PDA

View Full Version : SHSU AD Gets All-American Football Honor

TexasTerror
May 10th, 2005, 01:27 PM
From the SHSU athletics web site, our athletic director recieved an award from the All-American Football Foundation. Never heard of the foundation, but it truly seems like a great honor considering how many Division I universities are apart of this group.

http://www.shsu.edu/%7Eath_www/adaward.htm

SHSU’S BOBBY WILLIAMS RECEIVES AWARD
FROM ALL-AMERICAN FOOTBALL FOUNDATION

May 10, 2005

DALLAS - Bobby Williams, Sam Houston State University director of athletics, received the General Robert R. Neyland Outstanding Athletic Director Award Tuesday night at the All-American Football Foundation’s 70th annual Banquet of Champions at the Hyatt Regency Reunion Hotel.

A total of 196 NCAA Division I universities plus 15 Bowl Associations are members of the All-American Football Foundation. Other awards presented honor outstanding head football coaches, assistant coaches, and athletic administration personnel.

Williams, who joined the Sam Houston State staff as an assistant football coach in 1982, has served as director of athletics since 1998. In his seven years at the helm of the athletic program, the Bearkats have won two Southland Conference football championships, earned two NCAA Division I-AA playoff berths (reaching the national quarterfinals in 2001 and the semifinals in 2004), and achieved the University’s highest I-AA final national ranking (fourth in 2004).

Sam Houston State also has won two Southland Conference men’s basketball titles, the SLC women’s golf championship, and the Southland Men’s All-Sports Trophy. Under Williams’ direction, new baseball and softball facilities are under construction, the new York Track & Field Center has been completed and will be the site of the 2005 Southland Conference Track & Field Championships, and a new modern press box has been built at Bowers Stadium. New marketing and fund raising programs have raised attendance at Bearkat home events and outside revenue for the department. Academically, Sam Houston State athletes have achieved their highest grade point averages in school history as well.

“I am honored to receive this recognition and understand that it is attributed to the commitment and hard work of all the student-athletes, coaches, and staff of our athletic department,” Williams said. “Their efforts make Sam Houston State one of the top intercollegiate programs in the Southland Conference and the state of Texas. My wife Janet and daughters, Audrey and Alex, also share this honor. I thank them for allowing me to pursue my dreams in college athletics.”

blackfordpu
May 10th, 2005, 05:22 PM
:nod: Another small step up the ladder for Sam Houston. :nod:

TexasTerror
May 10th, 2005, 06:16 PM
You know, I think the thing I like most is our AD's commitment to academics. We've got a GPA that continues to go up. It's gone up a helluva lot and that's with more athletes. Ten years ago, we had a semester GPA of 2.39. Now we're fixing to eclispse 2.8 as the teams combined for 2.78.

I think we can all agree, college athletics is two fold. Success on the field, but most importantly, success off. These stories often go without a mention. Academic success and just being a quality individual, this is what our athletic programs need to bring in.

blackfordpu
May 10th, 2005, 10:53 PM
You know, I think the thing I like most is our AD's commitment to academics. We've got a GPA that continues to go up. It's gone up a helluva lot and that's with more athletes. Ten years ago, we had a semester GPA of 2.39. Now we're fixing to eclispse 2.8 as the teams combined for 2.78.

I think we can all agree, college athletics is two fold. Success on the field, but most importantly, success off. These stories often go without a mention. Academic success and just being a quality individual, this is what our athletic programs need to bring in.

Not just the athletes but the entire student body quality is going up. I have been here for 2.5 years and each semester brings better people to the school. There is a huge difference in the student body now then how it was when I first arrived here.

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Not just the athletes but the entire student body quality is going up. I have been here for 2.5 years and each semester brings better people to the school. There is a huge difference in the student body now then how it was when I first arrived here.

Eh, depends what you make of it. Just yesterday, I released research on the SHSU BB about drinking arrests on campus going up double this year. Was this because of a crackdown by university police? It obviously didn't stop anything nor was anyone informed about such a move.

Academics is on the rise. President has increased requirements to get in and of course that is leading to better students all around, which may have helped the athletes GPA as well, but the athletic dept is focusing on academics and that is good.

blackfordpu
May 11th, 2005, 12:25 PM
UPD was cracking down on student parties and drinking on university property. Also, they are enforcing the 30 mph speed limit on Sam Houston Ave. and have pulled over many people thus far for not abiding by it.