses and W&M wins, doesn't W&M have to be right there with UD in terms of seeding? W&M and UD would be 8-2 each against FCS competition. UD's 9th win 31-0 over West Chester doesn't trump the Tribe's 21-17 loss to UNC. I call W&M's 17-16 win over UD a push since we were at home, but at the end of the day, with essentially the same resume and a head-to-head win, I'd have to think the committee would favor W&M.

Of course, I don't think Nova is going to beat UD, so it's probably moot.

I'd agree with all of that, except I think that W&M's loss to UNC actually trumps UD's win over West Chester.

Nebuta
November 16th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I think UD's GPI is high enough it could take a hit and still give them a #3-4 seed regardless of a lost to Nova. A major factor would be if William and Mary is 7-4 or 8-3. UD could get a 2# seed if the get the CAA AQ and had a game or two break their way imho.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I think UD's GPI is high enough it could take a hit and still give them a #3-4 seed regardless of a lost to Nova. A major factor would be if William and Mary is 7-4 or 8-3. UD could get a 2# seed if the get the CAA AQ and had a game or two break their way imho.

UD's not getting anything lower than a #4 seed right now - $$$$ trumps a lot of things and UD can bring a lot of $$$ in with home games. The #4 seed gets to host the #5 seed in the quarters if they both make it that far.

soccerguy315
November 16th, 2010, 04:50 PM

right... if W&M wins and UD loses, then I think UD still deserves a seed, but it would seem like W&M should be seeded 1-2 spots ahead of them if W&M has the AQ and head to head win, that is why I was thinking along the lines of W&M at 3 and UD at 4 or 5. If UD wins, they keep their #1 unless ASU beats Florida, in which case UD takes #2, IMO. If W&M wins they might still be in the running for a 4/5 seed (W&M has strong GPI)

MacThor
November 16th, 2010, 10:36 PM
It would be extremely rare for a 3-loss team to get a top two seed, or any seed at all. I realize this year there are not a lot of 1-or-fewer loss teams like last year, but it still hardly ever happens. The only case I can think of is ASU in 2005, and two of their losses were to 1-A.

The committee has seeded at-large teams from the same conference as an unseeded AQ, if their overall record was better. That's why I could see a 2-loss UD getting a seed while a 3-loss AQ W&M doesn't.

Nebuta
November 17th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Yeah I agree. UD wins and ASU loses. They are a lock for 1#. ASU wins UD falls #2 with a win. UD could lose and W&M win. I would think the commitee would put W&M above UD just for the fact the Tribe win the AQ. So maybe 3# W&m and UD#4. Thats why I said regardless of the outcome next weekend, UD is no worst then a #3-4 seed. and UD could get #2 seed if others lose besides W&M.

chattownmocs
November 17th, 2010, 07:23 AM
It depends on who you think is number 1 right now. If you have Appy at number 1 than a loss against florida should not hurt them. If they are number 2 then they probably need to beat florida.

HensRock
November 17th, 2010, 07:36 AM
right... if W&M wins and UD loses, then I think UD still deserves a seed, but it would seem like W&M should be seeded 1-2 spots ahead of them if W&M has the AQ and head to head win, that is why I was thinking along the lines of W&M at 3 and UD at 4 or 5. If UD wins, they keep their #1 unless ASU beats Florida, in which case UD takes #2, IMO. If W&M wins they might still be in the running for a 4/5 seed (W&M has strong GPI)

Don't assume an AQ always gets a higher seed than an AL. There are precedents where an AL was seeded while the AQ from the same conference was not.

HensRock
November 17th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Statistically speaking, #2s win the championship much more often than #1s.

Teams with 2 or 3 losses are also twice as likely to win the championship as opposed to teams with 0 or 1 loss. So ...

Go Hens! You're #1 !!

xsmileyclapx

What is your source for these stats?
There is no difference between #1 and #2 as both get home field until the NC Game. The stats also bear this out as #1 and #2 have claimed an equal number of championships - 7 each.

...And AMEN Sideline, what a lopsided bracket THAT would be!

emilimo701
November 17th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I don't think it matters; those are your #1 and #2 seeds, unless UD gets absolutely creamed. There's no difference between 1 and 2 in the playoffs!

yes there is. #1 seed means you would be playing the #4 team if they advance instead of the #3 seed. Some years there is a big gap between the 3 and 4 seeds. However, I don't think this is one of those years.

RabidRabbit
November 17th, 2010, 12:52 PM

^^This^^^

If UD & App St lose, IMHO a 10-1 JSU with a BCS win is #1.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 17th, 2010, 12:57 PM
If UD & App St lose, IMHO a 10-1 JSU with a BCS win is #1.

I doubt it, for more or less the same reason Boise and TCU won't be playing for the BCS title in the unlikely event they are the only two unbeaten FBS squads. Rightly or wrongly, the OVC isn't viewed as highly as the SoCon and CAA. Beside UD and App are both going to win this weekend anyway.

Walkon79
November 17th, 2010, 04:14 PM
App State and Del both win?? (I feel it would have to be ASU seeing as they would have beaten UF. Although both have tough games this week as Del takes on 'Nova.)
More intriguingly, if App and Del both lose while EW and/or JSU win? xeyebrowx

I absolutely love this time of year...'bout to get even more interesting!!

Good luck to all in the last week of the regular seasonxthumbsupx

Once again I don't see this logic. EWU and MSU with the same record and a head to head favoring the Cats? (I know, big IF includes winning the brawl)

But if that happens then EWU shouldn't even be ranked ahead of the Cats, let alone #1

JSU85GRAD
November 17th, 2010, 05:38 PM
App gets a 1 or 2 seed unless they lose by more than 48 which I really don't see that happening. The real issue will be UD if they lose. IF UD loses then I give the #2 seed to JSU assuming they win this weekend. I know everyone will chime in that the OVC is weak, etc, etc, but I don't see how you can keep a 10-1 team with a win against an SEC team (even a bad SEC team) from getting the nod over a 2 or 3 loss team without that type quality win. It would also help JSU's resume if UTC beat Wofford because then they would have beaten the #2 team in the Socon. Remember JSU has OOC wins against Socon and SEC. How does that stack up against EWU or MSU????? IF UD wins they get the 1 or 2 seed and JSU gets the #3 spot because of the aforementioned.